Rakghouls?

Mardalador

What level do you encounter them? And can someone explain to me the whole infection thing?

For the Republic you'll first see them on Taris (level 16-20) for the Empire it's also Taris But it's at level 32-36,as for the origin of the plague i believe it was made useing the dark side of the force,not entirely sure on it's origin tbh but i hope this helps:jawa_wink:

Edited by Viledinner
spell mistake

Yes, he has the levels right, but it's Taris, not Raris. And you don't have to worry about the infection unless you are participating in the Rakghoul event, which is over. You can get the plague on Taris, and you need to get it for a side quest. Fight rakgouls to get it. It dosn't do inything but give a debuff that dosn't so anything but say you're infected.

What level do you encounter them? And can someone explain to me the whole infection thing?

I was about to ask the same question. Anyways...what are you trying to say Y-bot? Only have the infection active?..and no other buff should be active at that time? I've been infected a few times and nothing happened...the infection would only last a few secs. On top of that, there is a timer beside the Quest name. How does this work? Am I supposed to be consistently infected the entire 1 hour and a half?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

I was about to ask the same question. Anyways...what are you trying to say Y-bot? Only have the infection active?..and no other buff should be active at that time? I've been infected a few times and nothing happened...the infection would only last a few secs. On top of that, there is a timer beside the Quest name. How does this work? Am I supposed to be consistently infected the entire 1 hour and a half?

Please help! Thanks in advance!

For that particular mission, it's not the small debuff you get that completes the mission. It's a different infection. You just have to keep fighting rakghouls until you get the mission complete. Any rakghoul will work.

Sometimes you'll get infected very quickly (like in the first 10 seconds) other times it takes forever (1 hour for me last time).

If you see that you are running short on time and are still not infected, open up your mission log and hit the Reset button. This will reset the timer to 1 hour 30 min so you can keep trying.

For the Republic you'll first see them on Taris (level 16-20) for the Empire it's also Taris But it's at level 32-36,as for the origin of the plague i believe it was made useing the dark side of the force,not entirely sure on it's origin tbh but i hope this helps:jawa_wink:

Rakghouls were a type of Sith-spawned mutants, engineered by the Sith Lord Karness Muur. Desiring an army to rule over and seeking a way to cheat death as so many other Sith before and after him did, Muur forged a talisman that he poured his spirit and power into, one that eventually came to be known as the Muur Talisman. Muur's talisman could turn almost any sentient being near him into a mindless rakghoul which he could control, but he found that there were exceptions: Force-sensitives and certain alien species could resist the talisman's effects. Thus, Muur engineered the "rakghoul plague", a virus-like disease that could be spread by a rakghoul's bite or a scratch from its claws, and that subjected the victim to a slower transformation into a rakghoul. Jealous and fearful of his power, Muur's Sith rivals killed him, and over time, the Muur Talisman came to reside on the Outer Rim world of Taris where the rakghoul plague ran rampant throughout the world's impoverished Undercity, creating vast numbers of rakghouls. The people of Taris would manage to put an end to the rakghoul presence on their world at some point prior to the year 19 BBY, and by the days of the Second Imperial Civil War, rakghouls were believed to be extinct.

Rakghouls were a type of Sith-spawned mutants, engineered by the Sith Lord Karness Muur. Desiring an army to rule over and seeking a way to cheat death as so many other Sith before and after him did, Muur forged a talisman that he poured his spirit and power into, one that eventually came to be known as the Muur Talisman. Muur's talisman could turn almost any sentient being near him into a mindless rakghoul which he could control, but he found that there were exceptions: Force-sensitives and certain alien species could resist the talisman's effects. Thus, Muur engineered the "rakghoul plague", a virus-like disease that could be spread by a rakghoul's bite or a scratch from its claws, and that subjected the victim to a slower transformation into a rakghoul. Jealous and fearful of his power, Muur's Sith rivals killed him, and over time, the Muur Talisman came to reside on the Outer Rim world of Taris where the rakghoul plague ran rampant throughout the world's impoverished Undercity, creating vast numbers of rakghouls. The people of Taris would manage to put an end to the rakghoul presence on their world at some point prior to the year 19 BBY, and by the days of the Second Imperial Civil War, rakghouls were believed to be extinct.

However, with the Muur Talisman laid the ability to create new rakghouls, and the galaxy would see the return of the rakghoul when the oubliette belonging to the Sith Lord Dreypa was uncovered by Darth Vader, and the Jedi Knight Celeste Morne who had entombed herself and the talisman within for safekeeping nearly four thousand years prior, was revived. Morne battled Vader, but was no match for the skills of the Sith Lord and his stormtroopers, so she called upon the talisman's power to turn the stormtroopers into rakghouls; outnumbered, Darth Vader fled, stranding Morne on the desolate moon she had awakened on with only rakghouls and the spirit of Karness Muur for company. Several years later, Morne and the talisman would escape the moon aboard a Rebel Alliance shuttle, turning the crew of an orbiting Imperial-class Star Destroyer into rakghouls during her escape. Later, after her ship had been taken aboard a Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer, Morne turned the crew of the Iron Sun into subservient rakghouls with the power of the Muur Talisman. Morne and her rakghoul crew later came into contact with former Jedi Cade Skywalker, who convinced Morne to join him in his campaign against the current Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Krayt, after curing the rakghoul plague he had been infected with using his unique healing ability. During their attack on Krayt's forces, Krayt was killed and Morne convinced Skywalker to end her life and her suffering under Karness Muur's constant psychic presence. Skywalker then destroyed the Muur Talisman as it attempted to bind itself to a new host, effectively putting an end to the primary source of rakghouls.

For that particular mission, it's not the small debuff you get that completes the mission. It's a different infection. You just have to keep fighting rakghouls until you get the mission complete. Any rakghoul will work.

Sometimes you'll get infected very quickly (like in the first 10 seconds) other times it takes forever (1 hour for me last time).

If you see that you are running short on time and are still not infected, open up your mission log and hit the Reset button. This will reset the timer to 1 hour 30 min so you can keep trying.

This has to be the most random mission I've come across. The "strong or elite" theory might help but not always.

Some of our guild have spent (literally) hours trying to get infected, hacking away at every rakghoul they come across. I think 3.5 hours was our guild's record when they finally got credit two zones over.

Our first time through we noticed that the timer reset itself after the initial 45minutes ran out. Might have changed since then.

This has to be the most random mission I've come across. The "strong or elite" theory might help but not always.

Some of our guild have spent (literally) hours trying to get infected, hacking away at every rakghoul they come across. I think 3.5 hours was our guild's record when they finally got credit two zones over.

Our first time through we noticed that the timer reset itself after the initial 45minutes ran out. Might have changed since then.

I just don't get this. I've run this mission with 6 toons on live and with another 5 heading back to beta. I've never failed to get infected within 1 minute.

I'm not trying to say anything against you, I just think people (in general) over think this mission. They run all round and don't get infected and wonder why. It's really not that hard. Run right up the pipe in the north, leave your companion on passive, and engage the red rakgoul by the tree. Stand there and let him hit you (occasionally, I've had to use a med pack while he's hitting me) until you get infected. It's worked for me every time.

I just don't get this. I've run this mission with 6 toons on live and with another 5 heading back to beta. I've never failed to get infected within 1 minute.

I'm not trying to say anything against you, I just think people (in general) over think this mission. They run all round and don't get infected and wonder why. It's really not that hard. Run right up the pipe in the north, leave your companion on passive, and engage the red rakgoul by the tree. Stand there and let him hit you (occasionally, I've had to use a med pack while he's hitting me) until you get infected. It's worked for me every time.

Yeap, we tried that. We were in a group of 4, all doing the same quests. 2 of us got infected right away. A 3rd took, like, 10 minutes. The 4th guy could not get infected for the life of him, despite standing there healing himself until he was green in the face. He is also "that guy" who is consistently last to get the x random mission drops (see emergent medicine or that one with the droid cores for Belsavis dailies). He and RNG are not friends.

You're right...it's not that hard AND you don't have to over think it. BUT, I've done all the things that you said..it's only common sense. But RNG can sometimes be a pain in the *** I commend you for being able to complete the quest, multiple times, without any problems...that's some luck you have! :)

And yes...I'm still trying to get infected! lol I'll keep trying though!

You're right...it's not that hard AND you don't have to over think it. BUT, I've done all the things that you said..it's only common sense. But RNG can sometimes be a pain in the *** I commend you for being able to complete the quest, multiple times, without any problems...that's some luck you have! :)

And yes...I'm still trying to get infected! lol I'll keep trying though!

It's not hard solo but i think there is an issue when grouped. I have never had any problem when I played solo, but when I was in a group, some people never did get infected.

I ran one of my alts through it last night, solo. I got infected in about 5 minutes.

Edited by Owsley

It's not hard solo but i think there is an issue when grouped. I have never had any problem when I played solo, but when I was in a group, some people never did get infected.

I ran one of my alts through it last night, solo. I got infected in about 5 minutes.

This is my opinion as well. With my solo chars it took me 3 mins max every time I've done it. When I'm grouped with my wife it's always a pain. One of the times we had to reset the timer 5 times (yes 5, and yes we were at the right place...I had done that quest 5 times by then...) and then we decided to abandon the mission and pick it back up. I got infected right away (after the rakghoul hit me, of course :p) but it took her another 45 mins to get hers (she got it reght away when she abandoned and got the mission a third time)

I've found that, for some reason, resetting the quest helps with getting infected more quickly.

Agreed. I kept trying...sometimes I would do other quests, and then go back to it again and I still didn't get infected!!! It was time consuming!!! So I abandoned the quest and restarted it. Right after the cut scene, I went straight to the area and did the quest...it took less than a minute for me to get infected.

So for new players, as soon as you receive the "Catalyst" quest...complete it immediately. Don't do any other quest at that moment. And if you did...simply abandon the quest and restart it.

Happy Hunting!

Greetings everyone!

For those who are experiencing issues with the quest "Catalyst" on Taris, can you please provide the following information with as much detail as possible:

• Where exactly in terms of location did you get infected?
  • What was the name of the mob that infected you (or description if you don't remember the name)?
  • Did you die, enter a warzone, or anything like that anywhere along the way during the mission?
  • Were you in a group or solo?
  • Did maybe your companion aggro the mob first?

Thank you for your information!

when i did catalyst i was in a group and got infected immediately after aggroing the first red rakghoul i saw, and my friend took about 1.25-1.5 hours to get infected. neither of us died or even left the quest zone. our companions were both on passive and when he was trying to get infected he was healing himself. that is all the information i can give you regarding as to how he and i did it and what complications might have been involved