View Single Post

TrinityLyre
03.14.2014 , 04:43 PM | #5
STRIKE FIGHTERS

:: STRIKE FIGHTER TIPS

• Utilize Directional Shields often in head-to-heads and while running from enemies! Giving adversaries a double shield to punch through can mean the difference between life or death.

• Don’t be afraid to assume any role, be it satellite defense, offense, protecting an ally or chasing an enemy gunship. Strike fighters are excellent multi-role ships.

• Focus on the heavier, slower enemies and try to fight at a longer range (5k+) when possible.

• Try and bait enemies into eating your missile by holding locks until they engine maneuver. Alternatively, try firing an alternate, weaker missile to pressure engine usage.

• See Aquilon-tune's guide to Rycer/Starguard-style strike fighters here!

FT-3C IMPERIUM // FT-7B CLARION

The healer of GSF, a true support ship. The playstyle of this ship focuses on supporting allies through heals and opportunistic damage. The ship heals in a huge radius. You can fire lasers and launch torpedoes, but more often than not you will be doing one and not the other. With the lack of Barrel Roll and Thrusters this ship will have very low mobility, so players will need to be careful with regard to positioning. I have had plenty of games played in this build and my wingmen tell me they love it. If you want to counter bombers, running an alternative like this is an excellent way to do it.

:: COMPONENTS

Primary Weapon: Quad Laser Cannon (T4 Increased Critical Hit Chance, T5 Increased Shield Damage)
The highest damage and range in the primary weaponry available. Quad Lasers deal a great amount of damage. Increased Critical Hit for more damage and Increased Shield Damage again for the same reason listed above.

Secondary Weapon: Proton Torpedoes (T4 Increased Projectile Speed, T5 Increased Range)
Extended range, allowing this strike fighter to threaten at multiple ranges even with a lack of mobility. This was chosen over Thermite Torpedo simply because the firing arc on Thermite appears to be bugged. I opt for increased projectile speed so that the enemy has less time to engine maneuver and break the torpedo’s lock. Increased Range gives you a farther lock-on, though it's a blast to fire this point blank as well.

Engine: Power Dive (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
The only reasonable (in my opinion) engine option. This ship could greatly benefit from Barrel Roll with the lack of Thrusters, but we have to make do with the options are given. Power Dive allows additional mobility once you get used to the way it works. Additional turning rate will help you fire your Quad Laser Cannons and Proton Torpedoes with less difficulty. It will also benefit you with a quicker recovery after using Power Dive and facing a different direction than you intended. Shortest missile break option.

Systems: Repair Probes (T4 Improved Repair, T5 Refill Ammunition)
Since the fundamental goal of this build is to keep allies alive and dealing lots of damage, I opted for increased healing and ammo reload. This ability lasts a very long time when upgraded (24 seconds every 60 seconds), and has a huge radius (5000m). Being able to follow a Rocket Pods user around and give them unlimited ammo has devastating consequences for the enemy team!

Shields: Directional Shield (T3 Reduced Regen Delay)
This shield option gives you hefty shields and a quicker regeneration delay, making you more tanky. I prefer it over Charged Plating because of the questionable usefulness of damage reduction. I like the larger shield pool to reduce burst damage deaths. Since you can heal, you now have two "health" bars that can be easily replenished! This shield is useful for handling enemies that try to come head-on or even while retreating. Once you get used to switching your shield arcs around it feels like a superior option that rewards proactive, skillful gameplay. Reducing regen delay seems better than increasing shield regeneration rate, and so I go with that option.

Sensor: Communication Sensors
Since you’ll be among teammates (and presumably, enemies), this is probably the best option. Communicate with players at other satellites and regions in space and transmit farther, adding even more group utility to an incredibly powerful support ship.

Reactor: Large Reactor
Larger shields are tastier shields. Since dying to burst damage is more commonplace than dying to attrition, I favor larger shields. These help offset the loss from Shield Projector and further benefits with the crew passive, giving enemies a larger, beefier shield pool to cut through.

Armor: Lightweight Armor
Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive.

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor
Quad Laser Cannons suck a bit more power than other lasers I use, and this ship does not utilize the 13% weapon power efficiency crew buff nor a Regeneration Extender so I opt for Damage Capacitor here.

:: CREW

Copilot: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (Wingman)
An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of hitting enemies that are off-center (quad laser cannons have a large tracking penalty) and targets with evasion. Hitting Wingman will get you more kills on high-evasion targets (like gunships and scouts) at a medium to long range. Quicker and farther kills = less struggling = victory.

Offensive: Jaesa Willsaam / Qyzen Fess (2 degrees to firing arc, 6% accuracy)
Most of the other offensive crew choices are very lackluster and do not contribute anything to your damage. Accuracy and firing arc help out your quad laser cannons and proton torpedoes.

Defensive: Vector / Nadia Grell (10% shield power pool, 5% evasion)
I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up.

Tactical: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (sensor focus range & communication / communication & dampening)
Increased sensor focus range for finding enemies across the battlefield and communication range for a better view of the battlefield. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman. Unfortunately, the Republic only has two options for Wingman, neither of which are all that great.

Engineering: Blizz / C2-N2 (10% engine power pool, 13% engine efficiency)
This ship suffers from a distinct lack of mobility options, leading me to choose these Engineering crew alternatives. Your engines don’t benefit from either Regeneration Thrusters or have Barrel Roll as a mobility option. For these reasons, I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly and evade longer.

F-T6 RYCER // TZ-24 GLADIATOR // FT-8 STAR GUARD // TZ-24 ENFORCER

I play my T1 strike fighter as a ranged combatant that is capable of fighting enemies in close quarters if pressed. I am less a fan of switching primary weapons in combat because it breaks the stream of fire, but it is still a blast to play. Durable, huge shields and a great multirole fighter.

Primary Weapon: Heavy Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Shield Piercing)
I use heavy lasers over the other alternatives for the armor piercing and range. They are great for clearing turrets, drones, mines, killing bombers and attacking enemies coming in to attack you. They are amazing for jousting with others, which happens quite frequently. As mentioned, bypassing enemy damage reduction is immensely useful. I go with the shield piercing upgrade to finish off any additional hull weaker enemies have after being hit by allies or my missiles.

Primary Weapon: Rapid-fire Laser Cannon (T4 Improved Firing Arc and Tracking, T5 Increased Shield Damage)
Though I feel most of the options are not that useful, I feel this suits my play style best. I switch to this weapon when I am in close quarters trying to defend an ally or satellite. Since I only ever really use these in tight areas I prefer having a higher accuracy and less tracking penalty. I go with the increased shield damage option because it’s generally more damage and lots of times enemies will panic and leave the area once their shields are gone. This accomplishes that quicker. I've also tried Ion Cannon and Quad Laser Cannons as well. Go with what suits your playstyle, they're all pretty good!

Secondary Weapon: Concussion Missiles (T4 Increased Range, T5 Ignore Armor)
Versatile missile capable of inflicting tremendous amounts of damage to enemy hull. I lock these on in head-to-heads and release them right at point blank for easy damage, typically after having stripped shields. Combos really well with Retro Thrusters, which give you a longer time to achieve missile locks. Increased range allows you to fire these at 7700m and ignore armor lets you deal massive damage to bombers and other hardened targets. Cluster Missiles/Ion Cannon is also a popular option - but I figure if you're going to play a gimped scout, why not just play a scout?

Engine: Retro Thrusters (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
This engine allows you a lot of face time with enemies for lock-on missiles and more time spent outside enemy laser and lock-on range. It takes practice to use effectively but is a dangerous weapon in dogfights that can often mean the difference between living, dying or finishing off an enemy. I prefer increased turning rate so that my strike fighters handle like my scouts and can track enemies more easily, but to each their own.

This shield option gives you hefty shields and a quicker regeneration delay, making you more tanky. I prefer it over Charged Plating because of the questionable usefulness of damage reduction. I prefer it over Quick-Charge Shield because I like the larger shield pool to reduce burst damage deaths. This shield is useful for handling enemies that try to come head-on or even while retreating. Once you get used to switching your shield arcs around it feels like a superior option that rewards proactive, skillful gameplay. Reducing regen delay seems better than increasing shield regeneration rate, and so I go with that option.

Reactor: Large Reactor
Larger shields are tastier shields. Since dying to burst damage is more commonplace than dying to attrition, I favor larger shields. These stack with Directional Shields and the crew passive, giving enemies a larger, beefier shield pool to cut through.

Thruster: Regeneration Thrusters
With all the boosting around evading enemies and closing in to targets and objectives, having a quickly replenishing engine pool is mandatory. I go with Regeneration Thrusters to give myself more staying power in the match.

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor
These offer the highest amount of damage with the tradeoff of increased weapon power pool consumption. With Heavy Laser Cannon, the appropriate crew member and Regeneration Extender I feel like the drawback is minimal. More damage is always good if you can handle the power consumption.

Magazine: Regeneration Extender
The all-around best choice for sustained fire. More regeneration means more laser shots means more damage. Reloading ammunition is rarely a problem with Weapon Powerups in Team Deathmatch and Ammo Repair Drones in Domination. Don’t know a good dronecarrier? Get to know one!

An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of hitting enemies that are off-center (quad laser cannons have a large tracking penalty) and targets with evasion. Hitting Wingman will get you more kills on high-evasion targets (like gunships and scouts) at a medium to long range. Quicker and farther kills = less struggling = victory.

Most of the other offensive crew choices are very lackluster and do not contribute anything to your damage. Accuracy and firing arc help out your lasers and concussion missiles.

I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up.

Tactical: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (sensor focus range & communication / communication & dampening)
Increased sensor focus range for finding enemies across the battlefield and communication range for a better view of the battlefield. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman. Unfortunately, the Republic only has two options for Wingman, neither of which are all that great.

Engineering: Yuun / 2V-R8 (13% weapon power efficiency, 13% engine efficiency)
I go with these two because it really is the most effective choice (mathematically). The 13% weapon power efficiency almost completely offsets Frequency Capacitor’s power drain and who can ever say no to 13% more engine efficiency? It’s just too darn good.

F-T2 QUELL // FT-6 PIKE

The Quell/Pike is excellent at clearing hardened targets like bombers and turrets off satellites and amazing at suppressing enemies with constant missile locks. It is the true missile boat of GSF. The missile weaponry can be switched in and out based on preference, but this is a well-rounded build I run. You can use one missile type to bait the enemy into an engine maneuver for another missile launch. As a side note, I prefer playing this ship over all the others. It feels the most fun and exciting.

Primary Weapon: Heavy Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Shield Piercing)
I use heavy lasers over the other alternatives for the armor piercing and range. They are great for clearing turrets, drones, mines, killing bombers and attacking enemies coming in to attack you. They are amazing for jousting with others, which happens quite frequently. As mentioned, bypassing enemy damage reduction is immensely useful. I go with the shield piercing upgrade to finish off any additional hull weaker enemies have after being hit by allies or my missiles.

Secondary Weapon: Cluster Missiles (T4 Increased Ammo Capacity, T5 Double Volley)
Solid close range damage to offset the long range weaponry you are rocking. I use it for point defense and to force enemies to engine maneuver away, typically into a proton torpedo lock they can’t break. Increased ammo in T4 helps to offset the consumption of T5’s double volley, which does considerably more damage than Plasma Warheads. Double Volley also allows you to win an attrition war, though both volleys will be able to be broken by a single maneuver.

Secondary Weapon: Proton Torpedoes (T4 Increased Projectile Speed, T5 Increased Range)
Your “goodbye!” missile. Extended range, shield piercing and armor piercing. It is really fun to bait enemies and then launch this missile. I opt for increased projectile speed so that the enemy has less time to engine maneuver again and break the torpedo’s lock. Increased range allows proton torpedoes to be fired from 11500m, so an enemy Barrel Rolling away from close range will still end up in range for the torpedo lock.

Engine: Barrel Roll (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for mobility, offense, defense and a missile break with sugar on top. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition, which is especially important when launching missiles.

This shield option gives you hefty shields and a quicker regeneration delay, making you more tanky. I prefer it over Charged Plating because of the questionable usefulness of damage reduction. I prefer it over Quick-Charge Shield because I like the larger shield pool to reduce burst damage deaths. This shield is useful for handling enemies that try to come head-on or even while retreating. Once you get used to switching your shield arcs around it feels like a superior option that rewards proactive, skillful gameplay. Reducing regen delay seems better than increasing shield regeneration rate, and so I go with that option.

Armor: Lightweight Armor
Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive.

Thruster: Regeneration Thrusters
Regeneration Thrusters give you huge amounts of engine power over the match, allowing you greater survivability and damage. However, I also prefer Turning Thrusters so that I can mimic the turning capability and feel of my scouts. I switch between these thrusters and Turning Thrusters from time to time. Locking on missiles is a little bit easier with quicker turning, but I've found in difficult matches having that superior engine regeneration is the difference between life and death all too often. Like most things, this is a personal preference. I urge individuals who try my builds to play with both and see which they like more.

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor
These offer the highest amount of damage with the tradeoff of increased weapon power pool consumption. With Heavy Laser Cannon, the appropriate crew member and Regeneration Extender I feel like the drawback is minimal. More damage is always good if you can handle the power consumption.

Magazine: Munitions Capacity Extender
Tons of ammunition for your Cluster Missiles and Proton Torpedoes, which are a cornerstone of this build. If ammunition isn’t an issue, you can swap this to Regeneration Extender for even more sustained Heavy Laser fire.

Most of the other offensive crew choices are very lackluster and do not contribute anything to your damage. Accuracy and firing arc help out your quad laser cannons and proton torpedoes.

Engineering: Blizz / C2-N2 (10% engine power pool, 13% engine efficiency)
This ship suffers from a distinct lack of mobility options, leading me to choose these Engineering crew alternatives. Your engines don’t benefit from either Regeneration Thrusters or have Barrel Roll as a mobility option. For these reasons, I chose the companion that would give the largest bonus to mobility, allowing you to respond more quickly and evade longer.

:: ADDITIONAL STRIKE FIGHTER BUILDS

I'm hoping this section takes off, presenting a large variety of builds, reasoning and logic for readers to go through and try out! Thanks to the community for your support!