Hi. I am the creator of the "Acc vs surge" thread, which is where I worked out some gear guidelines as 2.0 launched: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=631161
. I am also pretty familiar with arpen: http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...40&postcount=2
I have created an example of a spreadsheet routine that'll gather your coefficients and will permit you to verify they are accurate. It takes significantly more time than pulling directly from torhead, but as you have found, the torhead coefficients are incorrect with distressing regularity.
Here is an example of my spread sheet:
For anyone who doesn't know, SWTOR tooltip mean values can be predicted pretty accurately as bonus damage*bonus coefficient + base, where bonus damage will be either your melee or force bonus damage, depending upon the damage type of your attack.
Steps to deriving bonus coefficient and base:
- 1. note your melee and force bonus damage for each attack that you want to find a coefficient for
- 2. note the tooltip min and max damage of each attack that you want to find a coefficient for, and calculate the average of that min and max
- 3. remove some gear
- 4. go back to step 1 at least twice
- 5. now you can compute change in average damage / 1 melee/force bonus damage. Let's note all min/max averages and bonus damages as pairs (p, q) = (average, bonus damage). Then your change in average damage / an increase of 1 bonus damage = (p2 - p1) / (q2 - q1) where p2 has both a higher min/max mean and a higher bonus damage
- 6. if you returned to step 1 multiple times, you have multiple changes in average damage / 1 unit of bonus damage. You can now take the mean of whatever changes in average damage / 1 unit of bonus damage values you computed
- 7. now that we have pretty solid changes in average damage / 1 unit of bonus damage values, we can figure out base values as well. Since min/max average ~= bonus damage * bonus coefficient + base, we can pick any pair of (mean damage, bonus damage) that we already found from our tooltips and subtract the bonus damage * bonus coefficient, where bonus coefficient was the value we just found with our spreadsheet. The end value should be our base.
- 8. Sanity check: Strip off all your gear except your mainhand and offhand weapons. Remove all mods from mainhand and offhand except the hilts, then recheck your tooltip spreads for each attack and your melee/force bonus damage. Your mean of tooltip spreads should still be quite close to base + bonus damage * bonus coefficient
However, note that sometimes the game's tooltip damage spreads are not correct.
I think this is true of Mind Crush on Sages, Shadows, Sorcerors, and Assassins of all specs, as well as Project/Shock for Shadows/Assassins (in the case of Project/Shock, the Shadow's Training buff is not factored into the damage spread in the tooltip for Project/Shock. Take whatever is reported in the tooltip and add ~650 to it.)