View Single Post

Thylbanus
02.22.2014 , 11:09 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg View Post
Can't say I look forward to it being that I don't know who that person is or care about them.
The current Galactic Starfighter is the evolution of Chris Roberts' games. It's the reason so many other people hated the "on the rails" space combat.

As for the rest, if it weren't Chris, I would probably be in the same boat as the rest of the doubters.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
Maybe I was a bit harsh with the word 'gouge', at the end of the day a microtransaction is there to allow those with money but limited gameplay time to access the content in a more favourable way. And I know I didn't call it 'pay to win

I was looking forward to 'Star Citizen' until I found out about 'Elite: Dangerous', there will be those players that enjoy both and those that sit very definitely in one camp over the other.
Let's look at comparative histories of each game:

Star Citizen: entered production in 2011 with the CryEngine 3 (of Crysis fame) Met it's kickstarter goal in 10 days. Has raised $39 million ( 23.4 million GBP) as of today. You can leave your ship and interact with others in space stations or planet side. Full landing capabilities on planets and planet side FPS combat and vehicles. 63 ship designs from interceptors to bulk freighters. The ability to board and capture opponents ships with melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat. Professional mod tools will be provided to all players. Extended hardcore flight sim controller support: Flight Chairs, multiple monitors, Track-IR, MFD (Multi Function Displays) and more on launch. In-game training sim. Player managed space stations. Localized into English, French, German and Spanish with plans to handle other languages afterwards.

Elite: Dangerous: entered production in 1998 as a single player game, converted to an MMO in early 2000 then BACK to a single player game the same year, then BACK to an MMO again in 2012 with the in-house designed Cobra engine. Met's it's kickstarter goal in 13 months. Has raised 2.3 million (which is $3.8 million USD). Cannot leave your ship. Cannot land on a planet. 25 ships from previous Elite games also ranging from interceptors to bulk freighters. English only for launch with other languages localized afterwards. No mod support. No expansions planned.

Elite: Dangerous is the natural choice
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson