The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Prompt - You're Invited

Title - Confronting Himself, Pt. 2

Class - Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior

No spoilers

Jasin took a deep breath and walked over to the hidden door in the wall. Scourge had the scientists at lightsaber point, waiting for Jasin to make his move. He felt that he needed to enter and speak to his clone, whether or not it was insane. Maybe he could help it. And, given that it appeared to be the source of the dark presence he'd been sensing, he had to do this if he wanted that presence to go away.

The clone saw Jasin entering and raised his lightsaber, but the madness disappeared from his eyes. Instead, Jasin saw surprise, fear, and...hope. Panting, the clone stood his ground. When Jasin took a step forward, the clone growled like a wounded animal and took a step back, reaffirming his grip on his lightsaber. Jasin held up his hands to show that he meant no harm.

"You're...me!" the clone managed. "How?"

"I am you. I'm going to explain, but I don't think you're going to like it." He paused. "Can you put the lightsaber down? I don't want to have to worry about you killing me."

The clone lowered his lightsaber but did not deactivate it. "You're a Jedi."

Jasin nodded.

"And I'm a Sith."

"No. You're not. That's what they told you but they're wrong. Being a Sith is a choice, and you never got to choose." He took a step forward. The clone flinched but didn't raise his saber. "My name is Jasin. I am a Jedi Master."

The clone nodded. "Jedi...Sith...I don't understand. I'm not a Sith?"

Jasin shook his head. "I'll tell you what you are...who you are, but it's going to upset you. Do you want that?"

The clone swallowed. "Yes. I have to know who I am."

"The truth is, you are a clone of me. Those men out there created you because they wanted a version of me to be a Sith. They thought it would help them win the war. That's you."

"A...clone? I'm a clone?"

Jasin nodded grimly. "Yes, you are."

The clone licked his lips. "No. No! I'm a person!"

"Yes, you are. But you are also a clone. A clone of me."

"Of you." He inhaled deeply. "I...I don't want this." He deactivated his lightsaber and threw it to the floor. "I want to be myself. Not you. But not what they wanted me to be, either."

"The dark side doesn't feel good, does it?" Jasin asked sympathetically. "It's fear and anger and hate, and feeling those negative emotions all the time is bad."

The clone nodded vigorously. "Yes. Yes, it feels bad."

"Then you can make a choice. You're a person, not a thing. Make your choice."

"I...don't want the dark side. But I can't be a Jedi, either, because I have too many bad memories of Jedi...even if they're fake. I could never be a Jedi after that."

"I can help with that," a voice said.

Methic entered the antechamber and frowned at the sight of the large Sith Pureblood pointing his lightsaber at the throats of three scientists backed up against a wall. Jaesa reached for her lightsaber, but Methic held out a hand to stop her. The Sith turned.

"Ah, my successor," he rumbled. "I can't let you in there, you know."

Methic frowned as he looked at the two-way mirror on the wall. "Jasin?"

Scourge nodded. "He's in there talking to...a problem."

"The dark presence," Jaesa whispered.

"You felt it too?" Scourge asked.

Jaesa nodded.

"It's a clone of Jasin," Scourge explained. "These scientists were going to make a Sith clone of him and use him in the war. He's speaking to the clone now."

"I have to go in there," Methic said. He glared at the scientists. "And I'll deal with you later. Stay here, Jaesa." The door slid open, and Methic stepped inside.

"...even if they're fake. I could never be a Jedi after that."

"I can help with that," Methic said.

Jasin and his clone turned and looked at Methic in surprise. The clone reached for his lightsaber on the floor with the Force, but Methic put his boot firmly on it. Jasin didn't seem to recognize Methic, who was masked, at first. But when he did a moment later, he sighed in relief.

"It's okay," Jasin said. "He's my brother."

"He's a Sith!"

"Yes, but he's also a light side user. He's secretly sabotaging the dark side Sith from inside."

"You say you can't be a Jedi," said Methic. "But you can't use the dark side either. So, I offer you a chance to join me. Come with me, I will train you to be a Light Sith."

The clone licked his lips in hesitation. Finally, he nodded. "Yes. Yes, I want that."

And then, as if a pressure had been released, the dark side presence in the air disappeared. The clone relaxed, and actually sat down on the floor. Jasin walked over to Methic.

"Thank you," he said. "I didn't want to kill him."

"You're welcome," Methic replied. "He needs a name, of course. And we'll need to modify his appearance in some way."

"Let both of those things be up to him. He needs to make choices on his own, for once."

With that, Jasin turned and left. Methic helped the clone stand and went out into the antechamber. Jasin and Scourge were already gone, and Jaesa was putting force cuffs on each of the scientists.

"Meet the newest member of our crew," Methic said.

"Welcome," Jaesa said with a smile.

"Thank you," the clone replied quietly. "It's nice to be welcomed."

Holy Crap did I get behind!! Here's a huge backlog of commentary.....hope I didn't miss anyone. :o

@Yoshi: I'm liking this new series.....very dark and mysterious for Jasin and Sourge. then GAH!!! I wasn't expecting THAT?!! I nearly choked on my pop! I look forward to seeing how they handle things as they progress. I get the feeling I'm gonna need lots of popcorn. Also, awww, what a lovely bedtime story Kira told their daughter about her father the hero.

@Striges: I really like how you presented that particular SW storyline conversation. I felt for that Moff as well....he really was in an awful position and had legitimate concerns. I like how Varrel handled the situation with him and his reasoning behind it. I also loved how he dealt with Jaesa. I've leveled 1 SW and she was LSish and didn't convert Jaesa. However, my husband leveled his SW DS and converted her......he said she was kind of annoyingly insane after that. I'm interested to see how Varrel ends up dealing with her.

As for the second piece for Juriel, that was such a simple, yet lovely way to perceive Qyzen's beliefs. I've often shook my head at the fact the JC has a companion whose religion values hunting. I never thought to look at it as valuing challenges and success instead. I think I'll look at Qyzen a little differently from now on......thank you!

@Alaurin: kabe's drawing was lovely, what a lovely story to go with it!
That was a wonderful drawing and I'm glad you enjoyed the story it inspired me to write.

@frauzet: I like how Nik and Jorgan are interacting......more of a gradual change from barking orders at the rookie to respect for the soldier. I also liked how Giz handled that situation with Corso.....he needs to learn that while it's good to treat women with respect, he can't let himself be blinded to the fact that they can be just as deadly as men and deserve the same treatment.

@alaurin: Good to see Kat and Tia united. The truth about their cousin must have hit hard. Wondering how they'll deal with it, and how their cousin will react to this news if they tell her. And of course I can't wait to see what happens when Tia and Jorgan meet.

Having admires kabeone's picture I can certainly see, why Felix opts for the moonlit stroll.

Thanks! Glad you liked both pieces. Tia and Kat are in for some interesting, rough times ahead in regards to their family. Tia's meeting with Jorgan is definitely going to leave its mark. I think Felix and Lissa are going to spend more time on the moonlit stroll than the actual party. :)

@TrystanLaryssa:

@Alaurin: First story- Your clan structure is extremely rich and complicated. I had the feeling as soon as Ekaterina confessed her feelings there was going to be a reveal soon about somebody's parentage! Interesting how it all intertwines. The second story was just fun! I liked the smiliar internal dialogue, and the picture of the dress is very cool!
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying what I'm doing with the Cathar culture and you should see my notebook where the family trees are mapped out......it's huge with notes everywhere! As for the Lissa/Iresso story, Kabe's drawing was just so lovely and inspiring that I had to write something to go with it!

@marissalf: Oh, I looooooved that story!! I can't wait to see what happens between those two! And YAY....someone else writing a Gault romance (well, I guess Kat's isn't really a romance yet, they're just shagging a lot)!

@alaurin, Very nice story to accompany the drawing! Love the description of the dress. Even if I hadn’t already seen it, I’d be able to picture it beautifully.

Quote:

“Not going to happen, Balkar,” Tia shook her head, “I don’t date men that want to kidnap me.”

This made me giggle. And I like that there was more to Ekaterina’s betrayal than they even imagined. Definitely a ‘whoa’ moment.

I'm glad I was able to do Kabe's picture justice with my description.....I spent a lot of time on that alone. Yeah, I figured Ekaterina's reveal would surprise a few people.....and it isn't over yet. LOL, Tia's a bit peeved at Balkar and Jorgan over the whole kidnapping thing.....just wait until she deals with the latter.

@sthrift: Again, I really love the action and military insight to your stories as well as your take on Vik. This series has been a real nail-biter the whole way through and I eagerly look forward to the next part!

@DarthSillyMonkey: Well done! Having gone through every class story line, that particular mission was the most emotional for me......and my troopers are female. I can't imagine what that's like for the male character who was intimate with her. You touched on a sensitive, troubling issue that I also had in my mind as well when doing that mission and writing Mallay's take on it later......she was selfish when you think about it. In my mind, people who serve in the military know that there's a very real possibility they will die in the field.....no one wants to, but these brave people face it head on, willing to sacrifice themselves for their country/planet/beliefs. She failed in that capacity and like your troopers, it tainted my image of her.

@Alaurin: That was a nice piece that spoke a lot about Lissa and where she is at now. Interesting to see what the Lauren gals will do with the war being over. Nice description of the gown, too. I could really envision how it looked based on the details.
Thanks! I like how Lissa's character is coming along and while it isn't my favorite romance, the fem JC/Iresso is sweet and has a lot of potential.....hopefully I can do it justice.

@SifaSeven: Oh, family complications can be so much fun and I can't imagine what it would be like for two agents! Throw Kaliyo into the mix and it can quickly get to a duck and cover situation for everyone. I can't wait for the next part!

alaurin: I don't blame Felix's brain for short-circuiting! That dress in Kabe's drawing is GORGEOUS! A moonlit walk would be so romantic and maybe they should make an early exit...as Jorgan makes his very fashionably late entrance. lol
That was a really awesome drawing Kabe did of Lissa and they are definitely going to make an early exit! As for Mallay and Jorgan......who knows when they'll actually make an appearance :rolleyes:.

@Allronix: welcome back! I really enjoyed that insight to the Miraluka in general, into Alylia herself, and into Theran. It was nicely done and I like how each makes the other reconsider their opinions. It will be interesting to see where this goes for them.

@LaxKnight: That was a very nice insight to Gloria's background and how thoughts of her father gave her the confidence, strength, and courage to fight on and even lead them to safety. It will be very interesting to see where this all goes with that original piece.

@alaurin The dislike of formal social events is one I empathize with. You describe the discomfort quite well. That is a nice dress by the way. Hope Felix gets lucky!
The inspiration for that discomfort comes from my husband.....he hates dressing up for formal stuff. I'm the one who hates crowds. As for Felix getting lucky....I'm sure it will be an enjoyable night for them both. :D

@Lesaberisa: Oh, I like this new character......you've developed him well since that initial bit on Tumblr. I like the perspective from the average oridinary person on the ground when Coruscant was attacked. As always, love Ayrs and Malicineve.....even if I'd read them already......reading them again is always fun!

And since Alaurin has inspired me (to point the finger at her for my own crassness!), some minor thread pimping

Why do I get blamed for everything?! :p

@Phyreblade: That was a fun piece for Lusiel and Quinn. He is so much fun to toy with, isn't he?! I love how close she and Vette are as well. Also, the image of 2V in that apron gave me the giggles. The second piece was neat. I like that your BH knew Braden personally before the start of the storyline. I agree.....they do just kind of leave it out there a bit. Braden just picks the BH out of the blue for the Great Hunt.....always figured there should be more to it than that. Oh, well, that's what makes fanfic so much fun!

@Bright: Quite an emotion packed piece. I really sensed the tension, regret, guilt, and resignation there. Forgiveness and moving on are not easy things.......especially for something of that magnitude. Nicely done!

@alaurin, I like that as Tia faces Ekaterina she realizes she can't be the torturer Needles would have been. And then, d'aww, Felix and Lissa! They're adorable, even if they're stuck being visible at the party instead of making with the hanky panky someplace.
Yeah, Tia is a little more vengeful than Kat, but what she went through on Taris haunts her. The thought of becoming someone like Needles was enough to stop her from letting Ekaterina suffer long. Glad you liked Felix and Lissa......and I don't think they stayed at the party any longer than absolutely necessary.

Comments:

@Striges, I dug the piece. Qyzen has high expectations...hard to live up to!

@Lesaberisa, the Ayrs piece was sweet, and the other ones were good too.

@Phyreblade, looks like your SW is a total flirt...but she definitely needs to eat!

@bright_ephemera, I imagine it would be very hard to have a conversation with Quinn after what he did. They'd all be awkward, just like this one. :p

I'm glad people liked Gloria's story. All of your comments are really helpful and insightful. I'll write more about her, maybe even a piece with her father, in the future now comments followed up by a story.

Comments:

I would like to say sorry right now for Lesaberisa and bright_ephemera for not reading your stories Paying the Piper and Boring Conversation Anyway, respectively. Trying not to spoil the stories for myself, especially the Sith Warrior story.

@YoshiRaphElan Jasin’s story here is rapidly reaching a climax, especially with a Sith Warrior on the trail. It’s great how the Dark Presence and he are connected, especially when they realize who they are. The conversation between Jasin and the clone was well thought out. I didn’t realize Methic was Jasin’s brother or that he was lightsided so when I saw Sith Warrior I thought sabers will be drawn and things were about to go down. It was a nice ending(?) to that series.

@SifaSeven I love how relatives meet in places they don’t expect to see each other. It’s also fun watching their friends interact with the family.

“‘Cipher Nine and Three Quarters’ more like it.”
that made me laugh. Love the reference.

@Striges I always found it strange how Qyzen is teamed up with the Counselor giving how his devotion to the Scorekeeper, a religion centered one killing. With your piece I now find a new perspective on him. I’ll look at him differently when I play my Jedi Sage now.

@Lesaberisa The pieces I did read I enjoyed. Worst Day Ever was a good read. The first person perspective works well with Vharmir’s ‘kark this’ attitude. When you said cloudheads I thought you meant politicians. It’s refreshing seeing a normal Republic citizen who doesn’t worship the Jedi or the government. Of course somehow you get involved in the war whether you want to or not. Then your Affection letter was beautifully written. Definitely sappy. I know it says author unknown but I couldn’t help trying to think of which trooper companion could have written it. A great letter.

@Phyreblade Go Quinn! Score for him! I can understand the whole ‘I’m fine’ feeling even though EVERYONE is yelling at you that you are NOT okay. Sometimes other people just know what’s best for you because they got your best interests at heart even though you think you know better. That translates well here. Then I love how your hunter and Braden met. I was always curious as to how he found out about you and what convinced him you were worthy of his support. Good piece.

Here is the story. I read the prompt, thought about it for a day or two, then wrote it up today. Hope you enjoy!

Prompt: Achilles Heel

Title: I Hate Flying

Characters(s): Joanne Kar’ta (Mandalorian Mercenary), Penelope Lonestar (Zeltron Smuggler)

*Index under Joanne Kar'ta*

Word Count: 684

Warning: Some Mandalorian swearing here. Not translated, but there

“I need you to come up here and fly the ship.”

“You sure? You’re a lot better pilot than I am…”

“Do YOU know how to fix a hyperdrive?”

The Mandalorian swore under their breath. “I’m not a very good pilot,” her accent poured through the intercom.

“I thought you Mandos were supposed to be fearless and tough. I need you up here.”

Realizing that she can no longer delay the inevitable, Joanne Kar’ta swore in her native tongue the whole way as she headed to the cockpit. There sitting in the pilot seat was the light pink Zeltron, her long navy blue hair the same color as her vibrant eyes. The most noticeable thing about her besides her sexy hourglass figure was the Corellian Bloodstripe second class represented by the yellow piping going down her black slacks. Joanne trusted this woman, even though she spotted her drinking before they left port.

“Why can’t you just set it on auto pilot?” Joanne asked.

“Because this sector is crawling with Imps so I need a real person to take the wheel in case they decide to pop by for a chat,” the Republic Privateer explained, “Now take the wheel.”

Before the Mandalorian woman can protest Penelope the Zeltron was up and out of the cockpit. “Osik,” Joanne swore before she reluctantly took the seat.

She mumbled gibberish laced with various obscenities as she kept her hands on the controls and eyes on the screens and space in front of her. Though the blue plated mercenary told everyone the reason she didn’t own a ship, even when she had the money to do so, was that she always got to meet interesting new people and go on unexpected adventures when traveling on shuttles or getting rides with others. While this was partially true, the real reason Joanne always bummed a ride across the galaxy was that she hated flying. She knew how and would never admit it but she despised it. Somehow things just don’t go well when she’s at the helm and it terrified her. It was cruel how her dream was to see the galaxy but she had to fly into the cold vacuum of space to do it.

There was a loud beep from one the consoles. Panicking, Joanne immediately swerved the ship into some sort of evasive maneuvers, cussing every second of it like a reciting some bizarre and obscene poetry. It took a good minute or two before she finally registered Penelope’s voice over the intercom. “Are we being attacked? What’s going on up their Joanne?” she asked.

The Mandalorian snapped out of her moment of fear to check the sensors and found that there was nothing within kilometers around them. Her cheeks under her T-slit helmet blush slightly from embarrassment. “Uh…There was a rogue asteroid. Had to evade it. So how is the hyperdrive coming?” she responded being as casual as she can to deflect anymore questions on the incident.

“It’s good to go. Should have been a light and a beep that went off. I’ll be up in a bit,” said the Zeltron before she exited the com.

Joanne mentally berated herself for being so paranoid but quickly regained her composure when the beautiful and busty Penelope entered the cockpit. The Zeltron watched for a moment then asked, “Want to take us into hyperspace?”

“No, no, you can do it. I’ll leave that into the experienced hands of someone paid to fly spacecraft,” Joanne said as she exited the cockpit a little too gingerly.

“Uh-huh,” Penelope replied looking after the Mandalorian not entirely convinced, “Want to stay here and watch?”

“Nah you got it. Actually I’ll go take a rest. Gotta keep up my energy, you know, hunting people down and stuff. Real tiring. Gotta be ready. I’ll be in my bunk if you need me.”

Joanne left like a gust of wind. Penelope watched after her for a moment before shaking her head and sitting back into the wheel of her ship, the light Corellian freighter Pink Fury. Putting in the coordinates, she launched the ship into hyperspace.

Edited by LaxKnight

In a world where evil lurks. In a world where heroes rise. In a world where even a Jawa can be a champion (or at least on a Champion's crew). He was one man, reading stories that others wrote, and with only one way to respond...

COMMENTS

Coming soon to a thread near you... like right now, actually...

@LaxKnight: Gloria Tevens. What a great character with a lot of potential. I especially liked her memory "Keep fighting and the way will eventually be clear". Something you can live your life by. I look forward to seeing more of her.

A BH who can't fly! That's an interesting heel. Gotta make it powerful tough to catch a bounty like that. I want to hear more stories about her, because those have got be some interesting tales indeed!

@Yoshi: Ok, not what I was originally thinking, but very good none the less (and I'm totally stealing the idea I was thinking of). I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Methic will be training his brother... but not his brother. I think it will present some interesting problems, based on his perception.

@SifaSeven: Interesting. I thought your Vector was well done, and I always enjoy seeing things through the companion's eyes. And of course, the way you created some history between Kaliyo and Blade, even though she wound up with Kezz is sure to lead to some great storylines.

@Striges: Excellent piece showing the heart of a true warrior (Qyzen in this case). Life is about overcoming challenges, and overcoming them is something to be proud of. I'm not sure the Scorekeeper is a dig on anything though, just a very primitive hunter deity of a culture that espouse the strongest survive mentality. There are examples of that in very early cultures of our own.

@Lesaberisa: Great story about the effect of the war on people who aren't involved and how someone outside the hero scene might view everything going on.

Ayrs *sinff* you sappy bastage! I love the visual this creates of Elara though. She's stuffy and strict, but you're right. Totally unyielding to her beliefs.

Wow. Malicineve's end, was exactly what you would've expected based on her earlier exploits (That one Safari, for example), but it was damn haunting. The realization that she'd driven all who surrounded her away, or they had died, or she had killed them... it's a lot to swallow for someone like her. I LOVED IT!

@Phyreblade: Hahah! ok, I've done that before. Became so engrossed in a project that I forgot to actually eat something for two days. I think I subsisted off chocolate milk in the mornings before I started and lots of water during the day. It wasn't that I wasn't hungry, just that I was so indisposed, that by the time I realized I hadn't eaten, it was too late to do so. That's a great character quirk, especially for a Juggy, who really does need the calories! And Vette doing the good natured nagging, love it!

@Bright: I have always loved the interaction you create between Ruth and Quinn. What happens in the SW storyline is so impactful, it's hard to let go of. It's always there, in the back of your mind. I can see why Ruth has a hard time letting go, even if she really wants to. Once again you do a damn fine job of conveying the feelings of that night and how they turn, and the tension, and... well, I'm hoping someday I can do that as well as you do. Great job!

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

Well that was annoying...I took too long to post the reply I had been typing and lost all of the comments and replies and everything. So...apologies if they appear briefer than usual, I am kind of annoyed and don't feel like retyping everything fully.

Replies

@Bright - the term used in game for non-cloudheads is turfer but I didn't really like it - it didn't feel quite appropriate for a place like Coruscant, which is a planetary metropolis...it felt like it made more sense for a place like Balmorra or somewhere closer to actual turf. I also didn't feel someone like Vharmir would have as much of a connection to Coruscant, so he probably wouuldn't consider himself as part of the 'us' of turfers; he's more just anti-them.

@LaxKnight. Sorry for the confusion :( I forgot to introduce it properly Those are Ayrs' notes/intended vows for his and Elara's wedding ceremony. They're discovered by [random passerby], though I haven't decided if he (1) was being a doofus and forgot them, (2) felt confident enough in his memorization or (3) decided he'd rather speak from the heart. My head says #1, my heart says #3 ;).

Comments

@Striges - really liked the piece about Qyzen, who's my favorite of the Consular companions. The Scorekeeper religion/belief system really did put me off for awhile, though, for many of the same reasons that Jurial articulates. I don't think my consular would ever be completely on board with it, but I did like how the story distinguishes Qyzen's interpretation/actions with some of the other Trandoshans'.

@Phyreblade - Really liked the lighter touches at the start of your Sith Warrior story, including the apron(!) on the droid, and Vette's appropriately playful banter, and how it led into the more serious side of things with Quinn showing a side of himself that he doesn't do much of in game. I also really liked your BH story - I'm a really big fan of the BH having more of a history with Braden/bounty hunting in general than the in-game story hints at....I think it gives greater impact to a lot of stuff in Act I.

@Yoshi - really like your class-crossovers and this one is no exception. Without spoiling anything, your story reminded me of another game, and the issues that finding you' have a clone that has been under the control of a distinctly evil group, and I like the optimstic tone this story takes. Go go Clone!Jasin.

@Bright - the emotional chasm between Quinn and Ruth is painful to read...it's a lot like the arguments we have in real life where we don't even want to be fighting, really, but the recriminations and old grievances and everything else keep the arguments going until we can't say what we actually want to. Sometimes we get a chance to remedy that, and sometimes we don't, but it's almost always painfu.

@LaxKnight - Lonestar = Spaceballs reference? I hope! I like the characte dynamics between the two, and I especially like Joanne's attempts to hide her real fears/emotions/reasoning behind a lie. I have also decided that if I ever get a boat of my own, Pink Fury will be among the most likely names for it.

Now, two tumblr stories

Character: Amitia (JK)

Prompt: Hidden Talents

Notes: A recording from her diary as a young girl. No game spoilers

Dear Diary,

I got in trouble at school today. Mrs. Rhyns wasn’t paying attention at recess and some of the other kids climbed over the fence and ran to play under the tram rails. I told her what they did, but she just laughed and said that it was okay because they would be back by the time recess was over.

But Mama always said not to play there because there were strangers there, so it wasn’t safe for the kids. I climbed over where the other kids had and followed them so I could tell them to come back. I found them but there was an angry man holding a knife at them. I was scared, but the kids were even more scared and I knew I had to help them.

People think I’m weird when I tell them I can feel things and see into the future but I don’t think it’s weird. Like I can tell what people are going to do before they even do them! But they’re wrong because I can, and I was watching a holovid once and I think I can feel the Force. Anyway, I could tell what the mean man wanted to do with his knife – he was going to hurt people and I wasn’t going to let him.

I found a metal rod lying on the ground, probably from the construction. Papa always says “those construction workers always leave things lying around”, I think because there’s all that stuff lying around. Anyway, I picked it up so I could protect everyone. He didn’t hear me coming, so I poked him on the back of the leg with it like this …

[sound of object being jabbed into the wall]

…oops, I didn’t mean to poke it that hard, that’s just how hard I poked him. Anyway, I poked him and then I said “Go away, leave them alone.” And I said it with a really impressive voice, like Zeena Jedi Warrior Princess does. Then I said “Go away now or I will have to fight you.”

The mean man just laughed and he came after me, but I was always ahead of him. He tried to stab at me so many times, but I dodged him every time. Finally, he got really mad and said “Why can’t you hold still?” I said “If I hold still then you will hit me and I don’t want you to hit me.”

Then he called me a name that I didn’t recognize and when I asked Mama about it, she said not to say it again so I won’t. Anyway, I could feel the energy in me so I hit him hard on the arm and made him drop his knife, then I hit him in the face a couple of times and he started running away.

[giggling noises]

Before he ran away I hit him on the butt too, because it’s funny.

Anyway, then I told all the kids we should go back and they were all looking at me like I was really weird. I think they all thought I was weird too, except for Jory cause Jory said I was even more awesome than Zeena and that he was in love with me but Jory also eats crayons so I dunno.

We went back to school and I told Mrs. Rhyns what happened and she sent me to the principal’s office like I was in trouble or something. I sat there forever until Principal Sy’ril came and said we needed to talk.

“What you did was very brave but also very dangerous. You can’t keep doing that, Amitia” he said. “You aren’t a super hero.”

I shook my head and told him I could feel the Force but he just laughed and said he had picked the wrong time to quit sniffing glue. I don’t know why he would sniff glue cause it smells weird but I said okay and then the rest of the day was normal.

[voice changes to a conspiratorial whisper]

He’s wrong though, diary. I’m gonna be a Jedi Knight when I grow up because I can feel the Force. And I want to help people and Jedi help people. You just see.

[sounds of yelling from outside the room]

Mama is wondering why there is a hole in Samir’s wall, I better go. Bye bye Diary. I will see you on Tython someday unless I get grounded

Character: Veresia (Inquisitor)

Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares

Notes: Minor Act II plot spoilers, references to Act I (Nar Shaddaa and a bit of Korriban). Veresia is my trooper's sister and a bit of a thematic and general foil for Malicineve, my warrior,.

They came to me every night, regardless of what I had done or even contemplated that day. Grasping hands, attempting to drag me down with them, accusatory words that slowly eroded the armor I girded myself in, and terrible images I would never have wanted to relive. Once, they had just been the people I had lost, the ones I had failed at some point along the way. Now, the guilty stood as one with the innocent. They turned my dreams into the never-ending nightmare, the eternal darkness with nary a hint of light. I tried to deny them their satisfaction, tried to remind myself that my course was as righteous as it was torturous, but it did little good.

It had not always been this way. It was not supposed to be this way.

This path was never meant for me, and not simply because my father had intended otherwise. I had been afforded a tremendous gift, and with that gift came great responsibilities, even at a young age. I had learned this, understood it, accepted it. When my father had first broached the subject of leaving Ithaca for further training, I had denied any interest, but I had begun to change my mind. And then…

And then I was no longer finding my own path; the man with the gray hair and the cruel laugh was choosing it for me. I was not to be a Jedi or a hero or even simply a woman finding her own way through life as she would. “The Force guides us in mysterious ways,” my father had always said to me . I had always ignored him then; I could no longer afford to do so.

In the camps I had discovered a new purpose for my life. I might not ever be the virtuous Jedi I had planned on being, but I could be something more. Darker, yes, but powered by a vigorous desire for vengeance and justice for those that had fallen. Ithaca’s dead cried out for someone to take up the mantle of their cause, and they needed someone not constrained by the ways of the Jedi to do it. I could be that person, their talisman, their voice taken form, however violent.

For a while, that had seemed a simple enough proposition. I had purified the galaxy of many cancers during my travels – from the lowly bullies like Ffon Althe to the greater threats like Paladius and his cult. My cult, now. I had done more than any dutiful Jedi could have done, struck more blows for those that could not wield the weapons to do so. For so long, I had known nothing but a constant stream of sweet victories, each more delightful than the previous; even my personal Sith monster could barely avoid expressing pride in our work.

He did not experience everything I did, though.

I had done my best to focus every emotion that flowed within me to do good, but that was the same as doing one’s best to direct a raging river with one’s bare hands. There had been…unfortunate…and unintended consequences at every step, and I could feel the ground eroding beneath me with every step.

And now they expect you to let the spirits of Sith within you.

I could barely remember the last time I enjoyed a dreamless sleep, without the screams and agonized wails and everything else that reminded me that I was not the hero I had wanted to be. Not with the blood staining my hands, not with the darkness that I had allowed to taint my mission from the very beginning. I was not innocent in this corruption – my eyes had been wide open, my spirit more than willing. No one was more responsible for destroying any illusions of heroism than I was.

You are not a villain, though. Not a monster. Not yet. Not as long as you refuse to let yourself fall.

Not a hero, then, but not a villain. Not a Jedi, but also not a Sith. Someone capable of love but also great hate. Wanting little more than to be with those I cared for but spending my time with Khem Val. My emotions were a vortex that threatened to pull me under the surface and drown me.

What was I, then?

I could not say, and that frightened me most of all

Character: Olympia (Consular)

Prompt: To Market, to Market

Notes: I don't write much for her so I felt bad. No game spoilers, just some snark.

It was a dark and stormy night on Quesh, and my already dark mood was not helped by the fact that it had taken several hours to fully cleanse the smell of chemicals and recycled adrenals from my hair and body, to say nothing of my robes. Tharan’s repeated complaining about being forced to take part in combat despite being a pacifist was getting old.

Very old. Very fast.

I sighed softly and slipped my feet into their fuzzy, nexu-shaped, slippers. The sound of arguing from the kitchen slipped into the room through the space under the door; no doubt Qyzen was having his philosophy challenged by Tharan again. Luckily, the Trandoshan knew how to restrain himself in those trying times. So I hoped, at least – I had wasted what little patience I had dealing with that damned fool, Hay’de.

With little patience for the bickering, I activated the vidscreen and began browsing through my options.

I found myself on the Galactic Shopping Network, sponsored by the Hutt Cartel Market, as I was wont to do. Not that I spent too much time watching it – nothing like that. There are just so many interesting items to buy. The host – an impossibly perfect-looking Zeltron wearing a dyed version of the previous season’s slave girl outfit – began demonstrating the newest merchandise. Based on the advertisement playing for tomorrow’s sale, the Zeltron would be replaced by a Togruta based on popular demand.

Most of the merchandise on display was not all that interesting – simply slightly altered versions of existing merchandise that I had wisely decided not to purchase. I felt a slight stirring at the sight of an authentic replica of Zayne Carrick’s armor, but managed to restrain myself after a few minutes of meditation. Fortunately, the recolored and reskinned armor – to say nothing of the oddly skimpy items – was enough to temper my interest in buying anything.

Then came the moment, the one that haunted every session of watching the GSN, when the host would unveil the newest gadgets and novelty items. I took a deep breath and began cycling through the various relaxation techniques I had learned. That helped me survive the segment on mounts, despite the Zeltron’s best efforts to frame the sleek lines of the Corellian Stardrive Flash with her extensive cleavage.

As if recognizing her efforts were failing, she then winked and removed a remote control from what must have been the most invisible pocket ever, given what she was wearing. She tapped a few of the keys, and a small droid marched into a view. A companion-sized Mini Mogul OR-1.

Oh no.

I could feel my hand reaching for the card for my expense account. Nothing would stop it. Not the Force. Not the desperate flailing of my other hand. Not the sinking feeling of despair upon checking my balance with the Cartel Market. Not even the Force could help me stand against that kind of temptation.

I lost my only 'draft' of a smuggler story so that will appear when I return from lurking in this topic, when I also update my BH's backstory (just for you DSM ;)), sometime in 2015.

Edited by Lesaberisa

Title: Family Complications, Part III ("A Lesson in Chiss Culture")

Prompts: Family. Oh Well That's Awkward, First Impressions

Characters: Ke'zz'aril (IA), Kymma (IA), Vector, Kaliyo, Lokin

Setting: Phantom X-70

Timeframe: During the Alderaan Bonus series (~lvl 40)

99% in Vector's POV, except for the last line. Spoilers for IA storyline, Acts I and II.

The prognosis was better than Vector expected. After a stint in a kolto tank, Kezz lay in the med bay cot. His color was back to normal, but he was still unconscious. Cipher Ten sat at his bedside with her hand on his right arm. It seemed that she needed that touch to reassure her.

Vector thought, How long has it been since she'd seen him? They are both agents...probably years, at the very least.

"It's been five years since I saw him last. He looks different. Older."

Vector started and glanced at her. Kezz also had the strange talent of picking up stray thoughts. Did it run in his family or was it a learned skill? They were both agents, after all.

"He's been through a lot," Lokin remarked quietly. Of course, that was an understatement, after what had happened with the SIS. "It took a toll on him, but the Agent rarely complains or shows any distress. I understand Chiss aren't demonstrative as a rule."

"No, but if you've met one of them, Doctor, you've met one of them. His sister Xa'lila can be quite volatile, if you catch her on the wrong day." Her tone was equally wry and ironic.

"He has another sister?"

"Yes, a twin, but she's not in Intelligence."

Lokin nodded at this scrap of information before changing the subject. "The agent was lucky to get away with only a few cracked ribs, a concussion and a dislocated shoulder. He'll be up and around in three or four days. In the meantime, I'll watch his condition carefully, but there should be no further cause for alarm. It seems that hardiness is a family trait."

Kaliyo leaned back against the far wall, arms crossed and an annoyed expression on her face. "He means stubbornness. Doesn't surprise me a bit, now."

Cipher Ten glanced over her shoulder, her head tilted in an unspoken challenge. Vector thought he felt the temperature in the med bay plunge several degrees. Sparks flew between the two women; the Cipher's deep plum aura clashed with Kaliyo's chaotic rainbow. Their antagonism tasted bitter on his tongue.

"This does not look good," Lokin murmured.

"No," Vector agreed softly. What happened between the two of them on Hutta? Whatever it was, Kaliyo certainly did not endear herself.

Kaliyo smirked, "You still haven't answered my question, Cipher."

"Which one? You know I can't answer most of them, Kaliyo, even if you spike my Hutt tequila with adrenals."

"Hey, you weren't the only one who spent a week recovering from that. As I recall, it was you who ended up dancing on the bar wearing a slave girl's outfit. It fried the brain of every man there...probably would've done the same to yours too, BugBoy, if you'd been there."

Vector coughed. He refused to even entertain the very thought...he sternly reminded himself this was not only an Imperial Intelligence agent, but Kezz's sister as well, and Kezz had knives.

Kaliyo gave Vector a wicked grin. Cipher Ten didn't seem fazed, but her cheeks did turn a slight shade of pink. "C'mon, I'm being serious right now. Either your family tree is majorly messed up, or a pair of Chiss babies ended up on your parents' doorstep one day."

Lokin kept his eyes on Kaliyo even as he said, "I must admit to a certain amount of curiosity myself."

Cipher Ten nodded and gave Vector a sideways glance. Now that he saw her up close, he understood why Kaliyo had mistaken them for siblings. They shared the same dark hair and general coloring, though he stood a good handspan taller than she did. Her intense gaze showed great intelligence. Her aura considerably lightened to an amethyst hue as she regarded him.Vector found it disturbing how easily he could interpret her moods after knowing her for less than two days.

"What do you know about merit adoption, Master Hyllus?"

He inclined his head and said, "If we correctly understand what the agent has told us, there are a certain number of Ruling Families in the Chiss Ascendency. It is possible to become 'adopted' into one of them, if he or she is deemed worthy to join. It takes an extraordinary act of courage and loyalty to earn a place."

"Wait...that Chiss guy on Hoth...didn't he decide to make Kezz an honorary member of his clan?"

"Yes, Kaliyo. Aristocra Saganu of House Miurani," Vector remarked. "He was rather impressed by the agent's handling of the situation there."

Cipher Ten nodded again. "In our case, it was something similar. My older sister and Kezz's sister went to Korriban at the same time. They became allies during their time there. Now, I don't know all the details, but after their Trials, Sionae asked my father if he could 'adopt' Kezz and his sister into our family, following the Chiss tradition."

"So...it's an adoption thing. Why didn't you just say that?"

"I just did. My father deals with different languages and cultures; he's a scholar who searches for lost and forgotten lore.He wants to understand others." She gave Vector another sideways look. "You'd get along with him, Master Hyllus."

Vector wasn't sure how to respond to that. Aloud, he said, "Perhaps we would."

Kaliyo chuckled and murmured, "No, you wouldn't. Trust me, the stories I could tell..."

Cipher Ten raised her eyebrows, but a weak voice from the bed interrupted her. "Kaliyo, for Aristocra's sake, shut up. I'm trying to sleep."

Kaliyo smirked. " Welcome back to the world of the living, Agent. Your sister saved your skin from an angry Killik."

"Kymma? How did you get here? How did you know we were in trouble?" Kezz was still having trouble keeping his eyes open. "I didn't know you were on Alderaan-?"

"House Thul asked me to help with a Killik problem. I had no idea they'd roped you into doing the same thing. I heard the commotion, saw you were in trouble and helped out a bit. Then I met your crew." She gave Kailyo a rather pointed look.

Doctor Lokin sighed and said, "I really hate to interrupt your family reunion, but the agent does need his rest. You can catch up on other news later."

"Of course. Get some sleep, Ezzar. We'll talk soon." Cipher Ten smiled and squeezed her brother's arm. She stood up and nodded at Doctor Lokin. "I'll be back, but right now I need to talk to Lord Thul."

"Perhaps we could be of assistance, Cipher." Vector had almost called her by name, Kymma, but caught himself just in time.

"You're welcome to join me, Master Hyllus. Your expertise would be a great help. Thank you."

Of course, Vector missed the knowing look that passed between Kaliyo and Doctor Lokin.

Notes:

When a Chiss character speaks with Aristocra Saganu at the end of Hoth, Saganu tells the agent that he/she is now part of his house, House Miurani. The info on merit adoption is in Wookiepedia.

Kaliyo mentions a party she went to at Fa'athra's palace once (Act I, Hutta). She says that she 'was so high on adrenals I was coming down for a week'. No details mentioned, but yeah, Kymma had been there too. If there's enough interest, I might tell this tale. :p:rak_01:

First, a few comments...

@Lesaberisa: Lil'Amitia was awesome! You really captured the little kid vibe with her rambling about what her mom said and what her dad said, etc. Then, there was the very awesome references (Stewardess: *gasp* A hospital? What is it doctor?, Doctor: It's a big buidling with a lot of windows that has patients, but that's not important right now. HA!) I absolutely loved it.

And then in complete contrast to Amitia's heroism, you have Veresia, struggling to hold on to her sense of right and wrong, possibly her sanity... and she just hit the part of the Inqui story where it gets worse. I love the introspective view, and the last line was very poignant.

Hahah! I have a friend who is just like Olympia. New outfits? Nah. New mounts? ehhh..... Nah. New pets? *SLAP* TAKE MY MONEY, DAMN YOU!! I loved the annoyance with Tharan, and the blase for the "new" cartel items, but the last paragraph killed me.

And I have to wait until 2015 for more Amurri?! Say it ain't so! *cries*

@SifaSeven: Nice use of that piece of obscure info regarding Kaliyo! I love it when people can work in stuff that seems trivial and make it a point in their character's lives. I also liked how you worked her into a Chiss family in a documented, very believable way. The way she acts towards him, they must have a tight history.

Ok, so what's been happening since Fenn'rys took the thing from the place with the stuff? Enquiring minds want to know! ... those same minds want to know about Adele's romance with the Bat-Boy though, so I'm going to share with you guys instead.

Prompt: Discovery / Sacrifice

Class: Jedi Consular (Shira'Kian)

Title: What Lies Beneath, pt.4

Words: 2,950'ish

Timeframe: After this and this

Spoilers: Some mentions of the Jedi starting area and quest areas on Tython

Mando Translations - (Vod'ika - Little Brother)

"Your brother and sister approach, so I leave you with this, Shira'Kian." Kayness turned his gaze from her mother, and onto her."If you choose to stay, conflict will come to this family. Just as I have come, so will the Sith, and they will not be as civil. You risk the life of your loved ones if you choose to heed your parents. Your mother has battled the Sith in the past. She is well aware that, whatever Republic Security Forces your father manages to secure, they will not be enough."

"And if I go? What then?"

"They will ignore your family, knowing that you are with the Jedi. Like us, they do not have the numbers to spend time on a fruitless venture. We will continue your training, and you will become one of the Shadow, like your mother."

"Like she was, you mean. She told you, she is no longer a... Shadow, whatever that is." Shira walked over to stand in front of her mother.

Kayness turned his gaze back to her mother. "I'll leave you to talk this though. Make sure you ask your mother about the vows, Shira'Kian. That should satisfy your curiosity. I will return in one week for your answer."

Shira's eyes sprang open as her meditations came to an abrupt end. She was breathing as heavy as she had been in the vision… no, not vision. Memory.

She sat in the meditation alcove and pondered on it a few moments more.

Why would that particular memory come forward now? Is the Force trying to warn me of something? Maybe give me guidance? Guidance on what, though?

She rose and walked to the cockpit of the ship.

The search for the Agent had been fruitless. There had been no sign of her ship in any of the ports they had looked into, and none of the Imperial communication feeds they had hacked offered any clues as to her whereabouts. After three days of searching, she had felt it would be better to report the incident to the council… and to the Circle of Five.

As she entered, the cockpit, Lt. Felix Iresso greeted her. “Good morning, Jedi. Didn’t expect you to be up this – hey, everything all right?”

She looked up. Of her crew, Felix had been with her for the least amount of time, but she had taken a liking to him. He reminded her, somewhat, of her vod’ika. As such, they had become fast friends.

“No, I’m fine Felix.” She smiled, “Just lost in thought. What’s our ETA?”

He didn’t look thoroughly convinced, but he turned to consult the ship's readouts. “We’ll be arriving on Tython in about two hours. Can’t say I’ve ever been there before. Looking forward to seeing how much Jedi training differs from the Academy.”

“The planet is actually quite beautiful. No industry, minimal population, so there’s no pollution. It’s primitive by Coruscant standards, but I’ve always enjoyed it. Reminds me a bit of where I grew up… minus the killer robots and Flesh eaters around every turn, of course.”

The trooper laughed, “Sounds like a nice place. Maybe I’ll do some fishing while we're here... I’m not going to catch some weird fish species that will melt my face off with lightning, am I?”

“No, Felix.” Shira grinned, “I think you’ll be safe from those. However, I’m going to need you to do something for me.”

“Sure. What did you have in mind?”

“I’ll need you to keep an eye on Tharan while I deal with my business here. The last thing some of these newer padawans need is the ‘Casanova of Science’ causing them to stray from their training.”

The Trooper chuckled, “No problem, Jedi. Although, I have to admit, I find it pret-ty entertaining watching him get shot down. I’ll see if I can’t get Holiday to back me up somehow.”

“This is disconcerting news. The being inside has obviously been driven insane from isolation. How exactly did this ‘Agent’ manage to get it out without you noticing?”

Shira stood in the circular end of a key, which had been cut into a large, round table. Sitting at that table and surrounding her were five Jedi Grand Masters, all part of the Intelligence arm of the Jedi known only as the 'Shadow'. Currently, she was addressing the Devaronian Master, C'mmonz.

“I was engaged in combat with a Czerka assassin by the name of Leksende. She probably took advantage of the distraction and removed the obelisk then. Tharan believes anti-gravity clamps were used to facilitate a smoother transport. He doesn’t think the droid, known as SCORPIO, had enough strength to lift and move it easily.”

“This droid,” a blue skinned female Twi'lek with facial markings addressed her, “even Tharan Cedrax has no idea the make or model? The origins?”

“No, Master Frehl'yi. His assessment is that the technology is beyond even himself, as well as the Sith, at this point. He was also very concerned about its fascination with Holiday, as SCORPIO immediately recognized her as a sentient AI.”

“Hmm, we will need to do some research on this matter before we can act on it.” Master Criss, a Cathar female, drummed her fingers on the table.

"It seems like the wisest course of action at this time." Master S'tanlee, a male Keshiri, turned to a human female, the final Grand Master at the table.

“Agreed.” Master Satele Shan stood and addressed the room, “The Circle of Five will reconvene in one week to discuss our findings. Master Shira’Kian, we will contact you by holo-communication, so you can continue your search for this weapon. Also, if you would stay after everyone leaves, please. I would talk with you.”

The group rose and bowed, then excused themselves through the chamber doors. She stood to the side until Master Shan bade her to sit.

“Shira, something is troubling you. Something you didn’t reveal to the Circle. It worries them when you do that, you know.”

“I know, and I apologize.”

Master Shan smiled, “I have faith in you, Shira. The others do as well, but keeping secrets from an organization designed to unearth them breeds doubt. Now, what haven’t you told us?”

Shira hesitated for a moment. “This Agent… she knew who I was. She knew my family; that I was considered by most to be dead. Possibly more. I’m not sure if she knew about the Shadow. I didn’t want to bring it up until I was able to investigate.”

“I see. I believe that was the wisest choice. This Rakata weapon will be enough for the Circle to deal with. Having the edges of their focus nipped at by speculation wouldn't have helped anyone. However, I want to be kept apprised of anything you come across.”

"Yes, Master. Currently, I have asked Tharan to identify the obelisk's unique radiation signature. When he has that, we'll start searching for matches. I'll alert you if he finds anything."

"Good... Shira, I am going to ask that you stay here, on Tython, for a few days. I sense large, but subtle, shifts in the force surrounding you. I'd like you to take some time to meditate on them."

"Of course, Master Shan. I'll set some ground rules for the crew, so they won't interrupt the Padawan's training."

"Yes, I remember the last time Prof. Cedrax was allowed to roam freely." Master Shan rubbed her temples, "Let's avoid that again, if possible."

"What did he mean? What vow?"

Her mother looked at her with sad eyes, "Shira, I'm sorry. So, so sorry. I tried to keep you from having to make this decision. I thought we could avoid it until you were midway through your seventeenth year..."

"Mom, what is the vow?"

Her mother hesitated, then relented. "When a padawan is taken into the ranks of the Shadow, they must take a vow. It is repeated upon becoming a Jedi. It is your oath to eschew your former life in the light, and start anew in the Shadow. There is a part of the vow that goes 'Even if I should step into the light again, I know I will always cast a Shadow...'. It means that once you become a Shadow, you can never leave that life behind."

Shira saw her mother's face, felt her emotional burden through the force. The meaning of those words began to dawn on her.

Her mother hugged her tightly, "Don't worry, Shira. No one will take you from us. Your father still has influence on Coruscant. We can--"

"Mom... was what Kayness said, true? Will Bro and Kiera be in danger because of me? Will the Sith come?"

"Your father and I can handle any danger that comes our way, honey. We'll request aid from your grandfath--"

"MOM! Will the Sith come or not?!"

Her mother released her, and held her at arm's length, hands resting on her shoulders. There were tears in her eyes as she took a deep breath. Then a look crossed her mother's face, one her father wore whenever Bro asked questions about his time in the war. It was a look of horrible determination, remembrance of a time filled with pain and struggle.

"Yes, Shira... they will come. Everything Kayness said is true. Chances are, they will come and they will assault this land en masse. They will kill your brother for being weak in the force. They will take your sister as a slave, break her will, and use her for whatever they see fit. They will torture your father and I for information until we're dead, if we don't die fighting first. Your potential in the force is such that the Emperor would send his best... and his worst."

Shira looked at her mother, horrifying visions passing through her mind of watching her family die horribly. Watching her vod'ika struck down before her eyes, powerless to stop it.

"I... I have to go, then."

She snapped out of her meditations to the sound of an angry roar. Roughly twenty feet away from her, a female Horranth paced back and forth.

Shira had decided to spend her days on Tython walking the paths of her training, and had arrived at a pond, fed by a waterfall. In her days as a padawan, she would meditate here often.

It was also a gathering place for the Uxibeast, and a breeding ground for the Horranth. She believed she had put enough distance between the breeding grounds and herself, but the female Horranth thought differently.

"Easy, girl. I mean you no harm." She slowly stood, projecting waves of calm, "There's no need to fight. I'm walking away now."

The Horranth snarled, then closed the distance by ten feet and started pacing again.

"Very well then. How about this?" Shira gathered herself up to her full stature and roared, projecting a wave of Intimidation and strength. The Horranth stopped pacing and growled again, but quieter this time, as it began to back away.

She walked in the opposite direction, leaving the pond. "I'm sorry to have disturbed you, Mother. Go back and tend to your eggs now."

As she was about to reach the main road, a voice called out to her, "You have a way with animals, Jedi. I'm quite impressed. I thought you were going to have to kill it."

Tharan leaned against a tall tree, Holiday standing next to him with her hands behind her back.

"She would have been fine, darling. I was ready to distract it so she could get away without hurting the beast." She smiled at Shira, "I know how you hate to kill things for no reason, Master Jedi."

"Thank you, Holiday. I appreciate your concern. Did you need something, Tharan?"

"Yes, actually. It's about the artifact. I was able to pinpoint the exact radiation frequency emanating from the obelisk. I then created an algorithm that will filter out all other forms of similar radiation in an area, to hasten our search. Holiday is ready to apply it, with your permission of course."

"Please do, Holiday. What's our range?"

"Oh, I can boost the signal wave, so we can search this entire quadrant from here, Master Jedi", the hologram proudly stated. "I'll be right back!"

Holiday disappeared, and Shira smiled at the scientist. "That was quicker than anticipated, Tharan. As always, you impress me."

"Of course I do, Jedi", Tharan said, as though it were common knowledge. "I am a genius after all."

"As if I could forget." Shira rolled her eyes, "Where's Felix?"

"I'm not sure. He tried to follow me, but I felt like taking in the sights alone... so I lost him. Really, you'd think Lt. Iresso would be better at this game, being a Trooper and all."

"Tharan," Shira started massaging her temples, "exactly how many 'sights' did you see on the way here?"

"None, actually", the scientist sighed dejectedly. "Every time I stopped to inquire of one of the many padawan, Holiday would appear, drape herself on me, and then administer a small shock to my lumbar." He rubbed his lower back. "It was quite distracting."

Shira laughed, "I see. Perhaps Felix isn't as bad at this game as you think. Come, I'll show you around the area. There are some ruins nearby I think you might find interesting."

Her travels today focused on the long trek to the Forge -- a trek made much easier now that she owned a speeder -- and she stood in front of the steps that had lead to her final trial as a padawan. Master Par had left her training mostly to the guidance of the Force. It was a tactic Shira had suspected the elder Master used on purpose, to allow for a more natural discovery of one's self.

Master Yuon Par presented herself as distracted by her other pursuits, but Shira came to realize that Master Par had always subtly guided her to the knowledge, and allowed Shira to discover it on her own. It had led her to the Forge, where she constructed her first lightsaber... a lightsaber she had kept, even after her training had been turned over to the Shadow.

She walked to the top of the steps, knelt down, and inhaled deeply...

"I... I have to go then."

Her mother's face softened, "Shira, do not make this decision lightly. There are things we can do to protect the family. No one will take you against your will, you have my promise."

She smiled sadly at her mother, "But you can't guarantee you'll all survive. I can. I have to go."

There was noise outside as her siblings came running up to the porch. Shira went outside to meet them. Their mother followed, wiping her tears.

"*huff... huff... huff* Geez, Shira! *huff* you coulda *huff* waited for *huff* us!" Kiera fell onto the porch, lying on her back, trying to catch her breath.

"Is Mom *huff* ok *huff*?" Bro asked, bent over, hands on his knees trying to do the same.

"She's fine, vod'ika. See?" Shira smiled at him.

Her mother smiled, "Everything's fine, you two. I was having a very bad dream, and Shira sensed it. That's why she left you so far behind. She was worried about me."

Bro looked up, "What *huff* was it about *huff*, mom?"

"Oh, it was a terrible dream. You all vanished, and I couldn't find you."

"Ha!" Kiera laughed, "As if *huff* you'll ever get rid of us THAT easy! You guys *huff* pay all our bills!" She winked at her mother.

Bro stood up to his full height, just a foot or so shorter than Shira. "Don't worry Mom. Kiera's always with me, and no matter where Shira'Vod goes, I'll ALWAYS find her! I guarantee it!"

"I'm sure that's true, Vod'ika", Shira struggled to hold back tears as she hugged her brother close and kissed the top of his head, "... I'm sure that's true."

As her eyes shot open, real tears flew. The realization hit her like a charging Reek.

Vod'ika... I'm not the one in danger! Bro'Kian is! The obelisk! The obelisk is a trap! One he won't survive!

She jumped up and started quickly down the stairs, while putting in her earpiece. She leapt onto her speeder and tapped her comm to life.

"Felix! Find Tharan, and prep the ship for takeoff! We have to get out of here!"

"Wow, that's great timing! You have a call coming in from a 'Master Shan'."

"Ignore it. I need you to do what I asked, and hurry. Lock onto my com and come get me!"

Iresso sounded confused, "Uuuh, ok? We were already prepped and waiting, Tharan's on board, but what do you want me to do about the tower? They're requesting we power down... is everything ok?"

"I'll explain later. Launch now, before any Sentinels arrive. They won't shoot you down, too much chance of collateral damage to the padawan, but they will forcibly board you."

"Roger that, we're on our way!"

She began to focus on hiding her presence in the force. It wasn't hard blending into the background, Tython being as force-rich as it was.

The Circle knew. They felt the pain the loss of her vod'ika brought with her realization, and they knew. They would want to stop her, send a replacement... if they felt the need to. What was the life of one soldier, compared to secrets of the Shadow? After all, there was no death; there was only the force.

Maybe so, but so long as I can protect him... for my vod'ika, there will be only life!

Notes:

Ok, so you may have noticed that there seems to be some secret society action going on within the Jedi order in this story. In the Drokk-verse, The Shadow isn't just a class, it's an organization within the Order. More will be revealed in a later story.

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

Realized with relief that I dropped some comments in not that many pages back :)

Some more comments:

@Lesaberisa: Great introduction of Vharmir.

Ayrs notes made me smile again, so cute.

Like Malicineve's piece very much.

For the first time in my life, I was afraid. Not of physical harm or death, though. Of having my entire existence be utterly meaningless.
That one is very hard to fight on your own.

The description of the noises in the diary recording are great.

Veresia sounds really lost here (understandably).

I really like how you manage to express emotions.

Oh the droids, guess what Thorns bought yesterday

@Phyreblade: I always approve of throwing Quinn off balance.

Very much liked the meeting between Braden and Kas. Can see why he instantly liked her.

@YoshiRaphElan: I, too, hadn't expected that.

@bright_ephemera: I like the conversation between Ruth and Quinn. Feels like an wound that breaks open every time you fiddle with it, and yet you can't simply stay away from it.

@LaxKnight: The reaction to the beeping console and then not admitting it was great.

@SifaSeven: Here, here, I am interested in the story about Kaliyo and Kymma.

And in Vector romance...

@DarthSillyMonkey: I think this shadow organization is very reasonable. Dividing responsibilities between various organizations makes sense. The Council can't handle everything. I like the various visions/memories Shira has until she realizes what the Force tries to tell her.

Prompt - Achilles' Heel

Title - Destiny is a Cruel Master - Part I

Class - SI (Rufuro) + SW (Ciner)

Words - About 1410

Spoilers - Spoilers for SI Korriban

Takes place after 'The Red Machine'

Since they had retrieved the tablet from the Red Machine Ciner had met with Rufuro secretly every evening after regular training hours. They had found an unused hall on one of the Academy’s lower levels. It was accessible through a hallway that connected to a maze of passages. The many different routes to the hall allowed for sneaking down here without being detected. Ciner had been waiting for fifteen minutes now. Something was wrong. He hadn’t seen Rufuro in the refectory. He had assumed that the inquisitor had already left, for Ciner had been late himself. Now he doubted that he had been there at all.

As usual the Academy was buzzing with the Force. One of the advantages of their meeting place. Two more Force users didn’t attract attention. As long as they didn’t attempt any larger Force ritual it was very unlikely somebody became aware of them. The fact proved to be obstructive now. Try as he might, Ciner was unable to tell if Rufuro was anywhere near. If the inquisitor was hiding his presence in the Force, he wouldn’t be able to detect him in this commotion even if he knew where he was. Shrouding his abilities had been one of the things their training contained. Rufuro was a fast learner.

Ciner decided to investigate.

At last he found Rufuro in one of the upper training halls. Those were usually off limits to acolytes, only Dark Lords and their apprentices were granted access. Ciner smelled the blood and burned flesh as soon as he entered. After a moment’s probing with all his senses he sheathed the weapon he had drawn instinctively. The sole sign of life in the hall came from the picture of misery that was curled up in the far corner of the room. The waves of despair the Mirialan emanated were what an inquisitor was expected to arouse in others, not what he was supposed to emit himself. Ciner’s initial reaction was one of disgust at the display of weakness. This was no future Sith. If Ffon found him like this, Rufuro would be one more forgotten dead alien slave. And Ciner wouldn’t even blame the pureblood for killing him.

But the scene at hand suggested that two acolytes had already tried to kill Rufuro afore. And obviously they had not survived their endeavor. Two big brutes, two dead big brutes. What had happened here? He doubted that Rufuro had sought this fight. He walked over to the former slave. There was something amiss.

“Get up! Now!” He received no reaction. With a gripping gesture he balled his right hand into a fist and raised it to eye level. Simultaneously Rufuro was gripped by the front of his robes and lifted off the ground, to a standing position.

Rufuro struggled feebly, more by instinct than conscious intent. His gaze was unfocused.

Ciner shook him. “Stop it!” he bellowed. The struggling ceased. He tried to stand Rufuro up on his feet, but as soon as he loosened his Force grip the inquisitor slumped down.

“Look at me!” He shook him again. “Look—at—me!”

Rufuro’s gaze focused slowly. Some light returned to his eyes when he recognized Ciner. “Save me. I don’t want to go back. Kill me now. Please!”

Ciner was sorely tempted to accommodate the request. However, he had invested considerable time in this wretched failure of an inquisitor. He had taught him lessons he’d need to survive as a Sith. He didn’t like to waste his time. And he didn’t want to search for another sparring partner. He had picked the strongest one available and he would be damned if he gave him up this easily.

He concentrated on his anger to fuel his connection to the Force, added a bit of Rufuro’s despair, and lifted him off the floor with ease. With a push through the Force he let go of him, shoving him hard into the closest wall. Rufuro began slowly to slide down the wall making no move to defend himself. Then Ciner realized what had been bothering him all along.

The combat training with Ciner had payed off. Two dead acolytes bore witness.

Rufuro had been expecting a trap. Anything else would have surprised him. He had expected the instructors to punish him for his impertinence to set foot in the training hall that was for lords and apprentices only. But obviously Harkun hadn’t been sure of what the instructors would do. So he had sent Wydr and Balek, fellow acolytes, instead. One, two or all three of Harkun’s problems solved. The twins had been as dumb as they had been big. They really thought Harkun would let them leave Korriban once they had killed Rufuro. They had neither realized that Harkun would dispose of them, too, nor that they wouldn’t be able to kill Rufuro.

Two dead acolytes. He had not wanted to kill them. They had left him without a choice. But that wasn’t true. There was always a choice. He had chosen his life over theirs. One for two. And it wouldn’t stop there. He would become Sith. He would be the enemy. He had been foolish. He had thought that he’d be free once he survived Korriban. It had been an illusion.

How many deaths had been necessary for him to realize his mistake? How far had he strayed from the light?

He couldn’t remember when he had stopped to hope that somebody would come to save him. The first days in captivity had been a daze of pain and panic. Days had turned into weeks, into months, into something meaningless.

At first he had hoped every day anew that he’d survive to see the next. Then came the time he had prayed for the mercy of death. The Force knew he had tried more than once to kill himself. Morgon had prevented it—Morgon and his rituals. The rest had been mostly silent suffering. Until he had killed Eliel. That had raised questions. The answer had been to send him to Korriban.

Korriban—not delightful but no drugs. Somewhere above was a circle ritual in progress. Some more fluctuation in the Force—who would notice? This was the way out. There was only one death necessary to change destiny.

Rufuro drew on the Force. He felt the nauseating corrupting pull of the dark side. He gathered as much energy as he could. Then he opened his mind even further and drew some more. He felt the Force pulsing with his heartbeat, trying to take control of his mind, threatening to overwhelm him. He brought his hands together above his heart—and his head exploded.

When he woke up he didn’t know how long he had been unconscious. He lay near the back wall, obviously still alive. His head hurt like hell. Timid probing revealed no apparent outer damage. He tried to get up, but his knees buckled beneath his weight. His weapon still lay in the middle of the room. He raised his hand to summon it with the Force. Nothing happened. He tried again. Nothing. No, this was impossible. Somehow he had blocked his access to the Force.

Without being able to use the Force Rufuro wouldn’t be a threat to anybody. Harkun knew where he came from, probably had talked to Morgon. With sudden certainty Rufuro knew that Harkun would send him back to Morgon. Not even a Force vision could be clearer. But he could not go back. Not now, not after having dreamed of being free. He’d rather die than go back. He cackled a mirthless laughter at the thought. The wish to die was what had brought him into this miserable situation. He had thought he had found a way to kill himself. He laughed some more, even if the joke was a bad one and at his expense. His body shook with laughter and continued shaking after the laughter turned into sobs. He had lost. He had but one thing left and though he would give it away freely nobody would be willing to take it. He knew he’d go back. Ten years—ten endless years since the Sacking of Coruscant. Morgon had always taken care to restore his health. Forty years, fifty? How many more years would he survive?

He curled up into a ball and cried. He had tried to change destiny and maybe he had. But destiny was a cruel master, and destiny had outsmarted him.

I'll catch the Index up tomorrow, I swear!

Comments: Might be a little out of order....I was kinda reading all over the place this afternoon.

@Yoshi: I can't even imagine what Jasin and his clone must be feeling. That was a touching story and I'm glad Methic was there to offer a place. I like how Jasin insisted his clone have choices.....that truly is what makes an individual.

@Frauzet: What a heart wrenching piece! I feel so awful for poor Rufio and hope he finds a way to survive, maybe even get back to the light.

@LaxKnight: TeeHee, Joanne's coverups made me giggle. I like that you gave her a genuine fear and she hired an interesting pilot who easily saw through her fibs.

@Lesaberisa: I can't remember if I commented on your Tumblr, but I love the diary format. It really gives a good feel for what Amitia was like in those younger years and what better way to get to know a young girl than to see her diary! The Veresia piece was touching and I just want to give her a hug! You may not write much on Olympia but I like her quirks.....fuzzy Nexu slippers and all!

@DarthSillyMonkey: I really like where you're going with this and the idea of the Shadow having their own 'secret society' of sorts is very intriguing! I can't wait for the next part......one of these days Fenn'rys is gonna get it!

@SifaSeven: I like where these family complications are going! I like that Kaliyo had those interesting experiences with Kezz's adopted sister and can just see Vector's reaction to the Hutta story she shared. I'm eager to read more!

Hey, I actually wrote something for the prompt this week!! I'm so proud of myself and simply must share!

Title: Going Up?

Prompt: Achilles’ Heel

Character: Katrynka-BH

Setting: Hoth Orbital Station, some time after this.

Spoilers: BH Hoth

**warning: possible hanky panky.....nothing explicit, I promise. :p

“Cripes, can this kriffing thing move any slower?” Kat muttered tensely, already feeling the familiar anxiety that always hit her whenever she stepped in an elevator….or any small, closed in space.

“Any slower and it would be stopped,” the other party observed dryly.

An involuntary shiver ran down her spine at that thought and she glared at the Devaronian for putting it in her head, “Don’t even think that!”

“Hey, you started it,” he retorted, unfazed by the death stare coming from those amber eyes, “I certainly don’t want this thing going any slower, but knew better than to tempt fate by saying anything.”

“What was that?” Kat shrieked, startled by a loud grinding noise. The young Cathar’s nerves were already frayed from the long day freezing on Hoth and the way too slow moving elevator on Hoth's Orbital Station.

“Karma,” Gault raised a brow as a wicked grin crossed his face. He chuckled at the growl she shot at him then his yellow eyes looked up at the ceiling, “Probably just the motor. This isn’t exactly a high tech operation they’ve got running here.”

Kat swallowed hard and decided to try to distract herself from her fears by reviewing their progress so far. Their little Jawa contact, Blizz, proved useful in their mission to draw out the Blacklist target, Reneget Vause, they were chasing. They were taking out other, somewhat high profile targets to make Kat ‘worthy prey’ for the Trandosian. One of these targets was a droid obsessed cyborg, Ayor-v9. So Kat, Mako, Gault, and Torian set out for Leth Outpost…..more specifically, the nearby Geothermal station where they could find Slam Streever, one of Blizz associates that had something to help defeat their decked out cyborg target. Slam was a prisoner of the White Maw, a band of pirates who’d recently taken over the power plant. Ayor-v9 was one a White Maw Captain, who in fact went down easily after the little gadget Slam found in Blizz's belongings. Torian had been injured while they were helping to free Slam, but Mako was able to patch him enough to make it back to Dorn Base. Mako and Torian had gone on ahead while Kat chatted with Blizz and Gault sketched the Jawa for a possible cameo in the next Super Spacer release.

Another loud grinding noise interrupted Kat’s train of thought, then the felt the elevator shudder. A few seconds later, the lights flickered out and everything was still. Oh, damn…..damn, damn, DAMN! Kat mentally cursed, her breath hitching as she fought to control her racing heart, Ok, don’t panic……someone will come fix it…..the Empire is all about efficiency and a stopped elevator isn’t efficient.

“You choking on a hairball over there?” Gault called out.

The cold terror creeping up rendered her unable to respond to Gault’s snarky comment and Kat sank to her knees, trying to steady her breathing as she prayed to the Gods for someone to get that elevator moving soon or at least get some lights on.

“Kat?” Gault called out again, growing a little concerned that his fearless leader failed to make a snappy comeback or threaten his well-being after the hairball remark. It was pitch black, but he could hear her labored breathing coming from the opposite side, “Everything okay?”

“No,” Kat finally managed to get out, the tone of that single hoarse whisper enough to alert her perceptive companion that even she was afraid of something.

A few months ago, Tyresius Lokai might’ve taken advantage of the Bounty Hunter’s weakness….stored the nugget of information away to use against her later if needed. But he wasn’t that man anymore. As it turned out, more than his name changed that day he joined Kat’s crew….at some point, his outlook began to change a little as well.

Tyresius had always been a loner, looking out for number one no matter what happened to anyone else. He was all about making money and living well. Having numerous bounties on one’s head and being hunted across the galaxy tended to take a toll on a person. So when Kat had him beaten and cornered, he pleaded for his life, told her he was tired of running, being hunted. He wanted out…..a new life. A fresh start. Kat had been sympathetic and agreed to go along with his idea of faking his death. During their time on Alderaan, he finally felt secure enough to ask Kat what made her spare him. She admitted to being hunted herself, along with her littermates, by a family enemy. It didn’t escape Gault that she’d taken a big risk by trusting him with that information, but it also didn’t escape him that she’d slit his throat with those sharp claws if he even thought about endangering her or her family by selling them out.

So Tyresius Lokai died that fateful day on Tatooine and Gault Rennow came to life. During his first month, after finally able to sleep without nightmares of being hunted, he started thinking up schemes, presenting a few to Kat since according to Mako, she could use the spare credits to fix up the bucket of bolts they called a ship. He quickly learned that she wanted no part of conning decent people, but had no issues with auctioning off his corpse as long it didn’t bring them any trouble. Gault knew better than to take any risks....just because she spared his life didn’t mean she would protect it if he got in over his head again. So he toed the line and started thinking along different lines for money making schemes. Then one night, the Super Spacer character came to him, and the first of the Galaxy’s hottest graphic novel series was born. Although Kat and Mako were a little hot that he hadn’t asked them first, they agreed to let him keep their characters of Killer Kat Babe and Slicer Girl in the books and over the next weeks, the ship became a lot more comfortable…..and homier.

Gault would never be a paragon of virtue or anything even remotely close, but he found himself becoming attached to the Cathar and her petite, easily excited slicer friend and for only the second time in his life, he actually cared about someone other than himself. For some odd reason, the hunter amused him, and Gault found himself enjoying the look Kat got on her face when she was trying to be professional and not laugh at one of his wisecracks in front of a client. He enjoyed their verbal sparring, finding that she had a quick wit and a wicked sense of humor once he got to know her. Even Torian wasn’t so bad once you got past that grunting, Mandalorian exterior……in fact, his lack of skill at poker proved to be a very endearing trait to the former con man.

A muffled sob brought Gault back to the present and he dug in his pack, finally finding a small flashlight and immediately turned it on. He pointed the soft beam of light towards where Kat had been standing when the lights went out, panning down until he found her sitting on the floor, hugging her knees as tears ran down her face.

“Stars, Kat,” Gault blanched, having no idea her fear was that bad, as he quickly closed the distance between them and sat down next to the shaking Cathar, “Is it the elevator? It’s just stuck……they’ll get someone to fix it and we’ll be outta here in no time.”

“I don’t like the dark,” Kat whispered, a little relieved now that there was a little light, but she could feel the walls closing in and she started to shake harder, “or being closed in……trapped. Both at the same time….”

“Is more than you can deal with,” Gault finished as he recalled times before when they’d been in elevators, realizing that Kat always looked tense in them. He put their backpacks together and removed his heavy lined trenchcoat, placing it over the backpacks and the floor, then he moved Kat over and got her to lie down. She complied, curling into the fetal position, still shaking as he sat next to her, “Hey, we’ve got light now…..that helps right?”

“A little……but I feel like I’m going to suffocate in here.”

“If you suffocate, then I suffocate and I’m definitely not going to let that happen. I didn’t hook up with your crew to just keel over in an orbital station hovering over some frozen rock of a planet a few months later.” When that failed to get a reaction, he rubbed her back and decided to share one of his own fears, “It’s okay to be afraid of something……I get the skeevies every time I see a womprat,” he shuddered at the image.

“You must’ve hated Tatooine!” Kat replied, her voice still sounding anxious, but she finally relaxed her body a little, rolling to her back to look up at him.

“I did……well at least until that last night there,” he shot her a sly grin as memories from that night surfaced, the sight of that slender, cream colored body clad in hot pink satin underwear pacing restlessly, the feeling of lush curves and lean muscle covered by velvety soft fur under his fingertips, passionate moans and cries echoing in his mind.

The hint of a smile curved Kat’s full lips as she too recalled that last night on Tatooine. After she took pity on the newly christened Gault, they headed out to finish a side job she’d taken while Mako took the thawed out, very dead body double back to the ship. Kat and Gault ended up getting caught in a sandstorm and found shelter in an abandoned shack for the night. At the time, Kat was six days into her mating cycle without having done anything about it. One thing led to another and they ended up spending an intensely pleasurable, steamy night together. Kat felt her body react a little at the memory. The pleasing images of what the tall, lanky, Devaronian looked like undressed were enough to chase away the cold panic and her breathing steadied without her realizing it.

“I guess I’m not the only one who recalls that evening fondly,” Gault’s voice broke into her thoughts, “You seem a little better now.”

She nodded, then remembered their current situation and her anxiety came rushing back, “How much longer do you think they’ll take?”

The answer to that question came as a voice from a speaker above, “Is anyone in there?”

“Yes,” Gault called out, Kat, who’d rapidly returned to hyperventilating, unable to speak, “There’s two of us in here.”

“Maintenance just arrived and once they assess the issue, they’ll begin repairs. As of right now, our estimate is showing that it will be at least thirty minutes before it’s running again.”

“Gotcha, thanks,” Gault sighed, hoping he could keep Kat calm for that long because it really troubled him to see her so afraid. He took in her once again shaking form, still lying on her back with her arms hugging her chest. She was biting her lip in an effort not to cry, hard enough that those sharp fangs draw blood. Thank the stars we have a flash light, he mused, hoping at least having light would help her get through the next half an hour. However, the universe seemed determined to work against them and the flash light sputtered out a moment later, leaving them in darkness once again.

“Oh, this is just karking fantastic,” Kat sniffed, panic clawing its way back.

Gault ran his hands over his head, rubbing his horns to ease some of the tension that came from a long day, all I wanted to do was thaw out in a hot shower, catch a little HoloVid, maybe sucker Torian into a game of cards……wait……HoloVid, Gault smiled, an idea taking shape in his crafty mind. The thought of HoloVid triggered the memory of a soap opera he caught Mako watching this morning, well, either we’re going to enjoy ourselves or she’s going to kick my a*s…..regardless, she’ll be distracted, he mused, really hoping it was the former and not the latter, Okay Gault, its time to take one for the team…..

“You know, most young woman would be thrilled to be caught in a dark, private location with a man,” he drawled, “All sorts of fun opportunities to be had in a situation like this.”

“Like what?”

“I could tell you,” Gault whispered as he shifted his position, sliding down to lie next to her, his voice a little husky, “but I’d much rather show you.”

He leaned over, cupped her face, and gently brought his mouth down on hers. After what seemed an eternity of steeling himself for a slap, her lips parted with a sigh and he deepened the kiss as her arms wrapped around his neck, drawing him closer.

Kat felt her blood heat up, melting away the cold terror and she began to relax, no longer feeling like the walls were closing in. The darkness enhanced her other senses and she always liked Gault’s clean scent, the hint of rich leather from his coat, the sweet, smoky hint of those occasional cigarras he enjoyed, and his own heady musk blending well together. She focused on that and how astonishingly good he was at kissing, his tongue darting between her fangs to tease hers. He unbuckled the fasteners on her plating and tossed them aside as he leaned in closer, his hips pressing into hers. Kat could feel the effect she was having on him and her desire spiked several degrees, taking away the last remnants of her fears. With a groan, she wrapped a leg around his waist as she felt his hand sneak under her thickly lined cortosis, making its way up her stomach, and the only concern either of them had at that point was how far they could get in thirty minutes.

Edited by alaurin

Heh... wow. I say I shouldn't and then I do. Another week and too much to read! (I read it anyway. It was all so good!)

@Sthrift: Nice tone... this is a thread I'll have to keep going on. Makes me wanna get back in and play my Trooper. And yes, the "...karking idiot, SIR?" line is absolutely the best bit!

@SifaSeven: I like how you handled the crossover, dropping in backstory and mentioning the siblings as an aside, in explaining how Kezz and Graydenn were related, and then making it relevant at the end! It's fun to read how everybody handles Companions with respect to other characters or generations. Your second and third stories were fun too. I'm playing my Agent now, so seeing such colorful previews of companions makes me excited to progress!

@Allronix: Very nice piece. I got a rather strong vibe from Tharan regarding this issue myself, but to see it from a different Miraluka point of view is an even bigger contrast. (My Consular is partly Miraluka as well, but has the common ground of also being a bit of a techie.) I enjoyed how your character was completely confused by him, and you showed well how confused he was by her also! They both have valid points of view on the matter.

@Marissalf: Wow. Another fun twist! Seeing how critically your companions and various generations work through your stories is amusing! And... another wow. Gault? Curious and creative... like to see how that ends up!

@LaxKnight: Very cool little moment there near the beginning, that set the tone for the whole piece... "Keep fighting, and the way will eventually be clear." Very Trooper sentiment. On your prompt story... I loved the dialogue. The characters really came through in their tone, and I liked your choice of "issues".

@Striges: I feel you on this one. (Caylenn had no idea how to "diplomatically" respond to Qyzen's suggestion about being Herald either!) Your treatment of the issue is much like the conclusion I came to... if the challenge brings him stregth and motivation, then his beliefs are valid, even though they are completely opposite of much of the Jedi teachings. Diplomacy is all about finding common ground where there seems to be none, and you analyzed this one well.

@Lesaberisa: Your first piece was a fun and unusual read. Not often we see through the eyes of a citizen who, aside from all the politics and fights, is just trying to survive amid the war. I loved the piece about Ayrs as well! Very sweet. And a startling turn on the Sith Warrior story! I could really feel the coming down after all the insanity, that wondering of what it all was for. I especially liked her thoughts on Vette. [interestingly, I did stumble across Ayrs and Veresia on the forums and read a little of their stories too, though that was when I was just starting the game and leveling my Inquisitor (also ended up Light, so your story was interesting to me) so I didn't read too much for fear of spoilers!] I enjoyed the little shorts you posted later... the shopping one was funny, and I loved the diary!! The central one though... that was more thought-provoking. I felt you captured that uncertainty well... labels like Jedi vs Sith, of not feeling one or the other, really.

@Phyreblade: Your first story was a fun one! As much as I love the action and drama that is so much of this story, it wouldn't be Star Wars without the lighter moments, and I enjoyed how you handled Vette's humor... the droid, however, takes the cake! Too funny! And I like the idea of the Hunter knowing Braden a long time ago... she's got serious spunk, and I like their dynamic.

@YoshiRaphElan: Well. That was an interesting last line! I was very curious to see where that went, so your second story was a weclome read! I have always loved playing with the unexpected... dark or gray Jedi, light or gray Sith... so it's fun to see a story with a clear distinction made between a Light Sith and a Jedi, because they are very different things, even though both are Light leaning force sensitives.

@Bright_Ephemera: I liked your take on the reconciliation. The subtleties are very true to the characters... nobody just outright SAYS what's on their mind, but they both damn well know! The tension there was thick enough you'd need her lightsaber to cut it...

@Frauzet: That was quite compelling! I like the differences between your two Sith, and how they get along despite very obvious differences in their way of looking at things. I couldn't help but feel for your Inquisitor, too... the Inquisitor story is full of turns, and in many places I found myself making choices against my current alignment... your character's frustration with not being able to better control his own destiny really captured a lot of that class' overarcing feel. And your Warrior's response... I could picture the whole thing, hear that voice. Nicely done. Happy to see a "Part I" and looking forward to the next installment.

@Alaurin: Oh, I loved your piece! It was almost exactly the kind of thing I had in mine when I thought of the prompt... and yes. I have decided I am liking the unusual Gault thing very much! It's nice to see a non-canon pairing that's kept so much in-character for those involved.

Alright, I probably should have thought, before submitting a prompt, what I would actually write if it were used. After some actual pondering, I came up with this. Playing Katharsys, one of the things I found most fun was choosing dialogue responses. Some of them were tough choices. However, as I played through, I did notice a recurring theme where I always chose to call somebody out for making a crack about slaves or alien blood. This would be the first... and most memorable... of those choices.

Prompt: Achilles' Heel

Title: ...What Did You Call Me?

Character: Katharsys (Sorcerer)

Spoilers: Inquisitor Chapter I (Balmorra)

Quietly, with surprising agility for a scholar, the lithe form of Sylin Kath leapt over the edge of ths bunker and rounded the corner. He didn't know how deeply inside or outside the guards would be placed, and since the dashade was busy fighting the guards back along the trail he felt caution was the best policy. As he lurked in the shadow of the bunker's entrance, he could hear the screams of the soldiers at Khem Val's approach. He was certain some of them met their doom at the brute's hands, but he was equally sure most of them simply lost control of their bodily functions and fled. So long as he cleared their escape, Kath didn't mind that they escaped. More to tell the tale of terror. It was not everyday that modern Republic guards faced down a dashade, and Khem was probably loving every minute of his task.

Now, for the reason he was here, the reason for the escape. His contact on Balmorra, Major Bessiker, was apparently father to a young Sith just shortly off Korriban. Generally, Sith could handle themselves, even apprentices, but if he had managed to get himself captured, it's entirely possible there were unexpected circumstances. Overwhelming numbers perhaps? Khem would deal with that. Superior tech? If so, Imperial Intelligence would send somebody in shortly. Simple inexperience on the young man's part? As much as Kath hated to admit it, this was probably the most likely situation. Ineptitude, even against overwheming odds, was often seen as a fault punishable by death among Sith, and Kath remembered this quite clearly. He was not long off Korriban himself, and the echoes of the frustration, the fear... the fury of it... were still fresh.

If he made it off Korriban, the young man had to have considerable talent. His father had been respectful, and even friendly to Kath... most of the Imperial Military had appreciated his assistance... so if he could do anything to justify Bessiker's kindness, he wanted to. Ever since his arrival on Balmorra, he'd finally felt like part of a team. Here, he was a powerful force that, with the military at his back, could truly accomplish something here on this war-ravaged planet. If he could do anything to help bolster a fellow Sith, teach him that the Empire's rise to glory depended on working together to decimate the forces of the Republic and not striking each other down in a desperate play for power, he would.

Optimistic, Kath turned back to the bunker entrance, his green eyes scanning down the hallway leading deeper into the hillside. He could make out armored and uniformed silhouettes pacing in standard patterns... nobody force sensitive, save for a single faint signal of darkness coming from far back in the bunker. Kath's black lips curled into a dark smile... this would be easy.

The fight was predictably simple. Some fought to the death, others eventually fled, but Kath had to respect their solidarity. Even though loss was inevitable, they stood together. Despite this, however, the path was soon clear, and Kath approached the energy fields of the prison cells. Off in the back corner, one cell had a young man sitting hunched by the edge of the energy wall, clad in the robes of a Sith. Hiran Bessiker. He was quietly seething with rage. There was a flicker in his anger though, as he lifted his head at the sound of footsteps. The prisoner stood as Kath walked up toward the grid controls.

Kath looked him over. He seemed strong, confident, and his face echoed Bessiker's own features. Just now he did seem a little surprised though. Had he not expected assistance? Kath was definitely glad he'd come, and gave Hiran a small conspiratorial grin as the young Sith spoke.

"You... you... the old man sent you for me, didn't he? He must have gotten my distress signal!" The surprise faded from his face as he spoke, replaced by a calculated air of superiority. Obviously Korriban had taught him much. "I guess he's good for something... he kept talking about some Sith he was working with." Kath couldn't help but feel a slight irritation at the way this boy talked about his own father. However, his next words caused that irritation to vanish almost completely.

"He didn't mention you were a filthy alien..."

Kath's eyes widened in genuine surprise. What had he just said?! He could feel a hot flush rising to his cheeks, staining the fair skin red between the black stripes of his tattoos. The smile dropped instantly, and the eyes narrowed again in a frown.

"He didn't mention you were an insufferable fool." The edge to Kath's voice as he said this would have warned anybody who actually knew him. Hiran Bessiker, unfortunately, didn't know him.

"Watch your tongue, scum! Now, get me out of here!"

An angry ache spread through Kath's veins, gripped his hearts, caused his hands to tremble slightly. Those words, coming from Bessiker's own flesh and blood, not to mention somebody he'd resolved to help, hurt. Nobody had spoken to him like that since Korriban, and he'd mistakenly assumed they never would again. His lip curled in a snarl, and he forced the words toward the young Sith through his own tightening throat.

"Give me one... good... reason."

"My master's powerful. I'm sure you've heard of him... Lord Estras." Hiran's face was smug. The sense of entitlement the young man felt was palpable. "He won't be happy if I don't come back alive. My master sent me here for a holocron the Republic dug up someplace or other. I've got the holocron, now all I have to do is get out of this place."

Now Kath was curious. He knew holocrons, and one in the hands of this idiot meant nothing good. "What purpose does this object serve?"

"It's not the holocron itself that's special. The holocron's a map. It's supposed to point to a powerful weapon of the Dark Side that's hidden here on Balmorra." Hiran strutted quietly and dismissively in his prison. "The weapon's mine, if I find it... which I will, now that you're here to free me."

Kath's brow knit. Was he serious? Had he learned nothing from his father, and still less from Korriban? Did Hiran Bessiker honestly think that this was the way to get a Sith... any Sith... to do you a favor? Kath had tolerated a lot as a Zabrak slave, and he'd nearly been pushed to a breaking point more than once on Korriban. He'd come out alive, and more than that, he'd come out powerful. He was nobody's slave, and nobody called him a filthy alien and got away with it! And, Bessiker or no, this whelp was going to pay for his insolence.

Kath knew just the fine. "Actually... the weapon's mine." He forced his features into a calm expression, but his eyes were blazing. "Thank you for telling me all about this lovely new toy."

The unfortunate young man glared back at Kath, and actually said the last thing Kath wanted to hear. "If you plan on taking that weapon, you're going to have to fight me first!"

Fine. If this moron wanted to die instead of being rescued, that was fine. If he wanted to fling insults, fine. The Sith had learned well exactly how to play with his enemy's feelings, how to say the exact thing that would rile his opponent into a fury. Kath would have been lying to himself if he said his eyes weren't stinging a bit at the thought of what he would say to Bessiker later, of his own failure, and yes, at the horrible memories Hiram had dredged up. But Kath was Sith, and his hurt, his pain, his rage only made him stronger.

Hiran had just made a very powerful enemy.

A little of the pain begged an early vent, and Kath laughed quietly to himself as he cracked his knuckles. Reaching toward the controls, he let forth a blast of violet lightning. Sparks flew from the console, the generators whined complaint, and the forcefield flickered off as Hiran lifted his hand to summon his lightsaber.

It was a good fight. The rage coursed through Kath, burning, healing, fueling the fire, purging the fury, feeling horrible and yet so good! The angry red of Hiran's blade clashed and sparked as it tried to block the flaring violet of Kath's lightsaber. There really was no point at which Hiran had the upper hand, though, and the fight was over almost too quickly. Kath saw his opening and lunged forward, his face a mask of fury, and buried his blade in Hiran's chest.

As the young man slumped to the floor, Kath could feel his pulse begin to slow, his body coming down off the high of his rage. He staggered back a pace or two, his eyes on what remained of Hiran Bessiker.

Now what?

Bessiker was an Imperial. Hiran was his son. Kath doubted he would understand any of this. If Korriban wasn't so very much exactly what it was, would Hiran have turned out to be more like his father? Would he have stood a chance against the Republic either way? At this point, it was all a waste of thought. Hiran was dead. Kath had killed him. Hiran had deserved it. Bessiker would not understand. And in the end, Kath was really no better than any of his brethren.

He had just killed another Sith for mouthing off to him.

The heavy footfalls of Khem Val padding down the corridor met his ears, and Kath just stood there, looking at Hiran, running a hand through his thick black hair. He glared down angrily at the body, tears burning in his eyes.

Khem turned his big head to the side, his harsh features marked by confusion. "Why do you weep, little Sith? Your victory was glorious, and your enemies are defeated!"

Kath shook his head and bent down for his prize, picking up the holocron where it glowed softly on the floor beside Hiran. "This... Khem..." He looked quietly at the object in his fingers. "This... was not victory. And that..." he pointed at Hiran, "should not have been the enemy."

"He attacked you. You brought him down swiftly. Your rage was glorious. What is this if not victory?"

Kath sighed. "This is folly. And, if we don't fix it, this is why we may not win the war." With that, he stalked away in disgust, leaving a sated and yet bewildered Khem to follow silently behind.

Edited by TrystanLaryssa

Getting in one last entry before the new prompt:

Prompt: Achilles’ Heel

Character: Jurial (Jedi Sage) minor appearance by Qyzen

Occurs after No Easy Answers. No spoilers if you know anything about Qyzen and his relationship to the JC. Jurial’s Memory of Coruscant mentions his fear of the dark combined with a touch of claustrophobia, as well as how he deals with these problems. He hasn’t faced any of them head on in a while.

I stare at the space where my glow-lamp should be. Qyzen insists on complete darkness. The light, even a little, attracts the rakghouls. He is correct, of course. While he says he has some interest in hunting them (they are neither rare nor particularly intelligent, but do offer some challenge for him) he is also not foolish. Hunting them on his terms is one thing, attracting them to our camp is quite another.

I do not want to attract them. But I cannot abide the darkness, either. Not here. Contemplating the code does not help me. Sitting quietly still is impossible. Meditation provides no relief. It dredges up memories I thought I had moved past. Silently, I recite the mantra I learned as a child:

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering.

This is supposed to help me recognize the danger of fear so I may put it aside. But this time I cannot. Not at night. Not with no light at all but the stars’ dim glow. I am trapped in fear and darkness. The walls of our flimsy tent are too close. The ruined buildings outside are too familiar. There is only darkness and fear and stale warm air.

My lamp is a crutch. I should not need it. I should have put it up long ago, long before now. I wish I had. But I clung to it and its false promise of safety. A foolish choice. I should have been stronger. I should have thought ahead.

I shift to the other side of the tent. Then back. Then again. Qyzen scratches on the tent flap, “Herald is well?” he asks.

I try hard to keep my voice level, “I find sleep difficult, Qyzen.”

He growls a little, not a threat, something closer to a commiserating sigh, “I watch for us, but Herald is wary. Herald is wise.”

I hear him withdraw. Herald is wary, but not for the right reasons. I unwrap the second half of one of our ration bars and chew on it slowly. Herald is not wise, either.

Bright asked me to provide the prompt this week. Alaurin had a great suggestion on tumblr, so here goes:

Week of 2/14/2014

Love Letters and Secret Valentines -- How do our characters stay in touch with the ones they love when they are far apart? Did they write romantic messages while they were courting? Has a new companion stumbled on some cherished correspondence with an old flame? Perhaps they never worked up the courage to express their feelings except in unsent letters or anonymous notes. In a romantic mood, what would your character write and to whom? Prompt courtesy of Alaurin.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Best Day Ever - We've written about our characters' worst days; now write about their best days! A day when something wonderful happened, like finally beating your nemesis, or just a day when everything went really well for them, and how they reacted.

@Striges: Nice one. I liked the use of the mantra, and the sense of conflict I got from his thoughts. Given Jedi train themselves to be mindful of their feelings, yet not controlled by them, it stands to reason that irrational fears like phobias might be confusing... there's nothing really to "be mindful" of, so it makes sense that such fears might be more of a struggle to overcome.

Also, nice prompt. I was late with my last story and apparently I'm early with this one... apologies for the unrelated back-to-back posts.

Figured this one just begged me to get back to mischief, so just a brief interlude on Nakova.

Prompt: Love Letters and Secret Valentines

Title: Hot Under the Collar

Character: Lord Nakova (Warrior) and Captain Quinn

Spoilers: None

Nakova smiled quietly to herself as she turned on the monitor to the medical station from her quarters. This would be perfect! It was early in the morning, and nobody else on the ship was even remotely likely to be awake, let alone out of their quarters. Nobody, that is, with one exception...

After another minute, the Sith Lord was rewarded for her patience (and proven right) as the ever-stoic Captain Malavai Quinn reported to medical a full hour ahead of schedule. She toyed idly with a lock of her auburn hair that always seemed to stray from the bun at the nape of her neck. He was actually earlier than she'd expected... normally he was about half an hour ahead of schedule. A wicked smile pulled a bit more at the corner of her lips. Had he been having difficulty sleeping? If so, this would truly be rich!

Quinn stepped through the doorway of the medical bay, straightening his collar and making sure his uniform was un-wrinkled. He'd given up on getting back to sleep, and figured since he had less than an hour to report, he may as well get some extra work done. He gave the room its usual cursory inspection before turning to the console where he normally ran his diagnostics, and noted that there was a notification flashing on the screen. Someone had left him a message.

Dutifully he opened the missive, his dark blue eyes scanning the screen for a moment before widening considerably.

My dear Captain,

It has come to my attention that you have made a change in requisitioning supplies. I have noted a new fragrance of aftershave tonic has been added to replace the former type. I was wondering about the appealing scent about you the last time we met. It was quite intoxicating.

Not only do I approve of this change in requisition, but I would like to make a formal request that you continue to wear this new scent on a daily basis, since you will be accompanying me on my mission to Alderaan.

I look forward to verifying this change at your next inspection, Captain.

Lord Nakova

Quinn could feel a hot flush spread over his cheeks as he reread the message, just to reassure himself that there was not in fact anything more implied by this new order, and frustratingly could find no such reassurance. Relieved that nobody was present to witness his reaction, he tugged idly at his collar, which suddenly seemed a bit warm. Then, instead of deleting the message as he knew he should have done, he found himself moving it to a folder of his message archive usually reserved for more important missives.

He sat back in his chair, staring at the screen for several moments, and actually bit his lip before shaking his head and leaning forward to get on with his morning routine scans.

Nakova laughed to herself as she watched him, enjoying the candid nature of his behavior. He was still surprisingly formal, even when he was unaware he was being watched, but this

was likely part of his training... most Imperials probably assumed they were being watched at all times.

If that were so, then that flush and the gestures that followed were actually very telling indeed! Delighted, she scanned back through the recording and watched again as those meticulous eyes widened and the touch of red washed across his face. He was absolutely adorable!

Astonished, Nakova caught herself fidgeting with her own collar now instead of her hair, and realized she was likely a bit flush herself. Was she getting caught up in her own game? Come to that, how much of a game was it, really? Perhaps there was something to the man that she herself had not quite noticed yet except on an instinctive level.

Making sure to archive the footage, she turned off the monitor and finished her preparations to contact her Master. She would have plenty of time to watch him with new eyes during their mission on Alderaan. Hopefully, the trip would prove even more interesting than she had bargained for.

Edited by TrystanLaryssa

Yay, comments!

lesaberisa: Amitia's diary entry sounded just like a typical young girl's. The one time she disobeyed Mama's rules was the one time she saved her friends. And "Zeena Jedi Warrior Princess" :p. Love the last line, too.

Veresia's story was heartbreaking...it sound like she isn't so sure about who she really is. :confused:

Olympia is just like one of my inquisitors. I WANT THAT PET...TAKE MY CREDITS!!!!

Shira and the Shadow...now you've got me intrigued about this secret society within the Jedi. More, please. :D

frauzet: ow...I feel for Rufuro. Apparently destiny has a lot more in store for him. :(

Alaurin: Gault to the rescue! I love how you pointed out that Tyresius would have taken advantage of Kat's fear, but that man is DEAD. Gault Rennow is a different man. I love this Kat/Gault romance.

TrystanLaryssa: If Korriban was different, Hiran may have been more like his father. My Sith Pureblood inquisitor didn't put up with his 'filthy alien' remark, either, and promptly fried him after he told her about the holocron.

Nakova's spying on Quinn's reaction to her note...oh, man. :D Is the stoic Captain ready to crack? Is Nakova realizing that SHE may be caught up in her own game?

Striges: Poor Juriel. Sometimes fears are irrational and can't be banished by logic or meditation. Interesting that Qyzen misinterprets Juriel's restlessness are just being wary.

I've started a tumblr blog: Writing Across Universes. I've put up some screenshots of my characters (here and here), including Kezz, Kymma and the rest of the Dreamwalker clan. I'll post stories on that blog, as well as here.

@SifaSeven: I had NO idea that Hiran would refer to a Pureblood Sith as a "filthy alien"... seriously? He must be dumber than I thought... *lol*

Yeah, seriously. Scorpiana is my only non-Human Inquisitor. When he called her that, my reaction was, "He did NOT just call her that!!!" After that attitude, and

knowing that you get the serum with or without Bessiker

I was like, "Thanks for the info, dude. Have a nice day."

*cue Sith barbeque*

Sorta kinda Love Letters with Colran and Dolarra Niral, filtered through Ruth, who is currently at odds with Quinn. Indirect Sith Warrior spoiler. 600ish words. Happens after the recent Boring Conversation Anyway and during/after Discoveries 2.

June, 27 ATC - 16 years after the confirmation of the Wrath

Fury-class designate Scorned

It wasn't until her third session of reading her parents' correspondence from the little datacube that Ruth realized there was a second folder. It was newer than the one housing the years of plaintext letters between traveling mother and domestic father; new enough, in fact, that it could only have been made by Quinn while he had the cube. He had accidentally come into possession of the collection before Ruth knew it existed; in spite of their latest cold silence he had sent it back to her. She had a feeling he'd read it first.

In the new folder she found a handful of shortcuts to specific letters from within the voluminous collection. Ruth selected the first one and read.

'Lara,

I was wrong. You'd think at my age I wouldn't be losing my head over these things...I was wrong, and I'm sorry.

Is it the job that's been silent, or you? I can live with our separations when we're close at heart. But letting you go without a goodbye kiss makes everything harder. Letting you go without letting you know how important you are to me is outright stupid.

I love you. Disappointments don't change that. Fighting doesn't change that. The end of the universe doesn't change that. Maybe that can't erase things I've said but I hope it can balance them. And I hope that coming home still means coming back to me. No matter how far the distance between us it's always your step I listen for, your dear face I half expect to see when I come around the corner.

I hope you'll forgive me.

Until we meet again, all my fondest wishes,

Colran

‘Maybe it can't erase things I've said’...done, is more like it. So here was the reason Quinn had given the archive to her. Can it be balanced? Curious as to how this story had played out, she moved to the chronological next letter.

Colran,

At your age? Look who's talking...I threw out six drafts of asking whether we're going to make up over this. It turns out for a grown woman and functioning adult I'm still bad at talking about some things.

I miss you. And I wasn't exactly blameless in our last conversation. We'd better talk things through when I get back. You must know I wouldn't just leave things where they were or freeze you out. I love you too much for that. Home is where you are, and I intend to come home soon and set things right. With you. Always with you. You're the one I dream about even when not authorized to do so and you’re the one I want to wake up with even on the most distant impossible mornings.

Mornings are nicer with you than without.

Yours, both in hard times and good ones, (you're pretty much stuck with me), (I really hope you're not still mad because if you are then this is just awkward),

Dolarra

Ruth curled her legs up in the pilot's seat and stared out into hyperspace. Once upon a time, a Sith and a career-bound Imperial had made it work. Even when there were problems. And now somebody was asking whether it could work again.

She wasn't sure she had an answer for him yet. But she took his next shortcut to a selected letter, a letter repurposed for her eyes alone, and read on.

Comments, with a witty introduction to be inserted here!

@YoshiRaphElan, so good that Methic was there to give Jasin's clone another option. His bewilderment comes through loud and clear.

@LaxKnight, I liked the Achilles' Heel piece. As someone who hates driving, especially with passengers, I sympathize with Joanne.

@Lesaberisa, Olympia's fuzzy nexu slippers sound precious. The "desperate flailing of my other hand" was hilarious.

@SifaSeven, I really liked the descriptions of Vector's aura perception, especially as applied to Cipher Ten vs. Kaliyo.

@DarthSillyMonkey, how painful Shira's decision to leave her family must have been. I like the Shadow lore you've put together.

@frauzet, I love the image of a disused chamber in the warren of the Academy. The establishment has been there long enough, I can imagine all kinds of forgotten ways surrounding it.

@alaurin, hey, somebody gets a positive memory of Hoth...that may be a first ;)

@TrystanLaryssa, it's funny, being an alien seems to give everyone a license to abuse even if that alien is a Sith. I can sympathize with Kath's anger. As for Nakova, that note is downright diabolical. I can't help but approve of flustering-Quinn plans.

@Striges, how awful for Jurial. It stings to see him blaming himself for this perceived weakness.

@BrightEphemera: A very interesting take on things, showing one relationship that has almost ironic relevance to another. The reasons we exchange cards and poetry and dedicate songs is sometimes we find another person's words seem to fit just right. Message received it would seem... it will be interesting to see if this has the desired effect.

Cooooooments! Get 'cher comments here! Fresh, hot comments!

@Frauzet: Oooh, I like it! Rufuro's need to be free drove him to desperate measures, but with unintended consequences. There should be interesting repercussions coming from that. Ciner's frustration not even fazing him was a nice touch to show how far gone he was.

@Alaurin: Look at Gault, being all slick... however, knowing him, he probably set that elevator trick up somehow beforehand. I liked how we got to see how he thinks of himself, before and after being on the ship. Be interesting if Jorgan could see Kat now though, hehe.

@TrystanLaryssa: Man, I remember that quest. From the moment he opened his mouth, I wanted to pound him... it only took three choices for my wish to come true!

Nobody had spoken to him like that since Korriban, and he'd mistakenly assumed they never would again.

I loved this line, because it showed a certain naivety in thinking people will look at you different than before, because now you hold power, but it's rarely ever the case. Spoke a lot of the character.

Nakova's little tease of Quinn may have backfired on her, eh? I love the little details of the usually stoic Quinn, tugging at his collar, and her picking up on exactly how much that one little gesture meant.

@Striges: What a great piece! Short, but very insightful. I loved it when Qyzen, in his near hero worship of the Consular, mistakes Jurial's wakefulness for hunter's instinct. It never occurs to him that fear is possible. Good stuff!

@Bright: I always love how you write Quinn. Makes me almost like him, because despite myself, I'm rooting for him. The letters were a nice parallel to Ruth's current situation, making it all the more apparent to her. Very nice piece.

A huge backlog of comments incoming. They're kind of all over the place; I've been sick for a few days this week, so if I missed you, I'm sorry!

@LaxKnight, Love Gloria’s story! The way her dad gave her courage when everybody else was at a loss for what to do just made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

@ Yoshi, :eek: Jasin has a clone! I did not expect that when I was trying to figure out who that dark presence might be. Super intrigued.

@SifaSeven, Vector and Kymma’s meeting was great. And in the more recent story,

Vector coughed. He refused to even entertain the very thought...he sternly reminded himself this was not only an Imperial Intelligence agent, but Kezz's sister as well, and Kezz had knives.

This gave me a chuckle. Always be aware of the weapons! And Kaliyo and Kymma’s misadventures sound pretty interesting.

@Striges, I just really liked Jurial’s thoughts on Quyzen’s faith and his recognizing that there are mistranslations that aren’t as crass as keeping score would seem at first glance. Jurial's fears are so human. With a fear of the dark, it would be hard to let go of the light, even with rakghouls prowling about.

@Lesaberisa, I loved Malicineve’s story when you first posted it on Tumblr. So introspective and sad; completely different from what we’re used to with her, in a good way. Arys’ speech with the notes about pausing and laughing and remembering to breath — fantastic. Just so endearing.

@Bright, Ruth and Quinn will forever break my heart, but man do I love to read their arguments. Clever of Quinn to choose those letters for her to read. Very interesting parallels.

@Phyreblade, I love that Quinn actually had to wonder if he was “Mr. Stick in the Mud.” Excellent flirting with those two. As for the second,

"My being female doesn't make me a prissy little mouse, idiot."

Kastiel is the best. Very tough and no-nonsense.

@frauzet, Oh poor, poor Ru. Korriban’s terrible on its own, but also being dealt the Harkun card is just the worst.

@TrystanLaryssa, Looks like Nakova's going to get beaten at her own game. That's how Quinn works. You think you're just poking at him for fun and then bam! — you've been sucked in. :) I like the thought of him being the type to save the message, too. It's understandable that the insults would be hard for Kath to ignore. That he recognizes how terrible it was to kill the man afterwards says a lot about his character.

@alaurin,

“I could tell you,” Gault whispered as he shifted his position, sliding down to lie next to her, his voice a little husky, “but I’d much rather show you.”

squeeee!!! Good job with Gault here, showing that he changed since Tattooine but demonstrating that he's not become some big softie either.

@DSM, OMG Cassanova of Science. I laughed hard at that. This look at Shira's past is great. Really like that you made the Shadow a sort of order within the Jedi. Very cool bit of mythology there.