Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

I don't think this game is dying or will die anytime soon. I do think it's an unusually competitive year for MMOs with GW2 and TSW releasing in a few months, then Archeage if it makes it out by the end of the year. Three games that step away from the norm in many ways and two with voice acting, although from what I've seen of GW2's voice acting, it isn't up to SWTOR standards. But the game has other features that SWTOR lacks, so yeah, it will probably pull some people away.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the game is so perfect why aren't you playing? None of us wanted the game to fail, we're just saying that it turned out to be an overhyped WoW clone piece of crap.

First of all, i am still playing, happily i might add

Second of all, when did i say that the game was perfect, i would be the first to admit that that game has some problems, some more serious than others. However, i also think that they are manageable and will be fixed if i have the patience...which i do

Third of all, i meant why are you wasting your time and mine arguing about whether or not a game sucks...dont play it, move on...why would you still be on the SWTOR website is you no longer play the game...leave the forums to the individuals actually playing the game so we can provide the developers with good, honest criticism and realistic ways to improve the game

In other words...just leave, what else is keeping you here

The fps issue should have been fixed already the fact that it hasn't is a clear sign that they don't care. They try gimmicky ways to make it seem like they are working on it but they are failing. My main issue is the fact that I have a better then average computer I can play every other game on high setting and they all run smoothly, but this game I have to run everything on low if I wanna play in Ilum, Wz, or go into a cave.

Sorry but the fact that they used a bad engine shows that it was flawed from the start. I really don't see how this problem made it past the alpha stage of testing seriously. Also, the fact that it isn't fixed yet make me wonder if they ever are going to fix it.

The fps issue is really the only main complaint I have I would much rather play this MMO then WoW or any other one. I love the lore, I love playing with a lightsaber, what I don't like it the fact that I can go from 60 fps to 2 fps by just going into a cave, or because I'm fighting in a WZ.

Fix the FPS ISSUE and this game would be worth it

I said it before and i'll say it again: In the WoW style MMO there is NOTHING before end game. Leveling is a grind. Story? It's a joke. It's 30 minutes of grind for a 2 minute cutscene that just sends you out to grind more. We've been patient. People waited 6 years for this game. A certain level of quality is expected and BW didn't deliver. People were promised a "revolutionary MMO", they got WoW with glow sticks. With the AAA MMO competition this year the subs will only continue to drop.

That's where we differ. :)

I don't think it's a grind at all. Not at all like all the other recent MMOs. This one has story and I feel like I am playing a story, not grinding. It's all about perspective. I recognize yours. I use to be that way. You are entitled entirely to yours. Unfortunately, for the MMO genre, it's the prevalent one. It will also be the downfall of all new MMOs as well. There will never be another "big dog" MMO unless an entire new quest style is given that is highly customizable, and something in gameplay replaces the "I just want my purples" in the pvp. Something like DAOC did with RvR. That community turned the pvp into a competition instead of just gear drive. Unfortunately the magic users dominated everything and it was hugely imbalances. But was really good for a while. Just a HUGE grindfest in PVE.

Just look at all the recent MMOs and all the same complaints for them all. The gamers want immediate satisfaction, but really.......something entirely new to keep their interest.

That's where we differ. :)

I don't think it's a grind at all. Not at all like all the other recent MMOs. This one has story and I feel like I am playing a story, not grinding. It's all about perspective. I recognize yours. I use to be that way. You are entitled entirely to yours. Unfortunately, for the MMO genre, it's the prevalent one. It will also be the downfall of all new MMOs as well. There will never be another "big dog" MMO unless an entire new quest style is given that is highly customizable, and something in gameplay replaces the "I just want my purples" in the pvp. Something like DAOC did with RvR. That community turned the pvp into a competition instead of just gear drive. Unfortunately the magic users dominated everything and it was hugely imbalances. But was really good for a while. Just a HUGE grindfest in PVE.

Just look at all the recent MMOs and all the same complaints for them all. The gamers want immediate satisfaction, but really.......something entirely new to keep their interest.

All that stuff that you said an MMO should have can be found here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

The fps issue should have been fixed already the fact that it hasn't is a clear sign that they don't care. They try gimmicky ways to make it seem like they are working on it but they are failing. My main issue is the fact that I have a better then average computer I can play every other game on high setting and they all run smoothly, but this game I have to run everything on low if I wanna play in Ilum, Wz, or go into a cave.

Sorry but the fact that they used a bad engine shows that it was flawed from the start. I really don't see how this problem made it past the alpha stage of testing seriously. Also, the fact that it isn't fixed yet make me wonder if they ever are going to fix it.

The fps issue is really the only main complaint I have I would much rather play this MMO then WoW or any other one. I love the lore, I love playing with a lightsaber, what I don't like it the fact that I can go from 60 fps to 2 fps by just going into a cave, or because I'm fighting in a WZ.

Very good point

So let me try and understand what your saying. Your saying that for 6yr of develpoment that 3 ****y WZs illum which is a joke and 2 Raids are acceptable endgame content??

You sir must not have played many MMOs or atleaast not any good ones.

i am saying that, yes, this game has acceptable end game content...or at least as much as i expected it to have

you sir, have no idea what it take to make a game on this scale and i suggest you keep quite because of that

I heard they're fixing it in Ilum by not having some of the guns shoot...cause, you know, THAT'S the real problem

i am saying that, yes, this game has acceptable end game content...or at least as much as i expected it to have

you sir, have no idea what it take to make a game on this scale and i suggest you keep quite because of that

The end game isn't about quantity, it's about quality. The raids are a joke. You can do Nightmare 8 man in less than 2 hours (both KP and EV) without having anyone in your raid use anything in their chest slot. The PvP end game is 3 WZs and Ilum...yeah, definitely quality endgame...

Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=Z9OG8-R58Yw

hope it helps

All that stuff that you said an MMO should have can be found here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Pretty sure that this one right now is the definition of HYPE. I will try it, yes. However, I rather see SWTOR continue because I am loving it right now. I am tired of fantasy MMOs. I will believe the "new game style MMO" on this one when I experience it. I will tell you this RIGHT NOW though. I promise you these same complainers will show up complaining about running out of content way too early because their impatience will drive them to get to the end quickly.

It boggles my mind that people don't play for fun. My server and ques are good, almost an instant warzone pop and I never have to wait more than a few minutes. To the above guy with 4 level 50s. This game has been out for what, 2 and a half months and you've leveled 4 50's? And you wonder why you have issues.

I don't see the game dying. I am still having fun along with my friends and people on my server.

this.. and yet he will tell others they have the issues

these kids needs lives

the game is fine

Pretty sure that this one right now is the definition of HYPE. I will try it, yes. However, I rather see SWTOR continue because I am loving it right now. I am tired of fantasy MMOs. I will believe the "new game style MMO" on this one when I experience it. I will tell you this RIGHT NOW though. I promise you these same complainers will show up complaining about running out of content way too early because their impatience will drive them to get to the end quickly.

I'm pretty sure that yes it's hyped but it actually deserves it. Eh, do what you will, just saying that it's an MMO that's actually different from WoW, has the qualities you talked about and has got insanely good reviews so far

Already tried it awhile ago and it did help somewhat I did get up in fps a little but overall it didn't help. The fact that the community is the one coming up with the fixes and not BW is sad. BW should have been on top of this a like a ****** on a 2 dollar bill honestly.

I'll repeat it again:

FIX THE FPS ISSUE

AND THE GAME WOULD BE WORTH IT!

Edited by Conveit

I'm pretty sure that yes it's hyped but it actually deserves it. Eh, do what you will, just saying that it's an MMO that's actually different from WoW, has the qualities you talked about and has got insanely good reviews so far

We agree on something! I want something entirely fresh. Gamers do. The genre will die soon without it. I hope you are right btw. But I still promise you that there will still be huge complainers on these same points. It's just the state of the gamers. I hope they are a success.

We agree on something! I want something entirely fresh. Gamers do. The genre will die soon without it. I hope you are right btw. But I still promise you that there will still be huge complainers on these same points. It's just the state of the gamers. I hope they are a success.

Of course people will cry, but then they'll realize that 1. the game isn't about rushing to the end (although there will be a decent amount of end game) and 2. they can go back and get scaled down to do the fun stuff they missed in the crazy grind

Thank you captain obvious. We all know that basing a game's population on who uses xfire is an accurate data collection method......similar in nature to those who log on and collect data via /who in fleet. I'm sorry I didn't initially explain that line of thought for you.....

Actually, it is, not the /who in the fleet...but xfire.

To get a rough average you need a large sum of data. That data could range from 100 (very rough) to 1,000,000 (very accurate) as long as it isn't all collected from one geographic location.

Xfire is not restricted to a singular geographic location, ethnicity or financial class, and while it may not be 100% accurate, using the data obtained from xfire is valid. It's the same as polling 1000 people from 50 states breaking each state into 10 sections and polling 100 people from each of the 10 sections. His data doesn't include everyone, but it gives you a rather rough, but valid idea of what is happening to SWTOR.

FIX THE FPS ISSUE

AND THE GAME WOULD BE WORTH IT!

You might notice the floods of framerate threads have....

stop flooding.

Because for most people where it was a software issue, it's been fixed for weeks.

Fix your machine.

Phenom or Phenom II? Problem is your machine

first-run Core i-series? Problem is your machine

I will explain what SWTOR has at date FEB 27 2012,

1. Warzones

2. Open World PvP

3. Raiding

4. Guilds

5. Community

6. Fans

7. Content and Lore

8. Crafting

9. Space combat

10. A bright future

LOL

Thank you Caeliux, I needed a laugh and that induced some snickering.

Seriously though, we shouldn't compare TOR to the WoW we have today or what came out in 2004. TOR doesn't hold up very well against either. Nah... this line is too mean. Especially when you consider how much more time, talent, and treasure BioWare spent making it. Basically TOR is a more accessible version of WoW, itself a more accessible version of EQ, and in this case TOR may have actually been made too accessible.

Edited by SirRobin

stop flooding.

Because for most people where it was a software issue, it's been fixed for weeks.

Fix your machine.

Oh man you are so right how could I have not seen that:

i7, 8gb Ram, and Radeon HD 7970 3GB are the problem sorry my mistake.

Oh man you are so right how could I have not seen that:

i7, 8gb Ram, and Radeon HD 7970 3GB are the problem sorry my mistake.

generic stat posting makes it better.

i have a hexacore i7 myself (@3.06 Ghz) and I had framerate problems till i updated my EFI bootloader.

The CPU was throttling because the motherboard chipset is set, by default, to throttle the CPU at a stupidly low voltage and heat load.

updated my EFI and i havent dropped below 60fps (with Vsync enabled) once, since, even on Illum. (and im not running a stupidly overpriced 7970, either - just a middle of the road 5870)

Posting random specs doesnt even tell 10% of the story of whats going on in your computer.

Try being a little less ignorant. Itll do wonders for your quality of life.

stop flooding.

Fix your machine.

Except that by their own specs and requirements the problem shouldn't be the machine, especially for hex-core phenom II's. That makes it BW's problem, not mine. Especially since I'm the one paying for the game and they're the ones who want my money. But hey, defend BW's f**kups until you're one of the few left playing if you want to. The game is in trouble, and they're running out of time to fix it before they end up losing money on it.