View Single Post

bright_ephemera
08.28.2015 , 07:41 AM | #78
Part 3-41. In which a reunion occurs

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan Rishi questline. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

This story contains very minor spoilers for the HK-51 acquisition questline.

I start taking liberties pretty early in this storyline.

There once was an android assassin
On targets galore he would fasten.
One shot to one kill
Was his ratio; still,
His social skills barely were passin’.

Nalenne, Rho, Jaesa, and Vette stood amidst the splinters of a former wall. People on the boardwalk were giving them a wide berth, as well they might since the announcement that Rho and Nalenne were leaders of the cannibalistic Red Hull pirates. Nalenne was feeling pretty good about things so far.

And then the upper edge of the jagged hole in the wall was knocked out of place by a gleaming durasteel head. The head was attached to a body. The body was attached to a truly improbably long sniper rifle.

The droid spoke.

"Observation: That fight could have gone much more smoothly with the early and emphatic application of superior firepower. Such as mine."

"You have an HK series?" said Nalenne, suddenly rapt.

"You know what an HK series is?" said Rho, suddenly worried.

"HK-47! Hero of Dantooine! Unless you were the locals, I guess. Revan's right-hand droid! There’s a whole spinoff series about him! Of course I recognize an HK!" She checked herself. "Wait. What are you doing with one?"

"It's a long story," said Rho. "Very long. With lots of walking in slow circles. But he's been a great force for good since I met him."

"Statement: I have eliminated many undesirables in the master's service," said the droid. "Passive-aggressive coda: not as many as I had the opportunity for."

“Do you have a brother?” said Nalenne.

“No,” Rho said hurriedly. HK-51 said something, not as loudly, followed by “Correction: Master, you cannot disable my vocabulator by Force pushing on my mouth.”

“I was just telling Nalenne ‘no,’” said Rho. His green eyes spoke desperation. “Now. I was close to solving the mystery of who’s been spreading these rumors about us. There’s a holocall with a local pirate who was ‘tipped off’ to our coming. It’s stored on a datapad. But when I went to retrieve the datapad…”

“Supplementary information: A monkey-lizard stole it,” said HK-51. “I regret that I did not get a shot off in time.”

“Our sole lead on the maniac that’s been dragging us into this bizarro world, and you let a monkey-lizard take it?”

“He was really fast,” Rho said miserably.

“So we have to find a monkey-lizard with a datapad in all…” she gestured around… “this?”

“It’s supposed to have a tracker on it,” said Rho. “That can narrow it down to the street at least.”

“Suggestion: I can clear the street once we have identified it.”

“That won’t be necessary,” said Rho.

“Don’t be so sure,” said Nalenne.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST