View Single Post

pdxmarcos
12.23.2011 , 11:16 AM | #29
First off, I'm glad to see that so many people are looking at the data, but there are a few of you that are misinterpreting the data so I'll try my best to add some clarity.

Companions Companions do receive time discounts on all missions. The break points were determined by measuring various data points as leveling companion affection. The listed time to complete a mission is static on each mission and does not change, but when you send out your companion the time until they return fluctuates based upon their affection level. We measured the time required to send them out on missions compared to what the listed time and Malthrin was able to determine the formula for the break points in time discounts.

Mission failure Including mission failures was something I initially considered, but decided to exclude them in the end. My justification for doing so is because they are avoidable once you level past their failure level. The UI is not very effective at the moment at conveying that you may see a mission failure if you send your companion out on a Orange, but the mission will not fail if it is listed in yellow (not 100% sure here), green, or grey.

Nerfs We are not seeing any demonstrable nerfs to slicing profitability. What you need to keep in mind is that the range on the credits received is pretty big, but in the long run the average profitability is pretty strong for the missions at the bottom of the list and we have strong data set to show that they are consistently profitable. Regardless, we will continue to monitor the profitability of slicing to see if we observe any nerfs.

Should it be nerfed? - Ultimately the scope of this spreadsheet was to assume that you were max slicing and how to maximize the profitability on your slicing missions with regard to gaining credit boxes. In the long run though, the augments are going to be the real cash cow of slicing. Once people are at max level and want to improve their gear with augments, slicing will play a big role in allowing people to do that and that is where the profitability will come from. Credit boxes are the easy way to inject credits into a brand new game without devaluing the currency completely. The problem is that the perception that 100,000 credits is a lot of currency, but it isnt. Think of it like a penny. 100,000 pennies is worth $1,000 and while it may seem like a lot of money, its not going to let you retire.

I imagine that as we move forward in the game, people are going to realize that the perceived value of credits is overestimated.