View Single Post

TrinityLyre
03.14.2014 , 04:43 PM | #4
SCOUTS

:: SCOUT TIPS

• Youíre squishier than most other ships, so manual dodge/evasion and use of terrain is even more important.

• Scouts have an advantage in speed and engine efficiency, make use of it for getaways and closing on targets.

• Scouts are typically deadliest at a short range and have a huge advantage there. Try and stay close to enemies to take advantage of your superior turning and speed.

• Use hit-and-fade attacks on bombers. Try and take out drones/mines before attacking the bomber itself. Staying close to the bomber and its mines is deadly.

• Two of the three scouts have great burst damage available to them, they are great for surprise attacks.

• Like the Mangler/Quarrel, every scout is capable of having two missile breaks and high evasion, allowing them to avoid lots of deadly attacks like torpedoes, missiles and railgun shots.

• Donít joust against opponents without Distortion Field, Retro Thrusters or Running Interference available. Any one of these or a combination of them could save your life.

• Additional Sting/Flashfire/IL-5 tips, analysis and opinions from Armonddd. A worthwhile read if you're planning on playing a battle scout (Flashfire/Sting/etc.).

S-SC4 BLOODMARK // SPEARPOINT

Iím not sure why BioWare decided to take the best ship model and turn it into this. At least it's fun to play. For those who like support, this could be really interesting to use. I built my Bloodmark/Spearpoint to make it a bit more self-sufficient but still offer something unique and interesting to group play. I have only tested this build once (in Denon Exosphere on PTS) prior to 2.7's launch so it was mostly theoretical at that point. Since then I've put in many hours of play into this ship and am loving the group utility and maneuverability it brings. It sure is fun, even if scoring kills is harder!

:: COMPONENTS

Primary Weapon: Laser Cannon (T4 Increased Critical Hit Chance, T5 Increased Shield Damage)
Solid damage with amazing tracking, accuracy and range. These pair decently well with Thermite Torpedoes since they're the farthest firing lasers you can equip. Increased Critical Hit Chance offers more straight-up damage, which the build otherwise lacks. Increased Shield Damage ensures you will drop opponents quickly with your Thermite Torpedo hitting straight to hull.

Secondary Weapon: Thermite Torpedo (T4 Increased Projectile Speed, T5 Plasma Warheads)
Of the secondary weapon options, this is the only decent one that seems to offer something beneficial to the ship firing it. I ruled out Ion Missile thanks to the ninja nerf of the debuff's duration. EMP is better for group utility but offers very little to the Bloodmark/Spearpoint firing it. Honestly, I wish they had added something better here so this ship wouldnít feel clearly inferior to the Sting/Flashfire. I opted for Increased Projectile Speed so that enemies have less time to react to your Laser Cannon => Thermite Torpedo barrage. Plasma Warheads gives you more damage over time if they escape your initial burst.

Engine: Snap Turn (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Iíve tried Power Dive and I canít stand it. Maybe with more practice I may switch to it. Snap Turn seems the next best on the list of offerings this ship has. Because the ship does not have any Thrusters component and already offers a significant speed boost, I opted for increased turning here as well.

Systems: Tensor Field (T4 Evasion Boost, T5 Engine Power Restoration)
This is one of the few systems that is unique to the new ships. I selected the one that is most unique (it is only available on this particular ship) to have some variety here. I went with an evasion boost for myself and teammates because I felt adding an additional 15% turning rate would already feel awkward when used. Engine Power Restoration was selected to allow ships to get farther and evade more often.

Shields: Distortion Field (T3 Disable Enemy Missile Lock)
The other two options this ship have could make it even stronger for group coordinated gameplay. I feel that Repair Drone doesnít really belong on a ship with low hull value to begin with and an already squishy feel. Taking Distortion Field bumps up your already high evasion rating while granting you a second missile break.

Sensor: Communication Sensors
Since youíll be among teammates (and presumably, enemies), this is probably the best option. Communicate with players at other satellites and regions in space and transmit farther, adding more group utility.

Reactor: Large Reactor
More shields to protect yourself with. I find most kills are done through high damage in a short period, which is why I tend to favor Large Reactor over the others.

Armor: Lightweight Armor
Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive.

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor
These offer the highest amount of damage with the tradeoff of increased weapon power pool consumption. With Light Laser Cannon and the appropriate crew member I feel like the drawback is minimal. More damage is always good if you can handle the power consumption.

:: CREW

Copilot: Mako / Kendra Novar (Running Interference)
I feel that itís already been established just how powerful evasion is (even after nerfs). This copilot ability benefits a scout more directly than many of the others and gives it great staying power on top of group utility (3000m 15% evasion buff for 20 seconds). Since your accuracy is already very high (thanks to Laser Cannon) and your ship isn't really built for dogfighting, I opt out of Wingman here (though it is always a great option regardless of ship choice). I've also used Concentrated Fire here and can't really say it isn't a good option. Pick what you like but make sure they complement your build.

Offensive: Jaesa Willsaam / Qyzen Fess (2 degrees to firing arc, 6% accuracy)
Most of the other offensive crew choices are very lackluster and do not contribute anything to your damage. Accuracy and firing arc help out your laser cannons and thermite torpedoes.

Defensive: Vector / Nadia Grell (10% shield power pool, 5% evasion)
I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up.

Tactical: Mako / Kendra Novar (sensor radius & communication / sensor focus & communication)
The tactical crew is different because of the copilot ability (Running Interference) not being available with identical passives. The Sith Empire gets the better end of this bargain with increased sensor radius and communication range, although the difference feels minimal at best.

Engineering: Yuun / 2V-R8 (13% weapon power efficiency, 13% engine efficiency)
I go with these two because it really is the most effective choice (mathematically). The 13% weapon power efficiency almost completely offsets Frequency Capacitorís power drain and who can ever say no to 13% more engine efficiency? Itís just too darn good.

S-12 BLACKBOLT // NOVADIVE

The first ship I mastered. Deadly burst damage and extreme maneuverability. This ship is made of paper but it packs quite a kick. I use this as my gunship killer, though a Sting is arguably better. I chose to list a Team Deathmatch killing build for my Sting/Flashfire section so that the Blackbolt/NovaDive had something distinctly different. If you use this to hunt gunships (as I intended), make sure to line up your target perfectly before unloading everything you have. The less warning and reaction time, the better.

Primary Weapon: Laser Cannon (T4 Increased Critical Hit Chance, T5 Increased Shield Damage)
Solid damage with amazing tracking, accuracy and range. These pair very well with Rocket Pods since ranges match. Increased Critical Hit Chance offers more straight-up damage, which the build otherwise lacks. Increased Shield Damage ensures you will drop opponents quickly with your Rocket Pods hitting straight to hull.

Secondary Weapon: Rocket Pods (T4 Increased Ammo Capacity, T5 Increased Range)
These are sweet. I use these in conjunction with my Laser Cannons, Targeting Telemetry and Wingman to melt opponents very quickly. Gunships and bombers are easy targets and fun to light up. These fire very similarly to your primary weapon but have a much smaller firing arc and horrible tracking penalties. They also tend to run out fairly quickly. For these reasons, I recommend practicing with these a lot to get the feel for when you should hit an opponent with Rocket Pods. I love popping up behind an enemy and unloading on them from behind. Sometimes you can catch them completely off-guard and kill them before they react. My favored tactic (when with buddies) is to have someone else run Ammo Reload on their Repair Drone or Probes, so that I can unleash hell.

Engine: Barrel Roll (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
Ridiculously good for mobility, offense, defense and a missile break with sugar on top. I opt for increased turning for faster target acquisition and tracking, which is especially important when launching Rocket Pods. Since the Blackbolt/NovaDive is a great hit-and-run starfighter and has a second missile break, it's ok to run with a longer-cooldown engine maneuver.

Systems: Targeting Telemetry (T4 Target Prediction, T5 Precision Targeting)
Increases your burst damage capability substantially. I go with Target Prediction to nail harder targets (like gunships that are quick on activating Distortion Field or are stacking evasion). Precision Targeting means your Rocket Pod and Light Laser Cannon criticals will absolutely devastate anyone hit by them.

Stacking evasion is still incredibly worthwhile and still the best defense you can get. Since Distortion Field has a base 6 second duration and likely wonít need to use the additional 3 seconds I opted for a second missile break.

Sensor: Communication Sensors
Since youíll be among teammates (and presumably, enemies), this is probably the best option. Communicate with players at other satellites and regions in space and transmit farther, adding more group utility.

Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive, Targeting Telemetry, Distortion Field and Running Interference if you choose to go with it.

Thruster: Regeneration Thrusters
With all the boosting around evading enemies and closing in to targets and objectives, having a quickly replenishing engine pool is mandatory. I go with Regeneration Thrusters to give myself more staying power in the match.

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor
These offer the highest amount of damage with the tradeoff of increased weapon power pool consumption. With Light Laser Cannon and the appropriate crew member I feel like the drawback is minimal. More damage is always good if you can handle the power consumption.

Copilot: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (Wingman)
An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of hitting enemies that are off-center (rocket pods have a massive tracking penalty) and targets with evasion. Hitting Wingman will get you more kills on high-evasion targets (like gunships and scouts) at a medium to long range. Quicker and farther kills = less struggling = victory. This is a burst damage fighter, and it needs to unload accurate, powerful shots very quickly so that it can get the hell out of Dodge.

Offensive: Lieutenant Pierce / Qyzen Fess (25% ammo capacity & 6% accuracy / 2 degrees to firing arc & 6% accuracy)
Most of the other offensive crew choices are very lackluster and should probably be improved in some way. Accuracy and firing arc help your light laser fire, which is where the huge majority of your damage will be coming from. I chose Lieutenant Pierce on the Empire side for his copilot ability, since accuracy and firing arc were not available with Concentrated Fire.

I am always a fan of a larger renewable source of defense, and evasion is too good to pass up.

Tactical: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (sensor focus range & communication / communication & dampening)
Increased sensor focus range for finding enemies across the battlefield and communication range for a better view of the battlefield. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman. Unfortunately, the Republic only has two options for Wingman, neither of which are all that great. Running Interference and Concentrated Fire are also good choices here, though I heavily prefer Wingman. Having options is so nice, isn't it?

Engineering: Yuun / 2V-R8 (13% weapon power efficiency, 13% engine efficiency)
I go with these two because it really is the most effective choice (mathematically). The 13% weapon power efficiency almost completely offsets Frequency Capacitorís power drain and who can ever say no to 13% more engine efficiency? Itís just too darn good.

S-13 STING // IL-5 OCULA // FLASHFIRE // IL-5 SKYBOLT

The scout to end all scouts. The ďnerf me!Ē and ďnerf gunships!Ē battle scout. I like the impressive array of options this ship has, from primary weapons to secondary to engines and shields. I chose to list a fairly classic kill-Ďem-all build here, but thereís so much variety in this ship alone that you could type about it forever. If you just want a pure gunship-killing build, you could swap Cluster Missiles for Rocket Pods, Retro Thrusters for Barrel Roll, Targeting Telemetry for Blaster Overcharge, Damage Capacitor for Frequency Capacitor, and Running Interference (your copilot ability) for Concentrated Fire. There's so many options with this scout that it really deserves its own guide. See additional builds for this below!

Primary Weapon: Burst Laser Cannon (T4 Ignore Armor, T5 Increased Shield Damage)
An extremely accurate and deadly weapon, especially at the shortest ranges. I tend to fight with this monster as close as possible (under 1000m) to maximize damage and accuracy (further enhanced by your System and Copilot abilities). Ignore armor lets you strip turrets and take down targets like bombers and strikes using Charged Plating. Increased Shield Damage strips enemy shields faster, allowing your secondary weapon to deal more damage to hull.

Secondary Weapon: Cluster Missiles (T4 Increased Ammo Capacity, T5 Double Volley)
Solid close range damage to complement your Burst Laser Cannons. Increased ammo in T4 helps to offset the consumption of T5ís double volley, which does considerably more damage than Plasma Warheads. Double Volley also allows you to win an attrition war, though both volleys will be able to be broken by a single maneuver. Use this very often to force enemies to burn missile locks and allow your allies to land more devastating attacks, or simply to pressure an opponent into leaving an area. Can be swapped for Rocket Pods, if you really hate gunships and bombers but don't mind the little gnats flying about.

Engine: Retro Thrusters (T3 Increased Turning Rate)
These are amazing for head-to-head fights, giving you a huge edge with the additional evasion and damage time on the opponent. Retro Thrusters require practice but are quite fun to play with. With how close you are fighting, Retro Thrusters can easily mean the difference between a killing shot or letting your enemy limp away. Barrel Roll can be substituted here, though I prefer using Retro Thrusters more often than not. Regeneration Thrusters (and Engine Power Ups, when available) are more than enough mobility (partially in thanks to Barrel Roll's cooldown nerf).

Systems: Targeting Telemetry (T4 Threat Evaluation, T5 Precision Targeting)
Increases your burst damage capability substantially. I go with Threat Evaluation to boost my scoutís already extremely high evasion, making it both a defensive and offensive cooldown. Precision Targeting means your Cluster Missile and Burst Laser Cannon (which already has a chance to crit) criticals will absolutely devastate anyone hit by them. This can be substituted with Blaster Overcharge if you prefer. I switch between both fairly often.

Stacking evasion is still incredibly worthwhile and still the best defense you can get. Since Distortion Field has a base 6 second duration and likely wonít need to use the additional 3 seconds I opted for a second missile break.

Reactor: Large Reactor
More shields to protect yourself with. I find most kills are done through high damage in a short period, which is why I tend to favor Large Reactor over the others.

Being near obstacles you will typically be able to avoid the deadlier missile locks. Lightweight Armor does a better job of negating blaster, railgun and rocket pod fire than the other alternatives. Too many players utilize armor penetrating weapons, so I opt out of Deflection Armor in all my builds save the Razorwire/Rampart. This stacks with the crew passive, Targeting Telemetry, Distortion Field and Running Interference if you choose to go with it.

Thruster: Regeneration Thrusters
With all the boosting around evading enemies and closing in to targets and objectives, having a quickly replenishing engine pool is mandatory. I go with Regeneration Thrusters to give myself more staying power in the match.

Capacitor: Range Capacitor
Increases damage (see capacitor discussion earlier in this thread) and boosts your Burst Laser Cannons out to 4,400m range, just shy of your Cluster Missiles lock-on range. Can be swapped for Damage Capacitor.

Copilot: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (Wingman)
An amazingly useful copilot ability that lets you have a higher chance of hitting enemies that are off-center and targets with evasion. Hitting Wingman will get you more kills on high-evasion targets (like gunships and scouts) and win turning battles without a problem. Quicker kills = less struggling = victory. Again: Running Interference, Wingman and Concentrated Fire are all great choices here.

Offensive: Lieutenant Pierce / Kira Carsen (25% ammo capacity, 6% accuracy)
These crew members provide the best offensive power to your weaponry. Having an extra 6% accuracy for your primary weapon helps overcome evasion-stacking and allows you to take better glancing shots. 25% ammo capacity allows you to carry additional missiles, partially compensating for the capacity loss from the Double Volley upgrade. The Republic side does not have what I would consider to be an ideal crew member for this slot, but Qyzen Fess substitutes 25% more ammunition for an extra 2 degrees to your firing arc if you want to use Concentrated Fire instead. This can also be remedied by Weapon Power Ups or through allied ammo refills (Clarion/Imperium/Warcarrier/Legion).

Tactical: Salana Rok / Akaavi Spar (sensor focus range & communication / communication & dampening)
Increased sensor focus range for finding enemies across the battlefield and communication range for a better view of the battlefield. Primarily chosen for the active ability, Wingman. Unfortunately, the Republic only has two options for Wingman, neither of which are all that great.

Engineering: Blizz / C2-N2 (10% engine power pool, 13% engine efficiency)
Increase your mobility without sacrificing much offensive firepower. Burst Laser Cannon is typically "clicked" and not fired in a stream, meaning you do not tend to deplete weapon power as quickly. With your two damage-boosting abilities you will be taking less shots per kill and firing less often, so this allows you to focus more on engine power and efficiency, granting your fragile scout more mobility. If you find you frequently run out of weapon power (or don't like to fly all over the map continuously the way I do), this can always be swapped to 2V-R8 or Yuun.

:: ADDITIONAL SCOUT BUILDS

I'm hoping this section takes off, presenting a large variety of builds, reasoning and logic for readers to go through and try out! Thanks to the community for your support!