Open World PvP: better on PvE or PvP server?

Wohast

With SWTOR having zones like Outlaw's Den and Illum, I am wondering which server type will bring more END GAME PVP ACTION

PvP Server: people PvP'ing everywhere, on every planet...as a result takes away the population from Illum/OD.

PvE Server: PvP only in these two areas...as a result lots of people, easier to find fights.

With the size of Illum, more people is definitely a good thing.

One question I do have that changes things completely is:

On PvP servers do open world kills on regular planets give you commendations? Or do you only get these from Illum/OD/Wz type zones?

Warzone's already take a HUGE chunk of players on PvP and PvE servers...why? because it is the FASTEST way and all you do is sit in ur city and mindlessly queue over and over to grind out your PvP gear.

Based on the chunk of people that WZ's takes, the main question i ask myself is "Do you really want whats left of PvP'ers to be spread out throughout the entire galaxy like on a PvP server...or would you rather have them all in either ILLUM or OD?"

My other concern is that on a PvP server, the END GAME action is gonna be spread out so much, that its going to take LOTS of "looking around" to find fights. PvE server it will all be concentrated, so you only have 1-2 places to go look, and you know thats where all the action is.

Edited by Wohast

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my beta experience, unless you spend a lot of time trying you are not going to get open world pvp outside of the pvp areas on either server ruleset.

in my beta time, tons of high levels just camped lowbie planets looking to gank.

now i could care less about lowbie killing/camping etc...however, with many high levels doing this on many different planets...THAT cuts into the people I run in to in OD/Illum.

now obv this is only a problem on PvP server, and its pretty much my only reason for not wanting to roll on PvP.

I want Illum/OD to always have some action, esp on non peak times...I dont need people PvPing all over the galaxy...I want them in 1-2 zones.

also can anyone answer this, because if regular open world kills are pointless on PvP servers, itll definitely lead more people to stick with Illum/OD and I wont have to worry as much about these 2 zones being underpopulated

On PvP servers do open world kills on regular planets give you commendations? Or do you only get these from Illum/OD/Wz type zones?
Edited by Wohast

PvP server, always.

If anyone bothers to show at RvR areas on a PvE server it will only be during the first 30-60 days after launch. After that it will only high end PvE raiding guilds that get bored and random puggers/newbies and the fights wont last long.

Why because you are dealing with people who care more about PvE and loot than PvP... its why they didn't roll on a PvP server... anyone who says otherwise is full of crap and has never done real PvP. And since the RvR loot will likely be PvP flavored loot its just one more reason for those people to not care about, or get tired of the RvR areas sooner.

People being spread out wont be an issue on a PvP server either, its not as if PvP servers are going to have invisable walls all over the place to hinder you anymore than someone on a PvE server from getting to an RvR area if thats where all the action is.

PvP servers allow for the possibility of spontaneous PvP action, something you'll have no chance of encountering on a PvE server.

Edited by Kromzor

PvP server, always.

If anyone bothers to show at RvR areas on a PvE server it will only be during the first 30-60 days after launch. After that it will only high end PvE raiding guilds that get bored and random puggers/newbies and the fights wont last long.

Why because you are dealing with people who care more about PvE and loot than PvP... its why they didn't roll on a PvP server... anyone who says otherwise is full of crap and has never done real PvP. And since the RvR loot will likely be PvP flavored loot its just one more reason for those people to not care about, or get tired of the RvR areas sooner.

People being spread out wont be an issue on a PvP server either, its not as if PvP servers are going to have invisable walls all over the place to hinder you anymore than someone on a PvE server from getting to an RvR area if thats where all the action is.

PvP servers allow for the possibility of spontaneous PvP action, something you'll have no chance of encountering on a PvE server.

This.

Also, people say they want to have the PVP focused on the two pvp zones. Whicj only encourages zergs.

And people who only PVP behind the safety of their guild, are not PVPrs. They're zergers who gain no experience whatsoever in PVP.

Okok, not all of them. But we all know that that's what most of them are about.

And like above poster mentioned. Spontaneous PVP is where the main difference lies.

You're not supposed to have any safe zones, regardless of level.

Now I don't agree with higher levels griefing lower levels. But in the end, that shouldn't be too bad. And I honestly haven't seen that much of it unless it was the lower levels griefing questers etc all day in the first place.

I for one won't be found on a PVE server.

PvP server, always.

A) if you are flagged for PvP on a PvE server you can be attacked anywhere.

B) if you played DAoC you most likely played on a PvE server. WoW is the only reason people automatically assume "PvE Server = Raiding Carebears"

C) 85% of a PvP server is ganking lowbies...omgz so fun

D) people being spread out is a HUGE issue...you're gonna spend 80% of your time roaming planets just to find fights.

"Hmm planet A is dead right now, guess ill check planet B. Hmm planet B is dead, guess ill check planet C...**** im at planet J and its still dead, guess ill go check Illum now...**** Planet A has some action...damnit I took to long, now the actions back at planet G."

PvE server = hmm these *********** are either in ILLUM or OD.

^^^^ THIS is why real PvP'ers are debating this choice. I don't PvP just to spend all my time LOOKING for fights, I like spending my time actually fighting.

But as I asked earlier...if open world kills on regular planets don't give Commendations...that is a HUGE deal...no one is going to waste as much time ganking in lowbie planets, they WILL spend there time in Illum/OD...so there really is no point then in rolling PvE.

I'm sorry, but the thought of going PvE server for world PvP is just silly

attacking someone in the world is not necessarily ganking nor is it unfair--PvP while leveling is often quite fun

furthermore, the most fun world PvP is inevitably stuff that happens spontaneously. Designated areas are just like warzones

A) if you are flagged for PvP on a PvE server you can be attacked anywhere.

B) if you played DAoC you most likely played on a PvE server. WoW is the only reason people automatically assume "PvE Server = Raiding Carebears"

C) 85% of a PvP server is ganking lowbies...omgz so fun

D) people being spread out is a HUGE issue...you're gonna spend 80% of your time roaming planets just to find fights.

"Hmm planet A is dead right now, guess ill check planet B. Hmm planet B is dead, guess ill check planet C...**** im at planet J and its still dead, guess ill go check Illum now...**** Planet A has some action...damnit I took to long, now the actions back at planet G."

PvE server = hmm these *********** are either in ILLUM or OD.

^^^^ THIS is why real PvP'ers are debating this choice. I don't PvP just to spend all my time LOOKING for fights, I like spending my time actually fighting.

But as I asked earlier...if open world kills on regular planets don't give Commendations...that is a HUGE deal...no one is going to waste as much time ganking in lowbie planets, they WILL spend there time in Illum/OD...so there really is no point then in rolling PvE.

A. But you can't attack other people... and most people will just ignore you and/or carebear dance with you... unless they gang up to super zerg you for being a *******.

B. Way to confuse one of the godfathers of RvR with anything out today, especially TOR...

C. Then I guess you know where to find people eh? Plus its mostly only during the first 30-60 days when fresh 50's come back to flex their nuts. And even on PvP servers TOR has a pretty generous safe launch pad. You'll be in your 20s before you ever have the chance to see someone outside a warzone... and if you just can't take it, swap instances.

D. Nice number you came up with there.... but whats your alternative? Flag yourself and spend 99.999% of your time running around Emote begging people to attack you? If you think its going to be that hard to find people on a PvP server what in god's name makes you think it'll be any easier on a PvE server?

ITS NOT LIKE PEOPLE ON A PVP SEVER ARE COCKBLOCKED FROM ENTERING ILLUM!

Seriously, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you really want a shred of real PvP past launch.

PvE server for sure... Concentrated RvR and no pointless newb camping? Sign me in!

PvE servers having better PvP is almost ensured, really.

You mean like all the "Concentrated RvR" that goes on in WoW's RvR (ghost town) zones?

Again, it'll be there at the start, because its new, and PvE players like grinding faction, but it wont last.

A. But you can't attack other people... and most people will just ignore you and/or carebear dance with you... unless they gang up to super zerg you for being a *******.

Ganking people who are leveling, not my idea of fun...ESPECIALLY if you get ZERO rewards, ie no commendations. "Cool i killed you, and got nothing, now you will respawn with a medical droid in ur exact same location!" What a great reason to roll on a PvP server!! im SOLD!

B. Way to confuse one of the godfathers of RvR with anything out today, especially TOR...

um, every server on DAoC, MINUS mordred/andred was a PvE server. And it worked WELL. All the action was in RvR zones, not in the lowbie leveling zones. No roaming around for a year to find fights like on Mordred...you went to the RvR zone, you found fights, end of story.

D. Nice number you came up with there.... but whats your alternative? Flag yourself and spend 99.999% of your time running around Emote begging people to attack you? If you think its going to be that hard to find people on a PvP server what in god's name makes you think it'll be any easier on a PvE server?

Um did you really just suggest that PvE servers only form of PVP comes from flagging themselves LOL?? Buddy PvE server PvP WILL BE in ILLUM and OD. Um the fact that all PvP will be concentrated into these two LARGE zones makes it 100x easier than what you will be doing. What part of SPREAD THE **** OUT on PvP server vs CONCENTRATED on PvE are you not understanding?

You mean like all the "Concentrated RvR" that goes on in WoW's RvR (ghost town) zones?

WoW is ENTIRELY a ghost town, seeing as how there is ZERO reason to leave your main city. queue for BG's, queue for Arena...why step foot outside org? SWTOR gives a SLIGHT incentive to world pvp, and thats why a lot of people are interested in it, as opposed to just sitting and mindlessly doing Warzones 24/7 until you grind out your gear.

Warzone's already take a HUGE chunk of players on PvP and PvE servers...why? because it is the FASTEST way and all you do is sit in ur city and mindlessly queue over and over to grind out your PvP gear.

Based on the chunk of people that WZ's takes, the main question i ask myself is "Do you really want whats left of PvP'ers to be spread out throughout the entire galaxy like on a PvP server...or would you rather have them all in either ILLUM or OD?"

Edited by Wohast

You really need to work on how you reply to posts... that was annoying to read.

Listen its clear you were sold on the idea that everyone is rolling on a PvE server for the hardcore PvP from the beginning. So theres not much I can do here other than poke more holes in your logical fallacies for anyone else coming by.

Ganking people who are leveling, not my idea of fun...ESPECIALLY if you get ZERO rewards, ie no commendations. "Cool i killed you, and got nothing, now you will respawn with a medical droid in ur exact same location!" What a great reason to roll on a PvP server!! im SOLD!

Your main complaint is being able to find people to fight in PvP... you said 85% of a PvP server is ganking lowbies... but nobody forces you to do that, and if 85% of the player base is out ganking lowbies (impossible ratio btw) then you know exactly where to find lots of people to Open World PvP with! Which makes a PvP server the clear choice!

um, every server on DAoC, MINUS mordred/andred was a PvE server. And it worked WELL. All the action was in RvR zones, not in the lowbie leveling zones. No roaming around for a year to find fights like on Mordred...you went to the RvR zone, you found fights, end of story.

This game is nothing like DAOC. Where is my keep? Where are my relics to defend? Where is my realm renown? Where are my 3 factions and shifting alliances? Oh its over there on the repetitive instanced planet, Alterac Valley In Space, which has none of those.

Um did you really just suggest that PvE servers only form of PVP comes from flagging themselves LOL?? Buddy PvE server PvP WILL BE in ILLUM and OD. Um the fact that all PvP will be concentrated into these two LARGE zones makes it 100x easier than what you will be doing. What part of SPREAD THE **** OUT on PvP server vs CONCENTRATED on PvE are you not understanding?

No, i'm explaining the differences between PvE and PvP since thats the topic we're discussing. DO U THINK U CAN'T QUE 4 WARZONE ON A PVP SERVER??? HUEHUEHUE010101!

And again you're making this shot in the dark assumption that everyone rolling on a PvE server is doing it for....... PVP! I don't get it... TOR isn't even being marketed as a real PvP game. Again I think you're in for a rude awakening... because there is 0 doubt about anyone rolling on a PvP server being there for any reason other than.... PVP! So when I log on to my FULL pop PvP sever I KNOW i'm in for tons of PvP and I get to do it wherever I want. People roll on PvE for a whole host of reasons.

WoW is ENTIRELY a ghost town, seeing as how there is ZERO reason to leave your main city. queue for BG's, queue for Arena...why step foot outside org? SWTOR gives a SLIGHT incentive to world pvp, and thats why a lot of people are interested in it, as opposed to just sitting and mindlessly doing Warzones 24/7 until you grind out your gear.

And here you made my point perfectly. This is what PvP on a PvE server will look like 2-3 months from now. Or do you not know about Wintergrasp and Tol Barad? And I wont even get into the 100% fail, mini PvP zones they tacked on during Vanilla (Plagueland towers) and BC (a few football field sized plots of land that had PvP objectives).

Edited by Kromzor

Again, it'll be there at the start, because its new, and PvE players like grinding faction, but it wont last.

Coming from WAR PvE server there was certainly no shortage of ZvZ action in T4.

Though WAR RvR rocks the crap out of what SWTOR has.

I myself am leaning more towards a pve server, even though i enjoy pvp. Why ?

Well, in my experience, pvp servers have alot of ganking , and the only places where pvp will be somewhat fair will be places like illum etc.

Another thing i noticed is that in time, pvp servers get a greater server imbalance in due time, because eventually 1 side will overpower the other most of the time, and the losing side will lose players.

Ofcourse, this happening in one game doesn't mean it will happen here, but it could happen :p

Coming from WAR PvE server there was certainly no shortage of ZvZ action in T4.

Though WAR RvR rocks the crap out of what SWTOR has.

But WAR wasn't a PvE game was it? It was an RvR game, like DAOC.

TOR is going to have a completely different crowd because like WOW or Rift it is at its heart a PvE game.

This doesn't mean you can't find PvE in an RvR game or PvP in a PvE game... but it does give you a good window into the mindset of the majority of people who will be playing those games.

And the question is; In a PvE game will I find better PvP on a PvE server or a PvP server server? The obvious answer is inside the question itself.