Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

StephenReid

What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?  

2,196 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?

• 'Raw' Open World
    • PvPvE balanced
    • Faction population capped
    • Guild based (non-faction specific)

Thats why pvp bases on other planets is needed. It would thin out the fights. The main problem with ilum is the outnumbered side had no where to go.

Guys u do realize the game is already out right? There is no "if" factions are un balanced.

So to put it simply I take it,

Raw equals ilum at the very start.

PVPVE equals post "fix"

The faction capped is something like Tol barad which is not really bad...

And guild is the current outlaws den... What if they made it large scale? Could be fun... But I can see large guilds just owning the place :/

Again I think most voted PvPvE remembering castle warfare... But with unlimited numbers the quality will drop ALOT just like it did in Ilum.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the idea of having Guild Based OWPVP. This gives guilds something else to do as a guild. It encourages Pride and Teamwork.

This could even be brought into the realm of Attacking other guilds capital ships when they come in.

This not only creates a way to get rid of the bland repub vs empire battles and goes along with the cannon of during this era there is much infighting between dark side factions.

This can also bring into play the Alliances that you had pre game launch on the forums as well as a possibility to bring in another aspect of endgame content with a pvp meta game feature. With the possibility to add in new planets that are specifically for this new guild on guild action.

You still have the same leveling planets but adding in maybe 5 or 6 new planets with PVP in the main focus of them. You can gain valor commendations or even rare crafting mats for the the owning of certain territories. Maybe even and XP gain buff for your guild for different objectives held. Maybe even a monetary gain as well for over time holding of an area.

The possibilities are endless, This could truly make this game completely original in a way that really hasnt been seen before.

Run with it!!

As one if the poster's above mentioned the only way to make it more fair considering the faction balance is to make it guild based, and completely ignore the faction stuff.

If the guilds actually have something to fight for that will benefit the guild later on its the best you can get from open world pvp.

Raw open world is great but its never going to happen in a game that has ANY factions even if you somehow encourage ppl to make chars on both sides ( the 8 buffs you so fear for example) there will always be imbalance or ppl will simply switch to the char on the other side when they see it winning.

As for the other 2 options pvpve balanced and capped population they belong in instances for example warzones. If you can make bigger warzones say 24 v 24 or even 100 v 100 its still going to be a warzone and you should not call it open world especially if there are objectives that give advantages/points

So considering your poll has only 3 options ( raw, guild based and bigger warzones - which is not open world pvp) and the fact that you cant fix faction balance in a open uncapped world no matter how hard you try - there is no real choice there :(

I'm sure all would welcome bigger warzones specially if they are event based once a week/day with some cool story/rewards.

But if you want to do somehting for the open world pvp it has to be guild based with rewads for the winning guild.

Thats why pvp bases on other planets is needed. It would thin out the fights. The main problem with ilum is the outnumbered side had no where to go.

Sorry but I am highly skeptical of ur solution... I mean if u think of ilum instances as planets (its not far fetched) what happened was everyone farmed the one instance or planet while all/most the other options were left like ghost towns

What is the point of owning something no one is attacking? You expect Empire to chase republics around to different planets to cap whatever they took? We already know if they are that imbalanced to run around capping things in low pop planets then they wouldn't want to actually defend something they took when they can just bounce to another planet and retake something when empire moved to fight them. So all you end up with is base trading.... I don't see that happening long at all.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

Open World PvP with some PvE bolstering is probably the best out of those choices in this game environment. I also think we need a time-based objective like Tol Barad or Wintergrasp.

At first I hated the idea of copying that setup from WoW, but it really does work. Having everyone get ready for a wild large-scale PvP match at a set time every 2 hours makes it feel way more important than a never-ending Open World PvP like Ilum was.

Guild based is a real bad choice

u have rated for those

The thing is balance, nobody wants to get rolled by x2 numbers

illum was a grind fest for valor

world pvp for objectives and some faction bonuses could work

hard to say when almost all servers are imp heavy

To me, the best PvP is just spontaneous PvP out in the world and not designating a planet for Open World PvP or placing objectives in specific areas.

Fun open world PvP to me is just walking around doing your own thing, but you can be attacker or attack someone at any time. Which is how PvP servers are set up currently except the way the game is designed, you don't really run into the other faction much.

I definitely appreciate the fact that 1-50 for imps and reps are completely unique, but I think, we need some daily areas that cross over. I'm assuming the new Corellia daily area is going to be separated? Ideally I would like to see all daily areas from now on be the same for both republic and imperials and let us run into each other while doing quests.

Let PvP happen, don't force it.

I'm 100% in agreement with this. I always thought the point of joining a PVP server was that while you were leveling or doing whatever you usually do out in the "world" - you would need to keep one eye over your shoulder, as you could be attacked at any moment by someone of the opposite faction. This adds to the excitement of the game and breaks up the monotony of "go here kill that" that inevitably comes along with questing/running missions etc. As it is now it seems that factions are always on opposite sides of whichever planet you happen to be on, and it takes a lot of effort to go out and find players of the opposite faction to spice up your day.

Thats b/c thier was no other pvp bases to go to. All thier is ilum or warzones. If you had pvp bases elsewhere youd at least have somewhere to go to instead of bieng camped or do warzones.I dont know what other options your talking about?

Sorry but I am highly skeptical of ur solution... I mean if u think of ilum instances as planets (its not far fetched) what happened was everyone farmed the one instance or planet while all/most the other options were left like ghost towns

in order to have base trading you would need enough on both sides to do so. The other thing is thiers people who think theres more to pvp then sitting outside the opposing teams bases when its 60 imps vs 12 reps. The point is those people would have some where else to go to fight not sitting their going i wish thier was somewhere else to go to pvp at.

Yes thier will be base trading i wont deny that in all fairness. Overall though it would work out better for those not wanting to sit at the other sides base bored to death. It would thin out the fights and give reps other options

What is the point of owning something no one is attacking? You expect Empire to chase republics around to different planets to cap whatever they took? We already know if they are that imbalanced to run around capping things in low pop planets then they wouldn't want to actually defend something they took when they can just bounce to another planet and retake something when empire moved to fight them. So all you end up with is base trading.... I don't see that happening long at all.

i.e ganking lowbies lol

I'm 100% in agreement with this. I always thought the point of joining a PVP server was that while you were leveling or doing whatever you usually do out in the "world" - you would need to keep one eye over your shoulder, as you could be attacked at any moment by someone of the opposite faction. This adds to the excitement of the game and breaks up the monotony of "go here kill that" that inevitably comes along with questing/running missions etc. As it is now it seems that factions are always on opposite sides of whichever planet you happen to be on, and it takes a lot of effort to go out and find players of the opposite faction to spice up your day.

I'm stupid. I voted before reading the descriptions. My nervous system seems to have a mind of it's own, and I clicked before I really thought about it. I thought PvPvE meant that these two things would be balanced in terms of gear, meaning expertise etc.

I would LOVE to see PvPvE in SWTOR. As a PVE player, Wintergrasp in WoW was one of a few PVP games I enjoyed. It would be nice to have such an arena that catered to both strengths, and where you didn't simply have to faceroll people by picking whatever spec is the most powerful at the moment, and pimping it out with gear that no casual player has a hope in hell of getting. Wintergrasp was the big equalizer.

EDIT: Also this game, and the servers, have such an obvious leaning towards Empire side, that without equalizing it, openworld PVP wouldn't really work anyway. Empire would dominate just as is the case now in warzones.

Edited by Bugjuice

Agreed. Sadly, I think this is the core thing missing from PvP in SWTOR. We need quests that direct players into the opposite faction areas. That alone would create dynamic open-world PvP. The current quest-lines keep you far too separated. There's nothing wrong with having a little gankfest here and there. :)

I would love to see the new world boss on Voss be a contested area even on PvE servers. I think it would be a cool thing to fight over and being on such a low pop server I think having an arena where same factions can go and fight each other would be awesome.

We have been having duels in Elshus mind trap lately just because it's a cool area to fight in, something like that but much bigger would be cool to fight in also.

1) I love this game and I love open world pvp. Unfortunately with the recent warzone changes Ilum is consistently empty. Bad world pvp is still better than none...while Illum was repetitive at least the fights were large in scale and epic. A little zerg definitely adds a little color to the pvp scene and if you cant tell I miss it dearly.

2) Id love an increase in the possibility of encountering the opposite faction while questing in any new zones. Via by design or proximity.

3) I love large chaotic fights...I'd love to see Warzones that cap out 16,24,36 per side.

4) PvPvE is definitely something to consider. Taking keeps in Lotro, Warhammer was fun and interesting.

5) My Sorc would love you if you gave him another burst tool and a defensive cool down that can't be used offensively. Aggro drop ability Im looking at you... (yes im being greedy)

6) Valor legacy unlocks that give quick travel options from anywhere in the game to "open world" pvp areas.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by joedivision

There are two designated pvp areas now, make one a faction vs faction sort of thing, make the other an area where the outnumbered side is compensated, and have them go off every 3 hours, at different times.

Evenly matched pvp is for warzones. I'd also like there to be a large scale warzone for such things, 20 on 20 atleast.

Yes thier will be base trading i wont deny that in all fairness. Overall though it would work out better for those not wanting to sit at the other sides base bored to death. It would thin out the fights and give reps other options

This is not the direction that BioWare needs to go. I can't believe your are encouraging base trading when you know that is exactly all your system would accomplish. People need reasons to want to fight to keep a base just as bad as they need reasons to take it in the first place. If all you do is trade bases then that is NOT fun. That is NOT PvP. That is PvE in a PvP zone. We don't need another Warhammer here. We need something more like DAoC or Aion. A game with a 3rd faction to balance sides and then give players a reason to not only take a base, but to defend it.

This is not the direction that BioWare needs to go. I can't believe your are encouraging base trading when you know that is exactly all your system would accomplish. People need reasons to want to fight to keep a base just as bad as they need reasons to take it in the first place. If all you do is trade bases then that is NOT fun. That is NOT PvP. That is PvE in a PvP zone. We don't need another Warhammer here. We need something more like DAoC or Aion. A game with a 3rd faction to balance sides and then give players a reason to not only take a base, but to defend it.

I don't see a 3rd faction coming any time, or honestly ever.. But you are right about being more like DAoC and less like WAR, and that being the rewards for the open world PvP.

Warhammer rewarded the individual... People just wanted their next piece of epic loot, and used the most efficient way to get it. Trading wins

DAoC rewarded the entire faction with bonuses, and a dungeon. People wanted these, and would defend the keeps to maintain the rewards. Typically dropping whatever they were doing to help when an opposing raid occured.

Edited by Tic-

I don't see a 3rd faction coming any time, or honestly ever.. But you are right about being more like DAoC and less like WAR, and that being the rewards for the open world PvP.

Warhammer rewarded the individual... People just wanted their next piece of epic loot, and used the most efficient way to get it. Trading wins

DAoC rewarded the faction with bonuses, and a dungeon. People wanted these, and would defend the keeps to keep it.

You have the right idea, but they stated

"PvPvE balanced - bolstering the underdog faction through NPCs, turrets, etc. Factions claim objectives."

NPCs could be more than just defenders for your base. They can be a 3rd faction like in Aion that helps to regulate open world RvR. That is what I want to see along with what you said.

Not really on topic - but yes, we'll be at PAX East.

He's a very busy man and has minions who can handle that task (ie, me).

also off topic

ie vs eg battle. i concede both make sense in this scenario, but I lean towards eg.

Im not encouraging base trading hell that goes on now in ilum lol. I said that yes that would happen but if you had enough pvp bases on enough planets all the base trading in the world is meaningless.

So re state i do not condone base trading i said yes it would happen with other planet pvp bases. For the record base trading goes on now in ilum as it is and i dont agree with that either

Open world pvp has to have decent rewards. Valor that unlocks gear is a poor choice.

PVP drops and cash is a great way to reward players for trading objectives.

Defendable forts would be a great mechanic too, give people a roll on the place changing hands and or like daoc give the realm a bonus for holding it.

Give guilds a roll by giving them a reward for claiming/holding