The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Happy 5th Birthday SFC!!!!!!

Week of June 2, 2017

History–Personal or World, history informs your character’s actions. What part of the past shapes their present? Are they aware of it? How so? This week, consider your character’s history and its influence.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust. Post it anyways!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Monuments: Beings everywhere create monuments. They can be statues or walls or great tomes or endowments to museums. Made to heroes, to wars, to governments, to benefactors, to saints, or even stupidity. They may be ancient or recent or forgotten. They may be revered or reviled, or maybe even both at once. Perhaps monuments to your character, desired or not, known or not. Write about your character’s interactions with monuments.

Out of Time: Often, there seems not enough time in a day to get done what we need or want to do. Time management gurus to the contrary, sometimes there’s just too much going on. What about your characters? Everyone has to prioritize and has different reasons for setting priorities as they do. In fiction you can avoid all schedule conflicts, but where’s the fun in that? Write about a time your character had to make a choice about what gets done and what gets left for later, or not done at all. This prompt courtesy (in a roundabout way) of @brightephemera.

Edited by alaurin

Week of June 9, 2017

Hope–Hope, the final thing in Pandora’s Box. Hope is what keeps people going when the night is dark and the journey is hard. Hope for a brighter day and a better way. Or just something different, some change. To fall in love, to find redemption, to find a purpose. Even a doomsday cult has hope, though outsiders don’t understand it. What does your character hope for?

Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust.....post it anyway!

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

First Impressions–of someone else: Our characters encounter many others during the course of their stories. Some become strong allies, loyal companions. Others implacable enemies. Some end up just plain useless. Still, it’s hard to size up someone in a glance. Write about your character’s initial encounter with someone who becomes important later in their story.

You Were the Chosen One! Or Were You?: Game stories often cast your character as The Chosen One, the One destined to Fix All The Problems. But not every character fits that trope, and not every one should. Does yours? Or not? Emphatically not? Or maybe they are, but not in the way anyone hoped. Bringing balance to the Force by reducing its practitioners to two Dark and Two Light certainly fulfills the prophecy, but probably wasn’t what Yoda expected. Where does your character fall on the Chosen One continuum? How do they show that in their story?

Hi there, I've been reading this thread for a long time. I only just recently decided to give writing a try and the irritating habits prompt gave me a small idea. So here it is.

Prompt: Irritating Habits

Character: Keniel Voralla (Trooper)

Timeline: Three days after Taris

Spoilers: None

There it was again, Elara could smell it as soon as she exited the crew quarters. The nauseating smell of cigarette smoke. She liked her new CO a great deal, on Taris, Keniel had been kind and surprisingly friendly, despite her imperial heritage. However in the three days she had spent aboard the Thunderclap, it had become abundantly clear that even though he was only twenty six, the mirialan was a heavy smoker. So far he had spent the flight to Nar Shaddaa in the living area, reading various reports and it seemed as if there was constantly a cigarette in his hand. This had created a cycle of the living area either smelling like smoke, or cheap air freshener that C2-N2 coated the area with. Elara couldn’t take it anymore, she had to say something. Making her way through the main soom, she found Keniel in the kitchen brewing a cup of caf, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

“Sir could I speak to you for a moment.” Keniel turned to face her and gave a small smile.

“Of course Dorne, what can I help you with?”

“Sir, I don’t mean to be overly curt, however I was wondering if you could...Refrain, from smoking in the living area. Truth be told the smell is quite unpleasant.” Keniel sighed.

“Fine. I guess I’ll be in the cargo hold then.” And with that he left for the cargo hold, mug of caf in one hand, cigarette in the other.

@annualintel: Glad to hear you're a long time reader and congrats on finally posting! We have a very nice and supportive little community here. I liked your story and it was nice to see Elara speak up about her discomfort. Being newer to the squad and her Imperial accent, I can see why she would be hesitant, but I'm glad she finally said something.....and her new CO didn't seem to take it badly at all, simply relocated without an issue. As a former light smoker (many, many, many years ago) I can tell you that I had no idea how bad my habit smelled until I quit. Now I can't stand to be in a room where someone is or was smoking and I'm so glad that laws were passed barring people from smoking in public buildings. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

Happy Friday!! Have a prompt!

Week of June 16, 2017

Challenge–If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. What’s hard for your character? What challenges do they set for themselves and what ones do they face? Difficulty often reveals a character’s true self. How do they face a challenge?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyways!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Souvenirs: They’re everywhere. Especially at cultural or historical attractions. Models of famous buildings or statues, clothing with maps or slogans, super-slick guidebooks, posters or postcards. Things for visitors to take home. But at its heart, a souvenir is a physical reminder of another place or event. It might be Official or it might be something ordinary that reminds them of where they bought it. It might even be a scar or injury. What kind of souvenirs does your character have? How and where did they get them?

You’re Invited - We talked about the companions who don’t make much sense on our crew. This week let’s look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew. Prompt courtesy of @striges13.

Happy Prompt Day!!

Week of June 23, 2017

Midsummer/Midwinter– It’s the turn of the seasons this week, the longest day for the northern hemisphere and the longest night for the southern hemisphere. What does midsummer or midwinter mean for your character? Alternately, write about your characters longest night or longest day.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust.....post it anyway!

Scent: Humans as a species aren’t known for having a particularly good sense of smell. Despite this, perfumes and scents are incredibly popular, either to hide, replace, or enhance natural odors on both their person and possessions. Does your character care? Do they have a favorite scent? A soap, a perfume, an incense? Do their species’ preferred fragrances turn off others–or smell really good? How do their companions (some of whom may have better olfactory abilities) deal with the profusion of clashing or complimenting scents? Or do they prefer your character au naturel? Credit to Alaurin’s story for inspiring this prompt.

Tests and Examinations - Tests are almost as pervasive as credits: Jedi or Sith trials, ship or vehicle operator’s license, weapons certifications exams, advanced intelligence analysis, basic maths. What kind of tests has your character taken? Did she prepare well or wing it? Pass or fail? What about retakes? Write about your character getting through some of the various testing and certifications he’s encountered.

Prompt - Midsummer

Title - A Breather

Class - Jedi Knight, Smuggler

Spoilers: End of Chapter 1 Knight, Smuggler spoilers

The beaches of Scarif were famous galaxy-wide. The planet was considered one of the jewels of the Outer Rim, and vacations to the planet were exceedingly common, especially during Scarif's summer. The climate was extremely temperate, for a tropical world. Even during the summer, it never got uncomfortably hot. It was, in short, a paradise.

After the defeat of Darth Angral, Rey Holt felt she'd earned some rest. She, her newly-Knighted companion Kira Carsen, and her astromech droid, T7-01 travelled to Scarif together for a weekend of relaxation. As they descended from the skyhook that connected the planet to the orbital docks, Rey let out a deep sigh of contentment. Her muscles were still sore from their exertion in the battle over Tython, but she was used to it.

"This is going to be so great," Kira said. "We haven't had a break since...well, we've never had a break."

Rey grinned, nodded. "I could definitely catch up on my sleep."

The 'lift reached the ground and the doors slid open, allowing Rey, Kira, and Teeseven out onto the central island in this chain. They and the rest of the vacationers stepped out. The cool, crisp island air hit Rey and she breathed it in happily. She and her companions headed for the hotel nearby.

"Rey?"

Rey blinked and turned. Coming toward the hotel from the beach were her sister, Reela Holt, and several companions. She recognized the dark-skinned man accompanying her–Corso Riggs, her friend from Ord Mantell. But she didn't know the other two, a towering Wookiee and a petite woman with sandy hair, cut short and stylishly framing her face.

"Reela!" Rey said. She hugged her sister, who wore her familiar red leather jacket, the same color as her hair. "What are you doing here?"

"Celebrating! Just hit a big payoff," Reela said. She leaned in conspiratorially and lowered her voice. "We did it! We found the treasure of Nok Drayen!"

"No way!"

Reela nodded. "We're loaded."

"Lucky," Kira murmured.

"So, who are your other friends?" Rey asked.

"This is Bowdaar," Reela said. "We picked him up on Nar Shaddaa. Don't let his size fool you; he's a big sweetie."

Bowdaar rumbled. [i am NOT a sweetie.]

"Sure ya are, hon." Reela pointed at the woman. "And this is Risha. She's the one who was guiding us on our quest to find the treasure."

"Nice to meet you both," Rey said.

"You...know a Jedi?" Risha asked.

"Yep." Reela smirked. "This is my sister, Kira-Rey Holt. Her companion, also named Kira–so we usually just call sis 'Rey.' And the droid's T7-01."

"A pleasure," Risha said dryly.

"Don't worry, Rey won't arrest us." Reela chuckled. "That's the nice thing about having family in high places."

"Just don't make me regret it," Rey said, smiling to bely her words.

The two crews stood there for a moment, on the steps of the hotel, awkwardly staring at one another. Corso shifted on his feet, scratched the back of his head, and looked around.

"So," Rey finally said. "I think Kira, Teeseven, and I will get checked in."

"Sounds good." Reela waved. "See you at the beach?"

"You know it."

Rey and her companions headed inside. Well, maybe this little rest wouldn't be quite as...quiet as she had expected. Not with Reela around. But it would be good to catch up with her sister anyway. After all, she was a Jedi. It wasn't like she got to see her family all that much.

Edited by YoshiRaphElan

It's that time of week again!

Week of June 30, 2017

Curve Ball–as writers we plan our characters’ encounters. This week, throw them into something new. Something they didn’t expect. Something they never saw coming. Who panics? Who takes it in stride? Who stumbles but runs with it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust.....post it anyway!

Crossovers and Mashups: Imagine Captain America in the Clone Wars (Captain Republic and the Howling Commandos! Captain Empire!). Or the adventures of Han Solo, dashing rogue, and his best friend Chewbacca the genius-inventor-gorilla in a steampunk galaxy far far away. Padmé as Sleeping Beauty. Star Wars, the soap opera. Star Wars itself is a hodgepodge of bits and influences from ancient mythology, old-time serials, modern sci-fi, and everything in between. Explore some crossovers with other properties or genres and either OCs or canon characters.

Another Day on the Job: Our characters lead pretty interesting lives. Things they consider routine are anything but. So what does one of those days look like? What’s a regular day in the life of a special-forces trooper or Dark Council member? What problems do they face on a day-to-day basis? What unique occupational hazards do they avoid–or what perks do they enjoy? Even an ordinary day for your character is bound to be extraordinary in some way. Write about it.

Prompt - Curve Ball

Title - Response Time

Class - Sith Inquisitor

Spoilers: End of Chapter 1 SI

“Apprentice! What have you done to me?!”

Okay, so Zash tried to kill him. Expected, really. No master was actually nice to a slave, and Joran was under no illusions that he was a free man by any stretch. “The Force shall free me” was just as much a lie as everything else. Every time She allowed for one chain to be broken, She snapped another around his neck a picosecond later. (And yes, the Force was a woman. Joran was quite sure of it. Maybe Zash had something to do with the perception, but now wasn’t the time to mull over philosophy.)

He watched Zash stamp around in the Dashade’s big, top-heavy body, stumbling about like a gutter drunk, ranting angrily about how her concentration was broken and how “that monster” shouldn’t have been able to do that. Joran was trying to figure out how to react.

The rational response would be to use the distraction to run as fast as he could. But that simply wouldn’t do. He’d be running for the rest of his life and that life was likely to be short if he tried. Zash no doubt planned for that contingency anyway.

The properly Sith response would be mustering up all kinds of rage and anger and feelings of betrayal, maybe mixed with fear for his own life so that he could strike Zash down properly while she was distracted. (While Khem was…useful, he was often more “useful” as far away from him as possible) But…no. Fish swam, birds flew, and Sith tried to kill one another. Might as well be angry at water for being wet. The Sith response was expected of him, and Joran never liked doing what was expected of him. He was marked for death already; why not make it as frustrating as possible for his eventual executioners?

Zash continued to rant. Amazing how she was able to do so coherently with those teeth. “Five years of preparation; finding the right person, training them, researching the artifacts, gathering them - wasted!”

Well, yes. She had a point. She needed an apprentice that was powerful enough, but wouldn’t be missed. Finding an isolated spot in the Dark Temple would have also been a challenge. Learning about and acquiring all the necessary artifacts, hiding it right under the noses of all her fellow Sith, disguising her withered features. All very impressive, very clever. She had even requested Khem come along.

Which is why seeing the end result blow up in her face to this degree was hilarious.

He chose a differently rational response. He chose to laugh. “Oh, don’t you know these kinds of things never work the way they’re supposed to? Now, go away and give me Khem back.”

Prompt - Curve Ball

Title - The Dark Side's Favour

Class - Sith Sorcerer

Spoilers: None

"My Lord, we are arriving in the Jarck system and will make planetfall to Seraphim within the hour. Do you have any words for the crew before we arrive?" The Imperial pilot said in a polite tone.

The Sith Lord stood still alike a statue in the shuttle's cockpit, his cold yellow eyes watching the blue expanse of hyperspace travel in front of him. He remained silent, not uttering a single word as he turned his head to the woman that had just spoken to him. His expression was devoid of any warmth of pleasantness.

"The crew has been briefed before we departed, if that has been insufficient motivation for them it is their problem and not mine," he spoke, his voice a perfect mirror of his harsh demeanour. "I am expecting your focus to return to piloting this vessel, immediately, Private," He added in a colder and deeper voice, hinting at a threat that never had been said aloud but was carved into every word spoken nonetheless. It had its desired effect and the blond Sith Lord was satisfied.

"Yes, my Lord, forgive me," the pilot brought out hastily and did not move her head from the machinery in front of her anymore.

Lord Kosmarr, formerly known as Ryssius Lecyllath before he had assumed his Sith name, returned his gaze onto the blue expanse in front of him, that started making place for drawn out stars and eventually the rock called Seraphim. The planet would be less than pleasant to be upon, he was well aware of that, as the entire surface was scarred with volcanic activity and a thick layer of clouds filling the skies. Nonetheless, it was the price he was willing to pay for the knowledge and power that may be hidden within the ash-covered mountains. Lord Kosmarr namely had uncovered the planet's existence in ancient Sith texts he had been studying in the archives of Darth Saizen's estate, whose powerbase he was a part of.

The Sith Lord had uncovered the Sith had once attempted to colonise the wasteland of a planet that was Seraphim, believing they'd be able to master the elements of nature. Naturally they had failed, but not before learning the world was strong in the Dark Side of the Force. When word of it reached the Sith of the Old Empire, prominent Dark Lords had decided the black mountains of Seraphim would house their remains once their time would come. The first tombs were built a few years after the failed colonisation attempt and many more arose in the decades following. Yet when the Great Hyperspace War had broken out and the Sith suffered a terrible defeat at the hands of the wretched Republic and their Jedi defenders, the world became forgotten, as well as the names of the Dark Lords that restlessly laid within their tombs... until Lord Kosmarr had stumbled upon the tablet in Saizen's archives. No, he didn't stumble upon it, he was well aware of that. It was the Dark Side itself that had deemed him worthy of the knowledge and granted him this blessing. It was as he believed; the strong were blessed by the Force while the weak suffered its disfavour. His strength in the Dark Side was now being blessed, with the ability to expand his power in the Force by seizing and learning the knowledge that lay buried with the bodies of Dark Lords of the past.

"Entering atmosphere, systems steady. My Lord, if I may advise you to take a seat and fasten your belt? We will be facing a lot of turbul-"

"You may not advise such, Private, unless you have no desire to remain in possession of your tongue," the Sith Lord snapped at the pilot, interrupting her. "If you believe me to be a weakling, not capable of the simple feat of remain standing still during some pathetic turbulence, then please do tell me, so that I may correct the error that is your beating heart," he nearly hissed at her subsequently.

In response the pilot remained completely silent, cold sweat running down her forehead as she tried to hold back the tears that were welling up in her eyes. Kosmarr believed the sight to be a truly delightful one.

"Good. Maintain present course, Private." The Sith Lord stated in his usual emotionless tone, watching how they coursed through the thick carbon-filled clouds as the ship started shaking violently. It was not that he had something to prove by remain standing during the violent descent, it was simply that he thoroughly enjoyed being cruel and heartless to others, inciting them with the worst fears they could imagine. It was why he was skilled in the art of Sith Sorcery, spells of fear and dread being his favourite ones to use against his enemies and sometimes allies... if the situation required it. It was how he was shaping his apprentice, Irizar, forcing him to face his greatest fears in order to overcome them and gain strength, power... victory.

"Turbulence increasing..." the pilot broke through his contemplations, her voice sounded somewhat strained as the operated on the vessel's controls. "There is a lot of electrical charge in the atmosphere," she further commented.

The blond Sith Lord remained standing still, drawing lightly upon the Force to anchor himself to the metal floor of the cockpit. He remained silent as he started reaching out through the Force, dismissing the ship's sensors as inferior.

The very moment he did that however an image hit him, a surge of lightning hitting the shuttle and rendering it inoperable. The Dark Side... it was warning him!

"Private, move out of that seat now," he barked as he started moving forward, intending to take over control of the vessel himself.

It was too late however, as a bolt of lightning seered through the skies and went straight for the Imperial ship. The pilot let out a loud scream as the electrical charge went through the systems and burned them out in the blink of an eye. Red lights started flashing everywhere, sirens barely audible over the rumbling and screeching of the ship's hull as it went down into freefall. Lord Kosmarr's eyes burned with anger, hatred and... fear. For the first time since long he felt fear cross through his body, the dread of death, of an end to his existence. Once more he stood eye to eye with his greatest terror, the oblivion of death. In front of them through the window the black surface of Seraphim became visible and came closer rapidly with every second that passed. Lord Kosmarr's fears grew, his eternally emotionless expression now one wrought with dread... but it was exactly that which fueled him, which gave sustenance to his powers at that moment. His instinct took over, drawing heavily upon the Force as he anchored himself as hard as he could to the metal floor of the shuttle's cabin. Subsequently he attempted to seize the crashing vessel through the Force, trying to shift the angle of descent. He hissed, groaned and was overwhelmed with dread, the effort straining him immensely. His desperation was growing exponentially as the ash-covered surface of the planet was only seconds away from them, meaning certain death along with it...

"No... NO!" the Sith Lord screamed as he surrendered to the power of the Dark Side, in this last attempt managing to wrench the shuttle from its current angle of descent and forcing it into a less steep one. The hull was being torn apart by both the forces of nature and Lord Kosmarr's tearing, yet the crash that followed might have the chance of not being a lethal one to all of the crew. As the Sith Lord felt the shuttle was about to hit the surface, instictively he threw a Force Barrier around himself to help protect him from the impact... which ensued immediately after. There was an explosion of sound that rendered the blonde temporarily deaf, his entire world being shaken to its very core.

He lost track of what was up, what down, what left and what right. It didn't matter, there was only one thing that he cared about, one thing that fueled his power and effort through the Force... survival, at all cost if necessary.

What was actually seconds felt as decades as Lord Kosmarr poured all his emotions, of anger, of fear, of desperation, all of it, into his Force Barrier. He felt how exhaustion had forced itself into every single muscle of his body, how his head felt as if it was about to crack open. He had closed his eyes instictively and saw only blackness in front of him, not realising that the shutle, or better called wreck of a shuttle, had come to stand still. His body had absorbed so much of the quaking that it still experienced it while there was no movement at all... but it signified one vital thing: he was alive.

Lord Kosmarr slowly opened his eyes, the dark purple shimmer of his Force Barrier the first thing that he noticed,

the dead body of the pilot the second. The impact had caused him to assume a crouching position as he instictively had sought to remain anchored to the floor through the Force. Slowly he rose to his full height, taking the opportunity to sense his body through the Force whether he was injured or not. That simple act strained him greatly, as he had already drawn so heavily upon the Dark Side. Nonetheless, to his relief he remained unharmed except for a few bruises and small cuts. The pilot however could not say the same... her body was mangled and twisted into unnatural angles. It would have been a gruesome sight to anyone that was not Lord Kosmarr, but he had seen and endured far worse in his past as a slave.

"Good she's dead or she would have been smug about the fact I didn't manage to stand perfectly still due to the... turbulence," the Lord thought amused as he let go of the Barrier he was casting, the dark purple shimmer dissipating subsequently.

He looked around, taking note of the fact that the ship was a complete wreck. Dread seeped into his core once more as he was well aware of what that meant. He had ventured to Seraphim without telling anyone of where he was headed, not even his Sith Apprentice, out of fear someone would follow him to claim the prizes left behind in the tombs of the ancients. He had assumed he'd have a vessel to return with to the Empire, yet fate took an unforeseen turn.

"Has the Dark Side's favour abandoned me?" the cold and horrifying through burst through his mind as he took his curved-hilt lightsaber in hand with the intention to cut open the hull of the ship's cockpit, as the entrance to the main hold of the shuttle was blocked. The crimson blade emerged from the hilt and went straight into the metal wall in front of Kosmarr.

"Why has the Dark Side allowed me to be stranded here..." the Lord's train of thought continued as he manneuvred his blade through the metal hull, carving out an exit. "Have I not adored it, brought it glory through the deaths I caused and suffering I have inflicted?" His eyes burned with cold determination, anger but also fear at being rejected by the Dark Side. "Have I displeased the Dark Side?"

Eventually the crimson blade had reached the point where it had entered into the metal and Kosmarr groaned as he drew upon the Force once more to push out the newly cut "door" in a violent burst of energy. The metal hull landed several meters away in the ash, as the Sith Lord took part of his black robes and ripped it off, forming a protective cloth over the lower half of his face. While the atmosphere of the planet was deemed to be breathable, it would prove lethal over time... which was another worry that troubled Kosmarr. He disignited his weapon and stepped outside onto the surface of the planet and...

And all his fears, his wories and troubles dissipated instantly. As his foot touched the ashen ground of Seraphim, the burning warmth of the Dark Side permeating the surface of the planet immediately coursed through his veins and he welcomed the feeling. No, the Dark Side had not abandoned him, it had not forsaken him... it had led him here personally. He alone was meant to be the reaper of the prizes hidden beneath the scorched surface of this rock, so the others had to die. The crash, it was a final test of strength and worthiness and he had survived it. The challenge the Dark Side had placed before him, he had conquered it and now he was worthy in the eyes of the Dark Side to receive the knowledge and power of the ancients buried here. There no longer was any doubt within his body about that...

Suddenly groans and metal screeching snapped him back to the here and now. He looked to his left and noticed he had not been the only survivor... two of the Imperial Troopers and one of the Sith that had accompanied him forced themselves through a rift in the hull out of the wreckage. They were in a very bad shape, bleeding from several wounds and multiple limbs broken. Kosmarr immediately understood the Dark Side had deemed them unworthy...

"L-Lord Kosmarr! My Lo-Lord!" the female Sith brought out when she took note of the blonde standing tall and straight where he had exited. "You live!"

The Dark Side didn't need to whisper into his ears what he had to do next, their fates had been sealed the moment they had chosen to reveal their survival. Kosmarr ignited the crimson blade of his weapon and he burst into action, refueled by the powers that lay dormant beneath the surface of Seraphim.

And his blade spun, twirled... and slaughtered.

Edited by Ylliarus

Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula!! I've been up here for only a day with my family, but it's been a lovely vacation so far. Cell coverage is spotty though, which is why this post has taken me 5 minutes so far. Oh well, happy Friday......and here's your new Prompt!

Week of July 7, 2017

Good News Everyone!: What would be good news for your character? Something personal? A promotion? A sale? A marriage, a child, a vacation? A divorce? Maybe something local: a tramway or road finishes construction, a botanical garden opens. Larger? Peace declared between warring factions or nations? War declared against an oppressive enemy? Is it something they expected or a complete surprise? Think of something your character considers good news and how they react to it.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......post it anyways!!

Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you’re aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character’s word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!

Cheering Up- Into every life a little rain must fall, and our characters are no different. Who or what cheers them up when they’re down? How would they help a friend with the blues? Whether as the cheer-er or the cheer-ee, write about some happy characters this week.

• 2 weeks later...
Peep! Just stopping in for a wave... I've been largely out for the last few years, but I picked up playing again recently and alllll the stories are flooding in. It feels great after a "dry spell." Thank you for keeping up the prompts!

Charmed! Hey! Nice to see you again! Hope life has been treating you well. :)

Peep! Just stopping in for a wave... I've been largely out for the last few years, but I picked up playing again recently and alllll the stories are flooding in. It feels great after a "dry spell." Thank you for keeping up the prompts!

Hey, I'm new here! But any friend of Luna's is a friend of mine! Welcome back!

@Charmedseed: Heya!! Welcome back! I'm glad to hear playing again has gotten the story juices flowing and hope you'll share with us when ready!

@everyone else: Oh dear, I'm so sorry about missing last week's prompt. :o Our family vacation was nearing it's end and we were really busy cramming in more fun in the sun. I'm home now and the kids and I are settled into our summer routine so the weekly prompts will be back on schedule. Who knows, I may even have a story or 2 in the works to contribute.....after updating my own story thread and my shared one with Kitar.

Happy Friday......have a prompt!

Week of July 21, 2017

Looking Back: Whether it’s with fondness or relief, everyone thinks about their past sometimes. Something that held them back, or something that propelled them forward. They might consider time with a mentor, a formative event, or just a memorable vacation. Write about your character reminiscing.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......post it anyway!

Dance: We’ve had music prompts before, but what about dance? Whether formal or informal, group, alone, or in pairs, most cultures accompany music with dance. How does your character relate? Do they sit on the sidelines watching others or do they command the attention of all on the floor? Write a story about your character and how they dance, even if it’s with two left feet.

Sight: Humans are a visually-oriented species, so sight is one of the easiest senses to evoke in a story and most writers use it automatically. We describe how a room looks or our character’s physical appearance. We tell the reader what our character sees. It is the most basic scene setting tool. This week’s challenge: make the character’s vision a central part of your story. Having trouble? Take it away. Maybe it’s too dark to see. Maybe they’re temporarily blinded. Maybe they’ve always been blind. Experiment!

Hey Alaurin, just curious, but do your kids have any interest in Star Wars? Do they know their mom writes SW stories? ;):p
My oldest (age 12) has shown interest in gaming and I've allowed him to create a free account of his own. He's played a little here and there, but hasn't in a while. Neither of my children know that their Mom writes fics since many of my stories aren't exactly fit for young readers due to violence and some rather naughty content. My husband knows and teased me a little at first......but after being married for 16 years, he knows better than to annoy me too much because there are always consequences ;).

Happy Friday!

Week of July 28, 2017

Looking Forward: No one knows the future, but that doesn’t stop us from imagining what it might hold. What about your character? What do they see in their crystal ball? Good news? Bad news? What do they see as the result of today’s decisions? Or do they live in the moment and deal with the future as it arrives? We’ve done Hope and Goals, let’s look at the pragmatic.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......post it anyway!

Strange Relations- Every character has an assortment of friends and companions. As writers, we usually pick types or occupations that fit logically with them. But what about an oddball? Obi-Wan Kenobi was friends with a smuggler-***-restaurant owner, hardly a likely pair. Who among your character’s compatriots has unusual skills, occupations, or backgrounds? How did they meet and become friends? Why do they remain friendly despite obvious differences?

Something Borrowed-writers find inspiration everywhere, sometimes in other people’s fic. Not necessarily characters, though we had a prompt for that, too. Sometimes it’s a scene, or a description, a side character, or a setting. The name of a bureau, what the hyperspace vortex looks like, a slogan, or something else! Write your story and be sure to note what you borrowed and from whom. Add a link to your inspiration if you can.

Okay folks, just a couple things. First, the SFC Story Index and Prompt Archive is up to date once again.....YAY! Just a quick reminder that if you see an error, pretty please don't reply to that thread!! If there's something you need fixed or changed, send me a PM and I will take care of it ASAP. Also, you may notice there is a gap in the prompts.....I will be working to fill that in from the Tumblr version as I get the time.

Second, I have a story to share......hopefully that's a yay as well. ;)

Title: Full Disclosure

Prompt: Love Letters and Secret Valentines

Character: Tiannya Vleska-Trooper, Aric Jorgan

Setting: Tatooine, shortly after Doing What Must Be Done

Spoilers: I’ll be safe and say Trooper Tatooine

*quick note.....while it's not necessary to read Tia's previous story, it will help to understand this bit if you do.

Content Warning: Definitely some innuendo in this bit….

Dear A,

I managed to procure a new datapad from an obliging jerk I met on the outskirts of Mos Ila. Idiot was drunk and looking for a good time. Unfortunately he picked the wrong girl to harass for it…….at least he has good taste. He’s alive, but will likely need an ice pack for his nuts whenever he wakes. Figured I’d swipe his datapad for my trouble so I could let you know I made it home okay.

~T

Dear T,

You do manage to attract trouble wherever you go, but I will agree that idiot had good taste. Could’ve done without knowing your brand of justice to the poor sap……even if I’d like to kick his *** myself. Glad to hear you made it home okay though, I was worried about you getting stuck in the desert after Klerren warned me that sandstorms are common on Tatooine. I’ll definitely be happy to see the last of this sandtrap. Are you doing okay?

~A

Dear A,

I do have to agree with you about this planet…...think I’ll need several showers to get this blasted sand out of my fur! Again, thank you for the sentiment regarding the aforementioned sap, but he got what was coming. Are you worried about being on the receiving end of my brand of justice?

~T

Dear T,

After seeing your friend deliver that particular brand of justice on more than one occasion, not to mention the fact you’ve already made an attempt on me, you bet I’m a little worried. Can you blame me?! I think I’d rather you break my nose again then take a hit below the belt.

~A

Dear A,

Your punishment preference is duly noted. On a more serious note, thanks for today…...your logic and honesty was helpful. This job gets to me sometimes, but I have to keep the boss happy until someone terminates him…...even if it means going outside my comfort zone.

~T

Dear T,

I’d rather not be punished at all! As for earlier, I could tell the stress was getting to you and I was more than happy to assist. My offer still stands though…..just say the word and you can have your old job. It’s been a long day for both of us and I was just getting settled in for the night, but I’ll probably be awake for a little while longer.

~A

Getting ready for bed, eh? Are you wearing that shirt?

Yes

Did you wash it?

No

That makes me happy.

Does it? So…….you going to tell me who were you wanting at the time?

I’ll tell…..if you admit you were jealous.

I was. Your turn.

You

That makes me happy.

Good. That last day on Ord…..

You have no idea how hard it was for me to resist your offer.

Oh? And just how hard was it?

Durasteel

Oh, that is tempting indeed

So the temptress is tempted….that’s good to hear.

You like knowing that?

Yes

Why?

Because it means I’m not the only one.

That last day on Nar Shaddaa?

Just as hard.

This afternoon?

Downright painful after seeing your choice in underclothing…….and that little navel trinket.

I’ll keep that in mind. What about now?

I think I need a very cold shower.

Me too. ‘Night Aric…...sweet dreams.

Sweet is not the word I’d use to describe what my dreams are going to likely be tonight.

Pleasant dreams?

Definitely. ‘Night Tia.

Aric re-read the messages, a little shocked at how much he’d admitted to the sultry little vixen. Then again, she was pretty forthcoming herself, he mused, unable to keep from smiling at that thought. He knew sleep would be difficult with the state his body was in at the moment, but he didn’t want to risk leaving his quarters for a much needed cold shower in case Dorne was still up. His medic would have to be blind not to notice his rather obvious situation and he certainly didn’t need that.

With a sigh, he moved the messages into the secure file he’d created on his personal datapad so they’d be with the other written exchange they’d had, then got up from his desk and walked over to the control panel by the door. Knowing damn well who would be starring in his dreams tonight, he decided to err on the side of caution and locked the door before turning off the lights.

“Gods help us the next time I’m alone with that teasing little minx,” Aric muttered to himself as he climbed into bed, unsure if he’d be able to keep his hands off of her…...or if he’d even want to try.

Author’s Note: Trooper Ord Mantell Spoilers

For those new to Kat, Tia, and Val’s stories, Tia is a different take on the Trooper story. At the end of Ord Mantell, she chooses to go along with Tavus and the others so she can help bring the Havoc traitors down from the inside.

@alaurin: Nice to see Tia and Aric are still alive and kicking.

It's also good to see there is still some life left in the thread. I won't complain, though, since life keeps me busy myself. Too many ideas too little time. (And too much work in RL that needs to be prioritized.)

@alaurin: Nice to see Tia and Aric are still alive and kicking.

It's also good to see there is still some life left in the thread. I won't complain, though, since life keeps me busy myself. Too many ideas too little time. (And too much work in RL that needs to be prioritized.)

Yup, Tia and Aric are indeed still alive and kicking......well, Tia is kicking at any rate, usually as a result of something Aric said.

I totally understand life keeping you busy, I've been battling the RL boss for the past several months myself. I'm just glad I'm in a profession that allows me to be home with my kids in the summer.....definitely helps when the muse is knocking. I've noticed you've been posting in your story thread though and I do fully intend to get caught up with that one.....no pun intended there.

Happy Friday everyone!! Here's the prompt!

Week of August 4, 2017

Long-Distance connections – Your character’s friends, family, colleagues, or loved ones won’t always be close at hand. How do they maintain the relationship? Do they enjoy real-time, visual and audio transmissions? Is there a delay for distance – or surreptitious monitoring? Pre-recorded messages? Text messages? Letters? Maybe contact isn’t possible at all. What do they share? What do they hold back and why? Consider time as a separation, and how a character might stay connected to someone lost to them, or discover a connection to the past.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......post it anyways!

Life has no Reset Button — Your character makes decisions every day, from minor ones, like what to wear, to vital important ones that change lives. Whether to capture or kill a prisoner. To stay with a partner or break up. To follow an order or disobey. They do the best they can under pressure and with limited time. What choices do they regret? Which ones might they do differently, now that they’ve had time to reflect? Would they make the same choice, knowing the consequences? Are they even more convinced they made the right decision?

Missing You: Your character relies on friends and companions, but they can’t be there all the time. A companion takes a vacation. Maybe they had an appointment, ran an errand, or stormed off in a huff. Maybe they grew apart, took a job or a post in a faraway place. Maybe they just went to work for the day. Sometimes you don’t realize how much you depend on someone until they’re not there. Who does your character miss when they’re gone and why?

Okay, I'm in! Thank you Luna, Mayhem, Alaurin for the welcome back. Luminous is getting a huge rewrite because apparently when you leave a story alone for a long time, you get a better look when you come back.

Anyway! Yay, prompt! Here we go!

Prompt – Long Distance

Title – Sisterly Correspondence

Class – Jedi Consular (Aitahea), Smuggler (Tember)

Spoilers: NA [Takes place during Luminous]

[Fixed for bad proofreading & a better (?) title.]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Dear Tember,

I hope this message finds you well. I wish I’d been able to answer your last missive sooner, but assignments from the Council have kept me on the move with little time to spare for personal matters. I’m currently returning to Coruscant with some ambassadors from the Outer Rim and may find myself with a little time.

{Days later…}

My apologies, dear sister. I’d intended to finish the above message but was interrupted by a new mission. I’m afraid I won’t be arriving on Coruscant as I intended; Prelsiava has in fact already dropped off our passengers and returned to retrieve us on Hoth.

I can nearly hear you saying, “Us?” On Hoth I was asked to rendezvous with a Republic soldier for a mission. Without saying much, we’re in a race after a deadly prize. I don’t doubt you can probably fill in a few of the blanks yourself. The trooper has been an invaluable help in the search. More personally, his sabacc game is abysmal.

Without knowing more, I can’t say when I’ll next be able to write. I hope all is well in whatever part of the galaxy you’re in. Please give my affection to Mother and Father should you see them.

May the Force be with you,

Aitahea

[END ENCRYPTION]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Ai,

Hey, don’t worry about it. I know it’s still kind of weird that you and I share messages anyway, you Jedi and your no family or friends thing, whatever. But you know, I’m glad to hear you’re alive and kicking. And I’m glad Sia is there to take care of you! Tell her I said hey, miss her face (and her hair – what color is it now?).

I’ll tell Mom and Dad you said hi. I’ve been seeing them every few months, shuttling back and forth from the Core to the Outer Rim. All legit business, don’t worry. Hey, you might even be proud of the work I’m doing. I’ll fill you in next time I see you; even an encrypted message isn’t completely safe. But you know that, obviously.

Trooper, eh? Nice boys, those. I mean I prefer pirates, but that’s just me (I’m kidding, don’t freak out). You don’t usually mention a partner. So it’s going good, I’m going to guess? You could use more friends than Sia and me, if we’re honest. Even if they’re poodoo at sabacc. You just teach him my methods, your trooper’ll be playing tournaments on Nar Shadda in a standard week.

I’m out. We’re close to the Outer Rim and you know that’s always a fun time. Worst cantinas in the galaxy out here. Or the best. Depending on how drunk you are.

I guess I’ll leave it at that. Stay safe out there.

Tember

[END ENCRYPTION]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Sister,

Prelsiava sends her most enthusiastic greetings. Her hair is currently the blue of dlock leaves, with yellow tips, though she says once we’re in civilized space again she’ll change it. It’s stunning on her, as always.

I’ve only a few moments as we’re still on the trail of our quarry, but I’m grateful as always to hear from you. Thank you for giving our parents my greetings, if you’ve seen them by now. I’m glad to know they have at least one daughter who isn’t weighed down with guilt over being unable to visit.

He is not ‘my’ trooper, sister. He is an associate, though I do appreciate his skill and dedication to our mission. As I said, we’re in the thick of our search for a dangerous artifact, and his knowledge is invaluable. He’s surprisingly intuitive despite the absence of Force sensitivity. We work together unusually well, which is fortunate given the significance of this mission.

I will take your suggestion for his sabacc skills under advisement. I shouldn’t want to lose him to a tournament currently. And until he can best you in a game, he most certainly should not make the attempt.

May the Force be with you,

Aitahea

[END ENCRYPTION]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Ai,

Tell Sia to send me a holo, if she hasn’t changed it yet! I want to show it to one of my crewmates; it’d look good on her. Glad to know she hasn’t forgotten me.

I’m surprised to hear from you so soon, I gotta say. I figured when you said mission you’d be dashing around dirtside for a standard month before you’d message me. Hope that trooper of yours can keep up with you.

You’re talking an AWFUL lot about a guy who’s just an “associate.” Please, Ai, I know what it’s like to be on a long, tedious mission with a “skilled” man. By the Core, just have a good time. I know you’re a Jedi and all, but even you need to blow off some steam.

Anyway, back to the skies again, talk to you soon.

Love,

Tember

[END ENCRYPTION]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Tember,

I hope once again this message finds you safe; however if I should find you anytime soon, you may find yourself regretting your incessant teasing.

Our mission continues to become more complex. Our target seems to be constantly moving. I’ll leave this message short. We hope to make an anticipatory move of our own soon; I will continue to keep you apprised of our safety.

As always, may the Force watch over you.

Aitahea

[END ENCRYPTION]

[bEGIN ENCRYPTION]

Ai,

Do you even READ what you write?

Ai and her trooper, in a wroshyr tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

You still love me.

Tember

[END ENCRYPTION]

Edited by Charmedseed