View Single Post

bright_ephemera
09.02.2015 , 04:38 PM | #85
Part 3-43. In which Nalenne and Rho check holo records

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan Rishi questline. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

When public relations are strained,
You may find your actions constrained.
The troubled relations
And grim expectations
May leave your good name (sort of) stained.

“Have you heard about the Red Hulls? Their unholy triad is coming to Rishi, so watch out!”

Nalenne looked at Rho. Rho looked at Nalenne. The bipedal droid sauntered past, its optical sensor scanning the boardwalk with every suggestion of enjoyment despite the local rabble.

“We’ve got the droids mad?” mouthed Nalenne.

“I don’t know,” said Rho. “You do have a way with droids, though.”

“Ugh. That’s the closest thing to a low blow I’ve ever heard you deliver.”

The crew, those that were there, was crowded around a public data terminal. Nalenne hooked up the hard-won datapad and pulled the contents up for view.

“Holo records,” said Nalenne.

“Yes,” said Rho.

“Where’s Quinn?” said Nalenne.

“We sent him back to the ship,” said Vette. “He was sneezing? And complaining about the health and building codes on the docks.”

“Go get him,” said Nalenne.

“I can go through this,” said Rho. “It shouldn’t take long.”

“You’re actually willing to spend your time digging through an entire datapad’s worth of boringite, with or without revanite inclusions.”

“Someone has to do it. Why not me?”

“Do you not have the slightest delusions of importance? I thought they trained Jedi to be too good for everything!”

“A Jedi’s life is service,” said Rho. “Look, a contact named ‘Mystery Woman.’ That sounds odd enough to be ours.”

“It can’t be. I wasn’t done complaining about the indignity of looking for it.”

Rho pushed a button.

Two figures showed up: a man, and a woman in a masked hood that left everything to the imagination paired with fitted clothes that left very little to the imagination.

“Kai Zykken, greetings,” said the masked figure standing opposite the punchworthy pirate. Her voice was heavy with artificial modulation.

The man, Kai Zykken, simpered. “Well, he looks like someone I’d like to punch,” muttered Nalenne. Rho was silent. Nalenne had the overwhelming impression that this was tact speaking.

“I speak to you now to deliver a warning,” continued the masked figure. “The Red Hulls are one of the galaxy’s most feared pirate associations. They have just now set their sights on Rishi. As you know, the Corellian Run Scoundrels owe the Red Hulls a great many credits. There is no telling what will happen when you are discovered.”

“Did she just Force wave?” said Nalenne.

“I think she just Force waved,” Rho said glumly.

“I suggest you herald the gang’s arrival to draw unwanted attention onto them,” continued the woman. “I’m dispatching droids across Raider’s Cove to do the same. Or you could do nothing and suffer the consequences. The choice is yours.” The call blinked out.

“So how are you at identifying women by their cup size?” said Nalenne. “Because that’s the only identifying information I could really get from that recording.”

“!!” said Rho.

“Just asking. Jeez. I guess ‘ID by *ss’ is also out of the question.”

“Why don’t we investigate those droids?” Rho said in a strangled voice. “One passed by just as we were starting this.”

“Right, then. Droid!” Nalenne bounded away from the holoterminal. “Droid! I swear sometimes I try not to let these things escalate with your kind, but…” She made a low lightsaber swing and flung it after the retreating droid, knocking both its legs out from under it.

“I thought you weren’t escalating!” said Rho.

“I wasn’t. Quite the opposite, it’s lower than ever.”

The droid swiveled to face Nalenne and Rho was they walked up, companions in tow. “Greetings to you!” it said cheerfully. “Would you like to hear a true story about the legendary Red Hulls?”

“Oh,” said Nalenne, “do tell.”

The droid’s forward LEDs flashed and blinked. “Oh – I beg your pardon! I didn’t realize it was you! Two out of the three! That’s almost enough for the cannibalistic orgies to start! How exciting! Such a pleasure to make your acquaintance!”

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Rho said politely.

“Oh, indeed! My master did not prepare me for the sheer measure of awe I would be required to process! Why, in the time since your arrival you have already defeated the illustrious Gorro and Grumm, brought fear to the Corellian Run Scoundrels and Carida Corsairs…”

“…What?” Rho said defensively. “I was trying to have a polite conversation. With about fifteen people in quick succession.”

“Clarification: Matters took a turn for the violent. Fifteen times in glorious succession.”

“Yes,” groaned Rho, “thank you, HK.”

Nalenne made a token effort to stifle her grin. It fooled no one.

“Even the Nova Blades have taken notice of you!” burbled the droid. “My master would be most impressed!”

“Yes, about that,” said Nalenne. “I want to know who has you broadcasting these stories about me. Give me a name.”

“You may direct any and all questions to my master, as I have been authorized to arrange an introduction.”

“Yes,” said Rho, “do.”
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST