Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercenaries and Commandos now have a 30-meter interrupt, Disabling Shot. This ability interrupts the target's current action and prevents that ability from being used for the next 4 seconds. This ability can be trained at level 18.

That made my day!!!

And to all you people whining about this being a PvP change, as a PvP/PvEer who runs everything (PvE) with 5-6 commandos usually, this change alone is a MASSIVE help for PvE!!! I'm thrilled I'll be able to interrupt on my Commando instead of asking other people to switch classes for one or two boss fights. I'm thrilled to have it for PvP as well, but imo, this is a BIG PvE change!

3. You ADD abilities, while you already need to know and use more abilites in this game than in other games.

:eek::confused:

what other game are you comparing it to? super mario kart?

this game has so many less abilities than other MMOs, that I don't actually NEED more than 4 bars.. O_o

I'm interested to see how the Resolve changes play out. Overload will be trickier to make good use of, but I won't say that's a bad thing until I've tried it. I am curious about

Infiltration Tactics/Duplicity: Now when triggered, your next Shadow Strike/Maul deals 30% more damage and costs 75% less Force. This cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds, but each rank after the first reduces this rate limit by 3 seconds.

It implies the armor penetration on the talent we have now is gone. 30% flat out extra damage sounds like it should be an overall improvement though.

Edited by Trenhob
read wrong the first time

30m Stun changes are going to murder my PvE experience. Everything else is a nice change and I see the need for it. But seriously Bioware, make abilities do different things as soon as you get into a warzone, then you have balanced PvP. Stop wrecking PvE and making people relearn their classes just so that PvPers have a nice experience.

Agree, its quite a pain that changes, which are great for PvP end up having a bit off a slap on PvE play. Having a 30m stun was especially useful when tanking trash allowing me to control more mobs at a time etc. Now that is restricted to 10m which is a pain considering most mobs use ranged attacks and don't come close.

30m Stun changes are going to murder my PvE experience. Everything else is a nice change and I see the need for it. But seriously Bioware, make abilities do different things as soon as you get into a warzone, then you have balanced PvP. Stop wrecking PvE and making people relearn their classes just so that PvPers have a nice experience.

this ^^ i totally agree, 10m is too short, i could manage 20m, but 10 no way, how am i supposed to play a commando/mercenary now?

stun grenade only 10 meters?

now vanguards have not even 1 ranged stun ability, thnx BW for the crappy IP game u still create

Really? You play a Vanguard and you're complaining about something so minimal? Your class wrecks everything under the Sun with 3 buttons and no effort.

The changes are a great start. But i can't help but ponder Will the devs allow us to test this on the PTS. Or are they just gonna drop this update on the 5th ?? If i had to guess i would say we will see no PTS time on this patch and it will be here very soon as in next week or so. So i beg of the devs don't forget that the PTS allows us the testers to really get in some good feedback. Lets see if we can get a dev in here to at least tell us if we are going to get PTS time or not!

the change to knockbacks is bad for PvE. this will make it far more difficult for consular/inquis to level and takes away their best escape/defense move.

Please stop destroying PvE for the sake of PvP

This has been a constant refrain since launch and I for one am simply tired of it.

I think that most of these changes are really only problems in Huttball, lol.

Resolve building too fast has only ever bothered me when facing the ball carrier, as well as the Sorc/Sage knockback on the bridges.

The purpose of resolve is to prevent characters from being continuously stunned and a general feeling of being unable to respond to attacks before dying. Unfortunately, this is not achieved by the current resolve system.

My proposed solution to the resolve system: resolve should build based on BOTH damage taken during stuns and duration of stuns. Other forms of resolve adding CCs feel more or less OK to me, although extended snares could certainly take another look.

A flashbang stun that is immediately broken shouldn't fill up the resolve bar completely, but a character should not be finally immune to CC's with 20% health left either.

Edited by QuickBunnie

I play PvP quite a bit on my Consular/Shadow. There are a total of four (LOL) whole maps with the same 16 people killing each other over and over again while they talk trash to each other. It's riveting to say the least but good XP so I participate.

PvPers are NOTORIOUS whiners. There have been countless spoofs, memes, parodies, etc. making fun of their incessent nerd rage. (http://www.pwned.nl/) So now here we are, not even one year into SWTOR and every single patch has brought with it ridiculous "balance" changes. The entire player population now has to suffer because of a few loud mouthed whiners with small pathetic lives. Great. Thanks BW for caving into the same crap that destroyed SWG.

Hai pot, have you seen kettle anywhere? I find it ironic you nerd raged with this post with a lot of whining, yet you lumped another player base in this cage. Kinda funny.

stun grenade only 10 meters?

now vanguards have not even 1 ranged stun ability, thnx BW for the crappy IP game u still create

Vanguards are not supposed to be long ranged anyway. Why are you out at 30m when your burst dps is 4-10m and on top of that, the optimal tank distance is 10m (so that you can draw fire from both ranged and melee classes). The stun grenade was always more of a last-resort long-lasting interrupt anyway, not really intended for CC.

Edited by Foobert

The way I read it is the knockback is unchanged but we're getting a nerf to Cryo, which doesn't matter because if there's something you want to stun it's probably already in 4m.

Commando changes are VERY welcome in PVE, especially the interrupt, but that interrupt falls into the "should have been in from day 1 category". The reduced cast time to AMP with full charged barrel stacks is nice but the heal is kinda wimpy in DPS spec and is on a 15s cooldown.

Basically these changes don't do much to make commandos viable in PVP, though hell at least now we can interrupt healers.

Shadow changes should encourage some more Infiltration play which I think is definitely a good thing, and having a 2 minute cooldown instead of a 3 minute cooldown on combat stealth is a great change in my opinion.

Don't know enough about Operative play to comment on the changes there.

Will need to see 1.4 patch notes in full to really absorb the rest of what they're doing, but this update seems to make several updates to PVP while leaving PVE mostly alone which is good, and again I love the interrupt, but outside of the changes to stealth gameplay I don't really see that they've addressed any of the real problems in PVP at all.

this ^^ i totally agree, 10m is too short, i could manage 20m, but 10 no way, how am i supposed to play a commando/mercenary now?

At least you can actually interrupt someone planting or capping at 30M by shooting your basic attack at them... how is my shadow supposed to accomplish this with NO attacks now at 30m?? And before anyone says "pull", not all shadows have this... and even so, it's a 45 sec cool down.

Edited by jcurri

Healers are already too squishy in PvP and now you nerfed their survivability even further by turning Overload and Force Wave into cones. Really?

"The way control abilities were designed encouraged this behavior, and the resulting gameplay could be frustrating."

How do you not understand that making Resolve build slower is only going to increase the frequency of the already frustrating and rage-quit inducing stun-locking in PvP?

And you're doing it because it'll benefit unorganized PuGs? How do you not realize that anything that makes things easier for unorganized PuGs will benefit organized pre-made teams even more? This will only further increase the performance gap between PuGs and pre-mades. Which means more frustration and rage-quitting on PuGs, which means the organized PvPers have even less opposition to fight against.

I truly don't mean to sound rude Mr. Peckenpaugh, but do you actually PvP in this game? I don't mean against your fellow developers but against real organized players? I ask because I do and while I'm far from being one of the best PvPers in this game (not even close), even I can see how these changes will only makes things worse.

"In addition, while Overload and Force Wave make for great escape abilities, they have done so previously at a cost to the overall PvP experience. What we want for these abilities is to create distance between you and your target(s), but what frequently occurs is a bad experience for incidental nearby enemies that aren’t your intended target(s)"

What!? Go find me a sorc or sage that didn't intend to hit all nearby targets with those abilities? So now when i am trying to heal and I've got 3 ppl running around me attacking, i will have to be facing them to hit them? And what about in PVE i won't be able to run in the middle of a mob and knock them all flying? Idk, this seems stupid to me. I've never complained about being knocked back by that ability, that's what it does. Idk tho, maybe its just me. i really don't see the big deal with how it is now.