View Single Post

PaxSithari
02.03.2014 , 09:39 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
I'm sorry, I mean it in the game play point of view, the lore is better. Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game. SWTOR, it is not. I never played KOTOR, so for me, I don't see Han Solo or Obi-Wan or Jar Jar. I just see people called Darth and speeders and randomly named people.
Disagree. I started in mid-BC, didn't raid until mid-LK. There was nothing for the casual WoW player explaining who Arthas was, why the Scarlet Crusade was bad, or why a non-raider should care about the Sunwell. I remember trying to do the achievement where you had to fish up all the coins in the Dalaran fountain. Most of the named coins elicited a "who's that?" response - was Medivh a good guy or bad, for instance. They didn't have much storybuilding in-game. Reading through quests also didn't give you a sense of an area, or why you were doing what you were doing - only exception I found was Mankirk's wife and revenge. I left the game in Cata knowing a little about the world, but knowing I didn't need to in order to succeed.

Perhaps my interpretation is off, especially as world-building is approached differently. I do believe the use of voice and cinematics for quests stick more, even for the casual (using multiple senses vs. text-based info dump).

Part of this role-play also makes choosing characters and sides more involved. A pally is a pally, a mage is a mage, Horde/Alliance, doesn't matter. A BH is NOT a Trooper, a slinger's not a sniper. They play the same, but aren't a 1-1 faction switch. Can you imagine changing your SW's faction, have him/her become a JK?

Speaking of, TOR has a wonderful thing with Legacy, and being able to send items/money across factions. Purely as QoL, it's magnificent. Actually TOR has more QoL than WoW - mod gear, companions doing your grunt work, cross-faction trade, and moddable UI built in.

So, is SWTOR better than WoW? For me, yes. For you? You decide.
We've forgotten what it is to be Jedi. So I'm going to do some real Jedi work now, and help someone in trouble rather than talk big concepts and run errands for politicians - Bardan Jusik