View Single Post

Rolodome
11.28.2016 , 04:37 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I am seeing a few questions in the thread about "what constitutes an exploit" and things along those lines. First, you don't need to have concerns about simply playing the game. Earning a lot of CXP is in no way an exploit. Play and earn CXP as much as you want, you won't be punished for that.

As for the question of what is an exploit, it is really quite simple. Play the game/content as it was intended and there is no risk. If you are playing through content in a way that was not intended, it can be considered an exploit and subject to investigation/action.

The reason that we put out this messaging is that we know players are going to want to push the boundaries to gain CXP as fast as possible, and we are totally ok with that. I just wanted to caution how you go about those gains and should you find a way to gain CXP that goes around intended mechanics, it could be an exploit. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is, report it to us so we can see if there is an issue.

-eric
I appreciate the response and I understand you are just the messenger, but I want to make a point of noting that the following statement:
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[color=#f9d648]As for the question of what is an exploit, it is really quite simple. Play the game/content as it was intended and there is no risk. If you are playing through content in a way that was not intended, it can be considered an exploit and subject to investigation/action.
is a tautology, aka: circular.

"What is an exploit?" It's what isn't intended.

"What's not intended?" Anything that is an exploit.

Might seem obvious to the devs, since they know what their intentions were, but we don't all know what the intentions are.

For example, the question TUX asked about resetting an instance. Would that be considered an exploit? To me, it seems like one of those things that is on the borderline... maybe not intended, but not necessarily game breaking either. It's also the kind of thing that could be avoided in development by (for example) storing mob kill data somewhere for things that have a weekly lockout and then putting in code that says the mob kills only give you the XP once a week on that character. That is, if it is a thing that is unintended.

But with it open-ended as it is, we need to know.
Watch my crazy video ideas in SWTOR form.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.