View Single Post

Vaidinah
02.22.2014 , 07:54 PM | #2
Apparently my guide was too long as the character limit is 50000 characters. The rest of the guide is here.

Defensive Cooldowns

There are 5 defensive cooldowns used by a Guardian tank: Saber Ward, Warding Call, Enure, Saber Reflect, and Focused Defense. Beyond that, you can also use an adrenal every 3 minutes. For adrenals, use a Rakata/Exotech absorb adrenal as it boosts your armor instead of your shield and absorb ratings, which is especially important since Guardians have by far the lowest shield/absorb of all the tanks. Exotech is best for progression, but the Rakata version is almost as good and you can get a reusable version of it as well if you use Biochem. Biochem is a generally good crew skill to max since it just makes all those stims (Nano-Infused Fortitude), adrenals, and medpacs (Impeccable) reusable.

When it comes to using your defensive cooldowns, donít be reluctant to do so. They can do a great deal to help reduce the damage you take with Saber Ward and Warding Call being useful on every boss fight. The other skills range from somewhat conditional (Saber Reflect) to very conditional (Focused Defense).

Itís good to save Enure as a defensive cooldown in case there are problems during the fight. It increases your health by 30% for 20 seconds and removes all that health after it ends. It wonít kill you if you are below 30% of your max health, but will drop you to 1 health. Itís used as a stop-gap solution to give healers time to deal with other issues that may arise during a fight.

Beginner
Spoiler

Advanced
Spoiler

Master
Spoiler

Utility

Guardians have a variety of miscellaneous skills that arenít purely attack or defensive skills. One set of them Iíd like to mention are their crowd control (CC) skills, specifically single target ones like Force Stasis, Hilt Strike, and Force Push. These are skills that paralyze the enemy, causing one to be unable to attack or move. In the case of Force Push, it actually knocks the enemy back fairly far. If you are used to playing another tank, these types of skills are usually only used to stun/displace enemies as they do little to no damage. With the Guardian, they have other uses as all of them deal respectable damage. Due to this, you will want to make frequent use of them even during boss fights in operations.

There are a couple other crowd control skills that work on multiples enemies in a small area around your character. One of these is Awe, which stuns all enemies and does so for a longer period of time than your other ones, but breaks the stun upon enemies taking damage (this is called a ďmezĒ). The other is Freezing Force, which slows all nearby enemies by 50%. Neither of these abilities are useful most of the time in operation boss fights, but you may find that to be the opposite case during flashpoints and when leveling. There are certain situations even during boss fights when adds spawn that they may become valuable to you as well.

Beginner
Spoiler

Advanced
Spoiler

Master
Spoiler

Outro

Iím going to leave you with a Juggernaut parse with Guardian terminology shown in parenthesis.

http://www.torparse.com/a/557083/21/0/Damage+Dealt

This is an example of what can be done with a strong understanding of Guardian/Juggernaught tanking and this fight is 8 man Nefra HM. In this fight, I do 1348.81 DPS while using Enraged Defense (Focused Defense) twice and my gear is almost full 78 (was just missing 2 implants). The use of Enraged Defense (Focused Defense) two times costs me 16 Focus/Rage total (4 for initial cost + 4 triggers for each one) and I use it on every other Power of the Masters DoT the boss places on me. As my co-tank, an Assassin, is holding the bossí aggro, this helps out the healers without losing threat, though it does drop my DPS by a significant amount. I also cycle my other defensive cooldowns during the fight to lower the damage I take.

For my DPS itself, itís lower than that what is capable of being done due to this as the extra Rage would have allowed for more Vicious Slashes (Slash), more Vicious Throws (Dispatch), and a lot less Assaults (Strikes). If you note in the parse, you can see that I have delayed Smash (Force Sweep) and Crushing Blow (Guardian Slash) several times just as I mentioned in the Master sub-section of the Single Target Rotation. I also use my AoE taunt, Threatening Scream (Challenging Call), three times to shield my teammates during the Power of the Masters DoT.

Hopefully this guide has helped you understand just how much you can do to improve your own play and helped you with completing operations. If you have any constructive criticism or suggestions, please let me know. Good luck.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master