In Which Order do You Invest Points into Different Skill Trees?

DomiSotto

It looks like most of the builds have 5-10 points invested into secondary trees, and then 36+ in the 'main' tree. I normally filled out all the low tier ability left to right in a systematic way, though now I prefer to start with bumping the primary stat first... is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?

I would not say that order has a significant impact on the early levels. It does make more of a difference in the 45-55 range, because the earliest you'll be able to get your top tree ability is level 45, if you've invested all your points into one tree. This is usually a pretty key ability, and the sooner you can take advantage of it, and get comfortable using it, the better.

It looks like most of the builds have 5-10 points invested into secondary trees, and then 36+ in the 'main' tree. I normally filled out all the low tier ability left to right in a systematic way, though now I prefer to start with bumping the primary stat first... is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?

It really depends on your class and the main tree. For example, Seer/Balance Sage will probably invest first five points in Telekinetics Tree, because Mental Longevity and Inner Strength are very valuable, especially at lower levels. But generally, reaching the top-tier ability as fast as possible, that is investing first 36 points into the main tree, doesn't hurt.

You can also play around with the Field Respecialization - the Seer Sage may put first five points into TK tree, another 30 into Seer tree, and as soon as they get the 36th point, they respec to get Salvation.

Bumping the primary stat should be done last, not first. 9% out of 200 Cunning won't make any real difference - 9% out of 3000 Cunning will.

Edited by Danylia

I'm siding with Danyla here. Depends entirely on the spec. For example a pyrotech mercenery (assault commando) should probably almost always start with two points in the gunnery tree because pushback resistance is that valuable. Pretty much all sages like a few points in telekenetics at first. I know some assasin tanks who go up the madness tree until they hit the 11 point talent since they really don't get much snap aoe burst - then don't respec to full darkness until around level 45. Edited by Luneward

I have often wondered this, especially on my new powertech, I am using Dulfy's guide for Pyrotech seen here http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/powertech#130-1302-121230322101122203323 now from what I understand this is similar to assault spec on troopers so my focus is on HIB/RS doing most of my damage so points in puncture and rail loaders seems needed early, plus since I know flame burst becomes my main filler so that means Prototype Burn Enhancers to enhance flame attacks seem to be a must early also.

Can anybody tell me if my line of thoughts above is valid , I only ask because I enjoy playing the game but really don't understand a lot of the game mechanics such as I always seem to increase my main stat ASAP (so as above I am really wasting 3 points early on.

Edited by Jedi_riches
One question already answered

So, the main tree first, then the side-trees, with the left-over points?

The big levels are 20 and 45. When you hit level 20, you have enough points to get your first big spec-specific ability. After that, level 45 is when you unlock your 'ultimate' ability for your class.

As long as you don't mind respeccing at 20 and 45, you can pretty much take whatever you want. Personally, I like to put all 20 points in the same tree, and then take the talent that gives your mainstat if it's in another tree. You can respec at 45 too. The first respec is free, and it resets after a week. Even if you reach 45 in that week, the cost is super minimal.

After that, you can fill 'em out however you like!

Edited by JeepWithGuy

Pretty much what everyone has said.

As a tank you want to increase damage and threat of your hardest hitting threat builder. For example as Assassin/Shadow tank you want to take talent from Deception/Infiltration tree that gives you 45% chance to get second Shock/Project because it's your most important threat builder.

As dps you generally want to do as much damage as possible so any boost to your hardest hitting abilities is a good thing to have.

Sage/Sorc specific:

+100 force talent from TK/Lightning tree is very useful for any Sage/Sorc at lower levels and especially if you're heal spec'd.

Edited by Halinalle

The first respec is free, and it resets after a week. Even if you reach 45 in that week, the cost is super minimal.

Small correction: if you're a subscriber (and if you're posting here, you must be), ALL respecs are free. You can respec every 3 minutes all day long and it won't cost a dime.

Edited by Fidelicatessen

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone - lots to consider.

I am using an interesting guide for Assassin that takes the character step by step (I was terrified of playing an Assassin, so I did a fair bit of reading), using re-specs and taking advantage of different trees with respecs every now and then. Such flexible approach sounds actually pretty wise, compared to setting up the Lvl 50+ tree and using their rotation on level 21... hmm, something else to work on!

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone - lots to consider.

I am using an interesting guide for Assassin that takes the character step by step (I was terrified of playing an Assassin, so I did a fair bit of reading), using re-specs and taking advantage of different trees with respecs every now and then. Such flexible approach sounds actually pretty wise, compared to setting up the Lvl 50+ tree and using their rotation on level 21... hmm, something else to work on!

Yeah, you can't do that. The earliest you would be able to pull off a 'rotation' for any class is about level 25. That's when a lot of specs start getting the abilities that keep their resource generation at managable levels. Trying to apply a max level guide to anything just doesn't work.

A good rule of thumb is to only take talents in a side tree if they fundamentally alter the spec or provide a needed benefit for leveling. Passive bonuses can generally be ignored since they don't provide a noticable effect until you start to really pile on the gear. (See my example in my last post - two points in pushback resistance for a pyrotech merc is incredibly useful while leveling - at least once you pass level 25 when you actually start using your cast time attack to create accelerator procs)

buy field respec and choose the most usefulpoints in all three trees, respec for abilities when you reach them

Pretty much this. Be careful on what guides you find online as well, come of them are very very very out dated. Some are also designed just for OPs, some for flashpoins, some for warzones, some for dailies, some for leveling. Sometimes you are better off playing around with the points yourself as well. Early levels I tend to spend points in all 3 trees on some classes. Around level 30 the priority shifts, cause you are getting new abilities, and better things in the tabs are going to be available as well.

Seems like a giant pain the the butt, those who do bother to take the time to read the skills, and understand how they would work best in their situations tend to turn out to be much better players in the long run as well. People that just cookie cutter their class barely seem to know how to play it. Just cause it pushes out top numbers for the guy you copied it from doesn't mean it will for you as well....

That's a good thought. I don't think I need a field respect since I don't level up so fast that a Trip to the Fleet is inconvenient. In fact, I need to school myself to go to the Fleet more often.

I did change the Smuggler, but did not try it yet in the game. I didn't change my Mara, because I like the 36% increase in damage on the second saber that slows down the Annihilation tree.

I don't know if I should re-spec the sage either, seeing she is a perma-group character, and we rarely are strapped for Healing right now. It seems that perma-groupping in PvE is very forgiving.

this is a stupid question, but how do you know which tree is your main tree?

Well, you kinda decide what it is you want to do with your character. That affects which is your "main tree"

Sometimes the only way to do that is play with a Skill Calculator and try out various combinations to see what seems like it would be fun. Each tree has a different playstyle.

Usually, it is best to dedicated your skill points to get the capstone ability (it takes 36 points to get there). It is possible to take a "hybrid" approach with different points in different trees and not going all the way to the top in any of them, however.

Edited by Khevar

I do the main tree first, especially if the level 20 and the top tier talents are ones that i really want. I also dont spend my points all willy nilly either. It takes 5 points in any of the previous tiers to progress to the next tier. So i'll spend 5 points in the first tier, but if only 3 points are worth spending in the second tier i'll spend 3 points there and spend 2 points on the first tier and this will unlock the third tier. I wont spend points just to spend them or take talents just to take them, unless there is absolutely nothing else worth spending talent points on in that tree. I'll read the talent description and if it sounds like something that matches my build or playstyle or whatever then i'll take it.

It takes 5 points in any of the previous tiers to progress to the next tier. So i'll spend 5 points in the first tier, but if only 3 points are worth spending in the second tier i'll spend 3 points there and spend 2 points on the first tier and this will unlock the third tier.

Really? hmm . . . Time to do some respeccing.

is there more to this? Does it impact significantly the play on levels 10-22? Should one fill out the main tree first, then invest in the secondary trees?

Levels 10-19: You can't get anything that affects gameplay at these levels. Look at whatever ability in the first or second tier is the most immediately useful to you and take it.

Levels 20-45: At level 20 you can get your first Tier 3 ability, which is usually the first one that has anything to do with the given tree. Between 20 and 45, it's all a race to the top ability of your chosen skill tree.

So at level 20, if you have a key tier 3 ability (say, Kolto Probe for operative), you respec and put all points in your chosen tree. Subscribers have free respec.

Levels 46-55: Fill out the rest of the spec.

For some specs, the first useful ability hangs higher than tier 3, for classes that have hybrid specs the "level 45-46" crossover point will come sooner, like level 35. For instance, Sorc and Sniper would want to go hybrid early. A partial hybrid is generally better than filling out the tree, because tiers 6-7 tend to be lackluster in classes that use hybrids.

Edited by Heal-To-Full