[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

Bodyguard PvP

Immortal 2.0

This build is great for rated warzones and 1v1 when you know you are going to be the focus of many DPS

• Kolto Shell will proc twice every 3 seconds when used in conjunction with a quick GCD of rapid shots at an enemy
  • Immunity from Interupts while Energy Shield is active
  • 20% healing taken when Energy Shield is active

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bodyguard PvP

• with a quick GCD of rapid shots at an enemy

Worst part about the ability is that as a healer, i have to attack an enemy to heal myself instead of having the additional option of using rapidshots on a friendly to heal myself (with an added exception to not have stacks consumed if you are already full health).

I still think it's a decent spec and have added it to the list. Thank you.

Edited by DkSharktooth

• 4 weeks later...
Bump, and TBH the fact that this guide and Aerro's pve Arsenal guide aren't yet stickied is a travesty.

I hate to be pessimistic on new years, but I have been around since launch and there is a clear indication that developers and forum mods do not offer insight, interact with their audience, read, or care about class forums. The proof lies in the balance and obvious lack of yellow posts for all classes and class concerns. This is the reason why most posts that get attention are on PVP forums or General Discussion, that seems to be the only forum they read and it consequently always has the most interaction.

Edited by DkSharktooth

I hate to be pessimistic on new years, but I have been around since launch and there is a clear indication that developers and forum mods do not offer insight, interact with their audience, read, or care about class forums. The proof lies in the balance and obvious lack of yellow posts for all classes and class concerns. This is the reason why most posts that get attention are on PVP forums or General Discussion, that seems to be the only forum they read and it consequently always has the most interaction.

Except that I go to other forums and guides like these ARE stickied.

That said, I know that the Merc forums are the last place any dev would want to visit--but still...

If they didn't visit here they may not have fixed the talents that were broken. Here's the list of broken talents that i and many others provided data on as an example.

Target Tracking/Deadly Cannon=did not work for Unload/Full Auto=Fixed

Terminal Velocity/Cell Charger=did not work for Unload/Full Auto=Redesigned

So they do read class forums. If they didn't these bugs may have gotten overlooked.

I have a few problems with this guide. Torhead does not work for me so i can't see any of the talent builds. For Arsenal. Still listing Agile Mod 27 and 27A. When it should be Agile Mod 27 and Nimble mod 27 (no A variants should be used). Also you don't get 35% crit and put the rest in power any more. Get Tech bonus damage to ~1100 via power fully buffed and using a stim. The rest goes into crit. You should also add Advanced Battle Enhancement 27 and Advanced Acute 27 as well. Looking at the Arsenal rotation video it's arguable about rotation. There are a few variations that are all fine imo. So it's ok as is. However Unload should be used wether Riddle procs or not. Just to be clear.

I'd rather a guide was a bit more accurate. Should it have been stickied at one time? Maybe. But as is i'm not giving it any stars personally. Although i do believe a lot of work went into it and i am appreciative of this work. I'm sure it's helped many. And yes i'm nitpicking a bit here. But i am doing so in hopes that this gets corrected.

Edited by deadandburied

If they didn't visit here they may not have fixed the talents that were broken. Here's the list of broken talents that i and many others provided data on as an example.

So they do read class forums. If they didn't these bugs may have gotten overlooked.

I have a few problems with this guide. Torhead does not work for me so i can't see any of the talent builds. For Arsenal. Still listing Agile Mod 27 and 27A. When it should be Agile Mod 27 and Nimble mod 27 (no A variants should be used). Also you don't get 35% crit and put the rest in power any more. Get Tech bonus damage to ~1100 via power fully buffed and using a stim. The rest goes into crit. You should also add Advanced Battle Enhancement 27 and Advanced Acute 27 as well. Looking at the Arsenal rotation video it's arguable about rotation. There are a few variations that are all fine imo. So it's ok as is. However Unload should be used wether Riddle procs or not. Just to be clear.

I'd rather a guide was a bit more accurate. Should it have been stickied at one time? Maybe. But as is i'm not giving it any stars personally. Although i do believe a lot of work went into it and i am appreciative of this work. I'm sure it's helped many. And yes i'm nitpicking a bit here. But i am doing so in hopes that this gets corrected.

None of the class guides in any class forum are definitive, nor are they meant to be.

The purpose of keeping guides like these on the top of the front page are two-fold: 1) it provides a consolidated forum for debate (such as your comments re: rotations, mods and enhancements) and 2) it provides a place for new players to seek information w/o needing to post individual threads on these same topics ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

The two guides I recommended are the most up to date in terms of patches, therefore they provide the best forums for discussion. I would like to see a definitive healing guide that's up to date as well.

They do listen to ability bug reports. I know this for a fact. I have sent ingame class bug tickets and many of them that have been fixed in one to two patch notes. It's not always easy to fix class bugs. Best advice I can tell you is to BE VERY CLEAR ON HOW TO REPLICATE THE BUG. If you cannot tell them how to replicate it, or how it happened, they cannot backwards rationalize on how to fix it. The game has alot of bugs so all it needs is time to figure out and fix each one.

Please provide a few parses (5 or more, 2 minutes each) on target dummies so we can compare your rotation and results with my own. If you turn out to do better than me I will adjust my gearing in my guide. It was meant to be the best possible setup without using a sim craft program to nitpick every stat to its absolute finest. I use Mox Desktop parser if you needed to know.

If the developers do read class forums to check for bugs, there is no indication they have acknowledged it because there are never yellow posts. I am not sure if they are afraid to post something because they will get trolled or if they just don't know enough about their own classes.

Edited by DkSharktooth

From the post Target Tracking doesn't work for Unload in merc forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=446863&highlight=target+tracking&page=3

Thank you for the reports about Deadly Cannon and Target Tracking, everyone! We're aware of this issue and are working on a fix for it.

A good example below for Cell Charger talent bug in Commando forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=438245&page=2

START LOG

02:16 restore 1 ammo

02:16 crit Grav Round

02:23 restore 1 ammo

02:23 crit Grav Round

02:28 restore 1 ammo

02:28 crit Grav Round

02:38 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

02:44 crit Demolition Round (failed to restore ammo)

02:46 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

02:47 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

02:48 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

02:51 restore 1 ammo

02:51 crit Grav Round

02:57 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

03:00 restore 1 ammo

03:00 crit Demolition Round

03:06 restore 1 ammo

03:06 crit Grav Round

03:21 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

03:24 restore 1 ammo

03:24 crit Demolition Round

03:31 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

03:48 restore 0 ammo (restored 0 ammo oddly)

03:48 crit Grav Round (failed to restore ammo)

03:51 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

03:58 restore 1 ammo

03:58 crit Grav Round

04:03 restore 1 ammo

04:03 crit Grav Round

04:13 restore 1 ammo

04:13 crit Grav Round

04:27 restore 2 ammo (hit Recharge Cells and Restored 2 ammo from 2 points into Cell Capacitor talent)

04:27 restore 4 ammo (Recharge Cells Restored 4 ammo)

04:27 restore 1 ammo

04:27 crit Grav Round

04:28 restore 0 ammo (Recharge Cells Restored 0 ammo as i was at full)

04:30 restore 1 ammo

04:30 crit Grav Round

04:34 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

04:38 restore 1 ammo

04:38 crit Grav Round

04:43 restore 1 ammo

04:43 crit Demolition Round

04:48 restore 1 ammo

04:48 crit Grav Round

04:53 restore 1 ammo

04:53 crit Grav Round

04:59 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

05:04 restore 1 ammo

05:04 crit Grav Round

05:09 restore 1 ammo

05:09 crit Grav Round

05:21 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

05:22 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

05:32 restore 1 ammo

05:32 crit Grav Round

05:47 restore 1 ammo

05:47 crit Demolition Round

05:54 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

06:01 restore 1 ammo

06:01 crit Grav Round

06:14 restore 1 ammo

06:14 crit Grav Round

06:22 restore 1 ammo

06:22 crit Grav Round

06:26 restore 1 ammo

06:26 crit Grav Round

06:30 restore 1 ammo

06:30 crit Grav Round

06:36 restore 1 ammo

06:36 crit Grav Round

06:40 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

06:41 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

06:48 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

06:52 restore 1 ammo

06:52 crit Grav Round

06:57 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

06:58 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

07:12 restore 1 ammo

07:12 crit Grav Round

07:23 restore 1 ammo

07:23 crit Grav Round

07:29 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

07:30 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

07:39 restore 1 ammo

07:39 crit Grav Round

07:44 restore 1 ammo

07:44 crit Grav Round

07:49 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

07:53 restore 1 ammo

07:53 crit Grav Round

07:53 crit Demolition Round

07:58 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:02 restore 1 ammo

08:02 crit Grav Round

08:06 restore 1 ammo

08:06 crit Grav Round

08:15 restore 1 ammo

08:15 crit Grav Round

08:20 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:27 restore 1 ammo

08:27 crit Demolition Round

08:36 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:45 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:46 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:47 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

08:53 restore 1 ammo

08:53 crit Grav Round

08:57 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

09:02 restore 1 ammo

09:02 crit Grav Round

09:11 restore 1 ammo

09:11 crit Grav Round

09:16 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

09:17 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

09:21 restore 1 ammo

09:21 crit Grav Round

09:28 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

09:30 restore 1 ammo

09:30 crit Demolition Round

09:39 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

09:40 crit Full Auto (failed to restore ammo)

END LOG

We did not get a yellow response in that thread. However we linked it in another thread in customer service in which they responded. Thankfully they redesigned the talent. Cause quite often you would not get ammo restored for over 30 seconds which i also posted about as well as the above log.

To say they never respond in class forums is a falcity. While i don't see many they do respond at times. I certainly wished they responded a lot more often though.

As for 5 2 minute dummy tests. 2 minute tests are a total waste of time. You might crit for 25% in one test and 65% in another. Longer tests provide a better average. I'd suggest 6 min tests at the very least and preferably 10-12 min. I typically use 10-12 min tests myself. However you can just napkin math what each ability does and skip the parsing. My only suggestion was to ensure you use Unload wether Barrage procs or not. Barrage only provides approx an 18.9% actual increase to Unload as it's 25% additive and not muliplicative. So even without the Barrage proc Unload still does more dps than a Tracer Missle. Note Target Tracking was fixed for Unload in 1.3.2 which increased Unloads dps and made the above feasible. Hence one reason why i said to update your post.

Edited by deadandburied

I say PFFT. Merc is still not considered a viable class for top pvper's. I leveled one to full warhero, best in slot. Gets some big numbers in pug wz's but not even almost viable in the real deal. I would like to take this time to thank bioware for making the pyrotech and sniper so much better for range dps then the merc. Giving the merc an interupt was long overdue and making the electro dart a ten meter range was brilliant. Funny how even less people play mercs now then before. Look, here is the sad truth. If you want to hold two guns and pew pew everyone, join the pub side.

My thoughts on PvP builds:

-System Calibrations for Alacrity seems completely worthless to me. Very rare to use a channel unless free casting

-Gyroscopic Alignment Jets should not be taken ever, IMO

-Degauss should always be taken. It saves you from melee

-Burnout should always be taken to 3 ranks

Here is the PvP build I use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

If you are fully geared out, your rapid and healing scan can actually save teammates sometimes. For this reason I have 2 points in Med Tech to reduce cast time for heals. If you prefer to never heal, move those 2 points to the next box over for +2% crit chance.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Comment about the PvP 1v1 Spec:

Might not need the system calibrations for alacrity because the only thing it will help with is unload and power shot. But you are lacking the Pushback Reduction 3-point talent from arsenal tree for Power Shot. In a 1 on 1, your Power Shot is going to be significantly pushed back without that talent. The 2 points from alacrity would be better served by putting them in the arsenal box (along with a 3rd point) and just reducing pushback.

• 2 weeks later...
My thoughts on PvP builds:

-System Calibrations for Alacrity seems completely worthless to me. Very rare to use a channel unless free casting

-Gyroscopic Alignment Jets should not be taken ever, IMO

-Degauss should always be taken. It saves you from melee

-Burnout should always be taken to 3 ranks

Here is the PvP build I use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

If you are fully geared out, your rapid and healing scan can actually save teammates sometimes. For this reason I have 2 points in Med Tech to reduce cast time for heals. If you prefer to never heal, move those 2 points to the next box over for +2% crit chance.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000MZMckZcGMrzGurs.2

@Gyroscopic Alignment: I don't see why not, if you are a merc you are an easy target for people and you will always get stunned alot in pvp. I feel this helps with heat management from my personal experience.

2/2 Energy rebounder is needed for you to be able to use Degauss when you need it (unless there is some bug I am unaware of). It is counter productive to have a snare removal up only half the time in a game with alot of snares and melee.

IMO You don't need 3/3 on Burnout in PVP simply because it's a very conditional situation in which a target is below 30% in a game with powerful healers in pvp as well as medpacs and offheals. I would rather take 2/3 and put that point into Energy Rebounder for the reason above in which this skill will constantly be activated due to frequent pvp damage taken.

Regardless, these are minor talent changes that come down to preference.

Edited by DkSharktooth

@Gyroscopic Alignment: I don't see why not, if you are a merc you are an easy target for people and you will always get stunned alot in pvp. I feel this helps with heat management from my personal experience.

2/2 Energy rebounder is needed for you to be able to use Degauss when you need it (unless there is some bug I am unaware of). It is counter productive to have a snare removal up only half the time in a game with alot of snares and melee.

IMO You don't need 3/3 on Burnout in PVP simply because it's a very conditional situation in which a target is below 30% in a game with powerful healers in pvp as well as medpacs and offheals. I would rather take 2/3 and put that point into Energy Rebounder for the reason above in which this skill will constantly be activated due to frequent pvp damage taken.

Regardless, these are minor talent changes that come down to preference.

Yea they are pretty much personal preference. One thing I'll point out to you is about Energy Rebounder and Degauss. You said that you need 2/2 in energy rebounder for Degauss to be good. The reason why my build has only 1/2 in energy rebounder is because of its effect. With 1/2 there is only a 50% chance to lower CD on Energy Shield....but its a 50% chance any time you take damage. For example, if someone Rapid Shots you....it hits you multiple times so the 50% chance is almost a guarantee since there are 3 or 4 chances all at once.

Also I find that my defense vs melee has to be one the following:

1) Knockback

2) Stun

3) Degauss

It gives me a 3rd option for escape.

I'll say it again. Stabilizers is a must or merc dps. And it's not for just 1v1. Unload and powershot are a huge part of both dps mechanics you need as much protection on them as possible.

I used to think it was a must. The thing is, when a melee is all over you...Stabilizers is going to get you killed. You can't trade Power Shots with any melee class out there.

And against any other ranged class, you are going to lose the fight anyways if all you have available is Power Shots. Even an uninterruptable Power Shot vs a Sniper or PT will get you killed if you swap blows. The only way to beat enemies is if you have your main rotation available. (and thus, no need for power shot)

My only use for Power Shot is when no one is attacking me. I'm very happy to free cast. But I don't trade blows unless my main rotation is ready. Or in the rare case I need to finish someone off and everything else is on cooldown.

I used to think it was a must. The thing is, when a melee is all over you...Stabilizers is going to get you killed. You can't trade Power Shots with any melee class out there.

And against any other ranged class, you are going to lose the fight anyways if all you have available is Power Shots. Even an uninterruptable Power Shot vs a Sniper or PT will get you killed if you swap blows. The only way to beat enemies is if you have your main rotation available. (and thus, no need for power shot)

My only use for Power Shot is when no one is attacking me. I'm very happy to free cast. But I don't trade blows unless my main rotation is ready. Or in the rare case I need to finish someone off and everything else is on cooldown.

Exactly my point. As a general rule of thumb take talents that will be active and used for the most amount of time. I barely cast power shot unless I have range on my target and unload I might cast if melee is on top of me in order to get a railshot to proc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a straw man argument. NO one who knows what they are doing is spamming power shot or trying to go toe to toe with melee or snipers. But once you start casting it you want it to finish especially because of the rail shot potential proc. ...everything else is on cool down so you start a power shot.. you are being attacked in the middle of the cast, it fires cleanly, you get the heck out and hope rail shot has popped and fire that on the move. If your pw shot is stopped no pw shot damage no rail shot damage....

Edited by Choffware

I think this is a straw man argument. NO one who knows what they are doing is spamming power shot or trying to go toe to toe with melee or snipers. But once you start casting it you want it to finish especially because of the rail shot potential proc. ...everything else is on cool down so you start a power shot.. you are being attacked in the middle of the cast, it fires cleanly, you get the heck out and hope rail shot has popped and fire that on the move. If your pw shot is stopped no pw shot damage no rail shot damage....

What good is a railshot when you just took a full Ravage while standing there?

And in your first sentence, you said that no one who knows what they are doing is trying to go toe to toe with melee. And then a few sentences later you describe how you stand toe to toe with melee so you can proc a rail shot.

If I'm fighting a melee, I need a gap. I don't need moar rail shotz, or more damage. I almost never stop moving, and when my rotation is down, I spam Rapid Shots and hope to proc a snare (as opposed to standing still, trading blows, and taking damage).

I have a quick question for healers in terms of crystals in our pistols do we go with 2 power or 2 expertise? I tried both an havent noticed much of a difference in output from either one.

2 Expertise. They have the same offensive output as Power, so you wont notice much of a difference. But they help you on the defensive end, which power does not do.

What good is a railshot when you just took a full Ravage while standing there?

And in your first sentence, you said that no one who knows what they are doing is trying to go toe to toe with melee. And then a few sentences later you describe how you stand toe to toe with melee so you can proc a rail shot.

If I'm fighting a melee, I need a gap. I don't need moar rail shotz, or more damage. I almost never stop moving, and when my rotation is down, I spam Rapid Shots and hope to proc a snare (as opposed to standing still, trading blows, and taking damage).

I never mentioned toe to toe with anyone. All I was trying to say is that once you start what you think is a "free cast" can get pushed back by almost any negative effect like someone starting to attack you. Once you make the commitment to channel a spell it's almost always (almost) better to finish it before you react and get the hell out of there. Power shot might be not such a great example. Stabilizers effect power shot, concussion missile, and unload all situational and all high risk reward. I don't want them pushed back. All the other talents you can pick that increase dps at that low level, can be replaced by min maxing gear. You can't gear for less push back.

Edited by Choffware