Why TOR's storyline is so disappointing?

Gooseguy

It is simply because it has no consequences for whatever actions you choose. It doesn't really matter which option you pick, the next part of the story ends the exact same way for every choice. And it doesn't really matter which dialogue option you choose either, all you *maybe* get is a different response.

I mean you never get different gear, special items, credits, or anything of that sort based on storyline options, i think it's just kinda bland for a game that is a carbon copy of WOW (except the voiceovers ofcourse) to just have it stall out completely once u pick ur different option.

I mean if you are going to imbed story into an MMO or any game, for that matter, atleast make it feel like it's important right?

And don't even get me started on dark/light side... the only benefits too this are equipping RELICS? Or looking sick if ur too far into the darkside?

I remember in an interview prior too the games release, one of the developers was like... *You will be able too choose different options for your storyline in flashpoints, that will affect what *BOSSES* you fight inside it... And the only flashpoint for which it's available is in Black Talon LOL! 1 stinky boss with 0 twists too it anyway, making it such a joke too even implement and talk about honestly.

I mean so much hype about TOR's storyline, i just don't even see how it's impressive at all, doesn't even feel like it matters (which it doesn't apparently).

And for those who say, too give it time. It won't have ANY time or chance too improve if it's DEAD now will it? I think it's pretty obvious that thier first impression was what mattered most...

Edited by Gooseguy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're speaking only for yourself, I'm afraid. I don't find the storyline disappointing at all. I'm rather impressed by it, actually. The game has a few flaws, but the story isn't one of them. For me, anyway. Edited by Kharnis

You're speaking only for yourself, I'm afraid. I don't find the storyline disappointing at all. I'm rather impressed by it, actually. The game has a few flaws, but the story isn't one of them. For me, anyway.

This.

Ive enjoyed all the class story lines ive played. And besides the need for crafting bots the class stories are the only real reason i have any alts.

Adding real consequenses just adds a whole new set of problems into a game, and those problems are compounded ten fold when the game is an MMO. Imo they fall into the category of "yeah it would be nice, but not feasable".

Edited by Mallorik

The (class) stories are pretty good and stuff.

I agree that its disappointing that none of the converstation options really have any consequence worth mentioning. Also, I find they did bend the truth a bit prior to launch with their "its gonna be 8 games! 8 full stories like kotor 3+4+5+ etc"...its 2 full stories, republic and imperial...then there are 6 more shortstories coming along with 90% story you arlready know.

The (class) stories are pretty good and stuff.

I agree that its disappointing that none of the converstation options really have any consequence worth mentioning. Also, I find they did bend the truth a bit prior to launch with their "its gonna be 8 games! 8 full stories like kotor 3+4+5+ etc"...its 2 full stories, republic and imperial...then there are 6 more shortstories coming along with 90% story you arlready know.

I agree with this

You're speaking only for yourself, I'm afraid. I don't find the storyline disappointing at all. I'm rather impressed by it, actually. The game has a few flaws, but the story isn't one of them. For me, anyway.

I agree. I enjoy the Class Storylines. They're unique. Of course, when you go back and level Alts (I've done the Revanite questline 4 or 5 times, including beta testing) you learn to Spacebar through most of them.

I've worn out two buttons on my keyboard, <spacebar> and <1>

(unless I see an alignment choice I want on "2" or "3" that is)

If you don't get it, this has everything to do with the preceding posts in this thread.

I love the story!

The decisions you make in the story, are not so much about changing the outcome of your story, rather it is about the emotion behind those decisions.

There has been a lot of times while playing that I found myself stuck on a hard choice ('do I kill him, or let him go'). No matter what, that choice is not gong to alter the direction of the game or the story...but it allowed me to give my character a voice.

I've worn out two buttons on my keyboard, <spacebar> and <1>

(unless I see an alignment choice I want on "2" or "3" that is)

If you don't get it, this has everything to do with the preceding posts in this thread.

I think you're playing the wrong game.

I think you're playing the wrong game.

People have different play styles and considering the inordinate amount of time spent redoing the same quests when you roll an alt it is completely reasonable.

So far, I think that the class story lines and voice acting is superb.

I have a few alts that I'm levelling up at the same time and the generic missions and acting aren't as interesting second time round.

However, the class stories are absolutely brilliant. I really can't see how people can complain about these (unless their level 50 endings are bad).

I love the story!

The decisions you make in the story, are not so much about changing the outcome of your story, rather it is about the emotion behind those decisions.

There has been a lot of times while playing that I found myself stuck on a hard choice ('do I kill him, or let him go'). No matter what, that choice is not gong to alter the direction of the game or the story...but it allowed me to give my character a voice.

Just yesterday I had a descision to kill of a House Rist intellegince officer who betrayed me when I needed information. As a light side Sith, I wanted to kill him. I knew I would gain affection with andronokis if I did, becuase he hates betrayal, but I knew I was light side and ended up losing 30 affection just to get 100 lightside points.

The emotion keeps me going in story quests too.

So far, I think that the class story lines and voice acting is superb.

I have a few alts that I'm levelling up at the same time and the generic missions and acting aren't as interesting second time round.

However, the class stories are absolutely brilliant. I really can't see how people can complain about these (unless their level 50 endings are bad).

Just yesterday I had a descision to kill of a House Rist intellegince officer who betrayed me when I needed information. As a light side Sith, I wanted to kill him. I knew I would gain affection with andronokis if I did, becuase he hates betrayal, but I knew I was light side and ended up losing 30 affection just to get 100 lightside points.

The emotion keeps me going in story quests too.

Nicely said, both of you. :)

I disagree with the OP and found the stories [i have seen 6 up to chapter 2 3 all the way through] were all good and even refreshing and surprising at points not just generic plots or characters and there was actually a few twists.

as for variation I think people expect to many little things to change the whole game. it's about your responses and how you treat people not if you made the right choices to save or lose corellia. everyone will win corellia and then lose it again for the dailies. it's a game with a story not a sim. I think mass effect has this same problem with its fanbase

what I didn't like about the story is its littered with side quests. when I would get to a new planet I had a clear goal, meet with your contact [class story] and usually you would get a request from someone in charge of the planet for some help [world arc] both of these will have chained quests that follow a story and are really fun and entertaining.

the problem is when I get to the first quest hub I am overrun with side quests [i have to take to stay on level] from inept people to run pointless errands for them. these bury the main class and world arcs in mindless tasks and grinding mobs over and over. and you lose track of the story and end up on a claass quest trying to remember what you agreed to do a hour ago before you started getting side tracked by all these idiots who can't do things themselves. I started just grinding all the side quests out of the way and then go back and do the class quests but this is very inefficient and tedious

I guess my point is the story is really awesome when you follow it from quest to quest but the amount and quality in the side quest is what kills the story for me

i enjoy the stories mostly.

what bothers me most about the class stories, however, is the fact that out of the ones i've done so far there seems to be spots where you're just simply doing errands for people to acquire something you want. the classic "you get this if you save my village" then off to the next village to do favors and so on until you get the right amount of something. then and only then does the story ever get anywhere.

those errands are irrelevant to the main class plot. trying not to ruin anything so i guess spoiler alert if you can call it a spoiler.

but the Inquisitor storyline eventually has to trying to acquire a few objects on separate planets. each person that can help you on said planets requires some kind of aid to get it. that aid is a story totally unrelated to the main point of the class quest. but along the way you just happen to have relevant points mentioned but still not tied to the errand story.

i was under the impression that THAT was what the planet questline was for. helping the planet (or not helping depending on your side of it.)

it sounds like a big qq but it really isn't intended to be one. it doesn't bother me enough to say "i'm rage quitting over this."

The story tries too hard.

My Jedi Knight solo killing the Sith Emperor and never effects the course of events outside my own little story world and getting a little 2 minute celebration at the end? Yeah I was really enthralled with that one....... :rolleyes:

Edited by Dunzo

It is simply because it has no consequences for whatever actions you choose. It doesn't really matter which option you pick, the next part of the story ends the exact same way for every choice. And it doesn't really matter which dialogue option you choose either, all you *maybe* get is a different response.

I mean you never get different gear, special items, credits, or anything of that sort based on storyline options, i think it's just kinda bland for a game that is a carbon copy of WOW (except the voiceovers ofcourse) to just have it stall out completely once u pick ur different option.

I mean if you are going to imbed story into an MMO or any game, for that matter, atleast make it feel like it's important right?

And don't even get me started on dark/light side... the only benefits too this are equipping RELICS? Or looking sick if ur too far into the darkside?

I remember in an interview prior too the games release, one of the developers was like... *You will be able too choose different options for your storyline in flashpoints, that will affect what *BOSSES* you fight inside it... And the only flashpoint for which it's available is in Black Talon LOL! 1 stinky boss with 0 twists too it anyway, making it such a joke too even implement and talk about honestly.

I mean so much hype about TOR's storyline, i just don't even see how it's impressive at all, doesn't even feel like it matters (which it doesn't apparently).

And for those who say, too give it time. It won't have ANY time or chance too improve if it's DEAD now will it? I think it's pretty obvious that thier first impression was what mattered most...

There are actually many consequences. Have you even gotten to level 50? You're presented a big choice no matter what, and your payments, ds/ls points, affection (how well your companions work(, and, once again, rewards, are affected.

I love the story!

My thoughts exactly!

My Jedi Knight solo killing the Sith Emperor and never effects the course of events outside my own little story world and getting a little 2 minute celebration at the end? Yeah I was really enthralled with that one....... :rolleyes:

I already knew this but they have spoiler tags for a reason ;)

Edited by USMCjv

your jedi knight killing the emporer and not effecting the story outside of your bubble????

we all lost our imortal emporer because of you and had to put down one of our best darth lords because of that little incedent you roll your eyes at. now we have that pathetic sith serivan [i think hes in charge now??? ] from voss in charge and hes a idot and horrible sith [seriously who wrote this guy he acts more like a moff then a sith]

Edited by Vis-Tecum

Hello Everyone

We ask that story discussions outside of the Spoilers forum be wrapped in spoiler tags. You may do this by putting [noparse]

[/noparse] at the beginning of your text and [noparse]

[/noparse] at the end! Your result will look like this:

this is an example of hidden text with spoiler tags!

Thanks everyone!