Coilcoid Wargames: Don't make minigame encounters

I just attempted to form a Coilcoid wargames Flashpoint group. It went well, until we tried to use the turrets. We wiped three times before we figured out how they worked.

Even after that, we weren't able to down all the waves before we were killed for the next three attempts. I don't know what we did wrong, but the turrets weren't firing fast enough to kill them

The biggest problem with this flashpoint is the use of a mechanic unique to it. There is no tutorial or guidance on how it works, we just have to figure it out by trial and error. I find this infuriating, doubly because I didn't enter a flashpoint to play a very low grade minigame.

I entered it to tank it, or heal it, or DPS it. I, the player, with my accumulated skills, abilities, and gear have no bearing on the outcome of the encounter. A minigame is fine for things like space combat, because it isn't interspersed with the core gameplay. I don't care if the minigame is easy, its a gimmick that requires its own learning curve, and it is most likely discarded to never be used again.

For the love of god Bioware don't make more encounters like this. I detested Ulduar in WoW, and I have no patience for vehicle mechanics. They are a distraction and detraction from the proper gameplay.

• 1 month later...

collicoid is great and i want to see more games like this. yeah part of it is a bit strangely designed but nothing you cant get used to.

Personally as a tank i like to watch the encounters on youtube before i jump in so im not going in blind and cause a wipe. I would suggest everyone takes a bit of time to watch the fp's before.

I don't know what we did wrong, but the turrets weren't firing fast enough to kill them.

If you dont know what you are doing, you shouldn't be posting this. And how the heck can you make a conclusion that the turret isn't firering fast enough?

So in your logic, if an encounter isn't working for you the way you are doing it, the encounter is not working as intended?

collicoid wargames is a wonderful change of pace for a flashpoint, please do not stop putting these types of dungeon challenges into the game

i can understand the frustration of the OP but once you figure out how to do the turrets, it's a really fun instance and for the poster with the language barrier problem, i doubt it makes much difference what FP you'd be in, if you're having communication issues with your group, you'd have them in any other FP too.

tbh, i think you've done a great job with flashpoints and ops so far bioware, keep it up.

Was by far the most original and best flashpoint in the game.

PLEASE bw make more and ffs ignore the OP.

This.

Mini-games are fun and break up the monotony. Sure, they shouldn't be over-used: we should, for the vast majority of the time, be playing our core roles and using the toons we've geared up. BUT mini-games are great when they are sprinkled throughout the content as a fun change of pace. It's a video game, the main point is to have fun.

You died 3 times? THREE? The horror!!! (sarcasm)

So it took some time to learn. Thats gaming! Newsflash: stuff you can run thru on the first attempt is BORING! Three times really isnt that many, and once you've learned the mechanics and what needs to happen then you will likely be much more successful in future runs thru it.

I had a TON of fun playing thru Colicoid War Game, despite (or maybe due to) the learning curve and initial wipes.

I hope to see more content like this!

Edited by Subparhero

Turret minigame is fine, I actually liked that (it's okay in Kaon as well). The following "puzzle" with the force fields, however, is merely tedious. Alternative mechanics do have their place in the game but that one, in my opinion, just sucked.

First of all that fp is a joke seriously.

If an operation comes out including that next patch /unsub.

The whole flashpoint is boring and yes i completed it.

Compared to the joke Bioware calls "Nightmare".. this is even a bigger joke.

If you think you can pug that one gl hf. If one guy sucks dont even try again you gonna have a wipefest.

Just do PvP or quests and you gonna get more xp and out-lvl the items you get from the flashpoints easily...

There is no tutorial or guidance on how it works, we just have to figure it out by trial and error. I find this infuriating, doubly because I didn't enter a flashpoint to play a very low grade minigame.

Wow, trial and error in a boss encounter you've never seen before?! I am shocked, truly.

Colocoid Wargames is one of the best flashpoints out there.

I'd have to agree, the turret part of Colicoid was the worst part of any of the flashpoints. It's a repetitious annoyance of a minigame that has no point in being in a group zone. You'd either have done it and wiped a few times, and then it's tremendously easy every time afterwards, or you have someone in group that hasn't done it before and you have to waste time while they learn.

The zone is fun after the turret parts though.

seriously bioware, what were you thinking FORCING people to run colicoid and figure something out themselves? I don't pay a monthly sub to have a choice between several FPs and still run colicoid!

remove that or I'll quit!!!!!!!!!!!! how DARE you make an instance that is not a boring and mindless zerg through trash till the boss? fail!!!11!elevensies

Edited by Graburr

I loved it, favourite flashpoint I did whilst leveling through, to me it felt inventive and fun. I'd really love it to be made into a hard mode so I can run it with guild friends, rather than just the pug group I did first time around.

It was different to the standard... run through here, kill those mobs, tank&spank that boss. I enjoyed it, and by the looks of this thread many more did too.

Mount 3 turrets and put your healer in the middle. Solved.

Learn2play. Use 4 turrets. Ask each member that they have to shoot "4" targets per wave killing the range first. Tell them if they shoot targets not belonging to theirs, they might get overwhelmed. I have explained this to a random PuG (pickup group) and we never failed.

To OP, I dont mind such minigames. You think that level 50 guy could carry you coz he's uber level and uber geared? He should know how to use the turret first. LOL.

The 2nd part is also awesome. Running to the terminal to turn off the wall while elites trying to knockback you out of the platform is fun.

Another hint for the Colicoid Wargames. Near the turrets area, there is an object that someone with high enough Archaeology can "use". Use it, and your gathered party members (and you) get a 10 minute regen buff that works in and out of combat.

Makes the turret portion of the mini-game (both sets) oh so much more fun and pleasant.

I believe its the same regen if you have an archaeologist use a nearby object in Red Reaver before the robot fight.

Even after that, we weren't able to down all the waves before we were killed for the next three attempts. I don't know what we did wrong, but the turrets weren't firing fast enough to kill them

If you're having problems with dying, have the healer stand in the middle so he/she can heal you all, and have all turrets face inwards this gives you a much wider field of view and you can cover the turret the healer would sit in plus the healer.

The biggest problem with this flashpoint is the use of a mechanic unique to it. There is no tutorial or guidance on how it works, we just have to figure it out by trial and error. I find this infuriating, doubly because I didn't enter a flashpoint to play a very low grade minigame.

A 'low grade' minigame you're incapable of doing? \= |

Heaven forfend that you should have to figure out a mechanic without being given an instruction manual... You'll love Siege of Kaon then... X D

I entered it to tank it, or heal it, or DPS it. I, the player, with my accumulated skills, abilities, and gear have no bearing on the outcome of the encounter. A minigame is fine for things like space combat, because it isn't interspersed with the core gameplay. I don't care if the minigame is easy, its a gimmick that requires its own learning curve, and it is most likely discarded to never be used again.

Your skill does have a direct bearing on passing this section. Or do you think no one has ever successfully completed Colicoid?

For the love of god Bioware don't make more encounters like this. I detested Ulduar in WoW, and I have no patience for vehicle mechanics. They are a distraction and detraction from the proper gameplay.

I love the arrogance of people that say that the bits they can't wrap their head around aren't 'proper' gameplay when most of the rest of the population don't have a major problem...

I can't wait till you get to Kaon, the waaaaaaah post here should be priceless... =)