Golden Guide - Voidstar

Polymerize

In my WZ experience, it turns out that this strategy only works against a) bad players and/or b) players who aren't using classes. I strongly discourage it.

Decent players, if allowed to live, will hold a transition mode force field for up to 2 minutes; I do it all the time on my Scrapper because people just try to CC without actually killing me. That lets me restealth, drop a bombardment on one console, and then harass the other console. And that's even after every other ally on my side is dead on the transition side of the force field, let alone all the time wasted killing those allies.

Here is a list of classes that really need to be killed because a decent player will be able to stop a force field opening. Heck, even an average or subpar player can use these classes to really mess up your transition mode offense.

1) Scoundrels: Evasion --> Disappearing Act is a nightmare for attackers. So is Flashbang. So is Freighter Flyby. So is Thermal Grenade. So is Sleep Dart.

2) Shadows: Shroud (Especially 5second Shroud) + Speed + Force Cloak is also a nightmare. Mind Maze is also just as problematic as Sleep Dart (although it is less spammable)

3) Sages: Fadeout Speed removes all slows/snares and grants slow/snare immunity. Good Bubbling can keep a team locked down for 6 seconds on its own. Force Wave has a big range, doesn't have to be aimed, and takes everyone off the door.

4) Marauders (don't know the Pub ability names): Intimidating Roar + Force Camouflage + Charge can really keep the attackers tangled up.

Just trying to CC lock these guys is a great way to get your offense stuck for 2+ minutes on a bridge. Just focusing offensive resources into murdering them outright gets you the bridge in 30-45 seconds.

Ultimately, it's a gamble. If you kill them, you have a much better chance of taking the bridge in a much shorter time. But then you won't get your awesome transition push against understaffed defenders on a door; everyone will have just respawned. On the other hand, if you don't kill the defenders in transition mode, you might be able to make a nice transition attack past the bridge...or you might get tangled up and waste a ton of time. The gamble is still balanced on the side of the first option, just because if you took the first door you probably have the resources to take the second door given enough time. Gambling on the second option can really cut into that badly needed time.

I state that if your Transition is halted, you should proceed to wipe out all Defenders. I stated the specific situation you allude to here:

"Transition Mode starts the moment after the first set of bomb doors have blown up. Transition Mode will stay in effect until either your team's transition is halted, or your team reaches the end of the map and arms the last set of bomb doors.

Examples of a team's transition getting halted.

> Your team arms the first bomb. It blows up. Your team transitions poorly and does not open the bridge before Defenders get to the bridge. You must now wipe out all of the Defenders in order to open the bridge.

> Your team arms the second bomb. It blows up. Your team transitions poorly and does not open the barriers before Defenders get to the barriers. You must now wipe out all of the Defenders in order to open the barriers.

> Your team arms the first bomb. It blows up. Your team transitions well to the bridge and opens it before Defenders can get to the bridge. One of your teammates does not know the rules of Transition Mode and he kills a Defender after the first set of bomb doors have blown up. Your teammates that have made it across the bridge already do not successfully arm the second set of bomb doors because the Defender that was killed has already spawned and stalls your team until the rest of the Defenders make it across the bridge. You must now apply your Attacker's Golden Rules in order to arm the second set of bomb doors because your transition has been halted."

So if the Transition Mode is halted, you must kill all Defenders; and then revert back to your Golden Rules.

Edited by Polymerize

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I state that if your Transition is halted, you should proceed to wipe out all Defenders. I stated the specific situation you allude to here:

I am saying that this is a misleading rule because the defenders, if they are good, will ALWAYS halt a transition. The alternate situation (them not halting you) never happens. Unless you are playing against a bad team, there will never be an opportunity to just stun and CC the defenders as you take a door. The Ops/Sins/Sorcs/Mars will just mess up the transition and eat time.

Your other rules are (more or less) universalizable regardless of the skill of the enemy team. Against both good and bad teams, you always want to time your kills on offense, protect the door intelligently on defense, and be aware of the respawn timer for both (yes, there's more to it than that, but I am just summarizing).

But the transition rule should just be "Kill the defenders" instead of "Kill the defenders if halted"; they will ALWAYS halt you unless they are bad. If they are bad, your killing them isn't going to make you lose the match. If they are good, attempts to halt them are just going to waste your own offensive clock. If players waste their time trying to CC good defenders, not killing them immediately, the defenders will have that much more HP with which they can work to mess up the offense.

I am saying that this is a misleading rule because the defenders, if they are good, will ALWAYS halt a transition. The alternate situation (them not halting you) never happens. Unless you are playing against a bad team, there will never be an opportunity to just stun and CC the defenders as you take a door. The Ops/Sins/Sorcs/Mars will just mess up the transition and eat time.

Your other rules are (more or less) universalizable regardless of the skill of the enemy team. Against both good and bad teams, you always want to time your kills on offense, protect the door intelligently on defense, and be aware of the respawn timer for both (yes, there's more to it than that, but I am just summarizing).

But the transition rule should just be "Kill the defenders" instead of "Kill the defenders if halted"; they will ALWAYS halt you unless they are bad. If they are bad, your killing them isn't going to make you lose the match. If they are good, attempts to halt them are just going to waste your own offensive clock. If players waste their time trying to CC good defenders, not killing them immediately, the defenders will have that much more HP with which they can work to mess up the offense.

I understand the points you are making.

Let me start by stating that this guide is not specifically for RATED teams; it is for PUGs and RATEDs alike.

That being said, let me say that I agree with you. If both teams are doing EVERYTHING they should be doing; Attackers should not be able to Transition through the map to the next bomb and arm it without being halted. Why is this? It is because Attackers and Defenders have equal advantage to progress to the bridge after the first set of doors have been armed (with the slight disadvantage to Defenders who die after during the 20 seconds that the bomb is ticking down since they will be in their respawn chamber), because both teams will have an equal amount of CC to use at their discretion.

So yes, two good teams versus each other will try to counteract each other.

Defenders will use CC to stop Attackers from progressing; therefore halting them.

Attackers will use CC to stall Defenders in order to Transition.

The fact of the matter is, teams are not doing EVERYTHING they should in order to give themselves the biggest advantage they can get to prepare for a Transition. I've watched numerous Rated matches in which after a bomb is armed, Attackers and Defenders essentially split sides of the map and progress up opposite corridors to the bridge.

>Defenders down the corridor on the side opposite of the bomb that is armed.

>Attackers down the corridor on the side that the bomb was armed.

Attackers are too concerned with the bomb getting disarmed.

If a bomb ever gets disarmed, its a complete fluke. 3 Attackers should be able to hold off 7 Defenders from trying to disarm the bomb.

Defenders are too concerned with dying in the attempt to disarm the bomb or stall the Attackers from progressing right after the bomb has blown.

They will spawn without being able to try to stall the Attackers at the bridge because they spawn on the other side of the bridge.

I was going to include in this as I continued to beef up the guide, but you beat me to the issue.

As Attackers, you need to prepare for Transition Mode to begin.

Attackers should send teammates down both corridors. Attackers should never send everyone down one corridor in the attempt to choke the Defenders by the damage buff (by the bridge) because each team will be progressing up the map equally fast and Attackers will easily be halted if they try to CC Defenders at that late of a point in the Transition.

Attackers should try to CC/stall the Defenders at the door that was not armed as soon as the doors blow off.

Once again, Defenders do not want to go to the side that was armed because they will be afraid to die right after the bomb is armed because they will spawn and be out of the battle for an extended period of time. (this could actually work to their advantage ultimately, but will it lead to the Attackers getting the bridge quicker.)

So in the situation that Defenders try to counteract the Attackers stalling the side of the map that was not armed by sending Defenders to stall the side that was armed, at that point you will want to kill the Defender(s) that try to stall the Attackers. I rarely see this situation though it is the correct move for Defenders to make.

This will be explained in much more detail in the guide; such as what Classes would be best to send as Attackers to stall the Defenders on the side of the map that was not armed, what should you do as Attackers if the Defenders are alive and halt you at the bridge, what should you do as Defenders if you do stall the Attackers at the bridge, how Attackers/Defender should prepare for Transition Mode during the 20 seconds the bomb is ticking, etc.

So ktkenshin, in a short answer to: "I am saying that this is a misleading rule because the defenders, if they are good, will ALWAYS halt a transition." I will state that if both teams are doing as they should and are splitting up down both corridors, no good team will allow another team to Transition past the bridge without any interruption.

But until Defending teams prepare for Transition Mode by sending players down both corridors, Transitions will have a considerable percentage of being successful by Attackers. This is because Attacking teams do send people down both corridors because they realize even if they die it will be an advantage to them since they will spawn further ahead in the map.

So yes, if the 'accepted strategy' by all Rated teams changes from sending Defenders down the -safe side- to sending Defenders down both sides, Transition Mode will be hard to implement in RATEDs.

Thanks for bringing up some valid points for RATEDs!

Edited by Polymerize

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent guide. I wish more people played with the golden rule kept in mind. I feel like defenders chase kills far too much.

Practically no ones knows or uses the Golden Rules for Attackers because you have to do more than roll your face on the keyboard; you actually have to use your brain and be aware of more things than pushing buttons.

Majority of decent players follow the Golden Rules for Defenders to an extent, not as well as they probably could though.

Albeit, most people will say they follow all of these things already. Makes me LOL. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I appreciate it, really.

& yes I'll be working my way towards class specific tips, except for snipers! Because I have never rolled a sniper; perhaps you could post some info with regards to that?

Snipers are great, roll one, right now. Thats an order

Practically no ones knows or uses the Golden Rules for Attackers because you have to do more than roll your face on the keyboard; you actually have to use your brain and be aware of more things than pushing buttons.

voice chat is priceless for this. On offense ranged classes are best for keeping one eye on the door and calling out the ticks. The off door guard can also watch the respawn and call out ticks.

Great guide Poly.

Hey,

My guild recently started a ranked team and we noticed we needed to work on our strategies in the voidstar. Thanks a bunch for making this guide, it's mandatory reading for all members for our team now ;)

Hope you find time to add some more info to it soon :D

Hey,

My guild recently started a ranked team and we noticed we needed to work on our strategies in the voidstar. Thanks a bunch for making this guide, it's mandatory reading for all members for our team now ;)

Hope you find time to add some more info to it soon :D

This is the **** I'm talking about.

Thank you for recognizing the value of this thread. If your team can implement what is discussed in this thread then it will be the only team on this game that does this.

The 'best' Guilds on the game are just DPS heroes who think they are God's gift to earch because they can push buttons, have decent synergy together, and play a tad objectively on rare occasions.

Awareness/Intelligence/Tact is a rare skill to have, because it's not easy.

I'm on a rant because I've been playing with horribads the past 5 hours. :mad: I apologize.

GL to your guild; give me some feedback on how things fair. If your guildies would like to leave feedback here that would be great too. Need a lot of motivation to post things on these forums because usually it feels like its all for naught. :(

Attackers can instantly respawn meanwhile defenders just cannot ?

Why is this so un-balanced ?

With the instand respawn rate the possibility to get through the doors is imho much, much higher than to defend them,

because instant respawn = instand attack,

meanwhile defenders are hindered from defending by not being able to instantly respawn.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer