Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

CourtneyWoods

Did no one see this coming? Many other games have done this in the past; most famously WoW which has made the earlier expansions free.

The game is at the point where you NEED the expansion to enjoy the game and its mostly defunct content now. Most people only go to Makeb because they have to; dailies for money, still need 72's from TC etc.... S&V HM is about to be released and most of the other 55 stuff introduced is redundant or rehashed level 50 stuff like *yawn* TFB: \

In addition, in fact imho even though it could well be seen a cheeky to do it only 6months and not 12months or w/e; this is a good thing for those of us at endgame as it increases the pool of players. More 55's means more people to lolGroupFinder with or a bigger pool of players to recruit from. Any MMO is only as strong as the community that plays it and this only increase and enhances it.

Chances are if you did not have the expansion back then and where playing at endgame you would be bored stiff, barely anyone who is unhappy at this would not have got the expansion even if you knew it was going to be free. You would have paid or left rather than sit around bored for 6months wasting sub money not being to enjoy anything in game with it all being moved to 55.

Had I known I was paying for early access I would have made an informed decission, but it wasn't marketed that way. As far as I knew it was the only way to access the new content..

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time, it was the only way to access the content. However, as time went on, they made the decision to make it available to everyone. Makes sense to me.

I've been a subscriber since the beginning. I preordered Hutt Cartel the moment it became available, and I'll do so again with any new expansions. For the last 6 months, I had a TON of fun with the expansion, and it was totally worth the $10 I put into it. I don't need cartel coins -- I see why people who ordered it recently should get some, and I don't need it. (Not that I'd turn it down if it showed up, but I hardly feel obligated to it.)

I think this is great. It's going to get more people enjoying the game and playing, and that's good for the survival of this game I so enjoy playing.

Edited by CrispenGray

It is enough that it is going free in less than a year, but it is total BS to only give Cartel coins to people that have bought it in the last month. It is already a slap in the face I pay you month just so I will not have all of my gear disable and for that support everything new is released only on the market so I have to pay even more, but now I'm being charged for early access and not even being told that.

I don't care about the sides on this subject, I payed to own ROTHC...not have it given to others free after the fact. I payed for makeb and level 55, as did others. You want to be on our planet the pay for it as we did. Ever sense this game went F2P those loyal subscribers have been getting shafted left and right, weres the loyalty we get for sticking by the game?

yOU WANT TO KEEP THIS GAME UP, THEN LIVE UP TO THE HYPE YOU WERE SPITTING OUT BEFOR THE LAUNCH.

At the time, it was the only way to access the content. However, as time went on, they made the decision to make it available to everyone. Makes sense to me.

I've been a subscriber since the beginning. I preordered Hutt Cartel the moment it became available, and I'll do so again with any new expansions. For the last 6 months, I had a TON of fun with the expansion, and it was totally worth the $10 I put into it. I don't need cartel coins -- I see why people who ordered it recently should get some, and I don't need it. (Not that I'd turn it down if it showed up, but I hardly feel obligated to it.)

I think this is great. It's going to get more people enjoying the game and playing, and that's good for the survival of this game I so enjoy playing.

Yes getting the new subscribers free access to the end game will be good, making it seem like been a long term subscriber is a dumb move? Not so much...

Remember that tv commercial about insurance companies, in which they use kids to illustrate how even they know it's wrong to give new costumers free stuff older costumer don't get?

Well that's what I get from this move, "Don,t buy our stuff, ever, it'll be free eventually Hell newer players get their money back you who helped make the investement money back on launch though? You're just a sucker".

ah! :3

well my siggy still stands!

i'll also accept you just giving me all your lvl 55 characters and all the gear and loot they accumulated....

and also that personal trainer hutt thing, that thing is cool! :3

I don't get the characters and gear bit, are you assuming having Makeb gives you free stuff and level ups or something? My characters earned their gear in FPs and finished lvling in WZs...

Really? we are complaining about a $10 expansion pack that everyone who purchased at early access had access to for 6 months?

First off you are not "entitled" to anything, the agreement you accepted when you accepted the TOS etc is for Bioware to provide a product and give you access to it for the fee agreed on. Legally they don't even HAVE to offer you a refund, because the agreements do not include a "refund for whatever I feel i'm entitled to" clause. Bioware offered a product for a price, you purchased that product, they delivered it.

I suppose I should drive down to the dealership where I purchased my car and demand a refund since the model year has now depreciated in value and is being sold for less than I Bought it for.

Bottom Line, Rise was priced at $10 when you purchased it, its now depreciated in value and is now $0 dollars to people who pay monthly for the game.

Let me give you a little perspective for those of you who are complaining and are unfamiliar with what a real "rip off" scam is.

That OTHER Star Wars MMO, you remember it? Star Wars Galaxies? well any of you who played it remember Trials of Obi-Won.

a $20 expansion pack released on Nov 1, 2005, one that was advertised with content for all the wonderful classes SWG launched with, classes that on the SAME DAY as the xpac launch were REMOVED from the game by the infamous NGE after they had happily taken our money and promised us content for those classes, KNOWING all along they were going to remove them. a radical game overhaul like NGE doesn't happen in a week.

That is a willfully perpetrated scam if I've ever seen one.

Giving what amounts to a six month early access to an xpac for a piddly $10 bucks is NOT a willfully perpetrated scam, its called, well Early Access. It may not have been intended to be early access, but that's what it is.

But the bottom line is, they owe you absolutely nothing. You are "entitled" to exactly what the contract you signed with Bioware outlines, you pay, they give you a product. Loyalty rewards are a wonderful idea, but they are hardly required by law, No company has to offer you any kind of "loyalty" rewards. I dont get a discount on my gas just because I fill at the same station every time.

I would even possibly go so far as to say they DO owe people who bought the game within the last 30 days a refund because the decision was probably made within those 30 days and not announced till 3 days before it happens. But hat is of course my opinion, and im sure many will disagree.

What isn't is that purchases of Rise were a Business Transaction, that is all this is, not "arent we special, we stuck with you, now reward us". Your reward is that you get to keep playing the game your paying for and enjoying and they get to keep producing more content for it. Content they are now NOT charging subscribers for.

Yeah well I paid for the expansion and it is now ambiguous as to whether or not they are going to honor the original deal - buy RotH and play it whether I am sub or preferred, or now that they have changed the deal, do I have to sub to keep accessing the content I paid money for? If it is the latter, then your are damn right I am owed something - they changed the terms of the agreement after a purchase was made with no compensation.

Still waiting on a yellow response to that question...

Yeah well I paid for the expansion and it is now ambiguous as to whether or not they are going to honor the original deal - buy RotH and play it whether I am sub or preferred, or now that they have changed the deal, do I have to sub to keep accessing the content I paid money for? If it is the latter, then your are damn right I am owed something - they changed the terms of the agreement after a purchase was made with no compensation.

Still waiting on a yellow response to that question...

I think that is pretty obvious is the original post. If you paid for it, you still have access to it forever. If you have not yet purchased it, but are a subscriber, you will get access to it tomorrow for free. Nowhere does it say anything about revoking access for people who have already paid for it, and I'm not sure how it could be read as ambiguous on that point.

why should people who pre-ordered it and got to play it for 5 months, be reward over and above the ability to play it for 5 months and all the swag, loot, gear, extra content etc etc they've accumulated for 5 months and got their $10 worth of entertainment (that's $2 a month, seriously, where else can you get 5 months worth of entertainment for that cheap?)

compared to the people who bought it, but haven't gotten to enjoy it yet, only to find out it's now free?

it's a huge slap in the face that i payed $10 for it last week and now everybody is getting it for free. waste of $10 if you ask me, i could have easily used that $10 to buy 1050 CC coins instead! Dx.....

oh wait....:rolleyes:

slighted how? how are you any less slighted then the people who just paid $10 and didn't get even the slightest inkling of their money's worth out of it yet?

Maybe it took you 5 months to get though the content on Mekeb, but it only took me a few hours. So what else did I get for my money. I don't do PvE flashpoints or operations, and the Seeker droid and Binocular missions literally put me to sleep when I tried them, so they don't count as a plus in my book. I know, I got lol bolster, naked PvP, holonium and perfect carbonic crystals. In addition I got my favorite character, a vanguard, nerfed to the point that it was not longer worth playing. And I got all of that for the bargain basement price of just $2/month. Lucky me.

Now you ask why someone who put up with all this and more wants to be shown the same level of appreciation as people who only purchased the expansion in the last month. I know, it must be my overdeveloped sense of entitlement. Yeah, that's the ticket.

ah! :3

well my siggy still stands!

i'll also accept you just giving me all your lvl 55 characters and all the gear and loot they accumulated....

and also that personal trainer hutt thing, that thing is cool! :3

You seemed to have dropped your brain outside of the building.

Alright, I've been fairly critical of BW/EA, and this post will be no different, but their position on this is not indefensible (albeit poorly handled as is consistent with their dealings with the player base).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here's the problem. They say that Subscribers that have RotHC already will get a title "as our [bW/EA] appreciation for the purchase" and that's cool. They didn't have to do anything but it's a nice gesture. But then they go on to say that those that bought it within the last month "will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel" which is not what they mean. When I read that I knew immediately that there was going to be an outcry of how unfair the Veteran and "most loyal" players are being treated. That the appreciation was not equal and that the "late comers" were more valued. Hence my original post to this thread.

LOL

Bioware, you so crazy.

The truth, as has been pointed out by others, is that they are going to be giving away a product tomorrow for free that they have sold to people as recently as yesterday (possibly today) and they HAVE to reimburse them. It's not appreciation at all, it's a necessity. They called it "appreciation" to seem magnanimous and generous but the truth is they had no choice it was either the cartel coins or refund the money itself (and giving back the money would show up on the books and is a bad precedent as well).

So that group was going to get their CC no matter what and the rest were going to get a title and nothing more. The problem was, yet again, how they communicated the message. So if that was the problem what was the solution? For starters, they need to work on their timing. Consider the cause and effect of telling us when they did.

• They waited until 2 days before it goes into effect to tell the community
  • Waiting until then to announce this put them in the position of having to reimburse those that bought RotHC recently since they didn't know it was going to be free so soon.
  • That reimbursement was framed as appreciation.
  • That appreciation seemed inequitable to some who were getting a seemingly lesser form of appreciation.
  • Vocal forum users express their frustrations, others defend the move, and cycle of negative posts both for and against the decision and the general treatment of the player base

100% predictable outcome. Given everything that BW/EA has dealt with from our community they had to see this was what would happen. Maybe they did and decided to weather it, I don't know, but what I do know is it didn't have to be that way. Here's how I believe they should have handled it. First, you make your announcement on July 12th so that there is a 2 month lead time before the change takes effect. Then you make the following announcement.

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program! Rise of the Hutt Cartel offers the breathtaking planet of Makeb, five new levels of story-driven missions increasing the level cap to 55, and exciting technology devices which unlock valuable rewards.

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber as of August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, RotHC will no longer be available for direct purchase to those with an active subscription after August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT. Instead Subscribers who have not purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel by then will automatically unlock RotHC when they purchase 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins or more from the in-game store. F2P players can continue to purchase the subscription as they always have if they so choose.

What this does is gives people clearly described options and time to make their decision. You have RotHC already, you get a title. You don't have it? Well you can wait for it to go free, OR you can buy it prior to August 12th and get the title, OR you can wait until August 12th and buy some cartel coins and get it for free in advance of it being free for everyone (essentially getting a month early access on it being free). Which is basically the same thing what we have now but it's not a reimbursement or appreciation. No hurt feelings, no outrage.

Obviously this doesn't help them now but I hope they consider this when making future decisions. They need to choose their words more carefully and make announcements well in advance of the changes.

Alright, I've been fairly critical of BW/EA, and this post will be no different, but their position on this is not indefensible (albeit poorly handled as is consistent with their dealings with the player base).

Here's the problem. They say that Subscribers that have RotHC already will get a title "as our [bW/EA] appreciation for the purchase" and that's cool. They didn't have to do anything but it's a nice gesture. But then they go on to say that those that bought it within the last month "will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel" which is not what they mean. When I read that I knew immediately that there was going to be an outcry of how unfair the Veteran and "most loyal" players are being treated. That the appreciation was not equal and that the "late comers" were more valued. Hence my original post to this thread.

The truth, as has been pointed out by others, is that they are going to be giving away a product tomorrow for free that they have sold to people as recently as yesterday (possibly today) and they HAVE to reimburse them. It's not appreciation at all, it's a necessity. They called it "appreciation" to seem magnanimous and generous but the truth is they had no choice it was either the cartel coins or refund the money itself (and giving back the money would show up on the books and is a bad precedent as well).

So that group was going to get their CC no matter what and the rest were going to get a title and nothing more. The problem was, yet again, how they communicated the message. So if that was the problem what was the solution? For starters, they need to work on their timing. Consider the cause and effect of telling us when they did.

• Waiting until then to announce this put them in the position of having to reimburse those that bought RotHC recently since they didn't know it was going to be free so soon.
  • That appreciation seemed inequitable to some who were getting a seemingly lesser form of appreciation.
  • Vocal forum users express their frustrations, others defend the move, and cycle of negative posts both for and against the decision and the general treatment of the player base

100% predictable outcome. Given everything that BW/EA has dealt with from our community they had to see this was what would happen. Maybe they did and decided to weather it, I don't know, but what I do know is it didn't have to be that way. Here's how I believe they should have handled it. First, you make your announcement on July 12th so that there is a 2 month lead time before the change takes effect. Then you make the following announcement.

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program! Rise of the Hutt Cartel offers the breathtaking planet of Makeb, five new levels of story-driven missions increasing the level cap to 55, and exciting technology devices which unlock valuable rewards.

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber as of August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, RotHC will no longer be available for direct purchase to those with an active subscription after August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT. Instead Subscribers who have not purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel by then will automatically unlock RotHC when they purchase 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins or more from the in-game store. F2P players can continue to purchase the subscription as they always have if they so choose.

What this does is gives people clearly described options and time to make their decision. You have RotHC already, you get a title. You don't have it? Well you can wait for it to go free, OR you can buy it prior to August 12th and get the title, OR you can wait until August 12th and buy some cartel coins and get it for free in advance of it being free for everyone (essentially getting a month early access on it being free). Which is basically the same thing what we have now but it's not a reimbursement or appreciation. No hurt feelings, no outrage.

Obviously this doesn't help them now but I hope they consider this when making future decisions. They need to choose their words more carefully and make announcements well in advance of the changes.

Okay Bioware this is what you do, fire the hack that is currently in charge of marketing and hire *this* guys, he knows how to speak with human beings.

Bottom line:

FinalFantasyXIV: A Realm Reborn is out and its a freaking awesome game. By realease it already has more game features and options than TOR will have in 2 more years.

25Euros to buy the game with 30 days of game time, and as soon as u pay the next month u start getting veteran rewards right away. I'm playing the game for 2 weeks and already got a moogle cap, a hawt bikini to dance at the beach (oh ye this game has a lot of interactable water unlike swtor), 2 pets, and 1 token to change my toon's appeareance/sex/race!!! And when i buy my next month ill get a mount. I'm playing TOR since day 1 (or should i say 7 days before day 1) and i dont feel as rewarded for it.

Also my main is a sage healer and i mainly do pvp, which means after next patch either i RE-MAIN myself or im gonna be useless. Isn't that an awesome reward for my loyalty?? This game is about to hit the bottom really fast and i aint gonna be around to hit the bottom too while paying for it to happen.

A game who could reach for the stars, and didnt even land on the moon... Disappointed Bioware... Very disappointed... Good luck to you all who remain here. You're gonna need it!

PS: And heal to full and make them pay will not be enough. They just keep ***** slapping their community!

Jerod - Sage Seer

Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Edited by DanAxe

Really guys.. A flipping title?

You know I pre-ordered that expansion... Why is it that late risers are getting their money refunded in CC but all I get a title that doesn't do anything??

I'm all for refunding the money with CC, but make it across the board not only for people who just now bought the expansion...

Thank you for punishing us loyal fans for supporting you this whole time.....

:mad:

Bottom line:

FinalFantasyXIV: A Realm Reborn is out and its a freaking awesome game. By realease it already has more game features and options than TOR will have in 2 more years.

25Euros to buy the game with 30 days of game time, and as soon as u pay the next month u start getting veteran rewards right away. I'm playing the game for 2 weeks and already got a moogle cap, a hawt bikini to dance at the beach (oh ye this game has a lot of interactable water unlike swtor), 2 pets, and 1 token to change my toon's appeareance/sex/race!!! And when i buy my next month ill get a mount. I'm playing TOR since day 1 (or should i say 7 days before day 1) and i dont feel as rewarded for it.

Also my main is a sage healer and i mainly do pvp, which means after next patch either i RE-MAIN myself or im gonna be useless. Isn't that an awesome reward for my loyalty?? This game is about to hit the bottom really fast and i aint gonna be around to hit the bottom too while paying for it to happen.

A game who could reach for the stars, and didnt even land on the moon... Disappointed Bioware... Very disappointed... Good luck to you all who remain here. You're gonna need it!

PS: And heal to full and make them pay will not be enough. They just keep ***** slapping their community!

Jerod - Sage Seer

Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Thank you, I think I will check it out.

Edit: Nope, I don't think that this one is for me, but thanks anyway.

Edited by Exly

Here why don't I give you a much more realistic example for you to work with. you bought an ipone when it came out. you paid unrealistic amounts of cash for it. you loved it and flaunted it in your friends' face because they didnt have it. 6 months later you heard a rumor about a super secret space project....errr i mean a new version of the iphone...before you know it the price on that iphone you paid butloads for is going out for free to people buying new plans. THE OUTRAGE. HOW DARE THEY. Good thing stuff like this doesnt actually happen.

I havent heard apple is giving the earlier version of the iphone away for free with a no contract plan. When they start giving away the expansions with a 1 year locked in subscription,then and only then will this be a viable argument. The reality is this: Makeb was originally supposed to come out at launch or shortly thereafter in an update. It was supposed also be gratis. Then the bottom fell out and the server condensing started so they had to charge for it. Now that the cartel market is basically keeping the game afloat,they are giving it away to subscribers and cartel coins to those who subscribe and buy it before the date. There is an old saying in business: "Don't trample your old friends in your rush to make new ones".

EA isn't the worst rated company 2 years in a row according to the consumerist for nothing...they have a prestigious honor they need to keep intact! =o

also it's fun drawing all the trolls and butt hurts out of the wood work once in a while to air them out :) the community would be alot more dull without them.

Did no one see this coming? Many other games have done this in the past; most famously WoW which has made the earlier expansions free.

The game is at the point where you NEED the expansion to enjoy the game and its mostly defunct content now. Most people only go to Makeb because they have to; dailies for money, still need 72's from TC etc.... S&V HM is about to be released and most of the other 55 stuff introduced is redundant or rehashed level 50 stuff like *yawn* TFB: \

In addition, in fact imho even though it could well be seen a cheeky to do it only 6months and not 12months or w/e; this is a good thing for those of us at endgame as it increases the pool of players. More 55's means more people to lolGroupFinder with or a bigger pool of players to recruit from. Any MMO is only as strong as the community that plays it and this only increase and enhances it.

Chances are if you did not have the expansion back then and where playing at endgame you would be bored stiff, barely anyone who is unhappy at this would not have got the expansion even if you knew it was going to be free. You would have paid or left rather than sit around bored for 6months wasting sub money not being to enjoy anything in game with it all being moved to 55.

Burning Crusade came out in 2007 and was given for free in 2011. Wrath of the Lich King came out in 2008 and was given for free in 2012. Neither of these expansions at any point were stated by the developers that they were going to be put out there for free. Initially the planet Makeb was. Not to mention there is a world of difference between 3 years and 6 months. Using WOW as an example doesnt really work here since they were 2 expansions ahead by the time either of those were released for free or they were released within a couple of weeks of those free releases. I somehow doubt that SWTOR is releasing a new expansion with increased level cap,gear and planets within the next month,much less two of them.

Edited by Ravenschild
spelling/grammar

Woah! Why aren't subscribers that bought the expansion getting any cartel coins? We get a title??? I don't use anything other than the rank titles granted through the class quest line... This is a step away from what should be happening.

cartel coins are an extremely baddly worded refund for recent PAID purchase of a NOW free product.

cartel coins are an extremely baddly worded refund for recent PAID purchase of a NOW free product.

Yeah I get that now, but now all we can do is kick ourselves for not waiting for it to go free... I mean it was $9.99 sure, everyone likes to focus on what a small amount of money that is. BUT ask me if I would rather pay something, or nothing, FREE wins every time! So give the CC to everyone! or no one! I don't want another title that will go unused, maybe Bioware owes us nothing (something I'm not 100% sure about) but they have to realize how many people they just pissed off by announcing RotHC going free this way!.....

Your characterizing cartel coins as a refund is absolutely, 100% wrong.

A refund is cash back. They could spend it on a toaster or gas or a beer. Or even hold onto it and use it to buy the next expansion pack. That's a refund.

What they're actually being offered is an in-store credit that's not even going to be good to use to purchase the next expansion pack. If they are disinterested in the cartel market, the 1,050 CC's are beyond worthless to them.

That is, of course, unless they exercise their consumer rights (protected under the laws in the various regions SWTOR does business) and demand an actual refund.