Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Oh, writers do interviews. Lead Writer Hall Hood did one for a Torwars podcast last month. Why they never mention SGRs is more of a mystery. It may have something to do with this "approval process", it may be a general NDA, it may be that Mr. Hood simply doesn't care about same-gender content (which, given the Smuggler class as it stands, would not remotely surprise me).

And yes, it was the Gabe Amatangelo interview that cautionsly mentioned Makeb in relation to SGRs.

We are overdue an update. This should have been in at launch and it's omission may have been explained but has never been apologized for. Shabby treatment since is just not helping. Like, at all.

EDIT - I don't think your message is rude, but I might have waited for a weekday, when Allison is more likely to be at work. ;)

Edited by Uluain

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure they don't automagically delete things that come in over the weekend >.> That's the beauty of the internet, things can rot for days if they have to.

Although if you're right about Hall Hood that does explain why we haven't heard anything about SGRA's. He may have put them on the back burner in the favour of more... mainstream things.

I really ought not to make my frustration-fueled suspicions into anything like personal accusations, so let me stress that I can only say how things seem to me, where I am sitting, and things I worry about (often baselessly).

Instead of imagining hobgoblins in the writers' studio, I've simply sent Hall Hood a tweet (I loathe Twitter, but it has it's uses) hoping for some info. Who knows what may happen?

Also, on the statistical front, the SGR clarifications thread, over its six incarnations, alone accounts for 10% of all posts on Story and Lore. Not necessarily germane, but I like these things. :)

Edited by Uluain

You're not alone on your hatred of Twitter. I don't think I've used it in years, however reading everyone inspired me to do my part. I think I'm going to try to start being more proactive. Tonight I also sent Hall Hood a tweet requesting more information for the SGR thread. Go Team Venture! :p

It makes it hard to keep some faith in BioWare at times. For example, it really seems like they'll drop spoilers for many many other aspects of the game, such as hinting Cathar were going to be a playable race before the xpac. Yet, they won't give this thread/community a lick of information about SGRs, and telling us it's "coming soon," is not working anymore. Especially if 1.5 ends up not having the content and we don't get any new info. The feeling of being treated like a second or even third class citizen(as a player,) is really taking its toll on morale.

**I didn't catch that Hall also wrote the JK storyline. It certainly explains Doc to me, although the rest of the story and companions were really good.**

Edited by natashina

**I didn't catch that Hall also wrote the JK storyline. It certainly explains Doc to me, although the rest of the story and companions were really good.**

I'd just like to address this point: I have no issue with Doc's personality. He's a womaniser and far too sure of himself, yes, but that's who he is. There's a bunch of other really interesting stuff going on there (his shady grip on ethics vs his sheer medical genius, for example, and the fact that he really DOES want to help people and do the right thing but just needs reminding every now and then) and I don't have any issue with him being a bit dodgy. He's a sleaze, sure, but even sleazes need love. Or some form of equivalent.

The only issue I see with the matter (and it's a fairly significant issue) is that there's no other option. If he was one option amongst several it'd be a very different matter. My JK thinks he's an awesome guy and a very good friend. But she wouldn't jump him and as there's no other option she spends her time staring at Kira's butt and thinking that perhaps the Force is just telling her 'no, you don't get to be with anyone'.

I'd just like to address this point: I have no issue with Doc's personality. He's a womaniser and far too sure of himself, yes, but that's who he is. There's a bunch of other really interesting stuff going on there (his shady grip on ethics vs his sheer medical genius, for example, and the fact that he really DOES want to help people and do the right thing but just needs reminding every now and then) and I don't have any issue with him being a bit dodgy. He's a sleaze, sure, but even sleazes need love. Or some form of equivalent.

Fair enough. I did develop quite the "bro-mance" with him on my JK. His first impressions on me when I did try a female JK were poor to the say the least.

The only issue I see with the matter (and it's a fairly significant issue) is that there's no other option. If he was one option amongst several it'd be a very different matter. My JK thinks he's an awesome guy and a very good friend. But she wouldn't jump him and as there's no other option she spends her time staring at Kira's butt and thinking that perhaps the Force is just telling her 'no, you don't get to be with anyone'.

That's been my biggest issues for both my JK and my SW. Doc just seemed almost stereotyped as the womanizer, which was the turn off for me. Granted, I know the character has more depth to that(there is a reason why my affection is maxed with him,) but he just seemed too sleazy for the only option as lady JK. Same thing with Quinn; once I got over a couple of key events in the game, the guy grew on me. I was just very sad that my poor SW doesn't see Quinn that way, can't stay with Pierce and watches Jaesa from across the ship.

I hate having a "but thou must" in this game. Want to romance Kira/Jaesa/Vette? But thou must be a guy toon! Want to romance Torian/Quinn/Corso? But thou must be a lady toon! :rolleyes:

Edited by natashina

I hate having a "but thou must" in this game. Want to romance Kira/Jaesa/Vette? But thou must be a guy toon! Want to romance Torian/Quinn/Corso? But thou must be a lady toon! :rolleyes:

What? Are you daring to imply that player choice might be a preferable situation to having our options dictated to us? Why, that's nonsense! Next you'll be telling me that female players can have male characters and male players female characters - THEN think of where we'll be! :eek:

What? Are you daring to imply that player choice might be a preferable situation to having our options dictated to us? Why, that's nonsense! Next you'll be telling me that female players can have male characters and male players female characters - THEN think of where we'll be! :eek:

Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria? :D

Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria? :D

Wookies and Jawas and bears, oh my!

On a more serious note, it's possible 1.4 will drop this week, meaning that we then have a magical six-week period to await whatever new content they can apparently crank out in that time, so we may - hopefully - get more information during that time. Well, well overdue information of course.

"We pleased to announce that SGRA's are coming in the near future, but we have no determined date yet! Thank you for your continued patience. On a lighter note, here's a new event we scripted and shot in a lunch hour, yay!"

Edited by Tatile

Wookies and Jawas and bears, oh my!

On a more serious note, it's possible 1.4 will drop this week, meaning that we then have a magical six-week period to await whatever new content they can apparently crank out in that time, so we may - hopefully - get more information during that time. Well, well overdue information of course.

"We pleased to announce that SGRA's are coming in the near future, but we have no determined date yet! Thank you for your continued patience. On a lighter note, here's a new event we scripted and shot in a lunch hour, yay!"

Even if I had the faith to see their '6 week' thing as something resembling a tangible time-line, three weeks sees the LotRo expansion and I'm lacking the enthusiasm to stay here until my sub's run out to get my money's worth. At least Turbine can actually bring themselves to speak to their customers, and mean what they say.

Yes, they say that the communication has been increased between the Community Team/Developers and the players, but I can't say I've seen it. I'm just wondering how long I can be bothered to stick with the "wait and see" approach, it's becoming very hard to believe in a company that doesn't seem to believe in itself.

Sitting here fantasizing about SGRA and playing around with photoshop... please tell me if this is off topic or totally out of line. This might contain small inquisitor spoilers

If you've played inquisitor you might remember Andronikos getting angry when you jokingly ask for a massage... this is how I hope it would happen :Dhttp://sweet.pp.fi/andronikos_sgra1.jpg

EDIT: I had to make another one ;o

Edited by Ixum

Sitting here fantasizing about SGRA and playing around with photoshop...

LOL @ "No, you kiss me."

Thanks for the smile. Ixum. :)

And just so that we're ready if we do get company, here's the list of Things We Want To Know But Don't:

• Are we still on track to see same-gender romantic content in game this year?
  • Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance? If so, which?
  • If current companions are made avaialble, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?

Edited by Uluain

Sitting here fantasizing about SGRA and playing around with photoshop... please tell me if this is off topic or totally out of line. This might contain small inquisitor spoilers

If you've played inquisitor you might remember Andronikos getting angry when you jokingly ask for a massage... this is how I hope it would happen :Dhttp://sweet.pp.fi/andronikos_sgra1.jpg

EDIT: I had to make another one ;o

Win. Both of them :D

LOL @ "No, you kiss me."

Thanks for the smile. Ixum. :)

And just so that we're ready if we do get company, here's the list of Things We Want To Know But Don't:

• Are we still on track to see same-gender romantic content in game this year?
  • Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance? If so, which?
  • If current companions are made avaialble, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?

I can't find the interview with Daniel Erikson, but I'm pretty sure he said that there won't be any change to existing companions when same gender romantic content is added (it was during that interview when he said "this year" "before the end of the year", "this year" etc... in all of his answers), so that would be for future content only.

And since then he's left Bioware, so I'm even less sure when this feature will be released, if ever.

All in all, I would not hold my breath for same gender relationship.

Edited by Oggthebase

I can't find the interview with Daniel Erikson, but I'm pretty sure he said that there won't be any change to existing companions when same gender romantic content is added (it was during that interview when he said "this year" "before the end of the year", "this year" etc... in all of his answers), so that would be for future content only.

That's why I asked the current Lead Writer, Hall Hood, for an update.

And the comments from Daniel Erickson were at the developer panel on the last day of the Guild Summit last March. What he said was they are not re-using existing dialog for opposite-gender romances already in-game with a few pronoun switches. It's new dialog. His comments then addressed the companions we know, that not all will be SGR-unlocked, but only the ones that "make sense", and that they have known who those were from the beginning.

Latest word was stated in very uncertain terms by Gabe Amatangelo linking SGRs to Makeb – but as the PvP guy, he admitted he is as far from the Story end of the game as can be, and his information is of the watercooler variety. Nonetheless, it would seem that SGRs are at least in the chute for what they hope to bring out some time in the next while – but there is no telling just how long a while that will be,

This is from the gamefront.com article regarding Daniel Erickson:

"As of this writing, Erickson’s profile still includes the blurb about seeking new opportunities. Of course, just because it appears on an Internet social network doesn’t mean Erickson is actually leaving BioWare after his seven-year tenure there."

Until I find an article that says that Erickson has left Bioware for sure, I believe he's still with the company.

This is the full article from Gamefront.

Edited by natashina

So, curiouser and curioser...

It seems the video interview with Gabe Amatangelo where he mention SGRs in relation to Makeb has been pulled from YouTube, and I am not having any luck tracking it down elsewhere. Perhaps a case of failure to get approval for the news before he leaked it? Yes, I know – I am reading a lot into this. :rolleyes:

Started a thread on that interview particularly on General Discussion. Probably won't last, but at least it gets the issue out where people will see it.

(And I know, community team – I am being naughty, but I will gladly stop misbehaving if we could actually get some information here.)

I just tweeted this to Hall Hood:

@hallhood Please give any real update to SGR content other than soon! Posters feel BioWare doesn't care the slightest for the LGBT players.

I'm a housewife with nothing but free time on my hands Bioware....

and I'm going to keep tweeting until something gets done.

Edited by natashina

Then I guess I will be going, "Wakey wakey!" Just sent him another tweet. It isn't much, I know, but I did request this time that he at least read the SGR thread and post something in here so people know the devs are listening. For now, it seems like lip-service that the mods are forced to say that the devs are paying attention to this thread(and yes, I mentioned that in a second tweet as well.)

Again, Bioware, I have all night and I'm an insomniac to boot.....