View Single Post

bright_ephemera
08.04.2015 , 06:01 PM | #44
Part 3-20. In which taglines are mulled over

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan introduction, Forged Alliances. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

A tagline gives focus, or should,
More than essays or long speeches could.
A signature line
Will clearly define
What you are – so you’d best make it good.

“So,” said Nalenne. “Nice office you have here.”

“Their rental rates are really quite reasonable,” said Lana Beniko, gesturing around at the wall fountains and tasteful furniture. “I could get used to this.”

“If you still have a job when this is over. Or a head.”

Lana frowned. “I prefer to believe our chances are better than that.”

Both turned when they sensed Niselle. “Of course,” said Nalenne.

“Of course,” Niselle said calmly. “So what are we up to?”

Lana took over. “As implied in our last, brief communication, Darth Arkous is at the center of a grand conspiracy. Arkous had the Jedi Temple raided to acquire knowledge of Rakata technology that he could use to harm the Empire. Even now, he plots against us.”

“Isn’t it a bit of a jump from ‘stealing the sort of artifacts any nerd would want’ to ‘trying to destroy the Empire’?” said Nalenne.

“It’s a smaller jump than you’d think,” said Niselle. “Not that I would know.”

“Of course,” said Lana. “Now. I’ve followed Arkous to a secure undersea laboratory here on Manaan, where he’s working with a Selkath geneticist named Gorima on…something.”

“Oh,” Nalenne said dejectedly. “Science.”

“I’ve been trying to learn more,” said Lana. “I’ve also discovered that Colonel Darok secured passage to the same laboratory. He was behind the Republic’s raid on Korriban.”

“So we catch two together,” said Niselle. “Because you can’t tell me they’re on opposite sides.”

“No,” said Lana, “likely not. So we must confront Arkous in that laboratory. As I said, it’s a well-protected facility. You’ll have to make your way through heavily armed Selkath and dismantle their security grid.”

Nalenne arched a hairless eyebrow. “I can’t help but notice that you haven’t so much as touched your saber since this started.”

“My skills are better used here,” she said briskly. “Besides. Sometimes the best way to win a fight is to prevent it.”

“Or just win it,” said Nalenne.

“Come, now,” wheedled Niselle. “More for us.”

“I had intended to confront Darth Arkous myself,” Lana said defensively, “but I sense a presence here – a potential ally. I’ll remain in touch and let you know how my search progresses. May the Force be at your service.”

“It really ought to free us or something,” said Nalenne. “All things considered. We’re all Sith here.”

“I knew that,” Lana said stiffly. “May the Force free you.”

“Oh, don’t be afraid of a little creative flourish,” said Niselle. “It sets you apart.”

“May the Force be at your service?” Lana said uneasily.

“There,” said Niselle. “That wasn’t so hard.”

“Nothing wrong with Force-freeing,” grumbled Nalenne. “We’ve got a whole Code about it.”

“Come on,” said Niselle. “We have places to be.”
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST