The case for Galactic Command

Eli_Porter

Any system that is this heavily RNG based will be garbage. There's no way around it. I've opened between 20 and 25 boxes, split among two characters, and gotten exactly one set piece. The Devs are idiots if they think this is going to make players happy or keep them in the game. I expect you'll see a marked drop-off in players anywhere in the game as subs run out and as the returning players time cards run out (30 or 90 days.) The sad thing is the Devs won't have a clue why because they ignore negative feedback.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even start with 228. The baseline tier 1 gear is 230 for endgearing. As far as I understand it crafting endgame level gear requires purple and blue special mats that you have to grind then to get. So you tell me.

If I want to gear 10 or 20 characters fully with 230 crafted gear, how many mats do I need to grind and how long do you think that will take?

People like you really need to get a reality check done and realise that buying/crafting is not something that's free unless you suggest we should buy credits from gold sellers?

Getting grade 10 purple mats from companion missions is a non-effort, especially with how cheap it is to get companions to level 40 or so. You just have to get blue special mats, which drop like candy from flashpoints.

False. You get schematics, crafting materials and transferable mods/enhancements among other things. The only things you wouldn't want to give to your alts are the set bonus armorings.

Really my guardian tank can transfer the mods he may someday get to my commando healer? And that helps how? Or wait my commando can send them to my gunslinger...wait no accuracy....so no you can only do so if all your alts are the same role as each other. Of course, you actually need to get those mods to start with. Craftable mods and enchantments are cute but not a fix for this pitiful system. Scrap the system and move on. It deserves nothing more.

An unefficient solution.

An average piece of 230 purple, non-set bonus gear is 2.2m credits on my server. Decking out an entire character in purple 230 baseline gear would require 14x2m credits. 28m credits per character. Add another million on top of that for augmentations. We're rounded up to 30m credits per alt in 230 baseline gear.

Your suggestion is that I buy the baseline gear seven times for over 210m credits across my legacy just to be able to do some baseline story mode operations/end game progression on my alts now?

And don't start with this self-sufficient crafting nonsense. I have Synthweave, Artifice and Armourmech on 600. If a single piece of gear needs a single Exotic Isotope Stabilizer (rank 2) to craft, and a twink needs 14 pieces of gear? That's fourteen pieces of EIS2 to craft said gear set. If we assume I want one character of each class, the total is 98. I'm not farming close to a hundred EIS2 for the singular purpose of getting baseline gear on my classes. Let alone the fact that I'd need to find all the necessary schematics for eight classes first.

If it's too costly then use a 228 baseline. Simple.

Getting grade 10 purple mats from companion missions is a non-effort, especially with how cheap it is to get companions to level 40 or so.

Which was obviously not made worse by the fact that companion gifts of rank six are now less readily available than they were before 5.0 hit.

If it's too costly then use a 228 baseline. Simple.

Which means they are still locked out of most meaningful content. They still need to rely on GC to grant them baseline gear which sees them being well-usable and reasonably powerful for starting activities across the game. The solution you proposed has not solved the issue that was given. Thus, the proposed solution is theoretical and irrelevant.

Edited by Alssaran

Really my guardian tank can transfer the mods he may someday get to my commando healer? And that helps how? Or wait my commando can send them to my gunslinger...wait no accuracy....so no you can only do so if all your alts are the same role as each other. Of course, you actually need to get those mods to start with. Craftable mods and enchantments are cute but not a fix for this pitiful system. Scrap the system and move on. It deserves nothing more.

Your guardian tank can get DPS schematics. Your guardian tank can get crafting materials.

The weird thing about GC is that it has tiers of gear. It would make a lot more sense if you could easily get 230 gear as rewards for the story and then grind away for 242 gear.

It will be already hard enough getting a 242 set of gear together within those 300 levels with current drop rates and variables.

Add to that the legendary gear and you already have a reason to keep grinding away even if you're lucky enough to get done early.

People who want a bit of challenge can jump straight into Veteran Mode and those who prefer it easier can take Story Mode.

Gear progression through 3 tiers of gear within a one-dimensional RNG system just doesn't make any sense...at all.

Look at all these trolls being contrarian for the sake of it. It's quite funny.

They are not trolls they are sheep. Willing to follow and do anything to save "their game".

Anyone that has any sense knows the Command system is utterly and completely broken. You need to solve the RNG and make it more ALT friendly.

Personally I think making it legacy wide (the crates too) would go a long way.

Edited by Kawiki

The only thing that hurts alts is the time it takes to reach T3. Once you reach T3, the system actually encourages playing with alts as they take less time to level up than your main.

You're serious aren't you? Hahahaha. Sorry that's just silly talk, wait till I get my command level to 200+ and then I can play alts. Great, so my alts enter PvP against other people's mains and get crushed...oh wait you said I can transfer mods...only my main is a tank and my alts are dps and heals....so no can't do that. So I guess I get to enjoy being crushed....wow what fun they've added to the game, What will they come up next to make it less playable.

Your guardian tank can get DPS schematics. Your guardian tank can get crafting materials.

But those schematics need to drop off the RNG system first. We're back to GC and square one - do the incredible grind and hope that you're lucky enough to receive a corresponding schematic for each of the fourteen gear slots across multiple classes/secondary stat requirements/roles.

You don't need level 50 companions to get purple mats, just get a couple to 40 and you're set.

A 40 companion rank still takes a lot of gifts. Even leveling to 40 takes somewhat along the lines of 40-50 gifts.

You're serious aren't you? Hahahaha. Sorry that's just silly talk, wait till I get my command level to 200+ and then I can play alts. Great, so my alts enter PvP against other people's mains and get crushed...oh wait you said I can transfer mods...only my main is a tank and my alts are dps and heals....so no can't do that. So I guess I get to enjoy being crushed....wow what fun they've added to the game, What will they come up next to make it less playable.

Like I said in the OP, T3 should be available earlier on and sets should be easier to get.

If you're getting crushed in PVP because you're using 230 gear against 242 gear, that's an issue with PVP bolster numbers.

Getting grade 10 purple mats from companion missions is a non-effort, especially with how cheap it is to get companions to level 40 or so. You just have to get blue special mats, which drop like candy from flashpoints.

Stop talking like a moron. It's not cheap for most people to get companions to level 40. Stop using yourself as the lowest common denominator...you're not even near it if what you contend is true.

And I do believe you need special purple mats for 230 mods etc. but if not you do still need to get a fair few of the special blue mats anyway. They do drop more than before but you need a hell of a lot more too. You need them for each enhancement and mod anyway.

And how about you answer the question using your example.

How many fp's do you have to grind to get enough special blue mats to craft 230 gear sets for 10 alts?

Edited by Tsillah

If you're getting crushed in PVP because you're using 230 gear against 242 gear, that's an issue with PVP bolster numbers.

No. That's entirely working as intended. Seeing that gear is now relevant in both PvE and PvP, the idea that higher levels of gear give you an advantage over lower tiers of gear is completely intended. There wouldn't be any incentive to farm gear beyond a single level 230 set if 242 didn't give you any advantages in PvP.

If someone in 230 gear gets stomped by someone in 242, it is not a failed bolster system. The system is working precisely as intended - provide a big enough power creep so that competitive players feel the need to grind 242 to do ranked.

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion but I like Galactic Command. I am getting rewarded for the things I am doing now and have a path to the best gear in the game. I do not play operations, it just does not work for me time wise and with other commitments I cannot sit down for hours and hours and do operations. I could not get the best gear in the game because of choices I made, I was okay with that. With galactic command I feel like I am being rewarded for the things I do participate in. I am really enjoying it. I have even gotten a piece of gear with set bonus on it, been here since launch and it is my first piece of gear with a set bonus on it, there was much excitement.

And that fixes the broke system they added how? And how does my tank get to higher end content if all I get is junk from these command boxes? He can get schematics...woot....but gear is just a dream. And getting to teir 3 just how many ranks in do I need to get before I get that set of pieces? 230, 250, 270, 300+....so basically a year or so. Yup can't play my alts for a year or so but when I can....well I have these neat lower powered crafted pieces for them....because they specifically made crafted items less powerful then set pieces you know. Not even talking set bonuses just base level of the gear for crafted is lower then for set pieces.

But those schematics need to drop off the RNG system first. We're back to GC and square one - do the incredible grind and hope that you're lucky enough to receive a corresponding schematic for each of the fourteen gear slots across multiple classes/secondary stat requirements/roles.

Again, if you don't get the schematics you want and/or can't afford 230 then use 228.

A 40 companion rank still takes a lot of gifts. Even leveling to 40 takes somewhat along the lines of 40-50 gifts.

Takes like 2 million credits per companion, not that bad for a long-term investment as they print money through their crit missions and crafts.

You don't need level 50 companions to get purple mats, just get a couple to 40 and you're set.

Grade 6 companion gifts cost 250K a piece now.

I have been playing since early access, I have not seen one drop anywhere, so for anyone who has not already got a level 30+ companion, getting a level 40 is going to be difficult.

I like having the comps out to 50. May not be necessary but it just seems a little more complete that way.

I think a lot of people gave up on that idea as they don't know if their companions will get killed off by BWA at some point in the story....cause it has happened a few times already.

Grade 6 companion gifts cost 250K a piece now.

I have been playing since early access, I have not seen one drop anywhere, so for anyone who has not already got a level 30+ companion, getting a level 40 is going to be difficult.

Grade 6 gifts are almost obsolete since Grade 5 purples are 10k a piece.

Edited by Eli_Porter

And that fixes the broke system they added how? And how does my tank get to higher end content if all I get is junk from these command boxes? He can get schematics...woot....but gear is just a dream. And getting to teir 3 just how many ranks in do I need to get before I get that set of pieces? 230, 250, 270, 300+....so basically a year or so. Yup can't play my alts for a year or so but when I can....well I have these neat lower powered crafted pieces for them....because they specifically made crafted items less powerful then set pieces you know. Not even talking set bonuses just base level of the gear for crafted is lower then for set pieces.

It doesn't address it entirely, but if they made T3 available earlier and set bonuses more easily obtainable (like I suggest in the OP), there wouldn't be much else to fix.

Again, if you don't get the schematics you want and/or can't afford 230 then use 228.

It seems you have entered a point in the argumentation at which you cannot provide a solution. You're simply reverting back to old answers that were proven wrong and without any value in terms of solving the issue.

There is no reason for a game that was advocating having alts in baseline purple gear for legacy activities to do a 180° turn on that design philosophy. The old system of providing baseline purple gear for activities was not broken. There was no need to fix that with such drastic meassures.

228 gear is basically a token gear piece. It's there so you feel you got something, but it is completely inconsequential in the long run. You'd still need to put up 50-60+ grind for anything beyond that level. And 228 is useless. I could become competitive in PvP on a new DvL alt in a week. 208 gear and token transfer made that possible. By using 228 gear, I cannot do anything beyond story chapters. It's useless in PvP, it's useless for veteran/hard mode, it's useless for veteran story and I can't do operations.

Using 228 is not a solution for the problem at hand.

Takes like 2 million credits per companion, not that bad for a long-term investment as they print money through their crit missions and crafts.

And across eight companions, that is 16m credits per character. Assuming I need more than one crew skill to craft relevant gear for everyone (relics/augments/implants/mods), I would need to level at least 32 companions. Eight for each of the three major crew skills (Artifice, Armormech, Synthweave, Cybertech). 2m each companion is 64m credits to optimize the crew skill farm.

Again - that might be doable for you, but a big portion of the playerbase is not willing to spend 60m credits on the attempt at 228 gear.

After seeing a discussion in guild chat yesterday where many of the 'veteran' players were talking about just letting their subscriptions run out and stop playing because of the RNG factor of the CXP grind, I realized that this is most likely because their gear starting point (with the expansion) is at a much higher level than mine.

During the recent double xp grind fest I ground up probably 10 toons between two different accounts. Their gear tops out at 208.

My "main" toons gear tops out at non set bonus 220, prior to the expansion.

The people in the guild talking about leaving have 220 set bonus, or even 224.

While I'm getting decent upgrades for my main, and great upgrades for my newer toons, they are not.

With the recent CXP decrease for gold mobs (from 10 per to 1 per) it just makes it THAT much longer of a grind.

--Honestly, after playing for a few days under each amount, a good compromise would be boosting them up to 5 each.....high enough to feel worthwhile, but not high enough to ONLY farm mobs out in the open world---

None of my toons are even at GC lvl 10. The highest I have is at 8. I've gotten probably 8 of the 230 purple schematics, two 230 set bonus pieces (not on the same toon) and some other goodies. I've started to disintegrate the empty shells.

I do like getting the reputation items. There still stuff I haven't ground out and it's a nice bonus. I also like the jawa junk because many of my toons are crafters and mats are always needed.

I think they need to make this legacy wide, like legacy XP.

I think they need to drop universal tokens in ops/flashpoints instead of the CXP stuff. One style token for everything token related.

Since uprisings are directly tied into GC, those should continue to give out CXP grants.

The daily/weekly CXP missions from the planetary button also needs to have the CXP values increased.

you might be lucky. becasue all I got so far were either empty orange shells I don't care about, greens that are worse than my vendor bought prior to expac 216th (or side grades to my 208 also vendor bought pieces) and recipes that are 230 instead of 228 that I can baseline craft .. and are not moddable anyways. oh yeah. one 230 relic that is sub-optimal.

I don't have set pieces. all I have is vendor items and drops from 4.0. and this system? is giving me NO upgrades. hell.. I've gotten better blue drops of random mobs than what I got from the crates. the only people who might MIGHT not be so screwed by it are new characters wearing whatever quest reward gear they got along their way through the story.

it feels grindy even at early levels. but amount of xp needed per box - increases exponentially. show me a person who feels motivated to grind for hours only to get a crappy green for their efforts? and I'll show you insane person.

yes xp gain needs to be increased. and last I checked, jawa sellers weren't updated for rank 10 mats. rep items.. I suppose its nice for a new player, but for someone who has all the reps maxed out? crappy amount of xp you get from disintegrating those - is disheartening.

and don't even start me on alts.

The only thing that hurts alts is the time it takes to reach T3. Once you reach T3, the system actually encourages playing with alts as they take less time to level up than your main.

this is so painfully wrong I'm getting an actual headache. the point is not to keep leveling through the system over and over. the point is to get upgrades so that you could have acess to more content. starting from scratch? is not encouraging. its DISCOURAGING. because 1. once you reach t3 - the REAL grind begins. reaching t3 is only means to getting a CHANCE at upgrades. you don't stop at t3 unless you don't care about gear and content it gives you acess to, in which case? the argument is moot.

IMO, the ONLY part of Galactic command that I'm ok with is the interface that allows us to queue up for various activities. even the whole light vs dark conflict is a giant failure, as most of the time - light wins right now and I'm not sure I see it changing any time soon, seeing as choosing a side AFFECTS YOUR PERSONAL ALIGNMENT. which means people who want to keep using their titles and their mounts and their pets and likely their old school weapons that have alignment requirement? are not going to ruin it by choosing to fight for the side that will take that ability away

It seems you have entered a point in the argumentation at which you cannot provide a solution. You're simply reverting back to old answers that were proven wrong and without any value in terms of solving the issue.

I must have missed the part where you've proven me wrong. Please link to your post.

There is no reason for a game that was advocating having alts in baseline purple gear for legacy activities to do a 180° turn on that design philosophy. The old system of providing baseline purple gear for activities was not broken. There was no need to fix that with such drastic meassures.

The system isn't a 180°, the numbers just need adjustments.

228 gear is basically a token gear piece. It's there so you feel you got something, but it is completely inconsequential in the long run. You'd still need to put up 50-60+ grind for anything beyond that level. And 228 is useless. I could become competitive in PvP on a new DvL alt in a week. 208 gear and token transfer made that possible. By using 228 gear, I cannot do anything beyond story chapters. It's useless in PvP, it's useless for veteran/hard mode, it's useless for veteran story and I can't do operations.

You're severely overestimating the advantages of 230 over 228.

And across eight companions, that is 16m credits per character. Assuming I need more than one crew skill to craft relevant gear for everyone (relics/augments/implants/mods), I would need to level at least 32 companions. Eight for each of the three major crew skills (Artifice, Armormech, Synthweave, Cybertech). 2m each companion is 64m credits to optimize the crew skill farm.

Eight companions to 40 is madness, you just need two to 40 running the best missions to get purple mats easily. Even one to 40 if you're patient enough.