How to properly prep for Double XP weekends.

Dawginole

I've had some new players or players who are just getting into making alts in my guild ask about how I level so fast during Double XP weekends. So I just wanted to share some tactics here that may help some folks for the next one that will begin on April 11th.

There are variations of this strategy to line yourself up for certain mods, you can investigate this on your own or others can chime in suggestions. This is just the basic premise and is mainly for a fresh alt, but can be applied to higher level toons.

NOTE: Having Cybertech, Artifice or Armstech leveled to at least 300 will be a huge help, but won't break you if you don't.

NOTE 2: This method is primarily for running solo. The method of having a 55 run you through content doesn't really apply for this as you probably won't need the prep or gear recommended here.

1) Start a new toon and purchase a 5 pack of XP bonus items, the legacy mission XP bonus, and legacy exploration bonus.

2) Run through your starter world as fast as possible using the dropped greens to gear your toon. This should take about 2hrs and you should arrive on fleet at roughly lvl 11.5. Run the wz dailies at this point to get your toon to lvl 12.

3) Purchase a full set of orange gear.

4) Select your Advanced Class.

5) Pick up some crafts you want to work on with your spare alt (two spare alts if you buy Treek). Be sure to talk to every crafting vendor, even the ones you don't want as you will get xp from talking to all of them.

Prep time:

1) Craft blue armorings, hilts/barrels, and crystals of every 10 levels as amorings and hilts/barrels cost the most planetary comms and you don't want to waist comms on these items. If you can't craft these runs dailies on a higher level toon to purchase or have someone craft these items for you.

2) Gear your toon in the armorings, hilt/barrel, and crystals that you crafted or purchased for level 12/13. And store the ones you crafted or purchased for levels 20, 30, and 40.

3) Purchase level 2/3 mods and enhancements with planetary comms to fill in the rest of your toons gear and weapons.

4) Now wait for DXP weekend.

Double XP Weekend:

1) Set out with your fully geared lvl 12/13 toon to Dromund Kas or Corruscant. Complete all missions, both planet and class story. You must do this on this planet in order to get your ship. You can't get your ship unless you complete the story quests here. Make sure to always have your XP buff item on and skip heroics.

2) By the time you are done here you should be able to skip straight to Nar Shaddaa and should be around lvl 20. Complete all planet quests and all available quest on Nar Shaddaa. Skip story missions.

3) Go to Tatooine. Do all planetary quests and side quests. Skip story mission quests. You should be roughly level 30 when complete here.

4) Skip Alderaan and go to Taris. Do all planetary quests and side quests. Skip story mission quests. You should be roughly level 30 when complete here.

5) Skip Quesh and go to Hoth. You should be roughly level 38 at this point. Power through until the end of the weekend.

Leveling rewards and gearing:

1) When questing do not take any rewards other than planetary comms. You are in blue mods and will not need the dropped greens. You need to only take the planetary comms so you can use them to purchase new mods/enhancements every 10 levels.

2) At every 10 levels, so level 20, 30, and 40 return to the fleet and get your already crafted or purchased armorings, hilts/barrels, crystals out of storage. And go to the outer ring of the supply area and purchase the appropriate level mods and enhancements (2 comms per item) from the vendor. Usually the appropriate vendor is the one that is one planet ahead of the planet you are about to go to.

3) If you are so inclined, you should also have enough comms to purchase mods/enhancements for your companion making leveling all the quicker. Only do this if you can craft or afford to also make your companion armorings, hilts/barrels, and crystals as well. Otherwise just put dropped greens on your companion.

4) Carry the Hut Statue with you that you got from Rise of the Hutt cartel and keep yourself constantly updated on your abilities as you hit your new levels. And obviously look for a decent spec chart for pve leveling spec to be putting your points in the right tree.

If this method is followed, a player should be able to reach level 40-42 by the end of the weekend with only about 3-4hrs played each day of DXP weekend. From level 40 during a normal xp period with rested xp and buff, one should be able to go from 40-45 on Hoth, then 45-50 on Corruscant, and 50-52/53, 53-55 on Makeb in about 4 play periods of 3-4hrs each.

The prep will take some time, so don't try to do it the day DXP starts and this will really only work with players who already have a 55 that can bank roll or craft for the new toon. Your objective should be to go 10-40 over the weekend as after that 40-55 will only take a few days and minimal effort. But this method will allow you to have little down time, and be over leveled and over powered to storm through all the content you confront during the DXP weekend to maximize your time and potential to hit 40.

Good luck!

Edited by Dawginole

5) Pick up some crafts you want to work on with your spare alt (two spare alts if you buy Treek). Be sure to talk to every crafting vendor, even the ones you don't want as you will get xp from talking to all of them.

Nice guide! Assuming you meant to say spare companion for crafting, rather than alt? Also, might it make sense to wait for DXP weekend starts to talk to all the crafting vendors? Probably not a huge difference, but would add just a bit more XP.

The only prep I need is the unsub button. Getting real tired of being forced into either double xp or not playing. I choose neither, but my sub stops until there is an opt out option.

Geeze, thats a little extreme isn't it? It'd be nice for them to put an option to opt out, but unsub because of it? :rolleyes:

I mean... out of 365 days (1 year) they have a total of what, 3-12 days of Double XP?! I just don't understand some people's silly logic. :rolleyes:

If anything, 2xp is AWESOME, because it speeds up the monotonous grind to 55 (this applies especially for people who've played all/most of the class stories, and have a large amount of characters).

Edited by Essence_of_Light

I am confused why you recommend to take the legacy mission xp bonus (which I assume is the Class Mission XP Bonus Character Perk) and then you recommend skipping all the class missions?

I have gotten a new level 55 on every dbl xp weekend going from 0 - 55. My method is similar but I do the following:

I purchase the Class Mission Character Perk and the Exploration Character perk all the way to the top level.

I use the same gearing strategy as the OP except I use alts to buy mods with their planetary comms and mail them over to the new toon. I use the new toons planetary coms to keep my companion geared.

I do mostly class missions on the home planet making sure I am at least level 10 when I leave.

Then I do all missions the coruscant / dk except heroics (do the heroic to get the modable offhand on DK if you need it)

Only Class Missions on Balmorra/Tarris

Class Missions and Planetary on Nar Shadda

Class Missions and Planetary on Tatooine

Only Class missions on Alderaan

Only Class Missions on Balmorra/Tarris

Class Missions and Planetary on Quesh

Only Class Missions on Hoth

Class Missions and some Planetary on Belsavis

Class Missions and some Planetary on Voss

Only Class Missions on Corellia

Belsavis Bonus

Ilum only if needed to get to 50

Black Hole

Section X

Do one flashpoint Group finder per day for the comms and the daily missions

Geeze, thats a little extreme isn't it? It'd be nice for them to put an option to opt out, but unsub because of it? :rolleyes:

I mean... out of 365 days (1 year) they have a total of what, 3-12 days of Double XP?! I just don't understand some people's silly logic. :rolleyes:

If anything, 2xp is AWESOME, because it speeds up the monotonous grind to 55 (this applies especially for people who've played all/most of the class stories, and have a large amount of characters).

You may think it's awesome, but some of us don't. We've been asking for an opt out for quite a while, and BW hasn't even deigned to answer. I even sent a PM to Eric, which has gone unanswered. I've sent anther today, so we will see if there is any response this time.

In the interim, maybe an unsub will make BW realise that not everyone is enthused over double xp.

Cheers

Bruce

You may think it's awesome, but some of us don't. We've been asking for an opt out for quite a while, and BW hasn't even deigned to answer. I even sent a PM to Eric, which has gone unanswered. I've sent anther today, so we will see if there is any response this time.

In the interim, maybe an unsub will make BW realise that not everyone is enthused over double xp.

Cheers

Bruce

Like I said before, there is only 3-12 days of 2xp out of the whole year. To unsub because of that is silly and really foolhardy.

And it doesn't matter if you've been asking for an op-out, it is only a few days out of the year. Take a break from the game or play one of your 55s. Deal with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Essence_of_Light

This is a good guide, I don't do things exactly this way but nice job. One note: unless they changed something very recently the planetary questlines of DK/Coru is not required to receive your ship. I skip everything but my class quests and leave the planets with my ship around level 12-15.

Assuming you have purchased the related legacy character perk unlocks these are you 3 best XP returns for time invested: Class stories, space PVE, and Kuat flashpoint. I also pick up the exploration perk, going a little out of your way to unlock map sectors is worthwhile.

I highly recommend Inheritance (level 14-16) and Birthright (level 29-33) gear. They are better than anything craftable and will easily last you 10 levels. Birthright head, chest, legs and boots can be bought for 50 Classic comms each on the Black Hole vendor. The rest can be received from critting on Treasure Hunting and Diplomacy lock box missions.* They are also bound to Legacy so you can run the missions on alts. Just use green drops until level 14.

*you want to run level-appropriate lockbox missions to get these, tier 2 (mission level 17-24) for Inheritance gear, tier 3 for Birthright. The Mainhand drops from tier 4 (it's level 33, the rest are 29-32). Only run rich or discovered (wealthy and prosperous) missions for the best results. Drops are possible at higher levels but those cost more time/credits.

The only prep I need is the unsub button. Getting real tired of being forced into either double xp or not playing. I choose neither, but my sub stops until there is an opt out option.

That sounds like a pretty lame reason to unsub. I don't like double XP either, as I prefer to enjoy the leveling experience with all of my many alts, but there's plenty of other stuff to do during the couple of days of double XP weekends: play max level characters and run dailies, FPs, etc., use max level characters to work on building up Reputation levels, get datacrons for various characters, work on crafting and RE'ing schematics, etc.

ok.

I have a better guide. Get to lvl 15 as per this guide, get your ship. Then. Do KDY with full legacy flashpoint exp buff and major xp buff on all the time. KDY nonstop to lvl 55 or whatever lvl you wanna get to. There is no faster way to gain xp/hr. You dont even have to worry about gear because its a bolstered tactical flashpoint. Also you will be Legend by the time one toon is 50. I like to also mix in some warzones and GSF matches and their dailies. Then when you hit max lvl you can run through the full story uninterupted. Up to nearly lvl 35 its almost a lvl per run.

Edited by Smuglebunny

I am...or rather I did. Unsub was so easy.

Cheers

Bruce

we get it, you want to opt out, but then the question is why did you feel the extraordinary need to opt into a thread that is just for preparation and advice for those who want to participate?

Edited by Sangrar

Agree with this.

This is how I leveled last Double XP and I highly recommend it.

You will get so sick of running KDY that you will only queue for it the next time it's Double XP weekend.

ok.

I have a better guide. Get to lvl 15 as per this guide, get your ship. Then. Do KDY with full legacy flashpoint exp buff and major xp buff on all the time. KDY nonstop to lvl 55 or whatever lvl you wanna get to. There is no faster way to gain xp/hr. You dont even have to worry about gear because its a bolstered tactical flashpoint. Also you will be Legend by the time one toon is 50. I like to also mix in some warzones and GSF matches and their dailies. Then when you hit max lvl you can run through the full story uninterupted. Up to nearly lvl 35 its almost a lvl per run.

Do KDY with full legacy flashpoint exp buff and major xp buff on all the time. KDY nonstop to lvl 55...
To each his own but this sounds horrible. Anyone who can stomach doing KDY for 40 runs will get to 55 a little quicker but I have got to have some variety.

Oh, I did confirm Slicing missions will return Birthright gear. I received gloves from the mission Mysterious Funds (abundant tier 6 tech parts).

• 1 month later...
Agree with this.

This is how I leveled last Double XP and I highly recommend it.

You will get so sick of running KDY that you will only queue for it the next time it's Double XP weekend.

Interested to hear how far folks got doing it this way the past few weeks. I wasn't around for this past weekends DXP. But during the previous one I was able to go 10-45 on a Merc using my method playing about 5hrs/day for three days. Playing around the same amount of time I made it 10-42 on a Sniper. I found it to be a little slower leveling as the Merc seems to have more AOE options earlier on.

personally I decided to skip spamming KDY. it gets real old real fast :/ did something similar to OP in terms of gear prep, but one thing I did differently is that instead of starting double xp at low level, I played my characters till about lvl 30, leaving later levels for double xp. (I did do flashpoint dailies though - great source of supplemental planetary coms and quest turn ins had great xp return, plus it gave me a bit of variety of questing/KDY/ flashpoint. pvp daily is also nice for that - I kept completed but not turned in one from day prior, and than would just do one per day - to finish off the weekly as well)

the reason for getting through earlier levels during normal time is - amount of experience needed to level grows exponentially. well.. so do quest turn ins, yes, but double xp weekend seems to have much bigger impact at later levels (and it allows me to skip Belsavis) to each their own, naturally.

Pro tip: Use legacy armor sets and commendations from your older toons to mod them for different levels. I have used the same collection of sets to level a sorc, a sage and a shadow.

Use planetary comms earned on the leveling toon to gear up your comp. Faceroll everything. :D

Edited by slafko

Pro tip: Use legacy armor sets and commendations from your older toons to mod them for different levels. I have used the same collection of sets to level a sorc, a sage and a shadow.

Use planetary comms earned on the leveling toon to gear up your comp. Faceroll everything. :D

I leveled 3 Mercs and a Van in March/April doing this. I made a suit for level 15, 21, 25, 31, 35, 41 and 45. Leveled the toons one suit at a time and mailed them down as I went.

I tend to not bother playing during the double xp weekends, bioware continuously ignores my suggestions for a perk or consumables to give the double xp, instead of forcing it on all players, regardless if they want it or not.