View Single Post

Andryah
11.07.2013 , 10:21 AM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
Completely disagree, the people who are going to be attracted to his poll and to his particular sub forum in general are not a fair cross sample of the player base or even the Subscriber Player Base. Or rather I should say there is no proof that that the interests of the people who bother to come to the General Forum Thread are a fair cross sample of the Subscriber User base. The Bias is built into how and where the poll, which is why Self Selected Polls have a major source of bias that you just can't get rid of. It's the same reason why putting a poll for customers of say McDonalds in the dine in booth section of the stores would be a bad idea, you are completely ignoring Drive through orders and people who come in but don't sit down and eat, and to pretend that people who eat in the restaurant automatically have the same break down and interests as the other 2 groups is foolish.
Context of what you are seeking in a poll is very important. In this case, the poll seeks to acquire a stable statistical view of what subscribers crave in the way of future content.

The poll is in the official forums, in general discussion (the most popular and heavily trafficked part of the forum), and is a subscriber only aperture. Any forum member (regardless their bias) is equally able to enter the poll. The poll is a one-question/up-to-5-selections poll, which inoculates it from agenda bias.

IF your intention is to extract a representative view from subscribers as to what things they would like in the future, it is sufficiently randomized by the above elements to avoid any notable bias of any sub-faction of subscribers.. and that is the key for this poll.

On the other hand.. IF the intention of the poll is to gain a representative view of anyone who is playing, has played, or might play SWTOR... it is extremely flawed and biased.

The fact that the poll results stabilized early (around 200 respondents) that for all practical purposes it is bias free (in the context of subscribers). If you did this same poll with a random selection of 200 subscribers in game (if it was possible to determine subscriber from spoofer, but it's not) I bet the numbers come out within a few percentage points of what we have here. In other words, within the normal uncertainty of a poll.

The outcome of this poll does not match with my personal selections in the poll and desires. However, I am objective enough to embrace the poll as fair representation of what the collective community of subscribers want... and I support it on those grounds regardless of the fact that it does not match my personal desires.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.