Switching over from WoW, can you suggest a class to me?

mastermaj

I'm a long time WoW player so sorry in advance for any WoW terms/references used as I am unsure of a lot of the terminology right now. I'm looking for a good solo class to casually play in battlegrounds. I do not plan to play in a group at all. Also, please keep in mind I am trying to avoid staying away from classes that need dev attention because they may be severely under powered at the moment, so please do not suggest one of these classes! I'm looking for a solid, well-performing class/spec.

That being said, I am looking for suggestions for which class/spec. Generally, I prefer toe-to-toe combat instead of tactical/ranged style play. I really enjoy being able to take a beating but also apply the same amount of pressure back. I'm not looking for a tank role but more or less a bruiser role. If there are any WoW players around here, my pvp classes have always been arms warrior/ret pally/DK. I generally do not care what faction I am playing unless there is a huge difference with racial bonuses.

It's a pleasure to be playing Star Wars and thank you for reading my post.

I would say you just described a jugger/guardian DPS (they have a tank spec - just don't pick that one :D ). I've read some people say that Mara/sentinel is better, but I think those might have a higher skill cap and not be as new-player friendly. Besides, to me, juggers always seem harder to take down. Maybe that's an illusion created by their double-lives (they have a cooldown that heals them when they are damaged - so invariably, you think you just about have them and BOOM they are back to full health because no one else on your teams knows how to deal with it).

There are no racial bonuses in SWTOR. Races have separate "social" skills, but those have no affect on game play at all. And the two sides are 100% mirrors of each other. So your pick would be which stories and animations and voice-overs you like better. I tend to like the imp stories better because they seem more personal. In the imp stories, it usually about someone trying to screw YOU over specifically, and how you deal with that. While in the pub stories, more of them are "save the world" type stories. Not 100% - but I think it tends to be that way.

Oh, and PvP is cross-faction in SWTOR, so that also makes it not matter which side you pick. And if you want to do PvP, and are north-america based, I'd say go for the Star Forge server - I think you'll get more pops. However, if you try to level via PvP expect lows (0-40) and mids (41-69) to be mostly arenas.

And welcome! :D

Edited by Banderal

I would say you just described a jugger/guardian DPS

This. ^

Juggs are quite self-sustaining in "regs" or typical PVP warzones (WZs). Most who play DPS melee classes say this is the easiest to play and I can say fighting them they are a real annoyance. They can do substantial damage, and the best thing is their defensive cool downs. They get a self heal essentially from enemy attacks, they have decent gap closers with their leaps, and they have nice stuns/knockbacks. I won't go into too much detail it's not a class I played much but that ought to give you an idea what they can do.

If you prefer ranged DPS over melee, then I would suggest a Mercenary or Sorcerer. Both are highly self-sustaining, and both have a fairly easy learning curve. The only "hard" part on Mercs is knowing when and how to use all their different DCDs, they get tons of them. Most people seem to just burn DCDs with little thought and they still do fine due to the class having a really straight forward rotation with really decent melting ability.

Sorcs are extremely mobile, have self portals (phasewalk) that they can use and force speed to get away from enemies making kiting very easy, and have fairly strong healing. Lightning spec is highly mobile and "burst"/AOE damage while Madness is dot spread/AOE. Madness melts stuff better, Lightning relies on it's mobility and high survivability with fairly weak single target damage. Lightning is also a little more complex than Madness, but both are easy enough to learn.

If you like healers, all three specs are fine in regs. Sorc heals is easiest to learn, Merc and Operative are different but both more complex than Sorc heals.

Operative healers use HoTs and it's a quite tedious process imo, but some people love Ops healers. Ops healers can stealth out of combat so they can drop enemy focus, they got a lot of nice CC abilities, and they get a really powerful AE umbrella-type AE heal that heals in a very large area. They are only tedious because you got to stay aware of your HoTs to keep them running constantly on different targets including yourself, and sometimes that can be a challenge when you are getting pummeled.

I like Merc style best personally because it's more challenging than Sorc and the utility tree has a wide range of different utilities to play with. With a Merc healer you can go full mobility if you like to kite, or go full tank mode where you pick defensive based utilities that make you so you don't have to kite and instead just facetank enemies mostly. I always liked to change my style up when I got bored on Merc healers. If you need to keep one player up it's a breeze they got great single target heals though, and if you need to stay alive I find Merc heals the most sturdy individually. The problem on Merc is if you end up needing to heal multiple targets at one time they lack quick instant type heals to keep everyone up, and if you are focused as well as one other target or more, your heals are stand and cast which means you get interrupted a ton making it hard to keep teammates up. I guess I just always liked how tanky Merc heals are. In ranked, they are the worst of the three imo just because they get shut down far easier than the other two healers.

With Sorc heals, the utilities are either total garbage or really awesome, so you don't have a lot of options imo for utilities on Sorc healers to play around with like you do on Merc heals. Sorc healers have strong single target heals that are fairly easy and fast to cast, they get a very easy to use AE heal it just lacks strength. Basically Sorcs are good at everything, just not master of anything.

Edited by Lhancelot

Thank you for the quick replies. Juggernaut sounds amazing! Now that I'm fairly certain Juggernaut is going to be my choice, is there a preferred spec/build to go?

I wish I could explain in detail which is best, Juggs are one of the least played classes for me, it's been years in fact. Someone will undoubtedly answer this though, as the class is highly popular. You could throw this question in the "General" Forum section for higher visibility as more people tend to read that section most. Just ask for suggestions regarding Jugg specs, and which is best for PVP. :p

damage:

vengence juggernaught has a high ramp up time for its damage, which means if you are interupted (stunned, knockbacked, ccd or lose your target) your dps noticably suffers.

rage jugg has incredible uptime, dealing instant 28k and 22k crits.

dcds:

vengence juggs leap has 4 seconds of stun immunity as well as 20% damage reduction for 4 seconds. juggs have a dcd that gives them "fake" hp that wears off, on venge this will additionaly grant 15% damage reduction for it duration. passive 5% damage reduction in class tree as well.

rage jugg gets 10% damage reduction for 6 seconds after using raging burst. (basically on 6-8 sec cooldown)

utility:

venge relies heavily on ravage which can "root" your foe, making it strong on venge. venge also has a 30% foe hp attack that has 20 meters more range than rages and slows the foe for 50%. venge also is 15% foot speed faster than rage.

rage jugg has an ability called "force crush" which desyncs many speed abilitys (its a bug) and really screws players. they also have an autocrit for 24k every 6-8 seconds.they also have 2 gap closers, one is 10 meters the other is 30 meters. and their intercede (friendly player gap closer) will purge any roots or slows.

closer:

rage has more uptime and is very in your face with a lot of damage.

venge has much higher surviability, less uptime, and relies on utilitys to kill its foe.

swtor basics: venge is AoE DoT spec, rage is single target burst, both specs do the same dmg to a single target as long as venge can freecast its rotation.

Edited by Seterade

Go back to WoW is the only advice people should suggest. This game is dead. It has a bad engine, many adressed bugs and missing cross-server are just a few examples that will never be fixed.

It has a cartel market which is the only thing left that is taken care of by eaware .

Play a mara though and find out that this game is inferior in every aspect towards Wow. Good luck in canceling that subscription soon!

I'm not really going to contradict anything people have said about juggs. They are indeed fine for regs. But it's worth pointing out that if you ever venture into solo ranked on a jugg, you will always be focused first (unless there's a powertech or well-known really bad player on your team). Juggs have decent defensive cooldowns, but they have no kiting ability, and they don't have any kind of reset like maras do (ie, stealthing out and healing to full). Edited by JediMasterAlex

Go back to WoW is the only advice people should suggest. This game is dead. It has a bad engine, many adressed bugs and missing cross-server are just a few examples that will never be fixed.

It has a cartel market which is the only thing left that is taken care of by eaware .

Play a mara though and find out that this game is inferior in every aspect towards Wow. Good luck in canceling that subscription soon!

I am wondering why are you here if you don't like the game.... Why waste your time.

No it's not dead at all.

Thank you for the quick replies. Juggernaut sounds amazing! Now that I'm fairly certain Juggernaut is going to be my choice, is there a preferred spec/build to go?

You also could do its "good side" equivalent, but it is common here to exclusively use "bad side" = Imperial Side terms to des cribe classes and abilities. This almost looks as if any "good side" class within the game doesn't exist.

This is especially important for beginners, because´they'll find TONS of advices written for the "bad side" - but almost none at all for the "good side", because everyone here assuimes that everyone - even fresh beginners ! - know that both sides classes are exact mirrors of one another.

Oh, and player-made class guides always appear for the Empire side first.

(Apart from the occational bug, of course. If there is a class bug, then it is most likely to be on the "good side" class, because developers seem to exclusively test the "bad side" class mirror. This really happens, but it is very rare.)

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

You also could do its "good side" equivalent, but it is common here to exclusively use "bad side" = Imperial Side terms to des cribe classes and abilities. This almost looks as if any "good side" class within the game doesn't exist...

Oh, come on Alrik, the very first reply in this thread was...

I would say you just described a jugger/guardian DPS (they have a tank spec - just don't pick that one :D ). I've read some people say that Mara/sentinel is better...

See, both sides mentioned. Of course, that was me. :p And I *did* put the "good" side 2nd. Almost like a 2nd class citizen, right? :p

Although, you are definitely right about guides. Original Poster, if you are looking for guides, you are best off searching for the imp side names of things.

I do not know if you'll be happy tanking in PVP. You should find a healing buddy to run with or at least some friends, because nothing is more lonely than tanking solo (in reg queue).

However, the suggestions about juggs are still good as they're very easy to pick up and have solid, easy to adapt to DCDs.

Mara is the real in-your-face dpser though, and although they have nowhere near the same head-on DCDs that juggs have, they can and are, in fact, designed to leap right into the fray. It just takes more skill to master their DCDs than juggs. That said, they're my pick for melee wrecking ball.

of the other melee classes, it sounds like you're not into stealth (op, sin), but it's worth noting you'll never die if you "roll" op dot spec.

PT dps can be great, but you'll need to roll with a healer or tank friend.

The good thing about jugg is that if you find tanking is boring AF, you can swap to a dps spec w/o rerolling a new toon.

But it's worth pointing out that if you ever venture into solo ranked on a jugg, you will always be focused first (unless there's a powertech or well-known really bad player on your team)

This is correct, BUT:

Jugg is still one of the best classes to get into solo ranked. It's one of the easier classes to not get globalled, so by achieving that you can start to learn the mechanics of the game mode and improve your gameplay. On many other classes beginners just get globalled over and over again and thus get hardstuck in their learning curve, while on classes with a bit more time to react or with the ability to use something while stunned they would start improving. So feel free to get into solo ranked on jugg, even tho your class is not FOTM and you will often be targeted first.

This is correct, BUT:

Jugg is still one of the best classes to get into solo ranked. It's one of the easier classes to not get globalled, so by achieving that you can start to learn the mechanics of the game mode and improve your gameplay. On many other classes beginners just get globalled over and over again and thus get hardstuck in their learning curve, while on classes with a bit more time to react or with the ability to use something while stunned they would start improving. So feel free to get into solo ranked on jugg, even tho your class is not FOTM and you will often be targeted first.

You may have a point, but I don't think I would find it fun being constantly tunneled and dying first in every ranked game. If you play a mara, your dcds are pretty much as good, and you have the ability to stealth out and heal.

You may have a point, but I don't think I would find it fun being constantly tunneled and dying first in every ranked game. If you play a mara, your dcds are pretty much as good, and you have the ability to stealth out and heal.

As someone who does get constantly tunneled, it gets old fast.