An in-depth look at: Malak

Aurbere

"There's nobody left who remembers who I was before. But they'll remember Malak. I'll make sure of that."-Malak

After Malak left Coruscant to regroup with Revan and their followers on Cathar, he was followed by Vrook Lamar and members of the Jedi Order. Vrook and the Jedi confronted Revan and told him to abandon their current path, telling them that the Mandalorians were not the true threat. During their argument, Revan noticed a Mandalorian helmet on the ground. He picked it up and all those present experienced a vision.

The vision showed a female Mandalorian, to whom the mask belonged, trying to convince Mandalorian General Cassus Fett to leave the Cathar. She saw how beaten the Cathar were, and that the Mandalorians were victorious. But Cassus saw the Cathar as a stain on the galaxy, and ordered them to be wiped out. He then killed the female Mandalorian and led the Neo-Crusaders to massacre the Cathar.

With the vision's end, Revan pledged to vanquish the Mandalorians, a pledge his followers were more than happy to make as well. However, despite knowing what had occured on Cathar, Vrook and the Jedi did not join Revan, but the Jedi Council allowed the Revanchists to join the Republic.

The Republic gladly accepted them, and declared them Generals. Revan and Malak's entrance to the war marked it's turning point. Republic numbers swelled, new ships were built, and Revan's strategies led the Republic to victory in countless battles. They liberated Taris and Althir from the grip of Mandalore the Ultimate and his general Cassus Fett.

But, as the Jedi Council feared, the war was changing Revan and Malak. They had changed from valiant Jedi to brutal conquerors. They began to believe that ultimate victory was all that mattered, and that anything should be done to achieve that victory. Revan began to adopt the tactics of his enemy, sacrificing worlds to make critical strikes against the Mandalorians. Their newfound savagery brought the war to its climax at Malachor V, where Revan had gone before to discover new Dark Side teachings. He shared these teachings with Malak, cementing their fall to the Dark Side.

Revan then set a trap for the Mandalorians at Malachor V. A great battle took place between the Republic and the Mandalorians. Revan personally executed Mandalore the Ultimate, but this would not be the end of the battle. One last act ended the war: a single nod from Jedi General Meetra Surik. With this act, Iridonian Engineer Bao-Dur activated the Mass Shadow Generator, a devastating weapon that ended the battle.

While Malak and Revan were hailed as heroes, their war was not done. Revan had learned of a Sith threat in the Unknown Regions, and took his forces to deal with it. They found an ancient Sith Emperor lurking on Dromund Kaas. They fought the malevolent being, but were overpowered and twisted by the Emperor's Dark powers. He made the two fallen Jedi Dark Lords of the Sith and sent them back to known space to locate the ancient Star Forge.

Revan and Malak returned to Known Space, bearing the title 'Darth'. Their fall to the Dark Side was complete, and with it, a new war would be waged by the new Sith Lords.

Stay tuned for Darth Malak. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a failure as a Sith Lord and antagonist, failed to surpass his master and even admitted he was nothing in the end.

Well, I guess you could say that. He's not really the best example of a Sith Lord.

But this reminds me of what several characters say when they compare Revan and Malak to Exar Kun. They were right, that's for sure.

Well, I guess you could say that. He's not really the best example of a Sith Lord.

But this reminds me of what several characters say when they compare Revan and Malak to Exar Kun. They were right, that's for sure.

Exar Kun is full of ambition, killed and surpassed both Nadd and Baas. He played a much better antagonist role than Malak.

Indeed he did. Not to mention being more powerful than Malak as well.

And then along came Traya and surpassed them all... :d_wink:

Kind of an unrelated point but I'd like to see something - I don't know what, be a comic, book, game whatever - on Darth Revan. I mean we play Revan Reborn, and we see him in SWTOR but we only hear about his exploits as a Sith Lord.

We never actually see what he was like as a Sith Lord, and I think that would be very interesting. Right know when I think 'Darth Revan', I just think powerful dude did this that and the other and wears cool armour. I wanna see behind the mask! :D

And then along came Traya and surpassed them all... :d_wink:

Kind of an unrelated point but I'd like to see something - I don't know what, be a comic, book, game whatever - on Darth Revan. I mean we play Revan Reborn, and we see him in SWTOR but we only hear about his exploits as a Sith Lord.

We never actually see what he was like as a Sith Lord, and I think that would be very interesting. Right know when I think 'Darth Revan', I just think powerful dude did this that and the other and wears cool armour. I wanna see behind the mask! :D

I would love to see some more exploration on Darth Revan.

Just keep Drew away from it. ;)

I might be only one of a few that thinks Malak actually surpassed Revan in power, (not in tactics or overall brains) as a sith. Then Revan comes back as a jedi stronger than he ever was as a sith and surpasses Malak. (Im probably wrong about this but it makes some sense from a certain point of view.)

Would love to also see more of Darth Revan, if you think about it hes the true author of the Rule of Two, Bane just applied his teachings into making it. So in a way Darth Revan had a hand in creating the most powerful sith to ever live, the final product: Darth Sidious.

I might be only one of a few that thinks Malak actually surpassed Revan in power, (not in tactics or overall brains) as a sith. Then Revan comes back as a jedi stronger than he ever was as a sith and surpasses Malak. (Im probably wrong about this but it makes some sense from a certain point of view.)

Would love to also see more of Darth Revan, if you think about it hes the true author of the Rule of Two, Bane just applied his teachings into making it. So in a way Darth Revan had a hand in creating the most powerful sith to ever live, the final product: Darth Sidious.

Malak had the Star Forge behind him and he still got owned, that's just weak.

And later he even admitted he was nothing, that's something a Sith Lord should never say. The non canon Dark Side ending is even more pathetic. Kun didn't admit defeat and still tried to get away when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, and Malak admitted he was nothing facing one Jedi,

Edited by Slowpokeking

And later he even admitted he was nothing, that's something a Sith Lord should never say. The non canon Dark Side ending is even more pathetic. Kun didn't admit defeat and still tried to get away when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, and Malak admitted he was nothing facing one Jedi,

He got owned by an amnesiac Jedi Revan who had become stronger than he ever was as Darth Revan, felt so by Malak himself. Yes, he ends pathetically i agree with you.

That one Jedi being Revan, his former master whom had grown even stronger since there last confrontation.

And if finally accepting the truth is pathetic then so be it, but at least he was not in denial as Kun was that he could escape his inevitable destruction and that embracing the darkside was worth the rewards.

I thought the battle between Revan and Malak possessed immense gravitas and meaning and Malak's death was both satisfying yet saddening. I wouldn't have had it end any other way.

That one Jedi being Revan, his former master whom had grown even stronger since there last confrontation.

And if finally accepting the truth is pathetic then so be it, but at least he was not in denial as Kun was that he could escape his inevitable destruction and that embracing the darkside was worth the rewards.

I thought the battle between Revan and Malak possessed immense gravitas and meaning and Malak's death was both satisfying yet saddening. I wouldn't have had it end any other way.

True.

Except Kun did survive, just as he had planned. He did not plan for the Wall of Light that sealed him on the moon. But he waited thousands of years and then kicked (post Dark Empire) Luke's butt as a spirit.

Indeed. The final battle was most satisfying. Especially after Taris. But his final speech was very well done.

Revan clearly could not handle thousands of Jedi at once. Actually our characters also kicked his *** in the Foundry.

Sith should be eager to kill and surpass their master, but Malak turned to a weak man in the end. A true Sith should try the best to fight back, at least not lose the spirit.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Except Kun did survive, just as he had planned. He did not plan for the Wall of Light that sealed him on the moon. But he waited thousands of years and then kicked (post Dark Empire) Luke's butt as a spirit.
Ah yes, he waited a thousand years, planning his meticulous revenge, only to be trounced by a bunch of novices and the spirit of his own master. His 'plan' ended in failure. And even if he had survived the Wall of Light or Luke's Praxeum, his destruction at the hands of the Jedi Order was nigh inevitable.

This is what I don't like about Kun, for all his power and skill he achieved bantha poodoo, at least Malak accepted that.

Edited by Beniboybling

Revan clearly could not handle thousands of Jedi at once. Actually our characters also kicked his *** in the Foundry.

Sith should be eager to kill and surpass their master, but Malak turned to a weak man in the end. A true Sith should try the best to fight back, at least not lose the spirit.

Your point being? Malak was one guy, not a thousand. He was also inferior to Revan. Yes Malak failed, but at least he accepted that. Kun just clung onto to life, refusing to admit he was a defeat.

Edited by Beniboybling

Ah yes, he waited a thousand years, planning his meticulous revenge, only to be trounced by a bunch of novices and the spirit of his own master. His 'plan' ended in failure. And even if he had survived the Wall of Light or Luke's Praxeum, his destruction at the hands of the Jedi Order was nigh inevitable.

This is what I don't like about Kun, for all his power and skill he achieved bantha poodoo, at least Malak accepted that.

But he never admitted he was wrong, he never yield for defeat, that's what makes him a great Sith, Malak failed horribly.

Your point being? Malak was one guy, not a thousand. He was also inferior to Revan. Yes Malak failed, but at least he accepted that. Kun just clung onto to life, refusing to admit he was a defeat.

Kun didn't say "I am nothing" and yield when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, why did Malak do it when he lost to Revan? A Sith should contain the hunger to kill and surpass his/her master. Malak didn't make it even with the Star Forge behind him, he even lost the will in the end. That's all pathetic for a Sith.

But he never admitted he was wrong, he never yield for defeat, that's what makes him a great Sith, Malak failed horribly.
That's called stubborn idiocy, if he had admitted his defeat he could have done something for the Sith e.g. what Freedon Nadd did, impart his knowledge to a worthy successor. But he was too absorbed in his lust personal power to see the bigger picture. That's why he failed in life and that's why he failed in death - Bane would not have been impressed. Bane being a real Sith Lord, he realised is own existence was merely a component in a greater design, as such he actually achieved something. What did Kun achieve? Nada. Edited by Beniboybling

You forget that Luke Skywalker contributed to the final Wall of Light that sealed Exar Kun away. Of course Exar Kun didn't accomplish what he set out to do, but he did far more than Malak did.

But anyway, Malak accepted his defeat. In this sense, I believe that he was redeemed or, at least, on the brink.

That's called stubborn idiocy, if he had admitted his defeat he could have done something for the Sith e.g. what Freedon Nadd did, impart his knowledge to a worthy successor. But he was too absorbed in his lust personal power to see the bigger picture. That's why he failed in life and that's why he failed in death - Bane would not have been impressed. Bane being a real Sith Lord, he realised is own existence was merely a component in a greater design, as such he actually achieved something. What did Kun achieve? Nada.

Nadd pretty much did the same thing, the only difference is the Jedi didn't create the wall of light to seal him off. Kun was facing thousands of Jedi at that time, he didn't have time to leave any descendents. He did leave more than Malak, Malak's empire was pretty much in chaos and crumbling before the Sith Triumvirate took over and Kun almost succeed to reemerge 4000 years later.

Edited by Slowpokeking

That's called stubborn idiocy, if he had admitted his defeat he could have done something for the Sith e.g. what Freedon Nadd did, impart his knowledge to a worthy successor. But he was too absorbed in his lust personal power to see the bigger picture. That's why he failed in life and that's why he failed in death - Bane would not have been impressed. Bane being a real Sith Lord, he realised is own existence was merely a component in a greater design, as such he actually achieved something. What did Kun achieve? Nada.

Of course, few Sith Lords achieve very much at all. But that's because all they try to do is wage war. Which they inevitably fail at. Bane actually saw that war with the Jedi was bound for failure. So by putting forth the Rule of Two, he actually achieved something greater than past Sith Lords.

But that depends on what one could consider 'accomplishments'.

I would define an 'accomplishment' as achieving something other than internal power, and leaving some sort of lasting legacy on the galaxy - in this case a lasting legacy for the Sith. Kun did none of these because he was too unwilling to accept defeat and too eager to gather internal power for only himself. Notice how throughout the Great Sith War Kun spent most of his time on Yavin 4 studying the darkside.

Many Sith do infact accomplish something in their lifetime, and do not have those accomplishments swept away. The Sith of ancient times established a rich and powerful Sith Empire that stood for many years. And the last of them, Sadow, preserved himself on Yavin 4 so years later he might pass on his knowledge and continue the Sith and its Empire - that person was Freedon Nadd, who later did the same with Kun.

Darth Revan turned from the dark side and achieved much more in the light (also in the non-canon dark side ending, he achieves a Galactic Sith Empire), and even as a Sith he left a lasting legacy through his holocron and a broken Republic preyed on by the Triumvirate - did Kun ever even create a holocron? Darth Traya accomplished the complete annihilation of the Jedi, and paved way for a new Order. Her apprentices achieved nothing, as she often stated - although Nihilus did pass on his teachings via holocron.

The Members of the New Sith Empire all achieved much to strengthen their Empire which lasted for over 1000 years - and now as they wage war with the Sith they accomplish even more. The Sith to come were not as impressive, hence why Bane had them swept aside. Although Ruin began the New Sith Wars, Darzu left a holocron and Kaan's order birthed Darth Bane. And then the new Order of the Sith Lords led to the eventual realisation of the Grand Plan. Lumiya continued the line of the Sith and Darth Krayt established a galaxy-spanning Sith Empire.

So in fact many, if not most Sith achieved something in their lifetime and had a lasting legacy in death. Kun had neither of these, he waged a failed crusade against the Republic which failed even to create any form of lasting Sith territory, and in death he refused to pass his teachings on to another and instead created a personal cult (strikes of a self-centered egoistical mind) and then terrorized Luke's Praxeum until he was finally put down. I'm sure that if Traya ever confronted Kun she would say something along the lines of : 'To have fallen so far and learned nothing, that is your failure.'

Also:

• Nadd did something entirely different to Kun, he imparted his knowledge of the darkside to Kun in order to continue the legacy of the Sith, Kun merely manipulated Kyp Durron into becoming his personal weapon against the galaxy, going on a rampage throughout the galaxy causing as much destruction as he could, because Kun hungered for pain and destruction. I doubt he had little or any care for the continuation of the Sith. The fact that he promised him power and taught him nothing is testament to this.

• 'Lots of Jedi around at that time' is a rather petty excuse for not leaving a legacy, especially as he managed to live on as a Sith spirit. You'll find that there were always many Jedi around, throughout the course of galactic history. And yet still all the Sith I listed above accomplished something and left a legacy.

• Did Kun achieve more than Malak did? I'm not saying he did, in fact their personalities were much the same so its no wonder they both achieved relatively little. All I'm saying is Malak accepted his defeat. But Kun refused too which is why he never left a legacy, because he only wanted power for himself.

You'll find that the only thing Kun achieved, all indadvertedly, was the near extinction of the Massassi race and the introduction of the double-bladed lightsaber to the wider galaxy. He achieved nothing for the Sith.

Edited by Beniboybling

I would define an 'accomplishment' as achieving something other than internal power, and leaving some sort of lasting legacy on the galaxy - in this case a lasting legacy for the Sith. Kun did none of these because he was too unwilling to accept defeat and too eager to gather internal power for only himself. Notice how throughout the Great Sith War Kun spent most of his time on Yavin 4 studying the darkside.

Many Sith do infact accomplish something in their lifetime, and do not have those accomplishments swept away. The Sith of ancient times established a rich and powerful Sith Empire that stood for many years. And the last of them, Sadow, preserved himself on Yavin 4 so years later he might pass on his knowledge and continue the Sith and its Empire - that person was Freedon Nadd, who later did the same with Kun.

Darth Revan turned from the dark side and achieved much more in the light (also in the non-canon dark side ending, he achieves a Galactic Sith Empire), and even as a Sith he left a lasting legacy through his holocron and a broken Republic preyed on by the Triumvirate - did Kun ever even create a holocron? Darth Traya accomplished the complete annihilation of the Jedi, and paved way for a new Order. Her apprentices achieved nothing, as she often stated - although Nihilus did pass on his teachings via holocron.

The Members of the New Sith Empire all achieved much to strengthen their Empire which lasted for over 1000 years - and now as they wage war with the Sith they accomplish even more. The Sith to come were not as impressive, hence why Bane had the swept aside. Although Ruin began the New Sith Wars, Darzu left a holocron and Kaan's order birthed Darth Bane. And then the new Order of the Sith Lords led to the eventual realisation of the Grand Plan. Lumiya continued the line of the Sith and Darth Krayt established a galaxy-spanning Sith Empire.

So in fact many, if not most Sith achieved something in their lifetime and had a lasting legacy in death. Kun had neither of these, he waged a failed crusade against the Republic which failed even to create any form of lasting Sith territory, and in death he refused to pass his teachings on to another and instead created a personal cult (strikes of a self-centered egoistical mind) and then terrorized Luke's Praxeum until he was finally put down. I'm sure that if Traya ever confronted Kun she would say something along the lines of : 'To have fallen so far and learned nothing, that is your failure.'

Also:

• Nadd did something entirely different to Kun, he imparted his knowledge of the darkside to Kun in order to continue the legacy of the Sith, Kun merely manipulated Kyp Durron into becoming his personal weapon against the galaxy, going on a rampage throughout the galaxy causing as much destruction as he could, because Kun hungered for pain and destruction. I doubt he had little or any care for the continuation of the Sith. The fact that he promised him power and taught him nothing is testament to this.

• 'Lots of Jedi around at that time' is a rather petty excuse for not leaving a legacy, especially as he managed to live on as a Sith spirit. You'll find that there were always many Jedi around, throughout the course of galactic history. And yet still all the Sith I listed above accomplished something and left a legacy.

• Did Kun achieve more than Malak did? I'm not saying he did, in fact their personalities were much the same so its no wonder they both achieved relatively little. All I'm saying is Malak accepted his defeat. But Kun refused too which is why he never left a legacy, because he only wanted power for himself.

You'll find that the only thing Kun achieved, all indadvertedly, was the near extinction of the Massassi race and the introduction of the double-bladed lightsaber to the wider galaxy. He achieved nothing for the Sith.

Agree with all of this except Revan doing more as a jedi with his legacy, since his teachings via holocron as a sith are the core of what Bane used to create the Rule of Two. Without them there would be no Rule of Two.

Agree with all of this except Revan doing more as a jedi with his legacy, since his teachings via holocron as a sith are the core of what Bane used to create the Rule of Two. Without them there would be no Rule of Two.
That is true. But then again that was more his legacy in death, in life he his saved the Republic from destruction at the hands of the Sith twice. But yes, he new Sith philosophy was a major contribution to the Sith Order and its eventual triumph over the Jedi.

Beni, that's a good point about accomplishments, and I agree with you. Except for one thing.

Exar Kun did leave a lasting impression on the galaxy by killing Odan-Urr and destroying the Great Library. Not as great as the Rule of Two (for obvious reasons) or creating a mighty, long-lived Sith Empire, but it was a major setback for the Jedi Order.

Of course it didn't last long as most of the knowledge within the Library was eventually 'rediscovered/reinvented.'