View Single Post

psandak
09.22.2017 , 07:24 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by PassMeNot View Post
Went ahead and subbed to the game yesterday and as a new player (2 days), are there certain skills I should prioritize over others. I currently have chosen Slicing, Artifice and Cybertech. I have been trying to research and read as much as I can, but the game has so many facets. I am mainly PVE, so I would be using crew skills to primarily earn credits, along with doing Heroic missions as well. Any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.
I have several guides linked in my signature. I recommend: Understanding Crew Skills, Best Crew Skills, and Crew Skills Money Making. Some are lengthy reads so here's the short version...

First of all, as a subscriber, each character can now have THREE crew skills, but again only one crafting skill. A standard configuration is crafting skill, the gathering skill that feeds that crafting skill, and the mission skill that best feeds that crafting skill. See the Understanding Crew Skills guide for details as to which gathering and mission skills feed what crafting skills.

That said, crafting for profit has a significant up front investment. In addition, in my long experience, having that standard setup of crafting/gathering/mission is simply insufficient to maintain proper supply lines; you will find that you are consistently running out of materials; you need several non-crafter characters to feed your crafters materials.

Therefore, my standing advice to all new players who wish to make good credits through crew skills right away is to take two gathering skills and slicing. Slicing nodes are free credits, and you can sell the gathering skill materials you acquire on the GTN.

Alternatively, using the same setup (2 gathering and slicing), you can save those materials, stock up and then when you have eight companions to send out on crew skills (character level 66+), and you have a million or more credits from leveling characters through the story, then you start swapping out slicing for other mission skills (but not ALL slicing, because most crafting skills do need slicing in addition to other mission skills). Then once you have sufficient mission skill materials stored up, then you swap out some gathering skills for crafting skills.

The short, short version: my standing advice to all new players who wish to make good credits through crew skills right away is to take two gathering skills and slicing.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date