"The Story So Far...."

USMCG_PANZER

Can anyone point me to a link that details the history of The Old Republic and time period that this game is set in?

When I saw that the initial intro trailers to the game, I was wondering why the Jedi temple looked exactly the same as it looked thousands of years later (in the prequel movies), and why the Republic troopers looked like they were actors from New Zealand cast as Clone Troopers from the prequels.

Am I missing something? It seems like a LOT is really, really similar to events in the Star Wars universe that happen thousands of years later.

Thanks.

Two things:

1. http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/timeline

That gives all the history you need to know about this game world to understand what's going on. It's a bit weird, because it goes in reverse order, starting with the most recent (the treaty of courescant) but as it works it's way backward you'll see it's because they wanted to give you the most important stuff in the first few entries.

2. The reason everything looks so similar to the original trilogy is just because they want it to feel like the star wars rather than it's own unique thing. It's very intentional. It seems that technology in the Star Wars universe just hasn't advanced over the thousands of years. You make make up your reason for why it doesn't advance.

Something many people fail to realize is that Star Wars is not Science Fiction. It is more properly classified as Science Fantasy. The distinction that I'm trying to make in this case is that while technology can be seen to evolve (and sometimes quite rapidly) in Science Fiction stories, in Science Fantasy technology only advances when it serves the plot.

See Examples: Any Super-weapon. Weapon Advancements during the Yuuzhan Vong War (see: New Jedi Order book series). The development of the lightsaber (a retroactively told anecdote to show the age of the Jedi Order).

There are more examples I could probably name, but these get the point across.