View Single Post

morfius
02.05.2014 , 06:49 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
That was with a geared DPS, and I'm not arguing that a geared DPS cannot pull threat from an undergeared tank. We are talking about pulling threat as a healer and needing to use threat drops, and I maintain that it just isn't a significant skill for a healer at endgame. There is quite literally only a single instance where I use a threat drop when I'm on my healer, and that's on TfB second phase. The common cases are:

1. You are doing story content where the incoming damage is trivial. You are not putting out 7K effective HPS, you will probably not even break 3K eHPS on average, unless you are solo healing. Even if your tank is in DPS gear with no mitigation, your eHPS are never going to be high enough to pull aggro from a boss. And note that it is effective HPS that matters - overhealing does not generate threat. Against trash pulls or adds, we already know that threat drops and guard do nothing for a healer's threat.

2. You are doing progession content that actually stresses your healing ability, the tank's mitigation, and the awareness of your DPS. You are not doing this content with a seriously undergeared tank. If your tank has the gear to survive the hits in the first place, they have the gear to hold threat off a healer. Probably not the most geared FOTM DPS, but that is what guards, taunts, and tank swaps are for.
Only way I see mobs on healer is when they are not hit at all or there is agro dump / no agro list mechanic ... healing agro is no issue for any sane tank over same mob.
Large part of it due this over-healing mechanics ... other games had it backward - over-heal was multiplied as agro.
Here tanking and healing is different and intentionally some mobs are DPS job ... common reason healers get smashed are brain dead DPSs that doesn't follow kill order. There was so many times I have "tanked" & burned some mobs on my DDs just to remove them from healer... never got complains about that

But check again what I quoted, DD or heal ... for some DPS is easy to do it with lucky openers even on similar gear, on any DPS it is inevitable with gear gap.
I was just noting that when go as DD you have to expect that you may over agro some tanks (even if they are not bad ones) and react accordingly.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."