Auto asign of items in normal opperations - How to make it better!

I have an idea that may how been brought up but that I think is a must to be brought in to the game. he system that auto asigns the loot to one "suitable" player in normal opperations is AWFUL for guild runs. Me and my guild is trying to gear up for Hard Mode but I keep getting items that I already have that someone else need.

Here is my idea.

Before the opperation starts the group leader can start a vote. In the vote u can vote either "yes" or "no" on the question "Do you want to use master loot". If everyone votes "yes" (100%) the master loot aplies. If anyone votes no, the same system is kept. This will make it easier for guilds and also dont ruin it for PuGs.

What do you think?

That sounds like a fair and equitable solution, therefor people will be attacking your stance shortly.

Honestly, the more choices/options people have on how to do anything in a game, the better (usually). Give people more options to set loot rules allows more people to play the game the way they would like. More options rarely hurts people's enjoyment of the game. The more people that get to play the game "their way" where "their way" doesn't negatively impact other people's enjoyment of the game, the better.

Really the group leader should just be able to change the looting system to whatever they want. If the group is a pug and a member doesn't like what the loot system is set to they are free to leave or start their own group. This system needs to be fixed ASAP its so horrible. Just the other day I was helping guildies clear regular EV. I am a trooper, I have two pairs of rakata pants 3 pairs of columi pants. The trooper pants drop and they are auto awarded to me instead of the other trooper in the group wearing fresh 50 gear. So freaking stupid... Edited by schwiz

I think what would make it better is to make the tokens it assigns you none class specific, would make it useful if you already had the gear as you could gear up companions.

Also while I'd keep the distribution the same I'd wrap what people had recieved into individual bags as I think this would remove some of the confusion where people see a token they could use going to someone who doesn't need it. People are to use to the items themselves being the source of randomness particularly as its the system used exclusively elsewhere in the game.

Edited by Aestel

I have an idea that may how been brought up but that I think is a must to be brought in to the game. he system that auto asigns the loot to one "suitable" player in normal opperations is AWFUL for guild runs. Me and my guild is trying to gear up for Hard Mode but I keep getting items that I already have that someone else need.

Here is my idea.

Before the opperation starts the group leader can start a vote. In the vote u can vote either "yes" or "no" on the question "Do you want to use master loot". If everyone votes "yes" (100%) the master loot aplies. If anyone votes no, the same system is kept. This will make it easier for guilds and also dont ruin it for PuGs.

What do you think?

The system as is; is not bad. The problem comes in when people think every pc of gear that drops should be usable by the group. No MMo has ever been like this I have ever played. It's ridiculously easy to get geared in this game and adding master loot makes EV one 5 boss loot run. How hard was ICC to get gear in?

If ML is implemented it needs to be with less loot. I was able to be geared for HM runs in one EV and we haven't looked back since out first one.

The solution as presented in another thread:

2 random Tionese off pieces (tier 1.1)

1 Columi token per boss by class

The current Tionese Comms and Crystals

The Weekly Quest would be for a random boss of the first 4 NOT Soa...

One Schematic random drop

Chance for up to two crafting mats

That would gear and comms would be flowing pretty well.

PS Depending on role you only need 3 or pcs of Columi gear to run HMs. I also want to thank the people in here for not nerd raging and trolling either for or against the eOP

Edited by Foenixz

The dumbest part about the auto assigning loot is that at the very LEAST, all they have to do is force normal mode raids to use Need/Greed, and then only allow Need rolls on items for your class. So basically for PUGs, the Need/Greed system is exactly the same as the current system (since let's be honest, everyone will NEED every single item they can, and the system autoassigns each loot), but for guild groups you could purposely pass to the people you want to win

I still prefer just being allowed to use whatever you want, but if Bioware insists on protecting pugs from master loot mayhem, the above idea works perfectly while also working fairly well for non-pugs

Done 3 runs on EV normal and only ever got one item auto assigned to me after three attempts. The other sage healers who are better geared than me im a sage dps by the way all ways get the auto loot.

How is that fair I find also in any HM FP when I roll on a green I win it when I roll on something purple I all ways loose. The loot system is starting to piss me right off.

Done 3 runs on EV normal and only ever got one item auto assigned to me after three attempts. The other sage healers who are better geared than me im a sage dps by the way all ways get the auto loot.

How is that fair I find also in any HM FP when I roll on a green I win it when I roll on something purple I all ways loose. The loot system is starting to piss me right off.

RNG loot roll system has been specifically set up to troll you on purples. Only explanation >_>

I'm not saying this as a knock against anyone.

I believe they had normal modes auto assign loot because it was meant as a pug kind of thing.

If you think of it as LFR in WOW, just with a random loot mechanic as opposed to classes rolling all willy-nilly on loot, it's pretty much the same thing.

Hardmodes and Nightmare Mode were meant for guild runs.

Not to mention the exact same loot, aside from a few pieces, drops from hardmode flashpoints.

The system as is; is not bad. The problem comes in when people think every pc of gear that drops should be usable by the group. No MMo has ever been like this I have ever played. It's ridiculously easy to get geared in this game and adding master loot makes EV one 5 boss loot run. How hard was ICC to get gear in?

If ML is implemented it needs to be with less loot. I was able to be geared for HM runs in one EV and we haven't looked back since out first one.

Actually, I have to disagree to an extent. The problems show themselves in guillds when you need specific toons to get specific items. For instance, we're darn close to starting hard mode operations, but a few of our guys don't have their columni weapons because the same people keep getting assigned the drops.

I don't feel comfortable racing against the Enrage timers on Hardmode with half Columni gear (less main hand weapons). Personally, I think the loot system exists for one reason ... to be a bottle neck for those trying to progress.

The (broken) normal mode operation loot system will go away .... but only when there is more end game content ... enough that BioWare no longer needs the bottle neck to slow down progression through their content.

Edited by Deurg

If you think of it as LFR in WOW, just with a random loot mechanic as opposed to classes rolling all willy-nilly on loot, it's pretty much the same thing.

This is what makes it so inexcusable though. All they had to do was exactly copy the WoW LFR system which forces you to use Need/Greed, and only allows you to Need items for your class. Stays the same for PUGs, and problem is (mostly) solved for guild groups.

They already had the damn answer and all they had to do was copy WoW, but they purposely tried to reinvent the wheel by shaping it as a square

The best way for guilds to gear up new player on normal is to reduce the class, that need the item, to one.

We did it to gear up a sage and a guardian. Rest of the raid were 6 Trooper and Smuggler.

Its not the best, and still way to random. But its a good, fast way to gear the two up. And way faster than to try to get the loot from HM FPs.

I don't think guilds ever were intented to run normal operations, It's just too easy to get through. Normal mode was meant for people to pug, so they could experience the raid without beeing in a guild and get a chance at some decent loot.

The loot system raises some eyesbrows I agree, but the normal mode is just the product of "everyone should be able to experience everything", and not intended for guild raiding.

Whilst the auto-assigning on normal mode is terrible, the main problem I have is that each piece of columi/rakata gear is designated for a specific base class, e.g. consular or smuggler.

That is so much more of a limiting factor than auto-assigning.

LOTRO had best loot assignment imo. Barter items dropped that could be used by any class present (so, you never junked armour unless everyone had it) and the master looter system, need/greed system and roll/pass system were extremely easy to use and never bugged out.

Having items assigned to a class is just another artifical grind, another rng to conquer and its fecking annoying. The devs obviously didn't learn their lesson from WAR which also had terrible loot.

I don't think guilds ever were intented to run normal operations, It's just too easy to get through. Normal mode was meant for people to pug, so they could experience the raid without beeing in a guild and get a chance at some decent loot.

The loot system raises some eyesbrows I agree, but the normal mode is just the product of "everyone should be able to experience everything", and not intended for guild raiding.

Heh, every time I see posters that say this, I LOL.

Lets see -- I am in a large guild, leveled to 50 while grouping with guildies. So, now I want to run an OP. So I say, "Hey guildies, lets get some new 50s together and do an ops -- we don't know the fights, and we have green gear, but lets not do a normal mode ops, that is too EASY (at least, that is what the forum posters say). Lets start out in hard mode ops!!!".

Or alternatively, now that I am 50, I will suddenly start grouping with PUGs for normal mode ops because normal mode ops is too easy and the guild thus does not run them (NOT).

My guild has about six different 8-man ops groups, two of which are currently doing nightmare (my ops group is on HM ops). ALL of them started out in normal mode ops, and all new ops groups will do the same. Why would you use PUGs for them and not guild groups? How do you learn the fights if you are a new 50 unless you want to be carried by a HM ops team?

Of course, normal mode ops is intended for guild raiding (and of course, for PUGs). To say otherwise is mind-boggling.

And to stay on topic, I agree with the original poster, a change to the normal mode ops system is needed.

Next time I am in a Normal mode ops group that is trying to gear somebody, I will use the trick of exiting area before the chest is opened or the boss is downed to avoid being assigned yet another piece of gear that I don't need.

Edited by Thoffs

If they insist on handing out loot that is fine, but at least add some intelligence to it. Simply check what the person is currently wearing by their Rating. If the Rating that they are wearing is greater than the item being dealt mark it as a "Greed" and move on to the next available candidate. That way it goes to the person that "Needs" it versus the person that is just helping the run succeed and the item being sold or rotting in the cargo hold.

OR

At least make it a popup option that the assigned loot can be "Passed" on to the next person.

OR

Simply make it tradable for 10-minutes to anyone that was there for the kill OR when the player leaves the instance (to prevent trading it to an alt).

Here is my idea.

What do you think?

How bout if anyone other than the raid leader votes no they are removed from the group. The master looter, or raid leader, is the one who should be determining how loot is done. Your option, as a pug, is to quit if you don't like it.

Edit: I do agree, however, that the random loot assignment is silly. Particularly when the same people have 5+ extra pieces they don't need and someone is sitting there with tionese. I just don't see the logic in allowing 1 person to screw a group because they don't like how it's being done.

Edited by Niil

I went in there to help some guildmates. I got 4 that I didn't need, but that my guildmates could have used... It's retarded that even master looter auto-assigns loot. Incoming 3,000 item transfer requests. SIGH.