Onslaught Expansion Discussion Thread

Pietrastor

On face value on paper, I really am excited about the 6.0 Expansion. For all of 5.0 faults and there where many, I feel like the BW SWTOR team is trying to make a real expansion based on players feedback.

1. We got new planets! Players wanted new planets, some didn’t get the planet they wanted (neither did I) but check mark on the list. Another check mark, we get to go back to one of the “classic” planets. I heard rumblings players wanted that on the list.

2. Group content, many, many players play MMO for group play. Flash points! I don’t live on them, not my thing, that’s OK, I know many guild mates that do. Check mark!

3. Story…after 5.0, I believe, wrongly maybe (I don’t care), that the story can only improve. It’s classic story, IMP vs PUB! I have to believe.

4. A new RACE. It’s not on my list, I don’t care about race…that much, maybe a little. Still, players were asking for it and now it’s on the list. Check! Side note: A new class would have been AWESOME!!!

5. New OP. It’s an MMO, raiding is big deal for some (it’s a rather loud voice). I like raiding. I’m hoping for more classic DF/DP ops then GODS but heck I’ll take it and run with it. It’s a double Check Mark; we don’t even have to wait months for it to be done. We get it when 6.0 drops (crosses fingers that holds up). Side note: I’m ok if we only get SM/HM, skipping NIM (later date maybe), I’m ok with (NIM raiders are not ok with this…HA!).

6. And lastly GEAR…oh boy, that a big one. That’s all we did in 5.0 is scream about the gear in all of its variation, iterations and due overs during 5.0. New sets, multiple sets bonus, power creep (Tactical) item. They tell us, we play OUR way, we get items. How is this a bad thing? I don’t know myself. On paper, it sounds awesome. In game, man, I have one Q? How are they going to balance it. But a huge check mark from me at least

7. That’s a big list if you get down to it and some items on the list are not covered and that’s not going to sit well with some players me included. Oh, well…

Hopefully the paper value lives up to my own expectations

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the trailer?!

I need something to get my buddies pumped. >.<

After the Ossus grind, they're giving us an entirely new gear grind? RNG is exciting!

Not to be funny. But what do you think the point of MMO's is?

Edited by Nemmar

New places to go is always good and them trying something different with expanded horizontal gearing has me intrigued. Guess the plan is to have that and to expand it going forward instead of a Ossus item rating bump. Guess we'll see how it works out. Poor guy doing PvP balance heh.

Also lol at the same discussions re CGI trailer every expansion. You gotta spend money to make money. If you're here now you'll be here come September no matter what. Word of mouth that no trailer enabled them to have 7,76% more content won't grab the attention of people frequenting gaming news sites and forums that have been gone for years or never tried this game before however. At the end of the day it's basically a question of math, did past expansions that had a trailer show enough of a sub bump to make it worthwhile to still market this product heavily. If you like this game you should be hoping that's a yes. When investing in exposure becomes a waste of money you're seeing the end of the road.

Edited by aeterno

Very excited.. finally something that is more than what we got so far... but please for the love of god.. a new meta.. please a NEW META and class balance. I see nothing about that....

Im kinda concerned about that as well. If anything, we need to reduce amount of abilities, lower ttk. Overall, even snave mentioned that, classes lost their uniqueness. Adding more ****** abilities definately aint gonna help with that.

Im kinda concerned about that as well. If anything, we need to reduce amount of abilities, lower ttk. Overall, even snave mentioned that, classes lost their uniqueness. Adding more ****** abilities definately aint gonna help with that.

We do NOT need to reduce the amount of abilities.

I'm willing to walk into the expansion with an open mind.

No one's twisting the arms of anyone to continue to play, so people this far out spewing vomit all over the place of how bad it'll be, set aside your prejudices and wait to see what happens.

If you are so far jaded that no content update could possibly please you, or only the most outrageously expensive, over-engineered content would even come close, then you're obviously looking for entertainment in the wrong venue. Pick up your skateboard and go outside for a while.

After the Ossus grind, they're giving us an entirely new gear grind? RNG is exciting!

I wasn't there but from what I read, it sounds like they're overhauling the gearing system completely.

But then again on the flip side, the lot was made of this new tactical gear slot, so it led to some confusion of whether the system would be overhauled, or whether they are counting on this one new slot to do it for them.

Keep in mind everyone they have an official stream coming soon this week that will talk Dantooine and now 6.0 as well. Once Dantooine drops, they will probably go all in on 6.0 details as it gets closer.

Frankly, this whole thing was just to hype it.

Is BioWare follows their usual pattern oh, we won't even talk about it until 3 months before release.

The only thing I don't like in that announcement is the "undermine and sabotage" bit ... which says to me that no they're not going to finally let us switch factions and we're still going to be doing the lame sabotage of, "Oh look I'm murdering Jedi by the thousands but I'm totally still sabotaging the Empire!" ... or vice versa.

yea this I am concerned about. I have one Sith that was supposed to be sabotaging the empire but yet the dailies still have her destroying crops, etc which is the reason I have made the choice for her not to do the Ossus.

I saw the word "pirate" and I was in. I like what they are offering especially their new "play your way" philosophy which seems like they've listened to and taken action on all of our feedback; I also like that I was wrong in predicting the new expansion would not happen before December. As a story player first and unranked PvPer second I'm happy about that. I saw the bit about remaining

loyal to your faction or work to undermine and sabotage their war efforts
and was disappointed, however, later on it says:
the Alliance Commander has the chance to tip the scales in favor of either faction, committing their elite forces to decide the fate of the galaxy
which suggests that those of us who chose to support the other side will be able to properly align our alliance with the other faction, since we are still the alliance commander. I really hope that happens.

The only thing missing was some information on whether our favourite companions will be involved (rather than the companion focus remaining on Lana and new ones). I want to do the new expansion with the companion of MY choosing not theirs. If they must shove a new companion on us, then it should be as an additional third member and not instead of one of my companions. Players should then be able to choose at the end of the new companion's story involvement whether they want to keep them or not (and I'm referring to Anri and Tau neither of which I want). If they're having issues funding voice actors, get new ones; voice actors are very talented and I'm pretty sure many will be able to give good approximations of companion voices (where needed). Finally as someone else asked, where/what is happening with Zenith/Theran/Scourge and Kira?

Edited by Sarova

"The Operation will be available at launch, so gather your friends and prepare for one of the galaxy’s greatest challenges"

You're making an op between now and september, but took an entire year to release gods one boss at a time?

I expect they've been working on it for quite awhile now which is why there has been so little content released the past couple of years.

"Our philosophy for this expansion is, play your way"

I like this philosophy...

I like this philosophy too, but I'm highly skeptical about them meaning it. This is the team that gutted Conquest since we weren't playing it the way they wanted us to after all.

"Taking these new items, players will be able to pair them with numerous new set bonuses to choose from, including general sets that can be used by everyone."

New gear slot... so like an enhancement?

Build defining/ability altering - this seems very difficult to balance. How are you going to make every potential build defining item good but not too good?

Numerous new set bonuses - we are getting a choice of set bonuses? Multiple for each class? Spec specific?

General sets that can be used by everyone?

Could be interesting, could be a disaster. Everyone had better pile on the PTS so we can get all of this thoroughly tested for both balance and bugs.

"These item sets can be acquired through multiple paths!"

I like the idea of multiple paths...

Does this mean the new expansion is adding these new set "items" and "tactical items" in lieu of a tier increase? I.e. is 258 still going to be the max? If so, will it remain locked behind Osssus? I'm very confused and concerned...

Again, this sounds great! However, often their idea of "multiple paths" doesn't match mine. Sometimes a "path" is theoretically possible, but not much more than that.

I'm hoping that since they were stressing horizontal progression that they are adding the new tactical slot to all old shells and will leave 258 as the top tier. The next stream should clear some things up. (And maybe give some more details about the story.)

The new equipment system scares me .... I hope there will be more details soon.

This is what concerns me as well. I'm optimistic the expansion will be great, but if it's anything that resembles WoW's gearing system, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Many players are coming over because of how badly WoW's system failed. SWTOR should do their own thing.

This is what concerns me as well. I'm optimistic the expansion will be great, but if it's anything that resembles WoW's gearing system, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Many players are coming over because of how badly WoW's system failed. SWTOR should do their own thing.

Regarding WoW ... which XP are you refering to as failed? (not trying to nit-pick... just currious). If it's the last version Battle for Azeroth ? Then yes I agree.

However, Leigion was pretty good. The gearing system was one that worked pretty good. getting into larger 25+ groups was VERY easy to get into (I was never turned down and always managed to survive regardless of the level of difficulty) .. and the drops were reasonable.

But the last one: Battle for Azeroth was a confused mess with poor gearing system. Besides that I got sick and tired of the poor companions which were for the most part either flea-bitten idiots or drunken dwarfs ... UGH ! I'm glad I left.

Much better over here !

Edited by OlBuzzard

Mainly I hope that the gearing system, especially concerning pvp, will be changed from the current one. (I've discussed it before, among other places, here.) It's the main reason I and multiple of my friends haven't been playing the game for months now.

I'm a little worried about the new abilities and the very possible negative impact they may have on pvp.

"Reworked itemisation" also sounds worrisome, but hopefully that means better gearing system.

Still, good to have an actual announcement and date. And two new planets sounds potentially nice, and of course Jedi v Sith story is a good direction.

Edited by Neulwen

The new gearing is the thing that has me the most excited AND the most worried. The way it's been described so far really concerns me, especially with the numerous new stats added to armors etc. Remember how much trouble just having the single extra stat of expertise caused? And now they are going to add more types! it sounds like we about to enter a new era of nightmare balancing from unintended min/max'ing. The new abilities/stats will likely be nerfed / buffed over and over, during the course of the proceeding year or two after the expansion drop.

Regarding WoW ... which XP are you refering to as failed? (not trying to nit-pick... just currious). If it's the last version Battle for Azeroth ? Then yes I agree.

However, Leigion was pretty good. The gearing system was one that worked pretty good. getting into larger 25+ groups was VERY easy to get into (I was never turned down and always managed to survive regardless of the level of difficulty) .. and the drops were reasonable.

But the last one: Battle for Azeroth was a confused mess with poor gearing system. Besides that I got sick and tired of the poor companions which were for the most part either flea-bitten idiots or drunken dwarfs ... UGH ! I'm glad I left.

Much better over here !

I think the reason it worked in Legion is because part of the lore and a main feature story-wise was the development of artifact weapons. The way they tried to continue the trend in BfA with Azerite gear is atrocious and one of the main criticisms they've been facing. But Legion had plenty of problems too including the acquiring of Legendaries and having the ones you get depend on RNG. That was a mess.

But in general, gearing has progressively gotten worse in that game. Warforging, titanforging, the removal of tier sets, loot distributions, and so on. That's why I think SWTOR would do better to maintain their own system rather than copying a failed one. Of course, we don't know enough details yet to validate these concerns, but I do hope the devs are listening and tread carefully with the changes they're making to gearing.

Edited by Drenovade