[OFFICIAL] - No server forums will be implemented

LoL-K-Noob

It's just so worrying. I particularly (and rather desperately might I add) want SWTOR to be successful. However their is a barrage of things they are doing (This included!) which worries me.

Server forums are the heart of any community. Sure, you will have people that enjoy stroking their oversized ego as they indulge in a little troll activity but what about the rest of us? What about me when I want to see how the community is developing? Join a guild? Read how X is being sold for such a price or how Y finally managed to down a boss they've been battering down for three weeks? This is devastating for the local community and it will touch each and every single one of us at one point.

Even if you don't use these boards, what about those that do and those that use them correctly? Punishing the majority due to a handful of silly people is... silly. For lack of a better word. This is silly.

I play on a RP server and I shan't lie. I do not RP. But I enjoy the community so much more. I enjoy reading stories and seeing how the community bands together and their is no other place better than a little server forum for my local community. Huff.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very bad idea.

Basically, they are being cheap about this. They don't want to pay more mods, yet they want to be a AAA MMO?

Yeah, very bad idea.

Stop being so cheap BW, you want to play in the big MMO world, then you're going to have to spend a little more cash. Sorry.

Edited by BradFett

Looks like they're cutting corners, to save as much money as possible already

This doesn't bode well for the future

No actually they want their moderators to be able to keep the forums a place for constructive discussion. This way they will be able to get rid of those people who do nothing but mindlessly bash the game all the time. :)

Yet another move that shows that BioWare does not know how the MMO industry works.

Without Server forums there will be no way of organizing community events on a server, or to advertise your guild, BioWare are in fact supporting guild spam in the trade channel by doing this.

seems like a fine decision to me. I can understand some wanting their own server forums but to be honest I do not see the necessity for them

What is the main thing that separates an MMORPG over other Genres?

Would you agree that it is community/multiplayer? I hope so.

That being that case, how you NOT see that as a necessity? Server forums allow word to spread of a particular crafter with rare schematics, a particularly unique BH that is terrorizing people, a guild that is ahead of the game, an upcoming guild looking to recruit that has more than just a spam text to explain what they are all about.

That's just a TINY bit. Go explore other MMO's server forums - they are vital.

This will cost them subscriptions in the long run and could potentially threaten the RP community. Terrible terrible terrible decision, it's the most basic of mmo survival features to try and build community together. That entire article was the biggest load of PR BS i've ever read.. pull your fingers out bioware, take a look at how people's "unofficial server forums" are going.. it's a F-A-I-L.

I've lost faith in BW's ability to handle an MMO anyway. Fantastic single player game with semi decent warzones and the flashpoints aren't bad but so many little decisions like this is having a huge effect on the bigger picture for me.

Everything is going to cost them subscriptions to you people. I think I'll cancel mine because there is no grass on Korriban. I'VE BEEN BETRAYED!!!!!

Let's not go overboard here proclaiming that Bioware doesn't care about it's customers just because they dont agree with us on something like this.

Obviously they simply do not understand why we need it and we should do our best to show them how necessary server sub-forums are in a calm and intelligent manner.

Keep in mind they are listening, just yesterday they rolled out a patch that skips the server queue for players that have been disconnected as long as they try to log right back in, that very idea came from these forums so they are listening and reacting quickly to community generated complaints and solutions.

This decision doesn't make much sense. Not even the Wookie defense could be used to argue for it.

They would have to add in game ways for guild recruitment, a cross realm LFG, in game bulletin board etc. General chat is already limited to which planet you are on so I don't see how this will grow the community feel on each server.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone, just for clarification: we are definitely open to making changes to the Forums that we currently have depending on community needs. The interview with TOR-Talk linked in this article mentions:

"There is room for this to change in the future depending on demands and our capability to provide good moderation coverage. We need to balance the amount of demand from the community against our ability to provide the level of service we’re committed to maintaining, and as the craziness of launch starts to subside, we may look at some different options or implementations if it becomes clear there’s a need to in order to serve the community."

The current forum listing is by no means set in stone forever, and we're always open to feedback and suggestions. If it becomes clear that something is needed by the community, we'll absolutely work on ways to implement a solution that meets those needs. We encourage you to (constructively!) express what you want from the Forums in the Community section, where a thread about Server Forums already exists.

Also, the search feature is currently disabled, but we do plan on restoring it as soon as possible and know that it is definitely an inconvenience when trying to use the forums. We apologize for that inconvenience and thank you for your patience in the meantime.

That sucks. Had quite a few events planned for our server and now it's going to be a lot harder to get everyone together without it.

They need to do something, I feel like this is killing the sense of community on every server.

Somewhat of an exaggeration, i doubt the majority of any servers population would ever use the forums if they did exist.

And having frequented the wretched hive of scum and villainy that are the WoW forums, their point about un-moderated forums becoming unpleasant is an understatement to say the least. Every weekend that cesspit is left unmoderated, and some of the things posted on there are downright horrific.

At the moment, the actual servers themselves are in fluctuation. We don't know if ever server up now will remain up. As the games population settles, we could see mergers or new servers being created. Its too soon to tell really.

But having said that that i don't think its the right decision. Server forums would certainly make coordinating and establishing a community a lot easier to do, and if it were up to me i would have made them and had strict moderation of all of them, whether that be through employing staff or giving the responsibility to volunteers.

As it stands what each server needs is someone to step up and establish an independent, player run forum. Not exactly the easier of tasks and no where near as easy to notify the playerbase of its existence as an official forum would be.

I cant get over this, how hard is it to make server forums? They should be priority #1. Seriously you cannot be serious, WoW in 2004 had server forums on release day!

If you want to compete with other giant MMOs you have to go above and beyond while still offering the same features! Server forums are a must have.

Edited by thestackshow

Epic Fail

Bioware takes one step forward and two steps back. Server forums are the crown jewel of community.

No server forums will kill this game and its community.

Its 2011, almost 2012.

Get server forums or be faced with the wrath of a million angry subscribers.

Hardly. Over exaggerating the effects of no server forums isn't conductive to making our case to Bioware that they should be implemented. It just makes you look like you are having a tantrum.

And it doesnt exactly give the impression that such forums would have a mature userbase capable of following server rules without heavy moderation.

Edited by Hellbrass

massively bad decision. server forums will help foster the community on each server, give a place for guilds to make their recruitment posts, etc. how am I gonna find a guild without a server forum? I don't want to use some crappy invision free one that someone sets up.

I agree with Bio. You I never use the forums, idk, so much trolling and idiots there. I see the upside of not putting them up yet. And im sure BIO would prolly fix things make this game better then add forums later. Why spend millions and millions of dollars first if your not sure if this games gonna be a big massive hit?? You cant just go out and hire tons and tons of people, then lay them all off if this game sucks. So far this is a amazing game, but we all know it depends on how good end game is gonna be. Its like 2 mmos in 1, leveling and end game. So far this is a amazing game, but it all depends on how good end game is gonna be.

So far Bio is reacting fast to fix issues. When it comes to that A+ BIO.

I completely agree with this decision from Bioware. Having server forums would increase the social aspect of each server and create a community... We certainly dont need that in an MMO... "social" and "community" dont need to exist in an MMO... Right Bioware?

/endsarcasm

Tyr