Is SWTOR better than WoW?

Spreadpanic

Hmmm, I'd say that both do some things better.

WoW:

1. Crafting

2. More quest mechanics (missions where you go into the Emerald Dream, ride a Dragon or a giant tank).

SWTOR:

1. Voice-Acted mission givers (I despise how in WoW they just hand you instructions, and for the people who don't like this part in SWTOR, there is always spacebar).

2. Endgame content is prevent from becoming obsolete (they've made it so that even HM EV can help you get Oriconian gear, WoW rarely does that for older raids)

For me, I'd love if we got more mission mechanics in SWTOR. My favourite WoW missions always have me jumping into a tank or something and mowing down enemy npcs like a wrathful god. Or the quest Vengeance of Elune where you spam holy meteors from the sky to destroy demons and such. There are some cool missions like that in SWTOR, but these missions are generally Class specific. If the Makeb storylines (Imp/Pub) had more mission mechanics I think they would have been better received.

EDIT: Will add more to the list at some point, too sick right now

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with game development is players ask for something different to wow and when they get it, they complain that its too different to wow and then when another game comes out that is like wow, they moan that its not different enough.

Such is the way of humanity....never satisfied.

WoW has more content, but has been dumbed down to the point where you have more character flexibility in the latest Call of Duty game than you do for your character in WoW

SWTOR has nice character depth, leveling isn't the chore that it is in WoW & a better crafting system. However that said, it is lacking in content comparable to WoW.

I am one of those that actually plays both.

I Love the storyline in Swtor and the combat.

But i Love the awesome scale of WoW (well its had years of development) and it's sense of place + humour.

The invisible wall effect that you get in Swtor compared to the more freeform exploration in WoW is also annoying.

Crafting in both games seems fun enough but PvP in WoW is x10 better.

I'm trying not to put Swtor down here by the way, but the one thing that really wins for me is the smoothness that WoW offers. it all seems far more polished and tweaked.

However, both games have great points.

Better is always a personal choice.

This here.

For me, I play both. I'm not active in wow, but I am 40% sure i'll resub and buy the expansion. I have a 2 month sub (which is 97 days with free month and bonus for referral) and at this point, I plan to buy another 2 month pack.

Comparisons:

End game:

PVP: the same. There is no difference in PVP.

PVE: the same. There are daily hub for gear progression, there are raids of multiple tiers and difficulty levels. Wow is easier, since they have more of a "just queue and collect loot" system in place.

Leveling:

PVP: the same, brackets that use a stupid balancing system

PVE: the same, you have xp boosts in each, the same quests, etc but swtor has the class story that is better

Other stuff:

Events: the same, each game has their monthly stuff.

Bonus things: Wow has pet battles, which I loved. Swtor has starfighter. Both have transmog, wows is a little easier. Swtor has CC, for better or worse.

At the end of the day, the games are very similar. WoW has the 9 years of history and initial model stealing from EQ. Swtor is mostly the same EQ model, add in the story cinematic stuff, and it puts it ahead as well has the universe that is vastly superior to WoW, but wow has the lore that is vastly superior to swtor.

So, to summarize: Play which ever one your friends play.

/giggles at "WoW has a lore that's superior to SWTOR"

I guess its really to each their own...

been playing WoW again, on free trial. just wanted to see some of the new intro zones that I missed, mostly alliance side (back when I subbed, I mainly played horde, and my solitary alliance toon that I didn't delete, was created and leveled back in BC. the ones that i did delete, were created in wrath, so still before cataclysm changes)

I've gotten spoiled by voice acting. now... I don't mind reading quest text, but what makes it very jarring in WoW is that all npc's of particular race/gender have couple of soundbits. that they say every time you click on them. regardless of why you click on them. so hearing calm voice going "get gabbing or get going" juxtaposed with urgent music and text telling me that I must defend the civilians from this vicious attack, and that we cannot hold out for much longer!? yeah....

better is definitely a subjective thing. and to be honest, I also prefer the way SWTOR handles gear, becasue not only can I wear the same outfit from about lvl 10 and up without having to transmog it... over and over unless I'm using account bound gear, but even then - its neither adoptive armor, nor does it have flexible stats so I would have to buy a new set for each class that uses different mainstat/armor rating, although I give it that = account bound gear levels with your character. so pick which benefit you like better

not only do I get color matching (while WoW doesn't) and dye (as sparse as the dye system is, compared to other games, at least its actualy here) but in many ways, min maxing stats is more... friendly after a fashion, or at least more flexible. itemization can be awful in both games sometimes, but at least in tor, I can cherry pick mods and create exactly what I want, while in WoW I have reforging where I can substitute one secondary stat for another secondary stat... partially. and i believe they are removing that system in expansion.

what you prefer is very much individual thing. I honestly cannot say that one game is objectively better than the other. WoW is more popular, has been around longer and has bigger subscription base.

I still prefer SWTOR. in fact, playing WoW reminds me just how much. but I can make that judgement call not from listening to other people's options, but rather playing both games myself and making up my own mind.

The skill trees in WoW are much better than in SWTOR, even thought they are simpler. In SWTOR, theres one spec thats the best, with some slight variations around that. You're pretty much locked. In WoW, atleast for the classes I play, the different talents are more situational and personal prefrence.

WoW > SWTOR. And thats coming from a hardcore SWTOR-fan.

pretty damn sure its the other way around.

we can have 3 snipers in a progression ops, playing 3 different specs and not even covering all the possible specs - and all of them would be performing very well. hell I've seen tanks experimenting with their specs and talents and itemization, situationaly. the only role that doesn't have as much wiggle room - is a healer, mainly becasue you kinda really need that top tier ability. I've healed without it, but mostly because I like leveling as a hybrid a lot. ups my survivability AND gives me more damage. no such thing as hybrid in WoW anymore.

in WoW not only majority of your abilities are picked for you - those 5 that you get to pick out yourself? there are couple of classes where they have a personal preference choice, but for everyone else? there's a "best" ability in every tier and if you pick anything else? you are gimping yourself AND your group. and its the same with major glyphs (minor glyphs have more wiggle room, but not by much) for reference, I played everything but warrior in variety of roles.

Edited by Jeweledleah

I play and enjoy both WoW and SWTOR. I've played WoW since release and was in SWTOR from pre-release.

If I had to pick just one to play it would be WoW. Fortunately my only restriction is the time I have to play so I can play both when I choose.

Game Play:

I prefer WoW for both PvE and PvP I find WoW more challenging with a better combat system, fewer issues and greater variety. There are lots of things to do no matter how casual or hard-core you are. The current talent system in WoW is, IMO, superior to the old WoW and to the one in SWTOR. The variety in the old WoW talent system that some people miss was an illusion. There were two or three standard builds that had been min/maxed by theorycrafters and you followed those or your under performed, period. Now there are half a dozen variations that you can actually change on the fly (between fights) that all provide different advantages.

Leveling:

SWTOR has one of the best leveling experiences with the class stories. I like the leveling experience in WoW but SWTOR is superior in that regard.

Lore:

I've seen all the Star Wars films, as an adult, when they were released and a couple of times since (yes I'm that old). But I'm not a "Fan". I've also played all the Warcraft games. To me the WoW has an edge in lore, but then I've even read some of the Warcraft novels and have never looked at anything Star Wars except the movies until this game. Oh and the Pandarin are in the Warcraft lore and Pandaria is one of my favorite expansions to date.

Overall:

I'll play both so long has I'm having fun, but, for me, I'd give a pretty big edge to WoW. I still play SWTOR very casually for a change of pace.

Edited by Erasimus

I had this long rant replaying and refuting Erasmus's points and then I realized - most of it is still subjective (and no, you cannot compare lore if you don't know much about one of the lores you are comparing, and not interested in finding out more)

so I'll just keep one part in. up until second part of Wrath - don't remember which patch it was exactly, I just remember going to the target dummies with bunch of other players and just kinda sharing in shock and disbelief. before that patch you COULD successfully play as a hybrid. and even if you dps dropped, your utility went up, so there was still a spot for you on a raid team. nowadays? contrary to your claim, there are still minmaxed specs. but now they deal with 5 tiers of abilities instead of a full tree, as well as glyphs. pick something other than what's recommended? and you gimp yourself and your group. it did make it a little bit more new player friendly, since there's no longer any confusion in how to spec, or what trees to pick (and they started on that path back in Cata, that's where flexibility died. pandaria just finalized it)

there are multiple useful specs possible in SWTOR up to and including different specs working best for different boss fights. hell the other week, I've seen a hybrid tank. and damn if he wasn't kicking *** (and was still pretty decent to heal)

what you prefer, what you find more fun? is subjective. but saying that WoW is objectively better? I don't know about that, dude....

Swtor is mostly the same EQ model, add in the story cinematic stuff, and it puts it ahead as well has the universe that is vastly superior to WoW, but wow has the lore that is vastly superior to swtor.

Did you just say that WoW's lore is better than Star Wars lore?

Because SW:TOR's lore is the star wars lore...

I had this long rant replaying and refuting Erasmus's points and then I realized - most of it is still subjective (and no, you cannot compare lore if you don't know much about one of the lores you are comparing, and not interested in finding out more)

so I'll just keep one part in. up until second part of Wrath - don't remember which patch it was exactly, I just remember going to the target dummies with bunch of other players and just kinda sharing in shock and disbelief. before that patch you COULD successfully play as a hybrid. and even if you dps dropped, your utility went up, so there was still a spot for you on a raid team. nowadays? contrary to your claim, there are still minmaxed specs. but now they deal with 5 tiers of abilities instead of a full tree, as well as glyphs. pick something other than what's recommended? and you gimp yourself and your group. it did make it a little bit more new player friendly, since there's no longer any confusion in how to spec, or what trees to pick (and they started on that path back in Cata, that's where flexibility died. pandaria just finalized it)

there are multiple useful specs possible in SWTOR up to and including different specs working best for different boss fights. hell the other week, I've seen a hybrid tank. and damn if he wasn't kicking *** (and was still pretty decent to heal)

what you prefer, what you find more fun? is subjective. but saying that WoW is objectively better? I don't know about that, dude....

Well of course everything in this thread is subjective unless we decide to use objective measures and there are very few of those, like number of subscribers, profitability, etc. And none of the objective measures are going to change how most people "feel" about a game.

My original main in WoW was a NE Priest then I switched to a Warlock.

I remember hybrid specs, but I also remember that Blizzard actively crushed successful hybrid specs whenever they became popular. I'm remembering the Warlock drain tank. It was pretty funny being able to take on pretty much any class with that hybrid build in PvP and just DoT and dain life until they died. No so much fun for melee classes I guess :D

I also used the hybrid shadow/fire spec at the beginning of Wrath, but that spec too was crushed by Blizzard pretty quickly.

Lots of subjectives in any game. Take graphics, I like WoW's art style. There is another major graphics update coming with WoD and many are viewing it with some suspicion and hoping it doesn't change the look/feel of their character too extensively. (P.S. I also like not having to watch the grass grow as I toddle along like it does in SWTOR :))

Variable weather, liquid effects, etc. are something I've become used to in WoW and don't even notice until I go to a game that doesn't have them like SWTOR.

However, I do like the class stories in SWTOR, although I understand that is over now. There are other things were I like the concepts of (like PvP) but feel there are still too many flaws that make it something I only do from time to time. (Note: 8 Death matches and 5 Huttballs, out of 15 matches is, to me, rather discouraging and that happened to me the other night. Especially since I refuse to play PuG 4 person death matches, probably because I'm a mediocre PvP'er.)

Encounter mechanics for raids/operations is something I didn't mention in my other post. Mostly because I found the OPs and flash points I did originally in SWTOR to be less than challenging and the mechanics uninteresting. Perhaps I'll try some of the current content and see if I feel differently. Now I've done almost all the current content in WoW and the Blizzard folks, in my opinion, still have some of the best encounter designers in the business.

But the bottom line, as someone else said, is fun. If you still find a game entertaining wether it is Hello Kitty, SWTOR, or WoW then play it because that is all that really matters.

One additional note (I'm looking for reasons to not start working again but guess I'll have to after this :p)

Addons -

I think Bio/Ea is missing the boat by not allowing at least UI customization add ons. I know that add ons in general and specifically UI customization add ons are part of what keeps a game as old as WoW fresh. Every now and then I give the game a whole new look and feel just by using add ons. I especially like the add ons I use that let me customize how I display cool downs, etc. Oh well, back to work.

(P.S. I haven't mentioned GSF because I only tried it briefly and immediately destroyed all my "free" GSF stuff to make room. GSF like many FPS and Flight type sims make me nauseous so any opinions I'd have about that are really skewed :rak_03:)

Edited by Erasimus

actualy lack of addons is in my book a huge bonus, rather than a negative.

when i started playing on my free account in WoW... I lasted exactly an hour before i had to start downloading the damn things becasue, without - my UI is awful and i cannot change the bars around, i vendor trash without doing it individually searching its piece in my bags... and that's under level 10. I'm going to need more addons later on and there are certainly addons that I won't be able to avoid if I ever resubscribe (which I might, to check out warlords), becasue stock UI doesn't provide that functionality, like it does in SWTOR.

why? becasue Blizzard couldn't be bothered, when addons pick up the slack - changes they do implement take them several years. and then... then patches will happen. next major content patch and i hope and pray that addons I use are still being updated, becasue otherwise, they are broken and my UI etc is back to awful, while I frantically search for replacement. I've been playing since BC. I've gone through that cycle many a time. i love single player addons, but WoW? wow taught me to despise addons in mmos.

and you cannot avoid them. if you want to be even remotely competitive, you HAVE to have them, becasue the game is now designed AROUND you having them. i disagree with encounters in WoW dungeons being subjectively better. they just have more stuff going on and they need to, seeing as raiders - even LFR raiders tend to use dbm. hell, you couldn't even get into a pug OR a guild raid without dbm. not the one that was capable of clearing the content. so Blizzard designs for eventual existence of DBM cues - cluttering up the encounters with mechanics, you don't really need to think about, becasue dbm will tell you exactly when to move, when to interrupt, when to cleanse. and LFR? removes half of those mechanics anyway.

I love raiding in TOR. and I raided heavily in WoW up until Cataclysm. I also tried some of the raids in Cata, but I was more of a dirty casual at that point, only played like 3 months out of entire expansion. pandaria, I only tried Mogushan Vaults outside of the LFR (which is a roflstomp and barely counts). it wasn't anything ground breaking. fun, but NOT significantly better designed than anything I tried in TOR. I'd place them about even.

yes, WoW looks pretty. but so does TOR. different aesthetic, but that's like comparing different art styles and deciding which one is better. you can't. becasue its 100% subjective. yes WoW has weather. never paid attention to it being variable, vs TOR's static weather patterns. its just.. there :/

WoW is a good game. but I kinda giggle when you say its more challenging then TOR. I'd say normal, not lfr raiding is about even between both games in terms of challenge level and leveling? even without boa gear its...nice way of putting it, would be extremely accessible in WoW. bluntly put? so easy, you can do it in your sleep.

and yes, I'm still sad that they removed class specific quests. they could be a pita at times, but they were what made classes feel unique, and they were interesting. not on a level of TOR's personal story interesting, but damn close.

edited to add... and I ended up typing up some of that rant after all. on GSF though... did you say you destroyed the gear? as in... free, bind on legacy gear you could have used on companions, alts, whatever, to transfer mods and all that jazz... and you destroyed it? even though cargo space is pretty cheap if you buy cartel coin version of GTN? O_O

Edited by Jeweledleah

actualy lack of addons is in my book a huge bonus, rather than a negative.

when i started playing on my free account in WoW... I lasted exactly an hour before i had to start downloading the damn things becasue, without - my UI is awful and i cannot change the bars around, i vendor trash without doing it individually searching its piece in my bags... and that's under level 10. I'm going to need more addons later on and there are certainly addons that I won't be able to avoid if I ever resubscribe (which I might, to check out warlords), becasue stock UI doesn't provide that functionality, like it does in SWTOR.

why? becasue Blizzard couldn't be bothered, when addons pick up the slack - changes they do implement take them several years. and then... then patches will happen. next major content patch and i hope and pray that addons I use are still being updated, becasue otherwise, they are broken and my UI etc is back to awful, while I frantically search for replacement. I've been playing since BC. I've gone through that cycle many a time. i love single player addons, but WoW? wow taught me to despise addons in mmos.

and you cannot avoid them. if you want to be even remotely competitive, you HAVE to have them, becasue the game is now designed AROUND you having them. i disagree with encounters in WoW dungeons being subjectively better. they just have more stuff going on and they need to, seeing as raiders - even LFR raiders tend to use dbm. hell, you couldn't even get into a pug OR a guild raid without dbm. not the one that was capable of clearing the content. so Blizzard designs for eventual existence of DBM cues - cluttering up the encounters with mechanics, you don't really need to think about, becasue dbm will tell you exactly when to move, when to interrupt, when to cleanse. and LFR? removes half of those mechanics anyway.

I love raiding in TOR. and I raided heavily in WoW up until Cataclysm. I also tried some of the raids in Cata, but I was more of a dirty casual at that point, only played like 3 months out of entire expansion. pandaria, I only tried Mogushan Vaults outside of the LFR (which is a roflstomp and barely counts). it wasn't anything ground breaking. fun, but NOT significantly better designed than anything I tried in TOR. I'd place them about even.

yes, WoW looks pretty. but so does TOR. different aesthetic, but that's like comparing different art styles and deciding which one is better. you can't. becasue its 100% subjective. yes WoW has weather. never paid attention to it being variable, vs TOR's static weather patterns. its just.. there :/

WoW is a good game. but I kinda giggle when you say its more challenging then TOR. I'd say normal, not lfr raiding is about even between both games in terms of challenge level and leveling? even without boa gear its...nice way of putting it, would be extremely accessible in WoW. bluntly put? so easy, you can do it in your sleep.

and yes, I'm still sad that they removed class specific quests. they could be a pita at times, but they were what made classes feel unique, and they were interesting. not on a level of TOR's personal story interesting, but damn close.

edited to add... and I ended up typing up some of that rant after all. on GSF though... did you say you destroyed the gear? as in... free, bind on legacy gear you could have used on companions, alts, whatever, to transfer mods and all that jazz... and you destroyed it? even though cargo space is pretty cheap if you buy cartel coin version of GTN? O_O

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the difficulty. I've seen nothing approaching Heroic mode Raid and challenge mode dungeons in SWTOR.

The GSF Gear, well I didn't like the way it looked and it was taking up space so, down the tubes it went :) If I could have given it away, or better yet sold it, I would have. I did load all of the titles on my characters. Kind of ironic since only one ever did a GSF match :p

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the difficulty. I've seen nothing approaching Heroic mode Raid and challenge mode dungeons in SWTOR.

The GSF Gear, well I didn't like the way it looked and it was taking up space so, down the tubes it went :) If I could have given it away, or better yet sold it, I would have. I did load all of the titles on my characters. Kind of ironic since only one ever did a GSF match :p

try any nightmare modes? even EC nightmare at lvl 55 is still a major major challenge to complete. especially under 2 hours. I'll give WoW their challenge mode dungeons, TOR doesn't have an equivalent, though lost Island pre nerf and pre Makeb was up there. hell people wipe in it, post nerf at 55.

as for GSF gear, i kept it unopened on most of my characters, but just in case. and since cargo hold space is vastly superior to WoW's personal banks (this by the way is NOT subjective, since in WoW you are limited in size by personal bags, and even the biggest available bag that tends to cost a fortune, still holds less than standard cargo hold bay) - its not like it was making it impossible to store anything else, so... I like having extra sets of moddable gear that can be used on companions or whatever, and they certainly make mod transfers between characters easier.

I loaded up the titles and paint job as well :p and I don't play GSF either. (but I gave up on pet battles very quickly as well, they started to feel like a soul crushing grind at the time when my team reached lvl 6ish? not even being able to get more vanity pets in higher level zones was enough to entice me to continue. so... to each their own again, I know of some people who LOVE pet battles and several of my guildies can be found playing GSF daily, theorycrafting best builds, etc)

try any nightmare modes? even EC nightmare at lvl 55 is still a major major challenge to complete. especially under 2 hours. I'll give WoW their challenge mode dungeons, TOR doesn't have an equivalent, though lost Island pre nerf and pre Makeb was up there. hell people wipe in it, post nerf at 55.

as for GSF gear, i kept it unopened on most of my characters, but just in case. and since cargo hold space is vastly superior to WoW's personal banks (this by the way is NOT subjective, since in WoW you are limited in size by personal bags, and even the biggest available bag that tends to cost a fortune, still holds less than standard cargo hold bay) - its not like it was making it impossible to store anything else, so... I like having extra sets of moddable gear that can be used on companions or whatever, and they certainly make mod transfers between characters easier.

I loaded up the titles and paint job as well :p and I don't play GSF either. (but I gave up on pet battles very quickly as well, they started to feel like a soul crushing grind at the time when my team reached lvl 6ish? not even being able to get more vanity pets in higher level zones was enough to entice me to continue. so... to each their own again, I know of some people who LOVE pet battles and several of my guildies can be found playing GSF daily, theorycrafting best builds, etc)

Well, bank space isn't an issue for me in WoW. I have my "bankers" one Alliance and one Horde with their own guilds and guild banks. Just takes a couple of people to roll a temporary alt to sign the register :D I put a lot stuff I don't know if I'll ever want into "Void" storage also.

I'm sure that at least 75% of you have played both. Which is better in 3 sentences or less? I'm playing both currently but considering dropping one of the subs and can't decide.

WoW beats Swtor in story and character depth as even for casual players you cant help but be absorbed and effected by the characters, from race leaders to other characters regardless of faction.

For Icon gameplay and making an impact Swtor is better because wether you are loyal to your faction or just blowing through you leave a lot in your wake, be it good or bad, the hero of the hour or the one that gets things done in the shadows.

As far as gameplay and mechanics - its a tough one. Swtor is more fun but lacks the depth or random things to do as WoW.

I probably used more than 3 sentences but the above was an honest comparison of the two.

You won't find much MMOs that don't get compared to WoW.

Better is always a personal choice.

What are your favorite reasons for playing either MMO? We might be able to help you make a pros cons list from that.

Good question.

For playing WoW it was a race choice for me.

Before creating an account I was pondering for years on if I should join.

With the release of Cataclysm and the Worgen race I joined because the race was fun to play.

Game mechanics and rotations is just something you pick up as you play the game.

For playing Swtor though tricky to describe its "your place in the galaxy" regardless of faction chosen you're given the freedom to be the person you want to be.

Its more than light and dark but things like pursuing your own agendas or service to your faction.

Swtor feels a lot like a new saga unfolding another legend being told.

Overall for me SWTOR is clearly better.

- the story quests are vastly superior to WoW's levelling experience

- stock UI is much better

- devs so far did an excellent job avoiding mudflation, both regarding currency and char stats

- lack of rampant botting

- the community is mostly mature and civil, random matchmaking in WoW produces an incredible amount of what seem to be rabid 13 year old school dropouts on acid

WoW is more responsive, the world is almost seamless without a plethora of loading screens, and the main cities as hubs feel more organic and immersive than the fleet.

I'm currently subscribed to both. changing them on by monthly basis. WoW is keeping me playing only because I'm in one of those top guilds. ToR is more fun, more RP in every way, the game engine sux, but if you can get by it, ToR is really great game. WoW works fine but its getting raped with every new patch by the developers. The story of ToR is pure and meaningful, the story of WoW is repetitive and abused like the new Star Trek movies. Time travel all around. Lame.

I'm in the same boat. I enjoy both games. Honestly though, if they had come out at the same time, I think ToR would have come out on top.

If you like both equally, then perhaps the deciding factor might be that SWTOR isn't wizards and elves? I've never played WoW myself, non the less I'm still plenty sick of wizards and elves.

:p:p lol. some of the sorcerer/sage outfits come very close to Wizards/Magicians :p:p

I'm sorry, I mean it in the game play point of view, the lore is better. Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game. SWTOR, it is not. I never played KOTOR, so for me, I don't see Han Solo or Obi-Wan or Jar Jar. I just see people called Darth and speeders and randomly named people.

I ran into the same problem with WoW that I had with EvE and Galaxies - I felt no investment in my characters. It felt so meaningless going from place to place grinding... stuff to get better stuff. I realize that that is the very PURPOSE of an MMO but I don't seem to notice it here... or maybe I actually WANT what it is I'm grinding for! In TOR I have over EIGHT alts :D I want to experience every different quest and every different story and every different playstyle - I usually manage to hit lvl 55 BEFORE I get to Makeb just by TRYING everything with my INSATIABLE curiosity and incredible desire to just see EVERYTHING :p only one other game has come close and that was Star Trek Online - but even then it's only three alts across three different factions. I feel no desire to spread myself out across one of every class/species/spec like I do here... there's something special about this game

This is the ONLY game where I have actually ENJOYED the straight-forward crafting system. This is the only game where I've actively joined a guild despite my limited time - when I am on I regularly try to help my fellow guildies and I donate to the guild bank ALL THE TIME. Here I care because this game makes me want to care - this community makes me want to care... well, some of it anyway - a lot of the community on this forum makes me sick :p and the whining in the cbox in the game... ugh... but there ARE good people here and this is a good game, so I'll stick here

As for f2p = failure it seems to me that almost every MMO save WoW has failed then because just about everyone is f2p now - hell, at least three mmo's in production that I know of are going to be marketed as f2p and there are even rumors that TES will launch f2p at start. The market isn't there to support subscription alone anymore - f2p and cash stores are where the money is now. People don't count their pennies so much when they want awesome armor/mounts/weapons but they sure count when content has been dry and that bill for 15 bucks a month shows up :rolleyes:

Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game.

You're wrong. WC1-3 lore (95% of it), novels and comics, even "Expanded Universe" thing on their website - none of that stuff you can see in-game.

And WoW lore is Warcraft lore. To me, both of them are pretty mediocre, but if you compare them to each other, they are more or less even.

Edited by Trollokdamus

I am here for the starwars so for me it's SWTOR

That being said, I tried WoW a few times and it offered a lot of cool stuff and seemed like a fun game, it's a bit too cartoonish for me and the character models for humans are pretty ugly, but it's based off the warcraft games and that was the way warcraft looked.

I am not an elves and fairies type of guy, but if I did not care either way and was just looking at gameplay alone then maybe I would go with WoW.