Finding groups for heroics and flashpoints is rediculously HARD

My thoughts:

Played WoW for about 3 years..

Without LFG tool = at first it takes a while to make groups but you actually meet people at your server - your friends list will grow (if you are a friendly person..) and at least you choose who you run the dungeon with. I've met some awesome people this way who I actually went to visit (they live 500km-300miles further) and became real life friends.

With LFG tool = queu might be faster if you are not that social and have go no friendslist..

But when I changed servers I noticed my "friends" were mostly guild members (and some real id friends but I do not share that with everyone).

I prefer the old version and actually socialize with others on my server.

About the whispering? I do NOT find it rude if you whisper me politely. I shall always reply to you (if I'm not away from keyboard ofcourse)

I'm only lvl 20 and I'm sure there are a lot of people who are taking it easy. Leveling crew skills, exploring and running around, doing all quests possible. I have had no troubles doing the first 2 flashpoints or finding people to do Heroic quests.

I agree with others before me, if I see LF3M I usually ignore the call. When I see LF healer I know the people are more aware of the tank-healer-dps setup and I will whisper more quickly.

Conclusion: Looking for Flashpoint tool? Not necessary - many are leveling - come back with your suggestion in 8 months time and we will reevaluate your claim. Build a friends list by helping people and being nice and if you are 50 just wait untill more people reach the level cap.

Oh btw - I'm on Shaltin Tunnels EU - Metisai - Jedi sage = feel free to whisper ;-)

Edited by Poesje

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone tells me that I am bothering them, I will certainly apologize to them and never ask them again. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Most of the time, though, people will respond back that they are, in fact, up for it. Or, if they are AFK/don't feel like responding, they don't say anything. That happens less often though. It's mostly just a question of knowing who to ask. Obviously, it wouldn't make sense to whisper someone who is sitting at Fleet if they want to do a Heroic on Alderaan, right?

....But if you are questing outside a heroic area, and you see a bunch of other people running around there, too....Well, I'll just say that most of them actually seem relieved that someone is asking them if they want to do the stupid thing. Just yesterday I was questing on my new character on Balmorra....Asked for 15 minutes in General if anyone wanted to do X heroic.....No response. I noticed a couple of people around questing in the area and asked them if they wanted to do the heroic, and they said yes. I did a quick /who for the last person, and the first person I asked wanted to do it, too. Voila! 5 minutes later we were ready to go.

Maybe there's an art to it, I dunno. I have had extremely good success with my methods though, and I've even met a few friendly people for my friends list along the way. I mean, I have had people whisper me for help with things, and I never even thought to consider it rude unless they were rude in how they approached me. It's just not that big a deal to me.

Do you also get angry when the person standing in line behind you at the grocery store asks you for the little divider bar to put between your orders? Does it fill you with animal rage when a stranger at a gas station makes a comment about the weather? :p

No, you are doing it exactly as it has been done and has proven to work for many a year.

Most of these people just want an anonymous tool so they can click a button, join, get what they need to get done and bugger off without saying a word.

The fact that they get annoyed by a random whisper speaks volumes about them and I would not want to group with these people.

If a simple question gets them bent could you imagine what would happen if the group wiped or they dies?

I agree with you 100000000%. Finding people to group with consists of screaming in general in the hopes someone reads it. It's insanity. I've been trying to get a FP going for 3 hours. By the time you finally spam enough to find the rare healer or tank, a group member has gotten bored and left. They have got to do something with LFG. It's broken and frustrating. I don't want to reroll but I'm going to have to be a tank or healer to get ANYTHING done. FYI, I'm on a full server.

This has nothing to do with the tool. Adding a LFD tool will not magically create more healers or tanks.

I always play a healer in every game and I would rather solo slowly vs joining a pug to get abused.

For the people who don't understand WHY whispering someone who is not tagged as LFG is rude, let me take you back to the days of early WoW, as a level 60 Priest.

Dramatic Recreation of Chat Log:

[6:00:00] Guild: Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

[6:00:25] Whisper from Random01: Want to heal BRD

[6:01:00] Whisper from Random04: Hey, can you come heal DM Tribute run

[6:01:30] Whisper from Random33: Scholo run?

[6:01:43] Guild: Blah Blah Blah

[6:02:00] General: Blah Blah Blah

[6:02:01] Whisper from Random06: LBRS?

[6:03:00] Whisper from Random08: Want to do Strat Dead?

[6:03:20] Whisper from Random85: Hey could you run me through Maraudon?

[6:03:25] Whisper from Random43: Canz you come heal UBRS?

So yes, it might seem that politely asking someone not tagged as LFG if they want to do something may not SEEM rude, you have to look at it from their point of view. For highly sought after roles like tanks and healers: You are NOT the only one asking them for help. With a large server pop they are getting constant streams of whispers.

I'm on Sanctum too, and it's kind of hit or miss. I play around 9 pm - 11 pm (which is pretty close to prime time) and sometimes it's 5 min to put a group together, sometimes longer than a half hour (at which point I usually have to drop because I no longer have time to complete the FP).

A flashpoint finder that worked similar to warzones would be awesome. All the 'friend making' conversations I have with people occur during the flashpoint, not the match making process. Plus, while it's great to group with good people, sometimes I just want access to the content, and it's worth potentially matching up with people I don't really want to be friends with to do that. Instead of watching general chat or doing whispers to people, it would be great to just automatically be matched up with other people wanting to do the same thing, not worry about it, and spend my short game time on other fun things while waiting.

I have to say though, the people on Sanctum are pretty good. All the groups I've been in have been nice people and more than competent to get through the content.

Many ppl don't know this yet but you can set yourself to LFG (the thing that puts the purple icon next to your name) and even add a LFG comment. Once ppl become more aware of this I think finding groups will be easier. I can't comment on finding a group as an individual because I always make it a point to make a few friends while leveling. That way you can usually get 2 or 3 ppl before even having to search for another.

Whenever looking for an FP below lvl 50, just ask in general chat on the planet you're on. That's usually where you'll find the highest concentration of ppl of similar lvl. If not, try the fleet OR just do /who and whisper ppl. The worst they can do is not answer.

So its no problem that you can queue to pvp from anywhere, but its the devils work and completely doomsday weapon to get a flashpont queue to the game? There are many ppl who come over from other games that they played for a long time and they have seen something convenient and stick to that.. you cant blame them for that. I think too that its a good thing to get something similiarin the game, just a more bioware-ish so to speak.

Ps.: bioware while your at it can, you do something about that frozen UI thing that happens nearly every 5 minutes for me? cant click on my hotkeys nor accept anything.. quite annoying.

I started skipping heroics from tatooine and the following planets, i never found enough people willing to do them and im a healer.

On flashpoints, i ran them exclusively with my guildies, not my choice though, i probably spamed global chat for 2 hours and maybe got 2 groups during my whole 1-50 journey.

Got to 50, did my dailys, got enough gear to start atleast the easiest hard modes, i got yet to experience any, cause being a 50 healer isnt very attractive it seems im even scared to keep spamming general chat, cause people will probably put me on ignore, and just make things worse for me.

btw, Nyll'ene Sawbones healer on Sith Wyrm republic side, let me know if you need heals! lol

Ps.: bioware while your at it can, you do something about that frozen UI thing that happens nearly every 5 minutes for me? cant click on my hotkeys nor accept anything.. quite annoying.

Pls fix this seriously, its horribly frustrating.

Tank: "dude im dying!"

Me: "hold on man, got to ctrl+u twice!"

this bug is gamebreaking.

Edited by Mikeyeli

I think that the Republic Side is harder to find groups only because the Rep side is under populated. Everyone wants to be a badguy...

Yeah youre right, id been seriously thinking about rerolling because of this healing with a bounty hunter looks fun, may check that out, took me 2 weeks to get to 50 anyways, think ill end up doing that.

I'm on the Sanctum of Exalted server(which is often very heavy or full) and ever since level 23 I have not been able to find a single group for heroics or flashpoints. I am level 43 now I doubt I'm that far ahead of everybody cause warzones are loaded full of level 50s.

It has just been the most difficult thing to do is find groups and I can even heal!

Is your server the same way?

Nope, Canderous Ordo or Shien it's fine. I can always find a pick up group. Aren't you in a guild where you can group with buds? If your guild isn't working with you then maybe you are in the wrong one ;-)

hi im 28 been gaming for long time just started playing mmos since later when rift released so people like me where it takes me longer to level and the little tricks u guys know from wow its hard for people like me like my guild their all 50 s now so i just wish their was a flashpoint group finder so i can get all the content im missing most of the game because its such a hassle to get a descent group then u might get 1 or 2 people even with the purple lfg on my name its just such a hassle i just play alone which i wish i had some people my level to play with love this game man just need a group finder button for real .

Well maybe its 'side' maybe its server thing. From what I saw, its pretty easy to get into FPs - granted i do spend some time a day on fleet for crafting reasons, but whenever I feel like running fps (around decent time) someone quickly pops a lfg in general that is around my lvl range. I do not think they last too long either. At 'dead hours' is different story but that is always the case.

Heroics are hit and miss tho. Some are fun, some are built... well, let me say that some Tatooine ones take like 5 minutes to complete, even if it took 5 minutes to fill the group would it be worth the effort? So no, I am not likely to run all across the bloody desert planet just to finish it up, and i believe others are in the same boat. Now that I know what they look like, there is little incentive to do it unless you're grouped already and clearing quests in the zone. If you find me running around said heroic zone soloing and whisper however I am likely to join up.

Overall tbh I am a bit disappointed they have not put more effort into making them longer/more fun. But its just an opinion. Flashpoints were written better (haven't reached the buggy endgame ones yet tho).

As for whisper vs general, I have nothing against whisper (as stated above), as long as it is decent English sentence, if anything you'd get a polite decline as soon as I can answer. General is fine if its not spam every 2 seconds or 2 lines of all caps for no apparent reason (or both), now that's plain annoying. Yes, other people are chatting in general, and no you're not more important than everyone else to yell.

On a slightly different note, game does need DoNotDisturb flag/anon flag of sorts - not playing a healer right now, but it can be a bit annoying if you can't get yourself out of who list while waiting for someone/something.

Edited by DeathDiciple

• 2 months later...

I have played on Sith Side and have relatively little trouble finding a group for HM's when I party with a friend who is a healer, ( I tank) but I have started some new republic characters and the population difference does worry me some. The empire fleet has about 120 people on at peak times on Daragon Trail, sometimes more. The Republic fleet at the same time has around 30 people so it does seem like it will be harder to form a group for hard modes.

I do understand the fear of adding a LFG dungeon finder tool which did eliminate the painful process of finding a group on low pop servers that WOW went with, but it also made the encounters much more trivial. Most of the time you never spoke with the people you were running heroics with so you never built any lasting friendships or associations. I think maybe the LFG Dungeon Finder tool was overall a good idea though with maybe a few improvements. I think having the option for cross server partying in low population servers is a must, but instead of just throwing people together arbitrarily I would suggest some sort of pop up list that lets you see all the players flagged for LFG on every server. Then allow players to invite or whisper those players and then form groups to do HM's. Im not sure how difficult such a system would be to implement but I would prefer it that way. In a sense you allow people the benefit of the Cross Server Population but still give them the freedom to choose who they want for there group instead of being thrown together like WoW did. With such a system I would be able to meet someone from another server and add them to my friends list to form a party next time if I liked having them in my group or on the opposite side, if I hated someone I could choose not to invite them to my group next time.

For the people who don't understand WHY whispering someone who is not tagged as LFG is rude, let me take you back to the days of early WoW, as a level 60 Priest.

So yes, it might seem that politely asking someone not tagged as LFG if they want to do something may not SEEM rude, you have to look at it from their point of view. For highly sought after roles like tanks and healers: You are NOT the only one asking them for help. With a large server pop they are getting constant streams of whispers.

I usually play a healer. Here's my point of view:

No I'm not offended if anyone whispers me politely.

If I feel like doing X or needed to do X, then it's a bonus.

If I didn't, but feel like helping someone out, I will.

If I cannot or don't want to, a simple "sorry not at the moment" is all the response that's needed.

If I am otherwise engaged and too busy to respond then I won't.

But then again... I'm a friendly person.

I don't fly into animal rage at simple requests or communication from other people.