The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

@Mirdthestrill: Go right ahead and use Jurial's reasoning on Qyzen. It became more clear to me after one a couple of his companion quests. If you can get past the "Woot! challenge level 7 creature for 10,000 XP" Victorian Game Hunter vibe he's actually a monkish character, devoted to his goddess, and a fitting companion to the Consular.

Meant to post this with my last post but *oo shiny stats post* *wanders off surrounded by graphs*

Time again for the Weekly Prompt!

Week of 2/21/2014

Where are they Now? -- As our characters move through their stories they change the lives of many others, most of whom we never see again. The Force-sensitive Flesh Raider on Tython. Seh-run, the Abyssin on Korriban. Zi’am on Hutta. Paul and his elderly parents on Ord Mantell. That's just a few examples. Whatever happened to them? Did they became stalwart allies or bitter rivals? If they died because of our character’s actions, do they have relatives looking for revenge? We often remark about how characters from early on in the stories show up later to help or hinder our characters, or how characters from different class stories make cameos in others. How about some of these forgotten ones?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Xenobiology - Different species means more than different skin colors. It means different entirely different physiologies. Having friends whose bodies work so differently from your own can make things complicated, as everything from how you relax to how you dress and what your beauty rituals are (what is "lekku buffing", anyway?). How do your characters deal with differing biologies that they encounter?

Prompt - Where Are They Now?

Title - Knight!

Class - Jedi Knight

Minor Tython side-quest spoilers

Jasin watched as the Jedi team assembled in the hangar of the Jedi Temple. Fifty of the Temple's Knights, along with half their Padawans, and two Masters, would be going to the planet Raxus Prime to battle the Imperial forces digging for an ancient Sith weapon there. The problem hadn't been finding Jedi to volunteer, the problem had been choosing from the ones that had.

A female human in body armor and Jedi robes rushed into the hangar, nearly knocking Jasin from his feet. He stumbled and caught her by her forearms, pulling himself back up. He noticed that her Force presence felt vaguely familiar; he probed her with the Force and realized that he definitely did know her.

"Sorry," she said, embarrassed. "Sorry, I just didn't want to miss the...hey, you're that guy."

He frowned. "Master Jasin. And though I feel I have met you before, I am sorry to say I can't remember your name."

She laughed. "Not surprising. I'm Fia. We were Padawans on Tython together; you delivered a message from me to Master Till'in."

Jasin nodded in sudden remembrance. "Oh, yeah, that's right. Fia. So, you were Knighted, huh?"

"Hard to believe, isn't it?" she said with an excited giggle. "This is my first mission with a group of other Knights against the Sith."

Jasin smiled. "Well, then may the Force be with you."

She nodded and walked off to join the other Knights, and Jasin turned to examine the group. Well, there was one Knight he knew he could place his trust in, anyways.

Padawan Fia always makes me laugh when you meet her on Tython. She's very perky and earnest.

I'm so glad you folks enjoyed the stats! Now I have a barrel o' comments.

@alaurin, I have trouble laughing either at or with Doc when he's pursuing Ros after such a squicky start...good thing the rest of her crew is looking out for her.

@Allronix, I really, really liked Nadia's piece. Her four-year-old thought process and her father's worries both. It must have been scary watching her abilities grow when nobody on his home planet has the knowhow or resources to, well, help with it.

@DarthSillyMonkey, I think it's been mentioned, the detail about Drokk's handwriting is precious. I was dying to know what Mako's problem was throughout the intro...well, looks like she had (perceived) reason.

@icecreampants, "a functioning echocardiogram machine" is sometimes the perfect gift for Boss. And that's adorable.

@LaxKnight, I liked Relano's letter. And I'll admit I kind of liked Penelope's reaction, tone-deaf though it was. She's a dramatic creature.

@marissalf, oh, how awful to find yourself mourning the person who was supposed to save you. The glasses were a great focus to the piece.

@Mirdthestrill, I like the physicality you bring to Ketturah's pursuit - it's easy to forget that all the high-octane chases we end up going on have to be endured by in-story flesh and blood. Just which hand are you holding that blaster in while you're performing parkour at full rate? Yeah. Also I wanted to hug Tor for giving Mallena that listening ear and kind words.

Ketturah didn't make it into the three-stories threshold and so wasn't counted for Bounty Hunters. Who the new one is is a mystery even to me; it's hard to determine which characters are new since the last stats post. (Now, if I just add a 'date of first appearance' field to the Characters tab...bad Bright, no additional data entry!)

As for extra credit, yay! I never studied data visualization in school but this one spreadsheet has taught me more about Excel than any class could've crammed in.

@SifaSeven, anyone who wants to romance Talos has my stamp of "good sense." The touch about recording a missive in High Maevan was both sweet and characteristic. I love it.

@sthrift, I giggled at the blood pressure dig. And then you turn around with a wrenching leadup to the final, sinking-heart observation. Solid story.

@Striges, Vashutarl's piece was a heartstrings-tugger. With a guy in Special Forces you really wouldn't know where and whether correspondence arrives. Unless you get the rejection, anyway. All her worries sound terribly realistic.

@YoshiRaphElan, I just know that if I tried to fake an Imperial accent I'd make a total *** of myself within three words...Quinn seems like a good pick for tutoring in propriety. As for Jasin, I remember Padawan Fia. I like to think that a light-side Knight makes a lot of friends along the way.

And...*whew*...I guess now is as good a time as any, and please forgive the ego trip implicit in it, to announce that I'll be letting my subscription lapse and retiring from the forums. I have a couple of weeks to hang around, then it shuts off and I'm down to lurking. Striges has graciously accepted the role of Primary Prompt Giver, so that's settled.

The SFC has been my main reason to stay with the game for at least half my tenure here. The community creates the story content I crave in abundance, with a wealth of imaginations taking things in new directions in ways both poignant and hilarious. It's been a pleasure to read and write with all of you.

In recognition of our long and prolific history, I offer one more spoiler-free Goodbye featuring the first OC ever to appear on this thread, and in all likelihood bracketing the mission he was called to then (in the index it should go last, regardless of chronology):

Kaliyo lounged on the hotel bed, seemingly posed to ensure her grimy armor made a maximum mess. "Ever think you just want to blow this place and skip town?"

Wynston lounged to one side of the window, half paying attention to the report projecting from his wrist console. "I thought that's what we've been doing on a near-weekly basis from the beginning."

Kaliyo made a face. "I meant blow up."

"Ah. No, I can't say I've had the urge."

"You should try it sometime. It's a fun change."

Wynston raised his eyebrows. "Ever think you just want to leave someplace better than you found it?"

Kaliyo made an even more eloquent face. "No."

"Alas for incompatible operational preferences." He switched off the projection and turned his full attention to his beautiful Rattataki associate. "Kaliyo, I can keep us occupied until it's time for extraction if that's what you want."

"Don't flatter yourself, Wynce. Nothing beats running for your life from an improvised bomb that's about to send the neighborhood sky-high."

"I'm not sure it would stand out that much out there." Wynston looked out the window down at the cratered street. Humanoid figures swarmed behind barricades, exchanging glaring plasma fire. "Blast. The rebels are gaining ground. The route to the spaceport may be compromised."

"Guess we didn't hit them hard enough," Kaliyo said in an I-told-you-so singsong.

"Hitting them wasn't the job." But now they had places to be, and the insurgency was in the way. He looked over the war zone one more time. At least she would be happy. "Kaliyo?"

"Yeah?"

Turning, he tossed her a canister from his utility belt, the one that housed the thermal detonator. "Let's skip town."

Thanks for a great 1 3/4 years, and keep on writing!

Bright, I found myself week after week trying my best to write to the standard you set. You have been such a wonderful mentor, sometimes seeing things in my writing that I wasn't aware of. You will be sorely missed, as will Ruth, Wynston, and Vierce, just to name a few. Fair winds and following seas, as my military sons would say.

This thread truly won't be the same without you.

As always, I love the stats you keep, Bright...it's interesting to compare what you expect to see to what's really there, adjust for the forum demographics, etc. I'm pleased to see I've made my own, small, mark in that regard.

As for your second post... I'm sad to see you leaving the forum - as others have said already, you were a major inspiration for my writing from the start (particularly Vierce, given how uncertain I was about writing Ayrs). I don't think I would have gotten up the courage to begin writing fic or tackling more extensive stories and planning without your example. Even after I started, your regular comments and encouragement helped me get over my fear of what psychological harm my stories might be doing to my readers.

I can't say I blame you - sometimes it feels like my stories are the only really good reason I have for keeping my sub - but that doesn't mean this doesn't suck. I hope to continue reading your future writing on tumblr and I'll have Malicineve force choke Quinn in your honor soon.

*goes back to writing/pretending to work*

Index is up to date!

First off, a couple of general replies, as for the Index, you are all very welcome and I'm more than happy to do it since so many find it useful.....myself included. As for the Kat/Gault piece, I'm glad people liked it and where things are going for them. I'm trying to keep them true to character as much as possible, but I'd like to think Gault did a little growing up/soul searching after getting a fresh start. He will always be a schemer at heart and that's one of the things that I like about him......and his lines are just hilarious in game.

Comments:

@TrystanLaryssa: I have always killed that guy and I love your story about that experience! As for Nakova/Quinn, this is going to be very interesting to watch unfold. I do love to see that man squirm.

@Striges: Those are very valid and powerful fears to overcome and hope he finds a way to lessen them at some point. As for the Vashutarl/Ian piece.....GAH cliffhanger!! I love the letter, but now I'm worried about his fate!! I hope they can find out what's going on soon!

@Bright: Awww, those love letters were so touching and sweet......I know that Quinn had an ulterior motive, but I'm glad he gave those to Ruth. I also loved the goodbye piece.....*sniff*

@alaurin, I have trouble laughing either at or with Doc when he's pursuing Ros after such a squicky start...good thing the rest of her crew is looking out for her.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about allowing her a laugh at his expense either, but she needed it.....to finally let herself cleanse the hate and anger. She's not letting it slide though, this next part just wasn't finished and I wanted to post that last bit before the prompt change.

@marissalf: That was an emotional piece.....he wasn't the most popular guy on the ship, but Ellis was trying to help them both. Look at Gault being all comforting.....I can't wait to see how things progress with him and Mel!

@DarthSillyMonkey: That was a fun read......I can just see him in the doghouse for those letters and Mako's reaction when she finds out he wrote them for her. The comment about his handwriting was a funny touch.

@icecreampants: I really like where this is playing out and can't wait to find out why Delgrin and Raina were after them in the first place.

@LaxKnight: TeeHee.....Captain Lonestar....dare I hope that was a Spaceballs reference?! :D That was a touching letter and I like that Penelope was there to comfort Trysa.

@Yoshi: I really do like that Methic took Jarrus under his care to help the clone adapt to life as a LS Sith. I look forward to seeing more of this.

@SifaSeven: Awww, Talos.....I wish he were romancable too!!! That was such a sweet piece.

@Allronix: Awww, I love the insight to Nadia as a little girl and the love her father has for her.

@Mirdthestrill: I really love how the Mellena/Ketturah story is playing out simultaneously.....both of them have me tense, just waiting to see what happens next!

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed the Lissa/Felix piece that Kabe's lovely artwork inspired.

@sthrift: Ok, now you left me with that nailbiter!!! So not fair, but I'm really liking where this is going and I love how detailed you are with the military aspect.

I'm glad you like my families and where Tia's story is going. I was really nervous about it when I first started it, but it has been fun!

I wanted to say a special thank you to Bright for contributing so much to this thread and I'm very sad to see you go. You were one of the authors that inspired me to share my own works (hopefully that's a good thing) and the reason I finally leveled a Warrior. This thread will not be the same without your pieces and I'm sad to see you go.

Thank you Striges for taking up the weekly prompts!

Now, I have a follow up to that last piece with Ros......time to really deal with Doc.

Title: A Better Man

Prompt: Mea Culpa

Character: Roslynd-JK

Setting: Defender, just after A Cure for the Blues

Spoilers: JK Act 2 ending, general Voss planetary spoilers

**warning: mention of non-consensual sex.....nothing violent or graphic

Kira, Rusk, and Ros returned to the ship after walking around Voss-Ka. The scenery on the planet was breathtaking and despite seeing Imperials roaming freely on the still neutral planet, Ros found herself enjoying the serenity. Her laughter had freed some of the built up anger and hatred and she felt calmer than she had in weeks. She would never be able to forgive Doc, but she finally felt she could move past what they’d done. Ros realized that was about to be tested when she saw the medic waiting just inside the door.

“Hey, Ros…..can we talk?” Doc asked nervously, “In private?”

“Unbelievable,” Kira snorted, glaring at the medic. She felt Rusk tense next to her and knew he was just moments away from strangling the man.

“I swear by the Force,” Ros replied, her silver eyes piercing, “If this is yet another attempt to hook up with me, then I will make you leave this crew and I’ll turn a blind eye to whatever happens to you until your carcass exits this ship.”

“It’s not……I promise!” Doc assured her, those brown eyes darting anxiously between an annoyed Kira and an incensed Rusk. The thought of those two letting loose on him, as well as Lord Scourge, was terrifying.

“Fine,” Ros sighed, gesturing toward the med bay, “After you……Kira, Fideltin, I’ll be up shortly.”

Kira made a swiping motion across her throat at Doc, then reluctantly followed the Chagrian up the stairs as Ros went into the once again clean and sterile med bay behind Doc.

“Now, what do you want?” Ros demanded as soon as the door closed.

Doc cringed, “Are you still that angry with me? You were laughing at me earlier….”

“I was laughing because you looked so ridiculous I couldn’t help it…….that doesn’t mean I’m not angry.”

“I don’t understand……why are you so mad at me?” Doc replied, “Why does everyone seem to hate me lately?”

“Well, I can’t speak for the rest, but I don’t hate you,” Ros answered, “I hate that you can’t seem to get it through that thick skull of yours that I’m not interested. You’ve been hitting on me and Kira since Balmorra, despite being turned down every single time. I’m disgusted with myself for having sex with you even though the Emperor was controlling my mind at the time. I’m angry that you seem to think nothing of it and assume I’ll just fall into bed with you anytime you ask.”

“You had sex with Rusk too and no one seems to hate him,” Doc argued.

“Do NOT go there,” Ros rounded on Doc, anger flaring as she advanced on the medic, “Rusk is a better man than you could ever even fathom to be. Yes, I forced myself on him under the Emperor’s control and he resisted…..repeatedly despite being tortured. You saw what I did to him. It wasn’t until I was either going to rape or kill him that he finally gave in and the only reason he did that was so that I wouldn’t have to live with the memory of violating him.” Ros jabbed her finger in his chest, “You didn’t even try to resist and treated me like a conquest…..another notch on your belt. You know what Rusk did? He took control of the situation so I wasn’t forcing him. That disciplined, very private man made love to me, knowing people were watching, just to try and give me a pleasant memory instead……and did he ever. My experience with you was awful at best, with Rusk……well, let’s just say he knows how to treat a woman.” Ros actually smiled at the memory, then her expression sobered as she went on, “If that’s not enough to show you the difference, here’s something else....despite the fact that I tortured him into submission, Rusk actually feels guilty about what happened. Do you? Do you feel guilty for deflowering a woman who wasn’t in control of herself?”

“I never thought about it that way,” Doc muttered, not able to look her in the eye.

“That’s not surprising,” Ros shook her head, “Now was there anything else?”

“Yes,” Doc nodded, “I’m truly sorry, Ros……for all of it. I promise, no more flirting. I think I get it now.”

“I hope you can stick to that, Doc,” Ros replied, “because I really can’t take any more of it from you. So no more notes, no more flirting, no more attempts to seduce me, no more referring to me as anything other than Ros, Roslynd, or Master Jedi, no more bringing up what happened between us like its a fond memory....because I can assure you it isn't for me, and no more involving me in your schemes. If you can promise me that, then your apology is accepted.”

Doc nodded his acceptance and Ros left the room without further comment, hoping she finally put one of her demons to rest.

Edited by alaurin

Ok, I gotta catch up comments. That's coming soon, but first this has to be addressed...

Damn. Bright, I'm gonna miss having you around. Your work was an impressive yardstick to strive for, but even more so was the personality in your stories and comments. You really loved what you do, and it showed. I always look forward to what you have to say about my stuff and what you write, because I always look to learn from it.

That said, I get it. I'm currently in the same boat as you. I keep the sub going because I love reading all the good stuff, and entertaining the folks (hopefully) who're here. Someday, that ship will sail, as it has with you. Keep writing, regardless of what it's about, cause you've got a talent. You'll be missed muchly.

Bright, we'll definitely miss you! I've loved reading all your stories, and the dynamic between Ruth, Quinn and Wynston in all permutations always makes for a fantastic read. I hope you'll still post a few stories to tumblr if the mood strikes you, SWTOR-flavored or otherwise. (Though it'd be a shame to never hear about a certain Chiss' cerulean contours again ;) ).

And thanks, Striges, for forging ahead as our esteemed prompt-giver!

@ Bright,

I'm sad to see you go, it has been great reading all of your stories and your excellent milestone stat posts! I always looked forward to whatever feedback you had to offer on the small handful of stories I have posted. Like with a few other posters, your presence on the forums helped give me the courage to actually post my few humble offerings. Your a great writer and wonderfully prolific, I do hope you will continue to post the occasional stories on Tumblr, it would be a shame for you to stop. A huge shame, especially ones about a certain Chiss we are all in love with. :D

So, there we were, when *BAM*, comments! Out of nowhere!

@IceCream: Ok, I'm going to start with, I love your HK. He's very HK'ish. I alos loved Gault's line about fearing the people in cuffs, especially him being the escape artist he's always been. Nice follow up to your previous entry.

@LaxKnight: Awww, that was sweet. I'm liking Penelope. The reasons for taking up hunting (or bodyguarding, by the sounds of it) are relateable and make you feel for Trysa. Good job

@Yoshi: Jarrus' first day looks to be rather intense at the end there. I like that you showed him really trying to distance himself from Jasin, to really become his own person as much as possible. The bit about the red crystal has theories dancing in my head.

The return of Fia! She was one that I always wondered if she'd managed to make it all the way or couldn't hack it. I like how you kept her "excited as a kid at Xmas" personality.

@SifaSeven: I thought this piece was pretty good, up until the end. When I found out that "Some husbands..." were Talos Drellik, my opinion changed and I thought it was fantastic. What a great job of setting that up so that the reveal makes the preceding story even better than it was. I love a story that does that. Great job

@Bright: As always, you manage to make me care about companions I really didn't like much. I was rooting for Quinn so hard, then I thought he was going to blow it, then it turned out all right. You've always had a great grasp of the companion's voices and it really makes the story pop.

Some early Wynston! I like the contrast between the timelines. You can see how Kaliyo really brings out the chaos in him. The second to last line, I thought he had tossed a live one at her and was going to run, lol. I had to re-read that.

@Allronix: Awesome story of Kid Nadia. What I loved about the story most was the sense of that child like thought process we all had, and how you applied to to her force sensitivity. It really brought me back to how I viewed things when I was 5... which if we go by maturity age, proooobably not all that long ago.

@Alaurin: Doc. As Cupid... I can see that. Probably why I spit pepsi onto my monitor, so, y'know, thanks for that:D. Very cute little tale there. Loved the set up. I actually thought that Doc was going to be a decent guy this time, but as the old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him stop hitting on people who could kill him".

I did like how he pulled her aside like a kid who had no clue, and Ros giving him a piece of her mind and laying down the law.

@Striges: That was a great story. The returned messages, the doubt, the knowing your mind was making it worse than it probably was, all of that came through very well. Kira being the sounding board for doing what Vasshutarl wanted to do anyway was a nice touch. All around, great job here.

@Mird: I loved this chase scene. It came together in my mind like a scene from a movie (total Blade Runner background), very well written. The alternating perspectives was a nice touch as well, and I liked what you did with the Trooper, showing her mindset based on her first kill.

@Sthrift: Snipers and mortars? They're humped. I loved Voslic's back and forth with Top. Now that HAVOC's in communication with one another again, I expect there's a little payback to be had, eh?

Ok, so while I'm hopped up on Mt. Dew, I believe it's time to combine this week's prompt AND the next chapter in my ongoing story! (btw, thanks for the timely prompt, Striges! Fits peeeerfectly!)

Prompt: Where Are They Now?

Title: What Lies Beneath, pt.5

Words: 4,000

Timeframe: After this

Spoilers: A little thing that happens on Tython when you're around lvl.6 as a Padawan

It hurts so bad, I can't concentrate past the pain to stop my chest from hemorrhaging blood. Must've cut a major artery. I'm... I'm going to die.

It's now, as I'm falling towards the ground in slow motion, my life's fluid soaking my robes, that I finally understand the lesson Master Quilljayk was trying to teach me all those years ago. The lesson about humility. About perseverance vs. the easy path. That success is sometimes not determined by tangible results, but by how many times you try again after failing.

I cough up blood as I try to laugh.

I'm still falling as my life flashes before my eyes. I remember the padawan that could move the rock, even though it was supposed to be an impossible task. The person who ended my aspirations to be a Knight by telling Master Quilljayk the truth. The one who understood the lesson, even without experiencing the frustration; the one who was allowed to alter the course of my life, which is now ending without ever having done anything meaningful.

My name is Flingeld... and I could've been a Jedi.

Four weeks before I died...

"Excuse me, Master--"

"Archivist."

"I'm sorry?"

"I'm not a Jedi Master, I'm the Head Archivist in the temple library."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend."

"I'm not. Now, what can I do for you Padawan...?"

The dark skinned, dark haired young force user looked embarrassed, but I was used to it. After all, the newer padawan had yet to learn to passively recognize a force user through the force. I could sense that she had great potential... I still could do that much. Her master must be so proud.

"Rai'le, sir. I was wondering what was going on? A group of senior Jedi told us to suspend our training in the Gnarls, near the port, for the time being. Then they rushed off."

"Ah, that. I'm not sure. Perhaps a padawan is trying to joyride a shuttle, or the Flesh Raiders have foolishly attacked the training grounds again."

"Are we safe?" Her eyes showed a hint of fear. This one needed to practice more.

"Calm yourself, Padawan. We are surrounded by some of the Order's finest warriors and Sages. Remember, there is no passion, only serenity."

She took a deep, cleansing breath. "Thank you, Archivist...?"

"Flingeld. Archivist Flingeld."

"Thank you Archivist Flingeld." She looked at me and smiled, comforted by my confidence perhaps. "If you don't mind, may I accompany you to where it is you're going? You seem very knowledgeable, and I enjoy learning from knowledgeable people."

"Of course, Rai'le. I am on my way to Kalikori Village to deliver some farming texts. Are you sure your Master won't require you? The trip will not be short." Something about this girl... I couldn't put a finger on it, but she was fascinating.

"No, sir. He's on his way to the port right now, and released me to study on my own. After meeting you just now, I feel like I shouldn't pass up a chance to broaden my perspective."

"Your Master must be very proud to have such a wise padawan such as yourself, Rai'le. Very well, what would you like to know?"

As we walked the path to Kalikori Village, we discussed a wide variety of things, all of which I was studied in.

As the Head Archivist, I have access to all the knowledge the Jedi possess, outside of the technique holocrons. Access to that vault is restricted to the Head Librarian, and the Council only. A lesson I found out in my first years as an Archivist, when I was reprimanded for attempting to get into the vault. I had felt that if I learned a difficult technique, they wouldn't be able to deny my ability, and I would be accepted as a Padawan once again.

"Archivist Flingeld," she asked as we neared the village, "might I ask... I sense a great well of force energy within you. Why did you choose to become an Archivist instead of a Jedi?"

My head snapped to the side, and our eyes met. No one had ever told me that before. I mean, I had always believed I had great potential, but... well, she was just a padawan after all.

"There were... circumstances beyond my control. My Master felt I would serve the Order best in this capacity. Too few Jedi were, uh, willing to sacrifice a chance at glory in order to support from behind the scenes." Not exactly what had occurred, but few here knew the truth at this point. Those that did paid no attention to me anymore. No need for this Padawan to know my shame.

"I can see your Master chose wisely then. You are the most knowledgeable person I've met here. Probably more so than even my Master."

Of course I was. When I first arrived, I spent more time in the Archives than anyone else, trying to re-earn my place among the padawan. I read everything, tried to glean every piece of knowledge I could... but in the end, without technique holocrons, I was nothing. Smart, but not skilled enough to prove worthy of being a Padawan again.

"I thank you for saying so, Rai'le. I've often wondered how my life would be different if I had chosen a different path. If things hadn't... occurred as they did."

We had arrived at the village, and Rai'le thanked me for my time.

"Flingeld," I had told her she could drop the title when we were alone, "can I come visit you again?"

"Absolutely, Rai'le. I always enjoy talking with promising young Padawan such as yourself."

"Then I will make sure to do so!"

She waived as she took a speeder back to the Temple. It wasn't until she flew out of my sight, and I had starred after her for a few moments, that I realized how much I had enjoyed my short time with her.

Flingeld, don't be an idiot. She's a padawan anyway. Nothing could ever come of it.

Three weeks before I died...

"Where are we going, Rai'le?"

This girl was a miracle of the force. Not only had she come back to see me, she had visited me daily and in a short time, we had grown close. Now we were out, exploring the old ruins for old knowledge. Rai'le thought that if I could bring forth a discovery of some sort, I'd gain enough prestige to make my case to rise to at least Assistant to the Head Librarian.

"Flingeld, these are the oldest ruins on Tython. Think of all the things we could learn from them! When I was out here earlier, I found some ancient script that I couldn't read," she turned and flashed her beautiful smile at me, "but I knew you could."

"Well, I am well versed in older languages, but I can't guarantee anything until I see them... and with the sun setting, I'm not sure we'll get to today. We need to leave before it gets dark, Rai'le. It's dangerous out here."

"Sometimes you have to accept risk, to obtain something worthwhile. You wondered what your life would be like if things were different, now is your chance to find out."

She didn't understand. We had two vibroswords against hundreds of droids, who had no need to see in the dark, and they were tough enough in the daytime. That was one thing that hadn't changed since I was a padawan.

"Over here." She took my hand and led me up the familiar hill. I knew where we were. A day didn't go by when I didn't think about it.

As we crested the hill, off in the distance, I saw the boulder. The place my dream died. I involuntarily squeezed Rai'le's hand.

"Flingeld, is everything alright?" she wore a concerned look.

"No," I smiled at her, "I'm all right. Just... been awhile since I was up here."

"Well that would explain why you didn't know about these carvings then. I wondered why someone as brilliant as yourself wouldn't be up here daily." She turned left, through the broken wall of a ruined building. I followed, remembering that I hadn't gotten a chance to explore these ruins before the incident with the boulder.

"Here, see? These glyphs here." She directed her light to the far wall. I put down my backpack, and rifled through it. For the next few hours we dusted, transcribed, and studied from the books I had brought. It was fascinating. She was as smart as she was engaging. Unfortunately, our time together was interrupted.

Rai'le turned quickly to our entrance, and picked up her vibrosword. "Flingeld, do you sense that?"

I reached out with the force, but my abilities were still only little more than that of a padawan. I couldn't sense anything, but... I didn't want her to be afraid, of course.

"Yes. You can come out now! We know you're there."

A hooded figure, dressed in the armored robes of a Jedi Knight, stepped into the light of our lantern. She was about Rai'le's size, but her face was covered by her hood.

"Impressive. What are you both doing out here after dark? Don't you understand how dangerous it is?"

Rai'le began to speak, but I stepped forward, "Of course, however, I've been in these ruins at least a thousand times before. I brought the padawan with me to teach her some things she could not learn during the day."

"So," I could feel the hooded Jedi staring at me intently, "you would dare the dangers of these ruins for the sake of knowledge, and train a padawan to do the same?" Her gloved hand moved to the lightsaber on her hip.

Breathe, Flingeld. Breathe and stay calm. "Of course." I looked at Rai'le, "Sometimes you have to accept risk, to obtain something worthwhile."

"Excellent." the Jedi relaxed, "You are a fine teacher, Master...?"

"Um, Archivist. Archivist Flingeld."

The Jedi acted shocked, "Really? But I sense such a powerful connection to the force in you."

So it really is true? Why did the Masters never say anything? "Yes, well... things turned out a certain way, and I sacrificed my desires for the needs of the many."

The Jedi nodded, "As any good Jedi would. Now, however, I need you to take another risk, Archivist. I'm here because we have reason to believe that a Jedi who had recently visited here is planning to destroy the Order."

Rai'le gasped, and I scoffed, "Impossible. The Council would've known about that long ago. No single rogue Jedi can destroy the Order."

"Perhaps... but what if it was someone they trusted? A person around whom they let their guard down? I'm part of an Intelligence group here on Tython." The jedi flashed a crest, and an SIS badge. "I've been working with the SIS for weeks now. We believe we've narrowed it down to one person, but we need to get as much data on her as we can get to confirm our theory. I can't approach the Council directly, in case she's turned any of them. I'm on my own, Flingeld, and I need your help."

"I don't know. Even if I did trust you, I'm really not in a position to do you any good. I'm just an Archivist."

"I can sense your power in the force. Surely, you can sense my veracity?"

I looked again at Rai'le, "I feel no malice from her, Flingeld. I think we can trust her."

I reached out on my own, but felt nothing. I couldn't tell if she was lying or not, but I could feel the force surrounding her. If Rai'le trusted her...

"Well, Rai'le's right, you're not lying, but... what can I do? As an Archivist, I don't have access to the files you need."

The Jedi stepped forward and handed me a datastick. "This is an old, old code that will give you access to the files we're looking for. Possibly more, but don't be tempted, Archivist. We only need data on the Jedi Master."

"This is it, Flingeld!" Rai'le tugged on my sleeve, "This is your chance!"

She was right, of course. If there was a traitor in the Jedi Order, and I uncovered them...

"I'll do it. How do I contact you when I have the information?"

"You don't. Do your research carefully. Don't spend large amounts of time in that database. Piece by piece, get the information. Meet me back here in three weeks. If you think you're going to be caught, drop the information under that boulder outside. One last thing..." she produced two cubes from a pouch. "These are--"

"Holocrons" I gasped. "How did you get those?"

"I've been authorized to loan them to you for your protection. Study them well and learn. If she has friends here who are helping her, you may need a few new tricks to survive. Someone with your ability in the force should have no problem."

"Thank you..." I took the holocrons with reverence. "Who do you think this traitor is?"

"Her name is on the datastick. Look, you'd better get back before you're missed. A padawan shouldn't be out this late, her Master will be looking for her." The Jedi stepped into the darkness and disappeared.

Later, after I had walked Rai'le back to the Temple steps, I went upstairs to the archives. At this time of night, I was the only one there, which wasn't unusual. I accessed my terminal and input the datastick. As it went to work, I half-looked through the files, dreaming about claiming what was taken from me years ago.

Flingeld, Hero of Tython. Yeah, I could get used to that.

The Night I Died...

During the three weeks since I had last met the Jedi Knight, I had done exactly as she asked. I had studied the holocrons, learned the skills they taught, as though my life depended on it... because I realized after I had pieced together my findings, that it probably did.

The code she gave me allowed nearly unrestricted access to the Order's network. In that time, I had not only found all the information I could on this rogue Jedi, but that she was attached to a group that, as far as the students and instructors knew, existed only in whispers.

The Shadow.

Rumors abounded at nightly gatherings. They were ghosts who would disappear through walls; they were clones, when one fell, an exact replica would take their place; they had been genetically altered to be unstoppable killing machines with amazing speed; they saw everything, and everyone, at all times...

... They walked with one foot in the Darkness...

I met Rai'le at the entrance to the ruins. It might have been paranoia, but I was sure I was being followed.

"You made it! But you're late. I was getting worried. Are you okay?"

I took her hand in mine, "I'm fine, but we have to get to the boulder. We could be in danger."

Her eyes became alert, "What did you find?"

"C'mon, I'll tell you as we move." I led her through the ruins. Long ago, I had discovered a way to get to the area with the boulder without alerting the protector droids. It was a longer trek, but combat would slow us down.

"Flingeld, what is it? You feel scared."

"You've heard the rumors about those creepy Jedi that play with the dark side? Well, it's not a rumor. the Shadow are real, and the Council has gone to great lengths to hide them from everyone. That Knight was right on target with her assumptions. That Jedi is a member. The details are blurry, but from what I could tell, she's been involved in at least two assassinations, which is on the low end for this Order."

"Assassin-- that's impossible. The Jedi code--"

"I know! I know. That's why we're going to talk to this Jedi Knight. Have her get us off Tython. One of the many rumors around the Academy is 'If you take notice of the Shadow, then the Shadow notices you, and they will come for your soul'. I get it now. I get it."

"Flingeld, it's a rumor", she said as we began to climb the hill to the meeting spot.

I stopped, and turned to face her. "Rai'le, after spending so much time doing research of old legends, you begin to learn that every legend has its beginnings in truth. The reason no one has found out about the Shadow is because they will kill you if you know."

I grabbed her hand and helped her up the hill. Awaiting us, by the boulder, was the Jedi Knight.

"I was getting worried. Were you able to get what I needed?"

I held up the datastick, "It's all right here, but we need you to get us off planet. What's on this stick is dangerous!"

"Excellent work, Archivist. Here, give me the stick and we'll get moving." She walked forward, holding out her hand.

I felt something cold in my stomach. Something didn't feel right. Those weeks studying the holocrons, learning how to move things with the force... they had awoken other senses as well.

"Hold on." I took a step back, "When we're safely on your ship, I'll give this to you. Forgive me, but after what I've learned, I'm a bit paranoid."

Suddenly, I doubled over in pain as Rai'le heel kicked me in the groin, and swiped the stick from my hand.

"Here you are, sir. He thought he was being followed, I suggest we leave quickly." she said in an Imperial accent.

"*cough* Rai'le *cough*?"

The Jedi pulled back her hood. The moonlight revealed cobalt skin, and her red eyes looked down at me disdainfully.

"Very well, Temple. Double-time to the shuttle and prepare for takeoff. We have a small window to rendezvous with the Phantom, before we're spotted."

"You used me! Turned me into a spy!" I said as I stood up. I could feel the resolve strengthen inside me.

That's what the holocron had taught me. I needed to channel my resolve. Over the years, I had tried to move that boulder several times, but I had been too busy clearing my mind. Resolve is different. You could feel resolve. Resolve was action.

I reached out behind the false Jedi, to the boulder. I could feel it resist me, which made me even more determined to lift it, bend it to my will, for MY purposes, as the holocron had taught me. It flew off the ground and towards the Chiss.

She smirked at me as she nimbly ducked under it, "You little worm, I gave you that power... and, understand this, fool; Resolve driven by anger and frustration is nothing more than violence. And we all know where violence comes from." she disappeared with a *crackle-hiss*.

"What do you know?! I wasn't able to lift the boulder back then, but I can now! My RESOLVE did that... and my resolve now is to kill you both, and be the hero I should've been!"

Don't let her get to you. Resolve is not the same as anger... is it? No, it can't be, I'm going to be the he --*GHHHLKK*

The Chiss appeared at the same time she jammed the blade into my chest, then removed it as she stepped back.

I... I can't focus. I have to stop the bleeding. I need to foc... am I falling?

Fenn'rys stood there as she watched the life drain out of the sad little Archivist-who-would-be-a-Jedi.

"Are you all right, sir?" Temple walked up.

"Of course. The Archivist here may have learned some new tricks, but he forgot the most important part of using force powers in combat."

"What's that, sir?"

"All powers of the mind require you to have complete confidence in your abilities, in yourself. I sowed the seeds of doubt for just a second, and he lost focus. A fatal error, when fighting. Remember that."

Fenn'rys dropped the blade a few feet away from Flingeld, next to a droid she had disabled when she had arrived earlier. "Let's go. They'll come looking for him soon."

"What about your blade, sir?"

"That? It wasn't mine. It belongs to the droid. Now, let's move."

"Your training is coming along well, Temple. Your personality assessment of the Archivist was spot on, allowing us to use him for this operation. I must say, I am impressed."

They were back aboard the Phantom, in the conference room, and away from Tython.

"Thank you, sir. Unfortunately, I was unable to retrieve the holocrons before meeting him at the ruins' entrance. Lord Hast'ur will be... unhappy."

"No, he knew they would be lost. That's why they were basic technique holocrons. The plan always was to let a padawan study them, and become tainted. But why, Temple?"

The young lady thought for a moment before answering. The question was an evaluation of her perceptiveness. It was important to reach the proper conclusion.

A smile crossed her face, "The Sith artifacts and residual Dark Side energy would incriminate the Archivist. They would believe he had turned and was meeting someone that night to try and escape. You used the droid's blade so the Jedi would think both the Archivist and the Droid struck deathblows in the same instant. They'd follow our tracks into Flesh Raider territory, and assume we escaped when we found the extraction target dead."

"Excellent work, Ensign... but you have another question, as you should."

"The codeword. Won't they be able to tell he received that from someone? I'm sure override codes aren't left lying around,Sir."

"Very astute. Normally, that would be the case, however, that wasn't a codeword. It was a complex codebreaker hydra. It needed to be introduced physically into the database in order to create a backdoor, accessible only from this terminal", she pointed to the screen in front of her. "As the Head Archivist, Flingeld had the access required. It's now buried in their system, having left no trace of its existence."

"I see", Temple nodded. "One more question, if I may sir?"

"Of course."

"When you first encountered the Archivist, I felt your presence in the force. You have never mentioned being a force user, but even now I can feel it."

"I'm not a force wielder, Temple", the Chiss grinned slyly.

"Then how..?"

"With this." Fenn'rys reached over beside her terminal and picked up a vial if blueish-green goo. "It's a type of Algae that is in tune with the force. Lord Hast'ur discovered it during his bio-analytical experiments. I agreed to do a certain job for him, and in return, he gave it to me."

"So it gives you the ability to use the force?"

"Not exactly ", she held the vial up to the light. " It surrounds me with the force, making it appear that I'm in tune with it. Even in conjunction with the 'No Mind' techniques of the Orus'Ka style, a true Jedi would spot the deception right away. A novice, however, would believe I was a force wielder."

"Which is why I was sent to infiltrate the Academy, because I'm naturally force sensitive."

The Chiss smiled, "Exactly, but It was also a test of your abilities. As a future agent, you need to be able to blend in, read and manipulate a worthwhile mark quickly. I'm happy to say you did better than I expected."

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate your time and effort."

"Think nothing of it, Ensign. Now, you'll have to excuse me. As it turns out, in his final moments, that arrogant little Archivist managed to become something he'd been striving to be his entire life."

Temple turned around at the door, "What's that, sir?"

Fenn'rys held the datastick up, grinning wickedly.

"Worth a damn."

Notes:

Didn't want to ruin the surprise, so I didn't put a Class in the intro (Sorry Alaurin!) It should read Class: IA (Fenn'rys) for indexing purposes

I am a techno Cro-mag who has seen Swordfish several times. This makes me an expert on all things hacking, thus the use of the term "hydra" when talking about hacking complex systems through untraceable means.

The 'No Mind' technique isn't actually a technique, but a state of being that practitioners of martial arts, meditation, etc. reach after training for a very long time. It's a state of movement without thought or effort. There are no intentions, only actions. It can be cultivated to other aspects of your life as well. I've adapted it so Fenn'rys can use this technique to become unreadable by the Jedi, both in and out of combat.

Orus'Ka is a Martial Art so super secret, even *I* don't know where it came from. Which is probably for the best, since Fenn'rys would poison dart my a*s if I knew. Yeah, she's like that.

Aww, I'm gonna miss you, Bright!

Haven't had the opportunity to read much that you've written (someday I'll get around to leveling a warrior...), but your Adventures of Forced Companion Daycare thread is what got me onto the FanFic forum in the first place. I still look it up sometimes when I need to laugh.

@Bright:

There's no way around it. You will be missed. You are one of the Elder Statesmen (statespeople?) in this thread. When the SFC spun off the old headcanon thread, who would have guessed it would still be going strong this long? That's due in no small part to your contributions. You are always there with new stories, with commentary, with encouragment and interesting topics to write on. Those are some big shoes to fill.

I'm honored you chose me as your sucessor. I hope contributors enjoy the SFC thread under my stewardship as much as they have yours. Many thanks to Alaurin and Kabeone, Saintly Keepers of the Indices of Stories and Past Prompts. This thread would be a lot harder to maintain without them. I'd also like to thank whomever it was that lifted or extended the thread cap; may it stay lifted in perpetuity.

Bright already sent me the list of prompt ideas, so if anyone submitted one, don't worry, I have it. Please feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions for future prompts. I'll do my best to get them in the rotation.

This thread and forum are the main reason I've continued my subscription. We have some creative writers and interesting stories, as well as a friendly and supportive community. I've played several MMOs and I've never seen anything like the forum community we have here in Fanfiction. I've never seen anything like this thread or its AU sister. I'm pleased to be a part of it. I'm pleased to have contributed to creating a welcoming and pleasant place on the Internet.

The door's open. Please come in and have a seat. We have cookies.

With crappy wifi internet and no cell service I write to say I'm sorry to see you go bright. I'm fairly new to this thread so I'm not as familiar with everyone's work but I've always enjoyed reading your stories and coming up with great prompts. Thank you for you feedback on my work and your contributions here. You will be missed!

@bright A fitting and dramatic exit for Wynston. As for you, thank you so much for your contribution to this thread. Your Friday prompts, awesome stories, funny ideas, and encouraging comments are what inspired me to write and draw, so thank you very much. For me, at least, your writing here had a greater impact than simple entertainment and the writing alone was damn entertaining. I hope to see your writing somewhere so I can fangirl there if you don't mind.

@everyone else I'm glad this thread is still so lively nearly 2 years after it began. I don't have as much time to write/read this thread as I did in the beginning. I seriously wish I could draw and read at the same time. In any case I've been enjoying all the stories so far, keep it up!

Catching up with a backlog of comments:

@DSM, That was a good surprise! Excellent use of the ensign and her Force sensitivity. I really felt badly for the poor Archivist.

'If you take notice of the Shadow, then the Shadow notices you, and they will come for your soul'.

This is creepy as hell, and I love it. More on the Shadow, please :D

@alaurin, Damn, Ros is able to get Doc to not only apologize but agree not to flirt anymore? My new hero!

@Bright, Ah, that Ruth-Quinn story was lovely, especially with the letters interspersed in the conversation. I like the hope that’s there in the two of them trying again to reconcile. And in the last piece, Wynston and Kaliyo’s talk about skipping town feels fitting. Kaliyo getting to blow something up, even more so.

@Yoshi, Aw, I remember Fia! Nice to know she made it through training and became a Knight.

@sthrift, Those last two paragraphs were tough. I can just see that poor kid dropping to his knees. The “Another face to remember” line was poignant and sad.

@Mird, I liked Mallena’s reaction to her first kill. She’s glib in response to others with “it’ll pass,” but clearly she does feel some guilt about it.

@Striges, That letter was beautiful from start to finish. It was heartbreaking to see that Ian hadn’t received it. Glad Vashutarl is calling in a favor to look into the matter.

@Allronix, Little Nadia asking the jar to come down nicely is just adorable. And that really would be frightening for a parent to see their child doing something like that and not know how they’re doing it.

Prompt: Goodbye

With Mel, Kinka, Mako, Gault and Torian

Picks up right after the last story, Not Forgotten. About 1500 words. No spoilers

Despite the prompt, this isn’t Mel’s last story. But it does mark the end of the running from the killiks and looking for cures that don’t exist arc. I’m not completely happy with the way this turned out, but I’m excited about what comes next, so I’m pushing ahead anyway.

Mel plopped onto the last open seat around the breakfast table in he galley-turned-conference room and propped her feet up on the tabletop. Still no sleep after Ellis’ death. Nothing significant anyway. It was taking its toll, but in the haze of grief and exhaustion, a plan of action was decided. At five in the morning, she’d gathered her crew — no, her friends — for badly burned eggs and a meeting.

She’d practiced this a hundred times over in her head. Act as nonchalant as possible. Don’t show any emotion. Say your piece and don’t look back. The key was not to look at their faces. Their knowing expressions would kill her.

“I just wanted you all to know that we’ll be returning to Alderaan before the next bounty stop to refuel and stock up on supplies.” Even breathing. Focus on anything but their faces. Oh look, toast. Mel swallowed and stared at the burnt bread. “And then you’ll be heading to Hoth without me.”

Mako, Gault and Torian said nothing at first. Mel wasn’t sure how to take their stunned silence.

“This is something I’ve gotta do,” she explained. “Ellis was my last hope, and I’m not going to go out like he did. If this is gonna happen... If I’m gonna become a Joiner, it’s happening on my terms, not theirs.”

Gault cleared his throat and grimaced through a regrettable bite of limp nerf bacon. “Can’t help but notice Mom’s not in on this pow wow.”

“That’s because I need to tell her myself. Alone. I don’t expect it to be a pleasant conversation.”

Torian and Mako kept stoic expressions, though with Torian it was hard to distinguish his strong stoic face from his normal, everyday face. It was Mako’s silence that worried Mel most.

“When?” Torian asked.

“We’ll be there in a day or so. If you guys don’t mind, stay out of the way until I’ve talked to my mom. We need to be alone.”

“Morning, mom. Want a Caf?”

Kinka turned and blinked away tears as she looked back at her daughter. “That’s all you have to say, Melodai?”

Mel sat the mug on the nightstand. She had known what was coming already. “Who told you?”

“None of your crew.” Kinka picked up a tiny bit of electronics, so small it was barely distinguishable from some of the dust bunnies the ship had accumulated over the years. “I was a spy, Melodai. I still remember how to use all the tools.”

“You spy on me?”

“No, not you. They were leftover from —” She bit the sentence off before it could cause any harm, but it was too late.

“Left over from Ellis,” Mel whispered. She slumped beside her mother on the bed and rested her head on the older woman’s shoulder. “Did you ever lose people, mom?”

Mel felt her nod. “Everyone who’s ever been a leader has lost someone or will lose someone. If you’re lucky, maybe you only have to see it once. But I’ve never known anyone who was lucky. You deal with the pain as best as you can and you keep going. For the people left if nothing else.”

Mel pulled away and wiped at her eyes. “So you know what I’m planning to do. What are you thinking right now?”

“I don’t like this, Melodai.” Kinka’s eyes were shiny with new, unshed tears. “There are still plenty of avenues we can explore. The Empire’s scientists are making progress with these things all the time. We could get you into a study on Dromund Kaas. I just want you to consider your options before committing to something so final.”

Mel knew her mother would fight hard against the decision to give herself up to the killiks. She’d spent ten years as part of the hive and had firsthand knowledge of what Mel would be facing. And they’d only gotten to have a few months together after all that time apart. It was the one conversation Mel was ready for, and the one that would be hardest to get through.

“I’ve looked at all the options, mom. This is the only way that lets me be in control. Kaas scientists would lock me up as an experiment. You know that. This is what I need to do. The most life-changing thing to ever happen to me should be my choice. They aren’t taking that away.”

Kinka closed her eyes and bowed her head. She’d heard the fire in her daughter’s voice and knew there was no changing Mel’s mind. She had too much of her mother in her. “I’ll go with you.”

“No.” Mel was emphatic. “Not after everything we went through to get you out. No.”

Kinka hugged her daughter tight and resigned herself to the fact that their fates would now be reversed. “I love you, sweet girl. Don’t ever forget that.”

“Don’t look at me like that, Mako.”

The slicer had kept to herself most of the day. Catching up on chores, she’d told Torian. Avoiding Mel if she were being truthful about it. But her hiding spot in the supply room had been discovered.

The slicer stuck out her lower lip and looked away. “Like what?”

“Like I’ve just sold your akk puppy to a Hutt. Listen, I’m going to be OK. They aren’t going to hurt their great savior, not after all the hassle they’ve gone through to get one.”

“I know you’ll be fine. I do. But what about us? What are we going to do without you?”

“Oh.” The thought hadn’t occurred to her. She just assumed they’d carry on the same as they always did. Like the time Gault and Mako bagged a gang leader on Tattooine after Mel had come down with the flu. But now Mako was genuinely worried.

“None of us has anywhere else to go. We follow you because you’re, well, you. Great Hunt Champion. Most bad*ss bounty hunter in the galaxy. The only family any of us has left.”

Mel swallowed the lump in her throat. “You think Torian and Gault will leave?”

She shrugged.

“Are you gonna leave?”

“No, you know I’m not. This is the safest I’ve felt since Braden and Jory were— Since they’ve been gone. All of this works because none of us has anybody else. And we all have you.”

Mel hadn’t planned on this being the hard conversation. Mako wasn’t making it easy to get through without breaking down. “That’s a lot of pressure to put on me. I’m not exactly the best at being a leader. Most of the time I skate by on dumb luck. That and my natural charm.”

Mako finally let out a hoarse laugh. “You sound like Gault.”

“See, proof that I need some time away.”

Mako’s smile crumpled into a lip-quivering frown.“Yeah.”

Mel hugged Mako and fought against the damn lump that refused to stay buried. “I promise you, everything will be OK. Trust me.”

A smile pulled at the corner of Mako’s pout. “I do.”

“Good. Because you and I know those boys can’t survive on their own.”

The laugh from Mako was genuine now. “Speaking of the boys, make sure you see Gault before you go.”

“Hey.”

Gault didn’t look up from the rifle he was cleaning. “Am I your next stop on the goodbye tour?”

Mel snorted. “Something like that. Got a minute?”

“Depends on whether you’re going to ask me to go with you. I still have the heebies from the last time we went on the insect safari.”

“Would you go?”

He kept his countenance even and continued focusing on the gun. “Terrify the hell out of the some inbred nobles afterward? Be still, my heart.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not asking. But I need something else from you.”

He sat back on the sofa and finally gave her his full attention. “Shoot. Though before you ask, I don’t do watering plants, feeding fish or wrangling space hamsters. But I’m yours for anything else.”

“Anything, huh?” She coupled a raised eyebrow with a smirk and could have sworn she saw the ruddy-skinned Devaronian blush just slightly before going serious.

“Name it, Red.”

“I need you to take care of my mom. You can have whatever you want, I don’t care. But just don’t leave her alone. I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go. I don’t know if I’ll be able... If I’ll remember. Just do this for me, OK?”

Gault nodded. “Anything for the boss.” He grinned, but it was wobbly. “I’m going to hold you to getting that hot tub when you get back though.”

When, not if. She appreciated the sentiment, even if he wasn’t really as confident as his words suggested. “Top of the line. Promise.”

Mel drank in one last morning sunrise with eyes that were solely hers on the short ride to the old Cortess grounds. She had no idea what to expect when she got inside. How any of the Joining process would work. If it would hurt. What her life would be like after. But there was almost relief at knowing she wouldn’t need to fight it anymore.

Four large killiks stood guard to the hive and tensed as she approached. They pointed sharpened staffs at the intruder and let out a low sort of hiss. Mel held up her hands to show she was unarmed.

“You know who I am and why I’m here.”

They chittered amongst themselves in response before relaxing their defenses.

“Good. Get out of my way and let’s do this.”

Comments, firstly!

@Bright. Ah, dangit. You will be missed on the forums, believe me. I enjoyed reading your comments on the "Story and Lore" forum, too, btw! But hey! Surely there are places we can continue reading your work. Make sure to continue sharing, and hugs!

@DarthSillyMonkey. Such a wickedly cool end to Flingeld. Doesn't hurt that I always enjoyed that quest, too. To me, it spoke to how the Jedi viewed the Force and their use of it, that it wasn't about doing something the easy or simple way. The sense of personal responsibility was implicit. You captured that, just by showing that even in the end, Flingeld didn't quite get it.

@Yoshi. I always liked Fia, too. She was cute as all heck. Almost exasperatingly so, too, lol.

Now, let me see if I can toss some stuff up here, myself.

Title: Korriban

Prompt: Where are they now?

Character: Jessa is the eldest child of my warrior, Lusiel, and Quinn

Spoilers: None, if only because the setting is far distant from the Warrior story itself. Originally posted this as a continuation of my Warrior story on Fanfiction.net.

Her head was hurting, the ache spreading in a numbing arch along the front of her skull, until it seemed almost a pulsing rhythm as keen as the sound her sword made when she was jumping along the sands of the practice arena back at home. Not that she could blame her current discomfort on her old teacher, either. His calls for her to improve her stance, to move faster, or to swing harder weren't the impetus for the pain reverberating in her head, not this time around.

No, old Tremel couldn't be blamed today. She blamed the little twit of a nuisance, rather, who'd perched herself against the same bench on the shuttle heading down towards the planet's surface that Jessa was resting on during the journey. The girl had spent the entire time taunting Jessa's paternal bloodline, in fact. As if "common" was ever a word to be applied to Jessa's father, she thought to herself, and never mind whatever the little witch called him.

"He's not even force-sensitive, is he? Just an ordinary nobody. I'd be ashamed to admit such a man helped make me, if I were you."

"Perhaps, then, I should be gratified you're not, hmm? I mean, I happen to appreciate my mother chose someone so vital to be my father. There's no need on my part to hide or even paint my face."

She heard one of the soldiers resting his helmeted head against the back of the seat in front of them muffle a bark of laughter. The girl's narrow face flushed bright red, nearly as bright as the huge splotch of a tattoo that marred her cheek and extended over her eye. Jessa very nearly laughed herself as she watched the girl change colors. But she only smiled tightly, instead. Vette had assured her, as she was preparing to leave, there was no need to stop playing their game, insisted, "Look, just because you're going to be stuck on that bright, red ball of misery is no reason to forget how much fun we've always had! Hey, it's better to keep them guessing what amuses you. It makes you look all deadly when you're soooo serious. And that's funny, too, when they get all nervous and stumble over themselves, huh?"

The bump of the shuttle as it reached the landing pad jarred all of them, and for a single sweet moment, she could easily ignore the girl's minor, annoying presence, as they all busied themselves rising up and shuffling towards shuttle's doors. It was when they paused the brat tried again. "I heard he was nothing but an ordinary soldier, right? Some minor nobody, who's only claim to aptitude is the ability to convince a Sith Lord to call him husband."

Jessa eyed the shuttle's doors, where she could just make out the swirling red sands and jagged twisted rocks. The warm, moist climate of Dromund Kaas seemed even further away all of a sudden. Another stab of pain in her forehead throbbed, and she sighed softly. The little cretin of a girl was still barking at her, anyway. "What's his name, even? Your father's, I mean."

Jessa glanced back at her, as she stopped there just at the door's opening. She nodded slightly at the shuttle's pilot, who was gesturing for her to move through the door, prepared to hand her off to the guards waiting at the bottom of the ramp for the new acolytes to disembark. "My father is called Quinn, of course. I'm surprised you'd have to ask. Or were you interested in knowing his given name? Why would you concern yourself with such a thing?"

The pilot startled, Jessa noted. He elbowed the soldier standing next to him, the one who'd laughed earlier, and lifted his chin in Jessa's direction. The man's chin tightened under the face plate of his helmet just before he turned and exited the shuttle, but Jessa saw him pause to mumble something to the guards at the bottom of the ramp.

Not that Jessa's needling tormenter noticed any of that. Foolish chit. Awareness of the nuances around you was the best way to preserve your heartbeat, she thought. But the fool merely sniffed disdainfully, her focus entirely on Jessa herself, rather than their surroundings. "My father is called Gratham. He's Sith."

"I know." Jessa rubbed one small hand along the round hilt of her vibrosword, clutched at it. "My mother killed your father's firstborn. He's spent the entirety of my eleven years trying to kill me for sake of revenge against her. And failed every single time, I might add. All of it, mind you, thanks to my so-called 'common' father's skill at seeing through his pitiful assassination attempts." She leaned closer to the fool girl, smiling. "I knew who you were before we even climbed onto this shuttle."

Jessa watched the girl's green eyes widen, as fear sparked there for the first time. She smiled, thinking to herself it wouldn't be the last time she scared the ninny. If little miss "my father's better than yours" didn't watch out, the last time Jessa scared her would be her very last time, in fact. For now, however, Jessa ignored her utterly in favor of experiencing Korriban for herself, rather than vicariously through her mother's stories, admonishments, and guidance.

Her mother's eyes had gleamed darkly when she spoke of Korriban. "A place of power, lurking, resting sometimes, and sometimes flaring. Those unprepared, or those too weak to withstand it, are easily overwhelmed. You will not be, Jessa. It will lift you up, fill you. As it did me. Like coming home, maybe." Jessa felt a twinge as she thought of her mother, thought there was no way she'd ever regard Korriban as home. Not when they were so far away. Sparring with her mother was one of her favorite pastimes. Dancing across the training arena with her, their swords swinging, clanging against each other, while Tremel yelled at them from the sidelines – she'd miss it utterly, those moments watching her mother move smoothly, like water flowing almost, and knowing she was quickly becoming proficient enough to leave her mother's forehead marked with beads of sweat.

Lusiel had insisted Jessa's challenge lay as much in being her child, as it was an advantage. She'd be required to live up to a higher standard, even more than the average acolyte. Survival, for her, would never be enough. She'd have to transcend her mother's example, in fact. That, and outmatch every single schlub who tried to prove himself by taking on the Wrath's daughter.

Which is where her father and his guidance came into play, of course. The soldier standing at the bottom of the ramp reached to touch her elbow softly, ostensibly helping her step off onto the wide open surface of the shuttle landing pad. He leaned closer, only briefly, whispering quickly, "You're Admiral Quinn's daughter?" Jessa lowered her chin, a subtle inclination. The soldier pressed his lips hard together, nodding slightly as he stepped back into a formal and unobtrusive position again.

She was satisfied. The soldiers who acted as guards in and around the temples and training grounds of the Academy would prove to be assets if treated properly. Best, anyway, to coddle them, fight for them and support their efforts as much and as often as possible. They'd repay her for it. But it was good to start off with the sheer bribery that lay in pleasing her high-ranking Imperial father. Friends among the guards meant it would be harder for her fellow acolytes to sneak up on her.

She turned to face the rising crags of twisted rock that surrounded the training grounds and entrance way to the Sith Academy, ignoring the spluttered complaints of Gratham's annoyance of a daughter behind her. Her father's voice was swimming in her mind right then, rather. "Korriban will offer you challenge in every moment, every interaction. You possess the skill, the strength that's necessary to overcome every one of them. You've learned well, Jessa." She closed her eyes, bringing that memory to the front of her mind, pulling it free from the depths of that inner space where she'd stored it, used it now as a balm, a comfort. A technique her father had taught her when she was still in swaddling clothes, in fact.

So she remembered. The way he'd stood there, gazing out the viewscreen as they both took in the red ball of a planet that was Korriban from high above the world. The pale red light reflecting from the planet had glanced across his dark hair, highlighted the look of pride that he slid towards her through eyes so much like her own. There had been whispers about his looks, that he remained far younger-looking than his actual age should've permitted, rumors his Sith wife performed rituals that kept him fit and healthy. But precious few outside of family and their most trusted followers knew of the real bond he shared with his wife.

He'd looked at her, there, and his eyes shone brightly with the pride he felt for her. She clenched her fists tightly against her sides, now, as she looked out over the expanse of Korriban's red landscape, breathing steadily, rhythmically, as she prepared herself. Gratham's daughter raised a shrill shriek at one of the guards, something about their "filthy fingers" touching her tunic. She smiled, imagining the ease with which she'd destroy the girl.

Then she stepped forward, placing her small leather-soled boot onto the sand for the first time. She was ready.

Prompt: Xenobiology

Character: Lusiel (SW), Quinn, Pierce, Vette, Toovee, and Broonmark's fur

Setting: Warrior's ship, during breakfast, shortly after Lusiel and Quinn's wedding

Note: There's a lot going on here, with really only a brief mention of the tendency my Vette had when it came to brushing out Broonmark's fur on a routine basis. It was funny, when I wrote my Warrior story, I never really intended for Broonmark and Vette to get along so well. It was a weird pairing but it worked, strangely enough.

"Vette, there is fur all over the ship. At this rate, we'll be able to market Broonmark's down for manufacture into pillows within the week." Quinn lifted his foot, to regard broodingly the tuft of fur stuck to his boot sole that had him skidding across the floor for one anxious moment.

"But he likes it when I brush him out!"

"I'm not sure he'll like it so much when he's bald."

Pierce glanced up from his meal of oats smothered with glazed apples and fruit compote. The Twi'lek was stomping her small foot at the Imperial, in what was surely an image no one would believe might occur anywhere in the Empire, let alone in the mess of a ship belonging to one of its fiercest Sith warriors. Quinn certainly didn't respond to Vette's audacity as any other Imperial would. He didn't twist her lekku or lash her face with a hard slap, anyway. No, he only rolled his eyes at her and spoke of a hairless Talz.

Pierce was actually amused at the utter incongruity of the exchange but he bit back his grin. Barely. Jaesa must have felt the same, because she offered a little laugh from her place at the other side of the table. Pierce glanced over at her. "He acts more like her daddy than he does the captain of the ship."

"Oh, don't say that to Vette! She'll start calling him that every chance she gets, I'd bet! It's bad enough when you imagine there will eventually be some small person running around here who calls Quinn father." Jaesa giggled at the thought.

But Pierce snorted. Giving Lord Lusiel an heir would certainly seal the deal for the captain, he supposed. It was enough to ruin his breakfast. Watching as Quinn thrust a broom into Vette's hands didn't even help soothe his growing upset with the man. Damn know-it-all officers and their maneuvering. By the time Quinn approached the table to retrieve a bowl, Pierce had built himself up into a regular fit of offended pride.

Jaesa greeted the captain as he began eating his food. "Where is Lord Lusiel this morning, Quinn?"

"She is still sleeping, actually."

"Oh. You must have kept her up too late." Jaesa tsked at Quinn with a twisted look of amusement glinting her golden eyes.

"I hardly think it's appropriate to discuss such things at the breakfast table, my lord."

"Really? Can we discuss them over dinner, then?"

"No."

"Lunch?"

"I really would like to finish eating."

Jaesa laughed outloud, which Quinn very blatantly ignored.

Pierce suddenly tossed a datapad into the center of the table. "Captain, you should read this. It's a new study out about Sith and non-Sith relationships. Did you know that Siths are over two hundred percent more likely to commit adultery than normal people?"

Silence fell like lead over the mess as everyone froze. Even Toovee's annoying whining stopped. Quinn reached over to pick up the datapad, glancing at its contents briefly. "Lieutenant, I once made the mistake of calculating my lord's talents and skills as if she were a typical Sith. I realized within very short order that there was nothing typical about her. I hope you come to the same understanding quickly." Quinn stood up. "Because if you ever insult her like that again, I will make sure you regret it."

Vette was standing by the door, her lekku twitching, as Quinn left. She grimaced when she saw his bowl of uneaten cereal and fruit left behind. "Dammit, Pierce, what the hell was that?"

"Ah, come on! Doesn't it bite you in the craw he only married her for the chance she'd advance him through the ranks? I don't have respect for officers like that, more concerned with their own place than with the battles they wage." Pierce sneered.

Vette was trembling with anger by the time he was finished. "I won't waste my time with such amazing idiocy. Hell, even Toovee is smarter than you!" She tossed the broom down and stormed out of the mess.

Pierce muttered angrily as he spun back to face his bowl again. He noticed Jaesa, then. The Sith was glaring at him from her place across the table. He gulped. He began to slowly edge himself back and away from the table.

The first blow sent him flying back into the nearby wall and sent a hard booming sound through the ship as his armor clanged wildly on impact. The second came when a chair suddenly hit him in the gut. The third actually made him let loose an "oof" when he felt his bowl thud against the side of his head.

"Exactly what is going on in here?"

Both of them looked towards the doorway of the mess to find Lusiel standing there, staring at them with a bemused expression on her face. Pierce grunted, still frozen against the wall, while oatmeal slid soddenly down the side of his face. Jaesa actually smiled. "We're playing a game, master. Would you care to join us?"

Lusiel stood there, frowning. "I'm not sure what he did but you can't break him, Jaesa."

Jaesa pouted.

"I mean it."

"Very well, master. I won't break him. Although he deserves it."

Lusiel shook her head as she turned and left.

Jaesa turned back to glare at Pierce again. He glowered at her, "What exactly do you think this will accomplish? Won't change my mind!"

She suddenly leered at him. He frowned as Jaesa canted her hip to one side, just before she began sauntering closer to his frozen position against the wall. She reached up and grasped his head, pulled him down until his mouth was aligned with hers. Pierce moaned as Jaesa began nibbling at his lower lip. She pressed herself even closer, pushed her hips up against his.

Jaesa laughed softly when Pierce groaned loudly against her mouth. "If I were you, lieutenant, I'd be far more concerned about your own Sith and non-Sith relationship, than my master's."

"We don't have a relationship! We screw every so often, is all."

"Are you saying you would be all right with me – ahem – screwing someone else, then? Since that's what Sith do two hundred percent of the time, I mean."

Pierce scowled.

Jaesa laughed. "I thought so."

"I'm nothing like him, Jaesa, dammit."

Jaesa shook her head at him. "Oh, I know that, Pierce. Trust me. He loves her, after all. That's hardly what I'd expect from you." Pierce scoffed but she only stared at him. He frowned, thoughtful. He understood Jaesa's abilities too well to completely discount her assurance over the question. Jaesa finally turned and started walking out of the room, leaving an oatmeal-slathered Pierce to slowly slide down into a heap on the floor.

Bright

As a constant lurker on these forums and this thread in particular, I wanted to wish you well on your next adventures. Your enthusiasm, positivity, and encouragement has helped make this thread and this forum into what I feel is a great community.

I have enjoyed and admired your works and am sorry to see you go.

Best of luck.

P.S.

A big thank you to Striges for stepping in with prompts, and to Alaurin for managing the index.

Thank you very much Bright, for sharing your wonderful stories with us, for the inspiration, and the encouraging comments.

We will miss you on this thread.

As I am late with saying goodbye, I also had the opportunity, to see your story post on tumblr.

It makes me very happy, that you still will be sharing your stories.

Thank you.

Bright:

Thank you for all you've done for this thread and for this writers' community. I <3 your stories of Ruth, Wynston and Quinn and I'm glad you're still sharing your stories elsewhere.

You're an excellent writer. Fair wind and high seas to whatever you decide to do next!

:D