No Death, Only Wrath: Volume 3

bright_ephemera

Part 3-25. In which questions are answered and raised

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan introduction, Forged Alliances. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

Newcomers may draw more than stares:

Or, if we are honest, then glares.

Even after a win,

Once everyone’s in

Reunion’s a tricky affair.

The bedraggled party made their way across the irritatingly well-manicured public space of the Manaan drifting city. Everything was white and sunlit and disapproving of scruffy travelers. Nalenne stayed squarely between Pierce and Broonmark, her eyes hidden under the fringe of her battered wig.

Rho strode on ahead as if taking responsibility for the whole. Nalenne reflected on whether she could get him in one shot here. Answer: yes. But there were only so many times in one day she wanted to anger the locals while there were other, more interesting concerns at work.

Lana’s office, which had seemed large and gracious before, was now getting a little crowded. And not just with the crews; Lana had two guests, a redheaded Jedi woman and a Human in a red jacket and a distinctly birdlike crest of a hairstyle.

“I’m relieved you made it,” said Lana, standing. “This is…complicated.”

Niselle cleared her throat. “I’m Niselle. Darth Nox of the Dark Council. Fear me.” She nodded sharply toward Nalenne.

“Nalenne. Emperor’s Wrath. This is my crew, Vette, Quinn, Pierce, Jaesa, Broonmark.” She glared at Rho.

“My name is Rho,” he said. “I’m a Jedi. This is my partner Kira Carsen.” The redhead smiled, a little too brightly.

Everyone looked at the bird-man.

“Theron Shan, SIS,” he said in a confident baritone.

Nalenne stepped back. “Nope,” she said decisively.

“Nope,” chorused Pierce and Broonmark.

“Probably nope,” said Vette.

“Why not?” said Jaesa.

”No,” said Quinn.

“Oh, hello,” Talos said amiably.

“Lana,” drawled Niselle, “this would be a very good time to explain yourself.” She brushed idle sparks off her fingertips as she spoke.

“Of course,” said Lana. “I fully understand your reluctance, but please –allow us to explain. The way we were fooled by Darth Arkous – the same happened to Theron, except with the colonel.”

Theron nodded, his crest of hair moving stiffly with him. “And between what you found down in that lab, and what Lana and I pieced together, I can tell you they’re both traitors.”

Lana picked up. “Arkous and Darok are in league with a dangerous movement: a shadowy cult known as the Order of Revan. They used to operate in the shadows of Imperial space, but now their ranks include at least one major Republic figure.”

“That means I can’t trust my people, and Lana can’t trust hers – present company excluded. And if the Revanites are building an army of cyborgs…”

Nalenne crossed her arms and frowned. “‘Revanite’? It sounds like a rock. ‘Over here we have a big deposit of boringite with visible Revanite inclusions.’ I’m falling asleep just thinking about it.”

“Did you have a better idea?” Lana said dryly.

“Other than ‘anything’? How about Revanians? Or Revaners. Revanicians?”

“Is this cult really new to you?” drawled Niselle.

“Well…yes,” said Nalenne. “I don’t really follow cultist activities outside Hareth’s extracurriculars. Why, did you?”

“Sure,” said Niselle. “I joined them once. It was a lark. They nearly killed me. They were cheating, of course.”

That’s when the Wookiee burst in, roaring some long and impassioned statement.

“Who is that?” said Niselle.

“That guy who tried to roar our ears off when we rescued him,” said Nalenne. “Sort of. When we set him free down there in the lab.”

“And he’s getting involved in top-level international espionage why?”

“Revenge?” said the droid strapped to the Wookiee’s chest.

“Oh,” said Nalenne and Niselle in very different tones of voice.

“I can’t imagine why anyone would leave you to die,” drawled Niselle.

“That’s just what I was saying!” said the droid.

Theron stepped in. “Hey, uh,”

“Jakarro,” supplied the droid.

“Yeah, Jakarro. How would you feel about helping me track those two down?”

“Wait, first he’s in our party, then he’s inviting people?” said Nalenne.

Jakarro roared some more. Theron nodded as if he was following. “Eh, we’ll talk about it. Lana, will you be joining us?”

“I’m not sure ‘us’ has been determined yet,” said Nalenne.

Lana shot her an insufficiently apologetic look. “We don’t yet know how deep the Revanites’ influence runs. I must learn what I can from within the Empire.”

For a moment, no one could overcome the awkwardness of speaking.

“We worked well together,” said Rho, ruining it. “I hope you know you can count on me in the investigation to come.”

“There are a lot of things I count on,” said Nalenne. “You will never be one of them.”

“I’m forced to agree,” said Niselle.

“He saved your lives,” said Lana.

“So did a rabid gundark once,” said Nalenne. “That doesn’t mean I took him home.”

“You would have if you’d had a leash big enough,” said Niselle.

“That’s completely beside the point.”

“The point is,” said Theron, “we’re going to need to work together. I for one don’t see a problem. This threat is bigger than either of our governments.”

“So far ‘this threat’ has invented a real estate marketing spiel, vandalized two unprotected buildings, and failed to build some cyborgs,” Niselle said acidly.

“You can’t deny the influence that went into those moves.”

“Oh, I can.” Her bleach-pale eyes gleamed. “But I won’t. If these Revanites ever do anything substantial, call me. I’ll even work with him.” She jerked her bald head toward Rho.

“If she’s in, I’m in,” sighed Nalenne. “Force knows what you’d do otherwise.”

“I’m so glad we can work together,” said Rho, velvet-toned.

Nalenne groaned and turned away.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubling up today. Post 1/2.

Part 3-26. In which sisters engage in girl talk

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan introduction, Forged Alliances. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

This story contains details of a plot point at the end of the Sith Inquisitor’s Act 1.

One may stare full-on at the nether

When feeling, well, under the weather.

But hope springs eternal

With tricks, youth stays vernal:

Time’s arrow may miss altogether.

“I can’t believe Ashara actually spilled her montral polish in your ship’s ventilation systems.”

“She brings destruction everywhere she goes, I’ll give her that,” sniffed Niselle. “I can’t believe you haven’t left town yet.”

“It’s the sushi,” explained Nalenne. “Jaesa was negotiating for a pallet last time I checked.”

“And no law enforcement in sight,” murmured Niselle.

“If they take me you’re going down with me,” said Nalenne.

There was a moment’s silence. Niselle thumbed a quick message into her holo, then stowed it.

“It’s so rare we get these sisterly moments,” said Nalenne.

“I know. I appreciate that keenly.”

“Oh! Look at the time. I should really, uh.”

“Oh, do tell. – No, but really, don’t.”

“Oh, it’s nothing. Personal question, pure curiosity. You’ve obviously worked hard for your complexion.”

Niselle preened, running a fingertip down her bleached bone ridges and over her veiny cheek.

Nalenne palmed something in her pocket. “So. In light of that. Ever dug up any anti-ageing tips to help you with…you know.”

“Sure. I learned a Force ritual that will allow me to transfer my life energy to a younger host. Just consume an apprentice every couple of decades…problem solved.”

“Oh,” said Nalenne, hiding her jar of recommended skin cream behind her back. “Right, yes, I was going to do that too. Who wouldn’t?”

“Jaesa’s a prime candidate. That is, if the hanging threat of thirty is already too much for you.”

“Possessing Jaesa’s body would make things a little too weird.”

“Well, have you asked Quinn about it?” Niselle waggled her brow ridges.

“No! Have you asked Andronikos?”

“I don’t have to. That’s the glory of not caring what anyone else thinks.”

“I’m amazed sometimes that he hasn’t left you.”

“He has. Repeatedly. For you, once, or had you forgotten?’

“No, actually. That was pretty memorable.”

“Hm.” She wounded pleased. “But there’s really no one better for him and he knows it. And he’s tolerable enough to let back.”

Nalenne’s urge to hug Quinn was rising. “I’m going to go check the popcorn,” she said. “If I don’t intercept it Broonmark will, and you haven’t done sweeping until you’ve swept up after a Talz full of popcorn.”

Doubling up today. Post 2/2.

Part 3-27. In which Sith correspondence continues

This story contains spoilers for the Sith Warrior Act 3.

Behind the directions of men

A will flickers up now and then.

Look close and you’ll see,

Inevitably,

The blonde with the bombshell – again.

“It’s encrypted again,” Nalenne said glumly. “Why does she always have to do that?”

“For a modicum of security?” Quinn suggested. “If you’ll allow me.”

“Look, if the holo is good enough for the Emperor’s Super Secret Cult-a-riffic Hand, it should be good enough for a piddling little borderline-treason-peddling– oh. That’s long.”

“Yes, my lord,” Quinn said impassively. She hated impassive. It meant she was probably in trouble.

Pierce leaned in over Nalenne’s shoulder. “So Arkous finally cut Lana loose, eh? I wondered how long he was going to keep paying her after she made it clear that we’re not on board the Revanite train.”

“I see,” said Quinn. “According to Arkous’s message, the connection he perceived between Lana and you and your sister persuaded him not to invite her into the fold.”

“Can I just state for the record how not-my-fault this entire situation is?” said Nalenne. “Because it’s not. It’s probably Niselle’s.”

“’Arkous will see it was his undoing,” read Quinn. “His, and the Revanites’.’”

“How bored does she have to be to write these things?” mused Nalenne.

“Keeping an entire life-or-death agenda with all the associated political loyalties secret can be a stressful task,” Quinn said primly.

Pierce snorted. Loudly.

“I bet you weren’t sending encoded messages to random adventurers you’d met on the way,” said Nalenne, frowning.

“Well, no, my lord,” said Quinn. “Because I’m not an idiot.”

Pierce snorted. Loudly.

“Do you have something to say?” grated Quinn.

“Wouldn’t know where to start,” Pierce said cheerfully. “Stay tuned for coded messages, though, I’ll bet I’ll come up with something.”

I just binge-read the past week's worth of updates. Good stuff, as always. I will continue to be up to date now that I am back!

:) Glad to have you!

Great stuff. :D I think Jaesa would be a prime candidate too lol. Though her special ability might make it hard for to sneak up on her. Looking forward to more!

>.>

<.<

"Darth Nox!"

Niselle stopped dead, watching the repellent glow of Light Side energy dissipate from the kneeling figure. "Jaesa," she said wheedlingly.

Jaesa stood up and turned. "You were going to murder me."

"What? Me? No!"

"With that rock in your hand, for some reason."

Niselle dropped the stone tablet and kicked it behind her. "Was not!"

"In fact I think you have some needlessly devious end planned for me, though I can't tell what."

"Do not."

Jaesa leaned forward, smiling just the tiniest bit. "Or can I?"

"I was just leaving," babbled Niselle, backed up, tripped over her stone, twisted, and made a run for it. The quiet hiss "You creep," trailed behind her as she went.

Part 3-28. In which other parties voice concerns

This story contains spoilers for the Sith Warrior Act 3 questgivers, initial quest, and SoR Prelude mail.

Beneath every mattress, a pea:

So to some the whole world must be.

Supernatural senses

Will brook no pretenses:

They all must live sensitively.

“The tapestry is flawed,” pronounced Servant Two from within the depths of his cowl.

“I was just getting to that,” said Servant One. His eyes were closed. “Wrath. Are you dressed?”

“Yes!” Nalenne huffed.

“Ah.” He opened his eyes. “Wrath. Your Emperor calls on you.”

Nalenne stared up at the holo, where two of her least favorite Sith stood shoulder to shoulder. “I get that. Who’s the tapestry? You want me to kill it?”

“If you would just listen,” Servant One said stiffly.

Servant Two looked around. “The general?” he said.

“Off with Insanity Company,” said Nalenne. “He isn’t here at your beck and call, you know.”

You’re not here at our beck and call, and that’s your entire job description,” grumbled Servant One. “Now if you don’t mind.”

“Right. You said something about a carpet?”

Servant One’s jaw worked. “The Force moves through the Emperor’s Hand in a manner that few others experience. For us, the Force is an intricate tapestry woven into our very essence.”

Servant Two made a small questioning noise.

“Yes, now you can say it,” sighed Servant One.

“The tapestry is flawed,” pronounced Servant Two, triumphant.

“I speak of a persistent disturbance,” continued Servant One. “A cyst, dense and tangled and…unpleasant.”

Nalenne arched a brow ridge. “I wasn’t aware the Emperor’s Hand processed ‘unpleasant.’”

“We try not to. This disturbance began small and nearly imperceptible but has been growing ever larger. Wrath, I have already impressed upon you the need for you to be wary of the Emperor’s enemies and ruthless in their punishment, but the source of this basal disturbance is of the gravest concern to us and must therefore be subjected to the sheer vastness of your might.”

Jaesa was waving frantically from the door. Nalenne spared her a moment’s attention. Jaesa described an exaggerated female figure with her hands, then did it again. Then, desperately, tousled her hair. Then pointed back at the Hand.

What could possibly go wrong with notifying her employers of her clandestine search or rather waiting for someone else to do said search? The possibilities all pointed towards summary execution for treason.

“Right,” she said, ignoring Jaesa. “Definitely.”

Servant One leaned in. “Do not let the Emperor down.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” said Nalenne. “I will crush all tapestry failures wherever they may be. Though, if you want to put some research guys on exactly what I’m supposed to be crushing, I wouldn’t be opposed.” Who said she couldn’t be useful? Nobody, that’s who.

“The Emperor’s will be done,” Servant Two said redundantly, and the Servants disappeared.

“Is it just me,” said Nalenne, “or do they get less helpful every time we talk to them? And they started by declining to save our lives when we were pinned down by rocks in an abandoned venom mine.”

:) Glad to have you!

>.>

<.<

"Darth Nox!"

Niselle stopped dead, watching the repellent glow of Light Side energy dissipate from the kneeling figure. "Jaesa," she said wheedlingly.

Jaesa stood up and turned. "You were going to murder me."

"What? Me? No!"

"With that rock in your hand, for some reason."

Niselle dropped the stone tablet and kicked it behind her. "Was not!"

"In fact I think you have some needlessly devious end planned for me, though I can't tell what."

"Do not."

Jaesa leaned forward, smiling just the tiniest bit. "Or can I?"

"I was just leaving," babbled Niselle, backed up, tripped over her stone, twisted, and made a run for it. The quiet hiss "You creep," trailed behind her as she went.

LOL! That's awesome! I got a mini story :D Love it :D

Part 3-29. A Poetic Interlude

In a blast from the past I have old limericks for the usual suspects (spoilers for Sith Warrior Act 3):

There once was a Twi'lek named Vette

(Who, astoundingly, ain't been killed yet)

Though twice caught and enslaved

She just kept getting saved...

But she's not so well off now, I bet.

There once was a man from Balmorra,

Took a job with a Sithy signora.

Got in over his head,

Double-crossed her (it's said),

Now he's food for Corellian remora.

A padawan, Jaesa by name,

Sought a virtuous master to claim.

But what snagged her instead

Was a wacked-in-the-head

Once-Light Sith going bad without shame.

There once was a soldier who heard

That “authority” wasn’t a word.

He would win, and repeat,

Each objective complete,

But still flipped all his bosses the bird.

A Talz’s insane killing spree

Caused his clan to eject him. So he

Dealt some payback extreme,

Then continued his dream

With a Sith who endorsed him, guilt-free.

Part 3-30. A second poetic interlude

My apologies in advance.

Modernized limericks for the usual suspects (spoilers for Sith Warrior Act 3):

A trooper of ego unmatched,

A Twi’lek, a padawan snatched,

A loyal retainer

And one slick no-brainer:

Thus Warrior parties are hatched.

‘No-brainer’ sounds harsher than needed,

Especially since he’s defeated.

Smart or dumb as believed,

We’re all just relieved

His dastardly plan was impeded.

A Twi’lek named Vette, treasure-seeker,

Her silver tongue never gets weaker.

She’ll talk off an ear

If you let her; I hear

She mellows but never gets meeker.

A studious padawan (former)

May become a covert grand reformer.

To focus the light

Through what’s wrong to what’s right

Takes a steady and skillful performer.

On Taris a trooper was part

Of an effort one might call non-start.

He schemed an escape

With a Sith in a cape

Who would grant action close to his heart.

There once was a murderous Talz

With assortments of fierce battle calls.

We quickly see through him:

To all those who knew him

He had grade-A durasteel…nerves.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Part 3-31. In which nothing much is accomplished

A picture of neat domesticity:

For all it’s a dream of felicity.

Admittedly, trouble

May still sometimes bubble:

The truth is not always simplicity.

“Duranium Man,” called Nalenne, skipping through the bridge.

“Already?” said Pierce.

“Every two weeks since they bulked up the pipeline. I can’t believe what they’re doing with the Darth Totally-Not-Acina plotline. It’s one thing to disagree with the Dark Council’s technology policy, but they’re all but assassinating her.”

“With the latest and greatest,” Pierce said happily. “You realize he could bomb the entire Council to rubble and take over if he wanted to.”

“If he wanted that kind of responsibility he wouldn’t be Duranium Man,” said Nalenne. “I think he likes it where he is.”

“Hey, I heard someone speaking nerd,” said Vette, poking her head in. “Are you not participating in the Great Sunday Slave Collar Remote Hunt?”

“Sure,” said Nalenne. “I was just checking the holoprojector. Never know what might get stuck in a holoprojector.”

“Smooth,” said Vette. “Let’s see you work for it.”

“Says the slave,” grumbled Nalenne. “You realize I still own you?”

You don’t realize that half the time,” said Pierce. His basso mutter wasn’t actually much of a mutter.

“All right,” said Nalenne, “remote hunting. There’s got to be some panels in here we haven’t unscrewed yet.”

A muffled yell sounded from elsewhere. Nalenne bolted past Vette and looked around.

“My lord!” Quinn was holding something aloft. “By my estimate this must be the second largest dust bunny we’ve found on board.”

“Sith clan’s dumbest ‘estimated’ by using our biomass scale,” Broonmark buzzed resentfully from the other room. “Without asking.”

“One for the record books,” Nalenne yelled back. “Quinn, would it have killed you to ask?”

Quinn turned up his nose. “It’s your biomass scale. I had biomass.”

“Still a novelty to you, huh?” muttered Vette.

“Let’s get it in the trophy case,” said Nalenne.

“And then find the second biggest slave collar remote on board, huh?” said Vette. “Or the biggest. I’m not unreasonable.”

Part 3-32. In which Lana gives the next bit of bad news

Malevolent wills oversee

Production untiringly.

Although it sounds barmy,

An Infinite Army

Spells Trouble with capital T.

Weeks of joyful aimlessness were drawing to a close. The meeting place was a different caf shop on the Imperial fleet. Lana was learning, slowly. She had not given up the cape or the artful splash of golden Human hair.

“You look exhausted,” Nalenne said brightly. “Should we caffeinate more before we start?”

“No, thank you,” Lana said calmly.

“Do you actually eat or drink?”

“Yes, of course I do,” Lana said calmly.

“Something other than Patriotism?”

Lana looked shiftily to either side. “So. I’ve had time to confirm,” she said calmly. “As I suspected, the Order of Revan as it once existed is no more.”

“Oh,” said Nalenne, “no dumb nickname required, then.”

Lana shook her head. “A bit of a shame, really, the Revanites’ pragmatism may have been anathema to the Sith, but there was something appealing about it.”

“Oh, do continue,” Niselle said intently.

Lana cleared her throat. “Er. As the Order stands now, it doesn’t wish to change the Empire from within. It aims to destroy us completely, and the Republic along with us. Theron Shan is investigating why and how. He appears to be rather good at his job.”

“And so picturesque, too,” Niselle said idly. “Wouldn’t you say?”

Lana by this point was looking acutely uncomfortable. “I’ve been too preoccupied by our state of affairs to notice. So. I know I’ve mentioned before a strange disturbance within the Force – a sort of writhing mass tied to Darth Arkous. I thought I’d use my connection to Arkous to seek out others tied to the disturbance – Revanites working against us from within. I found a few.”

“And they’re still breathing?” said Nalenne.

“We need to follow this thread,” said Lana. “Theron helped me decipher coded messages between the Revanites. Due to your interference on Manaan, they’ve accelerated their schedule. But there’s a way to stop Arkous. Theron’s traced his activities to Rakata Prime. He and Colonel Darok are building their Infinite Army.”

“Cyborgs,” said Nalenne. “At least they’re not droids.”

“There’s more,” said Lana. “The implants they’re using – they’re made from pieces of the Star Forge.”

Niselle tensed with a barely audible hum. Nalenne blinked. “So?”

“It was a Force-imbued, self-sustaining shipyard. Rakatan. It required virtually nothing to create almost anything. It was destroyed centuries ago, but the Revanites recovered some of the wreckage.”

“Sounds boring, Lenny,” said Niselle, “I wouldn’t bother.”

“I’m blunt, not stupid, Nis,” said Nalenne. “I've heard of it. We need to deal with this.”

“Agreed,” said Lana. “The technology makes the soldiers nearly immortal. Seizes their minds as well, placing them under the Revanites’ full control.”

“Oh, do tell,” purred Niselle.

“All I’m saying is, slave collars were good enough for my mentors and they’re good enough for me,” said Nalenne.

“Yes,” said Niselle, “your Vette’s is so very effective.”

“It’s just about as effective as she deserves,” Nalenne said defensively. “Now. Can we at least agree to get the slave implants away from the bad guys?”

Niselle’s bleach-pale eyes gleamed. “And to the worse.”

“Ew,” said Nalenne.

A double, as I will be out and about for the next couple of days...1/2

Part 3-33. In which the party is selected

Best hurry or you’ll be too late:

The villain machine’s working great.

It merits a mention:

An Infinite Engine

Spawns problems at scary high rate.

Lana had arranged a rendezvous an hour away from Rakata Prime, the better to coordinate operations.

“Yes,” said Nalenne. “of course you had to be here.”

“Theron’s report was alarming,” said Rho as he ducked into their joint vehicle. It was, thankfully, larger than the last one.

“You didn’t think we were going to let you adopt the Infinite Army all by yourselves, did you?” said Kira.

“Who said I was going to do that?” said Niselle.

“She was going to do that,” said Nalenne.

“It’s nice to see you,” said Jaesa.

“Hey, likewise,” said Kira. “Save any Light Side Sith recently?”

“Yes, did you?” purred Niselle, eyeing Jaesa.

Jaesa flushed. “I can’t really talk about it.”

“Atta girl,” said Kira, beaming.

“All right,” said Theron. “Lana and I will stay with the ship. You’ll fight your way up to the temple. Arkous and Darok might be there.”

“Might?” said Nalenne.

“They move around a lot. Better hurry up.”

In the end they split: Rho, Kira, Nalenne, Vette, Jaesa, Niselle, Khem Val, and (at his own insistence) Talos took the forward assault vehicle while the others, Lana nominally in charge with Quinn breathing down her neck, took a vessel that would land at the beach and await further opportunity.

-- two hours later --

“Nice beaches,” said Nalenne.

“Are you even paying attention?” shrieked Niselle.

Nalenne chopped off another implant-ridden limb from the local warriors. “Sure I am. Look at this place! Beach home paradise!”

“Apart from the forest of self-replicating Rakatan nuisances,” huffed Niselle.

“Not for too long.”

Vette squeaked. “Is that a rancor over there? Or just a small building?”

“A small…walking…building,” Talos said slowly. “With no visible architectural flourishes. I think rancor might be right. Either that or I’ll have to heavily revise my notes on Rakatan architecture.”

“Nis,” said Nalenne, “he is adorable.”

Niselle preened. “Oh, I know. Come, let’s wreck the locals.”

A double, as I will be out and about for the next couple of days...2/2

Part 3-34. In which we reach the bosses

Darth Arkous, a Councilor type,

Gave the Empire mountains of hype.

But try to see past,

His showboat won’t last:

His patriot-speak was just tripe.

A man who from Coruscant hailed

Tried to see ‘Pubbie politics nailed.

But his machinations

paid off in frustrations:

It’s obvious (no?) that he failed.

The beach was stormed, the jungle purged, the great stone temple decisively occupied. A pavilion at the top held three things: a small battered-looking freighter, Colonel Darok, and Darth Arkous.

“If you run off and leave us under bombardment again I swear to–” said Niselle.

“AAAAAA,” yelled Nalenne, leaping.

Darth Arkous flicked a coruscating lash of lightning and sidestepped. “Have you no standards? We haven’t even spoken yet.”

Nalenne stopped, lightsaber at the ready. “I’m saving time,” she said resentfully.

Arkous opened his mouth, but Rho spoke louder. “It’s time to bring you to justice,” said the Jedi.

“Or the conclusion of the usual round of political infighting,” said Niselle. “Which is similar to justice in most respects.”

“No, it’s not,” said Rho.

“Are we seriously debating the merits of killing cultists?” said Nalenne. “Because let’s not.” Khem Val growled something approving.

Just then, Colonel Darok opened fire.

The fight was a mess. Darok proved to have more gadgets than visible pockets, and Darth Arkous, whatever he lacked in subtlety, he more than gained in Force power. Even as Khem Val and the Jedi closed, and the Force-blinds started placing blaster fire, Nalenne set about breaking through Darok’s defenses.

It was some time later that Niselle’s most unpleasant voice rang out. "Keep them alive for questioning."

Nalenne looked up from Darok's unmoving form. "Oops."

"You've changed nothing!" cackled Arkous. "And if you think you're going to pry answers out of me, you're as insane as you are gullible."

"I know she is, but what am I?" said Niselle.

Rho, having closed Darok’s eyes and arranged his arms over his chest, looked up. "It's not too late, Arkous. I feel the good in you."

Arkous took a fraction of a second to boggle. "Who the hell is this?"

“Don’t worry,” said Niselle, “he’s next. Now. About the Revanites.”

“Not a word,” Arkous called, shoving a white-hot stream of raw power in her direction. Niselle raised her lightsaber and, scowling, started directing the power off to the side, specifically where no one important would get hit. Nalenne jumped out of that spot and bodychecked Rho into the clear.

It was Khem Val’s last swing that got him. The Dashade followed the tall Pureblood down and, kneeling, summoned the stomach-twisting purple energy that would let him siphon his prey’s life force.

“Did I say to eat him?” Niselle said pointedly.

“No one else was going to,” said Khem, a little thickly.

Nalenne’s holo crackled. She took it out to see the miniature forms of Theron and Lana.

“You,” Niselle said curtly. “Arkous and Darok were never going to be taken alive.”

Khem Val made a small contented noise.

“I felt Darth Arkous’s passing,” said Lana. “This is an unfortunate turn.”

Theron took over. “Blast it! Those two were running the show. They were our best hope of exposing the Revanites.”

“Yeah,” Nalenne said awkwardly. “How sad.”

“Nice self-control there, Mr. Top Secret Agent Man,” coughed Vette.

Lana raised a staying hand. “No. They weren’t in charge. The disturbance in the Force, I still feel it. It’s…arrived.”

“That sounds like a personal problem,” muttered Nalenne.

An odd change had come over Rho’s face. The Mirialan opened his mouth. “Trouble,” he said.

And above them in the sky, ships streaked out of nowhere and parked at just the sort of altitude you wouldn’t expect a ship to stop at.

The voice boomed across the rooftop as if there were speakers or any kind of infrastructure whatsoever to support it. “As important as Arkous and Darok were to the cause, their deaths won’t stop us. They won’t even slow us down.”

Rho, having closed Darok’s eyes and arranged his arms over his chest, looked up. "It's not too late, Arkous. I feel the good in you."

Arkous took a fraction of a second to boggle. "Who the hell is this?"

A perfect cinnamon roll too good for this galaxy, too pure.

“Did I say to eat him?” Niselle said pointedly.

“No one else was going to,” said Khem, a little thickly.

This is why it's always best to bring a packed lunch along for a day of enemy destroying.

The voice boomed across the rooftop as if there were speakers or any kind of infrastructure whatsoever to support it.

Melodrama is such a Sith thing.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next, especially everyone's reaction to The Big Bad. :D

Part 3-35. In which we get to the title screen

This story also contains spoilers for a possible ending of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

There once was a man[?] from [uh, mumble]

Who through a good game did once bumble.

His[?] canon, once set,

Posed a palpable threat,

And threw older players a-jumble.

“I know that voice…” said Theron.

“It’s Revan,” said Lana.

“Wait, how do you know that?” said Niselle.

“Revan’s dead,” said Nalenne. “Most three hundred year old Humans are.”

“I almost had the Infinite Army I wanted so badly,” boomed the voice. A vast holo figure appeared over the temple roof: a hood, an unmistakable mask.

“They sell those in the one gift shop remaining on Taris,” said Vette.

“Revan wasn’t even a man,” said Nalenne. “Everyone knows that. And then she died. In glorious battle beyond the edge of known space. I read about it.”

There was a pause.

“You read?” said Lana.

"Comic books," coughed Niselle.

“Spectacle put out a whole series about her,” said Nalenne.

“But even without them,” boomed the Revan mask, “I have enough.”

“She’s a personal hero, really,” said Nalenne. “I mean, how many people get to troll the Jedi Council as much as she did? She ripped their whole self-serving spiel out from under them. And then did it again while blindfolded and amnesiac.”

“Are you even listening to me?”

Nalenne irritably twitched a shoulder while she looked up. “Nope. You’re dead.”

“Oh, I died – for all of a blink. I’ve been reborn. My mind is clearer, my power intensified. And now, with the order under my command, I’m unstoppable.”

“We’re taught about you at the Academy,” said Rho. “The Jedi aren’t mad. They’re just disappointed.”

“And we’ve been stopping you at every juncture for months,” said Niselle. She appeared to be calculating furiously.

“Un. Stoppable,” said the mask, sounding annoyed. “Furthermore I just ordered my fleet to open fire. You’re no longer part of the equation.”

The atmosphere shivered. Suddenly a red blast the width of a speeder crashed into the side of the temple. The temple was not built for this kind of dynamics.

Everyone looked around.

Niselle pointed at Rho. “We leave him here, right?”

“Escape first,” advised Vette. “Kill Jedi after.”

“She said it, not me,” said Nalenne, throwing up a Force shield so blunt as to be more of a racing wave of force punching the incoming laser blasts hard enough to redirect.

They ran for the ship. It seemed like their best bet.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/1d26c370e9e17e845d9486fad904c350/tumblr_inline_n1qbjrCxYq1rzbsdm.png

Part 3-36. In which contraband gets the hell out

A sweet Alderaanian chick

Had a freighter both subtle and quick.

She carried transactions

For dissident factions

But ran when the trouble got thick.

The freighter’s ramp was open, and a striking brunette in a long coat was waving people on board in a crazed effort at command.

Nalenne slowed, ignoring the bombardment behind her. "Wait a minute. Do I know you?"

“I’d love to discuss it when we’re not here,” she said. “Come on!”

The entirety of the landing party, minus those who had been left with the ship back on the beachhead, crowded into a cargo hold dominated by hanging nets and haphazardly piled shipping crates. What appeared to be a collection of carbonite-frozen small animals covered one sloping wall.

Niselle looked around, nostrils flaring. “Is this ship yours?”

“Nah,” said the brunette, tossing a long braid back over her shoulder. “Owner is pilot is not here.”

“I see.” Niselle turned on her heel and walked out.

Both Nalenne and the brunette gave chase. “Hey,” said the latter, “no customers on the bridge–”

Niselle whirled and raised one veiny white hand. “Consider what you just saw happen to your last clients. Consider, very carefully, just what rules you wish to assert with me.”

“Yeah, what she said,” said Nalenne, scowling fearsomely.

The purple Force glow that had formed over the brunette’s head sparked once, furiously, and the woman ducked. “Right,” she said, “these guys get the run of the ship. Can I get you a drink while you’re at it?”

“I’m allergic to sarcasm,” drawled Niselle. “Violently so. You wouldn’t want to see it.”

The brunette visibly bit down on something, then let out a slow breath. “Right. My lord.”

Niselle smiled. “Now, then. To the bridge.”

The bridge was a crowded affair festooned with buttons, levers, helpfully labeled cables, unhelpfully labeled cables, and large friendly labels on a random but insufficient percentage of the controls.

“Not now, Rish, lemme just–” The woman in the pilot’s seat cut left, hard, and spun around incoming fire. “Check the astrogation numbers. Quickly please.”

“Yes, cap’n.” Lithe and lightning-quick the brunette slid into a seat a few paces away the captain and leaned over a computer display. “How’s–?”

“Anything,” the pilot said, wrenching another spin. “How’s five seconds?”

“Aye-aye.” The brunette reached up and started hitting switches. Seconds later the pilot grasped a large handle labeled simply “MINE” and pulled. The battle jerked away from them and then they were racing into the whiteness outside stars.

The pilot stood. She was a dark-skinned, black-haired Human in a battered, stained waist-length jacket. She had very large, very dark eyes. Very large.

“So,” she said. “I see we made some friends.”

“Sorry, captain,” said the brunette. “Nic, unless I’m seriously misinformed these are the Emperor’s Wrath and the Dark Council’s favorite daughter. Ladies, Captain Nic.”

Nic went through an elaborate bow. “It’s an honor. Really. I haven’t been this honored in days at least. I love getting honored by Sith. It’s so…distinguished, you know?”

Niselle seemed to be studying the surroundings, perhaps wondering whether there was a clean surface in the place. Nalenne stepped in. “You were waiting to evacuate Arkous and Darok?”

Nic put up her hands. “They paid me. In advance. Very well. Nice guys.”

“You’re working for the Revanites. You know that, right?”

"The who? I got no political leanings a few credits can't fix, if you take my meaning."

"Where's the Mon Calamari? I thought he was your ace pilot."

Nic’s eyes darted from side to side. "Yeah, he, uh, broke his flippers. I mean, his fingers. All of ‘em. Real bad. I had to step in."

"He's not your pilot at all, is he." Nalenne glared. "That time I tried to hire you. You just didn't want to go to Voss!"

"Who would, really?"

"I got married there, you know."

Nic was all innocent curiosity. "And how'd that work out for you?"

Nalenne scowled. "A lot better than this conversation is going to work out for you."

Nic sucked in air through her teeth and spun back down to her seat. "Right. Flying now."

Part 3-37. In which the party splits

An arrangement that’s made for convenience

Can’t guarantee mutual lenience.

When push comes to shove,

The absence of love

Makes mountains of each little grievance.

The cargo bay had been somewhat reconfigured to fashion seats out of the various crates. A close observer would note that there were still no clean surfaces. The gallery of carbonite-frozen pets had been mostly hidden by a grimacing Rho, who now sat with his back to them.

“So,” said Niselle as she re-entered. “Rho. You can die now.”

“Okay,” said Nalenne.

“No!” said Kira and Jaesa. Kira’s lightsaber was out, quick as that.

“You needed us back there,” said Kira.

“That has absolutely no bearing on your uselessness to me now,” said Niselle.

Khem Val chuckled.

“Shouldn’t we wait until we know whether we’re the only living people who know about the Revanites?” Jaesa said. “You know. The rest of our crews and everything?”

“I for one could go for a cease-fire until we know just how us-against-the-galaxy it is,” said Vette.

“This is why I can’t take you anywhere,” said Nalenne. “You’re making me look un-bloodthirsty in front of my sister.”

“My dear, they can only contribute to making you look bad. You do the gundark’s share yourself.”

“There’s no need for us to fight,” said Rho. “We’re really making a difference here. I hope this means we can learn to set aside our differences and-"

Nalenne raised one hand and formed a yapping mouth.

"- join together for a common cause-"

Nalenne rolled her eyes and yapped faster.

"- for the good of us all."

“I think it’s a great idea,” said Jaesa.

“Lenny,” said Niselle, “would you consider sending your apprentice to Korriban Academy so I can kick her out of it again? With prejudice?”

“I don’t know,” said Nalenne. “What’s Rho done lately that’s so bad?”

“He pretty much saved a planet back there,” Niselle said disdainfully.

“Well, yes, but so did we,” said Nalenne. “I don’t know. Jaesa, would you settle for killing Rho and keeping Kira?”

“No!” said Jaesa and Kira.

“Then we’re kind of at an impasse.”

“He is only a little Jedi,” said Khem Val. “I could kill him.”

“No, don’t,” sighed Niselle, loudly. “Lenny would never let me hear the end of it.”

“See?” said Rho. “An alliance for the common good.”

Both sisters groaned.

Part 3-38. In which the afterglow is put out

Once you and someone are through,

You may try to leave with ‘adieu.’

They may counter-try:

The long wave goodbye

Is sometimes more long than you knew.

A coded message. Again.

Manaan. Again.

“Manaan?” said Nalenne, incredulous. “I already threw out my wig! Now I have to get another?”

The holo flicked on. “Nalenne,” Niselle said sharply. “Did you receive this?”

“Yes. Who does she think she is?”

“It’s intriguing she can’t meet us back at the fleet,” said Niselle. “All the same, we should go find out what happened.”

“And get the rest of our crews back,” agreed Nalenne.

On the flight over, she managed to fish out and somewhat salvage her wig.

There, in the office on Manaan, were the whole gang: their missing crews, Lana Beniko, her pet Wookiee, Therobird Shan. And Rho. Only Niselle was missing.

“Everyone’s all right?” said Nalenne.

“We should be asking you,” said Lana. “We’ve really stung them this time, and they’re stinging back. Jakarro’s had twelve death sentences declared on him. Theron’s been disavowed by the SIS…and the Empire has placed a bounty on my head for the murder of Darth Arkous.”

“Funny, nobody hates me any more than they did before,” said Nalenne. “What about you, Jedi?”

“I think I’m still banned from that one cantina on Coruscant for that one tiny misunderstanding,” said Kira. “Nothing else that I know about.”

“Nothing for me, either,” said Rho.

“How convenient,” said Nalenne.

Niselle stomped in. Behind her, in full battle array, were Andronikos, Ashara, Talos, Xalek, and a thoughtfully chewing Khem Val.

“Did you get captivated by a mirror on the way?” Nalenne said pointedly.

“I got arrested,” said Niselle through clenched teeth. “For a list of your crimes that it took their stupid police two hours to read through.”

“You could have just killed them earlier.”

“There were a lot of them.”

Khem Val burped.

“Don’t tell me there were Force users,” said Nalenne.

Khem Val hummed happily.

“Is that the worst they’ve got on you?” said Nalenne. “Looks like Lana and company are getting bounties heaped on them after our little Revan fiasco.”

“If I met a guy who looked like Theron I’d put a bounty on him, too,” Niselle said dismissively. “Maybe I did and just forgot.”

“But you and I seem pretty clear otherwise,” said Nalenne.

Lana’s yellow eyes were half lidded. “No doubt Revan assumes you dead.”

“Oh, then good thing he wasn’t standing right there when our intact ship broke atmosphere immediately in front of his fleet and then zipped off into hyperspace,” Niselle said flatly.

“He had a lot on his mind,” said Lana. “Monologuing, for one thing.”

“He wasn’t very good at it,” said Nalenne. “All things considered. I’ve heard better.”

“To be fair,” said Vette, “your job does put you up against the best Jedi monologuers in the galaxy.”

“He could have at least tried,” said Nalenne. “There are certain expectations about leading a cult.”

“You’ve got that right,” said Niselle. “This supposed Revan? Cut-rate material. I dare say I could do better.”

“Not that you have to,” Rho said hurriedly.

“Yes,” said Niselle, “of course.”

“Anyway,” said Theron, “Lana and I are going to go lay low for a while. You’d better keep doing what you do. We can’t have the Empire and Republic falling apart on us now.”

“We’ll do our part,” Rho said stoutly.

“I told you we should have killed him,” said Niselle.

“I’m not killing Jaesa’s friend’s…er, best…”

“Lover?” Niselle said, with relish.

“More of a…”

“Forbidden passion?” Niselle said maliciously.

“I was more going for…”

“Illicit sex animal?” said Niselle. Rho was turning a shade of dark green more often seen on jungle planets.

“Yeah, that,” said Nalenne. “I don’t want to kill that. I happen to know a little something about prematurely killing someone you like. It’s not pretty. Besides, he’s probably more entertaining alive.”

“Hmph.” Niselle turned away.

“So where are you going to ride this out?” said Nalenne.

“At my job, I imagine,” said Niselle.

“Didn’t see that one coming,” muttered Andronikos.

“Some of us,” she said, “do have day jobs.”

Here we conclude Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Prelude: Shadow of Revan: Proliferation of Subtitles: And Abuse of Colons. It’s the longest stretch of game plot Nalenne, Niselle, and Rho have ever conquered.

The spoiler policy has shifted: from SoR Prelude, it now covers Shadow of Revan: Rishi. Class-specific content will still be spoiler marked in bold.

Thanks for reading! :)

I’ll be hosting a Q&A all weekend, to be answered Sunday; if you have questions about the girls, the NDOW universe, my take on game events, or anything in the greater Bright!verse, fire away.

Here we conclude Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Prelude: Shadow of Revan: Proliferation of Subtitles: And Abuse of Colons. It’s the longest stretch of game plot Nalenne, Niselle, and Rho have ever conquered.

The spoiler policy has shifted: from SoR Prelude, it now covers Shadow of Revan: Rishi. Class-specific content will still be spoiler marked in bold.

Thanks for reading! :)

I’ll be hosting a Q&A all weekend, to be answered Sunday; if you have questions about the girls, the NDOW universe, my take on game events, or anything in the greater Bright!verse, fire away.

quoting beccause I assume this might end up at the top of the next page.

Anyway I loved this and as I read through I had forgotten that Quinn was "Sith clan’s dumbest" and I choked on my coffee. :D

So I have a question. If the girls both make it to KoTFE and one of them was in carbonite and not the other will they continually make fun of how the other one looks much "older" now? XD

Other questions: Rho-Jaesa-Kira "poly-amorous illicit sex animals" yes?

I love your descriptions of people and places. I have been giggling a lot while catching up. I'll see Manaan, Theron, and Darok with different eyes from now on.

I am looking forward to see who will be your pirate captain. Can't see any choice sitting well with the other applicant(s) :)

Q&A!

Q: What inspired the sisters?

A: Nalenne was a combination of two factors. Factor one was the hilarity of the Doozzer's Thursday Morning Wrath. That's the fic that first told me fanfic could be used for plot and comedy all in one place. Most of my early decisions about Nalenne were efforts to differentiate her from TMW's Wrath so I could play in my own space. Factor two was the persistence of Quinn on my Warrior (Ruth)'s bridge despite my headcanoned killing or banishing of him. So. He's dead but he's standing there and I can't get rid of him. What does that do to a person? Nalenne was my answer.

Niselle was quickly invented when I needed an Inquisitor to answer Nalenne's metaphysical questions. Sister? Sure, why not? I meant for her to be a minor recurring character. Obviously she had bigger plans.

Q: Why are they fat and bald? (yep, actual question)

A: They're curvaceous because that's hella cute. They're depilated because of prior pranks. I have no regrets about their appearance.

Q: Where are the other class representatives?

A: That would be telling. I will say that NDOW has an established Knight, Warrior, Inquisitor, Smuggler, and Agent. There is no Trooper, though M1-4X is canon and Nalenne has met him.

Q: What is Insanity Company's battle song?

A: I am so bad at this I don't know. If "America **** Yeah" were The Empire **** Yeah, that might be it. Otherwise probably Princes of the Universe (thanks, Queen!).

Q: Where does that style come from, anyway?

A: My two formative influences in comic style are the irreplaceable Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. In particular they exemplify two things: wordplay, and the matter-of-fact reporting of arrant absurdities. Don't take my word for it, go read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Guards! Guards!. I don't pretend to be on that level, but that's what inspires me.

Q: If the girls both make it to KoTFE and one of them was in carbonite and not the other will they continually make fun of how the other one looks much "older" now? XD

Nalenne squinted. “You look like hell, Nis. Did you get eviler or just that much older?”

“Still not Force-sensitive enough to know the difference, hmm? You’re still the most interesting shade of post-carbonite grey, Lenny. Do you think that’s ever going to get better? I hope your husband likes them half dead…though if he does that explains a few things about your history so far.”

Q: Rho-Jaesa-Kira "poly-amorous illicit sex animals" yes?

“Well, I’m off to see Kira for the weekend.”

“You realize that every minute you spend with her is a minute she and her more irritating half are not passionately breaking the Jedi Code?”

Jaesa got a little shifty around the eyes. “Y-yes, master. They’re definitely not while I’m there.”

“And the more they break the Code the better off the universe is. Don’t you forget it.”

Thanks for reading! :D

Part 3-39. In which Nalenne and Quinn collect

Here is a special long chapter (2600 words!), set before SoR starts, and relevant to nothing in SoR whatsoever.

This story contains the names and broad caricatures of characters found in the Jedi Knight Belsavis, Sith Warrior Balmorra, Imperial Hoth, and Imperial Taris. It also contains a reference to the Trooper Taris and Republic Belsavis.

A duty they won't ever shirk:

Despite all the ethic to work,

When put to the test,

The best of the best

May have certain - well, call 'em quirks.

“What do you mean, Captain Rutau isn’t there?” said Quinn. “This is the Method, is it not?”

“Yes, sir. It’s in space dock, sir, pending reassignment.”

“But then where did Insanity Company go?”

“I’m not sure, sir. It just showed up like this. Sorry, sir.”

“Just. Showed. Up. Lieutenant, if you haven’t figured out how to read off a ship’s navicomputer records by the time I call back I will personally see you court martialed into the airlock and then out the other side. Do I make myself clear?”

“Y-yes, sir. Whoever you are. Sir.”

Quinn spent a moment smoldering in what appeared to be the painful process of deciding what extreme measure to take next. Nalenne finally got up from her comics and leaned in. “General Malavai Quinn, personal attaché to the Emperor’s Wrath. Do try to remember that for next time.”

“Y-yes, ma’am-my, er, my lord, sir. Yessir.” The wild-eyed lieutenant appeared to be making an effort at sinking through the floor. “Um.” The holocall cut short.

“Dismissed.” Quinn glowered at the empty space.

“What was that all about?” said Vette.

“Insanity Company is no longer on board the Method,” said Quinn through gritted teeth. “My unit is missing.”

“Who would want to get rid of Insanity Company?” said Nalenne.

Vette stated counting off. “Apart from the Republic, the Hutt Cartel, the Jedi, House Organa, The Bounty Hunters’ Guild, the Bartavian Children’s Choir, the–”

“Revanites,” said Quinn. “Everything associated with our raid on Rakata Prime was blacklisted somehow. Except the people closest to you. The Revanites cannot yet face the Wrath or her personal staff. Outlying properties, however…”

Nalenne frowned. “You think the Revanites blackballed them?”

“Anything to sap our influence, my lord.”

“Hey, after Korriban I’d say Insanity Company has earned a part in whatever cult demolishing we do. But to do that they have to be together.” Nalenne switched the comics display off. “They’re all right, aren’t they?”

“Of course they are,” snapped Quinn. “The only question is which one of our enemies they’re ruining right now. I prefer to know, being that I am their commanding officer.”

“Well, then,” said Nalenne. “What are we waiting for?”

Lana Beniko and Theron Shan driven into hiding. Rho back in goody two-shoes land. Niselle locked up in Dark Council business, probably, who really wanted to know? Insanity Company…gone. Vanished. Their mothership returned to regular Imperial service with only a transfer notice and a maintenance droid.

“Captain Rutau,” Quinn said distinctly to a droid stationed on Dromund Kaas. “Lately of Insanity Company. Previous service in the Fifth Infantry on Balmorra. May have been recently reassigned.”

“I have no staff corresponding to that name,” said the droid in a crisp soprano.

“Including in the casualty rolls?”

A thoughtful pause. “Including among casualties. Can I answer another inquiry?”

Quinn balled his fists. “Standing inquiry. Any time an Imperial soldier with an artificial leg goes in to get his leg replaced, again, you will notify me of the name, rank, and location. Is that quite clear?”

“Quite clear. Can I answer another inquiry?”

“Lieutenant Ritter. Lately of Insanity Company. Previous service on Hoth. May have been recently reassigned.”

“I have no staff corresponding to that name,” said the droid.

“He had medical attention about seven years ago for an extensive facial wound that left three long scars. He refused to file for reimbursement on off-planet treatment because, I quote, ‘only an idiot would’ve gotten hit there, I had it coming.’”

“If he didn’t report the medical attention I would have no record of this incident,” the droid said reasonably. “Can I answer another inquiry?”

“Another? I’m still trying to get you to answer one.” Quinn pressed his hands to his eyes and dragged down his face. “Standing inquiry. Any time an Imperial soldier refuses basic climate protection and instead insists on toughing it out, notify me. Now. Lieutenant Hareth. Lately of Insanity Company. Previous service as a colonel on Belsavis. Demoted several times for death cult activities. For that alone she’s got to be the best-documented officer Insanity Company has.”

“I have no staff corresponding to that name,” said the droid. “Would you like to cross-reference per specific cult activity?”

“I don’t know which ones she got caught in. I don’t know that even she could keep them straight, she wasn’t very picky so long as ‘glory to the Emperor’ was involved. Same standing inquiry as before, but this one for impassioned death cult endorsement. Next. Captain Pandorr. Lately of Insanity Company. Previous service on Taris. May have been recently reassigned.”

“Tall fellow. Makes up words when he gets excited. Blast it…I knew I should have learned their first names. – Ah! There’s one! Ensign Durmat Rylon. Lately of Insanity Company. Had a brief and ignoble stint on Balmorra previously.”

“Cross reference soldiers with a medical history including total amnesia between three and four years ago. Go on, I’ll wait.”

He waited with the kind of actinic stare that would sear a hole through both holo and hull if given enough time.

“No results,” said the droid.

“Inquiry,” he grated. “General Malavai Quinn. Lately commander of Insanity Company. Go ahead. Play coy.”

“Personnel file under category six lock,” said the droid. “Personnel note: ‘You’re in trouble, sir.’”

The seconds slipped away.

After a polite pause the droid raised one metallic hand. “You have been selected to participate in a customer service survey at the end of this call. Please stay on the line to participate. Question one: Did your customer service representative show proper deference to the Emperor before answering your question?”

But Quinn was no longer there.

“Did I say ‘go anywhere to help you with this’?” said Nalenne. “Because Hoth wasn’t on the go list.”

“If Ritter’s down there he’s probably getting frostbitten, ice cat slashed, or both, again,” said Quinn. “He’s no use to the Empire dead.”

“He knows that. I’m sure he’s still alive.”

Quinn tugged on a heavy glove. “And will remain that way.”

“Sending him back to Hoth’s just about the worst thing you could do to him,” said Pierce. “I say this as a man who was staring at reassignment to Taris after a certain incident last year.”

“I wouldn’t really have done it,” said Nalenne. “Unless you cut holes in strategic places in all Quinn’s uniforms again.”

“Burned. With acid.” Vette stifled a giggle. “Yeah, good thing that one wasn’t repeated.”

“I am going to the surface,” Quinn said loudly. “I expect to be back with Ritter.”

“I’ll be up here with a comfy couch,” said Nalenne. “And some blankets. And tissues. And hot chocolate.”

“My lord,” said Quinn, bowing, “you are perfect at what you do.”

Nalenne looked out across the ruined jail yard. “You know what the problem with Belsavis is?”

“Everything?” said Vette.

“Just about,” said Nalenne.

“Insanity clan’s gullible one must be trackable,” said Broonmark. “We can trace her speeder.”

“You can?” said Nalenne, startled.

Broonmark shrugged. “Gullible one probably took a rental and is probably not smart enough to deactivate tracker. There is no reason to make this hard.”

Once they had coordinates they piled back into a shuttle to take them into the depths of the ancient prison. The transmitter had abruptly cut off at the entrance to a cave under the gnarled roots of an ancient tree beneath a dome of ice.

“Darth Ekkage was kept just up that way, wasn’t she?” said Pierce.

“Yep,” said Nalenne.

“It forces one to wonder what Lieutenant Hareth was trying to free,” grumbled Quinn. “Only the most dangerous prisoners were kept here.”

“Probably just a planet eater or something,” said Nalenne.

A moment’s silence.

Everyone sped up.

The elevator at the back of the cave was still operational. The walls on the long, long way down…

“Maybe we should have left someone up top?” mused Nalenne. “In case something goes wrong?”

“Nah,” said Vette. “I’m sure we’re fine.”

…the walls on the long way down were a solid mass of carvings, heavy brutish forms that spoke of the history of an unpleasant race.

“Talos would love this, I bet,” said Jaesa.

“Talos had to be tied up and drugged to be taken off planet last time Nis visited,” said Nalenne. “It was hilarious.”

“Sith clan…” quorked Broonmark. “The platform shakes.”

Nalenne held very, very still.

“We can always call Kira,” said Jaesa. “I’m sure she would help.”

“…Is Sith clan hippie crazy?” buzzed Broonmark.

“I have no idea what you just said,” said Quinn, “but it’s academic if we can’t get a signal out.”

“The only way through is forward,” opined Broonmark. “Once we have torn through our enemies we can focus on escape.”

“Yes, let’s see what friends Hareth has made,” said Nalenne. “I swear this day is coming straight out of her paycheck.”

At the bottom of the elevator was a corridor. Nalenne hesitated long enough to watch the elevator begin its long ascent without them. “Well, that was a bad idea.” But she stiffened her spine and led the way down the corridor, which was lit in sullen blue by some kind of moss in the cracks of the carvings.

“Whew,” said Vette. “It’s hot.”

“Every place we go is hot,” Broonmark rattled dolefully. “Except Hoth.”

The corridor widened and started to splinter into natural stone. As they walked the ceiling raised, and the place began to take on a look not entirely unlike a Dromund Kaas skyscraper: tall, glum, badly lit, and utterly foreboding.

They rounded a corner. Then they saw structure again.

Huge pillars inset with white lights marched down toward what looked like a long trap door. A blob that might have been a microbe or a world was projected in a tall stand. Beside it was a computer console. And on the computer console was Lieutenant Hareth.

“You’re sure you can eat the entire planet?” Hareth was saying.

The voice rang out in both Basic and something Nalenne didn’t recognize, the dual voice somehow coming through clear. “It will be after your children and your children’s children are dead. You will suffer no consequence.”

“I don’t suppose you could speed that up? For the glory of the Emperor, you know.”

“I do not…speed up,” said the voice. “All the galaxy will be mine in time.”

“Aw.” Hareth dashed her forearm across her eyes. “You sound just like he would.”

“Lieutenant,” snapped Quinn, stepping forward. “Explain yourself.”

“Sir!” She snapped to attention, then turned by means of a series of tiny rapid foot movements to face him. “Sir. I was reassigned here without the rest of the company, sir. So I investigated. This is the World Razer. He’s going to–”

“Instigate mass death for no good reason?” said Quinn. “We’ve talked about this…”

“The Emperor would be proud,” Hareth said resentfully. “It is for his glory that I do this thing. Plus the World Razer offered access to advanced weaponry if I set him free.”

“Ooh, really?” said Pierce. Nalenne elbowed one of the seams in his armor, hard.

“Lieutenant, we are not here to unleash planet-devouring ancient horrors,” Quinn said sternly. “You are to be reassigned at once to support Insanity Company field duties.”

“Can I just finish this first?” said Hareth.

“No!” said Quinn and Nalenne.

Vette had walked up to the console. Now she started typing.

“What are you doing?” said Nalenne.

“Sealing this bad boy away for another few thousand years,” said Vette.

“Oh,” said Quinn. “I thought you were just stealing something.”

“All in good time, Quinny. All in good time.”

“I used to know where all the good bioweapon research facilities were,” Pierce said wistfully. “I’ve been out of the game, though.”

“We’re not even sure Pandorr is here,” said Nalenne.

“If Ritter and Hareth were sent back to the dead-end assignments they had been on prior to the reconstitution of Insanity Company,” said Quinn, “we must at least try.”

“There’s Dorant’s facility,” said Pierce. “Crazy Republic defector. Rakghouls. Nasty stuff. Dead now, but Pandorr might have gone there.”

Pierce led the way, periodically heaving grenades to one side or another to disperse the converging rakghouls. The atmosphere wasn’t pleasant enough for Nalenne to demand to stop and dispatch them herself.

Dorant, whoever he was, had an ugly metal bunker in an ugly biohazard hillside. Nalenne led the way through a musty base level and up some stairs into a wide room with a lot of very much working electrical equipment.

Captain Pandorr turned around from the control panel. “General! Wrath? I don’t believe it! Come in, come in!” They did so. Then, suddenly, Pandorr stopped smiling. “Uh. Stay still. Stay very, very still.” He was staring past them now, blue eyes wide. “Don’t. Move.” He raised a bizarre-looking blaster pistol. “Don’t…” his brow worked…“on second thought run now go go go.” He fired through the burst of activity.

Nalenne staggered around to see a giant rakghoul rolling on the floor. It was making an earsplitting sound at the upper limit of hearing. As Nalenne watched Pandorr took a more normal-looking blaster and put the monster out of its misery.

“Wow,” he said. “So I don’t think that’s going to work out for us. Better stick to spiking their kolto tanks.”

“Good to see you still doing the Empire’s work,” said Quinn, shaking one boot that had gotten splashed on.

“It’s marvelful to see you,” effused Pandorr. “I wasn’t sure what would happen to Insanity Company after we got the word.”

“Political tomfoolery,” said Nalenne. “I don’t suppose you know where the others ended up?”

Uneven steps sounded on the stairs. Captain Rutau limped in and stopped. “You!” He lit up. “Are you here to take us someplace with actual Republic resistance?”

“That’s, uh, a good question,” said Nalenne.

“Enemies of the Empire, certainly,” asserted Quinn.

“Yeah, that,” said Nalenne. “We need Insanity Company.”

“I don’t know where the men got reassigned to,” Rutau said regretfully. “I think – I hope – we officers got the worst of it.”

“We’re going back now, though, aren’t we?” Pandorr turned pleading eyes to the officer and the Sith.

“This one’s off the books,” warned Nalenne. “The same people that stuck you here are still looking to inconvenience us any way they can. We have to track down what they’re up to and stop it.”

“For the Empire?” Pandorr clarified worriedly.

“For the Empire,” Quinn said decisively.

“Well then,” said Rutau. “What are we waiting for?”

“Wrath. General, sir.” The reedy youth saluted. “I’m on Dromund Kaas. Can you meet me?”

They did, of course. Ensign Durmat Rylon, last remaining of the Insanity Company core, was too valuable to miss.

He ducked out of a dark alley in the spaceport to intercept Nalenne and Quinn. “Wrath,” he said again. “General, sir.” And saluted. “Let’s get out of here.”

“What happened?” said Nalenne on the way.

“I was reassigned. I thought they’d pick Balmorra but Balmorra’s not taking Imperial shipments.” He scowled. “Anyone who wants to dismantle Insanity Company is no friend of the Empire. So I investigated. I have names.”

Quinn snatched the datapad from his hands. “Ensign, these are…highly placed. – The president of Corellian Office Furniture, Ltd.? The president of Corellian Office Furniture, Ltd. did not order the dispersion of Insanity Company!”

“He would have if he thought anyone would listen,” muttered Ensign Rylon.

“Let’s go,” said Nalenne. “We’re supposed to be keeping a low profile here.”

“We’re gonna get the guys who did this,” said Rylon. “Right?”

“Working on it, kid,” said Nalenne. “Working on it.”

Part 3-40. In which landfall on a new world happens

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan Rishi questline. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

I start taking liberties pretty early in this storyline.

A planet called Rishi ahoy!

A visit there’s always a joy.

But of course, it’s assumed

Anonymity’s doomed –

Good luck with your rep, boy oh boy.

Darkness.

It splashed into Nalenne’s consciousness like someone spilling their drink all over her. A tiny galaxy, and within it a hungering dark that expanded as she watched, gripping, chilling, ultimately swallowing.

She forced herself out of the meditation. “This is why I don’t stop to think,” she muttered testily.

It took only a little research to find the location: Rishi, near the dwarf galaxy Rishi Maze. When Broonmark mentioned getting spam mail from Rishi investors Nalenne knew she had the right place. So she laid in a course.

Rutau found her on the bridge with Quinn. “My lord!” He gave the friendly wave that had somehow managed to replace saluting in some circumstances. “Off to find some enemies of the Empire?”

“If we don’t find some we can make some,” she hedged. “Will that do?”

“Good enough for me.” He peered out the window at the dwarf galaxy, which looked considerably more than dwarf at this range. “Are we going in there?”

“Not yet. Quinn, take us down.”

There was no intelligible traffic control as such. Quinn made some effort to negotiate a landing pad, only to throw up his hands and mutter “I don’t speak anarchist.” Nalenne went to find Vette, who glibly talked her way down, only spending a small fortune out of Nalenne’s accounts, onto a rickety-looking landing pad in the midst of a bustling port.

Nalenne led the way down the gangplank. There was activity, most of it unhygienic-looking, in every direction. She turned to Captain Rutau. “You and the rest of the company. Find me someplace secure to stay,” she said. The officers saluted and moved out.

Nalenne shed crew members as she walked down the wooden boardwalks of this seaside town on the pirate haven of Rishi. Broonmark noticed a fungus on the docks and begged leave to study it. Pierce managed to find an arms dealer inside of three minutes. Quinn had an allergic reaction to something unspecified and retreated to the safe Imperial confines of the ship.

Nalenne, Vette, and Jaesa stuck together, giving about as many goggle-eyed stares as they got. Every time Nalenne put her hand to her lightsaber the staring locals suddenly found something else to be interested in. It made the walk amusing, at least.

And then a brawl exploded out of a previously solid-looking wooden wall to one side. As Nalenne watched, bemused, a Whiphid roughly the size of a landspeeder rolled over and over a comparatively tiny humanoid form.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” insisted a warm, velvety, if strained voice.

“Rho?” said Nalenne.

“Shut up and die,” roared the Whiphid.

“What happened to your lightsaber?” said Nalenne.

“Sorry, not the best time,” panted Rho.

“Murderer!” yelled the Whiphid.

Rho punched him in the face, wincing at the impact. “Please, listen,” he grunted, taking a hard hit to the midsection.

“This is ridiculous,” said Nalenne. “You know that, right?”

Rho grunted again and rolled away. The Whiphid followed.

“Master, can’t you do something?” said Jaesa, wide-eyed.

“I’m probably going to regret this,” said Nalenne. She drew her saber, closed the distance, and dispatched the Whiphid with one efficient stroke, leaving Rho unscathed.

The Mirialan Jedi sat up, dusting off the sleeves of his off-white robes. “You didn’t have to do that,” he said. “I really think I was getting through to him.”

“Getting through to his teeth, maybe,” said Nalenne. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“Getting into fights, I’m afraid,” said Rho.

“Aw. I’m almost proud of you.”

He made a face. “It’s been terrible.”

That’s when Nalenne realized that they had attracted a crowd.

A more disreputable assemblage of bruisers and scarecrows she had never seen, even in her school days on Korriban. There were scar-faced Humans and brawny Nikto, close-clumped Gand and mountainous Houks, furtive Rodians and one particularly lost-looking Ithorian. They stared openly, those that had traceable eyeballs, and those that didn’t were probably staring as well.

And they were talking among themselves. One phrase came up above all others in an excited chorus: "The Red Hulls!"

"The who?" said Nalenne to a birdlike biped that seemed to be standing alone.

He looked to either side, seemed to realize she was talking to him, and jumped. "You're the dread lords of the Red Hulls! Two out of three! Where's the other one?"

"The other what?"

"Your twin!"

"How do you know about my twin?"

“Lucky guess?” suggested Vette.

"Everyone's talking about you! Oh, boy! The unholy orgies of cannibalism never start until all three leaders are in one place!"

"The...what?"

Rho made an unhappy face. "They've been talking like this ever since I landed," he said apologetically.

"How am I a cannibal?" said Nalenne. "Have you ever bitten a Pureblood? I have. It's terrible."

"Spoken like a true bloodthirsty pirate," opined the bird-man.

“I hate to waste a perfectly good reputation of terror,” said Nalenne to Rho.

“Master?” Jaesa said nervously.

“It might net us something.” Nalenne cleared her throat. "Listen up! The Red Gulls-"

"Hulls," muttered Rho.

"The Red Hulls are moving in to make ourselves comfortable. Cooperate if you know what's good for you. And if you don't...well, I've hardly killed anyone this week. I'm getting...hungry."

"Lord Nalenne!" said Rho.

"What? They're lapping it up."

He looked a little green. More so than usual.

"Aw. Can't stomach a little posturing?"

"I think I'm going to be sick," he muttered.

"I can see this conversation's not to your taste." She flashed her teeth, then turned to the crowd. "Get gone before I get peckish."