View Single Post

Khevar
02.11.2014 , 10:46 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Technically, I'm not suggesting anything -- I think the system is working fine at the moment, even if some people are gaming it a bit (and I'm not saying I never do a reload if I'm in a hurry and the mission selection is super crappy). Other people have asked for BW to just make all missions always available, and my opinion is that *if and only if* BW decides to make a change, that it be to enforce the RNG aspect more strongly, not remove it.
Fair enough.

IMHO, the RNG nature of crafting is one of the least appealing parts of it. Don't get me wrong, I deal with it. It's just not what keeps me coming back. I would have wished that it were designed at the start to require more personal interation and less randomness.

By way of an example, imagine a "lockpick door" mechanic. 15% chance of success. Right click on door -- fail. Right click on door -- fail. Right click on door -- fail. Right click on door -- SUCCESS. Now let's have a mechanic whereby you manipulate the cursor to pick the locks (think Splinter Cell). Suddenly, user ability and skill comes into play.

I think it would have been super cool to have "player ability" factor into the crafting attempt. The better job you did in the crafting minigame, the better the stats of the final product. Using more rare materials would make it easier to get high stats. The better crafter is one who has more skill, not someone luckier with dice rolls.

Of course, that ship has sailed as far as TOR's crafting. We got what we got.

------------------------

Anyway, back to the refreshing mission list. If you did want "enforced RNG" and were concerned about increased supply, the simple solution would be to reduce either the crit chance or the materials reduced.

Compare these two approaches:

1. The mission list is limited, "unrefreshable" and will sometimes be full of missions that will never return the materials you are looking for, but you are forced to run them anyway to get a new list.

2. The mission list is limited, "unrefreshable" and will sometimes have missions with a low chance of returning the materials you are looking for, but you have to run them to get a new list with better missions.

What could possibly be better about the first choice?