Afterimages: Dawn

Vesaniae

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your kind words, I'm glad you're enjoying the story. :) As for the predictions as to who Nox is planning on bringing to Tatooine...well, let's just say I wasn't exactly trying to be subtle. ;)

Nineteen

The Citadel, Dromund Kaas

14 ATC

After some deliberation, Nox decided to take the direct approach. Sneaking around might give the wrong impression. So she made her way to a particular corner of the Citadel where she had never expected to go—at least, not in broad daylight without the intent to kill.

She was nearly to her destination when she heard voices coming from around the nearest corner. Instinct took over, and she flattened herself against the wall, hiding her presence in the Force, before taking a quick look.

Darth Ravage was walking down the corridor, accompanied by a human woman in the red uniform of the Imperial Diplomatic Service. Nox didn’t recognize her, but that wasn’t surprising. She had never had much to do with that particular organization.

“I don’t care what you have to do,” Ravage was saying. “Make the governor agree, and make it happen soon. We need that system intact.”

“Of course. I won’t fail you, my lord.”

“You haven’t yet, which is more than can be said for your superior. That will be all.”

A moment later, the diplomat rounded the corner. She saw Nox and bowed silently, then continued down the corridor at a markedly faster pace.

Nox chuckled inwardly, then made her way around the corner herself. Ravage was walking away with his back to her. She crept up behind him, then unmasked her Force presence.

“Diplomacy problems?” she asked lightly.

Ravage turned around and drew his lightsaber so quickly she barely saw him move.

“Ah,” Nox said, staring down the length of the scarlet blade that had suddenly appeared at her eye level. “This is awkward.”

“Six more inches and I burn a hole straight through that empty head of yours,” Ravage said coolly. “I find myself very tempted.”

“If you were really going to do it, you would have already,” Nox pointed out. Probably. “So how about we move past the posturing and have a nice, civil chat?”

Ravage didn’t move. “You’ll understand if I’m reluctant to trust your motives.”

“Of course. But if I were trying to get you to lower your guard so I could kill you, I promise I wouldn’t be this obvious about it.” Nox smiled.

Ravage’s pale blue eyes narrowed. Nox kept smiling.

Enough time passed that she started to wonder if she had miscalculated. Then Ravage slowly lowered his lightsaber to his side, the blade dwindling away with a sharp hiss.

“All right,” he said reluctantly. “Talk.”

Nox gestured to the lightsaber hilt still in his hand. “Are you going to put that away, or…?”

“I’m staying ready in case I change my mind about killing you.”

“Oh, please,” Nox scoffed. “As if it would be that easy. Haven’t you heard about what happened when Thanaton killed me that one time?”

That might have been stretching the truth a little, but Ravage didn’t need to know that. Besides, she did have a rather impressive regiment of ghosts at her disposal. Anything was possible.

“Thanaton was a delusional, self-important fool stuck so firmly in the past it’s remarkable he was able to stop fawning over the ancients long enough to make it onto the Council in the first place,” Ravage said scathingly. “I’m sure he would have fallen for any number of your tricks.”

“And you won’t?”

“Unlike most people, I am well-versed in the repertoire of Sith witches.” One corner of his mouth twitched upwards. “The key is to get in close.”

Nox clicked her tongue disapprovingly. “We’re getting off topic.”

“Ah, yes. You were going to explain what you’re doing here.” Ravage shook his head. “This will be good.”

Nox pointedly looked around the hallway. “This is a rather public location.”

“Yes, it is.”

She sighed. “The information I wanted to discuss is of a sensitive nature.”

“How convenient.”

“How is that convenient?”

“It gives you an excuse to lure me somewhere secluded so you can try to murder me.”

“A minute ago, you seemed rather confident in your ability to take me on.”

Ravage shrugged. “I only said you would try.”

“Would it be better if you thought of it as somewhere secluded where you could murder me? Not that I’d let you, but if it puts your mind at ease…”

“You’ll talk here, or not at all.”

Nox put her hands on her hips. “I don’t think I care for your tone.”

“I don’t care for anything about you, Nox, yet here I am. Listening. Not even trying to put you out of my misery.” Ravage chuckled to himself. “And to think, Marr calls me unreasonable.”

“It’s not as if I’m suggesting we go to some hidden cave out in the jungle,” Nox grumbled. “Your chambers are right down the hall.”

Ravage only looked at her.

“Fine, fine,” Nox sighed. “Someone sent me an anonymous message asking me to meet with them on Tatooine so they can give me information vital to the fate of the Empire, but I have to bring someone with me to verify that I’m not lying about the information when I presumably share it with the Council.”

That sounded less dubious in my head.

Ravage looked as though he were trying very hard not to laugh. “I have to admit,” he said with clear amusement, “Of all the absurdities I’ve come to expect from you, this is really something else. You expect me to believe any of that?”

“Not really, no. But it’s the truth.”

“I’m sure.” Ravage finally put his lightsaber back on his belt and crossed his arms. “So. Let me get this straight.”

Nox tried to look innocent. It was difficult.

If any of this is actually true, and if I were to believe even a fraction of it…” Calm, confident smugness crept across his face, lighting up his eyes and culminating in a grim, but very satisfied smirk. “It seems that you, Darth Nox, are asking for my help.”

“I wouldn’t put it that way,” she pouted. Inwardly, she exulted. He had taken the bait.

“Oh, but I would,” Ravage murmured. “How desperate you must be that you would approach me, of all people. This must be more important than you’re letting on.”

Nox decided to match his smirk with one of her own. “Does this mean you’re agreeing?”

“I haven’t agreed to anything yet. We have to discuss terms.”

She had expected as much. “What terms might those be?”

“Let’s just say that you will owe me, and at some point in the future, I will collect. I prefer to keep my options open.”

“Done,” Nox said immediately. Whatever he decided he wanted, she could probably talk her way out of it if it compromised her power in any way.

Ravage’s smug smirk faded to a pleased smile. “Excellent.”

“You’ll come with me to Tatooine, then,” she said. She wasn’t worried about him backing out of the deal; Ravage kept his word when it suited him, and this time, it definitely suited him.

“That seems a more than fair price to pay.”

Nox was finding Ravage in a good mood to be more and more unsettling with each passing moment. “We should discuss logistics, then. Two members of the Dark Council traveling together will be highly suspicious…”

But who are they meeting on Tatooine! Curiosity level reaching maximum...

Soon. :)

Twenty

Fury-class starship Fata Morgana

14 ATC

It occurred to Nox that she had left the holocommunicator with Intelligence for analysis and then never gone and picked it up. Well, it was too late for that now; she had already taken her ship out of Dromund Kaas’ gravity well and made the jump to hyperspace towards Tatooine.

It had taken considerable wheedling and cajoling to convince Ravage that making the trip on her ship would be the least conspicuous option, and when he’d finally agreed, she hadn’t wanted to waste any time in case he changed his mind. That, and persuading him to go along with the whole thing in the first place, had required so much effort that it was little wonder she’d forgotten about Intelligence.

A small part of her was worried. She hadn’t had time to sneak into the Intelligence archives and delete the evidence. She could only hope that Seeker would not think to look.

That matter would have to wait until she returned. With the Fata Morgana in hyperspace, there was nothing more for her to do on the bridge. She made her way out into the ship’s main area to check on her guest.

Ravage had settled himself in the middle of the floor near the holoterminal, kneeling in a meditative posture. His eyes were closed, though Nox suspected that only made him more aware of where she was and what she was doing. The Force was more discerning than any physical sense.

She strolled over and draped herself in the nearest chair. Dromund Kaas to Tatooine was not a short trip, and if he thought he could go the entire time without having to talk to her, he was very much mistaken.

“Ravage,” she said, trying not to sound too delighted at the prospect of having him at her conversational mercy.

He didn’t open his eyes, but the frown lines etched across his face immediately deepened. “What.”

“I’m curious,” Nox said contemplatively.

“Wonderful,” Ravage sighed.

“No, really, I am. Why Ravage? I don’t see many Sith out there who just append Basic words to their Darth title.”

Another sigh, much more irritated than the last. “I didn’t pick it.”

“Well, I didn’t pick my name either, but fortunately Marr seems to have good taste.” There was more to it than that, of course; she had felt Marr reach out into the Force, asking, and the dark side had given him an answer.

Darth Nox was more than just a name. It was who she was.

“So,” she said after a moment, “Why Ravage?”

He opened his eyes and glared at her. “Why do you think?”

“Well,” Nox said thoughtfully, “It seems to me that someone wanted you to be feared, to be seen as someone with a great capacity for destruction—which you are, so good on them. It’s just so terribly unsubtle.”

“Yes,” Ravage remarked blandly. “It is.”

“I can’t help but think that had to be deliberate.”

“It was.”

Nox raised an eyebrow. “Care to elaborate?”

“No.”

“A very final answer. I see.”

Ravage continued to glare in her direction. “Is there a point to this, or are you simply trying to annoy me?”

“It’s a long flight. I’m trying to keep myself entertained.”

“And your idea of entertainment is pestering me. Somehow, I’m not surprised.”

“Would you rather sit there and brood the entire time?”

Ravage snickered. “I don’t brood, Nox.”

“What were you doing when I came over here, then?”

“I was meditating. Scanning for threats.”

“Looked an awful lot like brooding to me,” Nox said dubiously.

Ravage smiled faintly. “Brooding is for young men who don’t have the strength to do what’s necessary. I lost my capacity for self-pity long ago.”

“I see,” Nox said, although she wasn’t sure she did. “Is this leading into a discussion of body count?”

“Hardly. It’s about quality over quantity. Even you must realize that.”

“I realize a great deal more than you know.”

“Yes, that reminds me,” Ravage mused. “Since it seems we have nothing to do but ask each other unwanted personal questions, perhaps I ought to address the veil of mystery surrounding you.”

“I’m not sure I’d consider asking about your name a personal question, unwanted or otherwise.”

He ignored her. “At first glance, you appear to be simply yet another example of clawing your way from humble origins to the top of the pecking order. A slave who became Sith who became a very important Sith.”

“That’s me,” Nox said cheerfully. “Making up for my misspent youth, one Council meeting at a time.”

“I don’t believe you.”

Nox gave him a puzzled look. “What is there to disbelieve? My history is all very well-documented.”

“Don’t insult my intelligence,” Ravage said scornfully. “My history is well-documented. I’ve spent my entire life in the public eye. You, on the other hand, emerged seemingly from nowhere. There is no record of your existence prior to eight years ago, when you were supposedly first brought to the Empire.”

Nox maintained her polite expression even as a chill ran through her. She had been so worried about Seeker figuring things out, it had never even occurred to her that other Sith might have made more than cursory inquiries.

She had to maintain her cool. “You actually went to that much trouble to learn about me?” She fluttered her eyelashes. “I’m flattered.”

“Don’t think it makes you special. I keep tabs on all the Council. It does make me curious, though.”

“That’s nice.”

“If you’re trying to distract me from making my point, you’re doing a very poor job.”

“Distract you? Why would I be trying to distract you? I’m very intrigued to hear what wild theories you’ve cooked up.” That wasn’t even a lie.

Ravage shook his head. “You’ve clearly been very well-educated, although no one apparently bothered to teach you proper military strategy—”

“You’re never going to let that go, are you?”

“—and you know your way around Imperial politics far better than most. Your ability to talk almost anyone into almost anything suggests considerable training in rhetoric and psychology, as well.”

“I read a lot,” Nox demurred.

“That’s a miserable excuse, and you know it.”

“How is that miserable? I really do read a lot!”

“Two years of reading is not nearly enough to give someone the skills I know you possess.”

“Why, Ravage,” Nox said slyly, “I believe you just gave me a compliment.”

“I am perfectly capable of acknowledging the strengths of someone I personally dislike,” he retorted. “It is not a reflection of my opinion of them in any way.”

“And here I thought I was starting to grow on you.”

“There is a line between ‘liking’ and ‘tolerable for business purposes,’ and you are so far away from it I can’t even see you.”

“You can’t see me? Perhaps you need to get your cybernetics recalibrated.”

“That’s not what they do. Also, they’re specially made to be resistant to electrical discharges.” Ravage eyed her meaningfully. “For your future reference.”

“Of course they are. I wouldn’t expect even you to be that stupid.” Nox silently rejoiced; she appeared to have successfully distracted him.

“Why, Nox, I believe you just gave me a compliment.”

She laughed. “I only said you were somewhere above the lowest possible bar of stupidity. If you want to take that as a compliment, go right ahead.”

Ravage glared at her and said nothing.

“You know,” Nox said after thinking for a moment, “There is something I’ve been wondering about.”

“Is it time for the personal questions again? Wonderful.”

“You see, there’s a Sith who works for me, Siada Ilaes, who’s told me some very interesting things about you.”

Ravage’s mouth twisted as if he’d just tasted something unpleasant. “Siada is a lying, grasping, twisted excuse for a being with more ambition than half the Sith on Dromund Kaas and neither the power nor the brains to back it up. If you voluntarily spent more than a few seconds in her presence, you must be a masochist. I applaud your fortitude and patience.”

He never does mince words, does he? “My, my,” Nox said. “I detect the presence of some resentment.”

“I’m sure you do,” Ravage said darkly. “And I’m sure you’re just dying to regale me with all the sordid notions she put into your head, so get on with it.”

“Actually, I’m more interested in why, if you hate Siada so much, you took her son as one of your apprentices.”

Ravage’s expression turned grim. “Ah. It’s this discussion.”

“It seems very noble of you to put aside your personal feelings and give the young man the opportunity.”

“I made him work for it.”

“Of course you did,” Nox murmured. “I’ve seen Tevreth around the Citadel. He has such an air of determination.” She let her smile turn sultry. “I admire that in a man.”

Ravage waved a hand. “If you’re hinting at what I think you’re hinting at, by all means, don’t let me stop you. It would probably do him some good.”

Nox arched an eyebrow with calculated skepticism. “It won’t bother you if I sleep with your son?”

Ravage twitched almost imperceptibly. “Why should it?”

“Aren’t I the enemy?”

“Tevreth is smart enough not to be too taken in by your wiles. And he could use some motivation.” Ravage frowned in disappointment. “He’s twenty-five. I was already a Lord at that age. I suspect he’s a lost cause.”

Nox contemplated not saying the next thought that came into her mind, then went ahead anyway. “If this is what your relationship with your father was like, that explains a great deal about your disposition.”

To her surprise, Ravage was silent for a long moment.

“Sith and families are not a good combination, despite all our emphasis on pure blood,” he said finally.

“That’s news to absolutely no one.”

“You’re not from a Sith family. You wouldn’t get it.”

“I mean, I technically am, being descended from Aloysius Kallig and all,” Nox pointed out.

“Are you really? I always thought you made that up to give yourself legitimacy.”

“I did not! I have Kallig’s own lightsaber right here.” She patted the double-bladed hilt where it rested on her belt.

“You could have stolen that.”

“Doubtful,” Nox said wryly, remembering the trouble she’d gone to in order to retrieve the lightsaber. “But if you still don’t believe me, when we get back to Dromund Kaas, we can take a trip to the Dark Temple and I’ll introduce you to dear Aloysius. He’s very chatty for a Force ghost.”

“So there are Force ghosts out in the jungle,” Ravage said, clearly intrigued.

“Well…there aren’t as many as there used to be. But yes.” Nox checked the box in the back of her mind where she kept her spectral power sources. They were all still there, still very unhappy, and still inexorably bound to her forever.

Delightful.

“I remember your little display when you fought Thanaton,” Ravage said. “Those were actual ghosts?”

“Oh, yes. Not all of them from Dromund Kaas—I went on a bit of a collecting spree.” There was no point in being deceptive. Forcewalking was such a rare and obscure ability that it didn’t matter what she told him, anyway.

“So if I were to stab you right now, would you die?” Ravage asked curiously.

Nox frowned. “If I said no, would you do it?”

“Not when you were expecting it, no.”

“How very dishonorable.”

“I’ve never made any pretense of being otherwise.”

“Right, you’re Darth ‘Murder has no rules.’ How silly of me to forget.”

Ravage sighed heavily. “I just had this argument with Mortis last week. Do we have to go over it again?”

“No, not at all,” Nox assured him. “I’ve heard all your points many times.” In fact, she tended to agree, but she’d never admit that to his face.

“Good.”

“So, what did you think of Rictus’ latest proposal?” Council gossip would be a safe topic for the next few hours.

“Fifteen years on the Council, and that was one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard. Does he really think that…”

Nox settled herself into her chair and decided to time how long it would take, uninterrupted, for Ravage to stop ranting.

Oh, Ravage. She plays you like a fiddle you silly, silly man.

And she enjoys every second of it.

It's like candy only I can go back and rerererereread it over again whenever I want. :D

:o I'm flattered!

Updates should now return to the usual "once every couple of days" schedule. KotFE distracted me for a while but I think I'm able to focus on this again. Also, while the new plot is certainly interesting, I will not be incorporating any of it here. The entirety of this story is already planned out, so I'm going to stick with that plan.

Twenty-One

The Dune Sea, Tatooine

14 ATC

Getting out of Mos Ila without being spotted had proven far easier than Nox had expected. The hangar in which she’d landed the Fata Morgana had an exit leading directly out into the desert that was not a part of the standard Imperial spaceport blueprints. It was probably there for use by smugglers, but that was not Nox’s problem.

She’d acquired a two-person speeder that had been sitting fueled and ready near the exit—probably also for use by smugglers—had a brief argument with Ravage over who would drive, and then taken the two of them out across the sand towards the coordinates she had been provided.

“This is a trap, you know,” Ravage said for the fifth time.

“I know,” Nox replied, not taking her eyes off the horizon. The twin suns were at their apex, turning the Dune Sea into an expanse of glittering diamonds.

“I can’t believe I agreed to this,” Ravage muttered.

“I’m sure you can’t.” Nox frowned; was that dark speck their destination?

She peered at it, ignoring Ravage’s grumbling, and continued forward. As they approached, the speck resolved into a humanoid figure standing near a small sandstone structure that had initially blended in with the rest of the landscape.

“Looks like we’re about to meet our mysterious contact,” Nox said.

Your contact. I’m only here to watch in case you die.”

“You’re so sweet,” she murmured absently, stopping the speeder about a hundred meters back and hopping out.

Ravage moved up beside her, his disgruntled demeanor replaced by wariness. “I don’t like this,” he said softly.

Nox eyed the figure, which had made no move to approach them. From this distance, they appeared to be dressed in black Sith robes. “I don’t like it either. But we’ve come this far.”

She set off confidently, her boots crunching in the sand. Ravage muttered something she didn’t catch and followed a few steps to her right, just out of lightsaber range.

A moment later, and Nox could see clearly that the figure was indeed wearing Sith armor, their face concealed by a hooded cloak. As she and Ravage drew nearer, the stranger removed their hood, revealing a human male who looked to be somewhere in his mid-twenties, with short dark hair and the yellow eyes of one who had tapped into the dark side.

“Darth Nox,” he said, bowing deeply. “I’m glad you chose to heed my message.” He turned slightly and bowed again. “Darth Ravage. Not who I would have expected, but…I’m honored.”

“I’m sure you are,” Ravage said in a tone that could have meant anything.

“Well, you obviously know who we are,” Nox said. “How about returning the favor?”

“Of course,” the Sith said. He sounded nervous. “I won’t ask you to come inside—I’m sure you suspect an ambush. I know this must all seem very suspicious, but it was the only way.”

Ravage crossed his arms in a manner that conveniently let his right hand drift close to his lightsaber. “So far you’ve done nothing but waste my time.”

Nox glided a few steps closer, putting on her most pleasant smile. “Ignore him. I’m the one you wanted to speak with. Take as much time as you need.”

The Sith’s eyes flickered between his two visitors several times. “I’m Lord Necrosion,” he said. “I’ve been in hiding here since the death of my father, Darth Baras.”

Of all the things Nox had been expecting, that revelation had not been among them.

She raised an eyebrow. “You’re Baras’ son. Really.”

“I hate to say it,” Ravage said grudgingly, “But I believe him. The resemblance is unmistakable.”

Nox looked at him askance.

“Don’t give me that,” he snapped. “I knew Baras very well. He didn’t start the whole ‘masked and mysterious’ routine until later in his life.”

“Well, in that case,” Nox murmured, “It’s a good thing I didn’t bring the Wrath, isn’t it?”

Ravage turned back to Necrosion. “So. Baras’ megalomania finally did him in, and you’ve been cowering here in the sand like a womp rat ever since. Are we supposed to be impressed?”

Necrosion squared his shoulders. “I fled the Empire because the information I hold is more important than honor or dignity. Mock me as you like, my lord. I ask only that you hear me out.”

Nox cut in quickly before Ravage could start on about how honor was a lie. “Baras has been dead for two years. Why now, and why me?”

“I had to wait until the time was right,” Necrosion said. “Of all the Dark Council, you seem the most open to information that goes against the Imperial status quo.”

“I’m flattered,” Nox murmured.

Ravage made a small sound that might have been a snicker.

“You see, my lord,” Necrosion continued, “I know why my father—why Darth Baras—really died.”

“And here I thought it was because he committed high treason,” Ravage said dryly.

“He was set up,” Necrosion insisted. “The Emperor had his Wrath execute Baras to silence him.”

“Hold on a minute,” Nox interjected. “This was all a bit before my time, but I thought Baras went around telling everyone he was the Voice of the Emperor.”

“No one on the Council actually believed any of that nonsense,” Ravage said derisively. “A few supported him because it was convenient to their own interests, and he blackmailed a few others. It wasn’t enough, in the end.”

“What about you?” Nox asked curiously.

Ravage shrugged. “I went along with it for a while. When it became clear that the competent Sith I knew had been replaced by a paranoid lunatic, I ended my support. If the Wrath hadn’t come along, we would have removed him sooner or later.”

“‘We’? Are you telling me the Council actually agreed on something?”

“It’s been known to happen.”

Nox eyed him. “Marr browbeat you all into submission, didn’t he?”

“As if I would ever let—”

Necrosion cleared his throat.

“Ah, yes,” Nox said quickly. “You were saying? Something about a grand conspiracy?”

“Baras was a master of information,” Necrosion said. “He had spies all across the galaxy. He was even able to learn some of the Emperor’s secrets, secrets the Emperor does not wish for anyone to know.”

“I assume, then, that you asked me to meet you because you have those secrets now?” Nox inquired.

Necrosion nodded. “I do, my lord.”

“Why hasn’t the Emperor had you killed, then?” Ravage demanded.

“I’m sure his assassins will find me sooner or later,” Necrosion said grimly. “As long as this knowledge is passed on to the right people, my death will not be in vain.”

Ravage shook his head. “I don’t believe it. Baras would never entrust sensitive information to a pathetic weakling like you.”

Necrosion drew himself up. “I may not be as strong in the Force as some, but I’m still capable of doing what needs to be done!”

“I’m sure you tell yourself that so you can sleep at night.” Ravage gave him a contemptuous look. “Baras and I were allies for a long time, and he never so much as breathed a word about you. How disappointed he must have been.”

“I did everything he ever asked of me!” Necrosion said hotly.

“And it was never enough, was it? No, you were so utterly insufficient that even now, you’re still trying to prove yourself to his memory.” Ravage sneered. “Pathetic.”

Nox sighed. “Ravage, if you could be a dear and refrain from insulting my contact until after he’s given me the intel, that would be lovely.”

“It’s not an insult if it’s true,” Ravage said, his eyes fixed on Necrosion. “You should thank the Wrath. Now no one has to know you didn’t have the guts to kill your father yourself.”

Nox rolled her eyes. “May we return to the point of this conversation, please?”

Ravage half-smiled. “By all means. I think I’ve made my point.”

“This is not about me,” Necrosion said. His voice was calm, but his clenched jaw suggested otherwise. “The Emperor is planning something, and it is not in the Empire’s best interests.”

“I do hope you didn’t bring me all the way out here to tell me something that vague,” Nox said.

“No, that’s just the beginning. Baras learned the truth. He—” Necrosion stopped short, looking at a point somewhere behind Nox.

She turned. Three vehicles had crested the nearest dune and were rapidly bearing down on them.

“Well, this just got interesting,” she remarked.

“Republic assault craft,” Ravage said. “All the way out here, that can’t be a coincidence.”

“Two Dark Council members in one place is far too good an opportunity to waste.” Nox pursed her lips. “This is your fault, by the way.”

My fault?” Ravage repeated incredulously. “How is this my fault?”

“You made me tell you about this in an open hallway where anyone could have eavesdropped,” Nox sighed. “This is what you get for not listening to me.”

“They’ll be on us in moments!” Necrosion exclaimed.

“Good,” Ravage retorted. “I could use a diversion right about now.”

“Let me guess,” Nox drawled. “You’re going to pretend they’re all me, aren’t you?”

The three Republic vehicles pulled up a short distance away. Troops in armor painted to blend in with the sand started pouring out.

“Every last one,” Ravage said, and drew his lightsaber.

“Ooh, look there,” Nox said as a brown-cloaked figure dropped out of one vehicle and activated a shining blue blade. “This will be fun.”

“Just one Jedi?” Ravage frowned. “That’s no fun at all.”

Three more robed figures joined the first.

Ravage’s frown vanished. “I take it back.”

it's just not a proper party in the middle of Dune Sea without at least four Jedi.

Absolutely. Four Jedi minimum.

Twenty-Two

The Dune Sea, Tatooine

14 ATC

The Republic troops fanned out to surround the Sith, the four Jedi advancing in a lopsided triangle formation. Nox cracked her knuckles and rolled her shoulders, calling up her vast reserves of energy. This was going to take some firepower.

“Do you suppose,” Ravage murmured as the enemy drew closer, “They’ll ask us to surrender?”

Nox shrugged. “Probably.” She looked at the lead Jedi. “Is this the part where you ask us to surrender?” she called.

“I won’t waste my breath,” the Jedi declared in an Imperial accented voice that sounded oddly familiar.

“My, my, a Jedi with fire,” Nox said. “How refreshing—and unusual. Are you sure you’re on the right side?”

The Jedi pulled back her hood.

She was a Sith Pureblood, with black hair tied loosely back and bright golden eyes set in a very familiar copper-skinned face. Add a scar across her right eye and change the color of her hair to rust red, and Nox would have been looking at Darth A’tro.

If she hadn’t dug up the classified reports from Telos, she might have even been taken aback.

“I know my allegiance better than you, I suspect,” said K’saria Dhakar. “And I know better than to ask either of you to surrender. You’re both too deep in the darkness to be redeemed now.”

Nox laid a hand over her bosom. “Such flattery. I’m almost overcome.”

“I remember you,” Ravage said, sounding almost eager.

“And I remember you, Darth Ravage,” K’saria said grimly. “I will bring you to justice for the murder of Setia Aru.”

“Ah, so that was her name,” Ravage mused. “She wasn’t doing much talking while I crushed her neck. Most Sith will use the Force, you know, but I prefer to do these things by hand. So much more personal.”

Nox was impressed in spite of herself.

“Am I supposed to be surprised that you’re a sick monster?” K’saria demanded.

“And when that was finished,” Ravage continued blithely, ignoring her, “Elaedrin Myn fell to her knees and begged me to show her the power of the dark side. Only you escaped that day. I will rectify that presently.”

“Not if I kill her first,” Nox taunted.

Ravage glanced over at her and smiled. “We’ll see.”

“Enough theatrics!” K’saria shouted. “All attack!”

And then everyone rushed them at once.

Nox didn’t bother looking at Ravage, or Necrosion, nor did she even bother to remove her lightsaber from its clip at her side. Instead, she lifted her hands and reached inside herself to the cold, hollow darkness waiting there. She let herself fall through that hollow into the immeasurable shadow that waited between the stars, grasped at it, and made it hers.

The air around her screamed and surged with a sudden charge, and white-violet lightning ripped its way into existence, arcing outward from her fingertips, from the empty air, born of the sunless glacier that rested in the place where most beings had a heart.

Nox was not most beings.

Some of the Republic soldiers screamed as electricity burned its way through armor and flesh and nerves. Others perished before they could even take a breath, the sand fusing with their corpses as it turned to glass around them. One Jedi tried to block the energy with his lightsaber and keep advancing, but the storm was everywhere, it was all around him, and in the end he too was overwhelmed and fell silently with the rest.

In the eye of the storm, time had no meaning. When Nox finally stopped the barrage she had no idea how long it had been. She only knew that everyone in her immediate field of vision was dead.

She took a quick look around. There were far fewer Republic troops left standing than there had been at the start, and those left appeared to be attempting to regroup behind K’saria and another Jedi. Ravage must have gotten the third one.

Speaking of Ravage, where did he go? Nox wondered.

“We have a problem,” Ravage’s voice said from behind her.

Nox whirled, preparing more lightning in case he was about to try something. She was greeted by the sight of Ravage standing up and brushing sand off his knees. Necrosion lay facedown at his feet, unmoving.

“What did you do?” Nox accused.

“Nothing,” Ravage sighed. “Sniper got him.”

“Well, that’s damned inconvenient, isn’t it?”

“You’re the one with range. You should have taken the snipers out first.”

Nox put her hands on her hips. “Don’t blame this on me, you twit. This wouldn’t have happened in the first place if you had just let me talk to you in a secure location.”

“I was well within my rights to be suspicious of you,” Ravage said coolly. “And there’s nothing to be done about it now. Shall we kill the rest of them and be on our way?”

“Why, Ravage,” Nox demurred, “I daresay that’s the best idea you’ve had this entire time.”

She backed up out of his lightsaber range before turning to face the enemy. The surviving soldiers were making a break for their vehicles, while the two Jedi were charging towards the Sith.

How heroic, Nox thought, and delved into the darkness again.

K’saria leaped for her, lightsaber raised. Nox sent a bolt of lightning crackling her way. She caught it on her blade and crashed to the ground, rolling with the impact until she was back on her feet, her lightsaber leveled at her side in what Nox was fairly certain was a Makashi opening stance. Lightsaber combat, with its many nuances, was not her strong suit.

Lightning, however, was.

The dark side answered her call as it always did, materializing in the form of blindingly bright bolts that streamed forth from her hands to crash against the barrier of K’saria’s blue blade. To the Jedi’s credit, she kept advancing, pushing forward against the current one step at a time.

Admirable as it was, such behavior was unacceptable. Nox ramped up the power, stray bolts lancing out around her to fizzle away in the sky or glass small patches of sand. K’saria staggered under the assault, unable to keep moving forward. Nox continued to draw increasing amounts of power—more, more, more!—tapping into the reserves given by her bound ghosts.

A lesser Sith would have been reduced to a burned-out husk by the strength of the energy flowing through her. She sensed her eyes start to glow violet as she forced K’saria to her knees under the weight of her barrage.

Seeing as her target wasn’t going anywhere, Nox took a look over to see what Ravage was up to. His Jedi attacker was on the ground, decapitated, and he had a hand stretched out towards the fleeing Republic assault craft. She felt the Force warp violently, and a moment later the vehicle exploded.

“Hey!” Nox exclaimed indignantly. “You do have range, you lying bastard! You can’t blame the snipers on me now!”

Ravage turned to face her. “You are primarily a ranged attacker, which makes it your job to deal with other ranged attackers. And I wouldn’t kill that Jedi if I were you.”

Nox took a quick look at K’saria. She still had a grip on her lightsaber, though her veneer of Jedi calm was starting to fray. “Why not?”

“I’m sure you read those classified reports. This is the Wrath’s sister.” Ravage walked up next to Nox. “You shouldn’t deny the Wrath the satisfaction of killing her herself.”

Nox curled her lip. “It’s nauseating, the way you suck up to her.”

“I respect the Wrath, and so should you.”

“I respect her plenty. You just seem like you’re ingratiating yourself in the hopes of, how should I put this…” Nox raised an eyebrow. “Tasting the Emperor’s favor.”

Ravage shook his head. “You have a twisted mind. And this is not up for debate.”

Nox thought it over for a moment, then let her lightning fade away. K’saria collapsed forward onto her elbows, her breath coming in ragged gasps.

“I’ll be sure to tell your sister you said hello,” Nox said pleasantly.

“This…isn’t over,” K’saria panted.

“Of course not, dear. Now run along before I change my mind.”

K’saria proved herself to be not entirely lacking in sense as she scrambled to her feet and staggered off. At least one of the Republic vehicles looked to still be intact. She’d live to fight another day.

Nox turned to Ravage. “There. Now the Wrath can indulge in all the future fratricide she wants.”

“You saw reason. Amazing.”

“Let me guess: killing siblings is another one of those weird Sith cultural things I missed out on growing up?”

Ravage shrugged. “Something like that. Shall we go?”

Nox followed him towards the speeder they had arrived in. “So, how many family members have you killed?”

Ravage didn’t turn around. “Why would you ask that?”

“I just get the impression there’s a number, that’s all.” Nox climbed into the driver’s seat of the speeder and started it up.

Ravage settled himself next to her. “And what if there is? Will it lead you to make wild assumptions about my character?”

“Believe me, I think I know everything about your character that I need to.” Nox started to turn the speeder, then stopped. “Do you think we should do something about all the bodies?”

“Why bother? The desert will take care of it soon enough.”

“Fair point.” Nox put the speeder through a sharp turn and started back towards Mos Ila.

Edited by Vesaniae

The air around her screamed and surged with a sudden charge, and white-violet lightning ripped its way into existence, arcing outward from her fingertips, from the empty air, born of the sunless glacier that rested in the place where most beings had a heart.

This is the best. I agree with bright_ephemera & Morrolan, I really enjoy the imagery!

I'm glad everyone liked the imagery! :)

An important administrative note--I'm going to be doing NaNoWriMo, so updates during the month of November will be very sporadic if at all. I'll do my best.

Twenty-Three

14 ATC

Nox leaned back into the luxurious cushions of her sofa, watching the small, armored woman in front of her closely. A’tro was pacing back and forth, her cape swirling around her with each turn.

“Baras,” she said with unconcealed venom. “Two years dead, and he’s still causing me problems.”

Nox shrugged. “I don’t see why this has to be your problem. Just ignore it. I was going to.”

“This Necrosion you met with said that Baras learned some of the Emperor’s secrets, and knowing him, that’s highly plausible.” A’tro stopped pacing. “As the Wrath, it’s my duty to investigate this further.”

“And how are you planning on doing that? Everyone involved is dead.”

“Now that I know where to start, that doesn’t matter.” A’tro turned on her heel and started making her way towards the exit to Nox’s chambers. “Come with me. Or don’t. I really don’t care.”

That was an invitation if Nox had ever heard one. She extricated herself from the sofa and followed.

A’tro marched through the Citadel, navigating the maze of corridors with confidence.

“Where are we going?” Nox asked after a while.

A’tro waited for a nearby group of Sith to bow deferentially and pass out of earshot before responding. “Baras’ chambers. I had hoped to never lay eyes on that place again, but…”

“Desperate times call for desperate measures?” Nox suggested delicately.

“Not desperation. Necessity.”

“Ah. Of course.”

Several minutes later, they reached their destination: a door on one of the lower levels of the Citadel. Nox watched with interest as A’tro entered a code into a keypad. The door slid open a moment later, the mechanisms creaking in protest after their long disuse.

A’tro paused on the threshold for a moment, then shook her head and advanced forward, Nox in tow. The door ground shut behind them.

As far as Nox could tell, the place looked much like any other set of Sith chambers. There was a considerable layer of dust—apparently A’tro had sealed the place off even from the cleaning droids—but apart from that it all appeared quite benign. Still, Nox understood A’tro’s reluctance to enter. Memory could be a dangerous thing.

“I remember coming here when I was just an apprentice,” A’tro murmured, almost to herself, as she led Nox through a series of rooms. “It feels like an eternity ago.”

“To think, we were apprentices at the same time,” Nox said. “It’s a wonder we never ran into each other. Then again, I suppose we moved in different circles.”

“That’s true. I heard about what happened with your master and Darth Skotia, though.”

“I think everyone heard about that,” Nox grumbled. “I was the one who killed him, you know, even if Zash took the credit.”

“I don’t doubt it. Even then, you must have been very powerful.” A’tro stopped in front of what looked like a blank wall. “Here.”

Nox raised an eyebrow. “Secret door?”

“Yes.” A’tro held up one hand. Nox felt her gather the Force, and a moment later, a portion of the wall shifted and retracted, revealing an entrance.

“Very nice,” Nox said. “Very neat. I’m afraid I have to give Baras some credit.”

A’tro shrugged. “Give him all the credit you like. He’s past flattery now.” She stepped inside the room.

Nox followed. The entrance was small enough that she had to stoop to avoid hitting her head. “Do you not worry about Force ghosts?”

The room was filled with an assortment of computers and databanks that would not have looked out of place in Intelligence HQ. The tech was all a few years old, now, but at the height of Baras’ power it would have been the most advanced equipment available. Nox decided that she needed such a room for herself, and she needed it yesterday.

A’tro immediately went to a terminal and started it up. “Ghosts? No, those don’t particularly concern me. Also, please don’t touch anything. I had all the security keyed to me after Baras’ death, and it would be very unfortunate if you set it off.”

“Fine with me.” Nox leaned artfully against the nearest wall. “You know, I don’t think most people worry about ghosts. It’s an unfortunate mindset. They’re more prevalent than one might think.”

“I suspect you’ve thinned the local population a bit, though.”

“To an extent. At least the Council agreed to re-seal the Dark Temple; that should help matters considerably.”

A’tro frowned at the terminal. “I’ve been in there. I can’t disagree that it’s dangerous.”

“It would have been fine if the survey teams had been a little more subtle,” Nox sighed. “But no, they had to go and disturb Kallig, and now he refuses to go back to sleep.” She chuckled. “He likes to keep an eye on me. It’s sweet.”

“I can’t imagine meeting one of my ancestors.”

“Given that your ancestors were ridiculously violent, possibly cannibalistic Korribani warlords, I’m not sure I’d want to.”

“On the other hand, it could be enlightening…here.” A’tro moved away from the terminal as a nearby holoprojector started up. “I think this is what we’re looking for.”

It took a few moments for the holoprojector to warm up. Then the image of a masked Sith whom Nox recognized as Darth Baras appeared.

“A’tro, my old apprentice,” the image said.

A’tro tensed visibly.

“Yes,” the image continued, “I suspect if anyone is ever to see this, it will be you. Though I do not believe I have underestimated you, if you are seeing this: congratulations.”

Nox raised an eyebrow. “This seems rather personal. Would you like me to leave?”

A’tro shook her head. “Don’t bother. Baras is dead and gone; his words mean nothing to me.”

“How long have you rested on your laurels before perusing my records, I wonder?” Baras mused. “Do you still feel the sting of your injuries—for I would not perish quietly—or have you waited years, decades, drawn here now only by sheer desperation?”

“Necessity,” A’tro snapped.

And his words mean nothing to you, Nox thought. Definitely nothing.

“If you are here seeking answers, I have them.” Even in holo form, Baras radiated smugness. “You may find your victory is not so sweet after you have heard what I have to say.”

“Get on with it, you melodramatic—” A’tro stopped short, seeing Nox regarding her with a knowing expression.

“Your master, the Emperor, used you to destroy me,” Baras said softly. “Did you know that? Did you know why? You were never one to question your orders, old friend. I doubt you could ever have imagined just what is being hidden from you.”

“I hate to say it,” Nox murmured, “But that does corroborate with what Necrosion said.”

A’tro remained silent and expressionless, but her hands clenched into fists at her sides.

The image of Baras continued. “I have heard whispers over the years, found fragments of a greater truth that encompasses centuries and the entirety of the galaxy. With time and care, I pieced it all together. I learned the truth about our Emperor.”

Nox leaned forward, intrigued in spite of herself. It seemed Baras’ reputation for being an eloquent and theatrical speaker had not been exaggerated.

“The Emperor’s great power, his immortality, comes at a high price. Concealed and forgotten by history, entire worlds float dead and empty in the void—their living Force consumed to feed him. A being such as this has no care for political ideology. In time, Republic and Empire alike will fall before him.”

“That’s a lie,” A’tro hissed, her eyes fixed intently on the holo. “Another wild conspiracy theory—where’s your evidence?”

“I learned this truth, and I tried to stop it,” Baras said grimly. “Under my rule, the Empire would have quietly prepared for the inevitable war against its own icon. But if you are seeing this, I have failed. The Emperor is cunning, and his eyes are everywhere. He will not tolerate opposition.”

Nox kept her face blank, but her mind was racing. If this were true, if even a fraction of it were true…

She suddenly realized that she had a great deal to do.

“So, what do you think of that, Lord A’tro?” Baras chuckled. “The Emperor’s Wrath—Quinn tells me you take such pride in the title.”

“I should have killed you slower,” A’tro whispered.

Nox’s brain burned with curiosity, but she had a feeling that A’tro was in no mood to answer inquiries, no matter how diplomatic.

“How does it make you feel, knowing that it’s all a sham?” Baras gloated. “You, with all your power, possess no more freedom than you did when you served me. The Emperor will use you to destroy all who oppose him, and then you too shall fall.”

“How dare you?” A’tro spat. “How dare you?”

“I hope it burns you,” Baras purred. “I hope it rankles in your chest to know that all you have fought and bled for is a lie. I may lose this conflict of ours, but I take pleasure knowing that even from beyond the grave, I can still strike one final blow. Goodbye, apprentice. You will find proof of all this in my archives. Do with it as you will.”

The recording ended.

Nox eyed A’tro for a moment, then took a subtle step away from her. She looked calm enough, but in the Force, she felt ready to explode.

“Perhaps,” Nox said after several more moments of silence, “I should leave you to your thoughts.”

A’tro gave no acknowledgment that she had heard. Nox decided it would be prudent to put as much distance between herself and the seething Wrath as possible, and did so with Force-enhanced speed.

Back in her chambers, she gathered together all of the reports her followers had sent her about Force ghosts and artifacts. Faced with the possibility of a malevolent entity that could destroy entire planets, even her power was not nearly enough.

Just got caught up :D Wonderful as always. Like everyone before said, the imagery is spectacular, and I thoroughly enjoyed how you described the lightning.

Also enjoyed Darth Baras' 'living will' :D I could totally see him pulling something like that, and it really is a an interesting twist. I didn't mind Baras, if he hadn't done what he did, my warrior probably would have been happy enough to keep doing what she was doing...at least for a while :D

Great stuff, looking forward to more. :)

Baras does say during the Warrior finale that "from beyond darkness, I shall strike at you." And in this universe, he did.

This chapter, I haven't forgotten about Thaera! :)

Twenty-Four

Sith Intelligence Headquarters, Dromund Kaas

14 ATC

Thaera frowned down at the datapad in her hand as if her displeasure could somehow change its contents. A few steps away, Keeper looked as pale and solemn as always. She had recovered from the incident with the Star Cabal well enough to return to active duty, much to Thaera’s relief. Intelligence was far too much for one person to manage alone.

“How is this possible?” Thaera muttered.

“I’m sorry, sir. I wish I could give you a better answer,” Keeper said, reluctant to meet her eyes. “But with Intelligence at a fraction of its former capacity over the last two years…”

“Anything could have slipped through the cracks. I know. It was a rhetorical question.” Thaera sighed and laid the datapad down on the desk behind her. “So, what do we have?”

Keeper’s mouth tightened. “Very little. This is the first mention we’ve seen of this ‘Agent Eclipse.’ If the Republic forces on Tatooine had used a better encryption for their communications, we might not have even gotten this.”

“Knowing is half the battle, or so they say. I assume you’ve put the best people on this?”

“Of course, sir.”

“Good. This is a matter of the highest urgency, Keeper. A Republic spy in our ranks cannot be tolerated.”

Keeper nodded. “We’ll find them.”

Thaera stared grimly at the nearest wall, memories drifting unbidden to the surface of her mind. “I will not permit the SIS to get the better of me. Of us.”

Then her holocom went off.

She activated the device, audio only. “I thought I asked not to be disturbed.”

“I’m sorry, sir,” said the voice of one of the Minders in charge of internal security. “But there’s a Sith here asking to see you. She says she has an appointment.”

Thaera frowned. Darth Nox wouldn’t ask, nor would she need to. What Sith would possibly…?

Then she remembered that she did, in fact, have an appointment.

“Keep her in the entrance hall,” she said. “I’ll be down shortly. Seeker out.”

Keeper moved towards the door. “I should get back to work.”

Thaera nodded. “Notify me the instant you find anything on Agent Eclipse.”

“Yes, sir,” Keeper said, and left.

Thaera took a moment to collect her thoughts, then headed down towards the entrance hall. The discovery of the possible existence of a Republic agent embedded somewhere in the Imperial hierarchy had caused her to completely forget her other business.

Darth Nox had made very few requests upon taking control of Intelligence, but she had made one that had made Thaera question the Sith Lord’s capacity for reason.

Nox wanted Sith apprentices to go through the training Intelligence gave field agents. Only a select few, of course, she’d said. Those who fit the appropriate personality profile. And then she’d suggested that should these candidates pass the training, Thaera would use them as actual agents. Combine Intelligence discipline and resourcefulness with Sith power, and you’ll have the perfect operatives.

Thaera personally felt that Sith should stay as far away from Intelligence as possible and let them do their job, but she was in no position to argue with a Dark Council member, let alone the one who was now her direct superior. She had been surprised, however, when she received a message informing her that Nox had already found a possibility.

She stopped short before walking into the entrance hall, taking a moment to study the person waiting quietly off to one side.

Darth Nox’s candidate was a human female a little over five feet tall, with a build so slender that her plain black Sith robes seemed to envelop her small form in a shapeless cloud of darkness. She had golden-brown skin and deep black hair that framed an oval face. Her small, delicate nose, full mouth, and heavy-lidded dark eyes would probably be considered pretty by most humanoid species.

Thaera was never sure about human ages, but the Sith looked quite young, possibly still an adolescent. That was a smart move on Nox’s part. If this idea of hers was going to work at all, it would have to be with younger Sith who were open to new ideas.

The Sith noticed Thaera lurking in the doorway and moved forward with confidence.

“Hello,” she said, smiling. “I know this is probably a bit weird, but I’m supposed to meet with whoever’s in charge here.”

Thaera kept her face impassive. “That would be me.”

The girl’s eyes widened; up close, Thaera could see that her irises, which had appeared black from a distance, were actually very dark blue. “Oh. Uh, I’m Kettrien Byrd. You probably already knew that.”

Seeing a Sith, even an apprentice, become visibly flustered was certainly one of the odder things Thaera had ever experienced. “I am Seeker, head of Sith Intelligence,” she said coolly. “Darth Nox has informed me that you are a potential candidate to undergo Intelligence training. Is this correct?”

Kettrien nodded. “Yes, sir.”

The title seemed to come easily to her lips, another thing Thaera had not expected. “You are currently an apprentice in the Sith Order?”

“Yes, sir. Lord Savadar Ekari is my master—this was his idea, actually. He heard about Darth Nox’s initiative and thought I would be suited for it.”

“And how do you feel about it?”

Kettrien shrugged. “Honestly? Being a spy seems pretty cool.”

Thaera’s blank expression slipped as she found herself raising an eyebrow at that comment. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen.”

It seemed she was getting better at estimating human ages. “Excellent. Most Intelligence agents begin their training at a similar age.”

“Makes sense,” Kettrien said. “I assume I need to go through some kind of approval process? I mean, you can’t just dump a Sith in with everyone else. It would be awkward.”

Thaera’s eyebrow climbed higher. “Are you always this candid, Kettrien Byrd?”

Kettrien winced. “That’s probably a bad trait in a spy, isn’t it?”

“Our training program will help with that, if you qualify.” Thaera turned and started down the hallway towards Operations. “Come with me. There are a few tests you need to fill out.”

Kettrien trotted up next to her, radiating excitement. “Sir, I know saying this probably won’t make a difference, but if I can help out by doing this, it would be really great. I was born outside the Empire, you see, and I actually have some experience with this type of—”

“We’ll see,” Thaera said shortly.

Kettrien fell silent.

Thaera had to admit, the girl had spirit. It was a shame that Intelligence work would almost certainly break it. Assuming, of course, that her test results showed her to have the suitable character for it in the first place.

Perhaps Nox’s idea had some merit after all.

Oh, look. Another update. NaNoWriMo or not, I can't seem to stop working on this. :rolleyes:

Twenty-Five

14 ATC

A’tro gripped the railing of the balcony tightly, staring out over the dark jungle as if it held the answers to the questions she had been asking herself over and over. The cloud cover was unusually thin, letting the occasional ray of light slip through to paint the gnarled treetops red as the sun sank steadily towards the horizon. As she watched, a flock of avians rose up from the canopy and fluttered a ways before settling back down under the cover of the leaves.

The lights of Kaas City were a dull glow in her peripheral vision. The ordinary citizenry would be heading home, as curfew was not long after sunset. At night, the streets belonged to the military, the police, and the Sith.

This was what she fought for, wasn’t it? The people of Kaas City could go home at night and feel safe and content knowing that they were a part of the galaxy’s greatest civilization. To her, the Empire was an ideal: the ultimate manifestation of order, of society evolved to the perfection of an intricate machine with no part out of place. She had killed and bled for that ideal, and she had done so proudly.

Only now did she realize that it had all been a lie.

A’tro felt the Force shift as a familiar presence entered the apartment and made its way towards her. Quinn was back from the front. That was good. She needed to talk to someone rational, and there was surely no one in the galaxy more rational than her husband.

There were also few, if any, more loyal to the Empire. Surely he, of all people, would understand.

The door to the balcony slid open, then closed again, and a moment later he was standing beside her. He laid his gloved hands on the railing, close enough to hers to be intimate, but far enough to not be presumptuous. A year together wasn’t nearly enough to overcome the ingrained understanding that he must be wary and respectful of a Sith at all times.

“Welcome back,” A’tro said, still watching the jungle. Her voice seemed to belong to someone else.

“Thank you. I—” Quinn broke off as she turned to look at him, his brow contracting into a frown. “Forgive me, but you don’t look at all well.”

It had been four days since she had gone with Nox to Baras’ chambers. She hadn’t slept in all that time. “I suppose I’m not,” she admitted.

His frown deepened. “What’s happened?”

A small, hollow laugh tumbled unbidden from her lips. “You probably wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

Quinn hesitated for a moment, then moved one hand to rest on top of hers. “You know I will do whatever I can to assist you, if you wish it.”

His earnestness was so endearing that A’tro almost managed to smile. “I don’t know what I’d do without you, Malavai.”

He blushed a little at that. “I’m sure you would be fine, my love.”

Those two small words were enough to coax a smile out of her in full force, but it quickly faded as she reflected on what to do next.

Should she tell him? Quinn was a patriot, more devoted to the Empire than most people she’d ever known. If this revelation had shaken her, how would he react? Would he even believe her?

The darkest corner of her memory stirred.

If you stand with Baras, you stand against the Emperor himself.

The Emperor is an absentee landlord. Baras is doing what any real patriot would do.

She should have listened.

He was still looking at her with unveiled concern. A’tro took a deep breath, collected her thoughts, and made her decision.

“I’ve learned something,” she said softly. “I didn’t want to believe it, but the evidence turned out to be irrefutable.”

She told him about the recording Baras had left for her. She told him how she had spent the past four days scouring Baras’ archives, retracing his steps as he pieced together the data from history, from his spies, and came to the only possible conclusion. Throughout it all, Quinn listened silently, meeting her eyes unwaveringly, his hand still resting atop hers on the balcony rail as the sky grew dark beyond them.

“Many years ago,” A’tro said, “Darth Thanaton came to the Dark Council and told them of the secret Children of the Emperor. He drew too close to the truth, and in the end, he was silenced. Baras speculated that Darth Jadus knew the Emperor’s secret as well, and he has vanished from the face of the galaxy. This changes everything, but I find I have no choice but to accept it: in time, our own Emperor will seek to destroy us all.”

She fell silent, watching Quinn for a reaction.

“Much of this is beyond the scope of my understanding,” he said slowly, after a long pause. “I am no Sith, after all. But one thing seems clear: all those who have gained this knowledge have disappeared, or been killed outright. I find myself deeply concerned for your safety.”

A’tro blinked. “I just told you that the founder of our entire civilization likely sees us only as a potential energy source, and you’re worried about me?

“My loyalty is to the Empire and its ideals,” Quinn said fiercely. “Not the Emperor himself. If you believe we should oppose him, I will do so without hesitation. I can live in a galaxy without an Emperor. I do not wish to live in one without you.”

“I, ah,” A’tro fumbled for sufficient words in the face of that declaration. “I suppose you took it better than I did, then,” she mumbled lamely.

He looked a bit embarrassed at that. “I’m sorry. This must be very difficult for you.”

“Honestly? It’s the most difficult thing I’ve ever faced.”

“I can’t imagine what you must be going through.”

“Talking to you has made me feel better.” His willingness to accept what she’d said had already made the future seem brighter.

Quinn perked up. “I’m pleased I could be of assistance.”

A’tro nodded. “What you said a moment ago, about opposing the Emperor…is that what you think we should do?”

“Absolutely,” Quinn said firmly. “If we have foreknowledge of the enemy’s plans, it would be foolhardy not to prepare. Secretly, of course, but I do not think we should sit idly by and do nothing.”

The enemy. The Sith Emperor was the enemy.

That would take some getting used to.

“I’m not sure what we can do,” A’tro said. “We need more support. The rest of the Dark Council…I don’t know what they know. But Darth Nox might be willing to do something.”

“I cannot speak for the Sith, obviously. But the military seems to have a very favorable opinion of you, thanks to your efforts in the war. That should prove useful.”

“Hmm.” A’tro raised a brow-ridge. “I ought to have you promoted.”

Quinn frowned. “We’ve discussed this. I wish to earn my rank on merit, not as a side benefit of our relationship.”

“I understand that, but the fact remains that if not for your extended stay on Balmorra, you would doubtless be placed far higher than you are now. Can’t I make up for that?”

“I know better than to argue with you when you have that look in your eye.”

A’tro snickered. “Only you would try to convince a Sith not to reward you for your exceptional service.”

“There are too many officers who are more concerned with advancing their own careers than with furthering Imperial goals,” Quinn grumbled. “It’s unacceptable, and I will not be one of them.”

A’tro smiled cajolingly. “And if you let me, I can put you in a position to do something about that sooner rather than later.”

“You’d make me a Moff if I let you.”

“I absolutely would. You’re far more capable than most of the ones we already have.”

Quinn shook his head. “I’ll leave that up to my superiors to decide.”

“You’re so stubborn,” A’tro said fondly. She sighed. “I should go speak with Nox.”

“You should rest. You told me you haven’t slept in four days.”

“Purebloods don’t need as much sleep as humans. I’m fine.”

“I must respectfully disagree,” Quinn said in his most even and rational voice. “You should sleep for at least a few hours.”

He could convince her of anything with that voice, and they both knew it.

“Fine,” A’tro sighed. “Nox can wait. Just…thank you. For listening.”

Quinn inclined his head deferentially. “Whatever happens, I will follow you.”

Note: Darth Thanaton finding out about the Children of the Emperor occurs in the Blood of the Empire comic.

<3 (I have to pad this out to five characters to reply so <3 <3 as well)

I'm very, very proud of that line. :cool:

Twenty-Six

14 ATC

The invitation had been the perfect combination of polite, vague, and urgent to make Nox very curious as she made her way to A’tro’s apartment. She had a feeling this meeting pertained to the information revealed by Darth Baras’ message, and she was most interested to learn what A’tro had made of all that.

Nox herself had been busy for the past five days. She’d cracked down on her subordinates, reminding them of the penalty for failure—and, in the case of her more attractive male followers, the reward for success. Her motivating efforts had borne fruit, producing an approximate location for an ancient vault that was supposed to contain a number of Force artifacts.

It was on Nar Shaddaa, of all places. That planet was certainly a good place to lose things one didn’t want found. Nox had decided that it would be best to handle the matter personally, and had been preparing to leave when she’d received the call from A’tro asking to meet with her.

The door leading to A’tro’s chambers was, as always, flanked by two Imperial Guards. Nox wondered briefly if it had occurred to A’tro that they were probably there to keep an eye on her. Well, if she hadn’t thought of it before, she probably had now.

“Hello there,” Nox said, smiling pleasantly. “The Wrath is expecting me.”

One of the guards took out a comlink and muttered into it, then turned back to her.

“You may proceed, my lord,” he said respectfully while his partner opened the door.

Nox inclined her head graciously and stepped inside, mostly managing to suppress a spike of paranoia as the door slid shut behind her.

The antechamber was empty, so she proceeded into the main living area. A’tro was sitting on her low, narrow black couch, back perfectly straight. She looked up as Nox entered the room.

“Ah, there you are. Thank you for coming,” she said.

Nox took a seat in a chair across from her. “It’s not every day one receives a personal invitation from the Emperor’s Wrath.” She watched closely for a reaction to the title.

A’tro flinched so slightly that Nox’s trained eye barely picked it up. “We have things to discuss.”

“I’m sure we do,” Nox murmured. “By the way, did you change your guards? I seem to recall that one was taller than the other, but the ones outside right now are the same height.”

A’tro canted her head to one side. “You’re very observant.”

Nox smiled.

“To answer your question, yes. Zariel asked to be reassigned when Quinn re-entered my service, and I saw no reason not to allow it.”

Nox leaned forward, sensing gossip. “Perhaps she took issue with the manner of service he provides.”

“Given that she’s his mother, I’m rather certain she did,” A’tro said dryly. “But I didn’t ask you here to discuss my personal life.”

“That doesn’t mean we can’t still discuss it.”

“Yes, it does.”

“Fine, fine, deny me my fun.” Nox lounged back into the chair, which was quite uncomfortable. “What’s the topic of today’s conversation, then?”

A’tro frowned, folding her hands in her lap. “I think you can guess.”

“The Emperor,” Nox stated.

“Yes.”

“I take it you’ve been thinking about Baras’ parting message, then?”

“More than thinking.” A’tro sighed. “Nox, I looked at his records. Everything he said—it’s true. It’s all true.”

“So the Emperor really is going to kill us all? How dreadfully spooky.”

A’tro’s jaw tightened.

“That’s not good,” Nox added quickly in a much more somber tone. Contrary to popular belief, she was in fact capable of taking things seriously when the situation warranted it. “I assume you asked me here because you intend to try to do something about it?”

“Yes,” A’tro said quietly. “I’m not sure what we can do, not yet, but…I am asking for your support.”

“My support?” Nox raised an eyebrow. “My support for what? Some sort of covert resistance movement? A’tro, I am grateful for the information, and I will of course make preparations on my own in secret, but I have no intention of joining a rebel alliance.”

“Did you not hear what I said? If we do nothing, the Empire will eventually be destroyed by its own Emperor. We cannot simply allow this to happen!”

“If you want to directly oppose an entity with that kind of power, by all means, go ahead. It’s your funeral. I, however, prefer to survive.”

“And how do you intend to do that?” A’tro demanded.

“I have plans. But they are my plans, and I have no interest in sharing them with anyone.”

A’tro moved her hands from her lap to her sides, clenching them into fists. “It’s precisely that sort of thinking that has kept us from winning the war! As long as Sith continue to serve their own interests above those of the Empire, we will accomplish nothing. An Empire divided is an Empire weakened. I had thought you, of all people, would be able to see that.”

“I see just fine,” Nox retorted. “But I owe the Empire nothing.”

A’tro made no effort to keep her anger from showing on her face and in the Force. “The Empire enslaved you, so you won’t lift a finger to protect it. Is that what this is about?”

“Not exactly. But you’re close.”

“You shouldn’t let your past hold you back from doing the right thing. Look at where you are now. Through victory—”

“My chains are broken, the Force shall free me, yes, yes, I know,” Nox snapped. She fought back her irritation; this was not the time to lose her temper. “Even if I explained it to you, I doubt you’d understand.”

A’tro regarded her grimly. “Try me.”

“Oh, no, I think not,” Nox said softly. “You’re a Pureblood, born and raised with the understanding that the galaxy exists to fuel your whims. You have no idea what it’s like to fear and resent the establishment that made you what you are.”

“Fine,” A’tro snapped. “I get it. You’re not interested.”

Nox shrugged. “Don’t take it personally. Now, since we are allies, even if I have no interest in joining your cause, I’ll give you a free bit of advice: you’re going about this wrong.”

“Really.”

“Yes, really.” Nox rested her elbows on her lap and steepled her fingers together. “If I were you, I would not have approached me. I’m much too unpredictable and self-absorbed.”

“What do you suggest, then?”

Nox smiled. “It’s simple. Talk to Marr. If I were inclined to gamble, I would wager that he already knows at least some of this secret business about the Emperor.”

A’tro frowned. “Marr is a loyalist.”

“To the Empire, my dear, not the Emperor himself. There is a difference.”

“Yes, I’m starting to realize that,” A’tro muttered. “You think he already knows?”

“Of course. I doubt he’s stayed in power as long as he has by not knowing vital information.”

“Vowrawn knew too,” A’tro mused. “He must have. And that made him a target.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.” A’tro’s mouth twisted bitterly. “I was the one who killed him. On the Emperor’s orders.”

Nox’s eyes widened. Suddenly, everything made a great deal more sense. “So that’s why you didn’t want me pursuing that lead.”

“They told me to keep it a secret,” A’tro muttered, not looking at her. “I didn’t even question it.”

“My goodness,” Nox breathed. “I suppose that confirms Baras’ theory, doesn’t it?”

“Beyond the shadow of a doubt.”

Nox frowned slightly. “That doesn’t change my answer, you know. I’m not going to stick my neck out.”

“Yes, I believe you’ve made that abundantly clear.”

“I’ve given you my advice. Talk to Marr. Together, the two of you could probably take on half the Jedi Order all at once, so I recommend you get on his good side.”

A’tro raised a brow-ridge. “Does he have a good side?”

“Maybe not, but you can try.”

A’tro sighed. “Diplomacy has never been my strong suit.”

“I seem to recall saying a few days ago that desperate times call for desperate measures. Of course, the level of desperation is up to you, but I suggest you try.” Nox smiled her most pleasant smile.

“I’ll keep it in mind.”

“You should. Now, since I’m here…” Nox leaned forward. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that proposal Rictus made the last time the Council met. I was hoping you could help me prevent this foolishness.”

A’tro nodded. “Tell me more.”