Tank in PvP

VanderII

Tank is not a solo class in PvP. to be effective you need a good healer and at least 1-2 good DPS with you.

youre basically a meat shield, with a lot of health and a few decent utility abilities. a good tank will make a decent group of players relatively unstoppable, especially in pug warzones

Yeah, you should never be alone as a tank. Protection is a bit undervalued in comparison to healing, but if you have a couple guys properly using their taunts and guards, you are gonna be a tough team to contend with.

I used to be a fully augmented WH war leader, 31-point guardian with mostly +def augs (some +str/+end augs to give me some offense). I could actually do between 125-200k dmg with somewhere between 100-200k protection.

I was always left to solo guard nodes/doors because no class could take me down 1v1 in less than 30-45s.

Then I realized something. I wasn't a tank... I was a bunker.

I had absolutely no offense. As a tank guarding an off node, you are a liability to your team, because if the other team sends just one to take your guard, they have to send at least one person to help you ... That leaves the rest of your team at a potential numerical disadvantage, and the best teams can exploit this small window to turn the tide in the WZ.

So, I rebuilt myself. I picked up a suit of DPS gear.

I began playing all vigilance (full DPS), to learn rotations necessary to push damage.

Now, if I need to tank, I'll use this template:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500rMGdzzZforRRhzzMZ0M.2

If its a Huttball, I'll wear my full tank gear set/relics/etc. If I'm solo guarding a node now, I will mix/match my setup.

Often, I will swap to DPS set bonus gear + tanking relics/implants/ear. If solo guarding, I will keep Soresu stance up (to protect against stealthers), and if I can see someone coming to challenge (a non-stealth class), I will swap into Shien stance, and attack. If a stealth class hits me with their opener, I'll separate them (push/awe), then get Shien activated before I attack.

Don't be a bunker. Be a tank. Find some offense, because frankly ... Your defense isn't as good as you think.

Maybe add to every class that their tank form have passive active 15 to 20m taunt/aggro aura. All enemies within that range do 15 to 20% less damage to your group members. Could boost it up to something crazy like 30% damage reduction :D At least now your useful.

Most effective tanks in pvp roll dps gear. Its just how it works.

Would also say you need to be in voice com w/ a dedicated healer.. As a tank, if youre not working as a team w/ a healer, your just not going to be effective at all. Once you got that down start trying to guard swap to any target the opposing team is focusing when your healer has no one on them, and you'll increase your protection numbers and your healers healing numbers.. Would say some of the highest healing #'s i've seen are not due to healers.. they're due to tanks that not only free their healer up to free cast, but also guard switch/never are at full health and always have hots/are in their healers aoes.

What do you think about tank classes in PvP? I'm a jedi knight full tank and I think to be useless, I usually lost every round, all classes (dps; sith sage; imperial agent etc.) win against me so, doyou think it's usual this situation?

you are just wookiee. JK is not your class )

JK very strong in PVP. Little slow, but strong and def

For JK needed, smooth hands.

/sorry :tran_tongue:

Tank is the hardest thing to play in pugs. That's because you need to be more organized and stick with your healer at all times. In pugs, people run around all over the place, and a lot of the times the healer doesn't even know you're guarding him. You'll find you'll die a lot of times. Where tanks really shine is if you go in with a 4-player premade. A couple of dps, a healer, and the tank of course. Playing a tank in PVP definitely requires more communication and organization than is found in most pugs.

I am one of those rare tanks in pvp that uses full pvp tank gear. I have over 27k HP, and I have been told that I am a ***** to kill. I don't do DPS, my job is to AOE taunt on cooldown, guard the healers, and annoy the crap out of the other team, to make them focus on me and not the rest of the team. I am an Assassin tank FYI.

Of course, my role changes based on the WZ we are in... in Huttball I am the ball carrier typically. In CW and Coast I usually solo guard a turret/bunker, and in VS I guard the heals and annoy the other team.

Maybe when 1.6 hits i'll pick up a DPS set of cheap WH stuff.

I am one of those rare tanks in pvp that uses full pvp tank gear. I have over 27k HP, and I have been told that I am a ***** to kill. I don't do DPS, my job is to AOE taunt on cooldown, guard the healers, and annoy the crap out of the other team, to make them focus on me and not the rest of the team. I am an Assassin tank FYI.

Of course, my role changes based on the WZ we are in... in Huttball I am the ball carrier typically. In CW and Coast I usually solo guard a turret/bunker, and in VS I guard the heals and annoy the other team.

Maybe when 1.6 hits i'll pick up a DPS set of cheap WH stuff.

Unless I am busy guarding you ;) ha!

But ya, tanks job is to do your best to tie up the other team , snares, stuns, pushes, taunts. Remember if there is 3 beating on you that means your team out numbers them somewhere else.

Edited by Gunseen

It would be nice if tanks had a temporary immunity to critical/power and surged based attacks

Or you know... not be affected by crit attacks at all since tanks can't shield tech force attacks...

I'd love to be a tank in pvp if my role was more than just shielding a healer...

I'd love to be a tank in pvp if my role was more than just shielding a healer...

My role often seems to end up being "stay alive long enough while stopping caps so that the rest of the team can get back from respawn". Maybe it's just my perception, but I alwasy seem to die at an "off" time, such that when I respawn and the door opens I'm the only one there. By the time I get back to the node, I'm still the only one there because the rest of my team as been killed off by then. They are all in spawn waiting until the next door-open, and I'm trying to remember every trick I ever learned to stay alive long enough for them to get back. Rinse, repeat (well, hopefully repeat, otherwise it means we lost the node).

I don't know if that timing is a side affect of being a tank, just pure dumb luck, or a delusion on my part. :D