View Single Post

JLazarillo
07.17.2017 , 07:28 AM | #7
On the whole, I tend to rate the stories:

Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular > Agent > Smuggler > Hunter > Knight > Trooper

The first three are what I'd really call top tier. It's hard to pick which of the Sith stories I like better when they're both at their best. I tend towards Inquisitor simply because I love how it's the most self-motivated (it's the only story where you don't really have someone holocalling you between each planet and telling you where to go); I also dig the rise to power story, and it feels the most "open"...Warrior, if you make too many Light Sided choices, dialogue from other characters and such starts to kind of "railroad" your character motivations, so even though the story itself is really solid, I feel like it's a bit weaker unless it's played the "right" way (of course, I still like my Warrior as a slightly cerebral sort, so he's not above making Light choices when the situation calls for it). Consular is really underrated to me, but has some similar flaws to the Warrior, where if you don't play mostly Light, particularly in the early parts of the story, a lot of the internal logic falls apart. Such a shame since the prologue was all about learning the true history of Dark Jedi. Still, if done "right" here, it's easily my favorite story Republic-side.

Bringing in the second tier, Agent is quite solid, with a lot of twists and an interesting supporting cast and world view. It does really drag at times, though, and the characters you actually get as companions tend to be bland, annoying, or underused in the plot as a whole. It also doesn't get to be its best unless you save it for last, and get to see how it ties a lot of the other stories together. Smuggler and Hunter are both high quality as well, even if they don't stand out as well. Smuggler's funny and exciting, though certain late-story elements make the whole thing a little bit of a letdown. Hunter's freaking ******, and probably the best they could do to make a character feel "freelance" while also providing an ongoing story, though some of the excuses for why you're doing what you're doing are a little flimsy.

Knight and Trooper I find the worst. Knight is definitely the better of the two. It's got a few great moments, although some of those are also morality-based, but I find the story somewhat bland (some people find it "classic Star Wars", I feel less like it's "classic" and more like it's "played-out"), and it has a severe problem with telling rather than showing. You're the chosen one because you are and Orgus is your master even though he never teaches you and Kira's your Padawan even though you never teach her. The thing that happens at the end of Chapter 2 which I won't spoil is supposedly terrible and the guilt eats away at you and stuff but it all happens off camera. Trooper, finally, just has some real problems with cohesiveness and drama. The story sets itself up in a great way, but never follows through, it shifts around somewhat aimlessly, and the writing is entirely too enamored with "this-or-that" choices even when they don't make sense...it's kind of...desensitizing, especially by the time you get to some of what should be the really hard choices near the end, it's just, like, oh, another one.