View Single Post

herklen
05.13.2014 , 09:23 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I feel a certain degree of frustration with discussions like this, because of the innate contrariness of the stance involved.

If you want to be a Jedi, then you should commit to being a Jedi. It's firmly established that being a Jedi involves personal sacrifice and commitment. The commitment is to the Order and the Republic. The sacrifice is binding personal attachment.

People like the lightsabers. They like the powers. They like the authority. They like all the perks that come with being a Jedi, except personal sacrifice and self-discipline. You add those two ingredients to the mix, and all of a sudden the council is an archaic collection of short-sided old dummies who have no right telling you how to live your life, and blah-blah-blah.

I guess people just like playing the part of the arrogant anti-hero who knows better than society who raised him, gave him opportunities to better himself, and asked for nothing in return except loyalty.
I agree with this. The Jedi are a monastic order, and their no marriage rule is one of the requirements for joining it. You are to focus on being a Jedi and the responsibilities of being one when you join.

Also emotions are not discarded by the Jedi. After all obi-wan tells Luke to "Trust your feelings, Luke"