Iresso's dilema

Magdalane

Ok I know the story line isn't to everyone's liking, but you never see fan fiction about the consular. I am not a writer by any means, but I hope it's enjoyable for someone.

Another cold, windy day on Hoth, thought Lt. Iresso. Just another day in paradise. He sighed, wishing he was back ……anywhere, really. He looked across the room at the gathered troops there, milling around and wondering if there would ever be any sun on this frozen hell. He hated to tell them this is as good as it gets around here. As if the cold weren’t enough to deal with, he’d just received word that a Jedi master was on her way to talk to him. What use could she possibly be here? Probably the council just sent someone on a diplomatic goose chase, he thought.

He heard the elevator descending, and glanced around to make sure there wasn’t anything amiss in the briefing room, then turned just as the Jedi and her bodyguard made their way through the door. At first glance, he saw exactly what he expected to see—typical brown hooded robe, hands hidden in her sleeves, lightsaber hilt on her belt. The Transdoshan stopped her with an outstretched arm, and made a cursory sweep around the room before nodding and following her. When she was a few steps from him, she stopped but kept her gaze down.

“Lieutenant, my name is Magdalane Chantalle. I am with the Jedi order, and have been sent to assist you and your troops,” she stated in a soothing voice.

He barely heard her speak, as he was preoccupied with the feeling of warmth and calm she radiated over him. He’d been around Jedi before, but this was the first time he’d actually felt the air around him change. He could see a golden glow around her body, and had to stop himself from reaching out to touch her. He glanced quickly at his troops, and saw that they were staring at her as well.

“Welcome, Master Jedi. I hope you have had a chance to secure quarters here, I believe the shuttle service has been suspended due to weather,” he stated, wishing she would look up so that he could see her face. He led her over to the desk, and motioned her to sit.

“We require little, Lieutenant. Qyzen, I’m sure I’ll be perfectly safe here. Go and make arrangements for us,” she said, and Iresso noted a smile in her voice. “I know weather conditions are harsh here, does it affect the missions?” she asked.

He sighed, “More often than not, Master Jedi. I’ve just sent a recon unit out to scout for Imperial activity, but with this ice falling, we may not get any communications through. We also have two units doing repairs to the heating. These troops have been briefed and are on their way to replace forward units.” He nodded to the team leader and the room emptied, all of the men casting appreciative glances at the Jedi seated across from him.

When the troops were gone, and the room was empty save the two of them, Magdalane finally lifted her head to look at him. When she lowered her hood, and the full force of those emerald green eyes hit his, he felt it like a punch to the gut. Her silver hair shone in the glow around her, and thought that maybe the cold had finally gotten to him, and he was seeing some sort of vision. His heart beat hard and he realized he was holding his breath. Is this some kind of Jedi mind trick? he thought. He couldn’t look away no matter how hard he tried to break the eye contact.

Magdalane spoke softly, with a slight smile, “I am looking forward to working with you, Felix Iresso. I will go now. You can contact me by holo if something comes up sooner than the morning.” She held her gloved hand out to him, and he managed to find his wits enough to shake it. He felt the longing to touch her again grow with every step she took away. When she entered the elevator, he sank into his chair in a daze. Oh damn, Felix, you’re in trouble for sure now, he thought. He sat there for a good time, thinking about the events of this morning and wondering how he could have fallen so quickly and surely, and how to get over this. Jedi didn’t have relationships, right? He put his head down on his desk and tried to get those green eyes out of his mind.

Edited by Magdalane

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, finally a story on Iresso. Great writing, would love for more!

I actually enjoyed his calm personality and their somewhat awkward but cute romance. Zenith would be a great romance choice too, but I can't stand that self-centered Tharan.

Magdalane walked slowly along the frigid path toward Aurek Base, refusing to think about anything but just getting out of the stinging ice falling. Her Jedi training allowed her to compartmentalize her thoughts, but her feelings were a different matter. She was thoroughly confused. The troops she saw in the briefing room exuded a mixture of fear and bravado, typical of men being sent out into unknown situations. What bothered her about them was the slight scent of mistrust she sensed, and she wasn’t sure if it was directed at her as an outsider. It almost seemed as if they didn’t trust the lieutenant. That doesn’t make sense, she thought. He’d been in charge of these men for months, and she’d sensed no such mistrust in the officer. She did notice his wariness of her, but there was something else mixed in there, something she didn’t often encounter. Just wearing this robe and carrying this lightsaber usually dissuaded such thoughts, since the general public knew very little of the Jedi culture and tended to be wary or simply ignored her.

Qyzen had found them quarters, and she went about getting settled in and contacting her ship for some warmer clothing to be sent down. They met for a meal down in the mess hall, and Magdalane felt some of the same things in the troops here that she’d sensed in the briefing room. She knew that the general living conditions here were austere and might be a factor in their general low morale. The food was passable, but she’d had more appealing field rations than the fare here. That would go in her final report, she thought. She wore her hood up, as she usually did when in public, so she didn’t see the lieutenant enter the hall, rather she felt the change he brought in the room.

Felix didn’t have to look around to know she was here. The men were all sneaking glances and commenting about the Jedi being here, what did she think she could do here, why would anyone want to be a Jedi. He’d spent the day just trying to get his thoughts going in one direction, only to be distracted by wondering some of those same things himself. The crew working on the heating units had returned and he’d sent two to the medbay with frostbite. The other men had all returned early, the ice making any travel treacherous. He wondered if the next day would be any more productive, and felt weary just thinking about it.

He took his tray over to an empty table and discovered he was in direct sight of her. He told himself he could not look at her, could just have his meal and then go, but he knew that he was lying. Instead, he walked to her and her companion and sat, greeting them. He again felt her calm, and his weariness lifted. How can she make me feel better just sitting here? He didn’t know how, but he knew he was intrigued by it. They made small talk, about the quarters, the weather, the returning troops. Then she said something that made his jaw drop.

“You know, Lieutenant, you can ask me about being a Jedi, or about the Force. I will try to help you understand”

He just stared at her, not able to form the question he wanted to ask. He began to stammer out his query, when his holo beeped. Two of his men had been attacked just outside the perimeter, and he was needed at medbay. He jumped up to leave, and was almost to the elevator when he realized Magdalane was at his heels. He didn’t stop, but pulled her onto the elevator and they rushed to see how badly the men were injured.

The first casualty they saw was being treated for minor injuries, but the second was in very bad shape, having been blasted by what looked like an assault cannon several times. The medic on duty was doing all she could, but the kolto tank had partially frozen and the staff there were frantically trying to warm it into service.

Magdalane took over. She stood in front of the injured man and clasped her hands in front of her, almost in prayer. Her hood was down and the glow she always carried intensified until Felix and the others in the room had to look away. It gradually diminished and the injured man started to regain consciousness, albeit slowly.

Magdalane smiled at him, then started to sink toward the floor herself. A healing of that magnitude sapped her strength for a time. Felix and Qyzen caught her and helped her to a chair. She smiled at Felix, a true smile that reached her eyes and caught him in its light.

“That’s what I do, how I use the Force. “ He nodded, unable to speak.

Woo more goodness!

"The men were all sneaking glances and commenting about the Jedi being here, what did she think she could do here, why would anyone want to be a Jedi. " Is it normal for the ordinary republic citizens to be wary of Jedi? I thought Jedi are respected, if not revered.

Edited by Lynlloyd

When I was writing this, I was trying to put myself in the shoes of the average trooper, who does thankless work day after day, and how they might view this woman who appeared to "help" them, not to mention the general morale and bleakness of Hoth. No offense was intended.

Seven weeks, he thought. Seven weeks I’ve seen her every single day. And now that her objective is complete, she’s moving on to her next assignment. He sighed, wishing he could make time stop until he could say the words he wanted to say to her. He’d never known himself to be at a loss for direction before, but he really had no idea what he might do on Hoth now. He wondered where he’d be sent next. It always seemed to be another unit that just needed a blaster and a warm body. He would have to prove himself all over again. His entire career had changed in just one incident, and he didn’t think it would ever recover. If he knew how to do anything but be a soldier, he’d just resign his commission. As it was, he figured he’d just have to keep moving forward.

He walked from his quarters to the main briefing room, his thoughts all over the place, but eventually came back to Magdalane. Over the time that she had been on Hoth, he’d seen her do some of everything- she could swing her purple lightsaber in a deadly dance, use the Force to throw objects several times her own mass into enemies, and perform healing that he hadn’t known was possible. And, he thought, she was genuinely nice—to everyone! Even working with the Imperials against a pirate faction, she was unfailingly courteous. She’d won over everyone at the base with her quick humor and smile.

This place is miserable, but it will become unbearable without her, he thought. When he arrived at his desk, he saw a message there: the Aurek Base Commander had requested his presence. Lovely, he thought, and I’m really not in the mood to pack again. He slowly made his way over to the Commander’s office, and knocked at the door. When it opened, he was sure the Commander had said something to him, but the only thing he knew was that Magdalane stood at the window, and she turned as he entered and smiled.

“Lieutenant? Lieutenant Iresso?” the Commander said.

“Oh sorry, sir, yes sir, Iresso reporting as requested”

“ I wanted to commend you for all the progress you’ve made here, Lieutenant. Master Jedi here has told me that you were invaluable to her mission here. I also am pleased to report that your unit is being sent home. They’ve been here far longer than they were supposed to be, and I know they’re anxious to move on, “ the Commander stated.

“Yes,” Felix replied, “I know they and their families will be very pleased to be reunited. But sir, where will I be going?”

“Well, seeing how the Jedi council sent us Master Magdalane, I could hardly refuse their request that I assign someone from Hoth to accompany her on her work for the council. She has chosen you to be reassigned to her crew, but only if you agree.”

Felix was stunned. He was going to be with her! He had a choice? No, not really, he thought. Life would be less without her in it. He looked at Magdalane, still standing at the window. She turned to face him fully.

“I cannot promise adventure of the sort we’ve been seeing every day, Lieutenant, but I can promise that we will represent the ideals of the Republic and work with them to see peace restored,” she said.

“I’m sorry, Master Jedi, I was temporarily stunned into silence by the thought of being warm again,” he said with a smile. It had been a running joke between them, her need for multiple layers of warmth out in the field. “I’d be truly honored to join your crew.” He held her luminous green eyes with his, not wanting to break the contact, the promise her gaze held. When she held out her hand to him, he almost kissed it, but remembered in time where he was and shook it instead.

When the Commander dismissed him to go gather his things, Magdalane walked out of the building with him. She looked up at him under her hood, and made a statement that set his heart racing, something he’d been thinking since he woke up that morning.

“I am so looking forward to seeing you every day, Felix.”

She looked down, then, maybe a little embarrassed, and told him she’d meet him at the shuttle to the orbital station in 3 hours. He went to his quarters to pack his few belongings, his excitement and anticipation making his hands fly and his heart light. When he met her at the shuttle bay, she’d taken her hood down and drawn the stares of the flight crews, which she ignored. Qyzen must have gone ahead since she was standing alone. It was rather unusual, since she’d told him that the council had requested she keep a bodyguard with her. Felix thought about this for a minute, and felt his heart stumble at the thought that maybe she wanted some time alone with him.

He was right, she did want to tell him about the crew he’d meet shortly, but she did so with less of the formality that she’d always wrapped herself in on Hoth. By the time the shuttle arrived at the orbital station, they were laughing together and he delighted at the closeness he felt. Onboard the ship, the droid took his pack to the crew area, and Magdalane showed him around the ship making introductions. Then they had dinner with the rest of the crew, where he and Tharan had quite an enjoyable discussion, and Qyzen had regaled the crew with stories of their “great hunt” on Hoth.

After dinner, Magdalane bid good night to her crew, and retired to her quarters. After a few more stories and a drink, Felix did the same. Since Nadia slept elsewhere, and Tharan was with his Holiday, he was alone in the crew quarters. He lay in the comfortable bunk, hands behind his head, warm and cozy for the first time in two years, and smiled in the darkness. Just knowing she was near was enough. For now.

Sorry, the whole purpose was to flesh out how they met and he became part of her crew, since in the game, it was just *pow* I'm on your ship now. Iresso tells the JC in one of their earlier convos that at first he wasn't sure if his feelings were real or just a carry over from their time on Hoth, and that's the extent we know of it. I might do more, but will prob have to put it on another site.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...