No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

Tofu_Shark

Disney has no understanding of the Force, lightsabers, and especially not superweapons. You cannot turn a whole planet into a weapon and destroy an entire system on the other side of the galaxy. As for the Force, Disney is just making it up as they go along. Grabbing and holding a blaster bolt in midair? Lifting up your hand and reading someone's mind? Come on! So no, it's not all Star Wars.

Oh, and creating a Force Storm out of nowhere in space that swallows up a whole fleet of ships and teleports Luke Skywalker from Coruscant across the galaxy to Palpatine Reborn like happened in the Dark Empire comics from old EU continuity, that's all fine and good then? Legends EU has crazy, unbelievable and overpowered powers as well and somehow I don't see you complaining about the crazy stuff they did there.

Grabbing a blaster bolt with the Force is called Force Freeze or Stasis, it was used in the old Legends continuity all the time, long before Disney showed it in Episode 7. Lifting your hand and reading their mind? Yeah, we have that in Legends too, it's called Mind/Memory Drain and thus also not Disney's idea. As for blowing up stuff from across the galaxy, oh boy, oh boy, I guess you never heard about the Hyperspace Canon from Legends continuity! And if you find Starkiller Base unrealistic, I better shouldn't tell you about the sentient planet that travelled across the galaxy at will called Zonama Sekot... yeah, that was Legends EU too, before Disney ever touched Star Wars. And don't get me started on the disaster that was Abeloth or Luke Skywalker's insane clone who was called Luuke Skywalker.

Every single thing you mentioned has literally been covered before in the Star Wars mythos. Sure, Legends continuity might have named it differently in some occasions, but the concepts come down to the same thing. So Disney didn't come up with all of that, it's been in Star Wars before Disney even thought of buying the franchise. It was all part of the Expanded Universe, which people praise as if it was flawless and perfect, but absolutely was not.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small things that have absolutely no major consequences for the entirety of the game or the lore of it, but because OP has an obsession on this subject, it's a problem. This wouldn't even have been a problem if the OP didn't make one out of it, which again proves and shows that the entire divide between the Legends EU and Disney canon is completely and utterly artificial. It's a problem because people make a problem out of it where there was none before. The Legends EU and Disney canon can quietly exist side by side and even merrily intertwine, but no, a few butthurts have to make an issue out of it because they don't like it. What's next? People who are on a diet will forbid others from eating cookies and chocolate?

A better analogy would be that the people with a peanut allergy request that you please stop adding peanuts to the food they’re currently eating.

A better analogy would be that the people with a peanut allergy request that you please stop adding peanuts to the food they’re currently eating.

I fail to see how that analogy is in any way fitting. The Disney canon isn't inherently bad, people make it bad for themselves, period. They choose not to like it, they choose to be offended by it. A diet is something you usually choose as well. A peanut allergy is not something you choose, so as an analogy it absolutely fails to hit the mark.

Edited by Ylliarus

I fail to see how that analogy is in any way fitting. The Disney canon isn't inherently bad, people make it bad for themselves, period. They choose not to like it, they choose to be offended by it. A diet is something you usually choose as well. A peanut allergy is not something you choose, so as an analogy it absolutely fails to hit the mark.

I didn’t “choose” to find Force Awakens the single worst piece of fiction I’ve ever seen. I went in there excited, came out miserable, and it’s only gotten worse since then. SWTOR is the last ongoing eu story, my one and only refuge from Disney’s butchering of canon, killing of major characters for shock value, retcons of how the force works, and the sort of stupid badly written villains and super weapons the eu moved on from decades ago.

I purchased SWTOR pre-Disney. The story was explicitly not Disney canon. Adding Disney elements to it now is the equivalent of a restaurant adding ingredients you hate to a meal after you already bought it and started eating.

Now, I’m not overly upset by the mention of tea or something, it just worries me that it’s a trend of them adding more and more Disney elements going forward. A brand of tea can be ignored. A flashpoint on Jaaku cannot, and that’s what worries me - that they’re testing the waters and will be adding more and more Disney to it in future.

Edited by DarthVitrial

I didn’t “choose” to find Force Awakens the single worst piece of fiction I’ve ever seen. I went in there excited, came out miserable, and it’s only gotten worse since then. SWTOR is the last ongoing eu story, my one and only refuge from Disney’s butchering of canon, killing of major characters for shock value, retcons of how the force works, and the sort of stupid badly written villains and super weapons the eu moved on from decades ago.

I purchased SWTOR pre-Disney. The story was explicitly not Disney canon. Adding Disney elements to it now is the equivalent of a restaurant adding ingredients you hate to a meal after you already bought it and started eating.

Now, I’m not overly upset by the mention of tea or something, it just worries me that it’s a trend of them adding more and more Disney elements going forward. A brand of tea can be ignored. A flashpoint on Jaaku cannot, and that’s what worries me - that they’re testing the waters and will be adding more and more Disney to it in future.

If you think TFA is the single worst piece of fiction you've ever seen you either:

a.) Haven't seen much faction

b.) are exaggerating

If you think TFA is the single worst piece of fiction you've ever seen you either:

a.) Haven't seen much faction

b.) are exaggerating

Neither.

I literally cannot describe how much I hate that movie. I was miserable for a solid month after seeing it before accepting that Disney had told me I wasn’t wanted anymore. Star Wars meant a lot to me growing up, it was my childhood in a huge way. I was the die hard fan, the one who owned literally every single expanded universe book, comic, game, and Rp supplement, and force awakens went out of its way to stomp on every theme the original trilogy had. It retconned the eu out of existence and filled itself with horrible, low quality ripoffs of the characters and stories it had just said no longer existed.

Im sure last Jedi is worse, but I wouldn’t know. I wasn’t going to spend money to see a sequel to the worst movie I ever saw.

Edited by DarthVitrial

This thread still lives?

... but no, a few butthurts have to make an issue out of it because they don't like it.

Well, if I don’t like something I can talk about it, right? You can disagree. Discussion starts. Forums work as intended. No need to be mad about “butthurts” having an opinion that’s different from yours.

You may not care about this "imaginary issue" or you may think that it’s something positive. It’s okay.

But for me (and a few others) this small stupid thing is important because I (and a few others) happened to not like the current state of the franchise I (we) love. I'm sure no one wants to hear a sob story about myself trying to get into Disney’s take on Star Wars since 2014 and not being able to because everything I touched turned out to be mediocre at best or straight garbage at worst (anyone remembers Forces of Destiny?). But hey, look, they only just started! give them credit! they actually make movies! Lucasfilm was dying anyway! EU was just a huge pile of garbage with few good things! Star Wars in general is a huge pile of stupid garbage for kids, what did you expect? don't focus on things you hate, focus on things you love! move on!

It’s not even about EU being cancelled and de-canonized, it’s about EU, despite all its flaws, being replaced with mediocre and controversial content that keeps telling me “go away, there’s nothing for you, no need to hang around”. Lucasfilm representatives continuously making statements about “toxic fans” don’t help either.

Separating new canon from 1991-2014 content is what keeps my inner Star Wars fan sane. You just convince yourself that Disney stuff is alternate universe. Luckily it’s not that hard since these two timelines contradict a lot on continuity level: lots of events that occured in them are mutually exclusive, characters share names and appearances but not biographies, planets share names but not geography and history. More importantly, there are concepts that work in one timeline and don’t work in another like bleeding crystals, or understanding Balance in the Force as equal amount of DS and LS Force users and stating it as an objective truth. Nah, this divide is not artificial at all. It’s quite natural.

I actually moved on and stopped bothering about new stuff. SWTOR is the only Star Wars project I was following since the release of TLJ, mostly because it’s one of the best experiences I ever had as a Star Wars fan and I do care about it a lot, but also because it’s the only project that still continues EU continuity and exists within EU lore. It’s only natural that I don’t want the only remnant of good ol’ days (even though they weren’t always that good) reminding me of alternate timeline I try to keep away from for the sake of my sanity.

Typing this wall of text won’t affect anything. Whatever happens, happens. But if you have a strong feeling about something it's worth expressing anyway.

Edited by Ollmich

Neither.

I literally cannot describe how much I hate that movie. I was miserable for a solid month after seeing it before accepting that Disney had told me I wasn’t wanted anymore. Star Wars meant a lot to me growing up, it was my childhood in a huge way. I was the die hard fan, the one who owned literally every single expanded universe book, comic, game, and Rp supplement, and force awakens went out of its way to stomp on every theme the original trilogy had. It retconned the eu out of existence and filled itself with horrible, low quality ripoffs of the characters and stories it had just said no longer existed.

Im sure last Jedi is worse, but I wouldn’t know. I wasn’t going to spend money to see a sequel to the worst movie I ever saw.

It honestly sounds like you need to consult a therapist, dude.

Because I have feelings for one of the biggest cultural touchstones of the 20th century? for the story that resonated with audiences like almost no other fiction has in centuries? The one that has become so ingrained in popular culture that Jedi is an actual recognized religion, that basically anyone in the western world can quote lines from and recognize characters of because it was so beloved by the world? Because I’m upset that this massive cultural touchstone has been butchered by a company that goes out of its way to insult the fans?

The simple fact, though, is that no matter how much we talk back and forth we will never ever agree. You consider Disney Star Wars to be a quality, enjoyable product, something that gives you happiness, and you’d like more of it because you enjoy it.

I consider Disney’s treatment of the franchise an absolute insult to a hugely important part of Hollywood history and a hugely influential factor in my own life, and want it kept firmly away from the one remaining part of the franchise that still honors its history.

We will never come to an agreement or be able to change each other’s minds, so there’s no point in arguing.

I dont care who pays to produce things, and I think this game should reference every other Star Wars source cannon or otherwise. Tie ins with current media are obviously lucrative and advisable for the health of the game and player base.

The reality is Disney owns Star Wars now and theyre going to make new content.

At heart I agree with the OP. All reboot references disgust me. This game is my refuge for a fandom I love so very much.

From a practical perspective, I just want the "Legends" (I hate even calling it that) universe to continue to expand and flourish, so if it requires compromises in order to make that happen, then I will tolerate them, not that I really have a choice in the matter, I guess. Especially if it is not appearing as story content.

Not going to chop my nose off to spite my face.

LOL, I was about to say the same thing.

All these anti-Disney SW people are absolute babies.

Seriously, from all my reading on the interwebz in the last four years I can only conclude that they all had just decided to hate it just as soon as George sold it.

Oh, and...

Oh, and creating a Force Storm out of nowhere in space that swallows up a whole fleet of ships and teleports Luke Skywalker from Coruscant across the galaxy to Palpatine Reborn like happened in the Dark Empire comics from old EU continuity, that's all fine and good then? Legends EU has crazy, unbelievable and overpowered powers as well and somehow I don't see you complaining about the crazy stuff they did there.

Grabbing a blaster bolt with the Force is called Force Freeze or Stasis, it was used in the old Legends continuity all the time, long before Disney showed it in Episode 7. Lifting your hand and reading their mind? Yeah, we have that in Legends too, it's called Mind/Memory Drain and thus also not Disney's idea. As for blowing up stuff from across the galaxy, oh boy, oh boy, I guess you never heard about the Hyperspace Canon from Legends continuity! And if you find Starkiller Base unrealistic, I better shouldn't tell you about the sentient planet that travelled across the galaxy at will called Zonama Sekot... yeah, that was Legends EU too, before Disney ever touched Star Wars. And don't get me started on the disaster that was Abeloth or Luke Skywalker's insane clone who was called Luuke Skywalker.

Every single thing you mentioned has literally been covered before in the Star Wars mythos. Sure, Legends continuity might have named it differently in some occasions, but the concepts come down to the same thing. So Disney didn't come up with all of that, it's been in Star Wars before Disney even thought of buying the franchise. It was all part of the Expanded Universe, which people praise as if it was flawless and perfect, but absolutely was not.

...schooled. :D

I would love to see the time logged references of which you speak. A good 3-4 years passed before Disney did anything. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of hate sent their way. If it had been so I would have recalled it the same way I held contempt for prequel haters.

The made a choice and they can reap the fruits of their decisions, good or bad.

I hope you enjoy the Rise of Skywalker. I bet it is gonna be a real gem. ;)

LOL, I was about to say the same thing.

All these anti-Disney SW people are absolute babies.

Seriously, from all my reading on the interwebz in the last four years I can only conclude that they all had just decided to hate it just as soon as George sold it.

Oh, and...

...schooled. :D

I would love to see the time logged references of which you speak. A good 3-4 years passed before Disney did anything. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of hate sent their way. If it had been so I would have recalled it the same way I held contempt for prequel haters.

The made a choice and they can reap the fruits of their decisions, good or bad.

I hope you enjoy the Rise of Skywalker. I bet it is gonna be a real gem. ;)

I first heard people irrationally hating on Star Wars and Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy when the Disney deal was announced before it even happened and it sounds exactly the same now. Prequel haters were quite different although just as silly.

Personally I think Attack of the Clones and The Last Jedi are in a solid tie for worst Star Wars picture of all time with Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure the runner up.

I think it's hilarious that most of the people that are pro-Disney are just throwing name-calling, ad hominem attacks, and slippery slopes for their arguments. It only proves they don't have a leg to stand on. I thank those who share my position in voicing their agreement and reasons why they do. I also commend those few with opposing viewpoints who took the higher ground and actually made reasoned arguments.

Small things that have absolutely no major consequences for the entirety of the game or the lore of it, but because OP has an obsession on this subject, it's a problem. This wouldn't even have been a problem if the OP didn't make one out of it, which again proves and shows that the entire divide between the Legends EU and Disney canon is completely and utterly artificial. It's a problem because people make a problem out of it where there was none before. The Legends EU and Disney canon can quietly exist side by side and even merrily intertwine, but no, a few butthurts have to make an issue out of it because they don't like it. What's next? People who are on a diet will forbid others from eating cookies and chocolate?

They constantly rewrite and contradict the EU. There is no way they can mix the two without asspulls and a huge backlash.

There is a problem, and gaslighting EU fans doesn't make it nonexistent. Separate and unequal, that's how the two universes will and should always be. I waited with anticipation for TFA and was disappointed and insulted with how Disney squandered its resources after seeing it and hearing the remarks that they'd rather throw away an entire established fanbase (a moronic marketing decision) and spit on the material they were chosen to take care of for future generations. I've yet to see Disney surpass my much lower expectations for Star Wars since (even The Mandalorian).

As outlandish as some EU elements are, most of the seem to make sense or are at least plausible within the universe. They don't utterly break the suspension of disbelief like Disney has done. There wasn't a single time I was pulled out of the EU and said, "wait, that's utterly ridiculous! That could never happen!" or "Why would they do that? They would never do that!"

Who the hell decided to keep the entire New Republic fleet above the capital world so it could be taken out with one swift stroke? Who decided to disband the military after the New Republic assumed control of the galaxy? Who said touching a frakking lightsaber or having your mind penetrated was enough to gain abilities in the Force? Who's heroine has had utterly no faults and one that wasn't expounded on that could've made an interesting weakness? How could a scavenger best someone trained in the Jedi arts in lightsaber combat without any formal training? What kind of commander doesn't tell their officers what their escape plan is in their darkest hour. How the hell can you stop a blaster bolt with the Force? (That's not how the Force works!) Why would a villain act like a child, have a temper tantrum, and destroy equipment instead doing something that would strike fear in his subordinates, such as torturing or killing then? That's not someone to be feared! How the hell does the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, who redeemed his father, the scourge of the galaxy, give up on his nephew, the most gifted person in the Force since himself, because he was struggling with the dark side? Since when the hell can you jump to hyperspace within the atmosphere of a planet or the hangar of a ship, or jump into another ship? Why didn't the Rebels just take out the Death Star and Imperial Fleet with kamikaze hyperspace jumpers? How could someone with no training in the Force survive in a vacuum and whisk themselves back onto the ship they were blown off of?

I'm tired, I could go on.

I never said the EU was perfect, but I prefer its disorganized mess of patchwork compared to Disney's organized, nonsensical, unbelievable, plane that crashed into a ship that caused it to run aground onto a train track, causing a trainwreck that caused a 50-car pileup way of running the universe.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

/disagree

I've enjoyed the New Canon's updated "takes" on many Legends / old EU characters, locations, etc., such as Thrawn, TIE Defenders, Death Watch, Ilum, and so on. I think this game introducing a Legends-continuity take on some of the new content from the Canon is an excellent opportunity to put a potentially interesting spin on those elements. I'd love to see a Legends iteration of something like Ardennians, Tarre Vizsla, or Bracca.

It's come to my attention, Bioware, that you have slipped in references to Disney's Star Wars within the game. Outfits and weapons were toeing the line, this is sticking the tip of the nail over it:

• Gatalentan tea and the world it comes from
  • A reference being interpreted by some as a possible reference to Ahch-to in the Republic Jedi Under Siege story

Players, if you know of any others, please share them in this thread.

This game is every EU fan's last refuge from Disney. Here, we can pretend the EU was never relegated as non-canon and the sequel trilogy, those awful standalone movies, and the poor imitation of Battlefront never happened.

Please do not make any more references to Disney's Star Wars. Disney has no place in an EU game. Keep their stuff out of an EU game. You are playing with fire by putting the streams dangerously close together, to mix metaphors.

^-1, OPPOSED: just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other players shouldn't enjoy it if they want. I love my cross guard lightsabers and would pay whatever BioWare wants for a ToR version of Kylo Ren's robes and The Mandalorian full Beskar armor.

Edited by Willjb

^-1, OPPOSED: just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other players shouldn't enjoy it if they want. I love my cross guard lightsabers and would pay whatever BioWare wants for a ToR version of Kylo Ren's robes and The Mandalorian full Beskar armor.

I personally do not care for the cross guard sabers. However, I think the game would benefit from a healthy mix of Disney and EU elements. I would like to see Darth Nihl's single bladed staff saber. Disney gave it a nice twist (intended or not) with the pike. Ezra's hybrid saber/stun blaster would make a nice addition as well but that would be a whole other class of its own. Probably a mix between a Jedi and a smuggler.

The Mandalorian's Beskar armor isn't too far off from the EU's Beskar'gam. There had been many versions that there's really no standard design aside from the unmistakeable "T" shaped visor on the helmets. As long as that's present, they can dress Yuuzhan Vong in tutu's for all I care. Disney is winning for a reason. But that can't take away a true fan's love for the EU and pre-Disney canon.

Just like Facebook, if you see something you don't like, scroll on move on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a Star Wars fan - or, maybe, ex-fan - I've been very disappointed with Disney's version. The movie franchise is essentially dead to me.

However, also, I would appear to be not a "true" SW fan because I know nothing of the EU, or any of the animated series or comics. Nor do I watch "The Mandalorian". Nor do I care about it to that extent.

Nowadays, I still enjoy playing SWTOR and I don't care (or know, most of the time) where things come from, whether it's the so called "EU" or Disney.

Edited by JediQuaker

As a Star Wars fan - or, maybe, ex-fan - I've been very disappointed with Disney's version. The movie franchise is essentially dead to me.

However, also, I would appear to be not a "true" SW fan because I know nothing of the EU, or any of the animated series or comics. Nor do I watch "The Mandalorian". Nor do I care about it to that extent.

Nowadays, I still enjoy playing SWTOR and I don't care (or know, most of the time) where things come from, whether it's the so called "EU" or Disney.

Kinda in the same boat. I have zero knowledge of the EU. But for me Star Wars ended with ROTJ, the movie where Palpatine died and the Death Star was like, I don't know... vaporized ?

Now, when it comes to swtor if it is that chump's lightsaber we're talking about, meh.... I don't care. But if I start seeing objects being teleported through force skype... ugh.... really ?

Edited by wainot-keel