The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Comments

@Magdalane: I guess Corso would be true to his word, even without feelings for the smuggler. I really like those two.

@bright_ephemera: I like Pierce being very careful in your piece about the possibilities to get rid of Quinn.

And it would be hard to trust anybody after being betrayed in this way. To find out that a friendship survived such a long break is wonderful.

Feeling helpless is hard to deal with, when you are used to being in control of most situations. Letting Wynston's subconscious (that's my interpretation) appear in form of Egrin is great.

@YoshiRaphElan: I like Vik's boasting that he wasn't worried.

I am curious if they will be able to beat the odds.

With Vik and Skadge back the chances are better...

Thana aboard the ship would certainly make life more interesting and dangerous.

@alaurin: Thank you very much, for updating the index.

I like the dynamic between Kat and Jorgan.

@marissalf: Not being missed for six days, that casts a poor light on the crew, not on Ellis, even if he were evil, which he probably isn't, because he kills his mother to save Mel. A lot of new questions. Waiting for the next part.

I guess Sanju would have been a good addition to the team of a light side agent. I am almost sorry now, he didn't survive mine.

@DarthSillyMonkey: omg, she's back... Wondering if (hoping that?) the Jedi will be an adequate adversary.

And saving Juda is really nice. I can see her fitting into that niche on the BH ship

@Phyreblade: I think Kas handled Quinn really well. And I love monkey-lizards.

Having the BH save X is a nice twist.

@elliotcat: Planning the betrayal for so long, not honoring family bonds, Quinn even worse than when he betrays his wife.

I hope I didn't miss anybody. I was way behind again with commenting.

Thank you for the encouraging comments on my last story. I, too, am starting to like Giz. I think he saved the part somewhat.

I actually wrote two stories for last week's prompt, but I will post them much later, because I don't want to spoiler my own story, and I am not really sure about how some events will turn out on the way there.

So here is one for this week's prompt. The chances of this one turning out to be wrong are small.

Prompt - You're Invited

Title - Striving after Balance

Class - SW (Ciner)

Words - About 1310

Spoilers - Spoilers for SW Belsavis

“Now, what’s to be between us?” Master Timmns asked. “Do we part as friends or as enemies?” The Mirialan waited for his answer, his presence betraying nothing but utter calmness. Neither fear, nor hate, nor tension. Eyes of a much deeper green than his own regarded him out of a green skinned face devoid of emotions. Despite that the Jedi was poised to attack, although it required a trained eye to detect the differences in his stance.

If Ciner chose to leave in peace, they would do so. If Ciner decided to fight, they would fight, and one of them would die. He loved to be in control of the situation. Ciner was sure that he would be the one leaving, and he knew the Jedi was, too. Nonetheless the Jedi would be fighting to his last breath, and it would be a good fight. The prospect of this fight alone was enough to tempt Ciner to challenge the other man. He recognized the urge as a consequence of their fight against Darth Ekkage, the result of him killing her, the remnants of the dark side, powerful emotions calling for more fuel. Discerning the desire for what it was helped to overcome it. Killing the Jedi would be a waste and he would gain nothing in the end. Not to mention the fact that Jaesa was present. He could feel her anticipation. She knew better than to use her power on him uninvited, but she knew him well enough by now to catch his mood without doing so. He took a deep breath and let the dark emotions drain away. What remained was the joy of having bested a remarkable adversary, an elevated mood on account of thwarting Darth Baras’ plans once more.

“We fight the same foe.” Ciner’s voice was contorted by the mask that covered the lower half of his face including his nose and his neck. His smile wasn’t visible, but Master Timmns relaxed, either sensing his mood through the Force or recognizing the flicker of the smile in his eyes.

“If it weren’t for the war I would invite you to accompany me,” Ciner proceeded. “As it is, I fear you’d be forced to decline the invitation.”

The Jedi gave a surprised start. “You keep astounding me, Sith, you really do. What makes you think I’d accept your invitation if we were not at war?”

“I guess the opportunity to help me in succeeding against Baras would be reason enough. You are a practical man, as you stated earlier.”

“I have to admit that we worked well together. If not guided by the light you seem to be guided by logic most of the time at least,” Master Timmns granted.

“We are not so different, you and I. We head for our goal, taking the straightest path possible. The main difference is that we start at diverse points of origin.”

“Diverse points of origin, this has to be among the best euphemisms for using the dark side as opposed to the light side that I ever heard.”

“We allied to prevent the liberation of Darth Ekkage. We both used our abilities as best we could. You even cheated and tricked me. I doubt there is a chapter on that in the Jedi-guide-to-good-behavior. But in the end we succeeded, because we worked together. Dark side, light side, it didn’t really matter. My solution to our problem may be more final than the one you would have chosen, but I know a lot of people who would prefer a quick death over an literal eternity in durance vile.”

“I can’t argue with that I am afraid,” Master Timmns admitted. “We all would do better if we tried to see things from different points of view more often. There are several sides to everything.”

“As there are two sides to the Force. But ultimately they are the same. There is only the Force as the Jedi like to proclaim. Although they tend to exclude the side they don’t approve of. But you and me? I think we both could gain much in learning from one another. Don’t you believe in the Force seeking for balance? We would balance each other even without any effects that we might have on each other’s inner balance. A Jedi and a Sith working on understanding each other? This would be a real step towards a lasting peace between Jedi and Sith.”

“What about ‘peace is a lie’?” the Jedi inquired.

“Absolute peace is a lie. It’s the ultimate balance. Death. Nobody left and nothing left to fight for. When you join a fight telling me, there is only peace, I say you are deluding yourself.

I think we agree, that we are all connected through the Force. And the Force strives after balance. Think of it as a plate balanced atop a pin. The followers of the light side being at one edge of the plate and those of the dark side at the opposite edge, some lost ones scattered in between. Neither side is able to win by destroying the other, by pushing them off the plate. The plate would topple over. Maybe long ago we set out from the middle of the plate and drifted farther and farther apart. Someone edging closer to one side requires someone edging closer to the other side as well in order to keep the plate from toppling. Whatever we do has consequences for all of us. The farther apart we drift, the more difficult it is to keep the plate in balance. Small disturbances lead to big consequences. We don’t communicate. Everybody reacts independently. We all have to do a lot of scrambling to balance our plate again.

What I propose is the endeavor to slowly and carefully move back to the center of the plate again and try to work on some coordination between our sides. But we would have to move very carefully as to not upset the balance of our plate accidentally. Every slight movement towards the middle would help to ease the situation as I see it. You and me, we could make a first move.”

Master Timmns stared at him in amazement. After a moment he addressed Jaesa. “Are you sure that this is the Emperor’s Wrath and not some kind of impostor?” He shook his head.

Jaesa smiled at him. “I told you so, Master Timmns. Most days I don’t regret that I joined him.”

The Jedi looked back at Ciner. “I really do regret that the circumstances won’t allow me to join you in your ordeal to fight Baras. I am sure it would have been a remarkable experience.”

“Perhaps when this war is over, we will talk.” Ciner held out his hand to the Jedi.

And the Jedi took it. “I’ll look forward to the opportunity. Good luck to you, Sith.”

Ciner and Jaesa watched the Jedi leaving. When he was out of earshot Jaesa addressed Ciner. “I’m pleased you parted with him on good terms.”

“It would benefit us in no way to destroy him,” he answered. “But I am pleased that you trusted in your master to come to this conclusion without your interference.” Her guilty look confirmed that she hadn’t been sure that he deserved her trust. “And what was that about most days you don’t regret joining me?” he asked, furrowing his brow in feigned irritation. “I think we will have a word about this after we return to the ship and have informed the hand that the deed is done.”

She grinned at him. “After we return to the ship, master? Good! In this I’ll have Vette for backup. You know, you won’t stand a chance against both of us.”

“We will see about that. You know I am the only one who isn’t ticklish.”

Okay, I've got time for one short one in me...no time for individual comments but thankee everyone who replied to my Ashara piece :p

Prompt: You're Invited

Characters: Deezl (Juggernaut), Vette, Quinn, and a guest

Timeline: Chapter 1 - Nar Shaddaa

Spoilers: Nar Shaddaa Warrior class story

"Quinn, come out of your lair for a second."

A perpetually annoyed Quinn could be heard before he appeared in the doorway. "My lord, it's called the bridge. I do wish you--" He drew up short at the sight of a visitor to the ship. "I apologize for my rudeness. I didn't realize you would paying us a visit. Lord Baras has always spoken highly of your service, and what I've seen did not disappoint."

Halidrell Setsyn surveyed the ship's common area with a bit of worried disdain. "It's good to see you again, Captain. Oh dear, the lighting in here is a bit dreary and...well....doom-y. Are all Sith ships like this?"

Deezl was the one who answered. "Usually, yes. We Sith have a reputation to maintain, so dark and foreboding is the order of the day."

"You and your mood lighting." Vette rolled her eyes and clapped twice. The lighting brightened to a more normal level and lost its nerve-rattling red hue, illuminating everything much better. "Don't worry...he did the same thing to Quinn, too."

Quinn sniffed and looked at the Twi'lek, disgusted. "Yes, but you convinced him not to tell me about the command to brighten them for a month."

Halidrell huffed an amused breath of laughter, watching the byplay between the Sith's crew members, both of whom she'd met at various points during his mission on Nar Shaddaa. "Sounds like things can be fun in between the mayhem and murder."

The Sith answered, equally jokingly. "What do you mean? The fun is the mayhem and murder."

Vette rolled her eyes again as Halidrell laughed out loud this time.

The Twi'lek had been the one to convince Deezl to hurry back to her office just in time to save her from Lord Rathari's goons, and Halidrell was grateful for that. The rogue Sith had decided that it wasn't worth his time to kill the woman in person, but had sent his best apprentice instead. Deezl and Vette had arrived just as the vile man was about to deal the killing blow.

After saving Setsyn and tracking down the Rathari, Deezl had kicked the man's body off the roof of the Network Access building after allowing Halidrell to watch him and Vette dismantle him utterly. But she had seen Quinn work too, during their very first meeting when the Exchange tried to move in on her operation, and was impressed with with the man's professionalism, if not his personality.

Quinn was continuing his narrative. "...and then you saw fit to rig my shower controls to operate backwards."

"That's because you were all, 'I'm Malavai Quinn and I have rules, blah-de-blah blah' when you joined up, Captain Stick-in-the--"

Deezl felt the need to intercede for Quinn's dignity. "Vette!"

"What? I was gonna say 'mud'."

"Anyway," the Sith continued, "Halidrell is the newest member of our crew."

Quinn's usually dour disposition brightened somewhat. He didn't smile, per se, so much as stop sneering. "That is excellent news, my lord. Having someone slightly less...well...Vette on the ship will be a welcome change."

"Oh, bite me, Starchy Drawers. You just don't know how to have fun... Welcome to the family, Halidrell!"

But Baras' former operative on Nar Shaddaa was no longer paying attention to the banter. She was mesmerized and horrified by the golden menace that had walked right up to her and was staring her in the face, eerily silent.

Deezl noticed the droid. "Ah. Halidrell, meet 2V-R8. He's gone a bit weird since I removed his voice circuits." The droid extended its hand, which Halidrell took with a bit of trepidation after glancing at Deezl to make sure it wasn't a bad idea.

Quinn spoke up. "About that, my lord. Was it truly necessary to flush the voice circuits out the airlock?"

Vette and Deezl both turned to Quinn and practically yelled simultaneously, "YES!"

Deezl didn't like the way the droid was continuing to ogle their new crewmember, so he drew and activated his lightsaber. He had no intention of using it, but he knew the sound was one that was very familiar to the droid. Sure enough, the so-called "factotum droid" snapped its head in his master's direction, then suddenly found it had factotums to polish (or whatever) in another area of the vessel.

Setsyn snapped out of her somewhat horrified reverie. "Strange droid, that one. Is it harmless?"

It was Quinn who answered that in a tone that made everyone look at him, intrigued. "Just don't ever let him give you a foot massage." He shivered briefly. "Ever."

Vette finally broke the tension with a laugh. "C'mon, Halidrell, I'll show you to the ladies' accommodations. Hope you don't mind sharing a room." She practically skipped ahead of the older woman.

"Oh, not at all...it'll be just like college again..."

I might have to do a second piece. I want to explore why Vette is okay with her even though she's a slaver and Vette's a former slave. I have a few ideas. Let's see if I'll have time to put them down on "paper".

Phyreblade: The details of Watcher X’s potential escape are never covered. This certainly has possibilities.

DarthSillyMonkey:

Mako popped in with some cover fire, allowing him to overturn the table Jory used to sit at, for cover.
This little detail connects so well with the beginning of the BH story. It feels like being inside Drokk’s head. That’s how he and Mako would remember the room. And then the connection with Skadge’s companion quest! Nicely done.

Frauzet: Yay for Sith and Jedi debating balance!

He recognized the urge as a consequence of their fight against Darth Ekkage, the result of him killing her, the remnants of the dark side, powerful emotions calling for more fuel.
The Dark Side having a hand in creating the very emotions that fuel it is part of the danger. I like that Ciner recognizes it.

Adwynyth: I almost forgot about Halidrell Setsyn. She could be a good asset in the future.

Going to add comments and a couple of replies when I get home from work :o

Minor reply - mostly to DSM/Marissalf

Good news! Thanks to me randomly actually enjoying writing her story, Amurri's been bumped to 'supporting cast' in my universe, up from 'post a story once every three weeks' like my consular/agent ;). After the backstory, I'll probably have 3-4 'miniseries' to map out where her story diverges from the game. Starting around Makebish, she gets her own story (told here, but much more significant than anyone gets but Ayrs/Veresia)

Comments (starting from my previous post on page 445)

@Striges - Really enjoyed your piece with Keleth Ur, although Marissalf stole my comment before I could post it!

@KimbriOnasi - Loved your agent story; the twist at the end, the references to dear old Sanju, the very Kaliyo-esque method of getting over the moping.

@Yoshi - " I've found Vik but he has me at knifepoint." is a sentence the trooper probably hears quite often (or says). liked your next piece with (the other outcast in that group) Skadge; it kind of underlines how poorly he fits with the Bounty Hunter unless your BH has a very specific personality. And now throwing in poor Ylenia and the smuggler crew - the plot thickens :rak_03: Thana, though :eek:

@Alaurin - Ah the Zardres/Andrik conversation. I ended up poking fun at it in my separate topic but Andrik really does have the worst timing. And people skills.

" the loud crack that echoed in the room when Kat’s armored fist connected with Aric’s jaw. "...hmm speaking of fantasies :rak_04:

“Oh, you are a naughty girl…..I like that,” Davil chuckled, winking at her as he slowly began to pull his shirt over his head.

...the head that isn't doing the thinking for him, tragically.

@Phyreblade - Really enjoying your smuggler stories so far - the Akaavi one was very nice (and sweet in an Akaavi-appropriate way). Really liked your Pierce/Jaesa piece, especially since we're getting Pierce's perspective on things.And the Kastiel/Quinn story - I'd guess there are combinations of people less likely to get along than Quinn and a bounty hunter but I can't think of many. Combined with your other BH piece, I really like her; she seems like she seems to...not quite enjoy the BH life....but at least be well adjusted to it.

@Frauzet - Great work with your infiltration of the Separatist stronghold on Ord Mantell; I like Nikeo recognizing where Giz has him beat and not even trying to lie about what's going on. I also like the contrast in Giz and Corso's reactions when they find out. Really liked the Ciner piece, too (And the pics on tumblr that went with it). Sadly, my warrior had a...less friendly...ending to that meeting, but I will do things differently next time.

@Magdalane - Like others have said, your Corso remains fantastic. I might have to steal him.

@Bright - Poor Ruth :( I do like Pierce dropping hints as to the effect she might have on Quinn's future (or lack thereof). And then the follow-up where she reveals the scars without meaning to reveal anything at all - I'm glad for the third, happier, story after those two ;). I loved your Wynston piece - Act 2 challenges the Agent on so many levels.

@Adwynyth - The ever frustrating Ashara. I actually kind of like her Gray-ish take on things, but which way she leans seems to depend on what day it is. Or what the weather is. Or who knows....

"Quinn, come out of your lair for a second."

:D to that and the Halidrell sighting!

@DSM: Drokk/Skadge, a match made in heaven. I do like that Drokk is self-aware enough to recognize he could have been Skadge. Now for your JC piece

"She landed and heard Tharan's blaster firing" - but he's a pacifist! And the heroic consular has a tail, the intrigue begins :cool:

Glad to see Juda again as well, she's one of the NPCs I always wondered what happened to, long term.

@marrisalf - Oh Ellis :( Agree with Bright re: Feeling sorry for a Lokin. Really liked your Sanju piece too; my poor agent botched the dialogue and left alone and depressed.

@elliotcat - really liked your different take on warrior/Quinn; it's understandable that the stories tend to focus on a romanced Quinn, but the betrayal can be just as bad even without that kind of relationship.

Character: Amurri (BH)

Prompt: Backfired Plans

Trigger: Some violence/unpleasantness

Notes: Part III of Amurri's backstory. No game spoilers.

Vryl had proven as good as his word, funny thing for a man known for nothing more than his jehaats. He’d gotten me in touch with a Bothan information broker nicknamed ‘Blasto’, whose information as pricey but damn good. Best this side of the Duros District if what Vryl said was true.

I hadn’t heard from Vryl in a few days – strange, but probably nothing to worry about. He’d agreed to lay low for a while, even sent his stepdaughter off to stay at some place called the Strell House in another district. It was supposedly home to some kind of charitable foundation, but I’d heard some nasty rumors about it over the past few days. Some guy named Paladius was responsible for those stories, but I’d never heard of him before. Not my problem, anyway.

Falthir Lok had set up shop on Corellia of all places, just off of Axial Park. Strange place for one of the usurper’s dogs to be camped out, but there must have been a reason. No doubt, the Republic had no idea what was going on under their noses. They never did. Such a large place was bound to have its share of di’kuts, but the Republic was something special. They’d sat and watched as my people had bled and died in the name of a promise we’d made to them, then made no effort to help those of us that survived.

It’ll be a cold day in Hell before I turn to the Republic for help.

Luckily, I didn’t need their help today. I piloted my rusty old Monreal through the orbital traffic lanes without any issue. Couple of patrolling fighters seemed interested in looking me over, but changed their mind on the way. Rest of the way was as clear as I could hope for; no hassles, no wasted time. I used those precious minutes to review the mission, check my gear. No point in making it all the way out here just to screw up my planning or miss my shot because I didn’t properly calibrate my blaster.

After I landed, I casually made my way off the ship. I cleared customs and the special CorSec security check at the spaceport without any real problems. One of the guards had tried to get cute, started talking about wanting to see what was going on under my armor. I let him know what I thought of that. Even his comrades had laughed, and he’d probably be able to have kids once the swelling went down. If not, not like he would have the chance to do anything about it. Good for a laugh from me, too, so I wasn’t too bothered.

The civilians I ran into on the way out were like all the others I’d met from the Republic. No clue about the galaxy around them, no idea of the monsters that stalked them, unseen in the shadows. To them, the war we had fought against the usurper was someone else’s problem, to be watched on the news but not something that truly mattered.

I spat contemptuously into a row of perfectly maintained flowers as I passed by them. There is no clearer sign of dar’manda.

Lok’s place was a nondescript apartment building; pinkish stone and faux-wooden shutters marking it as lower-middle class. Same kind of place Mom and the rest of us would have ended up in, if we’d ever stopped running. I ran a couple of scans on the place, but they came up empty. I didn’t like that, didn’t like it at all. To play it safe, I found a small café across the street. The owner was an angry looking man that was wider around the stomach than a rancor, only sold overpriced caf and pastries, but it gave me a good view of Lok’s hideout.

I’d been there for about two hours when I noticed a girl three tables over. She seemed interested in me, too interested. Didn’t like that, didn’t like her either. I sized her up before heading over – teenager, brown hair and brown eyes, careful eyes too. She was watching the café like I would have. Strange, not like the others I’d seen and run into while on Corellia. Didn’t look like a Mandalorian, didn’t seem like one of Lok’s dogs. Better to be safe, though.

She eyed me warily as I approached, but made no move for a weapon or comm. Instead, she motioned for me to sit across for her. Again – strange, unexpected. Wasn’t sure what to make of her yet, so decided to get right to it.

“You need something, girl?”

She turned a little red , but her voice was clear. “Um, sorry. I didn’t mean to stare, that was rude. My parents are always saying I’m going to get myself in trouble like this, but there’s always so much to see and explore. An entire galaxy to do it, too. Guess that’s why I’m looking forward to getting off world.”

Just a girl, then.

“Galaxy’s a dangerous place, too. Easy to lose a lot….everything.” I turned to leave, but was still curious about one thing. “Where are you going, anyway?”

She brightened visibly, reminded me of the times before…well before everything. “I’m going to Tython to train to become a Jedi Knight!”

“Galaxy’s a dangerous place for a Jedi,” I grunted.

“The galaxy being dangerous is why we have Jedi in the first place,” she retorted. Voice stayed calm though, hands weren’t shaking either. She’s got as good a shot as any.

I smiled wanly. “I meant no offense. What’s your name, anyway? Might need a Jedi friend if I live long enough.”

She regarded me with cool eye for a moment, but extended a hand out anyway. “Amitia Khoury. I doubt a tough Mandalorian like you needs a Jedi too.”

“Heh.” I shook her hand. Smart girl, too. “Amurri. Good luck with your training.”

With that, I turned and finally returned to my seat, carefully adjusting the settings on my scanner to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I saw someone walk up to Amitia and whisper something in her ear; my ‘Jedi friend’ got up and left immediately after, pausing only to wave enthusiastically in my direction.

The noon sun gave way to afternoon clouds, and the shadows shifted so that I was sitting in darkness lit only by the fluorescent bulbs of the cheap lighting the café. I wasn’t too happy about how many credits I was wasting on the place, but I wasn’t going to do anything until I was completely sure about this place. No sense in tipping my hand, even if me sitting there looked strange to the passersby. One Rodian, in particular, seemed put off by my presence. I shrugged. Can’t please everyone./i]

My scanner went off, alerting me to the presence of life forms in the apartment i'd been watching. Also looked like some heavy equipment, too. Looks like Vryl was right after all.

I slipped the owner the necessary credits, plus enough extra to keep his mouth shut until I was out of the line of fire. Then I made my way toward the target, stopping a couple of times along the way to take in the sights like a tourist would. Sun was going down, good for losing any followers, but also bad for noticing them in the first place. The path was clear, though, and I walked the remaining sixty feet to the building mentally mapping out the job ahead.

Vryl’s info placed Lok and his men on the third floor, single-family apartment with little done to upgrade it except for some minimal shielding installed around the windows. That was fine, only an amateur or a glory-hound would go in through the windows anyway – too noisy, too risky, too flashy. It was more important to get the job done than it was to look good doing it.

I double-timed it up the stairs, catching my breath for a minute when I got to the third floor. I checked the scanner – still three life signs in the apartment. One in the entry room, two seated at a desk in the next. No time or point in being subtle.

With a loud cry, I kicked the door in and hurdled into the apartment, spraying fire at where the life form reading was coming from. Only, there wasn’t anything there. Utreekov. Utreekov!. I never heard the hiss of the gas entering the apartment, never felt the thuds of stun charges against my armor. There was only the mocking laughter ringing in my ears, and the crushing sense of failure as my mother’s eyes bore into mine from the darkness that followed.

I woke up to the sound of my head pounding like drums. Arms strapped to a chair, right one doubly so. Legs tied to the chair as well. They’d taken my armor too, left me in little more than a light tank top and shorts.

As I narrowed my eyes, two figures came into view. Middle-aged man with a white goatee stained with black hairs he’d applied dye to and a Rodian. Not just any Rodian, though. He was paying attention to you for a reason. They didn’t have to follow you when they knew you were coming. I pulled against my restraints, making enough noise that the man heard and turned toward me.

“Well, look what we have here, boys, the Ordo girl.” Muffled laughter from the next room. The old man leaned in and cupped my cheek in his hand, caressing my face with his index finger.

“Last chance to let me go,” I offered. Then I spit in his face.

He just laughed. “You’ve got spirit, girl, but that won’t help you now. Or when Falthir gets here.” He leaned back in, started rubbing my leg with his left hand, moving up pas far as my thigh. “We know all about you and your upgrades. Not every day we run into a cyborg as…impressive as you.”

“Very impressive.” I smiled sweetly. “Only…I’m not right-handed.”

His eye opened real wide as I popped my left arm out of its restraint. He stabbed wildly at me with a knife, but I caught his wrist in my hand, heard his wrist snap loudly. The hut’uun was already on his knees, holding his wrist and crying like a child. I ignored him, using my free hand to tear my right arm free, and then my legs. After I was free, I found the old man’s knife on the ground behind me, and gripped it tightly.

He looked up, fear in his eyes. Good. “You can’t – “

I didn’t let him finish. Grabbed him by the hair on the back of his head and stabbed him straight through the throat with his own knife. Felt good to get my hands dirty again. Felt even better hearing him gurgle his last couple of breaths before dying. I searched him quickly, but he didn’t have anything of use on him. Then, I surveyed the room around me.

It took only a few seconds to find what I was looking for, a couple minutes beyond that to be fully armored and ready to go. Felt good to have my armor back on me and my pistols back in my hands. A Mandalorian without her armor is as naked as a newborn baby.

There were three men in the next room, distracted by a huttball match being displayed on the wall opposite them. Didn’t recognize their clan banners, but it didn’t matter. No armor, no honor, no chance.

I cut down the Trandoshan with a trio of carefully placed shots that formed a triangle of smoking wounds around his heart, and the second followed with a bolt straight through his head. Was kind of surprised a headshot finished him off, didn’t seem likely there was much there to damage.

That left me with the last guy, the Rodian. He was shaking like a leaf in the wind, had no fight in him at all. As I stepped toward him, he dropped his pistol next to him and I could have sworn I heard something dripping down his leg. I just laughed – he wasn’t getting away no matter what he said or did.

I picked him up by his neck and threw him back into his chair. “Where is Falthir Lok?”

His eyes were wild with fear, and he didn’t seem to hear me. “Wha-wha-what?”

“Where is Falthir Lok?” I slapped him across the face. When that didn’t work, I backhanded him with an armored gauntlet. Didn’t hold back, no point in doing so. Bastard deserved every bit of pain he got.

“I d-d-don’t know. I-i-I-I’m just a watcher.”

You’re just a chakaar, you mean.” I snorted, then grabbed the scum by his arm and dragged him into the room they’d been holding me in. Strapped him in and left him there while I inspected the desk that passed for their command center. There were a bunch of data pads, way too much info to get through while I was exposed like this. I sifted through them, hoping to get lucky. I did.

I found the contract for Andros Vryl on the second one I picked out of the pile. Vryl and his wife, Lyannara Dray, her daughter too. Damn. I still had the dummy HoloNet account to contact Vryl through, but it might already be too late. Damn. Damn. Damn. The rest of the pad was worse. Full profile on me; images, known associates, everything. Even a ten thousand credit bounty on my head. I guessed they were still mad about the small outpost on Chakkara IV I’d blown up.

Only good thing was it looked like Lok was keeping this in house for now. If I could find Falthir, I could probably take care of this crap too.

I heard some shuffling from the Rodian in the backroom; not trying to get free, just trying to get my attention. I sidled over to him and glared hard enough to make him shut up. “What?”

“Y-y-you can’t leave me like this You c-c-can’t.”

I snorted. “Why not?”

He blanched, obviously thought I was some soft-hearted fool to be easily swayed. “I-I have a family.

Felt a vein in my forehead about ready to pop. “So did I. Before people like you and Falthir Lok changed that.” I brushed some trash that’d gotten stuck to my armor, then looked more closely at him. “You’re right, though. Wouldn’t be right leaving you here like this.”

The Rodian relaxed.

I pulled my pistol from its holster, and fired two shots into his head. What was left of it slumped down onto his chest, staining It with blood and viscera. I spat on him, too. It sizzled like a piece of meat might at a restaurant.

As I returned to my ship, I wasn’t sure how I should feel. The ambush had been amateur, the kind of thing any street thug would have come up with. Beating it was nothing, like celebrating outfighting a small child or Mantellian farmboy. But – I also knew more than I had when I had first come to Corellia, and I knew a man that could help me find out more.

As I strapped myself back into the pilot’s seat, I called up the list of contacts Uncle Jicoln had provided me. This one would be tough. Fabulously wealthy, but also a complete ***** and unlikely to be fond of me, in particular. Only shot I had, though, so no point in whining about it.

I set course for Kuat.

Character: Malicineve (SW)

Prompt: Working out the Kinks

Notes: Set very early in Act I. No spoilers other than who the warrior's first companion is.

I poked the Twi'lek's body with the toe of my boot, making sure not get any of the drool coming out of her mouth on my shoe or clothing. I did not understand what the issue was. Perhaps there was none, and it was merely the Twi'lek herself that was defective.

"Vette," I said in my most pleasant of tones. "Vette." I kicked her again, this time in the stomach. "I demand you return to consciousness, Vette."

Nothing was working, and I did not want to have to face Baras and ask him to revive my pet.

As I waited for a reaction from Vette, I inspected the inner workings of the control device for her shock color. Regrettably, it appeared I had installed batteries that were too strong for it, causing its shock to be somewhat stronger than I had anticipated.

Fortunately, it appeared the wounds were not fatal - I would have been quite cross to lose my toy so soon after having it given to me. The Twi'lek was already on her side, gasping for air and grousing under her breath. I carefully opened an acceptable amount of distance between us and tapped my foot loudly and repeatedly. "You have delayed me for too long, Vette. How could you be so clumsy?"

"You shocked me," she screeched. "How is that my fault?"

"You tripped," I argued, convincingly. "You tripped and fell. On some electrical wires, which is why you are displaying the trademark aftereffects of shock."

The Twi'lek eyed me suspiciously as she began walking toward the shuttle that would take us to the Imperial fleet. "I'll be in our cabin. Try not to murder anyone on your way."

Character: Olympia (JC)

Prompt: Mixing it Up

Notes: The return of Hay'de, sociopathic consular (but not THE Consular) that belongs to my friend. No spoilers.

The Council had decided that the mission to defeat Vivicar was too important to risk the possibility of failure. I looked forward to meeting my temporary partner, a fellow sage named Hay’de that I had heard was unorthodox. Though I knew better than to stray from the Council’s teachings, it was still intriguing to encounter those that did so. That was why it was always fun to work with Amitia; her methods were often times so delightfully out of the box that I almost felt tempted to consider them when on my own.

Qyzen and Tharan had already boarded the ship, but my erstwhile partner was late. I was not bothered; the Order had taught me well, and emotional outbursts over trivial offenses were both unproductive and easily suppressed. Indeed, he was just giving me more time to collect my thoughts and gather myself before we departed on my ship.

At least, about fifteen minutes late, the hanger doors opened and Hay’de appeared. He was a thin man, about my height, and was accompanied by some sort of droid that I did not recognize. As he approached, I smiled gently, knowing that I needed to demonstrate the balance that we would require to succeed in our mission. He caught sight of my smile and nodded – half-heartedly, as if unsure of what to do. That was strange, but it was to be expected from an unorthodox Jedi like him.

When he was within physical reach of me, I extended my hand and gripped his in a firm handshake. “Jedi Hay’de, it is an honor to work with you. With the Force behind us and the wise teachings of the Order within us, Lord Vivicar will be stopped once and for all.”

Strangely, he gave me a look that suggested I had just taken a public oath of loyalty to the Emperor. “Yes, of course. I can’t wait to show you what a real Jedi can do.” He flashed a toothy smile that made me somewhat physically ill.

“Of…course. We are a team, though, so I would hope you are not considering-“ I was unable to finish my sentence.

<Irritated statement: is this one to be terminated, master?> The droid’s voice was almost as harsh as its words. <Plaintive notation: We have gone too long without action, master.>

I frowned. Hay’de was proving to be quite a bit more than unorthodox, and his droid was something worse. I felt sweat form on my forehead as I ran through some calming techniques to maintain my composure.

“Please, Hay’de. The mission we are about to embark on is a very dangerous one. We must remain true to the teachings of our Order so we do not suffer the same fate as so many others.” Surely he would understand that. “We must maintain our equilibrium.”

Hay’de merely winked at me and motioned for his droid to board the ship. It muttered something about sniping people from a thousand yards, but complied. Then, it was the master’s turn, though he paused just long enough to speak one last, terrifying, sentence to me. “We’re going to have a great time, Olympia – you’re going to see things you’ve never seen before.”

Then he slapped me on my rear, just hard enough for me to feel it through my robes.

As I watched him board the ship, I felt a chill in the air. I hoped it was just that, and not the first hint of Dark Side corruption that would lead to me jettisoning Hay’de and his droid into outer space.

Not that I am considering that.

Edited by Lesaberisa

A whole slew of comments incoming:

@elliotcat, Oh Quinn as a relative of the SW — that’s good! It’s just as painful to see the aftermath of the incident with him as family as it is with him as the LI.

@Yoshi, I never imagined Thana as a love interest type, mostly because I wanted to shove her into a pit of rakghouls the whole time I was no Taris. :D (Maybe she’s less obnoxious with a male character.) But you’ve made her much more palatable here. I dare even say I’d like to see more of her time with Methic on Taris. Good job.

@DSM, Going back to Hutta, seeing Juda in a similar situation, must have been painful for Mako. I like the way you brought those tidbits from the agent starter in there as well. Makes the events feel more connected, which is nice.

@Phyreblade, I like what this is setting up. The stakes are high, and the prospect of failure daunting. Connecting it all with Watcher X makes for a whole lot of intriguing possibilities.

@frauzet, Ciner makes an excellent point about the balance of the Force. Without both sides willing to make concessions, nothing will ever change for the positive. I could see a SW persuading Timmns to join him under different circumstances, and with such a persuasive, level-headed argument.

@Adwynyth, Oh my gosh, “golden menace.” I laughed way too loud at that. And I cannot unsee the mental image of Quinn getting a foot massage from the droid.

@Lesaberisa, Amurri meets Amitia! This was an excellent part of the story, especially watching Amurri quickly regain control of what could have been a very bad situation.

Nothing was working, and I did not want to have to face Baras and ask him to revive my pet.

I’d like to see that conversation, lol. Malicineve’s though process is always fascinating (and hilarious) to read.

Olympia and Hay’de should be a lot of fun. Unorthodox indeed.

Reply under the tag (because agent spoiler)

I guess Sanju would have been a good addition to the team of a light side agent. I am almost sorry now, he didn't survive mine.

If Fenn'rys wasn't so calculating, I would've dug Sanju... as it was, I think I helped get him killed.

@DSM & frauzet, That’s precisely what happened with my male sniper. While Kinka was pure DS in the beginning, she had a weakness for cute guys and ended up taking Sanju’s LS suggestions to sabotage Chemish’s errands. But on the male sniper I went pure DS — and was shocked at the different outcome. I don’t think I’d have the heart to do that again. Did not see it coming.

I liked the interaction between Kinka and him, and an interesting what if story there, if Sanju had gone with her would it have changed her and Vector getting together?

You know, I’m curious about that now, too. Might have to explore that in a What If sometime ;)

Didn't think I'd finish this tonight, but it came together a little easier than I thought. Continuing Mel's story with a little Loneliness and Solitude. And thanks to everyone who read and like the last part. :)

Title: The Good Fight

With Mel & Ellis, about 1700 words

Spoilers: None!

The tracker Kinka had embedded in Ellis’ glasses pinged the lost scientist’s location four hours after the Elektra crew started gearing up for its extraction mission. Mako briefed Mel on the destination — some backwoods desert planet called Sarafur — and they set out for the two-week trip to the core-world planet.

Kinka had fought to come with her daughter, but Mel refused to let anyone tag along, a rarity for such an ambiguous mission. There was always safety in numbers, and having backup had saved many a hunt gone wrong, but Mel was insistent. Ellis wouldn’t trust anyone but her. If he was unstable and a danger to himself, he’d need to see a friendly face.

Mel blinked against the blinding sun glinting off the sugar white sands as she removed her visor and slid off the sputtering speeder. The Praxon Echo — a splurge for her birthday two years earlier —shuddered with relief as Mel turned off the motor. There was no way anyone was making it this far into the desert on one of the spaceport’s ancient rentals. Or at the very least, they wouldn’t be making a return trip. Mel hoped her favorite speeder would perk up again after a nice rest. It would have to.

According to the tracking device, Ellis was somewhere inside the outcropping of rock that stretched skyward at least several hundred meters. Scattered around the only visible entrance were columns and other architectural ruins, all in various states of deterioration. This place had been something once, but from the way the sand had swallowed some of the stone chunks, it had been quite some time since it had seen its zenith.

Mel scrambled over the rocks and debris and left the brilliant sun behind for the creeping darkness of the cave. Her eyes were still adjusting to the limited light when she heard a shuffling a few feet ahead, followed by a flash and the telltale sound of a blaster shot. She dropped to a crouch and slid behind the largest rock she could find.

“Stay away!”

Despite being shot at, she breathed a little easier. At least he was alive.

“It’s OK, Ellis, it’s me. It’s Mel.”

Silence.

“Don’t shoot, OK? Let's just talk a little bit.”

Mel eased out of her hiding spot and crept forward, careful to keep within leaping distance of the big rock. She was confident Ellis wouldn’t use the blaster again, but she hadn’t survived this long by being careless.

“I had to come,” he said listlessly. “She said she needed me.”

“Who?”

“It was a lie.” He was scarcely aware of her presence, more reciting his thoughts to himself than anything else. “She wanted you.”

Mel struggled to make anything out in the dim light of the cavern. The only light came from a dying lantern at Ellis’ side and the headlamp she was thankful she’d remembered to bring along. How long had Ellis been here, she wondered.

“Talk to me, Ellis. I need you to talk to me.”

“My mother.”

Mel opened and quickly closed her mouth. She was certain he’d told her his mother had died when he was a kid, but it didn’t seem wise to make him get into that yet. She eased forward, careful not to make too much noise. He seemed like anything might startle him, and he was unstable enough as it was. His clothes were caked with mud and dust, pants ripped off at the knees. Bones of various sizes were piled up a few feet away from him. Mel felt a sickening sense of dread.

“Ellis.” She didn’t want to ask. The answer wasn’t going to do anything but make her sick. But she had to know how bad he was, if it was even safe to bring him back to the ship. She swallowed the lump in her throat. “Where’s your mother now?”

He shook his head and raised a lifeless hand in the direction of the bones.

Mel gasped. The sound that echoed off the rocky walls was unfamiliar in her ears. “You didn’t!”

Her revulsion seemed to shake Ellis from his malaise. He perked his head up and turned to stare of the remains. “What? No! No, I didn’t.” What she was reacting to finally seemed to dawn on him.

“I killed her. When I got here, I— It wasn’t what I though it was going to be. She only sought me out because she thought I’d bring you with me. They wanted you to come here, probably so she could join you. I tried to holo you, but the electronics were fried. When I went to get out of here, the speeder wouldn’t start.”

He wobbled to his feet and leaned against the stone wall. “The animals came a couple days after, attracted to the smell, and I picked them off. It worked well for a while. But they stopped coming a week ago.”

“Oh, Ellis.”

She let down her guard and took a step toward him, finally able to get a glimpse of him in the shallow beam of light. Ellis was a gaunt phantom of the man she knew, skinnier than he’d ever been. And in just a few weeks’ time. His eyes were vacant, dull. Skin pulled taunt over sharp features, bone just millimeters beneath. It was a wonder that he could stand at all, all skin and bones, and not a minute later, he dropped back to his knees. “You need to go.”

“No.”

“This is it for me, Mel. I’m either going to die here or they’re going to take me. You’ve got to get away from this place. I don’t know what it is, but they’re strong here. Haven’t shut up since I set foot in this miserable hole.”

He was right. That queasy sense of foreboding was still there. She’d only thought it was the notion that Ellis had resorted to cannibalism making her sick. It was impossible to shrug it off now. The air seemed thicker all of a sudden, the walls a little bit closer than they’d been a few minutes before. An infinite blackness stretched far into the cave, the void crying out with thousands of fervent voices. Mel squeezed her eyes shut. It’s just an illusion.

“I’m not going,” she told him. “We’ll get you back to the ship and we’ll figure out a way...”

Ellis buried his head in his hands. “I have nothing else to offer you. This is going to happen no matter what. All that was keeping them out was sheer willpower, and I have nothing left to give. There’s no reason for you to stay here for this.”

Mel sat beside him on the floor of the ruined temple and pulled her knees to her chest. “How long do you have?”

He shrugged almost imperceptibly, the movement taking more effort than he could spare. “Not much longer. I can feel them yelling now. Crawling across the synapses, moving behind my eyes. It’s just a matter of when I lose my grip on me.” He looked away, brushed the hair out of his face. “Not long.”

“Is this my future?”

He hesitated, and she knew the answer.

“I’m sorry, Mel. I’m so, so sorry. I failed you. I thought, stupidly, that I could be cleverer than they are. But they’ve had this in the works for years. They knew I was coming. I was stupid not to see it before. Of course they knew. They’re in my head; they’re in yours.”

“Watching us,” she murmured.

Mel fought the heaviness of tears welling her eyes. It was no use mourning life now, not when Ellis was so close to slipping away. Not when he needed what little comfort she could offer. She slipped her hand into his and stroked the thin, frail skin.

“Thank you, Ellis, for everything you did for me. You gave me back my mother, and that’s more than I ever thought possible.”

“I couldn’t save us,” he whispered.

“You did enough. None of the other matters. You were good, Ellis. And—” She drew in a sharp breath. Keep it together, Mel. You cannot cry now. Just hang on a little longer. “and I really liked having you with me these past couple months.”

He offered what passed for a smile in his weakened state and closed his eyes. “Thank you.”

They sat alone in the waning daylight for hours. Mel kept her eyes shut, concentrating on keeping the voices out. A periodic wheeze marked Ellis’ labored breathing. He was getting weaker by the minute, and he knew it too. As the last whisp of daylight died away at the entrance of the cavern, Ellis’ soft voice cut through the suffocating quiet.

“You need to get away. The closer you are to their nest, the quicker it will happen. Everything...everything to get you here,” he murmured. Ellis looked on her face with wet, wide eyes. One last time with his eyes. “This is it, Mel. I can’t...I can’t...” His face was in the dirt, his hands clawing furiously at nothing. All the while he continued to mutter. “I can’t...”

“Please don’t—”

“No!” He sucked in a rattling breath. The writhing ceased, and his body went still. For a moment Mel feared he was dead. But slowly he brought himself onto his knees, head hung low, and finally he raised it to look at her.

Mel couldn’t stop the gasp that followed.

His eyes were the telltale obsidian that marked the Joiner’s change. What little life had remained in them before was gone now, nowhere to be found in his vacant stare. But his face glistened with the tears of a battle hard-fought and wearily lost.

“Please,” he whispered with some effort, “Mel, please kill me.”

“Ellis...”

“Mel—” He tried again to plead with her, the words gurgling in the back of his throat, the spark of his old mind mounting one last stand before being extinguished entirely. “Join us, Melodai Hyllus. Bring the killiks to a new age. We will take back what we lost, make a way for the new life that swells within our nests.”

Mel backed away from the doctor’s figure, fumbling to unholster her blaster. Not wanting to take her eyes from him. He was gone now. She repeated it to herself again and again. He was gone. And she’d continue to repeat it every time she remembered the small, peaceful smile that parted his lips as he lay lifeless at her feet.

*rolls up her sleeves* Let's get down to business

To defeat this heap of stories that have not yet been graced by my priceless attentions

Did they send me crack fic

When I asked for...actually I don't think I registered a preference, so, you know, whatever.

...I've been skipping some stuff with violent content advisories, please don't think this means I hate you.

@all, thanks for the kind words on Wynston and Egrin. Wynston remembers his old partner quite vividly, even if he can't forgive his ultimate decision to defect. Egrin's high on the list of people his subconscious might dredge up while under extreme stress. Especially under those professional circumstances.

@DarthSillyMonkey, eee, she surfaces again! Am I bad for hoping Tharan gets utterly outfoxed in whatever is to come? I really liked your Jedi's centering exercises after combat, that's a very Jedi touch. Then, with Drokk'it, nice revival of the places and people of Hutta. I love the Skadge reputation...stars know somebody somewhere has reason to be afraid of him. Meanwhile a Bounty Hunter could use someone of Juda's skills.

@Phyreblade, ah, extorting credits out of Quinn to more or less save his dignity...brilliant move! Kastiel's got quite the head for business. I see Quinn as the type to wring tears out of absolutely any officer who steps out of line. And then Kastiel with everybody's favorite Watcher. I like that he managed to identify and trace her; there's an intriguing setup. Good chapter all around.

@YoshiRaphElan, I don't mind seeing or'dinii as Skadge's personal nickname...don't know how he would take to it as a habitual thing, though. As for Methic and Thana - don't do it! Methic, don't do it! That way lies crazy! I love the visual of a blushing Jaesa giving two messy Sith some space.

@alaurin, nudging at the edges of forum safety! Nice to see Tiannya can take care of herself, since nobody else is really in a position to save the day just then.

@marissalf, I love Kaliyo as the "scary bald friend." What would Sanju have done, I wonder, if she really had tried to give him a spin? And then Kinka! "You almost make me believe it's worth trying" is a great line. As for Ellis, "Crawling across the synapses, moving behind my eyes" is wonderful for someone of his education and mindset. Your last two paragraphs hit hard.

@JJnado, it's ridiculous trying to get "subdued" into an outfit. You're welcome to add a story about your sniper's search, if you want!

@frauzet, I'll echo Striges, the tug of the Dark Side after a moment's feeding was a good touch. I love confusing Master Timmns...serves him right after the head games he plays.

@Adwynyth, any setting that starts with "A perpetually annoyed Quinn" has my stamp of approval :p . Great, silly stuff.

@Lesaberisa, Malicineve's demand for Vette to wake up...oh, Sith accustomed to power. You're all insane. The "You tripped" thing places the whole situation in gut-wrenchingly chilling territory. That kind of coverup excuse is scary. Then...Olympia! Getting dirty looks from Hay'de and HK alike! The last two paragraphs, for such a good Jedi, are priceless.

Separate for Warrior spoilers:

@elliotcat The realization of just how deep Quinn's plan went is wrenching. A setup from the start, to use a Sith to curry favor with a Sith...both ambitious and heartless.

Edited by bright_ephemera

You’re Invited, Wynston, post-game, Agent Act 3 spoilers. This is when he’s setting up his behind-the-scenes agency. 500 words.

Wynston folded his hands behind his back and waited for the holo encryption to come online. When it did he faced the image of a tall dark-eyed woman, severe in a well-fitted Intelligence uniform.

“Good to see you, Keeper,” he said. “I have my ship. I have some staff. I’m fully prepared to act as an Imperial-aligned but independently managed agency. Where am I needed?”

“Corellia is still far from a settled question,” she said briskly. “If you can undermine the resistance there, and extract the staff that got scattered by the Sith, that will go a long way toward solidifying our hold on the sector.”

“Consider it done.”

“If you need any additional resources, contact me and I’ll see what I can do.”

“Yes, about that.” Time to see just how much he could integrate. “There’s one possibility in particular.”

“What’s that?”

“You could come with me.” The flush that accompanied these words startled him; he had flippantly suggested it a dozen times, it was just that this time he meant it. “Drop off the radar, stay on the Tenebrous.” Stay where sane people were in control. Move his fixed point in the cosmos to the safety of the shadows. He would have to be an idiot to see a chance to do the supporting for once and not take it. “I’m a Cipher, not an administrator; I could use someone of your skill set. The Empire could use someone of your skill set.”

“Which is why I’m needed where I am,” she said crisply. “I’ve...considered the possibility. But while I can direct a lot of resources your way, I can’t misplace myself. If anyone is to maintain some continuity with the remains of Intelligence it has to be me. I’m the one our agents recognize. I’m the one in a position to keep the Minister’s job secure.” Her voice lowered. “And I’m the one who’s dealt with the Sith so far. It’s critical that I stay where I am.”

Not the answer he had hoped for, but the one he had expected. It was funny, in a way, given their history together, and he found an easy grin. “I must ask. Do you just say ‘no’ to me on principle?”

“No.” A faint smile softened her face, a welcome mirror to his laugh. “For what it’s worth, I believe you’ll adapt to your new role quickly. You’re a fast learner, even under pressure. I’ll offer you all the support I can, but the long-term goal, for the day I’m not there, is standalone management in the Empire’s interest. That’s your job.”

“Don’t think my standalone management will ever render you redundant, Keeper. But you can count on me.”

“I know, Cipher. I wouldn’t ask anyone else.”

That was all that needed saying. He shot her a parting smile, glad to have seen hers, then cut the line. He had work to do. His Keeper would stay where she was needed, keeping both eyes on things, just as she always had. It was enough for him.

Imperial and Republic Corellia spoilers:

Of course, the Republic tears through Corellia and shakes off the Empire’s grip. Well, at least Wynston manages (between drinks) to rescue a chunk of staff that got thrown into the fire by their new Sith overlords after the formal dissolution of Imperial Intelligence.

Wynston hits on Watcher Two/Keeper on a regular basis. The answer has always been no.

Oh! Spoilery Agent question re: Balmorra:

Is it possible to get Sanju actually killed? My Dahlia took the first option DS (keeping the explosives enabled) then took the second option LS (with the list of names) and went back and took the DS option to blame Sanju, and Chemish just gave me a dirty look and said she'd let Grey Star decide what to do with us. Obviously Wynston always went neutral/LS rather than trying to throw Sanju under the proverbial bus. So...is it possible to get him killed?

Oh! Spoilery Agent question re: Balmorra:

Spoilery answer

You can definitely get him killed. When I played through with Kinka, I did the same thing (DS for the explosives, LS for the list), no harm done. But on my male sniper I went DS for the list as well. Chemish was irate because apparently Sanju goes ahead with his plan to warn the targets anyway. I didn't even choose the option to blame Sanju, but she ended up shooting him no matter what conversation choice I took.

Comments

@Adwynyth: If he had met her earlier my SW probably would have been willing to trade Halidrell for Vette. But that was before he spent some time with Quinn.

@Lesaberisa: Glad to hear we will see more of Amurri.

I really enjoyed your chars meeting. Will be interesting to see when they meet next and if they remember.

You tripped
and I giggled.

Hay'de seems to be some kind of trial destiny puts your JC through. I, too, think this will be interesting.

@marissalf: What a hard decision for Mel, I suppose she will remember this often.

@bright_ephemera:

Not the answer he had hoped for, but the one he had expected.
Some questions have to be asked nonetheless. And to know that Keeper had considered the possibility prior to him asking must be worth something, too.

I posted some screenshots of the conversation to bright's spoilery Agent question on tumblr. Part 1, part 2, part 3.

Lesaberisa: I like Amurri’s backstory. Malicineve is wickedly evil as usual. And Hay’de. Oh my. We have so many lightside Sith running around, it’s very interesting to see a darkside Jedi.

Marissalf: Oh, heartbreaking. Ellis may have been creepy, but I still felt bad for him all the way around.

Bright: Watcher Two/Keeper, always Moneypenny to Wynston’s Bond. Nice, I can hear her refusal in her voice.

Thankee again for all the kind comments. :D

Part two of this piece while I'm thinking about it and have a few minutes...

Prompt: You're Invited (continued)

Characters: Deezl (Juggernaut), Vette, Quinn, and a guest

Timeline: Chapter 1 - Nar Shaddaa

Spoilers: Nar Shaddaa Warrior class story

"Just don't ever let him give you a foot massage." Quinn was saying with a shudder. "Ever."

Vette broke the tension with a laugh. "C'mon, Halidrell, I'll show you to the ladies' accommodations. Hope you don't mind sharing a room." She practically skipped ahead of the older woman.

"Oh, not at all...it'll be just like college again...we can braid each other's hair."

Vette looked over her shoulder, rubbed the top of her head significantly and laughed.

"Well, you can braid mine, anyway. I dunno what I'm supposed to do with lekku."

"I'll show you the machine later...it's just like waxing a pair of round, very squiggly floors*."

"I'm sure you'll explain that. Somehow. ...Oh, this is quite nice. Kinda cozy." It was a small room, but had several decorations, and was sensibly laid out to maximize space.

"Yeah, it's kinda small...it's a small ship. But it feels like home."

"Oh my, is that a...that can't be a dorva vine! How...?"

Vette strolled over to the miniature flowerpot. "It is. Just don't move it from here...see the lights? I had to track the bulbs down from halfway across the Galaxy. It's hell getting these to grow any place other than Corellia, and I found out it's because of their sun. Something about the light."

"Oh, it's beautiful...and Flandorian flowers...Dalsa flowers...you've got quite a green thumb."

"Nope...all red, just like the rest of me."

Halidrell laughed. She really did feel at ease with the mercurial gunslinger. "So these all come from different places...which of these did you come from?"

"None of them, actually. They just make this place feel like home."

"Vette..." The former slaver began, not quite sure how to continue. Simple honesty seemed right for this woman. "I saw the marks the first time we met...occupational hazard, I'm afraid. You used to be a slave...and up until an hour ago, I was a slaver. Why don't you hate me?"

The Twi'lek just looked at her, a neutral expression on her face, and gestured to one of the two chairs at a small table. Vette herself took the other one, turned it around, and straddled it. "Halidrell, did you grow up wanting to be a slaver?"

The older woman was taken aback. "No, of course not. I wanted to be a singer. I used to have a quite nice voice, back in my youth. But things just didn't work out that way. I ended up on Nar Shaddaa, and...well...I guess I didn't have much choice."

"Exactly. I didn't grow up wanting to be a pirate, or a slave, or a tomb raider, or hired muscle for a Sith...but I didn't have much choice either. You worked for old man Baras, right? How did he get you into the racket?"

"Well, he stopped a squad of Imperials from shooting me for stealing their food and said, 'You work for me now, child. Do as I say, and I will not kill you.'" Her imitation of Baras' authoritarian tone was devastatingly accurate. "So, given a choice between preparing, buying, selling, and shipping slaves and evisceration by a lightsaber, I chose the option that had a better dental plan."

"Same with me, really. Except I think Deezl turned out a bit nicer. I was rotting in a jail at the Sith Academy on Korriban, and destined to be shipped offworld and sold to somebody."

"What happened? Baras?"

"Kinda. Deezl had just started working for Baras, and he had orders to get me to break him into a tomb. He took me there in a collar, and he got his lightsaber, and Baras let him keep me. Then on the way to Dromund Kaas, I asked him to take it off and he did."

Halidrell's eyes opened wider. "So now you stay because you want to?"

"Well, yeah. He's sweet to me, and he usually has a reason for what he does, even if it's cruel. A lot of it is Sith politics and crap. But the point is I understand not having a choice. It led me someplace better, and maybe it has you now too."

"I guess you're right. I just can't believe you're so okay with bunking with a former slaver." She seemed still seemed embarrassed about her now-former career.

"Well, are you gonna try and slap a collar on me?"

"Stars, no!"

"Good. Then I don't have to shoot you." Vette bounced up and headed for the door. "My turn to cook tonight, then Quinn, then you. Dinner's in 10 minutes." She left, laughing at the look on the face of a shocked Halidrell.

This was going to be an interesting ride.

Referencing Vette's stock line about getting her lekku buffed.

I love red Vette. About 75% of my Vettes are red. :p

Edited by Adwynyth

Prompt - Alternate Perspectives

Title - The Final Battle–Jasin's Perspective

Class - Jedi Knight

No spoilers

As soon as the Imperial forces crested the ridge, Jasin leapt into battle. He slashed the arm off of the first soldier in line, then spun and stabbed a second. His Jedi team came in behind him, sabers of blue, green, yellow, and purple slashing through the Imperial forces. Jasin Force-pushed one of the troopers back into a heavy artillery column. A trooper with a rocket launcher, destabilized by the push, launched his missile straight into the air, where it detonated harmlessly.

Jasin deflected blaster bolts back at shooters, elbowed chins, slashed limbs, and decapitated soldiers. The battle went on gruelingly like this for minutes and minutes, during which the Jedi took no casualties. Then, a lucky blaster shot got through, killing a Rodian Jedi. Jasin felt the pain in the Force as the Rodian's life left his body.

Kira was right beside Jasin, her double-bladed lightsaber spinning. Blaster bolts flew back like raindrops, Imperials dropping like flies. But still they came. Jasin was beginning to sweat when he decided it was time to fall back.

"Inside the base!" he said.

The Jedi fell back through the force field and then ran inside the first row of buildings. The other half of his Jedi forces, waiting inside, spun and slashed apart the Imperials that came in after the retreating forces. However, in the close confines of the buildings, the Imperials' small-arms had an advantage, and they cut down two Jedi in quick succession.

Not pausing, Jasin led the Jedi through the second row of buildings. He cleared the building, coming out into the street. The building he had come out of was flanked by Akaavi and Torian, and the rest of the Jedi quickly leapt past them. Jasin counted down mentally.

Four, three, two...

By the time he reached three, all the Jedi were out. By the time he reached two, a pair of Imperial troopers had followed them. Akaavi and Torian stuck out their weapons, cutting down the Imps. Jasin grinned tightly.

One.

The bombs went off in unison, not damaging the buildings but their retracting mechanisms, and the buildings collapsed into their shipping positions, neatly crushing the mass of Imperial soldiers inside them. Jasin hissed victoriously.

Unfortunately, the battle wasn't over. Imperials charged over the now-flat buildings, firing. Akaavi, Torian, and the Jedi leapt in. Jasin steeled himself for a moment, lit his lightsaber, and charged.

Title - The Final Battle–Dha's Perspective

Class - Bounty Hunter

No spoilers

The last sabotage charges had just been planted when the Jedi sounded retreat. Biting his tongue, Dha quickly moved beside the doorway. Across the other side of the door, Corso Riggs waited, rifle in hand. A few buildings down were Akaavi and Torian, and then Skadge and Bowdaar. The other buildings were guarded by combinations of Dha's, Jasin's, and Dankin's crews, as well as the Republic soldiers under Madine's command.

The first Jedi charged out of the building. Dha pulled his blaster from its holster, ready for action. The next Jedi passed, and then the next. Five Jedi later, the first Imperial charged through, and Dha shot him in the head.

Two, one.

Dha rolled away from the building in unison with Corso, and the sabotage charges popped, collapsing the buildings. Dha heard screams over the Imperial comm channels, tightened his lips in grim satisfaction, and then rolled to his feet. Imperials were charging in now, rifles firing. Dha snapped off a pair of shots, cutting down two soldiers. Another got in close with a vibrosword, and Dha burnt him down with his flamethrower.

"Saboteurs headed for the shield generator!" Madine called over the comms.

Dha turned and sprinted that direction, Corso and Gault on his tail. Risha and Blizz snapped up their blasters and provided covering fire for them. Dha saw the saboteurs by the shield generator. He fired a timed rocket dart, which stuck firmly to one saboteur. The alarmed agent tried to pull it off, but it detonated, killing him instantly. Corso fired a shot from his blaster, killing another saboteur, and then stabbed another with his vibroblade.

Unfortunately, there were still two more saboteurs at work. Gault snapped up his sniper rifle and fired, killing one, but the last pressed the activation switch on his sabotage charge just before Dha blasted him in the back. Dha ran forward and checked the charge. He winced.

"No time to disarm it," he said. "Run!"

Dankin's and Prudii's Alternate Perspectives will be coming up soon.

Prompt : You're Invited

More early Corso and Mir

Spoilers for smuggler Ch 1 on Coruscant

Miriah sauntered into the inner room of the cantina, seeing Darmas Pollaran at the card table in front of her. She felt more than heard Corso growl when the older man silently appraised her, and she winked at him over her shoulder, hoping Corso would take the hint. “Come in, my dear. You’re looking lovely for having spent the day in the underbelly of this planet,” Darmas said.

“It has been a long one, and I’d love a drink,” she replied, shaking loose her long hair. Corso swallowed reflexively, his fingers flexing involuntarily. He so wanted to touch her right now. She continued her loose hipped walk over to the sitting area and arranged herself on the couch, knowing both men in the room were watching her every move. She leaned forward and poured herself a drink, nodding in approval at the Hutt tequila.

“Maybe you’d like to join me in a little game of sabacc,” he leered, and she felt Corso move closer to where she sat.

“Maybe later. First, I’d like to know where my ship and that scum Skavak is,” she said, already on her second drink. Darmas saw that she’d poured another and she could practically see the wheels turning in his head.

“I’ve told you all I know. Information is like a wanted present, it takes it’s time arriving,” he told her, pouring his own drink. “We could use this time to get to know each other better.” Corso actually stepped forward then, his hand instinctively reaching for his weapon.

“You’re too old for her, Darmas, surely you can see that,” Corso said through gritted teeth. If he touches her, I’ll kill him right here, he thought. When the older man laughed, Corso looked at his captain in confusion.

“We’re just talking here, farmboy, it’s all okay,” she told him, softening the nickname with another wink. He began to realize she had some scheme in mind, and relaxed a fraction.

Drink after drink, she matched the older man. It wasn’t long before Darmas was nodding off in his chair, and eventually just gave up and slept. Miriah stood, her words slightly blurred. “Corso, let’s go find some food and a shower,” she told him.

“You’re just gonna leave? You didn’t want to stay…with…with him?” he asked, seeing the slow smile spread across her face.

“He’s fine, just had too much to drink. He’ll wake up, remember that he was bested by a girl, and that will be that. He’s just a flirt, Corso, I never intended for anything more to happen.” She started out the door, and Corso looked back at the sleeping gambler. Sucker punched, he thought, by a little slip of a woman. He turned to follow her, knowing he’d been punched as well, and grinned at the thought.

Adwynyth: Vette always struck me as an adaptable, lemonade-out-of-lemons kind of person. I like how you described her room, and that neither Halidrell nor Vette ended up in their present positions because of real choice. That, at least, they have in common.

YoshiRalphElan: Clever use of folding temporary buildings. And another cliffhanger! Argh! Looking forward to the last set of perspectives.

Magdalane:

“He’s fine, just had too much to drink. He’ll wake up, remember that he was bested by a girl, and that will be that. He’s just a flirt, Corso, I never intended for anything more to happen.” She started out the door, and Corso looked back at the sleeping gambler. Sucker punched, he thought, by a little slip of a woman. He turned to follow her, knowing he’d been punched as well, and grinned at the thought.

I wish we could actually relate to Corso this way in game. As it stands, I like Miriah showing them both up without shooting Corso down.

Yikes.....I got behind fast. I've had a lot going on this past week including my muse deciding to fill my head with really naughty things (I've purged most of that.....not to worry), a bout of insomnia, an unprovoked attack by my clothes closet, which scared off my muse for a bit and gave me quite the knot on my head, and fun with power tools as I taught myself basic carpentry skills (I assure you, no one was hurt). I promise to catch up on my reading and update the Index once I get my little heathens.....err children in bed.

For now, gather round, it's story time. I have the next installment in Kat, TIa, and Val's Nar Shaddaa adventures, part of which I posted a teaser for on my Tumblr yesterday, and boy did this one get away from me. It's much longer than I'd originally anticipated (~5000 words :eek: ), but hopefully worth the wait and time it takes to read it! Here we go.......

Title: You Could Be Famous……

Prompt: Technology, some Fame

Character: Katrynka-BH, Mako

Setting: Nar Shaddaa, just after this.

Spoilers: BH and Trooper Nar Shaddaa

**warning: mild violence and some "adult conversation"

“You’re gonna love this, I frakkin swear!” Gele’ren told them, lekku twitching excitedly, “Anuli and I’ve come up with a plan that’s sure to draw Eidelon out.” Kat and Mako arrived at the Slippery Slopes to find Gele’ren and Anuli waiting for them with a plan.

“Didn’t you say that the last time?” Kat asked pointedly, swearing she could still feel her backside burning from the last brilliant scheme that didn’t exactly go according to plan. The young Cathar wasn’t in the best mood since the kidnapping debacle, worry for her sister and guilt over hitting Jorgan making her cranky.

“I really thought losing all those Republic creds would draw him out, but my sources say he’s on the move, just staying hidden. He’s definitely paying attention though,” Gele’ren defended himself, “and hey, it’s not my fault that stuff blew before you got your a*s out of that building.”

“Literally,” Mako snickered earning a scowl from Kat.

“What makes you think you’ve got a winner this time?” Kat narrowed those amber eyes at the portly Twi’lek.

“Because this time, not only are we going to cost him credits,” Gele’ren’s face lit up with a twisted grin, “We’re going to put him completely out of business and make him even more wanted than he is already!”

“Okay, you’ve got my attention,” Kat raised a brow, pushing the guilt and worry aside to focus on her hunt, “Keep going.”

“One of Eidelon Security’s slogans is ‘your secrets are our secrets,’” Gele’ren began, his eyes twinkling with mischief, “So what do you think would happen of all those confidential files were to be made public? I’m talkin’ every contract, every shady deal, all the security specs of every single one of the Eidelon’s clients….at anyone’s disposal.”

“His company would be history and the Eidelon would be in serious hot water,” Kat nodded, “I like this idea……so how do we make it happen?”

“By putting Eidelon Security’s records on the HoloNet,” Gele’ren answered, “Anuli’s working that out, so I’ll let him explain.”

“It’s not going to be easy,” the jittery young cyborg began, “For one thing, Eidelon’s HoloNet transceivers are in the Network Access sector under heavy guard. You gotta slice into those to get their records.”

“I’m sure Mako is more than capable of handling that,” Kat assured him, “and heavily guarded has yet to stop me from getting to something I want.”

“I have no doubt Mako can slice in, but those records are protected with Zees’ encryption program and he’s one of the best. The only way to get past those encryptions is by having Zees’ codes,” Anuli warned, “So before you can get those records, you’re going to need to get the encryption codes from Zees himself.”

“Zees is a Bith engineer,” Gele’ren added, “best HoloNet security expert money can buy. He won’t just give you those codes.

“Oh, I think I can convince him to hand them over,” Kat’s lips curved in a dangerous smile, baring her sharp fangs, “Where can I find this guy?”

“I’m sure you can, sweetheart…..I know I’d give you whatever you wanted,” Gele’ren winked at her.

Both Mako and Kat grimaced at that as a blushing Anuli shook his head and answered Kat’s question, “Zees is currently consulting for a republic company, Nebula Communications….”

“Easiest way to find him would be blasting your way into Nebula’s cooperate office in the Industrial Sector,” Gele’ren suggested, “Most likely Zees is there and if not, I’m sure you can force some security slug to tell you where he’s at.”

Kat sighed, exchanging a look with Mako. She knew this was the best shot at drawing out their target and she really wanted this hunt over with so she could deal with her more pressing personal matters. However, she wasn’t looking forward to breaking into a Republic company. She might not care to have official ties with them, but she didn’t consider the Republic an enemy…..especially since both her littermates served in some capacity.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Kat finally spoke up, “but we’ll get it done. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, Eidelon will be a corpse.”

“And once that happens, the Cartel is going to make me a full-fledged boss with my own clan!” Gele’ren clasped his hands eagerly, grinning like a child who just got that toy he always wanted.

Kat smiled at the jovial Twi’lek, “Well, I’ll try to take this guy out fast……I have other things I need to attend to and I just really want to put this planet behind me.”

“Really? I love this place!” Gele’ren gave her a questioning look.

“Let’s just say I don’t have the greatest memories of Nar Shaddaa,” Kat told him, Mako nodding her agreement as Anuli downloaded the information and coordinates for Zees, Nebula’s cooperate office, and Eidelon Securities datacenter to her datapad, “At any rate, we should head out……you ready Mako?”

“Yup,” the petite slicer nodded, holding up her datapad, “Just finished getting the info we need. I brought my slicing kit with me, so I’m good to go.”

“Good luck you two,” Gele’ren called out after them, “We’ll have a few drinks to celebrate the Eidelon’s demise when you get back.”

The two young women left the Slippery Slopes to begin the first part of the job. On the taxi ride over to the Industrial Sector, Kat called Balkar to let the Agent know where they’d be in case Risha got a beat on Tia’s location. The taxi landed just as Kat got off the Holo with Jonas and her and Mako climbed out, taking in the sights of the Upper Industrial Sector. A little concerned for her subdued friend, a curious Mako decided to ask what she’d been wondering since they left Val's ship.

“Hey Kat?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you have a thing for Jorgan?”

“Define thing.”

“You know…..do you like him?”

“Why do you ask?”

“There just seems to be tension between the two of you….”

“Eh, he’s got a pretty good bod, sexy voice, not to mention that he’s a member of my species…..so I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested in shagging him,” Kat admitted after pondering for a moment while they left the taxi pad lift, walking into the Upper Industrial sector, “But if you’re asking if I want to declare my undying love…..then no. I find him attractive, but he’s a little too uptight and bossy for my tastes. Besides, he’s got it bad for my sister and after our little reunion, I get the feeling she’s interested.”

“You know, I kinda feel bad for the guy,” Mako giggled, recalling that dream her, Val, and Elara interrupted, “First your sister breaks his nose, then you get him by the throat…..”

“Not to mention Tia keeps teasing him, and he had to hear her go off about what a pr*ck he was on Ord,” Kat finished, keeping an eye out as they carefully made their way through the Exchange section of the Upper Industrial Sector. So far, they’d been left alone, but Kat wasn’t expecting trouble from the Exchange or Cartel. She and Mako looked like the freelance mercenaries they were, little threat to either of those groups. However, she knew one wrong move could easily change that, and both women were careful to act as casually as possible while in those territories.

“To top it off, you jacked the guy in the jaw soon after he discovered your sister missing,” Mako chided as they continued on, “Talk about kicking someone when they’re down…..”

“Yeah, I feel bad about that now,” Kat sighed, “Especially after talking to him in Val’s medbay. He’s fighting his feelings for my sister and one of the reasons is because he thinks Tia’s too good for him!”

“Seriously?!” Mako raised a slender brow, then realized how that sounded, “No offence, but why would he think that?!”

“Because of who our family is,” Kat rolled her eyes, “You remember when Murghir was talking about my family…..both of my parents are descended from old, prominent bloodlines, my father’s being one of the oldest.”

“Let me guess,” Mako caught on, “Aric’s family isn’t”

“Apparently not.”

“So it’s a status thing?”

“To him it is,” Kat nodded, shrugging, “I could care less……kinda hard to feel like a member of elite society while living on the streets of Nar Shaddaa.”

“Yeah, I can definitely get that,” Mako snorted, wrinkling her nose at the filthy streets they were walking along, “This place doesn’t exactly scream upper crust.”

“Definitely not,” Kat smirked, “Anyways, a lot of that old world stuff started dying out after the Mandalorians decimated our homeworld. The Cathar that survived spread all over the galaxy, making new homes for what remained of their clans, and while clan Elders still hold a regular council, whose decisions are respected among our people, a lot of the society stuff didn’t matter to people as much after that…..especially those bloodlines that weren’t as prominent.”

“Shange’s clan still believes in it,” Mako countered, “and it’s obviously important to Aric and his family if it’s causing him to be hesitant.”

“Jorgan seems the type that would respect bloodlines even if his isn’t prominent,” Kat replied, “He’s not a bad guy come to think of it……just an arrogant a*s sometimes.”

“You sure you don’t like him?”

“Mako, do I look like the settle down type?” Kat rolled her eyes, “The most that would ever happen between me and Captain Moody is maybe some random, smoking hot sex. Seeing as he’s into my sister, that’s not going to happen and I could care less. I’m not exactly desperate for a man right now anyways and when I want one, I have little trouble getting one.”

“Just like that, huh?” Mako smirked, “and you think he’s arrogant.”

“I never said I wasn’t,” Kat shot back with a grin, “as for Shange’s clan, there are still a few that place importance on bloodlines and status. My father’s family was still really big into those traditions, but most of my mother’s clan had strayed from them. They’d even stopped making ‘proper’ marriages, something that was considered shocking to the old world traditionalists. My Mom actually fell in love with my Dad before knowing who he really was.”

“Really?”

“Yup,” Kat smiled at her friend, remembering how in love her parents were, “She’d just become an ambassador for our people and was very well liked already when she started getting threatening letters. Our father was assigned, by what I always believed was the military, to protect her. Not wanting to tip off her enemy as to who he really worked for, Dad took a job as her body guard under an assumed name. Over the next few weeks, they were together a lot and got to know each other, both developing feelings but never speaking them aloud. Then one night, they were ambushed just after a speech she gave at some high society function. Dad ended up taking four high impact bolts for Mom before they got out of there. He was wearing cortosis under his dinner jacket, but it wasn’t enough to protect him completely and they barely made it to the safe house. There was a medical droid there and Mom helped it treat Dad’s wounds. She stayed awake all night, afraid to take her eyes off of the handsome male she’d fallen in love with, finally falling asleep next to him in the bed. Dad woke to find Mom snuggled up to him and as soon as she opened her eyes, he told her he loved her.”

“Oh, Kat,” Mako sighed, “That’s the sweetest thing I’ve heard……well, maybe not the getting shot part.”

“Mom admitted she loved him too, then Dad told her who he really was,” Kat continued, never having tired of hearing the story of her parents’ meeting as a child, “At first Mom was nervous, knowing how old world and traditional his very prominent family was. She thought they wouldn’t approve of her because her family had gotten away from that. Dad was quick to assure her that his family would love her as much as he did and even if they didn’t, it was too late, there’d never be another for him since he found his Lifemate in her.”

“Lifemate?”

“Cathar mate for life,” Kat explained, “If one mate dies, the other will remain faithful, never seeking another.”

“So your Dad already knew your Mom was his Lifemate?”

“Yup,” Kat grinned, “and that’s all Mom needed to hear. Once the threat to her was over, her and Dad had the ceremony joining them for life. A few years later, Dad left the military….or so we were told, to work full time with Mom and that’s when we were born.”

“You still miss them very much, don’t you?”

Kat nodded, “We were so close. It was difficult sometimes with Mom being a public figure and people expecting Dad to step in as a clan Elder with the current one ready to retire.” Then she smiled sadly at Mako as she went on, “I look a lot like my mother, you know, except for the markings. Jakob, Tia, and I all have our father’s markings. Tia and I are both built like Mom with similar face structure, my cream colored fur and amber eyes are identical to hers like me.”

“Was your Dad silver like Tia?”

“No, he was tawny colored…….like Jorgan, with yellow eyes. Jakkob resembles our Dad, except his mane was the same color as mine whereas our father's was black,” Kat answered, “Tia’s silvery fur is rare……our uncle Mikhail is silver like she is. Actually, Tia really reminds me of him now…..he was a huge flirt and was known to charm the ladies to get what he wanted. I suppose that’s useful for an SIS agent and Tia seems to have inherited that particular talent.”

Mako laughed at that and Kat ended the story there, seeing that they were approaching the Republic offices and warehouses. She was actually feeling a little anxious as she eyed the uniformed soldiers in the streets.

“You alright, Kat?”

“Yeah,” Kat replied, “I’m just really not looking forward to fighting with Republic troops…..and Mako, this is something we’re going to keep from Jorgan and Balkar.”

“I understand and my lips are sealed,” Mako said, looking less than thrilled about what they needed to do herself. She liked Val and her crew as well as Elara. Even Jorgan seemed like a decent guy under that grouchy exterior and she didn’t want to do anything that would cause trouble for any of them, “From the information Anuli gave me, it looks like it’s just a small building, only the one entrance, with the main office in back.”

“Let’s just get this over with,” Kat sighed as put on her helmet, thankful she’d found one that at least partially concealed Mako’s face. Their identities should remain anonymous in any footage the Republic was sure to get of their break in, “Just keep cool, but be ready to fight if they come after us. I won’t start anything until we get inside that cooperate office, but you can be damned sure I’ll finish it if they do.”

Kat could feel the soldiers’ eyes on her as she and Mako entered the Republic area. Their hopes of getting to Nebula Communications were dashed when only a block in, a Republic soldier grabbed Mako by the arm as they passed by.

“And just what do we have here,” he demanded, eying both women.

“Just two girls meeting up with a friend who works around here,” Kat answered, her voice distorted a little from her helm.

“Somehow I don’t quite believe it’s that innocent,” a second soldier accused, bringing his rifle up, “Otherwise, why would you be so well covered and armed?”

“Look buster,” Kat shot back, thinking fast, “A girl like me has to be careful…..I get mobbed wherever I go, so when I’m out and about, I try to blend in a little…..as does my friend.”

“A girl like you?” the first soldier gave Kat a pointed look while still keeping a firm grip on Mako.

“Yeah, what makes you so special?”

“You boys ever hear of Kitty Lovin and the Playmates?” Mako drawled, her free hand going to her hip, thanking the stars for the HoloNet feed streaming to her implant. The new, all girl rock band was the rage lately and would be performing at the Promenade later in the week. The lead singer, Kitty Lovin, was a young Cathar, similar in size to Kat and one of the ‘Playmates’ was petite like Mako.

The two soldiers looked Kat and Mako over again, “How do we know it’s really you?”

“Yeah, let’s see some ID!”

“You honestly think I carry my real ID on me?!” Kat asked wryly, thankful for Mako’s brilliance.

“Well, take off your helmet then…..”

“I take off my helmet and ten minutes later, this place is gonna be mobbed with crazed fans!” Kat argued, pointing at one of the many security camera’s along the street, “Do you boys really want to deal with that?”

“Captain wouldn’t be happy about that, Sarge,” the second soldier told his partner.

“No he wouldn’t, Private,” the Sergeant agreed, grimacing as he imagined the dressing down they’d receive for causing a riot, “I know…….you can sing something!”

Oh damn, Kat thought, exchanging a look with Mako who smiled in encouragement, “Uh, well…..I can’t take off my helm, so it’ll be a little distorted…….”

“That’s alright.”

Kat cleared her throat as she frantically tried to recall the lyrics to her and Mako’s favorite song. Luckily, Kat was the type that liked to sing in the shower and her low, husky voice sounded decent. With the distortion of her helmet, she figured the soldiers might just buy it. She turned to the Sergeant, an attractive Human and put a hand on his chest as she belted out,

“Baby you’re a love maker,

a dream taker,

a heart breaker when you mess around on me,”

She shoved the Sergeant away and stalked towards the Private, her hips swaying provocatively as she continued,

“I’m a hot sinner,

jealous lover,

a cold killer when you mess around on me!”

A small crowd had gathered by the time Kat finished, cheering her on and both the Private and Sergeant completely enthralled with what they thought was a rock goddess. They begged her for an autograph, which Kat, who was always talented at forging signatures, gave and they left the star struck soldiers behind as they continued on to Nebula Communications.

“Wow, that was one hell of a performance, Kat,” Mako whispered, looking over at Kat, “I can’t believe it worked!”

“Thanks,” Kat told her, still a little shaken by the fact that she just sang and danced in front of a crowd, “Nice job coming up with that idea!”

“I just ran with what you initially told them,” Mako replied, “I started searching my HoloNet feed for famous young women currently on Nar Shaddaa. I saw Kitty Lovin and the Playmates come up and figured it was our best bet…….the only other option was a couple of famous p*rn stars here for a convention.”

“Glad we didn’t have to go with option two,” Kat muttered.

“Yeah, that would have been a bit harder.”

Harder huh?”

“Jeez, Kat,” Mako shook her head.

“You said it, not me…….we’re just lucky my voice passed well enough for Kitty Lovin under the helmet,” Kat sighed, shuddering at the thought of what would’ve happened if it hadn’t, “The only singing I do is in the shower and usually when no one’s around.”

“I’ve heard,” Mako giggled, “and you’re pretty good. Ah, here we are, Nebula Communications.” Mako pointed at the small building to their right.

“Let’s keep our heads covered,” Kat told her friend as they both charged their blasters, “I get the feeling we’re not going to get lucky a second time.”

They entered the building and taking Aric’s advice, Kat secured the door by locking it and setting a small explosive device that would go off if anyone tried to escape. Spotting the hallway empty, they quickly made their way to the main part of the building. Their luck ran out when a security guard spotted them from her post just inside the doorway.

“This is a private office,” she told them, blaster in hand as she took in their appearance.

“No need for trouble,” Kat calmly replied, “I’m just looking for a Bith named Zees.”

“I don’t think so,” the guard replied, raising her voice as she opened a panel on the wall, “Intruders in the building!”

“Dammit,” Kat swore, quickly shooting the guard, dropping her before she could hit the alarm switch. Another guard came running in from the back office and Kat took him out before he could finish drawing his weapon. By then, the office staff was panicking, most of them screaming as they searched for cover under desks and behind chairs.

“Everyone, please stay calm and listen up,” Kat called out, “I have the door locked and rigged. No one can enter the building and if anyone but me and my friend tries to leave, this place will blow. I promise, I won’t hurt any of you unless you attack me first. All I need is to find a Bith named Zees K’lin…..that’s it. I just need to talk to him, then we’ll be on our way and you can go back to your business.”

“He isn’t here,” one of the workers hiding behind a chair replied, a little too quickly for Kat to believe and she approached him, studying his face carefully.

“You sure about that?” she whispered, barely able to be heard over the whine of the blaster she put to the older man’s head, “How about you try again.”

“P-p-please,” he stuttered, “I have a f-f-family.”

“And I’d love for them to have you continue living,” Kat stated simply, “but that’s not going to happen if you don’t cooperate with me.”

“He’s in back,” a young woman whispered from under the next desk over, “Zees is in back…..please don’t hurt us.”

“I wasn’t planning on it,” Kat assured her, “The only reason those guards are dead is because they tried to stop me. Now, just stay where you are and no one else needs to get hurt.”

Kat and Mako crossed the large room and entered the doorway in back. They were stopped by two more guards at the end of the hall, who had rifles charged and ready.

“You’re not going any further,” one of the guards insisted.

“You have no idea who you’re messing with,” the other warned.

“Wrong on both accounts, boys,” Kat countered, raising her blaster, “I know exactly where I’m at, who you’re affiliated with, and I fully intend to enter that room. You can either let me pass or die……your choice.”

The guards stood their ground, the first firing on Kat who immediately knocked him back with a rocket punch, then lit them both up with her flamethrower. The burning men dropped their weapons and she quickly ended their screams with blaster bolt to the head. Her and Mako stepped over their charred corpses to enter the small room. The sole occupant was a small, twitchy Bith sitting at a computer.

“Zees K’lin?” Kat asked.

“Yes……please don’t shoot me!”

Kat sighed and looked over at Mako, “Why’s that always what people assume I’m here to do?!”

“Because most of the time you are,” Mako shrugged, “and you did just roast those two guards.”

“Hey, they shot first,” Kat defended herself, then turned to Zees, “Look, I’m not going to kill you. I just need to access some files that you were paid to encrypt.”

“Which files?”

“Do you really need to know?” Kat crossed her arms.

“I understand that having too much information is dangerous,” Zees nodded, “but I use different codes each time.”

“I need the codes for Eidelon Security.”

“Are you mad?!” Zees cried, “He’ll slaughter you…..and me for telling you!”

“I’ll slaughter you if you don’t….”

“Good point,” Zees conceded, “I suppose if I tell you, I can at least try to get off planet while he’s tracking you down.”

“See, there’s always a bright side,” Kat replied.

“Fair enough,” Zees said, picking up a small case. He opened it, took out the laptop and started it up. A few minutes later, he handed Kat a memory stick, “The codes for Eidelon Security are on that…..it will only work at one of their terminals though. Just have a slicer plug it in and you should be all set.”

“That wasn’t so difficult now was it?” Mako asked, “and I’m really good with slicing, so we’re good to go.”

“One thing,” Kat warned, “If I get there and find out you gave me bogus codes, I won’t rest until I’ve made you a bloody stain……got it?”

“It does me no good to do that,” Zees shuddered at the menacing growl that came from the hunter, “I know what you are and am going to be in enough trouble with Eidelon as it is.”

“Now what?” Mako asked.

“I can’t risk him letting Eidelon know I have his codes,” Kat sighed.

“But you promised not to hurt me,” Zees choked.

“I did, and I won’t……..knock him out, Mako,” Kat instructed, “and let’s get out of here.”

Mako pulled a strong sedative out of her backpack and injected the Bith with it. As soon as Zees was unconscious, the girls left the back office and Kat spoke to the staff once again.

“Zees is in back, sedated. He’ll be fine in a few hours,” Kat assured them, “I’m a woman of my word and you’re all safe as long as you don’t raise any alarms. However, if any of you are stupid enough to ignore my advice, I have a list of every employee here and I guarantee that I will hunt each and every one of you down.”

“Will we be able to leave?” the young woman who told them where Zees was asked timidly, “You said the door was rigged.”

“It is,” Kat nodded, “but I’ll remove the device when I exit the building. Just stay calm, let me go on my way without any trouble, and this’ll be nothing more than a rough day at work.”

They left then, Kat removing the device she’d planted on the way in, and calmly walked down the street, back towards the Exchange territory.

“You don’t really have an employee list…..do you?” Mako asked.

“Nope,” Kat answered, “but they don’t know that.”

They’d just put the Republic territory behind them when Kat’s Holo went off. Hoping it was news about her sister, she ducked into an empty alley, removed her helm, and answered.

“Talk to me, Jonas,” Kat said as soon as his image appeared.

“Risha just called me,” he quickly answered, “Tia’s tracker is active and she’s in the Upper Industrial sector. Are you guys still there?”

“Yes,” Kat nodded, “Send me the coordinates.”

“You got it,” Jonas replied, “It looks like she’s in a small warehouse in Cartel territory, so watch yourself.”

“I will,” Kat promised, “Thanks, Jonas.”

“No problem,” the agent nodded, “Contact me if you need backup and I’ll see what I can do. I already have a unit going in to assist Havoc down in Shadow Town and we’ve had some of our people disappear recently, making us shorthanded, so I can’t spare any agents. I do have some friends that owe me a favor if you need help though.”

“I appreciate it, Jonas, but this is a personal matter and I don’t want you sticking your neck out for us,” Kat told him, “Can you call Val and Jorgan so they’re aware what’s going on.”

“I planned on it……just wanted to call you first since you were closest. Keep me posted.”

“We’ll do,” Kat said and disconnected the call. She opened her backpack, loaded up her belt with several explosive devices, grabbed her datapad and brought up her map, putting in the coordinates Balkar sent.

“That’s not far at all,” Mako pointed out, looking at the map.

“Thank the stars,” Kat sighed, “I just hope I can get to her in time. Mako, like I told Jonas, this is a personal matter. It’s going to get ugly and I don’t want anything happening to you……”

“No, Kat,” Mako stopped her, “You’re my friend….like a sister even, which makes you the only family I really have right now. I’m coming with you and I promise to do whatever I can to help you get Tia out of there.”

Kat hugged her friend, as tears came to her eyes, “Thanks, Mako……and I swear, we’ll find out what’s up with your past.”

“I know,” Mako nodded, checking her equipment over in preparation for what was certain to be a challenge ahead.

A short time later found them in the Cartel territory, the warehouse looming ahead. Both women wore hard looks on their faces as they checked their armor and weapons one last time, the latter charged and ready.

“Ready?” Mako asked, catching Kat’s eye.

“Ready,” Kat answered as she began walking towards the building, her husky voice a cold promise of deadly retribution, “Time to make those bastards pay for taking my sister!”

Author’s Note:

Kitty Lovin and the Playmates is definitely something I made up and my most sincerest apologies to Pat Benatar and all of her fans for butchering her song in order to give Kat something to sing. It was a toss-up between Blondie’s ‘One Way or Another’ and Pat Benatar’s ‘Heartbreaker’…….yes, I’m old, I know this.

Also, forgive me for fudging with the BH storyline a bit…..it was better for my story if Zees was actually at the corporate office instead of the spaceport.

Edited by alaurin

If I keep this up, I may be making a full return. Alas, I suspect the extra time will dry up like a puddle in the desert heat.

Thankee once again for the kind comments.

This is something that started rattling around in my head a few minutes ago.

Prompt: Hell, I dunno...Strange Bedfellows or Stolen Moments, if either one or both of those is a thing :D

(Too lazy to look it up and too busy writing to want to lose the bug)

Characters: Deezl (Juggernaut), Thâsmii (Shadow), Lingus (sorcerer, mentioned), (unnamed sentinel, mentioned)

Timeline: End of Corellia-ish

Spoilers: Jedi Knight finale, Sith Warrior Ch3 Corellia, Sith Inquisitor Ch2.

Thâsmii snuggled closer to Deezl, her head on his chest, idly tracing the multitude of battle scars with her index finger. Yuan always encouraged me to follow my own path, but it's hard to think should approve of this.

The massive Sith tightened his arm around her, seeming to sense the pensive direction her thoughts had taken. "Centicredit for your thoughts. Are you worried about the upcoming battle?"

"No. I am at peace with what we have to do. The dark-side entity must be freed, and the Force tells me you're right to suspect interference. Darth Baras is truly insane, and should be stopped. I will help you, as you have helped me." The Jedi looked up at his face, still not quite seeing expression in those cold cybernetic eyes, but sensing the feelings behind them. "I'm not certain this was the right thing to do so soon before we do free her. Such intense feelings...it feels as if I have been holding my breath all my life, and have now exhaled for the first time."

Deezl chuckled good-naturedly, stroking the pink hair she had let down out of its complicated bun and braid arrangement...a genetic anomaly that came from who-knows-where in the genetic lottery, just like those white eyes that he found so mesmerizing. "It's humanoid nature, my dear. Releasing stress just before a difficult task. Fiction is filled with numerous examples."

"Are you certain that Lingus is the right person to help my brother? Does she understand the stakes? I trust you, but I've never met her. Will they have a chance against the Emperor? She would not..." She couldn't say it, but Deezl know her train of thought.

"Turn on him? I am not offended; that would be the Sith thing to do. But it would not be the smart thing to do, nor the right thing to do."

She relaxed a bit at that. "So Lingus is the sort of person to do the right thing?"

"My dear adopted sister is a lunatic. She enjoys inflicting pain for the sake of it, has a full measure of her Rattataki bloodline's savagery and love of battle, and craves power for power's sake. She has fully embraced the Sith ideal of freedom and power at all costs, and I am quite certain the ghosts in her head have driven her even more insane, as if she weren't bad enough already. I have no doubt she will one day have a hand in bringing down the Republic, if such a thing is possible. I no longer believe that it is."

Thâsmii stiffened at the first, and was growing more agitated throughout the speech as she heard more and more about the woman. The Jedi had entrusted her with the safety of her brother, the sentinel who was to once again confront the Emperor, now that his plan was obvious and at such a fragile point. His first confrontation had ended tragically and horribly, and she had not seen him for nearly a year.

Deezl sensed her fear and her burgeoning feelings of betrayal, and drank it in. Then she realized through the Force what he had been doing. "But she is my sister, she knows I love you, dear Jedi, and she has never let me down. She will do as she has promised, and help your brother defeat the Emperor."

The agitated Jedi snuggled back into the Sith in the cold room. "And after?"

"I cannot guarantee she will not turn on him after that. But if she as arrogant with him as I was with at our first meeting, she will come away with as visible a reminder."

She reached up to stroke the scar on his cheek. "Does it still hurt, my love?"

He took her hand at that moment and laughed full-throated. "What better reminder, for a Sith, of a first date?"

*smacks brain around a bit* Now, stop taking my thoughts in random directions. You better straighten up and fly right.

EDIT: Meh, this didn't come out as well as I hoped it would. Probably because I'm rushed once again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Adwynyth

Week of 1/17/2014

Marketing – Somebody’s always trying to sell our characters something. Ads, promotions, coupons, flashy events, and more try to attract footsteps and wallets. Sometimes our characters are trying to sell something – be it services, unwanted equipment, or a cargo hold’s worth of hot merchandise. Besides all that, somebody’s got to be the face of advertising campaigns. Sometimes the advertising is right on and sometimes it’s…exaggerated. Write about your character’s experience with marketing.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

This week's featured NotLP:

Bad Timing - Sometimes, the worst thing about something is when it happens. Even a good thing can end up being not-so-great if the timing is wrong. Write about a time when your character had to deal with something that just plain came at the wrong time.

Finally caught up on my reading!!

*Index note-I updated the Index last night, but ended up having to shift things around again, so please take a moment (when you have one to spare) and check over your portion in case something got cut off......I'm pretty meticulous, but it did happen once.

Comments/Replies:

@elliotcat: Wow!! I can't imagine how it would feel to be betrayed by a family member like that! What 'you know who' did to the SW was bad enough, but if that person were family.......not sure how one would recover from that!

@Yoshi: Oo......I never thought I'd like Thana, but wow.......nicely done Methic! Also, I'm loving this finale and the classes working together. It's great how you separated the perspectives, intermingling the companions. I look forward to Dankin and Prudii's perspectives!!

@marissalf: Awwww, that one hit the feels......poor Ellis and poor Mel for having to do what was necessary in the end. A very moving piece!

@alaurin, Tia’s very good at using whatever she’s got to her advantage — the high heels, the mating cycle, etc.. She would indeed make a good SIS agent, and I think that would be an interesting option to explore.
I think so too and I intend to explore her cloak and dagger talents a little. In my head, Tia is a blend of Michele Pfieffer and Anne Hatheway's Catwoman with a smattering of Jessica Rabbit thrown in.

@Stridges:

Alaurin: “go out with a bang” indeed. Clever, clever Tia
You have no idea how happy I am that someone caught that line.....thanks! My sense of humor tends to be snarky and sarcastic, and maybe I'm the only one who really gets my little jokes/puns/one liners or thinks they're funny, but I was giggling when I wrote that one, hoping someone would get it!

@kabeone: Kat on a rampage is a scary thing indeed! I feel bad for Jorgan whenever I put him through the wringer, but then I remember Ord Mantell and the guilt fades a little.

@alaurin.......... And yes! Thank you for the index, it is very helpful for me especially now that I fall so far behind in stories sometimes.
I'm glad it's useful and thank you for starting it in the first place and keeping it up for as long as you did!!!

@DarthSillyMonkey: Awwww, fond memories of Hutta! Drokk is so sweet sometimes! *sigh* I really liked Juda and I loved how you made her part of the crew.....nicely done!

@Alaurin: Hmm, I keep looking on my Trooper, but I can't find the "Sex Appeal Attack" button! Loved how she was thinking of Jorgan, even though it felt like she reaaaally didn't want to. Things are about to get dark, can't wait!
LOL, maybe BW is saving that particular attack in case they decide to make an SIS Agent available as a class for the Republic. Tia's inner thoughts/conflict on Jorgan are going to come out soon and yes, things are going to get really dark.

@frauzet:

“Absolute peace is a lie. It’s the ultimate balance. Death. Nobody left and nothing left to fight for. When you join a fight telling me, there is only peace, I say you are deluding yourself.

I think we agree, that we are all connected through the Force. And the Force strives after balance. Think of it as a plate balanced atop a pin. The followers of the light side being at one edge of the plate and those of the dark side at the opposite edge, some lost ones scattered in between. Neither side is able to win by destroying the other, by pushing them off the plate. The plate would topple over. Maybe long ago we set out from the middle of the plate and drifted farther and farther apart. Someone edging closer to one side requires someone edging closer to the other side as well in order to keep the plate from toppling. Whatever we do has consequences for all of us. The farther apart we drift, the more difficult it is to keep the plate in balance. Small disturbances lead to big consequences. We don’t communicate. Everybody reacts independently. We all have to do a lot of scrambling to balance our plate again.

What I propose is the endeavor to slowly and carefully move back to the center of the plate again and try to work on some coordination between our sides. But we would have to move very carefully as to not upset the balance of our plate accidentally. Every slight movement towards the middle would help to ease the situation as I see it. You and me, we could make a first move.”

I really love this description and the proposed solution to the problem. I think Ciner and Timmns are capable of starting this after working together.

@alaurin: Thank you very much, for updating the index.

I like the dynamic between Kat and Jorgan.

You are more than welcome for the Index and I'm always glad to hear it's being used! Yes, Kat and Jorgan do have a fun dynamic......that's not going to change.

@Adwynyth: I'm really loving the NPC's people are choosing to bring into their crews! I liked Halidrell and am happy to see her become part of Deezl's crew (as opposed to what really happens)! I also loved the open, honest interaction between her and Vette.....very sweet, yet character defining for both. It will be interesting to see how she gets along with the rest!

@Lesaberisa: Is it wrong that I laughed at that bit with Malicineve? Poor Vette, but I could just picture Malicineve's face as she poked at Vette on the ground, wondering if she broke her present. I think Olympia's going to be sorely tested with Hay'de indeed! Also, I am really, really, REALLY loving Amurri's backstory and I eagerly wait for more! I liked the tie in with the SI cult as well as the brief interaction with Amitia.

Beating it was nothing, like celebrating outfighting a small child or Mantellian farmboy.
hehe, did you just sneak in a dig at Corso?

@Alaurin - Ah the Zardres/Andrik conversation. I ended up poking fun at it in my separate topic but Andrik really does have the worst timing. And people skills.
I never liked Andrik......thought he was a bigger turd than Jorgan.

" the loud crack that echoed in the room when Kat’s armored fist connected with Aric’s jaw. "...hmm speaking of fantasies
LOL, I'll confess that I was thinking of you and DarthSillyMonkey when I wrote that part! :D

“Oh, you are a naughty girl…..I like that,” Davil chuckled, winking at her as he slowly began to pull his shirt over his head.

...the head that isn't doing the thinking for him, tragically.

The downfall of many a man......

@Bright: I can see Wynston asking Keeper to join him.....she was another NPC that I really liked. One of these days, I really should go through the IA storyline as a male character. I get the feeling it would be quite different from the fem agent.

@alaurin, nudging at the edges of forum safety! Nice to see Tiannya can take care of herself, since nobody else is really in a position to save the day just then.
Yeah......just a slight push at the boundary with that bit, made me a little nervous in fact. Tia can definitely take care of herself and will use any means necessary to do so, a skill she was driven to hone after what happened with Zyra.

@Magdalane: Good for Miriah, showing up both Darmas and Corso! Neither man will see her quite the same after.....and I can definitely see Corso being further smitten with her actions.

Some separate commentary for IA spoilers:

@Marissalf: Two of the NPC's that my Chiss fem agent wanted a steamy one nighter with were Sanju Pyne and Aristocra Saganu (oh, that voice.....*drool*). Thank you for giving me closure on the former......maybe one day I'll write up something about the latter! ;)

@Phyreblade: Oh, that was fantastic!! I really loved your descriptions and how you tied those two classes together. I've often wondered how Watcher X escapes if allowed to live and what it does to the story down the road. Sadly, my fem Agent killed him at the end of Nar Shaddaa.

Apologies for posting another story so soon (probably the last for a few days) and I know it was the prompt from two weeks ago, but I couldn't decide which companion I wanted to ditch (there are a couple). Then this nugget popped into my head yesterday and I decided to go with it! So, deviating from their current story, I give you this offering for Kat.....

Title: Why Didn’t I Think of This Sooner?!

Prompt: Why Are You Still Here?

Character: Katrynka-BH

Setting: D5 Mantis, sometime after this.

Spoilers: early companion spoiler for Skadge, other than that, none that I can think of....

“Hey,” came a bellow from the crew quarters, a moment later, Kat both felt and heard heavy steps on stairs.

“What now?” Kat sighed, wrinkling her nose at the acrid odor that assaulted her as the revolting Houk approached, does he know we have a shower on the ship?

“Why ain’t we chasing down that bounty?” Skadge, aka WonderBlub from the epic graphic novel series The Adventures of Super Spacer and Killer Kat Babe, demanded.

“Which bounty?”

“The one we got sent yesterday,” Skadge answered.

“You mean the Republic Spec Forces one?”

“Yeah, that one! What gives?!”

“Skadge,” Kat began, the young Cathar rubbing her temples as she tried to find the words that would penetrate the pea sized brain of the witless wonder. She heard a muffled snort come from the bridge and shot Mako a glare before returning to the daunting task of making Skadge understand something, “Listen carefully, that bounty involved hunting down and capturing a squad of six highly trained Republic Special Forces soldiers. There isn’t enough credits out there to make me want to tangle with them…….for several reasons.”

“I ain’t afraid of some puny soldiers,” Skadge crossed his arms, “I wanna go after somethin’!”

Kat felt the insane urge to slam her head into the nearest wall in frustration that there was an actual sentient in the galaxy as stupid as the Houk currently staring at her. Why, oh why did I ever agree to let him tag along, she wondered, not for the first time. However, Skadge wasn’t completely useless. He came in handy for those tougher, more resistant targets. Plus, he was a former Black Sun member and familiar with how they ran some of their operations. Unfortunately, his bullying personality grated on Kat as well as the rest of the crew and they were more than ready to see the end of him. Kat’s biggest problem was that she felt bad turning someone out……a throwback to her days living with Jessa, the kindly old woman who took in orphans off the streets of Nar Shaddaa. I really thought he would’ve moved on by now, she mused, stars I wish he’d just get himself killed one of these days……her thoughts trailed off as a wicked idea began to form in her mind.

Kat smiled at the disgusting blob in front of her, “You know, Skadge, you can always feel free to take on that bounty solo if you like.”

“Really?”

“Really,” Kat nodded, squelching the urge to start a victory dance, “Hell, I’ll even let you take whatever equipment you want, but I’m having no part of it. You’re welcome to ask the others, but I don’t think they’re going to change their minds about it.” She was sure Gault would refuse, the intelligent former con man was all about protecting his own hide, although lately he’d been acting a little odd……sticking his neck out in the face of danger on recent hunts. Despite this mysterious, newfound spark of courage, Kat didn’t think he’d go after such a high risk military target. Even Torian was leery, and that was before they knew which squad it was. Blizz was happy to go along with whatever Kat and Mako wanted, the adorable little Jawa considered them family. Nope, he’ll definitely be on his own……why didn’t I think of this sooner!

“I get all the credits though!” Skadge insisted, breaking into Kat’s thoughts.

“If you solo the hunt and succeed, the pay’s all yours,” Kat smiled encouragingly, this is almost too easy….

“Good, then I can finally get outta this trash heap and find some classy digs,” Skadge muttered as he went to make preparations.

“Happy Hunting!” Kat practically sang, and bursting with excitement, she rushed to the bridge.

Mako, having heard the whole thing and barely able to keep a lid on the joyful cheer in her throat, was waiting inside the doorway, “Is he really going?”

“Yes!” Kat squeeked, clapping excitedly.

Mako clasped Kat’s hands and the two women began jumping for joy as they squealed and giggled like schoolgirls who just got asked out by the most popular boy in class. A few minutes later, they heard two sets of footsteps bounding up the stairs, Torian and Gault appearing in the doorway seconds later, the former staring at the petite slicer he had a crush on, the latter envisioning the scene with schoolgirl uniforms and trampolines.

“Did I just hear correctly?” Gault asked as soon as the girls settled down, almost afraid to hope, “Is WonderBlub really going after that bounty……alone?”

“You ears aren’t deceiving you,” Kat confirmed.

“Oh, he’s toast,” Torian nodded, eyes wide.

“I really hope so!” Kat grinned, holding up crossed fingers.

“After all this time trying to get him to leave,” Mako sighed, “We should celebrate.”

“Hey,” Gault drawled, his eyes narrowing suspiciously at Kat, “How did you manage to convince him to go after certain death without backup? I mean, he’s got the brains of a bantha, but even those have basic survival instincts.”

“He certainly smells like one,” Kat snorted, “In fact, we should have TooVee fumigate the ship after he’s gone. Hell, I’ll even spring for a suite at Club Vertica while it’s taken care of.”

“Oh, I’m definitely behind that idea!” Mako chimed in, giving Kat a thumbs up.

“So……” Gault prompted.

“So, nothing,” Kat shrugged, “Honest. Skadge came upstairs, asked why we weren’t going after that bounty. I told him the same things we talked about last night……in simpler terms.”

“And….”

“And he said he wasn’t afraid of some puny soldiers,” Kat rolled her eyes, “Then an idea popped in my head and I told Skadge he was more than welcome to take the bounty himself.”

“Just like that, huh?” Gault prodded, the sly Devaronian certain there was more to it.

“Well, I might’ve told him he could take any equipment he wanted,” Kat admitted.

“That explains why Blizz is hiding his stuff,” Torian said.

“That can’t be it,” Gault accused, “What else did you promise him?”

Kat flashed him a brilliant smile, bracing herself for the reaction her next words would bring, “Well, I sorta promised he could keep the whole payout if he’s successful……”

“What?!” Gault choked, “Why would you do that?!”

“Jeez, Gault,” Mako cuffed him, “It’s not like he’s going to be success……”

“Quiet,” Kat hissed, cutting her friend off, “He’s coming!”

“Hey twerps,” Skadge poked his large boulder of a head inside the cockpit, Torian fanning his nose at the smell, “I’m outta here!” The grotesque blight nearly tripped over Blizz on the way to the stairs, “Watch it you little rodent,” he muttered before going downstairs to leave. The five of them held their breaths until they heard the door close.

Once again, Mako and Kat clasped hands and began jumping for joy, this time singing, “WE GOT RID OF SKADGE, HE’S AS GOOD AS DEAD, WE GOT RID OF SKADGE, WE’LL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN!!!”

“I still can’t believe you offered him the take,” Gault muttered, crossing his arms as he glanced at bounty board, a look of wistful contemplation on his face.

“No Gault,” Kat shook her head, reaching up to flick his unbroken horn with her claw, “You’re not going with him.......think about it.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Gault let out a long drawn out sigh, “I just wish it was another Spec Forces squad……that’s a lot of credits to turn down.”

“Speaking of Spec Forces,” Mako giggled, “You gonna call your sister and tell her Havoc is now being hunted?”

“I’m not sure,” Kat mused, “I’d hate for them to go easy on Skadge thinking he’s with us still……and it’s not like he’s going to be able to do any serious damage before they either capture or kill him.”

“She could get footage though,” Mako suggested.

“Good point.”

“I’d like to see that!” Torian admitted, smiling shyly at Mako.

“Oh, hey,” Gault’s greedy eyes lit up as yet another money making scheme entered his crafty mind, “We could ask Tia to get us footage, then we edit and sell it…….make a series out of it in fact…..yeah, I can see it now, Daring Hunts Gone Bad……wow, that sounds good…..I need to write this down…..oh, and gotta come up with a fitting end to WonderBlub……hmmmm, who should I have kill him?”

Kat and Mako just shook their heads as the Devaronian trailed off, rushing downstairs to sketch out his newest moneymaker.

Author’s Note:

You have no idea how happy writing this piece made me……:cool:

Also, for anyone new to my stuff, the graphic novel series The Adventures of Super Spacer and Killer Kat Babe is something I made up and was introduced here.

Edited by alaurin

@Adwynyth, ah, already working the newcomer into the chore rotation. Smart Vette. As for Deezl, way to be not at all comforting. The sentinel's going to have his work cut out for him.

@YoshiRaphElan, so the first part of their plan worked...can't wait to see how this goes.

@Magdalane, I really wasn't sure what Miriah was going to do here...I love the image of Darmas nodding off while Miriah sits in perfect comfort.

@alaurin, love Kitty Lovin! I heard "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" on the radio on the way home and thought of Pat Benakat. Kat Benatar? Anyway, onward! I don't often say I love an image with Skadge in it, but I love the image of him lumbering off to take on Havoc Squad (and, we all hope, get flattened).

I should add, @frauzet, I think that Wynston will indeed treasure the fact that Keeper gave him a moment's consideration. It's one thing to know that she always calculates all the options, but it's a lot more solid to hear her say out loud that, for a few moments at least, she really did think about coming with him on his grand new venture as a colleague and professional counterpart and, well, support. Edited by bright_ephemera

I need to catch up on my reading, actually. Makes me glad I have a long weekend to look forward to! Let me toss these up in the meantime. I'll get to some comments a bit later, promise.

Prompt: Marketing

Title: Junk Part is Right

Character: My Bounty Hunter, Kastiel. Along with Mako and Gault

Setting: Imperial Fleet, actually. Speeder shopping!

Spoilers: I played around with this notion, during the period where Torian went off on his hunt to Dxun. In my story, this took place after Kas wrapped up business on Quesh, just before she headed off to Hoth. Romance with Torian is well in play at this point.

Note: I cleaned this up for language big time.

"The Lhosan Duster is a speeder of stellar design, perfect for such a discerning customer as you yourself, I'm sure." The salesman waved his dark-skinned hands excitedly, trying to entice Kastiel towards a closer examination of the stupid bikes. She sighed, glancing to the side towards Mako, who was glaring at her as she stood there tapping a small foot impatiently.

"Are you kidding, Kas? This is the fourth speeder we've looked at today, for crying out loud! What's wrong with this one?" Mako pointed agitatedly at the machine. Kastiel grinned toothily at her.

"It's too long."

"Long? What the kriff do you mean by too long?"

"Looks like a needle-thing, all stretched out and long. And I don't like the paint color."

"Oh gods, I give up."

Gault chuckled as he leaned over the speeder, set up on a pedestal in the market section of the Imperial spacedock. He poked and prodded against the thing's controls, until the salesman angrily pushed his hands away, muttering something about "alien refuse". Gault rolled his eyes, "Bet you'd take my credits, though, huh?" The short human glared at him in response, until his thin, angular face took on a very rat-like appearance. Very unappealing, Kas thought.

Kastiel sighed towards Mako. "I bet you real credits Gault was better at selling speeders than this lowlife. On Tatooine, to boot."

Mako had gone rigid when the man insulted Gault, stood there now like a stiff little statue. Hell, she didn't even glance at the shiny speeders on their pretty stands anymore. Well, there was at least that small benefit from the ordeal of tramping along through the dang market stalls, at least. Gods, she hated shopping. How did women put up with this crap every day, Kastiel wondered.

Mako snorted, "No bet, Kas. I think we both know this idiot isn't getting a single one of our credits at least."

"See? I told you my little Orlean speeder was good enough." Kastiel smirked as they started sauntering away from the stall, where the salesman was starting to splutter unhappily. Which, of course, made Kastiel happy. Especially when Gault followed her, a big goofy-looking grin stretching across his red, angular face. Wasn't it grand, when everyone ended up happy after a day of shopping, she thought.

"Don't think I'm going to drop it, either. That Orlean thing you ride around on is a piece of bantha poo." Mako was practically stomping her foot. Again. This argument was becoming entirely too old, Kas thought.

"Hey, I like it. It fits all my junk there on the back."

"You got the junk part right, at least."

Kastiel stopped, staring hard at Mako with a bemused expression on her face. "What the heck's wrong, Mako? Crap, if you want a new speeder, I'll buy you one."

Mako sighed. "It's not me that needs one. Come on, Kas! You're the Grand Champion, and you still ride around on a crappy old speeder and a beat-up old ship. We're making enough credits now that you can afford nice things."

Gault watched the confused frown on Kastiel's face deepen, and laughed. "Mako, face it. Kastiel is one of those incredibly unique women who honestly doesn't give a kriffing heck about 'nice' things. Girl, you have to sell her on the practicality of a thing, in order to truly entice her."

Mako narrowed her gaze as she contemplated the Devaronian. "Fine. Let's see you do better."

"Is this a dare, my beauteous companion here in my aged retirement?"

"Aged retirement, my tail. And heck yea it's a dare!"

"What do I get when I win?"

"When you win? Please. If you win, I'll buy you that snazzy pair of pants I saw you eyeing at that stall down the way."

"You're on." Gault smiled at Kastiel, who had spent the entire time they hashed out the particulars of their bet glancing back and forth between them as if they were playing a game of pong right in front of her. "Kas, my sweet. Have you considered that our utterly adorable Mando companion, oh so recently added to our grand traveling troupe, lacks a suitable land speeder of his own? He's been borrowing mine ever since he joined the crew, mind you."

Kastiel frowned. "Druk. You think someone on this floating bucket of a spacedock would have a spare Orlean they're trying to get rid of? Come on, let's go find one."

Mako's jaw dropped as Kastiel turned and marched back towards the market section of the spacedock without even looking to see if they were following her. Gault chuckled as he meandered after her, "Better go and grab me my new pants, Mako. Chop, chop."

Prompt: Bad Timing

Title: Dxun

Character: Corridan Ordo and Jagger, from the Bounty Hunter story

Spoilers: I included this in Kastiel's story, to try and emphasize one of the scenes that Torian alludes to during his companion conversations. It's very brief, actually. This is what's happening during Kastiel's shopping trip, that I described under the "Marketing" prompt, hehe. To be clear -- Corridan is the one with "bad timing", here.

The zakkeg burst through the driving rain, warbling a maddened cry of rage and aggression as it rushed towards them, there. Corridan shouted a warning, trying to leap out of the creature's way. But he cursed loudly as his feet came out from underneath him, so that he slid pathetically through the squelching mud of the jungle floor to land in a soggy lump onto his back. He was certain he'd be trampled under the massive paws of the stocky animal's feet. The zakkeg even trumpeted what sounded like a victorious roar as it spied the downed Mandalorian, and turned its beady snout in his direction. Corridan sighed as the thing came at him, held his chin up and waited, felt the ground shaking under him as the zakkeg came closer and closer.

And then it belched out a vicious cry of pain and distress, as one of the other warriors jetted into the side of its head with force enough its charge was neatly turned aside. The beast's momentum was hard enough, though, so that it ran face first into the yawning trunk of a towering tree just to the side of where Corridan lay splayed out like a flat cake on a hot cooking surface. Corridan shouted again, "Jagger!" Then he twisted his frame, trying to pull his legs up under him so that he could get up and fight, help Jagger confront the creature.

The Mandalorians were all yelling, moving quickly towards the downed figure of their alor'ad and grabbing him under both arms, yanking and pulling him towards a more reasonable distance from the now-bleeding zakkeg. Jagger was closest to the beast, standing as firmly as he could in the muddy soil of the ground nearby the tree. He watched as the zakkeg swung around, fast enough that blood flew from its torn-up jaws to splatter against the tree trunk, the ground around it, and even Jagger's own boots. He grunted, while Corridan shouted angrily at the warriors around him to help Jagger kill the animal.

Jagger raised up his rifle, sighted down the end. And he fired, loosing a bolt that flew across the short distance towards the soft vulnerable section of neck under the zakkeg's horned head. The zakkeg bleated wetly through the new hole in its neck, spinning its head once again from the pain of the wound. It actually slammed its own head back against the tree, gouging another huge gash into the wood. The second blow was intense, as more blood gushed from the dying animal's mouth.

Corridan finally came to his feet just as the zakkeg hit the ground, so that its last breath huffed loudly through the wet, humid air. The Mandalorian troop froze, everyone stopping to gaze in bewilderment at the downed monster of a trophy. Corridan stared across the way towards Jagger, frowning. "Well. Damn it. You ruined my skillful kill of the thing, Jagger. I was laying there waiting for it to expose its belly to my attack. Didn't you see?"

Snorts and chuckles gradually descended into wild gales of laughter, all of it rising above the steady dripping of the rain and interspersed with cheers and shouts of victory. "Oya! Oya, Jagger!"

Title - The Final Battle–Prudii's Perspective

Class - Trooper

No spoilers

Prudii watched the first wave of buildings collapsed, snapped up his rifle, and opened fire as Imperial forces clambered over the now-flat buildings. Jorgan and HK-51 slowly drew their rifles and joined the fight. Vik and Yuun leapt in, weapons slashing. Then suddenly, Dha, Gault, and Corso took off running toward the generator. Prudii realized he hadn't been listening to his comm.

"Say again, Command," he snapped. "Say again."

"Saboteurs headed for the shield generator," Madine repeated.

Prudii snarled in Mando'a. Leaving Jorgan and HK-51 to take on the Imperials, he took Forex with him and sprinted for the generator. Too late. A second later, the generator exploded in a column of white light. Prudii was thrown to the ground, and Dha landed on top of him. Grunting, Prudii pushed his brother off and rolled to his feet, panting. He looked up and saw the blue shield generator disintegrating.

A moment later, the Imperial artillery opened fire.

A shell smashed into the ground near Prudii, disintegrating two Republic troops near him. Gritting his teeth, Prudii charged forward alongside Dha, Corso, Forex, and Gault. He ejected his knuckle-plate vibroblade and rammed it into an Imperial's gut, spun, kicked another Imp in the face, and then bashed a third with his rifle butt. Then, he sprayed a sheet of blue blaster bolts that cut down an Imperial major and three of his troopers.

Another artillery shot.

Prudii lost sight of anything and then he was on his back, looking up into Jorgan's face. Looking into his face. Why isn't he wearing a helmet...? That's when Prudii realized he was looking into the faces of three Aric Jorgans. His helmet's visor had shattered in the blast. Wincing, he pulled his helmet off. Jorgan held out a hand to help Prudii up. His lips moved but Prudii heard nothing.

"What?" Prudii demanded loudly.

"I said, get up, sir!" Jorgan grabbed Prudii under the arm. "You've gotten from Ord Mantell to here and I'll be karked before I let you die here! So stand up and fight!"

Prudii felt revitalized by Jorgan's words. The Cathar knew how to motivate his men, even when they were his superiors. Grinning around blood running from his nose, Prudii stood, got a grip on his rifle–flesh left hand on the barrel, cybernetic right hand on the grip–and opened fire on the army of at least five hundred advancing Imps.

Title - The Final Battle–Dankin's Perspective

Class - Smuggler

No spoilers

Dankin yanked his goggles off and threw them aside. They were useless now, since the shield generator's explosion had turned them permanently black. He rolled aside just as a volley of blaster bolts passed by where he'd been a moment ago. Grabbing his blasters from their holsters, he turned and fired.

His gut churned. There must have been hundreds of Imps, advancing down the narrow "avenue" in the center of the base. They trampled over the flattened buildings, charged between gaps, and cut down the soldiers in their way. Grimly, Dankin sighted up and fired. He took down one Imp with a shot to the throat, then another by frying the control panel on his chest and causing his armor to explode. A third he killed when he shot the grenade out of the man's hand.

Corso shoved his way through the crowd of milling Republic and Imperial forces over to Dankin's side. He had Torchy in one hand, and Hewey in a backhand grip in his offhand. Wordlessly, he rolled over under the cover Dankin was using and began snapping off shots. Then he fixed a small, one-time use rocket booster on his boot, and let it launch him into the midst of the Imps, right beside Akaavi and Torian. Torchy flashed while Hewey expertly found gaps in Imperial armor.

Grinning, Dankin hurled a sabotage charge onto the boot of an Imperial, and a moment later shot the charge, sending up an explosion that killed the Imp and three others surrounding him. A blue light flashed, and Dankin saw the Jedi advancing through the pack of Imps. There was Jasin, and Kira, and Ylenia. Then Scourge. All the others. One Jedi, a Duros, fell to a blaster bolt from behind, and another, a human, received a vibroblade stab to the chest.

Force pushes sent Imps flying, and Dankin shot one out of the air. A colonel, clad in his gray uniform, shouted for another artillery barrage. Dankin shot his comlink from his hand and then sent another bolt into the man's throat. Less than thirty seconds later, the artillery barrage began...right where the Jedi were centered.

"Corso!" Dankin snapped. "Ylenia!"

Corso perked up, sprinting over to where the woman of his dreams was fighting. He grabbed her by the waist and shoved her to the ground as the artillery shells exploded. The ground shook, but most of the Jedi survived the assault. Corso and Ylenia dragged themselves up and dusted their armor and robes off, and then returned to the fight. Dankin breathed a sigh of relief.

Then he got an idea. He triggered his beckon call for his freighter and quickly transmitted a series of orders. He heard the ship's engines start up and it lift off; he also heard Kendra Novar, a Republic pilot who'd been working with him, shouting at the ship to come back. Kendra snarled threw down her pilot goggles, and rushed over to Dankin's side.

"What the kark, Dankin?" she exclaimed.

"Sorry," he said, "the ship was needed. You want to fight? Here–" he pulled a holdout blaster from his boot, "–use this."

With a grunt of annoyance, Kendra accepted the pistol and opened fire. Several minutes into the fighting, a blaster bolt flashed toward them and caught Kendra in the shoulder. She let out a low growl and grasped uselessly at the wound.

"Hold still," Dankin commanded. "Guss, get over here!"

The Mon Calamari rushed over, dodging several blaster bolts as they sailed past, and returning fire as he did, and looked at Kendra's wound. His fishy lips pursed worriedly but he took out a medpac and quickly bandaged the wound.

"She'll be all right," Guss said.

Dankin sighed in relief. That, at least, was one bright spot. He stood, opened fire with both blasters, and looked in horror at the mass of corpses, both Republic and Imperial. This wasn't a battle, it was a slaughter.

And still, they fought on.

Dankin. Prudii. Jasin. Dha. Ylenia. Havoc Squad.

They fought.

And then it was over.

Prompt - Goodbye

Title - The Clean Up

Class - Trooper/Smuggler/Jedi Knight/Bounty Hunter

Minor smuggler Act 3 spoilers, nothing but a name

They stood, looking over the vast expanse that had, just days before, held hundreds of corpses. But it was over now, and thank the Force for it. During the battle, ten Jedi Knights, three Padawans, and a hundred fifty Republic soldiers had lost their lives, but the Imperials had taken far more casualties, and had officially surrendered.

It had come to a closing point when the shooting had finally stopped. Rising from the rubble, Jasin spied the Imperial commander, a Sith Lord named Quux, standing. Quux had taken a gauntlet vibroblade from Prudii to the gut–and the blade had snapped off of Prudii's armor, leaving it still lodged in Quux's body. Blood ran from a deep gash on Quux's forehead.

Jasin had his own fair share of injuries. Blood smeared his face from his nose, lips, and half a dozen cuts from a fragmentation grenade that had exploded near him. Blaster holes tore through his robe and armor in seven different places.

Determined to end it once and for all, Jasin ignited his lightsaber and leapt in, swinging its blue shaft at Quux's head. The Sith Pureblood had brought up twin purple lightsaber shotos to block the blow, and they had dueled. Quux dealt several severe injuries to Jasin, to the point that the Jedi Knight had been unable to stand. But, valiant to the end, he'd hurled the weapon end over end, to impale Quux deep in the chest.

After that, Quux's second in command, Moff Zamar, had surrendered unconditionally to Commander Madine. The surviving Imperial troopers, far fewer than their dead, had been taken to POW camps, and Zamar himself held to be tried for war crimes against the Republic at the Battle of Corellia–mostly to enrage General Rakton into acting foolishly.

Madine had officially handed over power back to government officials and pulled his troops off of the planet to their next mission. Elara went with Dha and his crew back to Mandalore for the rest of her pregnancy. Prudii and the remainder of Havoc Squad were sent by Garza to break into an Imperial compound on Fest. Now, only Jasin and his crew, Dankin and his crew, and Ylenia stood looking over where the camp had once been.

"So, where do we go from here?" asked Doc.

"We'll go back to Tython for now," Jasin said. "Then we'll wait until we find out where we're needed most, and go there." He glanced at Ylenia. "If you want, you can hitch a ride with us."

She hesitated, and Jasin noticed her hand was interlocked with Corso's. "I think...I think I'll stay with Captain Dankin for the time being, as Master Sumalee's liaison to the Voidhound Fleet."

Jasin saw Kira beaming, and knew her plan had worked. Ylenia had an interest in Corso. So Jasin nodded.

"Yeah, all right." He jerked his head toward the two docked ships. "All right, then. Let's get out of here."

And so, the Battle of Toprawa ended.