"One of the reasons the launcher keeps downloading files over and over and only occasionally succeeds is because the servers that provide us files are producing different files when we download from it. That should never be the case pointing to a problem with BW's web servers. The launcher knowsthat a file isn't what it should be in the same way that we do in this guide and when it detects a problem it redownloads the entire asset set. Some of the sets very large, but the actual downloads are relatively smaller. The launcher deletes perfectly good files in the batch when one is corrupt.
The below process is a manual process that will considerably reduce the amount of bandwidth needed to install the game, but you may need to download some files multiple times as the problem is outside of your control.
1) Install the launcher normally. Change its properties so it is always run as admin. Let it install the initial videos assets. This has seemed to work for everyone so far.
2) Once the videos have finished downloading and installing you are on the main assets 1. Stop the launcher at this point.
3) Delete the Assets directory and any asset_* directories you have within the star wars install directory. The reason is that some of the files
in here are likely corrupt already, we'll be getting nice new ones in a minute.
4) You need to download the following files in your web browser. You can use a download manager if you have one. Store them in a folder away from the game
) You need to download the software from http://www.winmd5.com
. It is free and its going to tell you which files are corrupted.
6) Run WinMD5 and for each of the files you have downloaded drag the file to WinMD5. The software will run for awhile and then
it will show you some letters and numbers in the "Current file MD5 checksum value" textbox. Compare that to the following list:
assets_swtor_en_us_0to16.solidpkg 5657bd7beb52f05e9c51dd92ce55df2bTake a note of any files that have different numbers than above. The difference tells you that the file was corrupted in some way. Its quite clever but we developers use checksums like this all the time to ensure everything copied smoothly. Keep repeatedly downloading any corrupt files until all of them have precisely the same MD5 checksum reported in the above list.
7) Make the following 4 directories in the star wars the old republic directory and copy the list of files into each:
- assets_swtor_en_us_0to16.solidpkg8) Run the launcher. It will now quickly process the main assets 1, english assets 1, main assets 17 and english assets 17 without the problem you saw before. There is a final download after this for the game client, its so small (4MB)) it shouldn't be a problem but if it is you can hit repair. If repair starts downloading from earlier in the process quit it, and do the whole thing again, but you wont need to download the files again so you can happily try again within minutes. We have no reported problems with the game client asset so far.
Alas it seems the installer might also be buggy. I am certain this resolves the download portion of the problem, and I am looking into the format used for the files to see if we can manually unzip them somehow. "
This is how I initially got the game to work, just need a link for the latest patch....