Armor Dyes?

sithterror

They seem to lack understanding what others like and just simply sell (code) what they like. It will hurt in the long run I suppose. I for one wonder where they been the last years given that they do not incorporate basic mmo stuff in general.

New awesome feature in next big patch! Customize your UI... ehrm... ok.

Edited by Dhariq

I agree, this would be really nice. One of the things I really liked about Neverwinter Nights was that you could buy dye kits that would change the color of specific materials to different colors from base to customize your own gear so you could stand out.

Dyes would be really nice. I know several people that have SEVERAL different outfits with some of the same stats because they get bored with looking like everyone else they come across. Maybe one day we'll get lucky and they will implement dyes into the game. *Crosses fingers*

I support this idea as well. As previously mentioned there are quite a few games that have this feature. SWTOR should as well. For those that have posted that it would hurt the economy I just dont see that. If dyes are implemented people would more then likely purchase any armor they like the basic look of then buy the dyes as well to make it what they want color wise. This looks like a win-win for crafters here. They get to sell 2 items instead of one. In fact they will probably sell more dyes than a lot of the other items as their (the customer) changes thier mind on what color of the week/month they want.

• 3 weeks later...

Another idea I just came up with is they could tie it into the current Color Matching System.

The way I see this working would be like this: You can only apply dyes to Chest Armor, but doing so would also affect any armor piece currently linked to that Chest Armor.

It'd make it more user friendly, and tie in with the system they already have in place, so I think it might work.

Anyone else have any opinions on this idea? :D:cool:

How about this: you can dye the chest piece any color you've already unlocked: for example, if a trooper gets a set of red armor, yellow armor, and green armor, he could use any of the three colors, but he could not use orange or blue. If he then got a set of blue armor he could dye any armor set he had blue, ect. What do you think?

Dyes would be awesome thing. Unify just doesn't cut it.

I love colors of the recruit pvp smuggler set. That purple chest is very nice. But battlemaster chest is black and there's no way i can keep that nice purple color as recruit gear is not moddable (and I failed to grind enough comms to get champion chest pre 1.2). So unify won't help me.

Or, for example, that elegant social dress, it is available only in white color for players (which makes it look like a wedding dress >.< And my JK is NOT going to marry Kira!) but NPCs can have this dress in many different colors. i've seen red, blue, green and two-color versions of that dress.

Same is about those dancer outfits. Republican dancer outfit is brownish-red only. I know about pink social II outfit, but NPCs still have one more - white - option.

imperial dancer outfit is black-yellow only while NPCs on Tatooine (imp-side) wears green version of the same outfit.

So why NPCs get more varied stuff that players? And don't get me started on purple crystals in weapons of every Belsavis trash-mob. Rare color my ***!

• 1 month later...

I'm the head of a large Roleplay guild on Jung Ma. Currently we're going through hell trying to mix/ match pieces of social gear (adaptive, our Sorc and Jugs can wear the same outfit) in order to establish a viable guild uniform by rank.

If we could have a system similar to Rift whereby we have a primary and secondary layer, and be able to dye them individually, this would fix a lot of our outfitting issues.

Roleplayers need individuality to compliment their playstyle.

I support this idea.

We could also use a few more headpieces/ chestpieces with hoods, and lower robes in Social gear, but I suppose that's another thread entirely.

Some games have this? ALL other MMOs have it. It's total BS that we can't dye our armor and customize our appearances in this game. It's 2012, not 1998--- oh, wait, even back then, in the very first two mmos, you could do that.

The Unify appearance feature is totally crap. It doesn't even work half the time. I have lots of armor pieces that do NOT change colour at all when I try to unify them. And what is the point of that anyway? Maybe some people would like different coloured pants and tunics. They half-assed and rushed the design on the Unify feature. We should be able to pick which piece we match to, not forced to only unify to the chest piece. What if I like the colour of my pants or boots, and want the chest piece to match them? As in all other Bioware games, there is a depressing lack of colour options for armor. There are way too many armor pieces that are the same colours. This is NWN all over again. Where everybody looks the same, and we almost all look bland and boring. *yawn*

Or how about we just scrap that Unify Colours system altogether and let us dye our armor pieces to the color we want?

Bioware worried about having neon idiots running around? Don't give bright neon colours as a dye option. Simple.

-Lord Cain

Shadow of Kerahl

• 6 months later...
I would love to be able to put my own colors on my armor. As of right now, i have the level 20 bounty hunter PvP armor and it is good armor for my level but i do not like the color. Also, it would be cool to be able to paint your armor blue so i could look like a Mandolorian. I understand that it wouldn't really help the game play in any way, but it would still give a cool option of making your character(s) more unique.

Nice necro! Since this subject is still relevant AFAIK, I would like to suggest that we be able to unlock color schemes that currently exist on many of the chest pieces. This could be through the legacy system or perhaps through some kind of crafting quests or some combination of both. Be nice to see some additional choice though.

I'd like to see a full customization system... one that takes advantage of the full spectrum of color, not just a set of pre-defined hues. Create item mods that affect the saturation of primary colors (+white & black) with a couple more to affect the shine of the armor (who doesn't want to buff or debuff their armor?). Digital color is already based on these components of the light spectrum, so it should fit easily into code. Create an interface to apply these types of mods to the primary or secondary color of the armor (not unlike GW2), throw in a handful of base-color kits for quick-customization, and everyone can get the color/shade they want (ie: not everyone will be painted "black" just because the other available colors look like garbage).